[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tentative pony rpg

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 10

File: index.png (3KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
index.png
3KB, 225x225px
No promises that il finish, but im making a pony game and would like some input. What should a mlp game have that will make it feel like an actual pony game, and not just a re-skin of some generic game?
im thinking
>only unicorns use magic
>only Pegasi (and high level unicorns) can fly
>dirt ponies strong
>choosing cutey mark chooses specialization of character
>mostly friendly npcs, little or no edgy shit
>fighting can be mostly averted with dialog / petting
>mostly canon creatures as enemies
>no memes
>npcs are canon background characters (bonbon, lyra, apple fritter, apple jack, ...maybe some fandom ocs that fit in well)
>ponies need to eat/sleep/socialize, only earth ponies can grow own food, other has to buy/find it
>building friendships will make them help you + get extra quests

What would you guys like in a pony rpg?
>>
>>29163780
>only unicorns use magic
All ponies have magic, unless you specifically mean the levitation and fireballs kind of wizardly magic

Pegasi have weather magic and cloud-walking and that kind of thing. Earth ponies can influence earth/dirt/stone and growing things.
>>
>>29163780
inb4 c&d
>>
>When you can't into proper capitalization or grammar whatsoever but you think you can make a fully-fledged game.
Sorry, bud. You can't write games with html.
>>
>>29163780
>What would you guys like in a pony rpg?
Completion. I've thought about this a million times, and the best way I can think about this getting done is doing an action game with light RPG mechanics. Make each class really distinct from the start, and forego a lot of the balance and nuance that goes into a lot of RPGs. Seriously. Completion of a mediocre pony game is six gorillian times better than incomplete anything.
>>
>>29163798
>proper capitalization or grammar
>in green text
wat
>>
File: FATAL-cover.jpg (32KB, 300x388px) Image search: [Google]
FATAL-cover.jpg
32KB, 300x388px
>>29163780
>What would you guys like in a pony rpg?
Anal circumference rolls
>>
>>29163789
so pegisi can use weather related magic like hailstorm and thundercloud, earth ponies can use druid type magic like growing thorns by scattering quick growing thorn seeds and control animals as companions, and unicorns get the traditional wizard magic.

>>29163793
Im not an idiot, im not going to parade around a half finished game in a way that can be traced back to me.

>>29163819
im thinking of making a base game thats pretty small, but can easily be expanded later, but in such a way that the base game is already a complete game.
>>
File: 1483069985618.png (567KB, 608x3248px) Image search: [Google]
1483069985618.png
567KB, 608x3248px
>>29163888
Should I add the ability to kidnap little fillies and keep then in your basement? this will be a hidden feature that you only unlock by doing some really evil things of course. I don't want it to be too edgy.

pic related is what id base it on.
>>
>>29163923
>that pic
Holy fucking shit
>>
>>29163906
>Im not an idiot, im not going to parade around a half finished game in a way that can be traced back to me.
You know what you can do? Parade around an obvious parody of MLP, then with the last update, change all the surface details
>>
>>29163923
what in the flying fuck did I just see.
>>
Got a quick question: what visual style are you doing? Vectors, 8-bit?
>>
File: popcorn.gif (197KB, 293x199px) Image search: [Google]
popcorn.gif
197KB, 293x199px
>>29163780
>take baldurs gate
>mix in undertale
>make most or all areas of known equestria accessible
>change classes and races as needed
>isometric story driven open world rpg
now fly.
>>
>>29163964
>>29163955
Just some guy on /sci/ working on a game.
>>
>>29163975
At the moment its isometric 8 bit with only 32x32 pixel sprites so that I can focus on the programming, but the renderer is completely decoupled from the actual logic and it can easily be changed later. I haven't decided on a final style yet. Ive already went through top down 128x128 pixel grid, rouge like ASCII style, completely 3D (with only rectangles as models for characters), and finally decided maybe I should focus on actually making the game instead of playing around with the visuals all the time.
>>
>>29163780
This actually sounds super interesting. I really hope you finish this.

I've wanted to make games like this for a while now, but I just don't know where to start. I can't really figure out everything I need to do in order to get the skills I'd need to make a game. It just seems like too daunting a task and I can never really find a place to get started.
>>
>>29164020
If you decide to do 8 bit graphics, I can provide music when it comes to that time
>>
>>29163780
>What should a mlp game have that will make it feel like an actual pony game
Slice of life.
>>
>>29164082
Or hugs and boops
>>
File: 1483002133343.png (106KB, 341x425px) Image search: [Google]
1483002133343.png
106KB, 341x425px
>>29164087
This is good too.
>>
>>29164082
Id say inside towns lots of slice of life things to do / have to be done, outside towns fighting.
>>
>>29163780
Above all, I want it to be small. I want it to be done. Look at Story of the Blanks for a reasonable scope of a game one person can do.
>>
File: smallbloom.jpg (9KB, 81x73px) Image search: [Google]
smallbloom.jpg
9KB, 81x73px
>>29164351
Holy shit, I remember this, i played it , must have been 5 years ago, I cant remember any details so im playing it again.

I like the graphics though, I dont think ill go with anything more complex that they did at the moment.
>>
>>29163780
it should have
>ability to marry ponies
>ability to impregnate ponies
>main 6 as NPCs
>player can be discord
>>
thanks for the input so far
>>
The idea of making your own OCs to play with as characters in the game is pretty cool. I love character customisation in general in these kinds of games- especially with the different pony races.

How about something ambitious- being able to design personality traits and such? Not a dev myself, don't know if this would work, but basically you'd get to add or improve traits on level up that change the way your characters talk and interact with others.
>>
>>29163798
>when you think you know what you're talking about but your really just a newfag
>>
An actual story, and yes. A romance mechanic.
>>
the problem with most games is greed. people want a thousand deep mechanics and thats too much for some fledgling programmer. youd need a whole crew. an experienced crew at that.

instead, think simpler. games like rimworld and factorio are pretty simple on the surface but really fun to play. keep it simple, then add ponies.
>>
What language anon?

>>29164082
>>29164351
>>29167048
These anons are all spot-on with their suggestions. Better to have a five-minute game than no game at all. Story of the Blanks is an excellent source of inspiration here, though the horror theme might not be what you're going for.

>>29163780
>>npcs are canon background characters (bonbon, lyra, apple fritter, apple jack, ...maybe some fandom ocs that fit in well)
>apple jack
triggered
>>
>>29163780
Earth ponies also get more hp/sta but unicorns could get passive quicker regen after x time
Pegasi should be glass cannons
>>
>>29163780
> Stealing Desktop Ponies pixel art and claiming it's yours

Well, that's your first problem, man.
>>
>>29163906
>Im not an idiot,

Seeing how you want to make a game using stolen material, I'll guess you ARE an idiot.
>>
File: stand_twilight_left.gif (12KB, 98x80px) Image search: [Google]
stand_twilight_left.gif
12KB, 98x80px
>>29163780
> Wants to make a game
> Uses stolen pixel art for his introduction

Go fuck yourself and your babby's first RPGMaker copypasta crap.
>>
>No memes
>>No memes
>>
>>29163780
Anon. Don't do this. Don't put creative effort into something that cannot legally make you money. If you have the talent then try to use it on your own IP. We believe in you.
>>
>>29163780
Put in some kind of child and autist filter so the game has a half-decent community
>>
>>29168370
>If you have the talent then try to use it on your own IP
>>29168100
>>29168111
>>29168192
>>
>>29163780
I'm scare.
>>
>>29168428
Stop samefagging already, if he's not good at art there's nothing wrong with borrowing someone else's assets, as long as they're fine with it and credited
>>
>>29170130
> "borrowing"

Nice try, OP. But you literally waddled in here bragging about a game that do not exist, and in fact might never exist at all, using a frame of a pixel animation that was not made by you, and that was NOT credited at all.

So you can take your self entitled ass and shove it.
In your ass.
>>
>>29170156
While I do disagree with presenting unfinished work, he was just shooting out ideas and asking for features that other people might enjoy seeing in a pony RPG. No need to be so bloody offensive.

Besides, he never said he *was* going to use those sprites.
>>
>>29163923
Most excellent. Did he ever release?

The game, I mean.
>>
>>29168111
>stolen material
>you wouldn't download a car
>>
Honestly, OP never said the art is his or that he's presenting his work. Was just shooting out ideas as I understood, tho he worded it kinda odd I guess.

>>29163780
Would leave magic to unicorns, the other races "magic" isn't really canonically something that I see being useful in a game like this. Mudhorses obiviously being better at farming and shit. Would have qt mark be something that you get a bit in the game after the game and it being based on what you've done earlier. Say, you do a lot of strength stuff, you get a strength mark that also makes you stronger.

All in all, good luck. Would play, tho I kinda have to doubt this wil happen.
>>
File: download.jpg (257KB, 783x771px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
257KB, 783x771px
>>29170216
>>29170246
>>29170246

>Honestly, OP never said the art is his or that he's presenting his work.

He never said it wasn't his own either. And he would've kept the lie if weren't because he was caught.

He completely fucked up his first impression. So he can go get himself raped by niggers on crack as far I'm concerned.
>>
File: pixelvixen.jpg (9KB, 33x37px) Image search: [Google]
pixelvixen.jpg
9KB, 33x37px
Just woke up

>>29167032
romance is hard (especially for a virgin like me), it seems games that try to implement it either end up with
>give flowers till love meter hits 80
>marry
>now living together but nothing changed
or
>go through 20 dialog choices
>ecchi scene

>>29167048
Im actually playing factorio now for some ideas for a crafting system, I like the simple rules that lead to complex gameplay you get from games like this. maybe add the ability to build an industrialized farm like in that time travel episode.

>>29167097
C#/monogame. I know its not the best, but I have experience writing games in it from back when though Unity was good

>>29168100
>>29168111
>>29168192
>>29170156
My current programmer art wouldn't make a very good OP, pic related.

>>29168370
I dont have any motivation for anything not pony related, I even have a mlp toothbrush just to get me to brush my teeth every day or two

>>29170208
its still in progress, but he releases it every now and then, you can find the newest one on his thread on /agdg/ on 8-chan.

>>29170246
>tho I kinda have to doubt this wil happen
dont worry, me too.
>>
>>29170695
Will you continue using stolen artwork?

Remember, "Buh-but I GIVE CREDIT!" is not an excuse to grab someone else's stuff and then run in circles flapping your arms while you scream "I made this!"
>>
>>29170726
"Giving credit" is literally the opposite of saying "I made this"
>>
>>29171459
I don't know where you came from, but "I give credit" is not the same as "I got permission from the real creators"

OP just fucked up his first impression, and outed himself as a talentless hack desperately looking for free attention. Honestly, he should just delete this thread and crawl back to whatever hole he came from.

Trying to rationalize how he stole and recolored other people's work under the excuse that "my current programmer art wouldn't make a very good OP pic" is just bullshit.
>>
>>29171566
ok
>>
>>29171566
>"I give credit" is not the same as "I got permission from the real creators"
In this case, actually, it pretty much is

>OP just fucked up his first impression
Agreed, but the artwork isn't the main issue. If he had shown up with a prototype of a game for people to play, nobody would be complaining about the attribution of the artwork. He also could have made "generic pone vidya idea thread #7320" instead of "ideas for MY game, that I might make", then the focus of the thread would be more on the ideas and less on the OP himself, and he would come across as less of an attention whore.
>>
File: cc.png (15KB, 395x175px) Image search: [Google]
cc.png
15KB, 395x175px
>>29172003
Forgot pic
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.