[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dwarf Fortress Pony Mod

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: df-20170108-170156.png (49KB, 958x591px) Image search: [Google]
df-20170108-170156.png
49KB, 958x591px
Anyone interested in trying out a new pony mod for Dwarf Fortress?

Download + installation instructions: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12646

This mod adds a playable pony civilization to the game. Ponies come in four varieties, each with different strengths (earth pony: farming and nature; pegasi: fighting and metalworking; unicorns: mining and crafting; alicorns: everything). The intended playing style is to build your "fortress" as an above-ground town (think Ponyville), and avoid killing animals or fish for resources (so don't use meat, bone, shell, or leather).

If you like DF, try it out and tell me if you have suggestions or run into any kind of problems.
>>
>>29227971
>tell me if you have suggestions
make a pony mod for rimworld instead.
>>
>>29227977
Could be cool, but it seems like a lot more work. You'd need graphics for the ponies, plus looking at the Rimworld wiki, it doesn't seem to have as good modding capabilities as DF, or if it does they aren't documented as well.
>>
File: Sacrificial Fortress.jpg (389KB, 1246x741px) Image search: [Google]
Sacrificial Fortress.jpg
389KB, 1246x741px
Hey I found this thread down on page 10!
Thought it was great, so lets see it again!
It ain't goin' nowhere so grab a snack
'cause this so dead thread is gonna bump right back!!!!!!!!!!!1
>>
>>29227971
Have you played with the My Little Fortress: Friendship is Magma mod? It's been around for years now.

Also, what's the difference?

I'm planning to get back to DF, I just need to gather some autism energy for start.
>>
>>29229730
The only up-to-date version of My Little Fortress adds not only ponies, but also anthro ponies, cave ponies, mutant ponies, Diomedian (carnivore) ponies, pony chimeras, and Rainbow Factory (crafting rainbow items from dead pony parts). It also includes most of the content from the author's other mod, which is about two dozen new metals, a pile of new workshops and crafting types, loads of new creatures, and so on.

I didn't want any of that stuff, I just wanted cute ponies building a cute town and trying not to get killed by goblins, so I extracted the pony creature and entity definitions from My Little Fortress, then started tweaking things to bring them more in line with MLP canon.
>>
>>29228277
its currently in prelaunch alpha, so ya. pretty much all you would need is pony images and some custom text though.
>>
File: 1375293709254.png (473KB, 1000x1700px) Image search: [Google]
1375293709254.png
473KB, 1000x1700px
Has anyone made a pony tileset yet? I'm the type of filthy plebian who can't play without a tileset.
>>
I literally asked if there was a df mod for ponies like a month ago, this is exactly what I was looking for.
>>
>>29230943
Doesn't look like it, but if you find or draw a good 16x16 pixel pony sprite, I could add it. You could also install a tileset to handle all the items and non-pony creatures, leaving only ponies displayed as letters.
>>
>>29227971
>Dwarf Fortress Pony Mod
Oooooooh.
>>
>>29227971
What are the culturl paramters?
Pdgsi as humans, unicorns as elves, and earthens as dwarves?
>>
>>29227971
Is there possible to separate the races into different civilizations? And perhaps some mechanism to start "assimilating" foreign pone and other races into your planned equestrian central empire?
>>
>>29227971
How does this work in adventure mode? Can I gore ponies with my horn?
>>
>>29233302
Nope, it's one new civ with earth/pega/uni/alicorn defined as different castes of the same creature. Also, this mod doesn't disable any of the existing civs, so you still have dwarves, humans, elves, goblins, and kobolds in the same world as your ponies.

Though, I do think it would be cool to extend this with more canon races, so eventually we could have a purely Equestrian world. I was thinking something like this:
> ponies and gryphons replace dwarves and humans
> zebras replace elves
> changelings (pre-S6) replace goblins
> diamond dogs replace kobolds

>>29233828
It's definitely possible to separate them. I'm not sure what causes members of other species to join a civ, aside from the civ having [BABYSNATCHER].

>>29233863
I haven't tested it in adventure mode. But yes, unicorns have a "stab" attack in addition to the normal "kick", "buck", and "bite". I've never played adventure mode so I don't know if there's a way to select one attack over another. Unicorns also have an ability to "launch a spike of ice" at an enemy, but again, I don't know how you use it.
>>
File: Micro Lewd Pinkie.gif (869B, 16x16px) Image search: [Google]
Micro Lewd Pinkie.gif
869B, 16x16px
>>29231712
I don't play DF but I've had prior experience with making small sprites for fun, even contributed some to Space Station 13. If you post a list of what you need here or a link to a pastebin or something I will make some for this mod. 16x16 right?
>>
>>29233931
The changelings could be one race but have modifiers to alter their states. They are feral and aggressive pre-evolution and will try and infiltrate your fort by assuming the form of a wild animal, by coming in on a caravan or by disguising as a resource your ponies drag back to base. After their timed disguise expires they turn back into their true form and attempt to kidnap ponies or destroy any mechanical devices or valuables. Their post-evolution form could be switched on after they are shown love or something, I dunno. Maybe if they are kept near a pony who is happy for long enough they will be happy too and evolve. And their evolved forms will defend against and help convert other evil changelings.
>>
>>29227977
DF has 10 times the features with twice the ease of use.
>>
DF is too hard. I can't do anything.
>>
>>29234289
Damn ants.
>>
>>29234662
Old-school games tend to be more difficult. Try looking up some guides.
>>
>>29234289
Cool, that would be great.

General constraints:
> 16x16 pixels
> only one frame (no animation)
> only one pose/direction (the game renders the same sprite no matter which way the character is moving)
> no need for separate mare/stallion sprites (game uses the same image for both)

The #1 thing that's needed right now is a 16x16 grayscale earth pony sprite. Then, depending on how much time you're willing to spend and what you feel like working on, there's a few different ways to improve the set:

> Add pegasus / unicorn / alicorn variants
> Make sprites for possible future non-pony species: gryphons, zebras, changelings, diamond dogs
> Make variants of the sprite(s) based on the 16 colors in this table: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Color#Color_values
> Make baby and child variants (one of each; no need for grayscale or 16-color variants on these)

Regarding colors: The game uses the 16 colors in that table to color-code different professions. If you stick to grayscale sprites only, the game will recolor them automatically using those colors. But if you want to manually create a variant for each color, you can choose whatever mane/coat colors you like, as long as it's somewhat recognizable and can be distinguished from the other colors.

The color-coding is most important for playable races (meaning ponies), but it can be applied to the non-pony species as well. If you want to make color-coded gryphons and such, I'll be happy to use them, but if you only want to do one variant for those, I can disable color-coding for those species so you can draw them in full color.

The baby and child variants are only needed for playable species. And since babies and children don't have professions, there's no color coding - you can draw just one sprite in full color for those.
>>
>>29234812
Alright, cool. That sounds doable. Now as far as terrain and objects go what would you need? Grass, dirt, stone, marble, barrels, statues, bloodstains, cobwebs, tools, food? I don't play DF so I don't know what's in there. I'll try to sprite everything within the artstyle of the show if I can.

And regarding the occupations, greyscale is no issue, but I could probably (eventually) try something along the lines of how FF Tactics did their classes, where the same androgynous character just put on different clothes.

Also, do you have a disposable email or would you prefer me to simply dump images on here like once a week? And one last thing - am I saving these all to a single sprite sheet like Stone Soup uses or shall I keep them individual 16x16s?
>>
>>29234903
There are already graphics packs for the non-modded stuff.
>>
>>29234903
>Now as far as terrain and objects go what would you need?
There are plenty of existing DF tilesets, so there's no need to make another one from scratch (I mean, unless you really want to...)

>I'll try to sprite everything within the artstyle of the show if I can.
Actually, it's probably better to try and make it fit with some of the popular existing graphics sets. Example screenshots:
Mayday: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/images/6/61/Zscrn-mayday.jpg
Phoebus: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/images/5/54/Zscrn-phoebus.jpg
I don't think it really matters which one you pick, both are pretty popular I think.

>do you have a disposable email
[email protected]

>am I saving these all to a single sprite sheet like Stone Soup uses or shall I keep them individual 16x16s?
They need to be in sheets eventually, but I can combine them myself if needed.
>>
Just wanted to point out that a 24*24 set does exist

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Graphics_set_repository
>>
>>29235053
True, and it's included in the starter pack so it must be at least somewhat popular.

>>29234903
Screenshot for the 24x24 set is here, if you'd rather do that than 16x16: http://i.imgur.com/3973J9K.png
>>
What jobs will the ponies have in the mod? If using the colors there's a lot that fall under one particular color scheme that would cause confusion if using one particular sprite for it. For example the broker, performers, alchemists and scholar job trees all have the same colors.
>>
>>29236195
If they're playable, it'd be the standard selection of jobs in that mode.
>>
>>29236195
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=143588.0
This looks like a very complete character tileset. I think there are optional ones in it to.
>>
>>29234603
its also twice as ugly
>>
I've been working on the tiles. I'm going to bed right now but will continue throughout tomorrow. I was thinking that even though the tiles are 24x24 it's still going to be hard to tell your pony's race at a glance. What if each pony race has a different body color so you can quickly tell what types are where? Also, are alicorns going to be treated the same as every other pony in that their ingame race is the same as all others or is their civilization going to be reserved for noble jobs exclusively?
>>
>>29236796
Sounds like they are able to be anything.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.