[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A Historical Perspective (CYOA) Thread the VIII

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 294
Thread images: 5

File: GildedLily__Scribe_with_acc.png (745KB, 3564x2448px) Image search: [Google]
GildedLily__Scribe_with_acc.png
745KB, 3564x2448px
"I'd be happy to accompany, Lily." ,you say, eager to sped some time with your captain, in spite of how tired you are. "What about you, Golet? Would you like to go for a swim?"
>You watch as Golet's face contorts into a mild grimace, her gaze knocking back and forth between you and Lily.
>"It is my duty to protect you, Master, and I do so happily." ,she says through gritted teeth, her gaze now fixed on Lily. "I will come with you on this swim, if it means that I can better keep you safe."
>"Such a formal answer," Gilded Lily says. "And such a menacing scowl! Now, if I didn't know any better, I'd say your little friend didn't like me."
"Well," you start. "She wasn't very happy about the broken everything you gave me during that first sparring session of ours. She blamed herself before, but I think that she's gotten over that and has just become more wary of you."
>"This is correct, Master. Gole- I will not allow the blond mare to hurt you any more."
>You place a hoof on her head, rubbing gently, trying to calm her.
"Well, I can assure you, Golet, that she won't be hurting me anymore. At least, not on purpose."
>Golet seems to relax a bit, and reluctantly backs down from her aggressive stance towards Lily. She steps down, bowing her head and standing behind you.
>"I'm glad that's all cleared up." ,Lily says. "Now, come on! I want to get to the bath house before the sun rises."
>Lily leaves the infirmary eagerly and you follow close behind, struggling to see in the darkness before dawn. The bright white snow makes things a bit easier, but the contrast is murder on your eyes.
>You can hear the steady hoofsteps of Lily in front of you, and the much heavier hoofsteps of Golet just behind you.
>Aside from this, there is only silence. It's a tad uncomfortable, especially given the tension that was in the air not a few minutes ago. You feel like you should fill it with something. Conversation, maybe.
>>
>>29534729
Did the ingredients all get delivered? Is your brother going to be alright?
>>
>>29534729
Ask Golet if she did anything interesting with Swirl while we were gone.
>>
>>29534779
>>29534936

"So, Lily," you start, eager to fill this vacuum in the air. "Did the potion make it to your brother alright? Will the King be okay?"
>"Yes, Scribe," she replies. "The potion, whatever was in it, got to Aurum just fine. Your king..., my brother is already on his way to a full recovery. All thanks to you and Ton'berri. Thank you again."
"It was nothing." ,you reply modestly, not wanting to look like a braggart.
>"Oh, but it wasn't nothing, Ghost Scribe. It was very much something/ Although I can appreciate your desire to be humble, it's unbecoming not to take credit where credit is due. I won't push it further though. All I can really say is thank you.
>She pauses for a moment. "And, perhaps I should give thanks to Ton'berri at some point too."
>You think that would be a good idea though you don't vocalize it.
>"I know it's a bit dark, but just hand tight, Scribe." ,Lily says. "I promise, we're almost there."
>You didn't doubt it, but maybe Lily feels as if she's imposing. She approached you as a friend and companion, not a Captain. Worried that you might be upset, maybe. You aren't though.

"So, Golet," you say, shifting the conversation. "Did you do anything interesting with Swirl while I was away?"
>"N-no." ,she replies quickly. "Starswirl and I did not do anything interesting or worthy of note while you were gone. Nothing whatsoever. Starswirl Simply kept me company and assured me that you would return safely and soundly and nothing more."
>>
>>29535098
I'm sorry I left you for so long Golet. Trust me when I say that we did it for both of our saftey. I did miss you.
>>
>>29535098
Well what was he up to then?
>>
>>29535201
>>29535325

"Well, what was he up to then?" ,you ask. "He said he was too busy with you, among other things, to practice his magic. I can't imagine why that would be, if you say you didn't do anything interesting."
>"W-well, you see, Master." ,she starts. "The royalty had him running up down and all around, performing all sorts of menial tasks. It was all he could do to keep me hidden, with all the tasks set upon him. They are not very kind to him, I must say!"
>That certainly sounds like something that Queen Silvertongue would have done. Menial labor to keep Starswirl busy. She didn't seem very creative, and with her husband temporarily incapacitated, maybe she was exercising what little power she had.
>Even so, something about the way Golet is acting is off. She seems nervous, for whatever reason. Or, maybe it's just her adjusting to this new body shape. It could also be that... well, you just don't know.
>All you know about how a Golet is supposed to act comes form a book. Tela and Sanctus will surely be able to teach you more. For now, you suppose you should cut her a bit of slack.
"Well, I promise you that you won't have to spend anymore time like that, Golet. I'm sorry I left you for so long Golet. Trust me when I say that did it for both of our safety. I missed you very much."
>"I missed you too, Master." ,she replies happily.
>"We're here!" ,Lily shouts. "At the bath house! Where I... said we'd go. Am I being too loud?"
You chuckle softly. "No, no, you're fine."
>"Right, good, good. Well, uh, which one of us should go first? I mean, normally, I would jump right in, but I did invite you along so..."
>>
>>29535887
By all means. Go ahead and jump in. I'll come right after
>>
>>29535887
Feel free to go on ahead
>>
Hate to do this, but gotta pause. Slow start, but I'll find my momentum again, I promise
>>
>>29536207
Night fren
>>
>>29535887
Let her hop in, then join her. Beware huge falling golet as she joins.
>>
>>29537954
>Beware of falling Golets

Should put that on a sign.
>>
>>29538478
>>
>>29535947 >>29536036
>>29537954

"By all means, Lily, go ahead and jump in. "I'll come in right after."
>"Don't keep me waiting then." ,she says, getting ready to jump in. "And, uh, careful with your leg I suppose."
>With a silent leap, you watch as Lily descends into the heated pool. You prepare to follow suit.
"Get ready to follow behind me, Golet. When you hear a splash, wait a couple seconds and then jump in."
>"Understood, Master."
>Taking heed of your newly healed leg and taking care not to get it broken again so soon after it being fixed, you take a confident but careful leap into the bath house. It's great golden radiance, and warm steamy air enveloping you.
>It takes a moment for your eyes to adjust, and just as they do, you hit the water. Remembering your words to Golet, you swim away from the entrance. A couple of strokes later, you hear a deep splash, strong and a bit frightening. The water of the pool seems to collapse inward, pulling you into some kind of water sinkhole!
>Then, quite suddenly, all the water comes rushing back to the surface. You are launched skyward like a geyser! You flail wildly in the air before coming back down and hitting the water, with an audible smack.
>As you allow yourself to float, not eager to exert yourself, Golet and Lily come swimming over to you. Golet seems to be having an harder time of swimming than last time, but is otherwise fine. They both seem worried about you.
>"Are you alright, Master?"
>"Are you well, Scribe?"
>You smile and laugh as well as you can with the wind knocked out of you. It's nice to see them care.
"Yes, yes," you assure them/ "I'm fine."
>They both seem relieved by that, for different reasons you're sure, but still.

>You spend some time lazing about in the bathwater with Golet and Lily.
>"It's wonderful here, isn't it?" ,Lily says. "So peaceful, and relaxing. Even at it's most busy, it is a place of solace for me. A place where I can really gather my thoughts. Don't you agree?"
>>
>>29540892
It is quite nice to just float and soak
>>
>>29540892
It is relaxing here. Say Lily, do I get a pay in the guard? Because I... I've never had a single bit to mane name before.
>>
>>29541046
*my name

Fuck.
>>
>>29540892
I suppose. The only other time I was here was when Weathervane first told me about it. Though it was also pretty empty at the time...Does this place get much use?
>>
>>29540979 >>29541046
>>29541322

"It is quite nice" ,you start. "Just floating and soaking. Very relaxing here."
>"It really is." ,Lily repeats. "So... peaceful. The day you came here with Weathervane, I was actually trying to forget the stress of my brother's illness. I had just learned of it you see. I... I was very worried, as you know. Very tired. Hadn't slept in days. This place it... it helped me keep my calm. Not an easy task, mind you."
"I know." ,you say jokingly. "This place must really mean something to you."
>"It does, though..." , she pauses. "I suppose it is a rather strange sentiment, to be attached to a bath house as I am. Enough of those thoughts. I've nothing more to worry about, for the time being. My brother is well, thanks to you."
>She gives a soft, under-her-breath laugh. "I would think you're tired of being reminded of that by now. And yet.. I'm the only pony that knows of your great deed. Well, me, my brother and Ton'berri. I assure you, my brother is deeply appreciative of your efforts. I'm sure he will reward you amply."
>That's a nice thought. Rewards are always nice.

"Say, Lily," you begin. "Speaking of rewards, do I get pay in the guard?"
>"Ah, pay. Not something I think of often. I myself don't get payed. I don't really need to be. But yes, you and the other Suns do receive pay. You should have a couple months worth on backlog. I'll see to it that it gets to you right away. But lets not worry about matters of money for now."
"Right. Just wondering. Thank you Lily."

>More lazing, more floating.
"You know, Lily, both times I've been here, this place has been pretty empty. Does it see much use?"
>"It sees much use. But, as you know, many of your comrades were walled, thanks to my... rash behavior. But they've been released. The bath house should be seeing much more regular use now."
>She eyes something to the side.
>"You know Scribe, this might seem a bit off hoof, but, Golet as she is... she's a bit conspicuous, don't you think?"
>>
>>29541402
She is indeed. I have learned that Golets can disguise themselves to better fit in with ponies. I'll be sure to help her pick a nice look after we're done here.
>>
>>29541402
I figured it was better to have a larger golet than have her restricted by the summoning circle. Besides, if need be, I could try passing her off as a particularly artistic statue.

So Lily. Have you given any thought to...making friends? Not me, but with other ponies
>>
>>29541402
Most ponies can't see evoked spirits anyway, and Golet can disguise herself from those that can.
>>
>>29541863
I think Sanctus said everyone can see Golets. Didn't he?
>>
>>29541484 >>29541498
>>29541863 >>29541946

"She is indeed." ,you respond. "I figured it was better to have a larger Golet than have her restricted by the circle I used to summon her. I've since learned that Golets can disguise themselves to better fit in with ponies. I'll be sure to help her pick a nice look after we're done here."
>"That's all well and good, but even should you do that, up close she would still seem a bit... stony, wouldn't she?" , Lily questions.
"Well, I guess if all else fails, I could try passing her off as a particularly artistic statue."
>You had meant that seriously, but Lily seems to get some amusement out of it, shaking with contained mirth. Well, you thought it was a good idea, in any case.

"So, Lily." ,you start. "Have you given any thought to...making friends?"
>Her contained laughter stops abruptly, her expression becoming equal parts stoic and confused. Almost like she isn't sure how to answer.
>"W-well, you're my friend..." ,she stutters out in uncharacteristic fashion. "Aren't you, Scribe?"
"Of course I'm your friend, Lily. But I don't mean with me. I mean with other ponies."
>Lily sighs, and gazes into the water. "Other ponies," she begins, still staring into the water. "don't see me the way you do. You are an anomaly, Scribe. Overly kind, incredibly forgiving, and outrageously understanding. It's exactly those qualities that have allowed me to open up to you the way I have."
>"But," she continues. "Not all ponies are like this. Almost none in fact. They know me only as the ruthless captain, the fearsome warrior. It is all I've ever shown them. How could I make friends when all and any I would seek friendship with see naught but a fighting machine?"
>>
>>29542131
They only see a ruthless warrior because that's all you ever show them.

I can understand maintaining a professional relationship between you and the Suns. To them, yes, you should be the strong and steadfast leader that you are.
But that's not all you are, by any stretch. I can't be the only pony in the world that sees that there's more to you than your armor. I think a small group of friends you could depend on, and talk to, would be great for you.
>>
>>29542131
Say Lily, how about I introduce you to my brother? Not as Captain of the Golden Suns, but as Lily? Then you can try making friends with him. What do you say?

You know, as an Earth pony I never imagined me getting involved with so many important unicorns. I always saw myself being a simple Scribe to my brother.
>>
>>29542210
>>29542373

"They only see a ruthless warrior because that's all you ever show them." ,you start passionately.
"I can understand maintaining a professional relationship between you and the Suns. To them, yes, you should be the strong and steadfast leader that you are.
But that's not all you are, by any stretch."
>"You're just saying that because you're you, Scribe." ,she rebutts. "I'm sure you could see the good in a week old pot of soup."
"Come now, Lily." ,you retort "I can't be the only pony that sees there's more to you than your armor."
>"You'd think that, but you'd be wrong."
"I think a small group of friends you could depend on, and talk to, would be great for you." ,you go on, trying to ignore her negativity. In fact, why don't I introduce you to my brother?"
>"But," she starts, a bit confused. "I've already met Starswirl."
"Well, yes you have. but only as Captain of the Golden Suns. My brother hasn't met Lily. And personally, I think he'd like to meet her. What do you say?"
>She moves her gaze from the water to the high ceiling, mulling it over in her mind. She seems conflicted, to say the least. But you hope she agrees. You'd like to see more of Lily and less of whatever her more aggressive side could be called. Violent Lily? Angry Lily? Punished Lily? Maybe just Captain would work.
>"I guess that could be fine." ,she seems to concede reluctantly. "Starswirl does seem like a nice enough stallion. Very eager. Like you."
"Good. I'm glad you agree. I'll set something up as soon as possible.'

>Despite the mild stress of the conversatoin you are perfectly relaxed.
"You know," you begin. "As an Earth pony I never imagined me getting involved with so many important unicorns. I always saw myself being a simple Scribe to my brother."
>"Life has a funny way of putting us on our intended path. At least, that's what my grandmare always said... Say, I know you said you would do this later, but do you think, maybe I could help you with Golet's appearance?"
>>
Pausing
>>
>>29542722
That'd be very nice
>>
>>29542722
Would you like to go play dress up with Lily, Golet?
>>
>>29542722
Sure!
>>
beb
>>
>>29545461
>>
>>29542732 >>29542831
>>29544284

"I think that would very nice, Lily."
>"So..." ,she starts hesitantly. "Do you think we could do that now?"
"Now? Well, I don't see why not. Golet!"
>Golet paddles her way over to you, being kept afloat by the magical properties of the bathwater. Her struggle is cute, if only because you know she won't sink.
>"Yes, Master?" , she says"
"How do you feel about a game of dress-up with Lily?"
>"Dress... up?" ,she says, unsure of your meaning.
"Well, you see Golet, you need a better look. I mean, you look fine now, but you don't look very... pony."
>"Does Master, wish for me to look more like a pony?" ,she asks. "With a mane and tail and everything?"
"That's the idea, yes. It would make things much easier on the both of us. I wouldn't have to try so hard to keep you hidden, for one."
>You can't really tell what's going on in her mind, but even if she wanted to, you don't think she'd say no. A strange thought to have, but...
>"I would be glad to, Master"
>Not entirely one ungrounded. Still, she says she's glad. And if she's glad your glad and vice versa. A not-so-vicious cycle of happiness.
"Great, Golet. Let's get started then."

>But what to mold first? There isn't much you can do about her color, you don't think. At the moment she seems to be a sort of grayish hue. Plain and simple, probably would help her blend into crowds well.
>Her eyes, or rather, her gems are a striking, deep blue, but aren't overly distracting, as long as somepony doesn't look too closely.
>Her face doesn't really have any defining features. Nor does she have a mane or tail. Come to think of it, should she try to fabricate a cutie mark? It would be strange for her to walk around as a fully grown blank flank. So many decisions to make.
>>
>>29546172
>There isn't much you can do about her color, you don't think.
Aw, I was thinking a turquoise coat with a pink mane. Have her eyes match ours and pillar as a qt mark, as for her being strong and supportive. Also she's an earth pony for sure.
>>
For anyone wondering about the weird pause, I'm not waiting for more people. Someone set a fire at my shelter and there's some hijinks abounding. I'll be bakc when I'm back
>>
>>29546959
Shelter?
>>
>>29546993
I'm homeless
>>
>>29547048
Fuck dude. And you live is SoCal?
>>
>>29547075
Yeah. I wouldn't pause, but my laptops in my room and I'd rather not phone post a whole update.
>>
>>29547100
Try going to a less shitty state.
>>
>>29547160
>
What state would you recommend anon?

Also they let us back in, resuming shortly.
>>
>>29547549
Germany. Austria. Switzerland.
>>
>>29547634
Immigrating ain't that easy, dude.
>>
>>29547549
Pretty much any other state.

>>29547634
I may be wrong, but I don't think he wants to be raped my migrants.
>>
>>29546287
>First things first, you'll probably want to do something about those eyes. They're pretty to look at, but they don't look like pony eyes. They'd give her away almost immediately.
"Golet," ,you start. "I want you to look at my eyes. I want you to make them look like my eyes. The color is good, but try to make them look like mine, alright?"
>She nods wordlessly. you watch as her eyes spin around in her head, making a whirring noise like you've never heard before. You can see the deep blue orbs in her head become ringed in white and black, mimicking the structure of a normal pony eye.
>"Is this good, Master?" ,she asks eagerly. You have to say, she did a good job. Aside from a rather powerful gleam, she's done a good job of imitating your eye.
"Yes, Golet." ,you assure her. "Very good. Now, lets get a cutie mark on that flank of yours."
>"What would you recommend, Master?"
>What would you recommend? A cutie mark is an approximation of a ponies very being, after all. It is their talent, it is who they are.
>And then it hits you.
"I'd say a marble pillar would fit you well. A symbol of your strength and supportive nature."
>"You're words are kind, Master." ,she says. "Thank you." She remains calm, but you can feel the giddyness in your connection. She values your praise.
>You watch as her stony rear rearranges itself, creating a pattern on her flank resembling a cutie mark. A marble pillar, just as you had asked.
"Good, good, very good, Golet! Now, what next..."

>"If I may," Lily interjects. "I think we should think about a mane style next. I think something simple and rugged would be befitting a stone guardian such as her. Though, perhaps long cut? A bun maybe? To maintain her femininity. Made of stone she may be, but she is still a mare at heart."
"I'm not quite sure whatkind of mane she should have actually. I'll think about the options you gave me."
>"And what of her color?" ,she continues. "Surely you don't mean to keep her this dreadful gray?"
>>
>>29547823
By no means. How about a long pretty mane? Would you like that Golet? Maybe is nice braids. What do you think, Lily?

I still want a turquoise coat with a pink mane/tail, maybe with a white strip.
>>
File: 979904.png (940KB, 3200x4400px) Image search: [Google]
979904.png
940KB, 3200x4400px
>>29547823
G-Golet's color isn't dreadful. I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to try changing it though. Turquoise sounds nice for a coat, dunno about the mane though.
>>
>>29548093
That is a very nice shade
>>
>>29548093
I admit that I like this better than my colors.
>>
>>29547928 >>29548093
>>29548108 >>29548316

"H-Her color isn't dreadful. But, no, by no means do I want her to stay this way. I was thinking maybe turquoise for a coat color. That's an altogether pleasant color, yes?"
>"Yes, it is a nice color," Lily agrees. "But, how exactly is she supposed to change her color? It's not like we can just paint her a brand new shade and expect it to last."
>"Master?" ,Golet interrupts. "I'd like to say something, if it's all right."
"Of course, Golet. Go ahead."
>"It's just that," she continues. "My coloration is based on the stones and composites I use to make my shape. I'm mostly made of cobblestone right now, but there might be enough disjointed minerals in this water here for me to change my surface color."
"Well, if you think it'll work," you say. "Then by all means, go ahead, Golet.

>With your go ahead given, you watch as the waters around Golet begin to swirl slightly, creating a small whirlpool. You can see chunks of sediment pooling in the waters, minerals of all kinds that are too small for you to identify.
>You watch as slowly, but surely, they seem to absorb into Golet's Stony carapace, smoothing out some of the rougher edges and changing her from a dreary gray to a bright and cheery turquoise.
"Full of surprises, aren't you Golet?"
>Golet simply smiles in response. You can tell that every day with her is going to be a surprise. But in any case, there's still more to do.

"So, I was thinking," you say. "that maybe Golet's hair should be pink. But, now I'm not so sure... what shade of pink would go good with turquoise do you think?"
>"Hmm. I'm not too partial to pink myself. Never enjoyed it as a color. Maybe some sort of yellow, a blond or goldenrod maybe? Or, perhaps a lighter shade?"
>Both seem like equally good choices, but you aren't sure exactly which one to pick.
>>
>>29548508

>>29548093
This mane color
>>
>>29548508
Uh, whichever you think best Lily.
>>
>>29548513
"Well, I can't make up my mind." ,you admit reluctantly. "Whichever color you think is best, Lily, that's what we'll go with."
>She smiles wide, at both you and Golet. "Well then," she says. "A yellow mane it is! A lighter shade, not to deep, but not too bright either. Oh, and grow that mane out long so we can get a good look at how you'll look. The tail too!"
>Lily is spouting orders as fast as she can. Golet seems to be getting a bit uncomfortable, and Lily catches on quick.
>"I mean," she says, retreating slightly. "Whenever you're ready to."
>You pat Lily on the back in reassurance and give Golet a look that acts as the go-ahead. You watch as thin strands of what seems like...glass?
>These thin strands begin to emerge from Golet's head and the base of her rear, growing outward at an incredibly quick pace. Soon the strands extend past her neck and hit the water. Her newly formed tail is equally as long as her mane.

>The strands, once clear, quickly begin to fill with color, becoming a bright, yet somehow soft. If reminds you of a fruit Starswirl had shown you in a book once. Something called a "pineapple". You remember it being strange, as it had looked nothing like an apple. But you digress. The color is certainly nice to look at.
>"Does this appearance please you, Master?" ,Golet asks, her words soaked in anticipation. As you look at her, you can't helped but see her as an oversized child. Her eager demeanor, her long messy hair, her struggle to keep afloat; all so innocent and sweet.
"Yes, Golet." ,you respond. "I'm very pleased."
>"I am glad, Master."
>"Yes, yes, she looks very nice, we're all agreed." ,Lily says dismissively. "But what are we going to do about that mane now? She'll practically be tripping over it with each step she takes."
>>
Pausing
>>
>>29548935
We'll be sure to do it up. But hey, it certainly is feminine.

Say guys, I think it's about time we give Golet a proper name.
>>
>>29548935
Could tie it up into a bun. Stick a needle in it or something.
A pixie cut wouldn't be too un effeminate would it?
>>
>>29548987
Agreed, she's gonna need one now that she looks like a proper pony.
I still like Shale, personally.
>>
>>29548987
we should wait until we're somewhere nice before we give Golet a name.
>>
bep
>>
>>29551082
>>
>>29551656
>>
>>29553479
>>
>>29554329
>>
>>29555365
>>
>>29556193
>>
Bamp.
>>
Golet no more
>>
>>29559365
>>
>>29548987 >>29548999
>>29549021 >>29549119

"Well, then we should be sure to do it up nice." ,you say with confidence. "But, what would you suggest?"
>"We could braid it." ,Lily suggests. "I used to do that in my younger days. I used to love the feeling of my braid flying back in the wind. ...Of course, thinking about it, it did me a fair bit more harm during training than it might have been worth."
"What do you mean?"
>"Well, long hair means that the opponent has something to grab onto. Perhaps not so much an issue, since your Golet's hair seems to be made of glass. But still, better not to take the risk."
"You think maybe we could do her hair up in a bun?"
>Possible, but her "hair" might be too brittle for a bun of proper tightness. My grandmare always said that a proper bun should be as tight as a vice and round as a roll."
"Then the only option I'm seeing here is that we simply have to cute her mane short."
>"I think you're right. Though, what of her tail? Would you want that shortened as well?"
"What do you mean?"
>"I mean that while a long man would be a detriment, a long tail made of glass might be able to act as a flail. Of course, it's a risk, but I could braid it nice and strong, if you want. Entirely up to you, of course."
>>
>>29562164
Sure, let's do that.
>>
>>29562164
Glass flail? isn't it kinda brittle though? I mean, it's not like she can't fix it up, but it seems like it would be quite revealing of her mineral nature if she used it.

Oh I know. Metal tail cuff/ring
>>
>>29562164
Braids for sure.
>>
>>29562164
That sounds nice
>>
>>29562177 >>29562183
>>29562305 >>29562306

"Glass flail?" ,you question. "Wouldn't it be too brittle to function that way? I mean, it's not like she couldn't fix it up, but I feel like that would be an easy way to give away her nature."
>"Fun fact for you, Scribe," Lily starts. "In old days, when Earth blacksmiths ran low on metals and couldn't mine, they would turn to their glassblowers and workers, forging weaponry made from glass. Brittle and fleeting, though beautiful, these glass weapons, spears and blades and flails and maces, were weak in constitution but just as deadly as any metal weapon."
>"They also had a nasty tendency to break off inside whatever the wielder happened to be stabbing or slashing. I'm not sure when, but the unicorn kingdom started providing the Earth Ponies with ample mines to ensure that production of these weapons ceased."
>The thought of having a sword made of glass breaking off in your stomach is enough to make you cringe and grab at your abdomen.
"That certainly does sound devastating."
>"Indeed. So braids then?"
"Yeah, braids do sound nice."
>You consider getting a metal cuff of some sort, to bind Golet's tail and reinforce it.
>"All right then. Sounds like we've got a look in mind." Lily reaches under the water, seeming to grab for something. Bringing her hoof back up, you see she has a knife. Where did she hide that? "Get to cutting."

>For the next few minutes, you and Lily are busy trying to properly style Golet's mane and tail. Lily is braiding the ail as carefull and quickly as she can while you try to cut away at the mane.
>As you awkwardly hold the knife in your hoof, cutting at the glass that is Golet's mane, you think to yourself. She isn't a real pony, not in the traditional sense. But she may as well be.
>Nopony but you, Starswirl, Lily and a hoofful of others know her true identity. And it would be odd for her to walk about with no name. But is now the right time? The right place?
>>
>>29562581
I think so. Seems right to christen Golet's new body with a name.
>>
>>29562581
Wait till we're fully done. But soon, yes. Foals aren't always named *before* they're born
>>
>>29562581
After we get out of the water and dry off tell her

Golet, you are a loyal friend and protector to me. I am going to give you a name. I shall name you...

Are we going with Shale?
>>
>>29562704
I like Shale.
>>
>>29562627 >>29562637
>>29562704 >>29562707

>Full of thought and contemplation, you gaze down at Golet's face. She looks back at you, eyes full of innocence and a smile filled with trust. The creature you're looking at is dedicated to your safety. And she has changed herself to suit your needs. No longer is she the same spirit you summoned forth. She's something different.
>More intelligent, deeper, at least you feel like she is. Not quite a pony but trying her best to be one, to make things easier for the both of you. A foal, if you would, just becoming a "mare". A foal who's name is long past due.
>You continue to cut away, careful to make everything nice and symmetrical. You're no barber, but you have no intention to butcher Golet's mane. the process continues for roughly a half hour, you carefully trying to cut away the glass "mane" while Lily, having finsihed the braiding long ago, watches you in mild amusement. With one last stroke of the knife, you move back and take a look at your work.
>It's not the best, but you're proud of yourself. A shaggy, but smooth and well layered cut, short and cute. Something akin to what you would expect one of the fae folk to wear. It suits her you think.
"Come, Golet," you beckon. "Let's all get dried up so you can get a look at yourself."

>You all get dried off, the heated waters practically evaporating off of you before you can wick it away with a towel.
>At the edge of the pool, against the wall, for whatever reason, stands a row of mirrors. You hadn't noticed these your first time around. But you're glad they're here.
>You watch as Golet marvels at her new form, running her stoney hoof through her short, pixie-like mane and flicking her tail from side to side.
"Are you happy with the way you look, Golet?" ,you ask.
>"Oh, yes, Master! Gol- I am very happy."
>Good. That's good. You hope that what you're about to do will make her even happier.

1/2
>>
>>29562581
Ask her how she feels about it first. Then give her the name.
>>
"Golet," you start nervously. "I need to know something, before I do what I'm about to do. Are you happy as you are?"
>"What do you mean, Master?" ,she asks confused.
"I mean, Golet... are you happy as you are? Are you happy being Golet?"
>"Well... I am happy being me as long as I am protecting you, Master."
>Good. Very good.
"I'm glad to hear that Golet. Your dedication and loyalty are... more than admirable. And you, you've had to put up with quite a lot of nonsense from me. I've put you through more than you're fair share of emotional turmoil."
>"Master, I'm afraid I don't understand where you're going with this..."
"Loyalty like you've shown, and the patience you've given me is deserving of a reward."
>"A... reward?"
"A name, Golet. I'm giving you a name"
>"A name?" ,she says, surprised into speechlessness.
"That's right, Golet. Although, I suppose that's the last time I'll be calling you that. I've thought about for a while now, and... I think Shale would fit you quite nicely."
>"Shale?" ,she repeats. "Shale... Shale. Shale! I am Shale. My name is Shale and that is who I am!"
>As her excitement grows, you feel something shift in the back of your mind. Something part of you and yet not. Something has been severed, and at the same time, strengthened. You aren't sure what to make of that, but it's the feeling you get.

>"Master, Master!" ,Shale shouts at you. "I love my name. I am Shale! I am Shale!"
>Barely able to contain herself, she rushes over and grabs you in a binding embrace. You hardly manage to a leg free. But you do. And you return the hug as best you can.
>"I am Shale." ,she repeats, over and over, at first audibly and then under her breath. It's almost like she can't believe it. She has to repeat it to herself, lest she forget.
>She won't forget though. You won't let her. She is no longer Golet. She is a Golet. Shale the Golet. She is yours. And you are hers. And this embrace serves as a reminder that neither of you will ever forget.
>>
Pausing.
I love Shale. I hope you do too.
I love you anons too.
>>
File: thumb.png (33KB, 250x235px) Image search: [Google]
thumb.png
33KB, 250x235px
>>29563572
Aww, isn't she just precious?

Buuuut I thought we were voting to braid both mane and the tail. If I had known we were talking only about the tail I would have spoken up about her mane. Because pixie cuts are fucking atrocious and it would look weird for her to have a really long tail but super short mane.

Best compromise I have is something like pic related but with the front/top cut shorter.
>>
>>29563719
I'll let it be known that in this instance I'll let you guys make any changes you want before we move on. But they must be made now and there must be a consensus. Figure it out amongst yourselves
Sorry if that sounded harsh
>>
>>29563719
I kind of like this idea.
I'm a longer mane kind of guy but more seemed to like the pixie cut thing.
>>
>>29563797
Long-maner reporting in.
>>
How about a bit of both? Short back and sides of a pixie cut, fringe of a longer style.

Tail braid can stay the same, then.Still want her to have some kinda metal cuff to put on the end. For the mace thing
>>
Bep
>>
>>29565245
>>
>>29566640
>>
>>29564234
macein' it up
>>
File: DubsIronWill.jpg (91KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
DubsIronWill.jpg
91KB, 960x720px
>>29573122
>>
>>29569042
History
>>
>>29574404
>>
>You hold Shale close to you, and she holds back. You are locked in this hug for several minutes, as she releases all her gratitude into you by way of nearly crushing your spine. You don't really mind the pain though. It's a good hurt.
>Eventually, having given you all th appreciation and affection she can, you separate, though she still looks at you with love in her eyes. With how she views you, the way she follows you so loyally and hangs on your every word... you wonder if this must be what it's like to have a daughter. ...Where did that thought come from?

>Gol-...Shale. You'll have to get used to calling her that. Shale returns to marveling at her new appearance, twisting and turning and twirling in front of the mirrors. Her tail swings back and forth, and you wonder just how much it would hurt to be hit by something like that. Quite a bit ,you would imagine. Then you turn to her mane. you liked it before, and still like it to some extent., but you feel like you might have cut it a bit too short in back.
"Shale?" ,you say. "You wouldn't mind if we grew your hair out just a bit, would you? I think you might look a bit better that way."
>"I do not mind, Master. Watch this." Shale puffs out her cheeks and strains herself, seemingly pushing something out.
>Her glass hair, previosly sheer against her head, fills out a tad more, developing bangs that act as a frame to her face, and making her head appear more full in general. You aren't sure if this looks better or not, but there will always be another time to decide on a haircut.
>"Is this okay, Master?" ,Shale asks.
"I think it looks okay. Lily?"
>"Looks good to me. Now, Scribe, I was wondering-"
>"CAPTAIN!" ,a familiar voice shouts from across the room. You hear a splash and continued smacks against the water as whoever it is comes your way.
>As they reach the edge of the pool, you see that it's Weathervane.
>"Captain, I've been looking fo-", he pauses, spying Shale.
>"Well, hello there. Who is this little miss?"
>>
>>29576261
This is Shale. Shale, this is Weathervane, a friend.
>>
>>29576261
Who? I don't see anyone.
>>
>>29576261
"This? This is Shale, my, er, cousin, just arrived early this morning. She'll be staying with me."
>>
>>29576573
Alternately, did Weathervane know about Golet? If he did, let's just go with the truth with him, and the cover story for everyone else.
>>
>>29576414 >>29576441
>>29576573 >>29576591

"Oh, uh, this is Shale." ,you say hurriedly. Lucky that you just finsihed making her look more pony like, otherwise this situation would be a fair bit more awkward.
>"Shale, you say?" ,Weathervane says, taking up his debonair tone. "And what may I ask is your relation to this pretty little pony?"
>Despite Weathervane's obvious and overt advances, Shale seems mostly oblivious. Though, you can tell that she's happy somepony else enjoys the way she looks.
"She's my, er, cousin. Just arrived here early this morning."
>"Cousin, you say? So, I take it she's related to Starswirl in some way?"
"Yes, our cousin, like I said. She'll be staying with me for a while."
>"With you?" ,Weathervane questions. "I'd think that she'd be allowed to stay with Starswirl in the castle proper, no?"
"Well, you see-"
>"I gave it the okay, Weathervane." ,Lily interrupts. "There is no need for you to question it further."
>"Oh. Of course, Captain. My apologies."
>"Now," she continues. "If you would, I'd like you to tell me WHAT IN THE WORLD YOU'RE DOING DOWN HERE AND NOT AT YOUR POST IN THE ARMORY."
>Lily's shouting seems to unnerve him a bit. You forgot for a moment how intimidating she could be.
>"W-well, Captain." Weathervane stumbles out. It's just, all the others, they-"
>"All the others, what, Weathervane?" ,she counters impatiently.
>"Th-They aren't sure what to do. We were gone for roughly a month in Negra Beliza, things were left out of check and well-"
>"QUICK AND CONCISE, WEATHERVANE!"
>"We need you to update rotation, Captain!" ,he rushes out in fear.
>"The rotation? Ah, of course. I should get on that. Thank you, Weathervane."
>She gets ready to leave and stops to acknowledge you.
>"I trust you'll be able to keep close watch on your "cousin" and make sure she stays out of trouble, Scribe. Return to the barracks at your leisure. I hope you enjoy the rest of your day."
"Likewise, Captain."

1/2
>>
>>29577203
If we're going to pass her off as Swirly's cousin she needs a horn. She doesn't have one right now I don't think.
>>
>As Lily departs, you can see a look of relief wash over Weathervane.
>"You know," he starts. "No matter how used to her I get, I don't think I'll ever get used to her. Enough to make a stallion feel like a right coward, it is." He trails off, looking at nothing in particular for a moment. It seems to take him a minute to remember he's not alone.
>"Oh!" ,he exclaims, surprised that you're there despite talking to you not a minute before. "Scribe. How are you, friend?" His attention seems focused entirely on you now. It's almost like he's forgotten about Shale, much to Shale's disappointment.
"Me?" , you reply. "I'm well. And you?"
>"Good, good... a bit tired and a little disappointed by the lack of excitement on our little mission but, you know. Actually, you wouldn't know, would you?"
"What do you mean?"
>"Well, I mean," he continues "That you had a fair bit of excitement and intrigue back in Negra. Can only imagine what those intruders did to put you in the state you were in. Let me tell you, the ride back was no fun. I... I was worried about you, to say the least. We all were. Even on of the Scholars, that Blue fellow."
>"Anyway, I won't keep you any longer. Unlike you, I wasn't allowed on leave, and I'm sure you'd rather not relive whatever happened in Negra. I've got weapons to attend to, spears to polish and such."
>He prepares to leave, and then seems to remember something he had to say.
>"Scribe?"
"Hmm?"
>Do you think I could request something of you? A favor between friends,perhaps?"
>>
>>29577330
I can't promise anything without knowing the favor, but I'll do what I can.
>>
>>29577330
Depends.
>>
>>29577330
If you want me to help polish spears I'll need more details
>>
>>29577360 >>29577388
>>29577626

"Well, that really depends on the favor, Weathervane." ,you say. "If it's anything other than polishing spears, I'm gonna need some details.
>"Heh. Right, right, I suppose it would rude to expect something of you without actually explaining what it was. It's just... I suppose I don't know how to go about it. I'm usually pretty calm and collected- more than my fair share of mares has gone so far as to call me dashing." You're sure of it.
>"But, I don't know what it is. Thinking about what I'm about to ask you... it makes me nervous."
"The longer you wait, the harder it'll be to say." That saying was a favorite of mother's. Didn't often work, but she liked to say it nonetheless.
>"Hehe. You're right about that. So, let me be straightforward. I did a lot of thinking on our trip to and from Negra. Had a lot of time to think. And now I'm thinking that it's time to stop thinking. Time to start acting, start talking. You know?"
"I, uh, I can't say I do, Weathervane."
>"Well, that's fine. It's a personal thing. Which is why it's hard to ask. But, here it is."
>He pulls an envelope from somewhere, and hands it bashfully to you, staring at the floor.
>"Could you take this to Orich? I won't have the time to see him today. Or tomorrow. Or for a while. And I thought, maybe you could be a middle party for me. Just, whenever you can take this to him. But, not any time any time. Just, any time today. Is that okay? That's not too much to ask is it?"
>>
>>29578007
Five bucks on this being a love note.

I think I could do that for you, Weather.
>>
>>29578007
Ponies seem to favor me being a messenger it seems. Part of being a Scribe I suppose.
>>
>>29578007
Sure, but why wont he be around?
>>
>>29578281
This
>>
>>29578030 >>29578075
>>29578281 >>29578421

"Huh. Ponies seem to favor me being a messenger for them, it seems." ,you muse, mostly to yourself. "Part of being a scribe I suppose."
"I think I could do that for you, Weathervane."
>"Oh, thank you." ,he says, sighing in relief. I appreciate it. More than you know.
"A question though."
>"O-oh?"
"Why exactly won't you be around to do it yourself?"
>"Oh, that? Just a conflict of schedule, really. Orich rarely has a free day, and the Captain decided to put me on double duty in the armory for all the days I wasn't here to keep proper track of our weapons. Not exactly my fault, but c'est la vie."
"Pardon?"
>"Oh, that's a saying I heard my grandmare say once. Don't know where she picked it up, but it means "life goes on." Because for better or worse, life always goes on. It's a sharp saying, if I do say so. And I do."
>"Anyway, thank you again Scribe. You don't have to do it right away, but please remember at some point today to deliver that. I have to be off, those spears won't polish themselves. Farewell!"
>He rushes off to do his job, trotting away, likely fearful of Captain Lily's retribution should he not hurry back.

>You watch as the sun begins to shine through window, the sky painted a sharp crimson as it begins to rise over the horizon. You guess it to be about six o'clock.
>You've got the whole day ahead of you and quite a few things to do. You could go back to the barracks and wait for Tela. He didn't specify when he would be around, so it would be prudent of you to do so.
>Then again, maybe you should get on top of delivering the letter. You might forget and that would just be rude after promising Weathervane you'd remember like that. And besides that, you have a question r two of your own to ask Orich.
>There's also the matter of the Lost Daughter. You still have no idea who that is or who you should be asking about her. Maybe Starswirl might have an inkling of what to do? Who knows.
>>
>>29578788
I say we go see brother first.
>>
>>29578788
Drop the letter off with Orich, seems like the most time sensitive job
>>
>>29578788
Let's just get the letter dropped off while it's fresh.
>>
>>29578855 >>29579077
>>29579090

>Best to take care of this letter as soon as possible. And in any case, Tela wouldn't even be alive now if not for you. Surely he won't mind waiting a minute.
"Come, Shale," you say. "We're off to see Orich."
>"Of course, Master. Right away, Master." ,she says eagerly, following close behind you. You're lucky that Weathervane didn't question it, but if you're going to pass off Shale as you're and Starswirl's cousin, you should probably have her grow a horn. Either that or you'll have to double back and come up with some new story. Maybe even tell Weathervane the truth. But that last bit is a last resort, you feel. The fewer ponies that know about Shale's true identity, the better.
>Exiting the bath house, you wander into the streets of Aurus. It's quite empty out, save for a few guards on patrol and stall and store owners setting up for the day.
>Shale is very eager to share her new self with the world, liberated by her ability to walk among the ponies freely now. She stops and shakes the hoof of every pony you pass by, saying "Hi yes, my name is Shale!' and "Hi, I am Shale, how are you?"
>It's endearing but it slows you down a fair bit. It takes you roughly an hour to reach Castle Aurus. You are allowed in with no issue. Walking through the main hall, you can see that the throne room is open at that all three royals are sitting within, stoic and regal. The King seems vaguely energetic, while Silvertongue seems apathetic. Goldheart seems... disappointed, somehow. No idea why.

>Turning down the hall that puts you on the path to Orich's workshop, you're surprised to run into Private Plain Jane.
>"Oh, hello there, Scribe." ,she says nonchalantly, almost monotonous
"G'morn, Jane. How goes it?"
>"Well, I was on my way to see Lieutenant Alcum on behalf of my mother, but it seems I've gotten a bit turned around. I'm sure I'll find his workshop sooner or later. Always do."
>>
pausing
>>
>>29579528
Now, I don't really see a reason to NOT invite her, but we do have a rather personal letter I don't think Weathervane or Orich want's/will want to have an audience for. So just in case it's something private, I say we just leave her alone for now. Not like she won't be getting there anyway
>>
Have a good night bump
>>
>>29579528
I think it would be rude to not help her out. Besides, we're just handing Orich a letter, we don't have to read it aloud.
>>
>>29581618
Agreed
>>
blep
>>
>>29579573 >>29581618
>>29582171

>You consider for a moment just leaving her to her own devices. After all, you were off to see Orich on a rather private matter, and you don't think Orich would want an audience for that.
>Then again... it's not like Orich would've read it to you. It's a private matter, and you're just the messenger not the orator. And besides that, leaving Jane here like this would just be plain rude.
"I was actually on my way to see Orich now." ,you offer up. "You could accompany me if you like."
>"I would really appreciate it, Ghost Scribe." ,she responds, not quite excited, but not not necessarily ungrateful.
>You lead the way, making your way through the maze that is the castle towards Orich's workshop.
>It's a silent walk, neither of you having anything to talk about. Occasionally you'll brush by another guard, or a scullery maid going about their business.
>Until Jane breaks the silence.

>"Ghost Scribe, may I ask you a question?" ,she asks meekly.
"Of course." ,you respond. "I'll answer to the best of my ability."
>"What's it like? To exceed expectations? Does it feel good? Do you surprise yourself sometimes?"
>>
>>29583476
Well, that's a heck of a question. I guess the biggest surprise is that I'm not dead, but I have others to thank for that just as much as myself. I was hesitant to pledge myself to his majesty's service because I didn't know if I could live up to expectations, let alone if I would survive. I was just an earth pony surrounded by unicorns, after all.
But to exceed expectations, being a scribe usually involves observing from the sidelines, observing and chronicling the works and accomplishments of others. I would never have thought I would get the opportunity to shine that the suns have given me, pun intended, of course.

To answer your question, yeah, it does feel kind of good. That doesn't sound too conceited, does it?
>>
>>29583476
Why do you ask?

>>29583547
Also this.
>>
>>29583547
>>29583625

"Why do you ask?" ,you question. It's certainly not the inquiry you were expecting, and seemed remarkably out of character for Jane. At least, for what little you know about her.
>"Well, you may or may not know this, given how new you are to the city, but I've got something of a legacy to live up to. My mother you see, she's captain of the ballistics unit, a venerable soldier-of-fortune and legendary warrior. Somepony I could never live up to, that's for sure." She says this very matter-of-factly, not a hint of bitterness.
>"I just want to know what it's like, for somepony that everypony else expected to fail spectacularly. You've started to make something of yourself and I just wanted to know: how does it make you feel?"

"Well," you begin, not quite sure how to start. "that's a heck of a question. I guess , for myself, the biggest surprise is that I'm not dead. Though I have many others to thank for that as well much as myself. I was quite hesistant to pledge myself to his majesty's service because I didn't know if I could live up to expectations, let alone if I could survive. I'm just an earth pony surrounded by unicorns, after all.
"But to exceed expectations," you continue. "Being a scribe usually involves observing from the sidelines, observing and chroncling the works and accomplishments of others. I would never have thought I would get the opportunity to shine that the suns have given me"
>Jane gives you a raised eyebrow and a smirk.
"Pun fully intended."
>You both share a laugh at your corny joke.
"To answer your question though, yeah, it does feel kind of good." That doesn't sound too conceited, does it?"
>"No, no, not at all." ,Jane assures you. The conversation seems to die there.

>Silence returning, though perhaps not as awkward as before, you continue on your way to Orich's workshop. What Jane had said about her mother, about never being able to live up to her, sticks with you.
>Should you try to ask her more about it?
>>
>>29584136
Well, I know one thing about girls, and that's if they mention a thing, then it's fair game to ask them more about it.
>>
>>29584136
Yeah, ask about her family. Ballistics sound very interesting.
>>
>>29584136
So...ballistics.
I assume some magic is involved? Or is this the launching rocks and arrows kind of ballistics?
>>
>>29584272 >>29584496
>>29584599
Third times the charm

"You know, Jane." ,you start hesitantly. "Before, you were talking about how you'll never live up to your mother. Now, a thought like that, not living up to something, that would burn me up inside. But you seemed so... accepting of it. Why is that?"
>"Well..." ,she trails off. As you reach the base of the stairs that lead into Orich's tower, she stops, seemingly lost in thought.
"Jane?"
>"Oh? Oh! Oh, I'm so sorry. Sometimes I just get lost in thought and I just... well, I get a bit spacey is all. So spacey in fact, that I failed to notice you had a companion! Hello there, friend of Ghost Scribe."
>"Hello, Miss Plain Jane! I am Shale. That is my name and that is who I am!" ,Shale exclaims, excited to introduce herself to yet another pony.
"You're dodging my question, Jane."
>"Hrmmmmmmmmmmm...," she grumbles. Very strange of her, to act this way.

"Now, you mentioned ballistics. Is magic involved in some way, or is this mostly bow and arrow type ballists?"
>"Mostly bow and arrow. Many of mother's soldiers use magic to fire their bows, but mother has trained herself to use her hooves. Mother is a master of many weapons. I am a master of none, though I can claim proficiency."
>"It's my talent, actually." ,she continues. "To be perfectly middling in all aspects. It's a tad frustrating. Or, maybe it isn't. I'm not sure. I don't know what I feel sometimes. But, I'm babbling and my issues aren't you're own. Sorry if I'm talking you're ear off."
>>
>>29584843
Seems like you just need some new company. Do you go out often, Jane?
>>
>>29584843
Hey, nothing wrong with a Jack of all Trades cutie mark. Or I guess it would be Plain Jane, in your case.
At times, proficient in everything has its benefits over really good at one thing.
>>
>>29584914
>>29584948

"You know, there's nothing wrong with a Jack of all trades cutie mark. Or, I suppose it would be a Plain Jane cutie mark in your case." You say this in an attempt to console her, but you can't tell if it's helping. She's so hard to read.
"At times, proficiency in everything has it's benefits over being really good at one thing."
>"I suppose." ,she responds. "But, as I said, my mother is really good at just about everything. Your words are appreciated though, Ghost Scribe."
>Good! She's responding well.

"You know, Jane, it seems like you might just need some new company. Do you go out often?"
>"Ah, well, Weathervane and I spend time together whenever we can, but... he's been a bit busy for quite some time. I can tell he has a lot on his mind. He won't share anything with me and I'm not one to pry, so... you know."
>You're mind turns to Weathervane's strange demeanor and the letter he asked you to deliver for a brief moment.
"Well, maybe we could find you somepony else to spend some time with while Weathervane sorts himself out."
>"Who or what would you recommend, Ghost Scribe?"
>>
>>29585165
I wouldn't mind hanging out sometime.
>>
>>29585165
Anyone around here could work, even captain Lily, she really needs more friends.
>>
>>29585165
...Captain Lily?
They've both got issues they can bond over
>>
>>29585209 >>29585236
>>29585486

"Anyone around here would do, even Captain Lily. I hear she's in the market for a friend or two." ,you remark enthusiastically.
>"Is she? I wouldn't take her for the friend having type." ,Jane responds skeptically.
"You'd be surprised you. And, hey, I wouldn't mind hanging out sometime."
>"Really? That could be nice. You seem like a nice stallion, Ghost Scribe. And a bit strange to be honest. But in a good way."
>You're fairly certain that was a compliment. Jane has a very blunt, no-nonsense way of speaking. That's likely her way of saying she likes you.
"Thank you, Jane. Perhaps when we're both done here, we could-"
>"I'm sorry, Ghost Scribe, but I'll have to interrupt you there. I've got quite a bit to do today and I'm sure you do too. We can plan a proper hangout some other day but I personally think that we've spent enough time at the base of Orich's stairs. Don't you?"
"Uh, yeah, yeah. You're right. Let's go up."

>She's a strange one, Plain Jane. Or maybe it's that she isn't strange at all. Very straightforward. A little too straightforward. Oh well. Like she said, another time. For now, Orich.
>>
pausing
>>
>>29585650
>quest runs
>be too late
grr.

"I think she could use a gal-pal around. I can introduce you to her, I bet you'd like her if you get to know her."
>>
page 9 ain't fine
>>
>>29587583
>>
>>29588229
>>
>>29588927
>>
>>29586983

>As the two of you ascend the staircase, you see if you can't get another word in. As long as you're walking and talking, she should be fine with it.
"You know, it's just that I think Captain Lily could use a gal-pal around." ,you start, trying to re-ignite the conversation. "I can introduce you properly to her, I'm sure you'd like her if you got to know her."
>"I'm sure I would." ,she replies, returning to her monotonous drone. "But not today, Ghost Scribe. And I'm not sure when." Her expression softens, and becomes a not-quite-smile.
>"Though, I do look forward to the day you can do this. I would be honored to be a friend to Captain Lily."
>You're glad to hear it.
"Glad to hear it! Now, let's not keep Orich waiting any longer."
>"But Orich isn't expecting anypony today." ,she retorts. That's right. You were both seeking him out.
"Well, then... let's not keep ourselves waiting?" Conversing with Jane is awkward to say the least.

>You open the door into Orich's workshop, the ring and ping of his hammer echoing throughout his chamber, the glow of the fire making him a shadow against the backdrop of his countless ingots, armors and weapons.
>Absorbed by his work, he hasn't noticed that either of you have entered. Glancing at Jane, you see that she, like you, is unsure about which of you should get his attention.
>It might be best to let her do what she needs to do, so that you can spend the time you need to speak with Orich afterwards. In addition to the letter, you have a couple questions you wanted to ask him about your armor.
>But then again, maybe those could wait. Jane seemed in a hurry, and you'll be on leave for quite some time. It might be best just to give him the letter and leave.
>"So?" ,Jane questions. "Which of us is gonna get his attention?"
>>
>>29589744
You in a hurry? I'll take a while.
>>
>>29589744
I don't have any questions for him so let's just give him the letter and leave.
>>
>>29589769
>>29589979

"Are you in any kind of hurry?" ,you ask. "I might take a while."
>"I am in a bit of a bind for time." ,she says. "Mother seemed rather hot under the collar when I left. I'd rather not keep her waiting if it's all the same."
>It might be best if you leave her to speak with Orich at this time. There will be other days, and as is, you can't recall anything you had wanted to ask him anyway.
"Well, alright then. Let me just give him something and then I'll be on my way."
>You step into the workshop, your steps clear in-between the ringing beat of hammer against anvil. You notice Orich's ears twitch as you approach. Can he hear you after all?
"Orich?" ,you say, trying to get his attention.
>"Ohhoho!" ,he shouts without turning. "Scribe! Wasn't expecting you. 'Course, who would I have been expecting, eh? Heheh." He says all this, his voice booming over the bustle of his smithing.
>"What can I do for you?" ,he asks.
"Nothing much for me, Orich. I'm simply acting as messenger today. I've got a letter for you."
>"Oh? A letter? From who?" ,he questions curiously.
"From Weathervane."
>"...Weathervane, eh? I'll get to that once my work is done. Set it on my table over there." He motions with his head to a sturdy looking wooden table some feet away from where he's working. You place the letter on the table as he asks.
>"Anything else, Scribe?"
"Well... no, not from me."
>"But I have a few inquiries to make." ,Jane interjects.
>"Ah, Jane. What can I help you with?"

>As their conversation begins, you take it as an opportunity to make yourself scarce.
>You've no more business here, for now at least. But where to next?
>>
>>29590305
We can go see if Tela wanted. Or go talk to Swirl if he's closer.
>>
>>29590305
Let's go see Tela.
>>
>>29590305
Ask Golet how she looks if she were tob disassemble herself into rocks like last time
>>
>>29590695
I would think she would loose her appearance. Oh yeah, we should totally go get some more books for us both to read.
>>
>>29590406 >>29590440
>>29590695 >>29590720

>You exit the workshop, leaving the sounds of metalwork and chatter behind you. The door shuts and you're at the top of the stair case... what a strange thought to have. Where else would you be but the top of the staircase? You need to work on strengthening your mind back up. Haven't read a good book in at least a month.
>You decide that you should find a book or two to read. Maybe do some writing in your journal today. That would be nice... the ink, the quill, the smell of aged parchment... all elements of a perfect day for you. Things denied to you because of your journey to Negra.
>Of course, you won't spend too long here. You still have to return to camp and meet up with Tela. But it wouldn't hurt to stop by the library and find a book to read.

>Descending the stairway and retracing your steps, a thought pops into your head.
"Say, Shale?" ,you say.
>"Yes, Master? ,she responds eagerly.
"Would it be possible for you to break yourself down? One last time?"
>Her eyes get wide and gleam with her eagerness to please, but her mood seems to sink rather quickly.
>"I... I could, Master. But, it would destroy my form. I am sure I could regain it, but it would take time."
"Ah, well, then don't worry about it. Just a bit of curiosity, is all."
>You both continue your walk, and while she is dreary for a time, Shale's mood picks back up quickly. The joy of receiving a name and form are still strong in her.

>As you reach a familiar crossroads in the halls, you stop to think. You remember that the path to the library is a long one, and would cut into your time by at least a couple hours by going there.
>Of course, there's also that shortcut in the throne room, though you aren't sure if you're allowed to use that.
>You vaguely recall some other method that you can use to get there quickly, but the specifics of it escape you for the moment.
>>
>>29590991
Ring the Belle bell!
>>
>>29590991
Assure Shale that we won't make her beak down unless it's an emergency. She's too pretty for that.
>>
>>29591008
>>29591072

>As you go over you're options, Shale tugs at you, worried about something. You don't know what, but something has her bothered.
>"Master?" ,she begins. "I... I know I said I couldn't break myself up but... I could do it if you really want me to."
>You rest a hoof on her dropping head and rub softly.
"I assure you, Shale, that I won't make you break down unless it's an emergency. You're far too pretty for that."
>You can feel her push up against your hoof and move forward, nuzzling into your side. You hold her close to your side as you continue to think on what to do.

>Suddenly, it hits you. You remember what you had forgotten! Reaching behind you, into your saddlebags (and nearly falling for lack of balance; thank goodness for Shale) you pull out a silver bell you had all but forgotten about.
>Shale sees the bell and seems to eye it with some fear, apprehension.
>You hold her close, in an act of comfort and reassurance.
>And then you ring the bell.

>"Greetings, Master. It has been-"
>Quite some time since our last encounter. We are glad that you-"
>"Still require our services, an would be glad to help-
>"In any way possible."
>>
>>29591353
I would very much appreciate if your were to show us the quickest route to the library.
>>
>>29591353
Greetings. Please take me and Shale to the library.
>>
>>29591492
>>29591505

>You acknowledge the Belles with a glance. They look much the same as the last time you saw them, maid outfits and all. Celestebelle with her long pink hair and Bethabelle with her short blue locks, each staring at you with dedication and unwavering loyalty in their eyes. It almost reminds you of Shale... except...
>There is a dead quality to their gaze. An emptiness. They lack emotion. At least, that's the feeling you get. There's so little you know about them, and the air of mystery that surrounds them only makes them that much more unsettling to you.
>That's enough of that internal monologue. You had something you wanted to do.

"Greetings to you both. I would very much appreciate it if you were to show us the quickest route to the library."
>"Us?" ,Celestebelle says. "Who is-"
>"This us?" Bethabelle finishes.
>You can feel Shale sidling up to you, trying her hardest to be brave. Even in this, her grown form, she can't contain whatever fear these two ponies are causing her.
"Us would be Shale and I." ,you say, holding Shale close.
>The Belles steal a glance at Shale, who tries to shrink away.
>"Ah, the Golem." ,Clestebelle says. "Or rather-"
>"The Golet." ,Bethabelle says. "So you have given her growth? Given her name? Given her-"
>"Form? How lucky she must feel. And yet-"
>"Still so weak.
"Enough! Please, just take us to the library."
>"Are you sure that is all that you want?" ,Celestebelle asks. "We would be happy-"
>"To do that and more." Bethabelle says. "Anything, any little thing, for just-"
>"A little more time in the open air. A meager task, perhaps even-"
>"Just a small question?"

>"Anything you would have of us, Master."
>"Anything you would have of us, Master."
>>
>>29591964
Shale's frightened of them, I think we should really just be going, if at least for her sake.

You may take the two of us to the library, and if you really want to be useful, you can gather some more food for Shale. Some minerals, perhaps azurite, and some scrap metals.
>>
>>29591964
"Questions, eh? If I think of any for you, I shall summon you immediately. For now, just the library, thanks."

I dislike having them gather golet-food, they might play some nasty trick as they don't seem to like her much. I'm certain that Orich has an excellent supply of everything Golet could crave, and I want to head back to his shop in a few hours to see what's up with Weathervane anyhow.
>>
Sorry to pause here, but I'm bushed. Night all.
>>
Bep
>>
>>29592841
>>
>>29594698
>>
>>29595449
>>
>>29596070
>>
>>29592072
>>29592133

"Questions,eh? If I think of any for you, I'll be sure to summon you immediately. For now, just the library, thanks."
>"Are you quite sure?" ,Celestebelle starts, clearly doing her best to stall and allow her and her sister a bit more time out from... wherever it is they go. "Perhaps we-"
>"Could find some sustenance for your Golet friend?" ,Bethabelle says. "Shale, was it? We could provide her-"
>"With the finest food a Golet could ever desire. The most pure platinum."
>"The most flawless of diamonds. Gemstones and alloys-"
>"And so much more besides that."
>There offer is tempting, but their very presence is frightening to Shale. And besides that, you aren't totally sure you can trust them with something like gathering food for her.
"The offer is appreciated, but please, I just want to go to the library." You are firm in your tone and they can see you won't budge.

>"As you desire, Master."
>"As you desire, Master."

>With a strange snapping noise, and a dizzying sensation, you find yourselves in the Royal Archives once more.
>"So it has been done, Master" ,Celestebelle starts.
>"Perhaps we could help you browse the many shelves, Master?" ,Bethabelle says.
>Odd. They allowed each other separate sentences, rather than finishing each others. You're answer is the same though.
"No. You may go now."
>Clearly unhappy, but bound to you by the Belle, er, the bell, they depart with a nod and a curtsy.
>They seem to disappear as soon as they leave your line of sight. Unsettling, but at least you won't have to deal with them again for a minute. Now, time to get down to business! What kind of books should you check out?
>>
>>29597138
Since we've already got the premire books on summoning at our hooftips, we should diversify. What branch of magic should we study? I say chronomancy, we've already seen how powerful it is, and we're under the effects of it anyhow. I'd like to study healing, too, but Ton'berri would be a much better resource.
>>
>>29597138
At least one or two fictional novels, maybe a book about earth pony history, and see if we can't find anything on those future seeing mares. Already forgot what they're called. Ask Shale what she would like to read.
>>
>>29597138
Hey, Shale. Do those two make you uncomfortable?
>>
>>29597211 >>29597309
>>29597562

>You've already got the best books you could possibly have when it comes to summoning and the guidelines of it, so you figure it's time to diversify.
>Maybe you should get a book about magic. Tela is going to be teaching you, so it would be prudent to read up on whatever field of magic you would prefer. Perhaps chronomancy? You've already experienced the effects of stopped time, and you've jumped back and forth between the past and present a hooffull of times. It's a very powerful magic, and with how much you've been exposed to it, a bit of proper training might allow you to do as Goldheart does!
>You also consider studying the art of healing, but Ton'berri would be a much better resource for that than any book in this library. So perhaps instead a book on Earth Pony history? Having lived among Unicorns your whole life, you know a shockingly small amount about your own race. It's never really bothered you, but it couldn't hurt to associate yourself with your roots.
>Oh, and perhaps a fictional tale! A story of heroes and romance, of lost love and tragic-
>"Master?" ,Shale says, interrupting your train of thought. "I am sorry for my cowardice."
"...Do those two make you uncomfortable, Shale?" ,you ask, knowing the answer already.
>"They frighten me, Master." ,she admits. "I do not know what it is, but they feel... wrong. I can sense something about that that puts me at unrest."
"Well, don't worry about them. So long as I have their bell, there's nothing they can do to hurt either of us." You think. You aren't actually sure of that, but at least she seems reassured by it.
"So," you continue. "Anything you might want to read, Shale?" Her eyes light up at this question.
>"Oh, I love to read! But, what do I want to read... I think I want to know a bit more about myself, Master. What I am. I know that I am a spirit, and that I am made of stone, but my knowledge is only approximate, not absolute."
>"OH! Could we get a book about rocks?"
>>
>>29597870
Of course, Shale. We can pick up a geology book.
>>
>>29597870
Sure, actually that would be a great idea as it might give us more of an idea what would be good to feed her.
>>
>>29597870
Geology textbook? Or rocks for foals?
>>
>>29597912 >>29598077
>>29598214

"Of course, Shale. We can pick up a geology book."
>She seems to be absolutely giddy at the thought of learning about rocks. You suppose it would make a bit of sense for a spirit placed in a body of stone to not know everything there is to know about rocks. It's not like you know everything about how your body works.
>And in any case, getting a geology book would allow you some better understanding of the things you'd be feeding to her. It's a win-win! Time to start combing the shelves.

>First things first, a book on chronomancy, if such a thing even exists. You start poring through the books in the advanced magical theory section. Nothing quite fits what you're looking for though.
>"Master, I have found something!" ,Shale shouts at you. You walk over to see the book that she's holding, eager for you to see it. You read the title.
"The Unending Flow of Time and Flowing in Time Unending: The Elusive Art of Time Wizardry." This sounds like exactly what you're looking for! "Good job, Shale!" She smiles wide, as you put the book in your saddlebag.
>The book on Earth Pony history is much easier to find, and is placed among a history of all the races. "The History of the Earth-kin and clan, and their contributions to Equine society", it's called. Wordy, but it could definitely be informative. In the bag it goes.
>Now, a fictional story... so much to choose from. Though some of them aren't exactly to your taste; such as the story of the lecherous mage and her effeminate colt ward, who wander the lands getting into all sorts of debaucherous situations. You wonder what perverted soul would be interested in such smut.
>You settle on a book with an image of a great tower on the cover, the title simple, though it's content is cryptic and complex. Turning to geography, you find a book for children and one for experts.
"Er, Shale? Which of these would you prefer?" After a moment of thought, she points to the textbook. Good. Now, what else?
>>
>>29598315
I don't think there's anything else we need. Just go meet Tela now.
>>
>>29598315
I think that'll be all.
>>
>>29598491
>>29598843

>You're pretty sure you're good to go from here. So gathering it all up, you head to the front desk of the archive, prepared to go meet up with Tela.
>Walking up to the large, desk, you find that it lacks some of its more intimidating qualities without Goldheart sitting behind it.
>The librarian that sits there today seems meek, almost afraid to ask you for your books. You wonder why that is.
>"My, my." ,she says, quietly, barely audible. "These are all quite complicated. B-but I'm sure you can handle them. You and you're marefriend both. Oh! It seems as though you have a few other books checked out, withdrawn from under Sister Goldheart. She rarely lets anypony check out books under her watch. You should feel honored.
>Truly, you are.
>"Now, be sure to return these, as well as the other books you checked out, as soon as you are done with them. Please exit through the hall to my left, and do have a pleasant day."
>You and Shale bid her good day, and walk out the hall as she requested. Quite the opposite of Goldheart, really.
>You come to a dead end, just as before, and find that it opens up, into the throne room. You had initially wondered if you should enter through here, but it seems now that this place is your only exit.
>Unless, maybe... perhaps the Belles could transport you out of here? You aren't sure if an encounter with the Royal family is what you need right now.
>On the other hoof, you did just recently save the king's life.
>>
>>29598858
I say we pass through.
>>
>>29598948
Sure
>>
I'm sorry guys, I have to pause. I'll be better tomorrow I promise.
>>
>>29598948
>>29598957

>You decide to just pass through. You have no reason not to, after all. So you hold your head high, and walk into the throne room.
>You almost think you'll get out of here unnoticed, until-
>"Private Ghost Scribe!"
>The King's voice booms throughout the room, as he calls your name.
>"Come to my side, if you would." ,he beckons.
>Not at all eager to disobey your King, you and Shale ascend the staircase leading to the three thrones. Upon reaching the foot of the Kings throne, you bow your head and await further instruction.
>"...Raise your head, Private." ,he commands you. And you do so.
>You lift your head up, meeting the King's unwavering gaze. As you look him in the eye, you can see in your peripheral that he's extending his hoof. But for what?
>He keeps it there for several moments, leaving you confused. Does he want you to kiss it?
>"Well?" ,he questions. "What are you just standing there for? Shake it."
>Shake his hoof? Is that even allowed? Whether or not it is, he has commanded it, and so you shall do. You take hold of his hoof, gripping it tightly, and he returns in kind. A firm, quick shake , over as soon as it started.
>You drop your hoof and stare at it for a moment. What do you do now?
>Your thoughts are interrupted by a fit of laughter, raucous and earth-shaking. The King's laughter, echoing within the room and throughout the halls of Castle Aurus.
>"Look at you! So brave, so kind-and yet, so humble! As if you don't know why I shook your hoof!"
"Is... is this because-"
>"Of course it is boy! My sister took the liberty of informing me of every idiotic, inane action you took in Negra Beliza to provide me with the elixir that granted me health. And while I will stand by my assertions that your actions were ill-thought through, and foolish in the extreme, I cannot deny your kindness and bravery. You have done me a great service, Ghost Scribe. And for that I thank you."
>>
>>29599247
You're welcome, your highness. I'm very happy to see that you're well.
And, uh, no, I guess they weren't very well thought through. I would certainly not be standing here without the help of my friend Brutus.
>>
>>29599048
I appreciate you and genuinely hope that your life improves.

>>29599247
Thank you for your kind words, your Majesty. I was only doing all I could to serve my king, as is a knight's duty.
>>
>>29599346
>I appreciate you and genuinely hope that your life improves.

This a thousand times over.
>>
>>29599247
These:
>>29599337
>>29599346
Including the goodwill toward our plucky QM.
>>
>>29599247
What about the queen and princess? How are they taking this?
>>
>>29599337 >>29599346
>>29600151 >>29601606

"Thank you for your kind words, your majesty." ,you say, bowing your head slightly. "I'm very happy to see that you're well."
"And, uh, no, I guess that my actions weren't very well thought through." ,you admit with a hint of embarrassment. "I would certainly not be standing here without the help of my friend Brutus."
>"Brutus Softsword?" ,the King asks.
"The very same. We were only doing all we could to serve our king, as is a knight's duty."
>"Ah, but the mission is over. He is a knight no more I'm afraid. Though worry not for him. I will see to it that his efforts are justly rewarded."
>You're glad to hear that Brutus will be getting a bit of recognition for his actions. He deserves it.
>Glancing over at the queen and princess to see their reactions, you find that Silvertongue is as disinterested as ever. Although she seems a bit different, looking more closely... discontent? You wouldn't know why. And Goldheart almost seems to be avoiding your gaze. Unusual for her.

>"You know, Ghost Scribe, I must say that I grossly misjudged you and your brother. I was well prepared to write you off as simply another two ponies under my servitude. But your father was a good friend of mine, a trusted companion, despite his position in my court as a fool."
"What are you saying, milord?"
>"I'm saying that I owe you, and by proxy, Starswirl, a debt. In Starswirl's eyes, I have already repaid it, and I will leave it to him to tell you what he has been gifted."
>"But I still owe you something. So I will allow you to ask anything of me. Any one thing, and if I can do or provide it for you, I shall. I understand that the weight of such a decision might be a bit much for you right now. Feel free to return to me if you can't decide right now."
>>
>>29603307
Looks like everyone here cares about the king except for his own family minus Lily. I knew they where bitches, but damn thats cold.
Save the decision for later. We should ask Starswirl first what he got.
>>
>>29603307
I'm afraid I will have to stew on my decision, your majesty.
>>
>>29603384
>>29603457

"I'm afraid I'll have to stew on that decision, your majesty."
>"Ah, of course. No worries, Ghost Scribe. When you've made up your mind, seek me out. Until then, I wish you good health such as you have brought me. Have a pleasant day, Ghost Scribe."
"Thank you, your majesty."
>You bow and turn away, descending the staircase with Shale. You're surprised the king didn't say anything about her, but the less you have to explain, the better.
>You're roughly halfway down the staircase when you're stopped in your tracks bay a hoof on your shoulder. The shock of it causes your armor to activate.
>You turn to see... Goldheart? How did she sneak up on you like that?

"Is there something I can help you with, Princess?" ,you ask her.
>She looks at you, conflicting emotions in her eyes. You aren't sure what she wants, how she feels, or what she wants to say. Based on the contortions of her face (whether or not they are intentional, you don't know) you're fairly certain she doesn't know either. But she soon enough finds her words.
>"I... I am grateful to you, Ghost Scribe." ,she says slowly. "You have ensured that our kingdom does not fall. You have ensured that the king will live on."
>"And you... you saved my father's life. I... I am not sure what to say to that... but again I thank you."
>She seems to be having a remarkably rough time voicing whatever it is she's feeling to you.
>"And, in addition to whatever gift you would have of my father, I would like to present a gift of my own." She seems to choke this statement out, nervous and shaky, though she hides it well.
>She closes her eyes and leans in towards you, her lips puckered and her brow quivering in anticipation. Is she expecting a kiss?
>>
>>29603869
Stop her. She clearly hasn't made her mind up enough about this, and it feels like she is just using it as an excuse to get closer to us.
>>
>>29603869
Ask instead for a different gift. Merely an afternoon of her time, a lunch with her.

I want to know her better. Figure her out.
>>
>>29603918
>>29604022

>She inches closer and closer to you, but this isn't what you want and you're fairly sure she knows that. It's almost like she's just using her father's recovery as an excuse to get close to you.
>You put a hoof to her lips and stop her advances. She opens her , and stares at you, her cheeks turning red.
>"I... I'm sorry." ,she says, stepping back from you. "I should have known better, but... I didn't and I'm not sure why. Forgive this lapse in my judgement."
"Wait a moment, Princess." ,you say, stopping her from retreating to her throne. "This isn't a gift I want, but perhaps you can gift me with something else. Perhaps an afternoon of your time, a lunch with you. Does this sound agreeable?"
>"I... suppose. I feel that might be enjoyable. But I wear many hats, Ghost Scribe. I don't know when I might find the time to have this lunch with you."
"Well, when you do, let me know. I'll be waiting."
>"...Right. I will. Oh, and before you go, Ghost Scribe, a question for you: what did it sound like?"
"What did what sound like?" ,you ask, genuinely confused. The confusion is quickly removed, as the world around you freezes. It's just as it was on the road to Negra Beliza.
>"That." ,she says. "What did it sound like to you? I need to know. Please."
>>
>>29604144
A loud, deep bellow accompanied by the slowing tick of a clock.
Why?
>>
>>29604144

>>29604184
This.
What do you hear?
>>
>>29604144
Why do you need to know?
>>
>>29604184 >>29604207
>>29604237

"It was a loud deep bellow," you tell her. "accompanied by the slowing tick of a clock. Why do you need to know?"
>"I was told once, a long time ago, that the flow of time is inaudible until it is slowed." ,she says, the stress of freezing time beginning to show on her face. "And that it sounds different to all that hear it. I've never met anypony else that can move in my world of stopped time... I was just curious to see what you heard."
"Well, what do you hear?"
>"What do I hear?" ,she repeats. "To me, the flow of time is a thing of beauty. The ticking of a clock, ever present and evenly spaced; accountable, reliable and easily tracked. Such bliss in it's symmetry, such tranquility in it's perfection... truly it is the only thing that brings me peace."
>"...But I suppose you didn't need to know all that." With that statement, time resumes. "Thank you for telling me, Ghost Scribe. Have a pleasant day."
>She turns away, intent on maintaining a bit of dignity in this situation. You think that you're done here for now.
>...You really don't know how to feel about her.

>Leaving the castle, you think about what you could possibly ask the king for. If he can provide you with anything, then this is something that needs to be thought about carefully.
>Your thoughts occupy you all the way back to the barracks, and you hardly notice as Shale reintroduces herself to everypony in town.
>As you enter the courtyard of the training area, things seem different. More lively. At least, you hope it would, with the vast majority of the Golden Suns having returned from their walling.
>Ponies sparring, practicing on dummies, and just generally exercising; it's much like it was the first day you arrived. It's oddly nostalgic, despite what a short time ago it was.

>In the middle of the crowd, you spot a pensive old stallion, simply standing and staring at the sky. You run over to him and before you can speak, he asks a question:
>"Are you ready, Scribe?"
>>
>>29604390
I'm ready.
>>
>>29604390
As ready as I'll ever be.
>>
>>29604390
What are we doing again?
>>
>>29604390
That entirely depends on what for.
Am I ready to keep talking? Sure.
Am I ready to dodge a giant falling rock? No.
Am I ready to plan out and prepare a six course dinner for Orich in drag? Definitely not.
>>
>>29604596 >>29604534
>>29604463 >>29604457

"That depends on what I'm supposed to be ready for." ,you say to Tela.
>"Ha! I suppose it does, doesn't it?" ,he responds gleefully. "Starswirl, if you could come over here please." You can barely hear him over the ruckus of the training grounds. If Starswirl's nearby, you have no idea ho-
>"HOY, SCRIBE!" ,shouts a boisterous voice from nearby. "How ya doin' this fine day, oh beautiful brother of mine?" He greets you with verve and a skip in his step, his voice clear above all others. He's excited to see you and you him.
"I'm doing just fine, Swirly. Excellent, even."
>"Great to hear, Scribe. Now, have I got news for you. The king-"
>"There will be a place for idle chatter, boys," Tela interrupts. "But it is not here, and it is not now. You asked for training, Ghost Scribe, and I have been told of how eager your brother is to partake in all sorts of magical arts."
>He seems to beckon to somepony in the distance, and as he does, the yard begins to quiet. A gap forms, from which Sanctus and Lenna emerge, carrying the strange device that Tela had retrieved from his basement.
>They stop just short of Starswirl, as if they seek to place the device on him.
>"Now I will ask again: are you ready?"
"As ready as I'll ever be."
>Tela smiles slyly at you.
>"Good. Lenna, Sanctus, apply the device. Lily, if you would."
>Lily? Is he talking about the Captain? Surely he can't-
"Whoa, whoa, whats going on?!" , you shout as you are lifted up onto your hindlegs, your forelegs held behind your back.
>"I'm sorry, Scribe, I'm so, so sorry." ,you can hear Captain Lily whispering.
>"You're just going to have to trust me on this one, Ghost Scribe." Tela says. You watch as his hoof begins to glow with magic. He reels it back and then-
"OOF!" ,you release, as he punches you square in the gut. Something about that wasn't right. You've had all the wind knocked out of you. Your can't do anything but writh on the ground. You're seizing up!
>>
>>29604986
Assuming this will be continued and isn't a prompt, from 'You can't do anything but writhe on the ground'.
>>
>As you wriggle and squirm on the ground, you feel as if you've been struck by lightning twice over. You struggle to catch your breath, your lungs unable to take advantage of the short, ragged bursts of air entering your body.
>From the edges of your blurry peripheral, you can see that the device that Lenna and Sanctus had been carrying has been affixed to Starswirl. It's covering his whole head, and you can see that he's trying desperately to remove it. Is he in pain too? More pain than you? Less? You don't know. But you do know that as you watch a collection of small needles around the rim of the device jam themselves into his head, you've never felt anything like what you feel now.

>You sense Shale at your side, trying futilely to bring you to your hooves. You can only imagine the panic she must be in. You feel so betrayed. What had you done to deserve this? Was this a punishment of some sort?
>While pondering the nature of how absolutely crushed you are, you can hear Tela's voice ringing in the background.
>"Breathing is the key, Scribe. Breath, and all will be well."
>So you try to control your breathing. The ragged breaths, turn to staggered draws. After several minutes, the staggered draws turn to deep drafts. And several minutes after that, you feel as though you could fill your lungs with more air than this mortal plane has to offer. The electricity in your body slowly starts to rescind, and you make a slow, sloppy recovery onto your hooves.

>As you stand you see several things. A group of your fellow Suns, looking onward at you, some with fright, others with interest. Lenna and Sanctus, arguing silently, about what you don't know, and possibly don't care.
>To your side, is Starswirl... collapsed, twitching, the device still on his head.
>And directly in front of you is Tela, a smug expression plastered on his wrinkly old face.
>>
>>29605115
What is this, Tela? What's it doing to him?
>>
>>29605115
Is Starswirl okay?
>>
>>29605115
What did you do to me? To us?
>>
>>29605141 >>29605180
>>29605190

"What is this, Tela?" ,you ask, trying to keep your breathing steady. You can slowly feel yourself starting to regain energy, but you attribute it to your rising anger. "What did you do to him? To me? To both of us?"
>"I've done only what you ask." ,he answers smugly. He knows exactly what you meant, and he answers with a platitude. You would punch him if you weren't so worried about your brother.
"Is Starswirl all right? Will he be okay?"
>"Why don't you see for yourself?"
>A bit bitter at what you've just been through, but more concerned for your brother than anything, you move towards him. All the pain from before has subsided. And just as before, you feel energized, as though that electrical current from before had started to work with your body rather than against it. It's a... remarkable feeling.
>How you feel isn't what's important right now though.
"Starswirl?" ,you call to him, reaching out. "Are you all right? Answer me!"
>You grab hold of his hoof, trying to pull him up, when BOOM. Lightning strikes once more. But it doesn't hurt this time. THe lightning is coming from your body and going to Starswirl's, crackling and snapping and moving your bodies outside your own will.
>The device around Starswirls head begins to crack and fall apart, revealing his face to you. No injuries. Everything is normal, save for his eyes; his eyes, glowing a bright white, a light source all there own, his horn glowing brighter than you've ever seen, his magic, potent and uncontrolled, lifting you into the air!
>And then, just as suddenly, the lightning is gone. You drop to the ground, both of you, in unison. You're breathing, much to your own surprise, is still steady, but Starswirl is barely catching his own.
>You look at him, and he looks at you, and n either of you know what to say.
>>
pausing
>>
>>29605399
Comfort Starswirl as best as we can.
>>
>>29605399
So...can we finally get an explanation? Or is this one of those "it won't work if you're expecting it" things?
>>
>>29605399
That was certainly... magical, however some context to what has just transpired would be greatly appreciated, Master Tela.
>>
Bep
>>
>>29605399
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHWHATWASTHATFOR
>>
>>29605450
I tink he's ok now.
>>
>>29605450 >>29605503
>>29605514 >>29606674
>>29607515

>Your first thought is to comfort Starswirl, make sure he's okay. He could be hurt, maybe not externally but internally, and the thought that he could be dying and you'd be none the wis-
>No. No, you can't think like that. He seems fine. You're sure that if he were hurting in any way, you'd know. Starswirl was never one to hide his pain, especially not from you. You're worrying for no reason. At least, you hope you are.
>Besides, you feel fine, despite the dramatic ordeal you've just been put through. Good, even. It's absolutely bizarre how good you feel. At least physically. Emotionally, you feel like you need to-
"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHWHATWASTHATFOR!" ,you shout, your psyche calmed by your primal shout. Not usually your style but it felt good.
>Your shout startles those around you, and snaps Starswirl out of whatever stupor he was in. His horn is crackling with magical energy, and his eyes still have a faint glow to them. Both fade as he looks to you, concerned.
>"Hoy, hoy, Scribe! What just happened?"
"I'd like to know that myself. Tela! Explain yourself!"
>"Aha! But what is there to explain? You both wanted magical training, and so you shall receive it. I've simply provided you the means to get started."
"That tells me nothing, Tela! I've about had it with vague answers. Tell me what you just did to us." ,you demand.
>"Oh, poo, and here I was thinking I could have a bit of fun. To be frank, I've only awakened what was already inside you. Your magic. For the both of you."
>"The now destroyed device I had attached to Starswirl has unlocked his full potential as a unicorn. But, what he does with that is entirely up to him."
>"Sweet mother of..." ,you hear Starswirl whisper.
>"As for you, Ghost Scribe, what I have done to you will require a more... physical, explanation."
"What do you mean? I say you've been pretty physical with me already."
>"Just get up and do something. Anything. Be creative. You'll see."
>>
>>29609508
Well, I was thinking it would be pretty neat to be able to jump like Lily.
>>
>>29609541
yeah if we want to break all our bones again
>>
>>29609763
We have an improved Golet now, and we just got a bunch of magic and were told to "be creative."

So either suggest something or continue to be boring and unhelpful.
>>
>>29609541

>You bring yourself to your hooves, not nearly as groggy as you were before, and ever so slightly agitated. Well, not slightly. You're pretty mad. But that's starting to subside.
>So he awakened your magic, did he? You find that hard to believe. You're an Earth pony, and a scribe at that, you hardly have any sort of magic to offer. But what the hay, can't hurt to try something.
>What to do though? Admittedly, you aren't terribly creative. Starswirl's the creative one, you're the sensible one; you keep him grounded and he keeps you mentally limber. One thing does come to mind though: you've been thinking lately, how neat it would be, if you could jump with Lily's strength. Why not give that a try?

>You take a moment, stretching yourself and getting ready for what is sure to be an underwhelming jump. Leg after leg, stretch stretch, stretch, stretch.
>And a few in-place-trots couldn't hurt. Maybe a little galloping in circles, you know, just to get yourself limbered up. While you're at it, maybe a few-
>"Whatever you plan on doing, Ghost Scribe," Tela says. "I suggest you stop stalling and do it now."
>Stalling? Who's stalling? Not you that's for sure. You certainly aren't nervous that Tela might have been doing more that blowing hot air and actually unlocked some kind of strange magic deep with-
>"TODAY PLEASE, GHOST SCRIBE!"
>Tela's shout interrupts your train of thought and causes you to jump in mild shock. But the jump you take is anything but mild. It's as if an explosion of force placed itself between your hooves and the ground, propelling you into the sky at startling speeds!
>You aren't nearly as high as Lily can go, but you're still a good several meters up, higher than anything you've ever done before! The ponies below you look up with surprise.
>You hurtle back to the ground at high speed, landing with surprising softness. Tela looks at you, smug as ever.

>"So", he says. "Is that explanation enough?"
>>
>>29609798
Well, I'll give it to you, Tela. Your methods are effective.
>>
>>29609798
Let's give it a real go now, not just a startled jump.
>>
>>29609798
...still doesn't explain what the punch and lightning was for...

Can't deny his results though. So, I guess this is one of those "your mind's preceptions are the only limit" kind of thing? Because being able to dull pain would be pretty good...

Oooh, let's try something else. Could we get Lily to throw something at us really fast and see if we can use magic to speed up our reflexes enough to catch it?
>>
>>29609798
And who says it takes hard work and determination to achive greatness? Though I do not appreciate your vagueness I am greatful for these abilities.
>>
>>29609816 >>29609823
>>29610010 >>29610242

"Not really, no." ,you say, still largely ignorant as to what has been done to you. "Although, I can't deny these results. Is this one of those things where my minds perceptions are my only limits? Because let me tell you, being able to dull pain would be nice...
>"The mental aspect is only a small portion of a greater whole." ,Tela says. "You are, after all, an earth pony. Not a unicorn."
"And what is that supposed to mean?" ,you say indignantly.
>"Exactly what it sounds like. You are an Earth pony, and your magic lies in matters of the body, not the mind."
>Matters of the body, eh? Then maybe you should give your bodies newfound abilities a proper test drive.
>You prepare to jump again, ready to soar among the clouds, knowing, or at least hoping, that your landing will be a soft one. So you bend your legs, kick off the ground and-!
"Ooff!" ,you cry hitting the ground. You hardly got a few inches this time. What gives?
>"And therein lies the body aspect." ,Tela says. "When I struck you, my hoof filled with magic, I, how would you say.... Well, let's say that the flow of magic in your body is like a pulled wagon. And it was stuck in the mud. By striking you like I did, I gave your pulled wagon a push, and now it's not stuck in the mud anymore. But it's entirely up to you to keep the wagon moving. Do you understand, Ghost Scribe?"
>>
>>29610568
So how do I practice?
>>
>>29610568
I suppose, but how to I keep moving? And what of Starswirl?
>>
>>29610568
I believe so.The question is, how do I start 'pushing the wagon'? Keeping a constant flow from there seems easy in theory, if taxing.
>>
>>29610583 >>29610589
>>29610662

"I think so." ,you reply. "But how do I start 'pulling the wagon'? Keeping a constant flow seems easy in theory, if taxing."
>"Well, to keep the wagon going, so to speak, you need the strength to pull it. You're strength is there, but it is untrained. Your body is not attuned to the roads it walks. You are an Earth pony who is not in tune with the Earth."
>You're getting really tired of being spoken to in platitudes.
"What does that even mean?!" ,you shout.
>"It means you've grown up around unicorns, Ghost Scribe. You haven't worked as the Earth ponies have, upon farms, in mines, working with, growing from and cultivating the Earth. You lack the natural magic which all Earth ponies possess." He pauses to gaze at the ground beneath your hooves.
>"...However, you might be able to make up for that with sheer potential."
>Wondering what he must be looking at that makes him say so. Nothing out of the ordinary, as far as you can see, just some grass, a weed or two, and-
"Grass? Grass has no business growing here." ,you say, flabbergasted. "This is a stone courtyard in the middle of winter!"
>"And yet, it grows." ,Tela says. "This is the magic of which I speak, the magic of Earth ponies. You hold the capacity to give liffe, for boundless strength within yourself; you only have to unlock it."
"So how do I practice? How do I gather this strength?"
>"I'm sure you felt your breathing change after I instructed you, yes? There lies the key."
"My breathing?"
>"Precisely. Take in the air around you, let it flow through your body, provide you with the strength you need. Once you have mastered your breath, you will have taken the first step towards mastering the magics of the Earth."

Queued asking about Starswirl
>>
>>29611016
Well, little to be done but to try some breathing. Deep, controlled, long breaths, just like after he punched us. That seemed to work well.
>>
>>29611016
If Scribe's farts end up creating plant life I will be sorely disappointed after that cryptic speech Tela just did.
>>
>>29611016
Do as he says and simply focus on breathing. Shut out all other things.

Scribe needs to calm down. It's not like him to yell about. I think he would be a bit shaken after descovering that there is a big part of who he is as an earthpony that has been neglected and left to wither.
>>
>>29611111
All I want ro say is CHECK OUT THOSE DIGITS.
>>
>>29611111
Quints of wisdom demand Scribe cools off.
>>
>>29611031 >>29611036
>>29611111

>Master your breath, he says? Well... you suppose there's little to be done here but to practice. And what better time to practice then here? What better time then now? As you steady yourself, you wonder if you can repeat the results of the breathing from earlier. You get nervous, as your knees get weak and your legs get a bit heavy. All these ponies watching you... but it's nothing you should be worrying about. You have to stop worrying. You need to calm yourself.
>You take long, drawn out breaths, your chest expanding and contracting in deep waves. The sound you make as you breath is clear and distinctive.
"Kooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh."

>The very method of breathing feels powerful. As you draw it in, you can feel the energy from before coursing through your body, a natural electricity, hot and full of life! It's as if the strength of the sun and the stars themselves were coursing through your very body, giving energy, and lifting your spirits!
>It crackles throughout your entire being, exiting through you into the ground, causing the grass to grow even thicker. It feels, for lack of a better word, liberating.
>"I'll say, Scribe," you hear Starswirl mutter. "That's a mighty impressive feat you're accomplishing, boyo."
>You stop your breathing, and can feel the energy begin to dissipate. The feelings it brought you remain though.
"It's incredible, isn't it?" ,you say, barely able to contain your excitement. "But, Tela," you ask. "What of Starswirl? You said that you unlocked his potential, but what does that mean?"
>"It means quite a bit more than I can explain in a reasonable amount of time. In short, your brother is now a Blue mage. And a Red mage. And a Green mage. As well as a White and Black mage."
"Are you saying he-"
>"Potentially, Scribe, potentially. We'll just have to see where this training leads us. Now," he says, as Lily, Sanctus and Lenna get the other Suns to return to their normal activites. "Let's begin."
>>
Pausing
>>
>>29611481
Montage time?
>>
>>29611481
How is Shale taking this?
>>
>>29611505
>>29611481
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oomCIXGzsR0
>>
>>29611581
actually, these are better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lb3MTlIrC4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR6FXpaECY8
>>
>>29611623
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK4gv11PTI8
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSS5dEeMX64
>>
bep
>>
>>29615476
>>
>>29611481
bump
>>
>>29611481
This is sounding super cool. Mysterious, but awesome.
>>
File: Oh yo.png (1MB, 3564x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Oh yo.png
1MB, 3564x2448px
Oh you, Alt Knight.
>>
>>29618294
>>
>>29620223
>>
>>29620962
>>
>"Now, I say let's begin," Tela starts. "But, perhaps I should say, let's be off. I'd love to get started with your training proper, but, here is not the best place. You know of the bathhouse, yes? Meet me there immediately."
>He departs without a further word.
>As your fellow Suns return to their normal training regimens (save for a few stragglers who can't help but look on), Starswirl gets up and moves to your side.
>"What a... strange occurrence." ,he says, at a loss for words as far as you can see. "Unlocked my potential he says. What does that even mean, Scribe? And that breathing of yours, that energy... so bizarre. It's wonderful!"
>"Imagine what this could mean for us, Scribe! Imagine the possibilities that have been unlocked!"
"This is quite... something." ,you reply. Starswirl's enthusiasm is reassuring. It isn't your focus though. Nor is the revelation of your Earth pony magic.
"Shale?" ,you call out. "Shale!"
>"Yes, Master?" ,she asks, walking up to you meekly, seemingly fearful of something. "Are you okay?"
"Yes, Shale, I'm fine. Are you okay?"
>"Of course I'm okay, Master." ,she says, a bit confused by your question. "Why would I not be? My Master has discovered something new about himself, and is growing stronger. If anything, I am happy!"
>Her statement is reinforced by the wide, friendly smile on her face. What a good girl she is.
>"Hoy, Scribe." ,Starswirl interjects. "I take it this is the Golet you summoned from before?"
"It is, yes. I let her grow, gave her a name, an appearance. She's her own mare, in a sense. No longer just a piece of stone.
>Shale nuzzles up to you, made even happier by your words. A few ponies notice this and seem to think it odd, but quickly move on.
>"Aye, she seems more pony than stone now, that's for sure. It's wild, isn't it, boyo? How much has happened in just a few months? All that's still happening?"
>>
>>29622181
"Truely we live in a time of great happenings, brother! I may have had my doubts at first but I think this is definitely the best thing for us, coming here."
>>
>>29622181
I definitely is, brother. I wonder how crazy it will get.

Now we ponder oue magic.
>>
>>29622181
"Yes, we've been having some bazaar adventurers recently.
I wouldn't be surprised if one of us was walking on water by the end of the week."
>>
>>29622777
Impressive numbers but I think you mean "bizarre."
>>
>>29622331 >>29622405
>>29622777

"It truly is, brother. Truly we live in a time of great happenings!" , you exclaim. "I may have had my doubts at first, but I think this was definitely the best thing for us, coming here. What with these bizarre adventures, I wouldn't be surprised if one of us was walking on water by weeks end."
>"Aye, I'd never lead you astray, Scribe." ,he replies, his eyes gleaming with excitement. :I knew things would work out for us eventually, one way or another. Now come on, we've got to get to that bath house, Master Tela's waiting, and I can't wait to learn more!"
>He runs off out of the courtyard, not giving you the chance to even tell him where the bath house is. You chuckle to yourself and prepare to follow after him, Shale in tow.
>As you approach the exit yourself, your fellow Suns giving you a respectable berth, you're stopped by a hoof on your shoulder. Craning your neck, you see Weathervane, looking anxious and sweaty. And also a bit cold because of the sweaty bit.

>"Hate to stop you when you're clearly off to start some life-changing training, but I need to know: did you, uh, do the thing?" ,he asks nervously.
"The thing? Oh! Yes, of course, I did it right away." ,you reply. "Orich was busy so he didn't read it right away, but-"
>"Oh no, that's fine, that's fine. As long as he knows it's there, he'll read it. He's very good about that kind of stuff."
>"Thank you, Scribe!" ,he says running off back to the armory. "Thank you!"
>Waving farewell, you exit the courtyard, and find Starswirl, standing in the snow, quite embarrassed.
>"Hoy, er, Scribe. As it turns out, I have no idea where this bath house is."
>You laugh under your breath.
"I figured as much. Fortunately, I know exactly where it is. Follow me, and I'll-"
>"Scribe, wait!" a feminine voice calls after you. With blistering speed, Captain Lily jumps in front of you, blocking your path.
>"Scribe, I'm so sorry!" ,she says. "I'm so sorry to have betrayed your trust like that."
>>
>>29622181
Try some magic, swirly
>>
>>29622865
Are you okay?
>>
>>29622865
It's fine Lily, really. It all turned out for the better didn't it?
>>
>>29622928
>>29622960

"Are you okay, Lily?" ,you ask the near hysteric mare.
>"Am I okay?" ,she says. "Goodness, Scribe, listen to you! No concern for yourself, asking me if I'm okay when you've just been through one of the most alien and frightening experiences I've ever witnessed."
"Well, it was no being trapped in a dragon's throat, that's for sure." ,you respond quickly.
>"...No, I suppose not."
"It's fine Lily, really." ,you assure her. "It all turned out for the better, didn't it?"
>"I... I suppose it did. I'll let you return to your training, Scribe. Oh, and good day to you, Starswirl." She walks off, seeming to be lost in thought.
>"And a good day to you, Miss Lily." ,Starswirl replies, though you're certain she didn't hear. "Strange mare, she is, aye Scribe?"
"No stranger than that Rain of yours." ,you banter back.
>"Oho! Ha, fair enough, Scribe. Now, let's be off, lots to do, eh?"
>With that, you set off to the bath house, leading the way for your brother.

>Shale keeps close to you as you walk in the direction of the bath house, and asks you many things, at first just general questions (which you answer happily) but then, more complex things.
>"Master? What is wrong with the yellow maned mare?"
"Captain Lily? What do you mean?"
>"Well, at first, I simply thought she was a mean mare, violent and cruel. She hurt you and this upset me. But, recently... she has been giving off very conflicting emotions. She is angry and happy and many things at the same time."
>"What is wrong with her? Is she ill? It seems so abnormal that all these conflicting emotions should exist at once."
>>
>>29623358
Ponies are very odd and complicated things, Shale. Ponies can feel many emotions at once. Many ponies are often much different than you first take them for.
>>
>>29623358
>>29623516
>>
>>29623358

Do this
>>29623516

Additionally, Shale should keep an eye for those kinds of wide-ranging or complex emotions. Picking what subtle actions and cues that may conflict with tone of voice or words is a useful skill to have, and is good to invest in. It would also help her learn more about ponies through easy observation.
>>
>>29623516 >>29623572
>>29623948

"Well, ponies are very odd, complicated things, Shale." ,you explain. "They say strange things, they feel strange ways, sometimes many different emotions at once."
>"But, if you don't know how they feel, how do you know how to feel about them? It's confusing to me, Master."
"Well, it's true that many ponies are often much different than you first take them for. But, that's the fun; getting to know them for who they really are. Do you understand that?"
>"I... think I do, Master."
>"She's a smart one, isn't she?", Starswirl remarks. "Much smarter than that night you and her burst in on me and Rain, eh?"
"Y-yeah," you say, chuckling uncomfortably. "Much. And she'll only keep getting smarter. Isn't that right, Shale?"
>You don't get a response from her though. She's thinking about something, and hard.
"Shale?"
>"...I'm sorry, Master. I was just re-evaluating something. I did not like the yellow maned mare before- Lily as she is called. But, my feelings towards her have changed. I do not dislike her, nor do I like her. But I think I would like to be her friend."
>You smile at the statement.
"I think I could arrange that. "

>You and Starswirl spend the next several minutes discussing what the individual experiences Tela had inflicted on you felt like.
>You had just finished talking about the lighting-esque feeling, the heat like stars and the sun, the effervescent and prevailing liveliness you had felt.
>You didn't feel those things now, but you're sure that you're training will bring those feelings back and to a head.
>"Well, I'm glad you're experience was pleasant. That helmet, it was... something, let me tell you. Pins and needles, digging into my head, an unfathomable heat and then... cold. Piercing, bitter cold. Until you grabbed hold of me, it felt... it felt like I was going to die. My brain still trembles. I feel like I can do anything! And yet..."
>He trails of, his eyes growing dark and distant.
>>
>>29624006
Any idea what it was all for? Seems like if this is how mages are made, much fewer would be interested in being one.
>>
>>29624006
Yet what, Swirl?
>>
Super tired gotta pause
>>
>>29624773
>>
"Yet what, Swirl?" ,you question. But he doesn't answer. His eye are affixed on something in the distance. You look to see what it must be, but there is only snow for several yards around.
"Starswirl, yet what?" ,you repeat, louder this time. The volume of your voice snaps his attention back to you.
>"Oh, uh, and yet...yet... I can't recall what I was going to say." ,he says. "Sorry 'bout that, Scribe."
"Oh, no, don't worry about it, Swirly. I'm sure it'll come back to you."
>The two of you walk in awkward silence for a moment. You'd normally be fine with it, but you get the feeling Starswirl shouldn't be stewing in his own thoughts after an ordeal like what you've both been through.
"So, uh, any idea what it was all for?" ,you ask. "Seems like if this is how mages are made, much fewer would be interested in being one."
>"That's not how mages are made, boyo." ,Starswirl says somberly. "Most mages are born mages, the rest are trained. That device was unique, and now, it's destroyed. I dont know what it did to me exactly, but whatever it was, I'll be the first and last pony it ever does it to."
>Another moment of loaded silence.
>"Scribe, I'm sorry, but could we discuss something else? Thinking about that device makes my headache."
>>
>>29627147
Sorry...
Say, the King said that he gifted you something to repay a debt, what did he give you?
>>
>>29627147
It's fine, brother. Say, I heard the queen gave you a hard time while I was away.
>>
>>29627147
"I'm just shocked that it did all he says, if you can now master every branch of magic. That must be an incredibly rare thing! I can't wait to see what you can do in time, O brother mine!"
>>
>>29627208 >>29627214
>>29627376

"Sorry..."
>"Don't be." ,he says.
"...Say, I heard the queen gave you a hard time while I was away."
>"Hmm? Oh, the queen. Right, she did, she did. I do my best to respect the royalty, but Silvertongue just seems... petty. Not at all royal in her conduct. My interactions with Goldheart have been less than stellar, but she at least carries herself like a princess; has an air of responsibility about her, you know?"
"Yeah, I get what you mean. I've yet to hear anypony that has a kind word to say about her. Can't say I know her well enough to say anything myself though."
"Speaking of royalty though," you continue. "I heard the king something to repay a debt. What did he give you?"
>"Oh, I was waiting for you to ask that." ,he says excitedly. "The king remarked on how you had done him a great service and how close our father had been to him. He said, and I quote, surely you must bear some merit beyond that of a buffoon."
"Sounds a bit harsh to me." ,you say.
>"Ah, but you haven't heard what he offered me. He said that while I while maintain my position as fool, if I were to obtain training, he would allow me to act as his personal guard!"
>The king's personal guard? That's incredible!
"That's wonderful news, Swirly!"
>"Aye, it is. That's why whatever training Master Tela has to offer, I have to accept it. Even if it involves more of... that thing."
>You think back to what Tela said the mysterious device would allow Starswirl to do.
'You know, I'm just shocked that the thing does all he says. That must be a rare thing, to be able to master every branch of magic. I can't wait to see what you can do in time, O brother of mine!"
>"Neither can I. But, speaking of magic..." ,he stops speaking for a moment, turning to look at Shale. "I've been thinking about that spirit of yours. Shale, was it? And I think that, maybe... I might be wanting my own. Not a Golet, but a spirit all the same. What say you? I think it might be good magical practice."
>>
>>29627642
Sure, I could do with some more evocation practice
>>
>>29627642
Different types for different traits. Got anything in mind? Golets, for example, are protective.
>>
>>29627642
Evocation is not to be taken lightly. Spirits can be much more agressive than Shale. I think you should read into it and talk with Tela before even thinking about attempting it. I don't want an Ifrit tearing down the kingdom.
>>
>>29627668 >>29627676
>>29627707

"Evocation isn't to be taken lightly, Starswirl." ,you start seriously. "Spirits can be much more aggressive than Shale. Honestly, I think you should read into a bit and talk to Tela before even thinking about attempting it."
>"Well, hey now, Scribe." ,he says indignantly. "If I recall correctly, I was the first of us to actually perform a successful summon."
"Exactly." ,you remark. "I don't want an Ifrit tearing down the city."
>"Hmph. Fair enough. But still, I'd like to give it another go."
"Oh, of course. I could certainly use more practice with evocation myself, and I'd love to learn alongside you. Speaking of which, did you have any kind of spirit i particular in mind?"
>"Well... not really. Haven't had much of a chance to take a look at the guide."
"Well, just remember, different types for different traits. Golets like shale are especially protective, for example."
>"Aye, I'll keep it in mind, Scribe. But another time perhaps." ,he says in a rushed tone.
>"Hoy, look!" ,he shouts, as though you've never seen the thing he's pointing out. "There's the bathhouse! Hurry, Master Tela's sure to be waiting fo-"
>Swirly's words are cut short as he collides with an invisible wall, smashing his snoot with a thunk.
>You hear a raspy, old voice chuckling just behind you.
>"Oh, I was hoping one of you would do that!" ,you hear Master Tela say, as he manifests from seemingly nowhere. "Remember, I said to meet me at the bath house, not in it."
>"Aye, Master," Starswirl says, rubbing his tender snoot. "My apologies."
>"Accepted, Starswirl, but you must learn to be more attentive, more focused."
>"Aye, Master Tela. I understand."
>"Good, good. Now, bid you're brother farewell, we must be off."
>"What?" ,Starswirl says, surprised. "What do you mean, bid farewell?"
>"I mean exactly that. Were you under the impression that you would be training together? Don't be absurd! Your capabilities and needs are as different as night and day!"
>>
>>29628099
Well, to be frank, yes.
>>
>>29628099
Well why didn't he just say so earlier? This would have saved a lot of snoots.
>>
>>29628099
Well, the world seems set to drive us apart, brother. Good luck with your training.
>>
>>29628099
Good luck, Swirl.

Let's visit Rain.
>>
>>29628148 >>29628206
>>29628212 >>29628235

"Well, to be frank, Master Tela," you start. "You never said anything to indicate otherwise. We simply assumed we'd be training with each other."
>"Did I not say anything about that? Hmm. Must have slipped my mind. But, no, you won't be training together. Of course this is due to no fault of your own!" ,Tela assures you. "Despite the fact that I awakened your magical flow, Ghost Scribe, I lack the knowledge and proper skill to train you properly in the matters of your spirit."
"But then, who will train me?"
>"Your teachers await within the bath house. You will be spending a great deal of time there for the next few weeks. Of course, that's only if you seek to train your capabilities."
">"And worry not." ,he continues. "You'll still have plenty of time to yourself should you choose to go on with this training."

>Despite his explanations and assurances, you're still a bit confused and frustrated.
"Why exactly didn't you explain this earlier, Master Tela?"
>"Ah, well, I hate to say it, but I'm old, Ghost Scribe, even by Unicorn standards. I forget things here and there. However! I do remember everything there is to know about everything I need to know to teach Starswirl what he needs to know; you know?"
"I think?"
>"Good. Now, do as you please from here. I've done pretty much all I can in regards to training, meager though it may have been."

>"Hoy, Scribe." ,Starswirl says. "Bring 'er in." He reaches out a hoof. You take it, and you pull each other in for a tight hug.
"Good luck in your training, brother. I'll see you soon, right?"
>"Aye, sooner than you'd than you'd think, Scribe. And, if you should pursue you're training, I wish you good luck. Hell, whatever you do, good luck."
"Heh. Thanks, Swirly."
>"I love you, brother."
"I love you, too."

>Releasing each other, you watch as Tela and Swirly disappear to who knows where.
>Now you have a choice: move on with your day, or begin training.
>>
>>29628388
Training
>>
>>29628388
Training!
>>
>>29628462
>>29628508

>Gazing at the door to the bath house, you strengthen your resolve. If Starswirl is going to be training, then you will train as well. You'll grow alongside him. You'll grow for you.
"Come Shale, we're jumping together this time."
>"Is that safe, Master?" ,she questions.
"If it wasn't, would you even be questioning me?"
>This logical quandary leaves her confused, and before she can respond, you grab her by her foreleg, and pull as hard as you can.
>Of course, this doesn't get you far, as Shale weighs far more than you and is likely much stronger. But she humors you, and allows herself to be pulled forward.
>As the two of you fall, the long drop now friendly and familiar, you can feel each others emotions, excitement, happiness, and just a twinge of fear. Strange new things await you at the bottom this time, an instructor who will teach you how to be a better Earth pony.
>Or at the very least, how to harness your Earth pony mag-
>"Master, something is wrong!" .Golet shouts. "The water is strange!"
>Looking at the water, you can see what she means. Strange rippling patterns, creating wrinkles in the surface, lending the water an almost solid appearance. It's unusual and a tad frightening... but at the rate you're falling, all you can do is brace for impact.

>You grab hold of each other, Shale holding you close as she can. The water gets closer and closer and then... you're on top of it. That landing was almost non-existent!
>"Scribe!" ,a voice calls out. "Scribe, so good to see you."
>At the edge of the pool, you see two figures; one with it's hooves in the water, wearing a bright orange dress, fluffy mane of black and coat of purple. The other, a white cloaked figure, waving at you frantically.
>"It's great, isn't? Rain here, she hardened the waters surface! You can totally walk on it. She's gonna be a great teacher, right?!"
>The black maned mare looks up at you, a sly grin on her face. Starswirl's marefriend is to be your teacher?!
>>
>>29628837
I'm very much looking forward to anything you'll teach me.
>>
Pausing here. I'm experiencing a bit of burnout and because I don't want my writing to deteriorate in quality over the next few days or you guys to keep it bumped, I would like you to let it die.
I'm going to be giving Broken Hearts some attention after I take a break, and AHP will return after that thread has run it's course.
I love you all so much and I can't thank you enough for tolerating my writing. Thank you, thank you so much for sticking through with me.
>>
>>29628858
>tolerating
Mora please, I love this quest
>>
>>29628858
Y-you too.
>>
>>29628837
Who is the other pony? Ask Rain all about how she can do that. How is a unicorn going to train us in earth pony magic?

I think we should ask the king for an extended leave so we can go live amongst other earth ponies for a time.
>>
>>29628837
...didn't expect you at all.
>>
>>29628858
Alright, Metamora, I admit I'd put up with just a BIT of story degradation to get more more more, fast, but take the time you need and I'll have an eye peeled for the next thread. Thanks as always for running!

>>29628900
If Tela thinks these ponies can train us, I'm quite sure they can. There's no place I'd rather be than here training concurrently with Starswirl under Tela's chosen trainers.
Thread posts: 294
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.