[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people like Season one? (in comparison to the later seasons)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: mlfw710_130338963460.png (159KB, 415x374px) Image search: [Google]
mlfw710_130338963460.png
159KB, 415x374px
Why do people like Season one? (in comparison to the later seasons)
>>
>>29484739
They don't
It's actually accept to be objectively the shittiest season of all and it's a meme to say otherwise
>>
>>29484739
Think it's because it gave the truest glimpse of what Faust wanted the show to be like. To me it's the season that's most like a children's show (common childhood friendship problems, Pinkie constantly singing little ditties, characters stating the moral at the end, usually to a mother figure). It's whimsical, simpler, and more laid-back compared to later seasons.

Season 2 was sort of like Season 1, at least until about A Friend in Deed. Then the tone started to shift and underwent a self-aware warp with Too Many Pinkie Pies.
>>
muh nostalgia
>>
>>29485001
>To me it's the season that's most like a children's show
Literally this
>>
>>29484739
(you)
>>
>>29484739
S1 had a bunch of weak episodes, but it had one amazing thing that got lost in the later seasons. We were being shown a new world from Twilight's sarcastic perspective, and that world was nearly as strange to her as it was to us.

That was a great hook for the show. It was the angle that sucked me into what was obviously a show for little girls.
>>
>>29484739

I like season one for its slower paced episodes.
>>
>>29485001

People liked how the show was simpler? I thought the entire reason people liked it was because it didn't skimp on complexity.

Its hard not to boil Too Many Pinkie Pies into "the episode where character clones themselves", but its the little things inbetween like the scene where the fake pinkies get the Mane sixe's names wrong make it great.

>>29485027

If anything, i feel like the world got even stranger when we see episodes like Tanks for the Memories where we see a behind the scenes look at how clouds are made and the like.

I hope season 7 has even more episodes like this where the world is expanded upon. I really enjoyed the episodes where we see places like Griffonstone. I enjoyed (most of) Slice of Life for the same reason. It expanded upon what other characters were thinking/doing when the Mane six weren't around.
>>
>>29485058
Worldbuilding has always been part of the show's allure. But seeing this world for the first time through Bookhorse's eyes, and getting her reactions to how crazy the thought it and the characters who inhabited it were was great. She was not just the main character much of the time, but also our narrator, explaining what the fuck was going on and then wrapping it all up in a letter to the Princess at the end. It was a cute format.

After that we got a season and a half of her just being one of the gals and the BOOM - alicorn princess. I miss S1 Twi.
>>
>>29485163

It was great, but they had to switch it up because it would get boring pretty quickly if they didn't. I kinda wish they kept the writing in the journal aspect a bit longer, its not like they couldn't do it again. They don't even need a relevant plot device for it.
>>
>>29485191
I agree it was unsustainable, but it was what set S1 apart from the other seasons. It was a particular charm only S1 had.
>>
>>29484739
Original idea. It was why the fandom started at all.
>>
>>29484739
It's sorta like why people only like the first 3-4 seasons of SpongeBob; they had Hullenburg's vision, and without it, they resorted to less clever dialogue and more mean/gross moments. Though Friendship is Magic hasn't hit the low of SpongeBob, Family Guy, The Fairly OddParents or even The Simpsons, it's still a serious problem because we don't know how "the modern seasons" will look in retrospect, in like 10-20 years.
>>
>>29484739
Because it is something you can relax to, without using your brain much and just enjoy it.
>>
>>29485413

I'd say FiM's dialogue has gotten more clever in the later seasons. Episodes like Maud Pie and The Cutie Map 1&2 have some great dialogue.

I also imagine G4 will turn into a G4.5 type deal when the 2017 movie comes out. I doubt they would change the art style like they did in the movie but not the actual show. Maybe they'll make a "spinoff" show with Starlight.
>>
>>29484739
magical
>>
>>29485476
>I'd say FiM's dialogue has gotten more clever in the later seasons.

i'd agree wholeheartedly; the comedic timing is much-improved, particularly late. so are a lot of the 'eye candy' things, like the backdrops are freaking nuts gorgeous now.

>>29485027

i love this answer. early twilight was snarkier and even a grump. pissed twiggy is cutest twiggy.
>>
>>29485503
>pissed twiggy is cutest twiggy
you got that right
>>
File: 1428367557961.png (15KB, 500x589px) Image search: [Google]
1428367557961.png
15KB, 500x589px
>>29484739
They think that Faust single-handedly made MLP amazing, and that all of her ideas are automatically great. Instead of it being, you know, a major collaborative process.
>>
>>29484739
most of them havenĀ“t seen the other seasons
they hang around here anyways
>>
File: arturo.jpg (55KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
arturo.jpg
55KB, 500x500px
1) the ponies moved and behaved like ponies
now they move and behave like humans, cats, dogs, and so on
2) the relationships were a lot more organic and natural
now they're cookie-cutter templates interacting in cookie-cutter-template ways
3) the writing was more high-brow even as it was targeted at kids (you can use a writing-level assessment tool to verify this)
now the writing is full of *winks* to bronies but the writing level itself is lower
4) more original poses and animation cycles
new seasons, despite having more drawings, have less original posing
5) more creative ideas
new seasons obviously have MORE ideas, but they're all recycled variations
6) clearer direction - Twilight is destined to succeed Sun and Moon
now it's "everyone's a princess!" and no real direction
7) more experienced and creative crew in general that simply left after the first/second season
>>
>>29484739
Because it was quiet and happy. Pretty simple.
>>
>>29485001
>To me it's the season that's most like a children's show
This is the exact reason why I dislike season one.
>>
>>29484739
It had Bridle Gossip and just a whole boatload of amazing knockout episodes in a row. It was clever, but subtly; the animations and art styles especially of the faces (smiles in particular!) were a bit more subdued and I find them to be a lot more pleasant. That said, I look at Season 2 as the absolute peak of the show. Season 1 is next best though.
>>
>>29487627
>>29485010
>>29485001
>There are people seriously believing that MLP:FiM is not a children's show.
>>
>>29487833
Fuck off, Jim
>>
>>29484739
SoL nostalgiafags who don't like change.
>>
I like it because it's simple. Granted, that's not sustainable, but that's why I like it.
>>
>>29487838
I was trying to imply that it's a good children's show, something kids and their parents can enjoy together.
I thought the show's charm was it's aimed mainly towards kids about 3~8 years old but written descent enough for their parents watching the show with them can relate to what the characters confront and think.
For me S1 is the favorite season because it set the standards and format of the episodes by it's episodes and simultaneously set up the world of Equestria nobody knew before.
Oh yeah, and S1 totally handled merchandising way better than Big Jim's Sshit.
>>
>>29484739
It had this incredible charm about being a completely different world where everything (houses, furniture, dressing style, etc) was pony-oriented and with the added charm of being a mythical place full of monsters, where the rulers moved the sun and moon and the ponies themselves could change the seasons at will.
On top of that it wasn't just a pony world, but it was also a pony world from the PAST. Add that the clever writing, immersing music and great character dymanics and you had a show made for little girls but that could be watched by adults as well.

From season 03 onwards the world became more humanesque and less ponyesqued as it began to be filled with modern world stuff like modern police and moder militar uniforms, modern things like 21th century billboards, telephones, modern music players, motorized cars, modern world clothing and my personal dealbreaker: pony hairdos stopped being manes and simply became human heads of hair applies to a pony.

I will not be surprised if season 07 introduces television and internet.
>>
>>29487942
>I will not be surprised if season 07 introduces television and internet.

The comic already introduced televison.
>>
>>29487538

I'm gonna take the bait and ask for literally any examples. Especially on #4 because in reality its literally the opposite.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.