[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it bad to recolor or edit somebody's artwork?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 9

I've never done that and i wouldn't bother doing so but i'm wondering if it's wrong to do so or not.

For example, you have your own original character but you ain't got the time to draw or pay someone with talents, so you just download one of the artist's art and you either edit it or recolor them (changing the colors of the character).

So, is it wrong or is it perfectly fine as long as i don't claim the artwork as mine?
>>
>>29493928
I'm sure the artist wouldn't mind all that much. Just give them credit for the base artwork while making it clear you edited it.
>>
>>29493928
It's fine just credit the original work
>>
>>29493928

I did that for my avatar, I've always wanted to contact the original creator but I was never able to find him/her.
>>
No, unless you do it poorly (more than 1 (one) incorrect pixel) or pretend you did most of the art.
>>
File: Daring_Do_by_90Sigma.png (710KB, 3000x2172px) Image search: [Google]
Daring_Do_by_90Sigma.png
710KB, 3000x2172px
I think it's okay if it's your own character, but if it's someone else character i think that's bad.
>>
>>29493968
>Unless you pretend you did most of the art

Like i said, as long as i don't claim the artwork as mine.

Therefore, it's fine, i can credit the artist.
>>
>>29493990
I have my own original character, yes, it's made back in 2012 and i don't think i saw any arts that resembles my character.

So i'm okay.
>>
>>29493996
Maybe you should ask the artist first before you recolor his character.
>>
File: DELET.jpg (150KB, 1000x761px) Image search: [Google]
DELET.jpg
150KB, 1000x761px
>>29493928
>Be mememaster supreme, creator of image macros
>Editing poor artfags work daily to make meems withouth their consent
>Suddently this thread
M-muh job, DELET
>>
>>29494015
That's why you should always ask the artist first.
>>
>>29494007
Good point.
>>29494015
What.
>>
>>29494039
Maybe he is an angry drawfag who got his work recolored.
>>
>>29493928
Gee, I don't know, anon? It is bad to take someone else's hard work, scribble over it and present it as your own?

I mean, what are the chances that the artist would feel angry instead of feeling the "nonour" of being targeted by a parasite?
>>
File: 1468137450442.png (93KB, 228x250px) Image search: [Google]
1468137450442.png
93KB, 228x250px
>>29494066
Dubs tell the truth.
>>
>>29493928
>Is it bad to recolor or edit somebody's artwork?

It is bad to steal, Anon?
>>
>>29494066
Gee, is it hard to read what i said?

>"Is it wrong or is it perfectly fine as long as i don't claim the artwork as mine?"

You really think that i asked whether or not it's okay to take somebody's else artwork and modify it and later present it as mine?

I never did so and you know it.

>>29494128

Is it bad to read at the end?
>>
>>29494128
only if they catch you
>>
>>29494165
> It's bad to steal as long I don't claim that the shit i stole was mine?

Let me guess, you are a deviantart user and recently got in trouble for stealing so you are trying to fish for support and a rationalization?

Either learn to draw or learn basic social skills, dumbass.
>>
>>29494128
>Be huefag
>Corruption deeply ingrained into culture
Uhh...how about you make an easier question?
No one told me that there d be hard questions here...
Can i buy the answers that will be in the questionaire somewhere?
>>
>>29493928
>caring at all what the artists think
loling @ >>29494066 >>29494128
>>
>>29494182
Hey retard, if i wanted to edit or recolor an artwork, i don't upload it on social media or art sites.

Like >>29493965 said, i could use it for my profile picture.
>>
>>29494308
> Rationalizing theft

You know, I think you should see a shrink.
>>
File: Disaproving Celestia.jpg (37KB, 247x320px) Image search: [Google]
Disaproving Celestia.jpg
37KB, 247x320px
>>29494314
>>
>>29494337
>Antisocial personality disorder (ASPD), also known as dissocial personality disorder (DPD) and sociopathy, is a personality disorder, characterized by a pervasive pattern of disregard for, or violation of, the rights of others.
>>
>>29494314
>"theft"

You're unfunny faggot.
>>
>>29494357
At least I'm not a thief seeking ways to self validate what he does.
>>
File: 1466059779876.jpg (271KB, 800x1199px) Image search: [Google]
1466059779876.jpg
271KB, 800x1199px
itt: autists taking their hobby of drawing cartoon ponies way too seriously
>>
File: R3mbr4ndt Baby.jpg (147KB, 1068x670px) Image search: [Google]
R3mbr4ndt Baby.jpg
147KB, 1068x670px
>>29494341

Oh wow, here comes the arm chair psychologist thinking his the new Sigmund Freud by trying to fit everyone in hard lined definitions for doing loosely and grey-area actions.

Here's a kicker, Anon. If he was antisocial, why would he bother making a thread to ask if it was ok to recolor someone else's work, instead of going straight for the kill? Huh? Das right, mane.
>>
>>29494372
Because he wants self validation? One can imply he needs to steal because he lacks talent of his own, see?
>>
>>29494404

If he wanted self validation he would had posted the recolor work and claim it as his own, not ask for the moral judgement of others regarding an action he thought of doing, but considered the consequences of before hand and bother enough to make a thread about it.

Talent is bullshit too, so that's that.
>>
File: 1428189449608.jpg (24KB, 337x320px) Image search: [Google]
1428189449608.jpg
24KB, 337x320px
>ask permission to edit an artist's work
>either move on to the next artist if they tell you to fuck off, or credit them if they do approve
It's more of a courtesy thing thing anything, though. They probably couldn't be too upset when they assume it's just some 15 year old turbo-autist that's thoughtlessly messing with their work to craft their dumb OC without any talent of their own. If you're not profiting off it, the only thing they could reasonably demand is credit for the slight bump in exposure you might potentially provide.
>>
>>29494404
>>29494361
How am i stealing exactly? Explain, because when you keep saying that, it doesn't make you right.

>"I've never done that and i wouldn't bother doing so"

Oh and calling me a dumbass for asking a simple question is not an argument.
>>
>Questioning the morality of creating derivative works of content derivative of MLP.
Guess what, unless you think MLP PMV's and OC's are amoral, then you don't have any ground to stand on in this argument. Asking how much you have to draw on someone else's drawing until it's yours is a pretty retarded discussion to have to begin with, but being concerned with crediting ownership of fan content is where I just can't anymore.
>>
>>29494484
I'm calling you a subhuman dumbass for even needing to ask if taking someone else's shit w/o their permission is acceptable or not.

Normal human beings learn that shit during kindergarden.
>>
>>29493928
Just edit as you wish, credit them for common courtesy. The worst they can do is throw a fit and not allow you to host it on derpi.
Looking at you, CPM.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.