[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Discussion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

Is it possible to remove or otherwise shatter a unicorn's horn?

Keep in mind, we've already seen instances of a horn being damaged or disabled. For instance, Twilight's horn was disabled by poison joke, Celestia's horn being charred after being attacked by Chrysalis, and Shining's horn being disabled by Sombra, etc. However, I'm wondering if this set a precedent for the outright destruction or removal of a unicorn's horn.
>>
As a sidebar, what would be the effects of horn removal?
>>
>>28919593
horns grow back better, faster, stronger.
>>
>>28919593
Wasn't there a pony with a broken horn in the hospital of Where the Apple lies?
>>
Partial horn damage can grow back, though it won't be as sensitive as it used to be.

Full horn removal? Depends on whether the horn is part of the PNS or the CNS.

>you are now aware that CNS-Anon though he was a unicorn and was actually talking about them removing his horn
>>
>>28919623
Aight. Let's go scalp some unicorns then.
>>
>>28919622
It's bandaged, possibly broken. Hard to tell.
>>
>>28919659
Its either a microhorn or its damaged
>>
File: horn sawing.jpg (87KB, 634x422px) Image search: [Google]
horn sawing.jpg
87KB, 634x422px
>>28919593
>>
>>28919593
Aren't horns basically hair? they probably function similarly to horns and antlers from other animals.
>>
>>28919659
That's sad
>>
>>28919593
What magic can they do with no horn?
>>
>>28920754
I heard a pony that's skilled with their mouth can be pretty magical
>>
>>28919966
If the only way to save their species is to cut off their horns, and the only reason their species is interesting enough to keep around is because of their cool horns, what is the point even?
>>
>>28921331
Keeping ecosystems from collapsing. Remove rhinos = wildebeests take over = wildebeests eat all the grass = desertification = no food for anyone else
>>
>>28921532
>no food
>Africa
Business as usual, then?
>>
>>28919659
JUST
>>
>>28920018
that would make a fun episode.

>shindig and candyass call twilight and the princesses for help
>mcflurry's horn has fallen off
>panic panic and more panic
>celestia and luna interact with twilight about what growing up as an alicorn was like
>>
>>28921665
Dammit, this shouldn't have made me kek bit it did...

Also, nice almost-trips. Better luck next time
>>
>>28921744
Nah, it's be more like this:

>Shining and Cadence call Twi and the princesses for help
>the spell Sunburst gave them wasn't strong enough to contain her magic for long, and the massive burst of magical energy was too much for her, causing It to crack/break off at the tip
>Just a little bit of panic, but more concern than anything
>at first, maybe...
>Celestia and Luna recall a time when the same thing happened to Celly, and her magic went haywire as it went "Ron's broken wand" and shit
>same shit starts happening as the baby cries, because that shit hurts
>a trip to the hospital reveals that a magic suppression ring is the required fix, but they don't have one strong enough
>Twi and Sunburst make one to block it so the horn can heal, just like Celly's case
>problem solved, happy ever after bullshit
>>
>>28921744
>>28921828
I could see that as an episode. Perhaps opening with Sunburst trying to teach Flurry something, then failing spectacularly.
>>
>>28919593
Listen up— this is a long one.

The first concept you have to absorb is the structure of the horn. It is absolutely not like bone, regardless of what you may believe.

The outer layer is an epidermal layer, and it does have thin fur. This is an unpopular fact.

Beneath the epidermal layer is not bone. It is a crystal structure called the leagus, and it serves as a connection to the magical realm. It morphs into the bone of the skull. Through the leagus runs a branching of nerves which connect directly to the unicorn's brain, allowing thoughts and actions to be translated by the leagus. The appropriate spell is retrieved from the aether, and runs up the cordels; the spiral pattern that is visible on all horns. The magical signal comes to a head at the very tip. The spell is released once enough magical pressure is present. The strength of one's castings depend on one's flexibility and pressure limit when charging a spell. You may train to achieve a higher pressure limit, but t's like holding in urine— some fags just don't know how to do it.

Poison joke is a magical plant itself, and the effects vary greatly. In Twilight's case, the crystal leagus was transformed into a rubbery, yet magically sound material. This is why Twilight was able to levitate her comb, however it should be noted that more complex spells would require much more effort, and would most likely prove impossible with a horn in such a state.

A burned horn is not a problem, as the leagus will automagically repair itself and surrounding tissues, and replace any damaged segments immediately. The ejected pieces gather on the horn as small crystalline growths that fall off after a few hours.

Sombra's black crystal magic simply blocked the "cap" of the horn, stopping spells from even leaving the spiral. The result is like blowing while holding your mouth and nose shut.

A horn is twice as hard and dense as diamond. You'd need a lot of force to destroy it.

Go for the skull instead.
>>
File: Estwing-E24A-Hatchet.jpg (44KB, 810x540px) Image search: [Google]
Estwing-E24A-Hatchet.jpg
44KB, 810x540px
>>28919644
On a similar note, I wonder if a unicorn horn could withstand a hatchet or machete blow.
>>
Didn't Twilight steal all the magic of three unicorns in some comic?
inb4 >comics >canon
>>
>>28922113

Refer to >>28922097

A hatchet or machete blow could not break diamond, therefore it would not break a unicorn's horn. It would damage the skin layer, which would be quickly repaired by the leagus.

Something I did fail to mention previously is that overexposure of energy or force to the horn may cause fainting, as it is sensitive. This should be a no brainer, though, because that nerves running to the brain are directly inside of the leagus.
>>
>>28922114
http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Friends_Forever_Issue_25
It was shit.
>>
>>28922097
>>28922124
So the appropriate weapon is a hammer then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMjFNB-mbI4
>>
File: 1447992293160.jpg (188KB, 630x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1447992293160.jpg
188KB, 630x1200px
>>28922555
Multiple applications would be required. See pic for details on hammer-related incidents.
>>
>>28922097
Did you just made that up as you went, or is this some serious headcanon business?
>>
>>28921331
once there is enough of them to survive again they can keep the horns

or maybe they should just teach them to impale poachers
>>
>>28923253

If it's anything like my headcanoning, he's probably been thinking about it for a while.

Personally, I prefer to explain magic as application of nanotechnology. There are parts of such an explanation which are less satisfying than true magic, but it doesn't require introducing an entirely new aspect of physics or metaphysics, since we suspect that machines can in fact be made that small.
>>
>>28922555
yeah it will but he clearly did not take that diamond out of that container
>>
>>28919593
Horns consist of a bony core covered by a keratin sheath.
Keratin is the same protein that fingernails and hair are comprised of.
If a horn breaks off, it will not grow back from the tip, although the base can continue to grow if the break wasn’t too close to the base.
Due to the fact that horns are live bone, broken horns will bleed.

>>28922097
That's an amazing level of autism.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.