[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Conlang

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1200px-Conlangflag.svg.png (74KB, 1200x742px) Image search: [Google]
1200px-Conlangflag.svg.png
74KB, 1200x742px
What would an Equestrian [constructed] language be like:
- Its name
- Its phonology
- Its orthography (if there is any)
- Could it be speakable by humans?
- Agglunative or analytic?
- Cases?
- Tenses?
- Would different regions have different dialects?
>>
>>29578158
Finally, something that's up my alley.
I haven't the first clue of a name, but I imagine its phonology would be that of the standard human vocal range, thus making it speakable by us. I'd imagine an agglutinative, highly descriptive language, with a sampling of cases and tenses. Dialectial variation would most likely be subtle, comparable to say the differences between Pittsburghese and Midwestern American English.
Writing systems are what intrigue me the most, and I'd imagine it to either have a logography based on pictograms or hieroglyphs, or an alphabet/abugida with intricate symbols.
>>
they all have to sound like pony joe because that horse has a boston accent.
>>
>>29578195
I'd like to think the language has a rather low amount of letters/sounds in their alphabet (if they do have an alphabet) though relatively long words too

I agree with abugida
>>
bumping for interest
>>
File: photo_2017-02-28_04-12-32.jpg (127KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
photo_2017-02-28_04-12-32.jpg
127KB, 960x1280px
>>29578158
>>
>>29578158
I know nothing about actual languages, but am monitoring this thread out of interest.

Some thoughts:

- In addition to modern Equestrian, there may have been tribal variations from the old ways - ranging from dialects to straight up separate languages. I've always presumed modern written Equestrian would use the unicorns' language, but spoken would be more related to Earth Ponies' tongues.

- However, written Equestrian would have slowly trended towards being written with discrete, straight lines and minimizing curls, as it'd make writing the language considerably easier for the two-thirds of the population who have to use their mouths.

- Since ponies are at the very least highly social and at the most herd creatures, I wonder if they have different 'tenses' referring to various groups of ponies. So if you asked where a pony was and were told 'sleeping', there'd be a 'tense' to determine if it's in bed with just nuclear family, crashed with some friends, in a large dormitory, etc.
>>
I wish I paid more attention and didn't forget everything I learned in my linguistics class
>>
Probably something like the language the Houyhnhnm speak in Gulliver's Travels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houyhnhnm
>The name is pronounced either /ˈhuːJnəm/ or /ˈhwJnəm/. (Swift apparently intended all words of the Houyhnhnm language to echo the neighing of horses.)
>>
Speaking old languages what do you linguists think of: latin, egyptian, (atlantean) and the very very old english pre-Elisabeth era?
>>
>Rape of Aphophis.
>>
bump .
>>
So how do you get started on learning linguistics?
>>
>>29582772
For pre-existing languages, explore their wikipedia pages. You can find a good amount of information on nearly every natural language, and the major conlangs like Esperanto or Interlingua. Zompist.com has some great resources if you want to start building your own language. Be warned - making a whole language is easier said than done!
>>
bumping for interest
again
>>
Who created the Klingon language again?
>>
bumpss
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.