[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Rarity's magic so useless?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9

File: 479570.gif (2MB, 693x463px) Image search: [Google]
479570.gif
2MB, 693x463px
She can't even use her telekinesis to defend herself or others, let alone offensively. She might as well be a dirty Earth Pony. A true unicorn would've made short work of a few diamond dogs. She can't teleport herself. How embarrassing.
>>
>>29394441
because it's not her talent, gem-finding and fashion is
>>
>>29394446
That's a terrible argument, neither is Pinkie's, Rainbow Dash's or Applejack's but they can all handle themselves
>>
>>29394441
She's never had to learn or work to learn defensive or combat magic. Most unicorns don't. Its like asking why most people in real life don't know Martial arts.

That being said, give her some magical skill and she can freaking floor people, like when she was radiance, or her EQG self.
>>
>>29394441
It's like people and brains. Everybody has a brain, but not everybody is able to use it.
>>
File: Dog feast.png (844KB, 1280x1019px) Image search: [Google]
Dog feast.png
844KB, 1280x1019px
What if Diamond dogs resist magic because of the gems lined on their jackets? she was drawn to Rover's collar-gem in the tree as if it was special or above the rest, do they absorb magic or maybe repel it?

What if they resist magic by being earth-creatures like how Dwarves, Troggs or sometimes Orcs in fantasy resist magic by being so grounded and connected to nature?

What if it's a combination of the two making them really tough versus magic? is this why Twilight doesn't do shit to them
>>
>>29394520
>is this why Twilight doesn't do shit to them
No, she doesn't do shit because its S1 and they weren't allowed to fight back then. Look at how pathetic Nightmare moon's attempts to get rid of the mane six are (Scare them away and that's it) compared to her in S4 trying to murder celestia from the getgo.

Also, any mage who can't get around magic resistance doesn't deserve to be called a mage. This is Magic 101 stuff, if you can't blast them directly with magic, Pick up a rock with your magic and use it as a cannonball.
>>
>>29394564
>Look at how pathetic Nightmare moon's attempts to get rid of the mane six are

I just realized how beyond the 'diamonds are a girls and dog's best friend'' line she doesn't criticize the use of gems or their shitty poorly made jackets,

While a modern d-dog episode might show some violence or an actual fight, modern Rarity would have nothing but snarky fashion quips since she's written so poorly these days.

So while the show has evolved in some ways, it's gotten worse in others, and yeah Rarity's magic a shit
>>
>>29394441
because magic is useless to everyone except for twilight and poochie twilight. Not even Trixie has her magic anymore.
>>
She's levitated sewing tools, clothes and mannequins, surely some of her skill with that can be transferred over.
>>
>>29394441
>OP can't play piano, can't filet a fish, and paint on a canvas
Why are OP's hands so useless?
>>
File: francis.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
francis.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>29394661
how the hell do you know that?
>>
>>29394661
I play the flute actually. Pianos are overrated.
>>
>>29394520
>resist magic by being grounded in nature
post-Tolkien fantasy was a mistake.
post-antiquity mythology was a mistake
>>
>>29394619
>and yeah Rarity's magic a shit
Hey, they gave EQG rarity super magic, maybe they'll do something like that for Pony rarity.

>>29394646
And sunset when she was a pony.
>>
>>29394441
she is a lowborn unicorn that's why.
>>
>>29394682
>Flute.
Do you also suck dicks, nerd?
>>
>>29394441
She wasn't trained like Twilight, or taught herself like Starlight because she didn't need to.
Think about it, Celestia probably trained Twiggs several combat spells because she knew her student was destined to need them.
Starlight, well, that's a little more obvious.
Celestia probably puts her students through the same kind of course, like plops them in a military school kind of thing.
Rarity, just needed her magic to thread needles.
>>
File: Unknown-5.jpg (9KB, 253x199px) Image search: [Google]
Unknown-5.jpg
9KB, 253x199px
I want Rarity to use her magic to forcibly strip me completely naked. I want her to make fun of my body and tell me nothing she could ever design could make my ugly nakedness go away or make me pretty. I want her to kick me in the stomach with her back hooves and tell me that it was my fault that she had to do it. I want her to spit on my penis and use her magic to whack it with a broom. I want her to hit me over the head with a chair and tell me that I am an ugly naked beast and that no one will ever love me. I want her to create a cigarette, light it, then put it out on my nipples.
>>
>>29394441
Your view of magic is skewed by the fact that the only other ponies we see work with magic are all high level mages. Most unicorns only know basic levitation and spells that are relevant to their cutie mark. Gem finding in Rarity's case.
She is actually quite skilled with telekinesis if you consider Suited for Success. I'm sure she could fuck someone up in a 1v1 situation. In A Dog and Pony Show she didn't use magic because she was vastly outnumbered, and also lost in the caves. Going rogue and trying to run could only make the situation worse.
The first season seemed kinda promising in the regard of exploring magic and how exactly it works, but it seems the show decided to drop it and just do whatever.
And also, Rarity would be able to smash you even without magic. She's a skilled fighter who's not afraid to go hoof to hoof when the odds are more in her favor.
>>
>>29394441
>>29394446
>>29396803
it's not her talent
>gold-digging and fashion
kek

>>29396803
ywn be in an abusive relationship with any of the m6
>>
>>29394441

I wish we could get a "Twilight teaches Rarity magic" episode similar to the "Rainbow Dash teaches Twilight/Fluttershy to fly" episodes.
>>
>>29396833
>She's a skilled fighter who's not afraid to go hoof to hoof when the odds are more in her favor.
This.
She kicked a Manticore in the goddamn face.
>>
>Rarity is shallow, vapid and useless
wow who would've thought
>>
>>29396859
Twilight is teaching Sweetie magic.
A warrior is being molded.
>>
>>29394441
Because she is is the average unicorn. Twilight and Starset and the other Twi-clones are all Magic talent specific, where as the usual unicorn is very limited in magic beyond levitation.

>>29394473
The ponies you listed aren't unicorns. And basic rpg rules apply to Equestria, you wouldn't send a mage to tank. That's just stupid.
>>
>>29396859
I wish we could get just an episode that explains magic in common ponies in general.
A comfy Twilight and Rarity slice of life would be top too.
>>
>>29394441
>why is rarity's magic so useless?
it isn't, it does exactly what it is intended for, telekinesis and gem finding.
>why are you so useless with a knife?
you're not, you just don't use it to fight, instead you use it to cook.

if you judge a fish's ability to climb a tree, it will believe itself to be stupid,
>>
>>29394441
>why is Rarity's magic so useless?
it's not, it does exactly what it's intended for. Telekinesis and gem finding.
>>
>>29394441
it isn't, because her cutie mark.
she may not be as powerful overall, but she may be better in her field of specialization.
she can use it to make multiple dresses at the same time with precision.

ponies are specialized by their cutie marks. they are great at magic related to their talent, but not good for much else.
>>
>>29394441
it's not her fault, she just got railroaded into being shit at magic for the rest of her life by her cutie mark
>>
>>29396863
>what people who get friendzoned by rich girls, and won't let it go tell themselves
>>
>>29394441
Her magic is extremely precice. Shards of gems through eyes, pinched veins, severed brain stems, ect. She isn't useless, she chooses to fight in such a way as to avoid killing anypony
>>
File: rarity puts em up.gif (2MB, 488x320px) Image search: [Google]
rarity puts em up.gif
2MB, 488x320px
>>29396833
>>29396860
>>
>>29394619
> modern Rarity would have nothing but snarky fashion quips since she's written so poorly these days.
You say that but Rarity is consistently said to at least be the most well written of the Mane 6, which isn't quite a good thing because it's really because of how poorly the others are treated.
>>
>>29394441
Because she is a low level and finesse. Use her signature spell introduced in that episode, gem finding.

>Rarity
uses it like a metal detector, only sees what is directly under her
>Twilight
Uses it (after being shown it once) as a radar to navigate the caves. sees everything in her line of sight.

>Rarity IS the average unicorn.
>Trixie/Moondancer are the average Magic talented unicorn
>UTwilight/Starlight/Sunset were the top 1%
>>
>>29397410
She doesn't fuck around. Repressed anger issues?
>>
>>29396776
H-how did you know?!! It was only once. Okay twice, but I couldn't help myself okay, I was a teenager constantly assaulted by potent hormones and testosterone making me so horny that inanimate objects were starting to look really attractive.
>>
>>29397083
Rarity isn't rich.
>>
>>29399815
she owns three franchises, She may not be Twilight Rich but she is making bank.
>>
>>29394441
Rarity just comes off as a regular unicorn, like all the other unicorns you see on the show, like Carrot Bun. You're thinking of the "School for Gifted Unicorns" students when you talk about all the teleportation and defensive/offensive stuff. You really think Twilight and Starlight are examples of typical unicorns?
>>
>>29399900
Since they are seen the most they must be the baseline
>>
>>29394441
Lol..so you think that all the unicorn can teleport and uses attack or difensive spells? Need stusy to learn this and only the most talented masteresd this.

Rarity is a regular unicorn and use regular spells, plus spells that she learned for her work.
>>
>>29399938
>masteresd
>>
>>29399412
she always tries to act high class and lady like. probably secretly relishes the chance to cut loose whenever she has an excuse.
>>
>>29394441
Rarity is a whore, that's why
>>
>>29394441
Teleportation is an advanced. She only uses her magic to please stallions for bits.
>>
I was a bit confused when Rarity used horn blasts in her non-lucid dreams, but I think being close friends with one of the most powerful and knowledgeable ponies in the country means it isn't a stretch that she could pick up a few new tricks over the years.

Heck, Magic Duel made it seem like manipulating multiple objects at once with TK is some major feat for Twilight, and Rarity's been doing that since season 1. She's already got some exceptional magic skills in certain areas.
>>
File: 1409267206091.jpg (12KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1409267206091.jpg
12KB, 400x400px
>>29394441

This>>29400007

I think the tiers are set up with Rarity not being very strong in magic, but her job requires a lot of manipulation so she can move a ton of objects at once easily.

Unicorn Twilight was someone who was strong, but wasn't all there yet. You see her practicing all the time and even messing up every now and then.

Starlight is someone who is strong, and has perfected their craft. She is more powerful, creative, and knowledgeable about magic than Alicorn Twi. Self-flight, time manipulation the beats the shit out of Starswirl's spell, ripping off cutie marks when Twilight couldn't even make a fake one for Applebloom.

Trixie is on the completely opposite end. She is magically weak and doesn't really know how to use it. All she has done is fireworks, making Rarity's hair green, and spinning Rainbow around really fast. Her best magic trick hinged on a better unicorn knowing how to teleport her. Most of her show relies on props rather than magic.

And with the season opener power levels are a thing since Sunburst knew a ton about magic, but was damn near magically dead. So I think the school is for educational purposes. More Harvard than Hogwarts.
>>
>>29397165
This. Twilight couldn't sew but move hundreds of apples at the same time.
Twilight is a brute in regards etherical, Rarity is a surgeon.
>>
Twilight, Starlight, Sunset
Moondancer, Trixie
Rarity
Other unicorns
>>
>>29399815
>not rich
>owns 3 buildings outright
>makes a decent living of making dresses

>>29399973
nice b8, try harder friend
>>
>>29403014
We know for sure that the Manehattan Bane boutique is not hers, she's just paying rent, and I'd assume she didn't actually buy the property for Canterlot Carousel as well. She's rich just from running those, but not that rich to own two houses in the centres of the biggest cities in Equestria.
>>
>>29400007
I think that was due to being in a dream world. They could do a ton of shit in the dreamworld that they didn't in real life.

For example, dash gets her ass kicked everytime she gets in a fight in show, but she's basically a prescient bruce lee in her dream.
>>
>>29394441
DYEWTS?
>>
>>29394441
How many different types of magic are there?
Levitation, magic bolt, teleportation, time travel; am I missing something?
>>
>>29396797
>Celestia probably puts her students through the same kind of course, like plops them in a military school kind of thing.
She does. Twilight has studied in three schools, and we can infer a lot from this:
>Magic Kindergarten
Probably a place every unicorn goes to, comparable to junior flight camp for pegasi.
>Celestia's school for gifted unicorns
A place where the best of the best unicorns study. Trixie studied here, so we have a good baseline for what a truly gifted unicorn is like - something between Twilight and Trixie in talent.
>Celestia's personal student
When even the school for gifted unicorns became too easy for her. Where she learned most of what she knows.
>>
>>29403824

Transformation, conjuration, illusion. Luna especially is a master of these types of spells, along with the raw magic bolt.
Detection/scrying, Rarity's gem-detection spell falls under this category.
Mind control. Want-it Need-it falls somewhere between this category and illusion spells, while Starlight has a knack (or personal preference) for mind control spells.

Probably a few more.
And that's just unicorn magic.

Pegasus magic lets you fly faster than wings alone would let you.
Conjure magical wind, storms, tornadoes and lightning bolts.
Simple transformation spells regarding the shape and nature of clouds and the sky.
If you're really magical, pegasus magic can be used to release a raw burst of energy (likely similar to a unicorn's magic bolt, but less focused and far less controlled, sending ripples across the fabric of all of Equestria). Sonic Rainboom and Dash's Rainnuke for example.

Earth pony magic is the most unexplored of the mainstream ones, it's so subtle that when it does happen it's often hard to detect.
It lets you grow plants in mere seconds, Applejack does so 3 times.
It's probably earth pony magic which lets them dig fast and crush boulders with their hooves, but it's harder to tell than with pegasi, it could be something non-magical all ponies can do if they put their mind and strength to it.
Pinkie Pie is either Pinkie Pie or a good Earth pony mage. She's an anomaly that's never explained, so we really don't know.

Alicorn magic/dark magic, which does fuck knows what. It seems to have a closer tie to time magic than regular unicorn magic, I guess.

Chaos magic, which is like unicorn magic but with less rules.

Zebra magic, which can refill a spilled cup.

Alchemy, which is the art of transmutation and perfection of matter, the mind and soul.
Can create magical elixirs and panaceas, most of which puts other types of magic to shame.
Can PROBABLY extend one's lifespan, Zecora is far too wise and well-read for her apparent age.
>>
>>29403960

Changeling magic.
Specialized in transformation spells, with hints of both unicorn magic and pegasus magic thrown in (living airstrikes in Canterlot Wedding for example).

Magic of friendship/love.
Capable of almost any feat it seems, but requires a focus to be useful. Like the crystal heart or the Elements of Harmony, or Cadance focusing her magic into Shining Armor to empower the shield spell.

Foci, or Relics as they're known in-universe, are themselves probably another type of magic. Aside from Luna's living magic which can feed itself and thus grow indefinitely (Tantibus), is the only type of magic with potential permanence. Even friendship magic doesn't last forever, Discord, Sombra and NMM all escaped after 1000 years.
Crystal Heart, which channels love and protects the Crystal Empire from the Frozen North. Over generations it possibly turned earth ponies into crystal ponies, but that's just speculation.
Elements of Harmony, weapons of harmony that can be used to restore the balance between order and chaos. It seems the elements themselves are arbiters of what constitutes balance, as Luna couldn't use them against Celestia, but Celestia could wield them alone against Luna by severing her link with them in the process.
Alicorn Amulet, focuses unicorn magic, but unlike the EoH is highly corrupting in it's influence.
The "Inspiration Manifesto", behaves very similarly to the alicorn amulet but comes in the form of a book rather than an amulet. "Hold close this book and through its spell, you'll start a chain reaction."
>>
>>29403960
>>29403989
Well, this is highly interesting.
>>
File: dragon magic.jpg (140KB, 641x1089px) Image search: [Google]
dragon magic.jpg
140KB, 641x1089px
>>29403989

Dragon magic also, I guess.
Pic related could be a visual gag and nothing more, but there's Spike's breath, and the dragon scepter qualifies as a relic.
>>
>>29394473
They aren't posh dames.
>>
>>29394682
Piano is considered very complicated. Flutes are nice but aren't as regarded.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.