/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FimFiction thread - Now with 74% more parodies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 504
Thread images: 43

File: This frightens the Twilight.png (465KB, 852x720px) Image search: [Google]
This frightens the Twilight.png
465KB, 852x720px
ITT: reading, writing, surprisingly enough, pony cuddling and belly rubbing, fetishes, stale purity memes, stories update after three years, Lightning doesn't strike twice but Bleeding sure does, cleaver welding monsters don't make your fic edgy, parody works that seem more appealing than the originals, abandoned stories and long-gone users, Fallout: Equestria is/isn't a ripoff of Fallout 3, the intricacies of magic and human interaction, the sun and the moon as magic batteries, smug pony faces, stale pastas, recommending stories, Mythril Moth takes the moral high ground, languages, President Trump in Equestria, ponifying pronouns,

Tired of fics with bland descriptions? Don't want to touch the story about the troubled teen with a horrible life? Well, we've compiled the best of the worst in order to bring you our absolute average!

>FiMFiction Starter Kit (recommended fics):
Winners:
http://i.imgur.com/vuTA7EN.png
List of nominees by category:
http://mlp-fanfics.herokuapp.com/

>How do I write fanfiction?
Ezn’s guide - https://eznguide.neocities.org/
Politics and the English Language - https://www.orwell.ru/library/essays/politics/english/e_polit/
Vhatug's tips for anatomically correct clop - https://pastebin.com/g4VpEg4f
Setting a story in motion - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufO8LbwTdu0 [Embed]

>Can you pre-read my story?
Post it on Google Docs with inline comments enabled and give us a link. Someone will take a look at it eventually.

>Reviews and riffs:
https://pastebin.com/u/notkickass222urmom

>Voiceguy's readings:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt68MpmvEketmqOdHncHI2w

Old thread: >>28806560
>>
Futamac get
>>
>>28862224
Off by two.

>>28861482
>>28861497

In the interest of considering summaries / story descriptions (I honestly hate writing them but you're [b]Completely[/b] right) how would you like to comment on my summary here:
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/171887/the-uses-of-an-interstitial-pipbuck-a-fallout-equestria-short
it's only 2500 words, I guess, so not hard to compare intro to story in this case. Unlike War of Another World's Conquest, which in addition to having an alicorn self-insert for the sole reason of watching a bunch of gods set off nuclear bombs in each other's bums, is 35K words so a little harder to catch up on.

Also I haven't gone back and really cleaned it up so if you do read my older stuff ...

Back on topic! Summaries!

"Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up." -Inigo Montoya
>>
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/135894/fallen-angels

So, this story. Whgat's tour opinion, /mlp/?

Personally, I think it's great. Sure, Christian themes make it reek of unfortunate implications, but otherwise it's a rather enjoyable and thought-provoking read.
>>
>>28862512
>pedofoalia
>Christianity
>Any real world religion
>>
>>28862512
Christian + MLP might be hard for some to do, but I'm a christian, as an example, and I feel okay with the underlying notions.

Haven't read the story, nor even heard of it. It's easy to badly mix disparate ideologies and piss off both sides of that fence though. But it can be very good for making you look at your own theology, and asking hard questions about this world.

Or about why you're so nonchalant about ponies who worship the sun. Sure it's likely to happen, but that doesn't mean it's not idolatry.

Captcha: Feel Midlothian (what *does* that feel like?)
>>
>>28862562
{cont}
My headcanon vacillates between: the sun is out of the princesses' control ... maybe they control its appearance via a giant magnifying lens spell, or maybe they maneuvered the planet into a comfortable orbit ('fics that see the princesses dead, or incapacitated and there is still a day/night cycle must assume some variant of this) OR the planet floats free, between galaxies or even after the heat death of the universe, and the "sun" is a giant light bulb a few feet outside the edge of their atmosphere.

Other civilizations probably have their own sun-caster, but I don't think I've seen any 'fics that display that -- it's assumed Tia graciously provides all the light to all the enemies of her state.

Perhaps that spell is easier than just keeping the growth bulbs on her own ponies' [gardening] plots.
>>
>>28862562
>>28862574

>maybe they control its appearance via a giant magnifying lens spell, or maybe they maneuvered the planet into a comfortable orbit

Disregard the episodes where Twilight played with the sun and we saw Celestia make it rise, and the episode when Equestria wasn't able to see a sunrise/set because the princesses were imprisoned.
>>
>>28862601
>disregard the episodes

Thanks for the advice, Stu! I'll do that.

The canon sun is clearly a magical construct, and probably only weighs a few hundred pounds ... or nothing, being a magical heat lamp. Again, located a few feet outside the atmosphere, no more.
>>
>>28862621

>Sun weighs a few hundred pounds

Also disregard that it took the whole unicorn race to move it, and only took the power of three alicorns for Twilight to be able to move it.

DYEWTS?
>>
>>28863221
It's a distance of, what ten miles? Of course it's unwieldy in the extreme.

You try picking up a paper clip from the other end of town, tell me how that went for you.
>>
File: twilight's_weakness_shows.png (816KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
twilight's_weakness_shows.png
816KB, 1280x720px
>>28863233
>It's a distance of, what ten miles?

Also disregard Twilight was able to levitate a small swimming pool's worth of milk and an arguably weightless or heavy bear all the way into the Everfree forest. She's a weakling compared to the princesses.

Yup, totally impossible for Celestia to move the sun unless it weighs a few pounds.
>>
>>28863263
across the village, not across space. It's the leverage that makes the difference.

And she was hardly a weakling; the whole point of that ep. was she was vastly overpowered compared to anything any country unicorn had ever seen, or dreamed of.

I'm not quite sure why this triggers you so much, DESU.
>>
>>28862621
We all know that the logic in the show is contradictory at best.

Faust focused less on actual worldbuilding and more on characters and new backdrops to put them in. It's a direction that the show never veered from.

Don't be that guy. As long as you can explain your shit, I don't give a fuck.
>>
>>28863301
>Don't be that guy. As long as you can explain your shit, I don't give a fuck.
I'm a physics autistlord, but when it comes to fanfiction this is the golden rule.
Make it fun to read, as long as it's not blatantly retarded who cares.
>>
>>28863284
>across the village, not across space

Unless you think the village is 500m wide and the bear's cave is directly near it, she levitated it quite a distance. If not, you've got a problem having a gigantic space bear right next to a small town.

>And she was hardly a weakling

Relatively. She was more powerful than Trixie, but, compared to what are basically gods, she can be considered a weakling.

>was she was vastly overpowered compared to anything any country unicorn had ever seen, or dreamed of.

That no one ever reached, especially not an old student of Celestia or some random unicorn studying magic intensively by herself in a egalitarian hellhole.

>I'm not quite sure why this triggers you so much, DESU.

I'm not the one putting desu in full caps. It doesn't trigger me, it's just that your headcanon is retarded and doesn't make sense when you have already canon rules and examples directly refuting your point.
>>
Stories
>>
It's time for everyone's favorite genre, HiE!
This time: Language. Do horses just speak English, even though they have like twenty different writing scripts, depending on the animator's mood? Or do they just [ASSORTED HORSE NOISES] all the time?
>>
>>28864500
It's English. There's no reason for this, no logic, no anything other than yes they speak English.
>>
>>28864597
The Princesses are also frauds, the planet revolves around the Sun, the Moon revolves around their planet. The Summer Sun celebration is an elaborate illusion that dulls the sunrise for a few minutes in the immediate vicinity, while the rest of the planet works as normal, uninterrupted. Ponies are simply extraordinarily gullible.
>>
File: raise.png (48KB, 971x301px) Image search: [Google]
raise.png
48KB, 971x301px
What the fuck am I reading? Or not reading, I suppose, because why would I bother reading what appears to be an """""ironically""""" shitty clopfic?
>>
>>28864500
[HORSE NOISES] is the only way to go. Even if you magic away the language barrier five minutes into first contact, it still means you don't have to explain why creatures from another planet and/or another universe entirely somehow speak this one particular human language (out of hundreds), this one regional dialect (out of dozens), as it was spoken in this one particular century (out of its entire history).
>>
File: two pony PiE.jpg (63KB, 550x412px) Image search: [Google]
two pony PiE.jpg
63KB, 550x412px
>>28864927
>implying they don't speak in whatever language you speak due to localisation
>>
>>28864951
In one of the less-shitty TCB fics I've read, the ponies actually spoke only Chinese, because the portal opened in the western Pacific and the magic picked up the language with the largest concentration of speakers nearby. Later on, Shining Armor (among others) does learn English, but he speaks it with a Chinese accent.
>>
>>28864999
>portal opens up in the Pacific
>but underwater
>ponies all just go SHOO BE DOO SHOOB SHOO BE DOO
>>
>>28863221
>took the power of three alicorns for Twilight to be able to move it
Did twilight ever try to move it before all of the other princesses filled her with their essences?
>>
>>28865734
Nope.
>>
Out of curiosity, I want to read a story with an earth pony antagonist. Any examples of that? If I remember right at least Fallout: Equestria had one, but I don't remember other ones.
>>
[Pt. 1]

>>28861161
Your synopsis is about as generic as an Adventure fic's can be. Other than it being about Yaks, it doesn't tell me anything that the tags don't already. BTW, you're missing character tags. OC would still apply even if it's a yak.

>>28861319
A good synopsis is hard to do. There's usually two ways to do it. You either shed a little light on the plot--maybe by giving some backstory (Daisy was a young foal. She loved blah blah blah, but that all changed when her mom collapsed one day.), maybe by summarizing the context of the plot (Relations with the dragons were never good, blah blah blah, but the attack on Baltimare was the last straw.)--or you do the "write a scene as if it's from the story." The later's very hard to do well as it has to convey the tone and feel of the story, all while still giving the reader an idea of what the story's about.

Also, notice how both my examples had some kind of hook at the end--the mom collapsing and the attack on Baltimare--to try and draw the reader in. The synopsis is like a piece of marketing: you're trying to show off your product while also getting the reader interested in more.

For yours, the backstory route's probably best given the nature of the story. Who is this yak? What's he like? Why's he going on an adventure? And most importantly--why should I, the reader, care?

None of these questions really need to be answered in the synopsis. They just give you an idea. The point is that the reader should know a little about the guy and his circumstances and want to know more by clicking on that first chapter.
>>
[Pt. 2]

>>28862286
>Set in the Fallout Equestria world
Shove this at the end on a new line. That's not the way to kick it off. (Also take out that parenthetic text in the title. It's redundant to say it twice and it makes the title look really messy.)

>Fortunately this...
Take both these sentences and shove them in an author's note at the end of the story.

As for the synopsis itself, it too feels bland and generic, almost like an initial plot overview you made before you wrote the thing. I mean, you don't even give his name (which is also an issue with the other synopsis). Details, details. Shed a little light on him. Why/how is he capturing ponies? Who is he? What problems? What kind of an end--this is especially important given it's a gorefic. It's 2,500 words, ther'es no need to beat around the bush as to the plot. It's not the reader will be spoiled very much if they know about the context of things.

Or, instead of the backstory route, you could opt for the "story scene." Write a short scene from the POV of one of his victims being tortured to death and make that the synopsis. Sure it's a little edgy, but it's already a Fallout: Equestria gorefic. You even throw in a little rant by the protag to set him up a little.

>>28862512
>foalcon written by a literal pedophile who's been banned
Kek.

>story contains real-world religion (specifically, Christianity)
What. How? Christianity has very specific cultural roots to it (right down to the name originating in Antioch). Assuming God did want to do an exact repeat of the redemption plan with ponies (and all the Old Testament Kingdom of Israel stuff too) as he did with humans, it's still going to pan out vastly differently.

As a Baptist, my jimmies will be severely jammed if this is some pedophilic apologist bullshit that tries to twist the Bible into a pretzel to serve as justification for the author's twisted morals.
>>
[Pt. 3]

>>28862562
>who worship the sun
Do they, though? The sun was worshiped because it was seen as the ultimate power--it lit the world and was hot enough to be felt even in the shade. But unicorns controlled Equestria's sun. Then Celestia. Not exactly the ultimate power if it has to be dragged around by others.

It is interesting everyone's so open about it. The unicorns and Celestia could have easily created a religion--with them as the priestly ruling class--over sun worship and how the earth pony and pegasi peons need to do such and such to appease the sun or it'll stop rising... and then actually back up that threat if anyone calls them out over it.

That'd make a great AU plot now that I think about it.

>>28862621
>is clearly a magical construct
Am I the only one who still has the "the planet's tidally locked and Celestia and Luna really rotate the planet while the massive sun and moon remain stationary" headcanon? Discord and Twilight fucked around with the planet's rotation/orientation in their episodes.

>>28864500
Horsewords and it's magically translated to English, idioms and all, for the audience, much like The Lion King.
>>
>>28862178
>Mythril Moth takes the moral high ground
Wait, what?
>>
>>28866458
That case against misogyny in a fic which he spergs about.
>>
>>28862574
>My headcanon vacillates between: the sun is out of the princesses' control
already been disproven when Twilight had to raise the moon
>>
>>28865734
If Twilight was powerful enough to move the sun, that also makes pretty much all of Equestria's magical elite able to move it and the moon, creating a gigantic clusterfuck day and night cycle.

That's if you think Twilight isn't the most powerful, and only an advanced student of Celestia's. If you do think she's the most powerful after both princesses and Starlight, your thing may work.

>>28866455
>Am I the only one who still has the "the planet's tidally locked

I always thought there was some force multiplying magical lever techniques for the princesses to move the sun easily.
>>
>>28866452
>>foalcon written by a literal pedophile
Who could've possibly expected this!
>>
>>28866462
no,stop anon. the reason I completely stopped replying was to avoid a possible powerlevel debate.

now its practically unavoidable unless the religous pedo thing gains traction
>>
>>28866469
Oh.

You're right, better stop.
>>
>>28864614
Look what we have here.

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/347264/the-cock-of-ages---databass-and-the-prank-that-goes-horribly-wrong-and-ends-in-macro-giant-penis-and-bukkake-20#comment/7714728

Looks like we know what inspired this thing.
>>
>>28866048
Obviously FoE and, by extension, Murky Number Seven. I can't think of any others, since it's kinda hard to make an earth pony threatening when you've got overpowered unicorns on the protag team.
>>
>>28866459
>against misogyny
what the fuck, the protagonist of Persona EG is a guy who's cheating on his girlfriend and fucking her best friends left and right, and then fucking another one because he got mad when his gf got upset about it
he's objectifying and fetishizing women left and right
>>
>>28866488
Fuck if I know
>>
>>28866462
>>28866469
>>28866472
But even alicorn Twilight couldn't beat unicorn Starlight, and alicorn magic is more powerful than unicorn magic. She must be fucking garbage if she's beaten that easily after a life of nothing but studying.
>>
>>28866494
She is, unless you're retarded enough to think she's the most powerful thing alive after the princesses.
>>
>>28866494
fuck. its too late now.

40 posts in and this threads ruined
>>
>>28866504
What did you expect?
>>
>>28866506
the pedo thing to gain traction?
nine bumps in a row?
anythings better than power level debate.
even guns and tanks
>>
>>28866509
>anythings better than power level debate

So, you'd rather have circlejerking around pedophiles and bumping rather than having a serious discussion?
>>
>>28866509
>>28866520
wew, looks like we have something else going on now
>>
>>28866520
yes, because its never a discussion. it always descends into a full blown austistic spergout
>>
>>28866528
No, fuck you and fuck your opinion!
>>
>>28866528
The only autistic spergout here is you.
>>
>>28866466

It's not that automatic of a thing, because... It is weird, some foalcon writers/artists/whatever never ever felt attracted to actual children (obviously a prerequisite to be a paedophile), but they like foalcon anyways. I suspect it's because, since for some people cuteness is a catalyzer for sexual drive and since foals are cuter than adults, foalcon is the sexiest thing possible.

>>28866520
>So, you'd rather have circlejerking around pedophiles

Well, the mere fact that >>28862512 posted a link to such a story makes me suspect we're not having the same exact opinions here.
>>
Bump 1/9
>>
>>28862512
Whats the problem? Most of the user base of fimfiction are pedophiles, including you all.

>Implying you havent read that pedophilic straight fic with a male and female

>What is all shota and incest fics

Don't lie to yourselves lol. Not to mention all the upvotes on his fic lol.

>Inb4 damage control
>>
>>28862512
>>28866452
>>28862536
>>28862562

Since it caused such a discussion, I will link another similar story: http://www.fimfiction.net/story/309531/a-she-devil-in-plain-sight
>>
>>28868363
Weak bait tbqh
>>
>>28868371
>Posted by Daxn
>[online]

Fuck off Daxn
>>
>>28868381
Well, self-promotion is an improvement over deletion, innit?
>>
>>28868371
>The summary didn't warn that there would be diapers in this story.
Glad I checked the comments first.
Looks like shitty fetishes go together.
>>
>>28868399
Except said part got removed. Since I am not the kind of guy to delete comments on my stories, I left it there.
>>
>>28868399
http://pastebin.com/gF6TZ1cY

Take the first chapter, the only part it was present.
>>
>>28868411
>>28868418
Tell me why I should read this story.
It revolves around defending pedos which is a subject I have zero interest in, it's Equestria Girls, it has 50% downvotes, and you apparently can't stop yourself from inserting your other fetishes inside.
>>
>>28868427
I don't know, maybe others will be interested. I don't exclude anything.
>>
>>28868439
No one will be, deal with it.

I'm fine with lots of stuff, but pedophilia is just wrong and pointless.
>>
>>28868439
So maybe I'm not your target audience, but the fact that your rating is half red tells me it's probably not just me.
>>
>>28868445
I have dealt with it multiple times, this one's no different.
>>
File: ew.jpg (22KB, 321x396px) Image search: [Google]
ew.jpg
22KB, 321x396px
>>28868457
Even if it's just fanfiction on the Internet, you apparently dedicated a significant amount of time to this, so I think you need to ask yourself some hard questions as an author.
>>
>>28868457
Well keep on dealing with it until you grow two working brain cells. Real life ain't like Ayn Rand's "fuck everyone and get successful" utopias.
>>
>>28868447
Possibly, I cannot objectively judge it and I have been trying to find someone capable of saying anything beyond "I don't like it" since basically when I first wrote it.

Of course it helps that, as I said in my previous post, diapers were featured at first, so a few people downvoting just for them and never taking them away is plausible, but it's clear it is not the only thing.

Perhaps it's too melodramatic? Or maybe it has wonky pacing?
>>
>>28868479
Or perhaps it deals with pedophilia, which most sane person aren't interested in.

Gosh, it's like you're trying to cut off your head to get rid of a pimple.
>>
>>28868467
I did. But what else I could do? My other attempts at doing anything else did not exactly net me much of anything but a shower of up/downvotes, depending on the case at hand, but nary a comment.

>>28868475
I am aware.
>>
>>28868489
Considered that the other anon posted "Fallen Angels," with an overwhelmingly positive score, I suspect it's possible to be so mechanically good the themes are largely ignored.

Or maybe it's just being good at advertising.
>>
>>28868496
>I did. But what else I could do?
Try writing a more serious story, and I'll be happy to review it. With this one you'd have to pay me to even open the first chapters, that's way too many red flags for something I'm not interested in in the first place.

>My other attempts at doing anything else did not exactly net me much of anything but a shower of up/downvotes, depending on the case at hand, but nary a comment.
Well yeah, that's how the site works. You publish your story and people will read it, rate it, and leave a couple chatty comments, but most of the time you're not going to get a serious opinion unless you ask for it.
>>
>>28868506
>with an overwhelmingly positive score,

>Christian sperging out about MLP being fake idolatry who didn't read the story but regards it as deep theological reflection material
>TSG
>troll
>B-but it's good! 448:93 U/D ratio!

Doesn't change the fact it's still a piece of pedophilic shit trying to justify it as good.
>>
>>28868532
>You publish your story and people will read it, rate it, and leave a couple chatty comments, but most of the time you're not going to get a serious opinion unless you ask for it.

Exactly what I do. But I guess I don't badger too much about it either.

>Try writing a more serious story, and I'll be happy to review it.

There would be this: http://www.fimfiction.net/story/344460/the-shadowbolts-adventures-the-glory-and-legend-of-eternal-city

I haven't been able to do much with it of late, sadly.
>>
>>28868533
Sounds like as good a recommendation as any. I'll see how far I can get into it.
>>
>>28868561
>>28869286
I actually read the story. It's not... terrible. It deals with the subject matter as tactfully as one could, for the most part.

However, it suffers from the same issue as most stories that try to tackle a controversial topic, the opposing faction are represented as ignorant or close minded. Applejack and Rainbow Dash default to outright insulting and berating pedophiles, which is a heavy contrast with the way Rarity is portrayed when coming to terms with her attraction to little boys.

Plus that whole third act with Lemon Drops heading a raid at a party because reasons fetl tonally incongruent with the rest of the story and just makes me wonder why was it even included.
>>
File: 559948_v1.jpg (261KB, 542x599px) Image search: [Google]
559948_v1.jpg
261KB, 542x599px
Tell us, Anonymous.
What are you writing?
>>
>>28869646
SunLight shipfic for NaNoWriMo. I'm going to have to do a lot of editing since I just realized that reading about the details of people doing research in a field you're not familiar with is about as interesting as reading an actual research paper for a field you're not familiar with. I'm trying to make deriving expressions and solving equations from theoretical models and verifying them with empirical results exciting and realistic, but I'm slowly coming to the realization that those two things are mutually exclusive, and have gained a lot of respect for the guys who have to write the scripts for CSI.
>>
>>28869646
Shit.

Not good shit, either.
>>
>>28869646
Something not pony.

Feel free to boo me off the stage.
>>
>>28870122
I'm curious, is it a real book? Just non-pony fanfiction? Something else?
>>
>>28870154
A real book; not fanfiction.
>>
>>28870167
And what is that book about?
>>
>>28870262
It's an epic fantasy book with feudal warlords fighting over a dead crown with a dead title. Basically. Probably not your cup of tea.
>>
File: brentrambo.gif (3MB, 500x363px) Image search: [Google]
brentrambo.gif
3MB, 500x363px
>>28870440
Sounds mildly interesting.
What kind of fantasy setting?
>>
>>28870597
Low fantasy cosmic horror setting.
>>
File: Flail.png (146KB, 630x252px) Image search: [Google]
Flail.png
146KB, 630x252px
>>28870633
>Low fantasy cosmic horror setting.
I'd read it.
>>
>>28870693
It'll take a year for me to write. Then another year to find an agent who'd give it a shot. Then another year to find a publisher who'd give it a shot.

But if /fimfic/ is still around after three more years, there's about a 10% chance I'll remember to tell you guys about it so you can tell me how much it sucks.
>>
>>28870733
I don't what seems more optimistic, that you'll finish it in a year, or that we'll be around in three more years.
>>
>>28869765
This is the one where Scilight meets Sunset while investigating some magic shit? Cause if so, I am hype
>>
>>28869646
Nothing.
All my projects are on hold until the end of the semester.
>>
>>28869646
aside from this post, nothing. i'm lazy
>>
>>28869646
An Alternate History novel in my own language.
>>
>>28871941
alternate history of what?
>>
>>28870904
It was, but I changed up the premise after Legends of Everfree. I was originally going to have it ignore Friendship Games and LoE, but after watching LoE I realized that I was violating the spirit of the characterizations rather than just ignoring the canon, and that part I couldn't look past.

In short, it was originally going to be about Twilight wanting to release knowledge of the magic into the world while Sunset tried to stop her, but after seeing Sunset go all "Embrace the Magic" in LoE, I figured it would make more sense if Sunset was the pro-magic one, since she grew up in a world of magic and her life was dedicated to it before and she's seen all the good that's come out of it. I mean, if Equestria is a utopia compared to the human world, it would make more sense for her to want to bring magic into the human world.

That makes SciTwi the anti-magic one, which also fits better given her reluctance to use magic in LoE. And this also allows me to include the canon from FG and LoE in my story. But it did mean redoing a lot of the premise. It still takes place 15 years into the future, but instead of SciTwi trying to investigate magic while Sunset tries to stop her, the two of them are now working together to track down some villain who stole Sunset's journal in order to open a portal to Equestria. I also added some backstory about SciTwi and Sunset having a falling out due to ideological differences that ended with the Canterlot High portal being permanently closed, which let's me hit the reset button on their relationship in the story and gives Sunset a reason for having to find other ways besides magic to make money (I have her as the founder of think tank that comes out with all sorts of cutting-edge developments, most of which are influenced by some insight from Equestria).
>>
>>28866462
>and Starlight
>implying unicorn Twilight's less powerful than Starlight
Twilight could do the self levitation thing, too (see: The Crystal Empire) and encasing someone in amber doesn't seem like a terribly powerful spell to begin with.

>>28866494
1) Twilight's always been shit at combat, so it's not that surprising if Jim Jones studied offensive magic more than she did.

2) During their fights, Starlight always had the time travel advantage, in that she could see where Twilight popped in with her giant portal and plan accordingly.

3) Haber's a shit writer who could not give less of a fuck about continuity.

>>28866520
I kind of would, actually. Power level debates have been raging since Twilight first levitated those apples in Applebuck Season.

>>28868363
>including you all
I'm not. The only foalcon I've read is the horrifying dark and disturbing kind like Faithful that makes you cringe and squirm as you read.

>>28868439
The only ones around here that'll likely be interested are those from the Spanish thread.

>>28869646
Working on an avant gardy "oneshot" that's basically a bunch of communication logs hosted on an Equestrian government server that's slowly failing, spitting out errors left and right, as a zombie apocalypse killed the princesses, plunging Equestria into eternal night and killing who was left. It ends with a 503 Bad Gateway error.

I'll probably never finish it, like all the other oneshots I've mentioned over the threads.
>>
>>28872686
Why does everyone think of Twilight as the special snowflake more powerful than anyone unicorn? I've always thought of her as a (very) above average but still within bounds one, even when she turned an alicorn.

I won't try to get into a debate as they quickly degenerate, but in my headcanon, Twilight is a prodigy, and nothing more, leaving plenty of other more powerful or skilled unicorn in Equestria.
>>
>>28872201
It is more like a Science fiction novel with Alternate History themes, but there we go.

The protagonista works in a collocation agency, checking on different Timelines in order to asses the feasibility for a client to move or make business there.

The protagonista gets involved in a plot featuring Belgian terrorists, Swiss misanthropes, a town next to Sonora's desert and Liegè in a Timelines where Burgundy carried on to modern day.
>>
>>28869646

On and off working on a sequel to Tribute while putting off slowly killing a different story with yet another round of revisions to satisfy an EQD prereader.
>>
>>28873209
>yet another round of revisions to satisfy an EQD prereader
eqd hasnt been relevant to anything in like 4 years. why would anyone continue catering to their whims?
>>
>>28872960
Twilight is seen as super powerful because she managed to catch Celestia's attention and became her personal student, since who else would be able to teach her. Without proper guidance, she could become someone very dangerous, like Starlight, which by the way, became Twilight's student for the very same reason. Sunset is too seen as super powerful, due to also being Celestia's student.
>>
A question to you gents. Has there been any attempt to preserve and archive the major fanon of the past for historical purposes? Is it even important enough to merit an effort to try and keep the history of it all intact for future generations?

Call me sentimental, but I have been thinking about expanding a little project of mine which attempts to preserve the various epochs this fandom has went through. To commit to memory the changes and alterations in fan content as the show went on. Even if the old fanons and world building may have been left for dust, I believe it is worth preserving into some form of archive for this fandom to remember. Would it be worth expanding upon that effort?

Thus far I have merely been archiving various fanfiction from the site. I have been brooding over as to how I should organizing it all. With it comes questions. What fic defines each epoch in terms of the fanon that was prevalent at the time? The attitudes and moods? The changes that each episode and season overall that brought a major shift into this fandom's development?

It's nothing that truly concrete, but I was wondering if any of you have met similar attempts, and if so, how have they faired? I have not seen any efforts to preserve such information myself, so I assume there hasn't been any. To that, I ask if you believe the effort worthwhile.
>>
>>28874108
>major fanon of the past
are you referring to the generic shit that autists everywhere have latched onto as unquestionable truth ie 'general fanon', or shit stemming from whatever major fic/versewas popular at such and such time ie 'specific fanon'?
>>
>>28874108
That sounds like a pretty cool projects, but if it's hand-picked probably you'll either miss most of the interesting stuff, or it'll be too opiniated to accurately reflect the whole fandom's opinions.

I know there are already complete archives of fimfictions, but presumably you want to do more than that.

Are you trying to do some sort of wiki like ED with a page for every meme and "art" piece this fandom has ever generated?
>>
>>28874146
I figured he was going to take every piece of concentrated autism, roll it up into one concise blob, and then write the worst atrocity of fanfiction the world has ever seen
>>
>>28874262
Please just kill me now.
>>
>>28874262
Oh noes! You have revealed my dastardly plans to bring utter ruin to this filth ridden fandom. What ever shall I do?

But no. I am afraid not even I could beat My Immortal in terms of pure atrocities committed against the English language.

I do have standards good sirs.
>>
>>28874146
Something to that effect. Perhaps not so ambitious, but that is the general spirit of what I am attempting to do.

My primary goal I suppose would be to document the relationship between the show canon vs that of fandom fanon. (To a lesser extent, headcanon that impacted the general fanon in a major way.)

In particular, how the general fanon was altered in response to changes and developments from the show canon itself. To what something may have been like before the show revealed and fleshed out a particular segment in world building.

Some examples of what could be explored: Interpretations of Luna's character from before S2 onward.

The characterization of gryphons as being a proud warrior race, with notable histories crafted by some of the more renowned writers in this fandom like those for https://www.fimfiction.net/story/76123/summer-days, the differences between then and now for characters and world details.

What was alicorn Twilight like before her official ascension in the show?

How were the changelings interpreted before the arrival of these new episodes?

But seeing how vast of an effort it would be to try and archive every little piece, it might be wiser to narrow that focus into something that could be achieved with minimal amount of manpower required. Considering that I sincerely doubt that many would be truly interested in being actively involved with the archival of such content, it has to be kept in mind that this may be a one man show. The problem with that is that I have little experience with regards to archiving content, then organizing it all into something that could be read on a timeline format. Not to mention what questions to consider when writing essays on the subject at length. Thus I come here in hopes for assistance in that regard. To sort through it all and organize it before going to the efforts proper to commit to projects that would involve general observations and the development of the content as time went on.
>>
>>28874108
I've thought about it from time to time, and have mentally been trying to come up with a list of fics that have had some kind of significant impact on the fandom, either within the fimfiction community or the MLP community a whole.

For me, the problem is that I joined the fandom in late 2013, after most of the influential fics were written, and nothing after that has had the same impact on the fandom that the eariler works did, so I don't know how to put them in the context of the fandom at the time. I only know the lasting effects they had on the fandom.

Off the top of my head, the "important" fics that would be worth studying would be:

-Cupcakes (the most well-known fic whose memes persist strongly to this day)
-Fallout:Equstria (the largest sub-fandom based on a fimfic, and very well-known, although I'm not sure how it affected the landscape of the fandom outside of the FO:E community)
-Past Sins (most well-known alicorn OC, and one of the earliest fics to be well-received by the fandom)
-It's a Dangerous Business, Going Out Your Door (another early fic that was well-received)
-On a Cross and Arrow (cemented the R63 names for many of the characters)
-Progress (created a lot of early Luna headcanons)
-The Vinyl Scratch Tapes/Alegrezza (these two fics popularized VinylxOctavia, as far as I know)

Other popular fics that didn't really create anything, but may have contributed to certain things becoming popular:
-Anthropology (human-obsessed Lyra)
-Vinyl and Octavia: University Days (Vinyl x Octavia)
>>
>>28874441
The above fics I associate as being part of either the "first epoch" of FIM, in the days before fimfiction.net when the fandom was still new and eating up anything that looked halfway interesting, or the "second epoch," aka "the golden age" of pony during the Season 2 when content creation really exploded.

The next epoch would be the Season 3-4 era, which are the Dark Ages of our fandom when it was convulsed by change and controversy. I think the fics that will be seen as gems of that epoch are:
-Hard Reset (it's well-known enough that people associate time loops with this fic as much as with The Best Night Ever, and people still fit in references to Weather Vanes in their fics to this day.)
-Through the Well of Pirene (hasn't had a lot of impact within the fandom, but is very highly regarded. I feel like it's turned into the elitist fic that people recommend and call "literature" but people don't really talk about the fic itself.)
-Long Road to Friendship (basically popularized EqG as a fanfic setting and is still seen as the best or second-best EqG story in the fandom depending on how you feel about Fractured Sunlight)

As for the current epoch, which I feel started with Season 5 and I don't know if it has ended yet or how long it will last, I really don't know what we'll see as products of the Zeitgeist. It's possible that the fandom is fractured and set in its ways to the point where there will never be another Past Sins or FO:E, or tomorrow someone may write a fic that ends up creating its own fandom. We shall have to see.

Final note: other fics that I forgot which are worth looking at: The Conversion Bureau, Friendship is Optimal, Five Score Divided by Four.
>>
The show is so old and so much has been explored already that people aren't dreaming anymore.
There isn't this sense of wonder and that anything is possible.

Nothing is surprising or exciting anymore.
>>
If someone is shouting a question, do you use question marks or exclamation points at the end? A question mark can't quite carry the tone I want, and while I'd normally use dialogue tags, it still doesn't feel emphatic enough. On the other hand, an exclamation point completely misses the question part of the sentence, and while someone would infer it from having one of the 5 Ws in the sentence, it still feels wrong. And I refuse to use "?!" because that is an abomination of the English language and I'm not sure about how people feel about interrobangs.
>>
>>28875458
If you refuse to use a " Question?!", then you can always use a "QUESTION?", but that's much more forceful.
Interrobangs are just plain silly though.
>>
>>28875458
Your public should know a question sentence just by the words in it. Just place a ! at the end, or just use ?! or !?

Interrobangs, I don't even know if half of Fimfic knows about them.
>>
File: 1462201600677.jpg (26KB, 403x403px) Image search: [Google]
1462201600677.jpg
26KB, 403x403px
>>28874499
I see it differently.

In a world that was meant to inspire wonder to little kids both in age and in spirit, the new seasons have drawn back the curtain only to reveal the con man behind it.

Some I feel mixed feelings like the Griffin kingdoms. It explains some things well (uses our historical lore to its advantage) but doesn't inspire new explanations. Some ideas are just plain lousy like making the Everfree a glorified tourist attraction. Some ideas are neato like Cloudsdale with the various factories and the wonderbolts academy. It also looks nice.

The dragon lands and Griffinstone look too mundane to really feel like MLP. It needs a wow factor.

TL;DR: The wizard sucks. Bring back Glinda.
>>
File: 43545345345345345345.gif (725KB, 228x261px) Image search: [Google]
43545345345345345345.gif
725KB, 228x261px
>>28875868
Pretty much this.

Early MLP was good because of the sense of mystery and wonder behind it.

It's almost like they tried to make it too plain and boring now.
Maybe it's because they're running out of ideas but I don't know.
>>
>>28875922
Early MLP threw a bunch of random, crazy stuff at the wall without thinking about whether it made any sense or not individually or as part of a whole. (Running of the Leaves? A single dragon having the capacity to blot out the skies of all of Equestria?) The fans just ran with it and tried to invent reasons why it all made sense.

As the seasons progressed, they realized that they couldn't keep throwing random, large-scale crazy worldbuilding out there without creating a mess, so they toned it down and made safer changes/additions to canon. Like how alicorns keep getting less and less special. If they had kept alicorns as these godlike entities they were portrayed as in the first season, we'd be constantly asking why they didn't effortlessly defeat X villain. We still argue about that today, but most people seem to just accept that alicorns aren't all that powerful. It's a safe option that makes the world easier to digest, but also boring.

In short, Season 1's worldbuilding was haphazard and unsustainable, and they had a choice between making it boring or having it become a complete mess where the very nature of reality fundamentally changed every few episodes.
>>
>>28876133
To put it another way: early MLP was mythic fantasy - impressive, grand, and makes very little sense when you think about it and try to apply logic. Later MLP is modern high fantasy, where they try to make all the parts work together as a whole, which generally means making it like Earth, since that's the only stable system we know of.
>>
>>28862512
So long as its not full of heretical Protestant bullshit, I dont see why it wouldn't-
>foalcon
Guaranteed that its a 'liberal interpretation' of the Bible for sicko fucks
>>
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/354006/bobsquibla-gets-her-minge-plastered

It starts as a silence, then ends as a explosion.

Rate my story me mateys.
>>
>>28875458
>>28875776
I N T E R R O B A N G S ‽ ‽ ‽
>>
>>28877132
>check the ratings of everything else this guy has done
holy shit guys, weve finally found someone that even bleedin can look down on in contempt
>>
How to write non-sexualized nausea?
His tongue was thick and heavy in his mouth. With every heartbeat, it throbbed. There was an overwhelming pressure building in his ears. The nausea forced him to the ground, the ground that was swaying like a ship in a tsunami underneath him. He curled into the fetal position, clutching his head, trying to press the nausea in his head away with his hands.
The ground kept shifting underneath him, tossing and turning him. The nausea kept building. Unconsciously, his mouth opened and he gave a continuous, low keening groan.
His stomach was floating in his chest one moment, and in the next it was heavy as lead, pulling him down. He was dimly aware that Odgen was suffering lime him, both men writhing in silent agony.
>>
>>28878200
Fetish acquired!
>>
>>28872960
>Why does everyone think of Twilight as the special snowflake more powerful than anyone unicorn
>I don't think I've ever come across a unicorn with your raw abilities.
>said by the 1000+ year old alicorn

>>28874108
From a more historical perspective, and less on the fanon side, there's:

Severing (The /co/ greentext and EQD jpeg fanfic posting era)

Past Sins/Fallout: Equestria (The golden age of the EQD fanfic era)

The Greatest Equine Who has Ever Lived! (start of the Fimfic era and beginning of EQD's decline)

Protect and Survive Equestria (final implosion of the Pony Fiction Archive)

Xenophilia/some other really popular fic from 2012 (peak of the Fimfic era)

Red Thrush Private School (beginning of the Fimfic Drama Wars)

Diaries of a Madman (beginning of the Autism Era of Fimfic)

Reality is Stranger Than Fiction (peak of the Fimfic Drama Wars)

No idea what era we're in now. Probably just the autism and drama wars continue to simmer.

>>28874334
>What was alicorn Twilight like before her official ascension in the show?
There were two subgenres, the "she freaks out when she grows wings" (Expectations, Not My Destiny, Ascend) and the "she does princess/action stuff" (Not My Destiny, Rites of Ascension, Cry For Eternity). Both are now RIPing in pieces.
>>
[Pt. 2]

>>28875458
I use "!?"

>I refuse to use "?!"
Then you have to pick. An exclamation mark helps reduce the need for dialogue tags since the reader will know it's shouting, but may miss it's a question if it's a longer sentence. A question mark does the opposite. You're going to have to weigh which is most likely to confuse the reader, or admit it's not an abomination and is an excellent way to communicate information to the reader--which is the whole point of written language.

>interrobangs
I think they look like shit, probably have font/unicode issues for users, and even if supported, are far more likely to confuse than using either a question mark or exclamation point.

>>28875922
>make it too plain and boring now.
I think it's more just the fact that, as time has gone on, the world of Equestria has gotten a lot smaller. Remember back when we had no idea what was really in that city on the side of a mountain? Or yearned for more than just a two minute scene of Manehattan? Now, we're sick of the place and grown when "it's a Rarity in Manehattan" episode.

I don't think there's a ton the writers could have done to prevent it, though. They couldn't have done six seasons of just Ponyville episodes--there's just not enough there to keep it interesting. Expanding things out, and making the world less mysterious and awe inspiring as a result, was inevitable.

>>28878200
Seems a bit melodramtic. I don't curl up in silent agony when I get nausea--I start walking around taking deep breaths and maybe a few swigs of water. Then, when the watery mouth kicks in, that's my body sounding the "get to the nearest bathroom" alarm.
>>
>>28879016
Tfw Canon ruined my guilty Alicorn Ascension Twilight fic pleasure
>>
>>28874441
>>28874480

Seems you have it pat down despite coming late into the fandom's life cycle. I will admit my own memories have grown somewhat hazy over time, but you have rekindled a reminder of some of the old stuff.

For the Epoch 1, you forgot the fanfic "Progress". That fic details some of the more "mainline" interpretation of Luna's character at the time prior to Luna Eclipsed. (Bear in mind the fic has since been influenced by the episode itself.) It should be noted however that interpretation wasn't the only one out there, just the most dominant from what I have seen. There were definitely fics out there that had a more nuanced approached to the character that weren't the waifu woobish fests that some people seem to despise. Just have to find and dig them out with some effort. (A pity Fimfiction never got around to implementing a feature to mark fics based on what Season of canon was used, would make this process a lot easier.)

There were also a few semi-notable things posted to deviantART at this time, including fanfiction. Though as you can imagine, it is a basterd to sort through due to the nature of the site. It just simply wasn't designed with fanfiction in mind.
>>
>>28879197
>For the Epoch 1, you forgot the fanfic "Progress"
Pretty sure he didn't?
>>
Is this the best fanfic ever written?

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/940/the-spiderses
>>
>>28879016
>Raw abilities

That's it.

Raw ability is nothing without training, and that's what Celestia understood. While she can get incredibly powerful if trained, the same could be say about anyone dedicating some time of his life to studying magic. I just don't think great ponies are born that way and stay great for their entire lives.
>>
>>28879241
I think the difference there is innate talent and hard work vs hard work. I'm sure if I practiced playing golf every day I'd get pretty good at it but i don't know if I'd ever best Tiger Woods.

You can't say that Celestia wasn't training Twilight when she was her student for her adolescent years. Honestly, I don't think Twilight should have ever had any competition from any Unicorns in or around her age group. She's got innate talent, once in a millennia, and trained by pony Ra.

Her entire character was based around an autistic prodigy becoming the best at magic through diligent study.

Failing to curbstomp Glim Glam was pretty silly.
>>
>>28879272
>I don't think Twilight should have ever had any competition from any Unicorns in or around her age

That I agree, she's obviously the most talented in her age group.

>Failing to curbstomp Glim Glam was pretty silly.

I think that was only something to show her that, even if she was an alicorn and defeated some godlike monster, her level could be reached by hard work and she had much to learn about the world. Plus, I've always thought of Starlight as a 30-35 years old mare with much more experience..
>>
>>28879016
>Reality is Stranger Than Fiction

Never heard of that one, what happened?
>>
>>28879466
I'd also like to know
>>
>>28877132
This is terrible. And skimming through some of your other stuff, I see no signs of improvement from a year ago until now.

You need to go to the groups for newbie authors and ask for help.

That is, if you're bring genuine and this isn't one of Bleeding's alts, which I suspect is the case.
>>
Alright boys, let me ask
What would you say is the tech-level of Equestria comparative to our technological progress, technological outliers nonwithstanding.

Personally, I wanna say its somewhere around 1830-ish in the sense that the foundations and basics of industry are present, but the vast majority of the land is still very much pre-Industrial
>>
>>28880142
Another tech level debate?

Ugh. no thanks.
>>
>>28879241
Except, in show, she is the (apparently) infallible deus ex machinae who, after the third season, would be a complete Mary Sue if it were not for the usual "someone is dumb so X happens" plot. She has every ability the plot requires her to have, and seems to magically forget any spell that would be just too convenient. It's not raw power or training, it's raw stupidity.
>>
>>28880142
Equestria is in a completely different world and has developed technologies in a different order, so it's not comparable.

Magic is completely overpowered, and magic combined with technology makes it ridiculous.
Just look at Twilight vs Applejack when it comes to picking apple. One has magic, the other went crazy from exhaustion just doing her life's purpose.
And let's not even talk about Flim & Flam's machine, when it isn't running on overdrive it's massively better than doing things by hand. A couple of those and you have an industrial revolution.

TL;DR: Nothing makes sense. It's a cartoon.
>>
>>28880353
>Magic is completely overpowered
I agree, in so that imo I dont think Equestria will ever progress out of a pre-Industrial state for the sake of the fact that if it isnt magic being easily supplantable by technology, its that whenever we see new technology or an industrialized process, ie Flim Flam or the assembly line for the Princess dress, its wholeheartedly rejected by the power of friendship and other family values, for the obvious fact of trying to instill the values of individualism and positive values into little girls and whatnot, but all the more still.

Honestly, Equestria is too friendly of a place to have any sort of industrial revolution, not to mention things like cutie marks completely BTFO the concepts of industrialization
>>
>>28880142
It's a post-Trumpian wasteland, where ponies have had to revert to an agricultural level of existence, but bits of technology are still floating around and in use.
>>
>>28880353
>Equestria is in a completely different world and has developed technologies in a different order, so it's not comparable.
This. necessity and conflict drive technological advancement. most of our advances came from wartime r&d

since theres very little conflict in horseland, theres little advancement along that avenue, which leaves necessity. since a third of the population can fly, and another third can pull bullshit solutions out of their asses then theres little need for mechanical innovation

ponies will never reach a similar tech level to us because theres no impetus to do so. theyll likely forever be kicking trees and physically dragging their trains around until and unless an outside force necessitates increased efficiency
>>
File: just blame pol.gif (875KB, 268x268px) Image search: [Google]
just blame pol.gif
875KB, 268x268px
>>28880414
>post-Trumpian wasteland
wew lad, thats some A-grade bait
You almost got me
>>
>>28880077
Just give me a fiction without terrible writing so I can emulate
>>
>>28880077
Just give me a smut without terrible writing so I can ovulate
>>
>>28880486
i'm not certain that that is how it works
>>
>>28880497
I'm a pony, sure it doesn't.
>>
>>28880458
>>28880486
Just go to the clopfics group and sort by rating. You'll get all the best of the absolute best to choose from.

But I don't think you know enough about how to write well for that to help you. You need to know how and why those clopfics are successful. When you have know-nothings attempting to emulate the cream of the crop, the result will look something like 'The Eye of Argon' by Jim Theis.

Like I said, you need help. There are groups dedicated to people like you. Go reach out to them.
>>
>>28880518
>Like I said, you need help. There are groups dedicated to people like you. Go reach out to them.
Is this the Writers Anonymous?
>>
>>28880638
Yes it is.

My name is Bleeding, and I was downvoted on Fimfiction.
>>
>>28880645
Your not bleeding you salty codger
because im him
>>
>>28880518
Just made a thread asking for help, they told me to write more and thats it.
>>
>>28880729
They told you that out of laziness. They're right, but practice is only half of it of it. You need someone who will give you the feedback you need to improve; your year of writing regularly and never improving at all is proof of this.

Most of Fimfiction is too jaded and lethargic to help you, but if you look hard enough, you just might find someone idealistic and good-natured enough to do it.
>>
>>28880770
>Most of Fimfiction is too jaded and lethargic to help you, but if you look hard enough, you just might find someone idealistic and good-natured enough to do it.
I'm getting jaded just reading this sentence.
>>
>>28880828
Welcome to the real world.
>>
>>28880849
The real world may be a horrible place full of terrible people, but I think I'm just gonna keep being idealistic and friendly if I can help it.

I hate people in particular, but I do like humanity.

Chin up!
Don't bet on sinking ships ...
>>
>>28880871
Thanks, heres some content since voiceguy has dissapeared again.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=755dipx31Jw

To better enliven this thread.
>>
>>28874499
>>28875922
>>28875868

The show began losing my interest in Season 3. While the rest of the seasons from that point onward aren't horrible as some people would say, they do not exactly inspire any sort of air of mystery, wonder and enchantment like earlier seasons did. While they may have fleshed out the world as time went on, any gap they filled in left no further incentive for fan creators to come up with their own explanation for why something may be so and so. There was simply no point in pursing the matter further, and thus any creations for that particular subject simply withers up and dies.

Take the gryphons for example. Prior to the Gryphonstone episode, there was a void that quite a few creative member in this fandom filled in. Though the most popular was that of a proud warrior state that could have either been allies or enemies to Equestria in fan made material, it certainly wasn't the only interpretation, and could have been easily mixed with other ones to craft a many varied interpretations that I thoroughly enjoyed. When the episode aired however, all of that ended. There was no longer any room for interpretation, just a strict canonical one that creators in this fandom seem to follow to the letter, just like with any other when a void is filled. Any sense of intrigue and speculation was squashed. A pattern that seems to follow much to my personal distaste is that some creators go out of their way to rewrite their own fan spun mythos to fit the new canon exclusively, leaving all efforts for the creation of their fan crafted universes a moot point. Why did they even bother if they were just going to conform in the end?
>>
>>28881259
Though there are exception to this rule, including creations that have been well developed prior to advents of episodes that may joss the inner head canon of the creators of those works, by in large I usually see their future works conform to show canon instead of branching off their own path to further develop their own unique universe for their creations. It has driven me up the wall to no end when that happens, but I have since long come to accept it as inevitable. It is probably part of the reason why this fandom does not seem to have the same spark as it once did for me in the past. That creative spirit just simply withered away. To leave nothing but a desolate void. Conformity being the norm.

While the Season 3 upward aren't complete atrocities, they have not done much to cultivate that sense of mystic and wonder. Instead going something more of a glorified toy commercial... Which I should mention is essentially what it is in the first place, regardless of what Faust's initial intention for the series were. In retrospect, one should have known that this would have been inevitable. But things like Twilicorn wouldn't be so divisive and controversial if they gave more time to develop it organically, to make it feel more "earned" in a sense that included her friends.

Of course for the parent company Hasbro, Twilicorn is a fine addition. More toys to sell for them.
They cannot be faulted for this, as they have stock holders to please. Even still, I have to lament what the cost is because of this toy centric design for the show's development.
>>
>>28880333
Well, I guess it comes down to headcanon in the end.
>>
PAGE THE TENTH
>>
File: 1268740.gif (736KB, 350x374px) Image search: [Google]
1268740.gif
736KB, 350x374px
>>28882470
Funny thing is I was watching this thread to see if it would die.
>>
>>28882482
We've gotten about 74% better at not letting threads die
>>
>>28882491
Haven't 3 of the last 5 threads died?
>>
>>28880665
>Your
>im
Yep, definitely Bleedin'
>>
>>28883096
Why yes they have, anon.
>>
How tangentially related to pone can a fic be before it's too autistic? Are elsewhere fics inherently terrible?
>>
>>28883482
All fanfiction is autistic and terrible. Did you think pone was somehow special in that regard?
>>
>>28883482
Elsewhere fics are bad because nobody wants alien elements. They want more of the same. That's why they're reading fanfiction and not original fiction. If they want amateur original fiction, they can slog through the heap of self-published crap on Amazon.
>>
Do ponies eat meat?
>>
>>28883999
No
Waste of good trips
Kek would be ashamed
>>
>>28883999
I've seen a lot of clop involving swallowing the sausage. does that count?
>>
five hour bump
>>
page 10
>>
>>28883999
Not usually in most fics, but I like the concept that, kinda like a few breeds of real horses, they will sometimes eat it if low on certain nutrients. End result: in Equestria, meats are like vitamin pills.
>>
>>28886270
unless you dig that xenofoalia shit. err if you consider fish meat
>>
>>28886358
Can you try making this post again, but in English this time?
>>
>>28886488
probably should have just quoted the original guy instead of you but from xenophillia, which a ton of austists have coopted details from, had ponies consume fish for sustenance. which depending on ones perspective could consider that meat
>>
>>28886511
Fish are definitely meat, I don't know why anyone would suggest otherwise. And pegasi eating fish has been a common headcanon for ages. I doubt Xenophilia was the first to popularize it.
>>
>>28886540
>I don't know why anyone would suggest otherwise
pescetarians and vegetarians. no one ever said hippies made sense
>>
last moment bump.

Best and worst episodes of this season?
>>
>>28888577
Best: Saddle Row Review
Worst: 28 Pranks Later

Fite me.
>>
>>28888605
Best: Saddle Row Review
Worst Episode of the Entire Goddam Show: The Crystalling
>>
>>28888609
This is correct.

>>28888605
Close enough
>>
>>28888619
At least The Crystalling had some good moments with Spike, Starlight, and Sunburst. 28 Pranks Later was the canon-equivalent of trying to write a MMDW fixfic, as if we didn't have enough of those already.
>>
>>28888652
We had no special expectations for 28 pranks later, and although we were still let down it was just a bad episode.

The Crystalling is an opener, it's supposed to meet a pretty high bar in terms of quality, and it disappointed sorely.
>>
>>28888652
No... it didn't have a single second of anything less than insulting and infuriating.
>>
>>28888661
I mean, I'm personally not that fond of most of the openers, so I wasn't expecting much, especially given the fact that I knew from the synopsis that they would have to juggle Flurry Heart's and Starlight/Sunburst's place in the story. But I can see why those expectations could lead to disappointment, especially with how badly handled the Flurry Heart thing has been.
>>
Bump recommendation:

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/42916/the-saga-of-dark-demon-king-ravenblood-nightblade-interior-design-alicorn

Dumb but amusing parody.
>>
Biznap
>>
>>28890104
>parody
im not sure I believe you
>>
>>28883999
>>28884043
>>28884642
>>28886270
>>28886358
>>28886511
>>28886540
Ok but let me ask you a question then.

Why would they keep pigs in a farm if they don't eat meat? There is no use for pig that isn't dead, and most of its uses are as food.
>>
>>28890980

Waste disposal. Pigs'll eat everything.

Also, fertilizer. I know "ponies just shit in the fields" is an old joke around the fandom, but there's a very good reason why AJ and co. wouldn't do that, and it's the same reason why people don't shit in their fields: your poo is full of harmful bacteria that your body's trying to get out of your system. A different species' poo, on the other hand, is much safer to use around food products.

So, AJ keeps the pigs because she can feed them garbage and get back improved crop yields.
>>
>>28890980
IIRC Faust said they do it for the truffles.

I'm not even sure that makes complete sense, honestly, but I know the pigs question was answered at some point by show staff.
>>
>implying Equestria Games isn't the worst episode of all time
>>
>>28891669
it was bad, sure. especially as the culmination of a pretty pointless arc, but there were many worse ones
>>
>>28892185
It has to be the absolute worst at least in terms of crushing expectations, right? It was hyped up for literally two entire seasons straight, and then it's just yet another shitty fucking "spike fucks up" episode.
>>
>>28892229
I thought the build up to the ponlympics was shit too and had no expectations for it

but there was plenty on an equally shit footing.
>rainbow dash is literally retarded
>griffons arent klingons, theyre venezuelans
>cadance shits out merchandise that completely destroys twilights achievements
>slice of life this only applies if youre too autistic to enjoy a joke and believe that everything that airs is incontrovertible canon
>>
[Pt. 1]

>>28879241
>she can get incredibly powerful if trained
Cutie Mark Chronicles very clearly demonstrated Twilight was incredibly powerful, she was just unable to control or manage that power. That's one of the common headcanons as to why Celestia made her her student.

>>28879466
>>28879915
It was a fic someone did about one "Checkered Reality" raping Nyx, which managed to piss off Pen Stroke fans, Reality Check fans (or at the very least apologists), and people who detest blatant soapbox attack fics. Needless to say, it got featured and the shitstorm and backlash led to the author privating it. It was the closest I've ever come to reporting a story.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/220623/reality-is-stranger-than-fiction

If you know the password (or have the archive), you can still read it.

>>28880142
Circa 1900. They have:
>large rail infrastructure
>steel i-beam skyscrapers
>dirigibles/primitive flying machines
>poor road system which suggests few internal combustion engines
>electricity (the dam)
>phones

>>28883999
I'd say yes. Higher brain functions would be very difficult without meat to bridge the gap from hunter/gatherer to agriculture. Big brains require enormous amounts of energy (your brain takes up 2% of your body mass but requires 20% of the calories you burn) Canon's kind of shruggy on it (there's the shrimp screenshot, the meat sandwich one, etc.), hence the constant debates.

>>28888577
>best
Saddle Row Review
>worst
Every Little Thing She Does pissed me off the most and made me go from being neutral about Starlight to actively disliking her, while Newbie Dash was the most disappointing.

>>28888609
Remember back when everyone shit on The Crystal Empire for being a boring two parter? If only we could have known just how boring things would get...
>>
[Pt. 2]

>>28890980
Faust fucked up and had to make the "they sniff out truffles" excuse, despite truffles never being a thing in the show and certainly not needing a pen full of dozens of pigs to hunt.

>>28892342
>he thinks Slice of Life isn't canon
Personally, I liked what they did with the griffins. Yeah, the Klingon-Griffin Empire was fun for fanfics, but canon confirming it would just make everything stale. What else could fanfics do with a "proud warrior" griffin race that hasn't already been done?

Making them Rome circa 600 threw everyone a curveball and breathed new life into the griffin headcanons.
>>
>>28892359
>breathed new life into the griffin headcanons.
except no. much like any other time that fanon is disproven, its been completely dropped. ever since griffonstone I havent seen any griffoncentric fics and i havent seen any new griffon headcanon. canon has made griffons so uninteresting that they seem to have dropped completely off the map

given a little more time one could probably make the same arguments about changelings
>>
>>28892356
>she was just unable to control or manage that power

That's what I meant. Had she not been tutored by Celestia, her power would have gone to waste, just like how we see some prodigies drop out here because school is too easy for them.
>>
>>28888605
>Worst: 28 Pranks Later
It's like a worse version of MMDW, really.

>>28892356
>Every Little Thing She Does pissed me off the most
C'mon, really? It's not even that bad of an episode.
>>
>>28892909
Well, I guess it isn't if you enjoy Star "Friendcock sucking without any actual redemption" Light. I would have followed if we actually saw some gradual change, but, from what we see, she could very well be faking the whole thing, since she goes from full evil to cocksucker in under an hour.
>>
>>28892378
>canon has made griffons so uninteresting that they seem to have dropped completely off the map
Now that you mention it I can see it
>>
plump bump
>>
eh
>>
File: calle calle.png (36KB, 313x236px) Image search: [Google]
calle calle.png
36KB, 313x236px
>>28895232
FUCKING FAKE CANUCKS USING EH LIKE IT'S A MEME FUCKING UNREALISTIC CSIS FUCK YOU FUCK CHINK AZURA FUCK AMERICA
>>
>>28895243
What
>>
>>28895962
>Being this new

go and stay go
>>
>>28895243
Here we witness what appears to be the first signs of unaddressed withdrawal to 7DSJ.
>>
>>28895243
Comme dit le "eh" dans la Francais Quebeqois?

...or something.
>>
>>28895969
youd think a shit addict would know that shitazuras name was one word
>>
>>28895969
I wish Shinzakura would post some kind of timeline for updates. There was no new chapter this week and I have no idea when to expect the next one. It's especially disappointing because he posted back in September saying 7DSJ would be complete "in the next month or so".
>>
>Regarding carnivory >>28883999
>>28891071
>>28891287
Like this guy >>28892359 said, why would you need so many of them? They're also not sapient as far as I can tell, which makes them ideal candidates for slaughtering and eating.

I would also like to point out that there's no reason why ponies need to be herbivorous. In fact, ponies have some physical traits of carnivores. Primarily the large, forward-facing eyes. Like humans, as well as felines, canines, owls, bears, and others. Almost no herbivores have that feature, needing situational awareness over depth perception. Their dentistry seems to be more indicative of an omnivorous lifestyle, being more like a human's than a horse's.

Also what this dude said here >>28892356 which I didn't actually know, which is pretty cool. Thanks for that bit of info. This only cements further my headcanon.

>Regarding approximating temporal correlation between our world and theirs >>28880142
>>28880353
>>28880427
No, it is fair to make these comparisons, simply because the show is made by humans, so there will be a crossover of devices and technologies between the worlds. If they have airships, we know what comes after airships, so we know where they are as far as aviation technology goes. The argument about what time period the show most closely resembles is further aided by the show's creators giving it a fairly specific art direction, so there's more than just one thing that lets us make these connections.
>>28880379
I'd say it's more that Ponyville managed to avoid industrialization, at least for the time being. I think it's safe to say that Equestria doesn't have a population of more than a few million, but also covers a huge swath of land. If you look at the United States even today, let alone in 1900, industrialization did not reach small towns. Ponyville's economy is dominated by farming, although a sizable service economy has cropped up to support it. Most goods are likely imported from big cities.
cont
>>
>>28897038 cont from time frame
The early 1900s were dominated by travelling salesmen. It's how IBM's John Watson got his start, and countless others. I think what >>28892356 said about 1900 is about right. A small town with fairly little outside influence except that its the nearest township to the Capital, so it has a slightly high culture element, but is also too small to support the large scale industry that supports the nation. It's likely that the farms send goods to the major port/river cities by train, which supports their economy. The Apple's also have an esteemed reputation, so there's a likelihood they enjoy a premium on their product, despite the massive quantities they produce.

>>28892359
>>28892378
>>28893505
There is one that touches on them, and I'm pretty sure it was written after that episode. It's ok, I'm not far in at all and it's incomplete; I like the writing style but it feels like it needs to be more fleshed out.
>>
>>28897089
Woops forgot to link it lel http://www.fimfiction.net/story/341625/around-the-world-in-81-days-and-other-problems-caused-by-leap-years
>>
>>28896808
>in the next month or so
isnt this still about a week in june 2015? or was it june 2014?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
>That feel that you will never make a masterpiece

>That feel that you will never ever make someone cry or cheer for your writing.

>No matter how hard you struggle, no matter how many stories you put out.

>You will always be bleedingequine.

>You will always be something that never creates anything valuable.

>All you will have is self-deprecation and will power.

>But, you will never make that masterpiece.
>>
>>28897908
>you could create a new account thats not named bleedin

>then start writing a little bit of not shit instead of a whole lot of shit

>you know- like we've been telling you for three goddamned years now
>>
>>28892909
It's made much worse by everything around it, from Fluttershy's "you're accusing him of being downright evil" comment to AJ, Rarity, and Pinkie getting more pissed over a shitty cruise than being mindraped.

The biggest issue with the episode itself is there's no justification for her doing it whatsoever. Twilight had to go comedically insane for 18 minutes before she whipped it out. Starlight? Her friends shrug at her suggestion so her gut reaction is mind control. With no empathy at all for her supposed friends. Then, any potential conflict or lasting issues from her disturbing actions are swept under the rug because we can't have any loose ends when an episode's over.

>>28895243
I suggesting getting a piping hot cup of maple syrup from Tim Horton's while watching an American team hoist Lord Stanley's Cup as they have every year since 1994.

>>28897908
>tfw someone will never like your story enough to draw fanart of it
>>
How do we alll feel about the Upheaval series? I read the first two years ago, but didn't read the later ones. Are they any good, or did the story lose its way?
>>
>>28898399
>>28892923
I just realized that I mixed up the TrixiexStarlight episode with the Starlight goes mad and does really really retarded things one and retract my original statement.

The only good bit in the entire episode is the nightmare fuel Fluttershy.
>>
>>28896627
>A play on a name must be only one word

Okay

>>28896221

Il n'y a pas d'équivalent à "eh" en français, c'est vraiment un stéréotype anglophone.

>>28880142

Easily 1900, maybe even into 1910-20. Proven by the use of telephones, having large industrial cities but horsepower still being a major transportation asset slowly converting to vapor, prominent use of lighter than air ships rather than heavier than air ones and dams (which aren't really that new, there were modernish dams in Canuckland since the 1910s).

Of course, Equestria is probably much more advanced than us in fields like medicine and their equivalent to our electronics because of magic, which is utterly ridiculous and overpowered.
>>
>>28898515
I've only read the first one but I thought it was a gripping read and world, if you're not turned off by "dark war+ponies", or all the alicorns being paranoid, idiots or both.
The only reason I haven't gone farther yet is the hinting at a love triangle between Twilight, the lead OC and Applejack. There's like four wars on, ain't nopony got time for dat.
>>
File: k,hgc.gif (502KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
k,hgc.gif
502KB, 600x600px
>>28869646
I have a few projects. Used to be in the PonyFall collaboration but that ended long ago. I hardly have the time or inspiration to really write anymore, sadly. But I try whenever it comes.
>>
>>28898515
>>28898749
There are worse warfics out there. and upheaval may actually be the first warfic that didnt stick flutterbutter, rara and ponka on the frontlines as ninjacommandos.

That being said, the entire premise is retarded

"Princess celery! I learned that the entire world outside of equestrias borders is a shithole! we should let the tourism board know this"
>Twilight sparkle, you shouldn't know about that. Since you're my favorite student, adopted daughter and control a magic superweapon that is our only defense against everything I'll only banish you forever instead of killing you
"Hey we're her friends and won't let you condemn her to a brutal death alone"
>Oh okay, the other parts of equestrias only means of defense you can be banished forever too

I mean really? I stuck with it until the end of book one, or the beginning of book two, whenever celestia gets depowered and becomes even more useless before I gave up. the shipping foreshadowing wasnt doing it any favors either
>>
>>28898749
>>28898815
I kinda feared that I was remembering it with rose tinted glasses
>>
>>28899049
it was one of those fics that would have been immensely better if the M6 were replaced with OCs. Then at least it would have been both plausible and understandable for them to be banished. The element bearers? not so much
>>
>>28899548
Is it at least worth reading?
>>
>>28899795
Not unless you've got nothing else to read.
Its full of flawed logic, idiot balls, forced shipping and plot contrivance. Probably hasn't aged well either
>>
_______________________________________________________page 9______________________________________________________________________________________________________

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
>>
You ever read a fic that was so shit that you marked it as unread after so you would never be reminded that you clicked it at all?
>>
>>28900799
I track everything I read religiously, but those fics that are really fucking awful I add to a special bookshelf, and every once in a while I open it and question my faith in humanity.
>>
>>28900818
Link to bookshelf?
>>
>>28900818
same. Ive got a shelf for everything I've read, and another one for all of the terribad shit that even I couldnt stand
>>
>>28900799
No. If its that bad i don't want to risk accidentally starting to read it again
>>
So anyone have any riffs, or do anything from the parody thread?
>>
test
>>
>>28903108
OH FUCKING FINALLY
God damn it, my ISP got banned again due to "abuse".
Go to hell, Hiro. I'm not buying a 4chan pass.
>>
>>28903114
The entire ISP?
I frequently have to reset my connection since apparently a fuckton of sprints IPs have been permabanned for posting CP, and those which havent been banned for CP have been banned for ban evasion. its a pain in the ass trying to post sometimes
>>
>>28898515
I haven't finished the second one yet, but I feel like things went off the rails when the whole "alicorn pantheon invades" subplot started up and kicked the realistic and much more interesting war plots out of the way. I don't give a shit about Celestia's relationship with her dad or whatever--there's enough family drama going on with her brother as it is--I care about the war.

>>28898548
That episode was okay although Celestia acting out of character to drive the plot forward irritated me.

>>28900799
No. Then I might totally forget about it and then wander upon it years later to repeat the horrible experience over again.
>>
oh this was disapointing

Its yours
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/271607/its-yours

62k words
[M] [sex] [AU] [comedy] [human] [mystery] [romance] [SoL]

A guy goes out to a bar, picks up a hot chick, takes her home and fucks her. A couple of weeks later a pissed off horsegod forces her way into his house and says shes pregnant.

Yeah its a cracky premise, no doubting that, but it was wacky enough to sound entertaining. And I'll stand by that despite the tags on this story and the fact its written in first person.

The problem here is in the protagonist. This comes off as a fucking disgusting self insert with super edgy backstory. Shit is just awful.

So this mentally unstable victim of child abuse meekly goes to equestria with celestia because shes pregnant and apparently theres some law that says alicorns arent allowed to fuck without being married and if they do they get deposed. so he abandons his home and awesome job because of something thats technically not his fucking problem and bullshit happens

The premise was nutty enough that I wanted to like it, but its shit. dropped halfway through
>>
>>28904477
I'm kinda curious, what's the mystery part about?
Do they wonder who's the father for half of the story?
>>
>>28906042
>mystery

Mystery is, once again, 2spooky4u, as Fimfiction doesn't seem to grasp the concept of crime stories except in that edgy Detrot noir story.
>>
>>28906056
>except in that edgy Detrot noir story.
Which, by the way, is actually pretty good as far as internet fanfiction goes.
>>
>>28906273
Never said it wasn't.
>>
>>28906960
>implying I implied that
>>
>>28906968
>Implying I implied that you implied that

Oh wait I did
>>
>>28906056
>Mystery is, once again, 2spooky4u, as Fimfiction doesn't seem to grasp the concept of crime stories
I vow to get around making a proper mystery story once I'm done with uni.
>>
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/343272/first-pony-plural
Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy get sent on a friendship mission, while disguised as each other.

This is a nice little fic that feels just like an episode from the show. The premise is a little odd, but other than that it's very good.
>>
File: DnDAngst.png (2MB, 1000x4500px) Image search: [Google]
DnDAngst.png
2MB, 1000x4500px
Page 8 bumperoo

Also, lets talk philosophy
Moreso, what would you say the philosophy of ponies would be, considering how all of them are innate created with a purpose or meaning, their cutie mark, and religion as a concept is more or less nonexistent to them as they deal with extremely powerful entities that can manipulate fundamental aspects of nature on a regular basis and aren't even considered deities but instead rulers.
Likewise, aside from the occasional monster attack or invasion by evil entity, they deal with few serious, longlasting conflicts that would influence their ideology.

To be honest, considering how ponies have very little philisophical thinking to do in order for them to discover their purpose in life, and the general lack of societal conflicts, I would think that their philosophy on life would be extremely simplistic, something akin to being able to make friends or something, or perhaps very basic Socratic philosophy

What do you guys think?
>>
>>28909383
Ponies must be incapable of higher metacognition, therefore philosophy does not exist in Equestria.
Because, come on, how would it be a happy fun land filled with flowers and joy if all the ponies were nihilists?
>>
>>28909421
Im not saying its impossible for them to think of higher metacognition
What Im wondering is what would that metacognition end up being
Im just considering that their ethical philosophies would be sorely lacking because of the general environment they live in
>>
>>28909435
Imanuel Kanter's Categorical Impallative, obviously.
Act so your behavior may become the template of all horsiness.
>>
>>28904477
>Human
>Mature/Sex
>max tags
>disgusting self insert with super edgy backstory
Color me surprised.
>>
>>28909383
Hellenistic Stoicism: "Our destiny is set in stone. In order to live an happy life, you have to forego the passions fruitlessly going against fate and accept it." This isp retty obvious.

Spinoza: "Morality is a mathemical equation, in which a big enough good deed can cancel out an evil deed of the same magnitude. The actions that make you and/or the others unhappy are immoral, the actions tha make you and/or the others happy are moral." With all redemption going on, it wouldn't be surprising.
Leibniz: "Every definite and compact mass of matter is a monad. There's a hierarchy, placing objects at the lowest step of the pyramid, plants and simpler animals at the second-lowest, non-sapient animals in the middle and so on, until there's the Ultimate Monad at the top, God, who regulates other monads in order to make the best of possible worlds."

Kantian Philosophy: Categorical Imperative anyone?
>>
I was wondering, am I shooting myself in the foot if I start out my story with a chapter focused on introducing OC villains that are the antagonists of the story?

I personally don't mind OCs as long as they're not shit. Is this the case with most readers on FiMfiction? Or will people lose interest as soon as they read the first paragraph?
>>
>>28910201
Are they all just chilling in their volcano lair all mwa-ha-haing at each other and arguing about whos the evilest of them all?
>>
>>28909951
yeah I know. the premise was fun, the execution not so much.
Add this one to the list of shit that could have been fun if a competent writer took a stab at it
>>
>>28910231
Haha, no. Just a character with skills asking a character with the money to help her.

I'm just worried that people won't give it a chance and think that OC = shit. But maybe I'm just being overly anxious once again.
>>
>>28910201
Nobody minds OC as long as it's well written.
It's actually more interesting to discover a new character than the same old we've been with for the last six (6) years.
>>
>>28910523
How about a well-written blatant self insert OC?
>>
>>28910525
>How about a well-written blatant self insert OC?
Don't™

If it's self-aware and you're a good writer you could maybe spin as a comedy or as a sarcastic/ironic thing.
But in general self inserts are not well written. It always turns into some inane bullshit where either the OC bangs all the chicks and everyone else is clinically stupid, or it's some apathetic angsty depressing woe is me emo duck cringefest.
>>
>>28910536
If I were to write a self-insert fic, I'd kill the OC by the second chapter.
>>
File: artOfEquestria.jpg (3MB, 3300x2550px) Image search: [Google]
artOfEquestria.jpg
3MB, 3300x2550px
>>
Voicefag's alive

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sT0LugoHeWQ
>>
>>28909951
Self inserts might not be completely bad if they werent all written by suicidal beta cock smokers
>>
File: lyraBonbonScreen.jpg (76KB, 516x455px) Image search: [Google]
lyraBonbonScreen.jpg
76KB, 516x455px
Page nine again. You fags need to write more or I'll run out of good things to read!
>>
>>28913451
>Implying anything we write is good.

You ever try writing a comedy fic, anon? You seem to have a talent for it.
>>
page 10
>>
So, https://www.fimfiction.net/story/327635/iron-wills-daughter has been sitting in the feature box for a few days now.

It's incomplete.

Its author has 39 incomplete/hiatused/canceled stories to his name.

Why do people keep giving guys like this chances?
>>
>>28914711
Believe it or not, it's possible to derive enjoyment from a fic even if it's never properly finished
>>
File: 1479622301674.png (95KB, 408x505px) Image search: [Google]
1479622301674.png
95KB, 408x505px
>>28909383
>>
File: suffering.png (100KB, 408x505px) Image search: [Google]
suffering.png
100KB, 408x505px
>>28915513
Improved version
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0u5hh8REWc

I like to make animated intros for stories that I've either written, am currently writing, or will be writing.

This is an intro for an upcoming story of mine known as On We Go. It's set in the alternate "Crystal War" universe. Set three months after the end of the war, it is also set three years after the Crystal Plague, unleashed by Sombra, wiped out the majority population, reducing Equestria to ruins.

It follows you and Rainbow Dash, both former soldiers of the Royal Service - national extension of Royal Guard. After she saves your life, you both traverse what's left in hopes of finding sanctuary.

I'm hoping to improve on second story so that it fits for me more, and to work on character development.
>>
>>28916105

Shameful edit - three MONTHS after the plague.
>>
>>28916105
>It follows you
...aaaaaand you lost me.
>>
>>28916152

I haven't gotten to the part where that happens, so I could easily change to 1st person.

Either way, I'm working on 2nd person.
>>
>>28916209
don't
>>
>>28916209

By that, I mean I'm going to improve on 2nd person in future stories.
>>
>>28916211

Don't what?
>>
>>28916213
>>28916218
don't write 2nd person
>>
>>28916222

I've always wanted to know why some people don't like 2nd person. Just curious.
>>
>>28914711
>Why do people keep giving guys like this chances?
insanity. I wish there were a way to downvote entire accounts.

faggots like that are the exact reason why I'll only give time to completed work
>>
>>28916245

My personal belief is that he tries to tackle these stories all at once. He releases a ton of stories and tries to work on them all at the same time, and eventually never has the time for any of them.

I've suffered through that phase and I'm trying to tone it down a bit. But it's a tough phase to break.
>>
oh fuck

hospice cookies?

whassare hosper cookies?

hosped cookies bake in the oven, my Obi-wan

like yawn, yallathrawn, on, the cherry dom, in a brom, whatcha doin'?!

boot, inathroot, in, a cherry dong,

give, you, SMOOT!

rayquaza

obligatory mlp reference / oat, gary throat, scary boat, stroke, oh my goat

goat equals gary

gary in my long johns

pony on the brink

of brunch

shake my heart out, trumpet sound

bitch
>>
>>28916368
from page 3?
>>
>>28916396

What?
>>
>>28916388
And yet, still better than 50% of fimfiction.
>>
>>28866480
Just bullshit some sort of anti-magic device into existence.
>>
File: 1473703500056-mlp.png (268KB, 713x737px) Image search: [Google]
1473703500056-mlp.png
268KB, 713x737px
>>28916412
i like you
>>
Here's something we don't seem to have asked in a while. What's your favorite fanfic?

Or at least, what's your top five?
>>
>>28916521
That's a loaded question (and I know TSG is going to mention that Lion King fanfic again).

My all-time favourite fimfic is 'Keeping It Simple'. I know some people in this thread have strong feelings on the matter, and they make a point, but the story resonates with me, and I just really like the narrative as a whole.

Other than that one... 'Eyes On You' is the standard by which I judge every long, slow-cooking romance story.

'Twilight Sparkle of the Royal Guard' takes me back to old timey adventure and pulp adventure stories while selling me a solid romance and a great AU.

'Carousel' gave me a hard-on for filling the niche of very slow-building, atmospheric horror that doesn't rely on shock, gore, or characters holding the idiot-ball.

Oh, and I finally got around reading 'Dangerous Business' and I absolutely loved the way it seamlessly weaved the world-building into the story.

There you go, five stories.
>>
ha
>>
>>28916521
"The Celestial Mechanics in Midsummer" takes my top spot, easy. A little comedy and a dash of melancholy, mixed with some truly excellent writing.

"Lost Cities" rubs me right in my old Dungeons and Dragons spots. Telling a story through environments alone is difficult, but the gradual understanding is wonderful.

"To Try for the Sun" is a little overwrought, but is still the best iteration of the concept. It's short and punchy.

I'm going to second >>28916683 here. "Twilight Sparkle of the Royal Guard" is tightly constructed and solid all the way through.

Let's see here...

"Twilight Sparkle Gets a Free Salad" is consistently funny, and contains some of my favorite single lines from any fic.

And despite its many, many flaws, "Eternal" remains on my favorites list for a good reason.
>>
>>28916521
>What's your favorite fanfic?
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/336121/the-religion-of-peace

I love it. It's a work of art. Shame it has so many downvotes.
>>
File: 1475838945009-mlp.gif (519KB, 471x471px) Image search: [Google]
1475838945009-mlp.gif
519KB, 471x471px
>>28916521

I Wish I Might, by RagingSemi

Our Last Goodbye, by RagingSemi

Twilight Sky Over Canterlot, by TwilightFlopple

Que Sera, Sera, by Ponydora Prancypants

Friendship is Optimal: Caelum Est Conterrens, by Chatoyance
>>
>>28916521
This might be a few more than five because it's hard to judge them only against each other. Instead, have my favorites by category.
Adventure/world building - Lost and Found by Cloudy Skies
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/38138/lost-and-found
OC-centered - Project: Sunflower by Hoopy McGee
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/5170/project-sunflower
Crossover - For Queen and Country by Gherkin
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/64146/for-queen-and-country
Comedy - Progress by Andrew Joshua Talon
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/339/progress
AU - Rainbooms and Royalty by Trinary
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/30097/rainbooms-and-royalty
Action/Dark - Hard Reset series by Eakin
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/67362/hard-reset
Slice of Life/Feel-good - Grumps! by ambion
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/158019/grumps
Shipping - Twice as Bright by Cloudy Skies
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/84903/twice-as-bright
>>
[Pt. 1]

>tfw The Descendent hasn't been online in 22 weeks
>tfw he was complaining of severe depression and leg problems in one of his last blog posts
If he doesn't do his annual "put a Santa hat on your avatar" blog post after Thanksgiving, I'm gonna get really sad that he's likely ripping in peace.

>>28910201
Yes, you are. It's almost always better to slowly drizzle information to the reader over the course of the story, rather than dump it all at once.

You lose a lot of potential elements--mystery over who the villain is, a memorable "first" scene for the villain, nuanced motives or characterization that are paced correctly-- all for almost no reward. And I really can't emphasize the "first scene" thing enough. You only ever get one introduction, after all, and you want to make it count for all it's worth.

It's also strange from a structural standpoint. When I start a fic, I don't really care or necessarily want to know who the bad guy is. I'm not reading a story abut the antagonist, I'm reading one about the protagonist. I want to know about him, since the whole thing's going to be centered around him. The villain I only start caring about when the plot starts to wind up.

>>28914711
How often do you click on an author's profile when you look at a story? I know I never do.

>>28916105
>it follows you
For what purpose?

It actually interested me until that was revealed.

.>>28916209
I'd recommend 3rd person. Not only is it easiest to write (1st requires you to really get into the head of a character that had no dialogue in canon), but is the most versatile, allowing for POV changes, omniscient information, and more detailed narration.
>>
[Pt. 2]

>>28916243
Second person is almost exclusively for command narration (you do this, then you need to to do that). Using it for a story shatters immersion for me, because I'm not actually in the story. If I were, it's very unlikely I'd act like the character does, look at the things the narration says I'm looking at, or talk the way the dialogue indicates.

In addition, it handicaps the story. First person lets the reader dive into a character's point fo view--essentially get inot someone's head--and look at the story from an intimate, personla perspective. Third person opens the doors wide open and lets the author run free. Perspective shifts happen, narration is rich and detailed, the audience gets let in on exclusive information the characters don't.

Second person causes the reader to scratch their head wondering why "they" are doing something they clearly wouldn't actually do.

>>28916521
1) Chronicles of the Pridelands, Shadows of the Makei
2) Rafiki's Tales: Evening
3) The Lunar Rebellion
4) Night's Favoured Child RIP
5) Rites of Ascension

>>28916683
>that Lion King fanfic
Two, actually. Rafiki's Tales had great characterization and action while Chronicles has worldbuilding richer than chocolate cheesecake. I've still yet to see an MLP fic come close to beating either.

Also, seconding Carousel. Dat climax was 10/10. It also gave me an itch for pre-show Ponyville that I've yet to be able to scratch.
>>
>>28916959
>Yes, you are. It's almost always better to slowly drizzle information to the reader over the course of the story, rather than dump it all at once.

I'm not dumping anything. In fact, I might be dumping too little in the beginning. I deliberately provide questions but no answers. One of the villains isn't even named or accurately described in the beginning (this serves a purpose in the story).

The thing about fanfiction is that the reader already cares about the protagonist if they're from the source material and knows everything about them, so they don't need to be introduced. Also, an MLP example of introducing the villain first is Magic Duel, amd I'm quite fond of its opening scene.

There's plenty of stories that introduce antagonists first, as long as they don't reveal too much and make them threatening. The beginnings of A Game Of Thrones and Star Wars are interesting examples and my favourites. I don't think it's structurally odd.
>>
>>28916245
>I wish there were a way to downvote entire accounts
It could be possible to write a userscript that automatically presses every dislike button it finds on a page. I know there's a reddit downvote script like that at least.
>>
>>28916521
Murky Number Seven is still my favourite, despite being based on a mediocre, overrated fanfic.
It's a story about a born slave who wants to be free. It has incredible characters and character development, and the prose itself is really good as well. Many parts have this "cinematic" sort of feel to them, without feeling out of place.
It's long and has some filler here and there, but I think it all has a purpose. I definitely recommend it to anyone looking for something a bit longer, even if they didn't read the original FoE (although I'd recommend at least checking up on some basic things, like who Red Eye is and what RadAway and RadSafe do).

You could argue that it's barely even MLP fanfiction, but I personally don't care.
>>
R.I.P. Persona EG

I swear to God, if that motherfucker doesn't finish the fucking story, I'll ask him very nicely to continue because I can't control what he does with his time.
>>
>>28917072
>R.I.P. Persona EG
And nothing of value was lost
>>
>>28916521
Through the Well of Pirene - My favorite fic. Great adventure and characters, and the worldbuilding is unparalleled, beautifully merging Earth mythology/theology and Equestrian history.

Lost Cities - My favorite "experimental"/"avant-garde" fic, the unique premise is used to great effect to tell a story that could not be told otherwise. CiG's writing is also top-notch, really bringing to the story to life with his excellent descriptive writing.

Fractured Sunlight - The best Sunset fic out there (yes, better than Long Road to Friendship), it's funny at times, poignant at others, and the characters all feel fleshed out and believable, with real trauma that is handled in a mature manner when it could so easily have been handled in an angsty or cringy manner.

The Gentle Nights: Audience of One - The best romance fic IMO, it builds up the relationship slowly and realistically, while keeping the pacing at a decent clip.

A Gay Old Time - My favoirte comedy fic. Not as good as the other fics on this list, but it's the one that got the most chuckles from me, so I think it deserves a place here.

>>28916683
I didn't think anyone here particularly dislikes Keeping it Simple. It's just that the author tagged it as Comedy when it's one of the more depressing fics on fimfiction.
>>
>>28917569
>The best Sunset fic out there
Fractured Sunlight is pretty great, the only thing that kept me from really liking it is just how shitty of a scientist human Twilight is.

Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but the story is always hammering how she's supposed to be this great scientific mind, and then you see her completely disregard the scientific method, make amateurish mistakes regarding lab safety, fails to question ground-breaking aspects of the earth-shattering phenomenon happening in front of her, and I just have to wonder why.

Oh, and the horse puns were starting to get a bit grating, especially when they were tecked in the middle of very emotional scenes.

But still, it was an awesome read, and a great romance.
>>
>>28917611
She doesn't really discard the Scientific Method though, does she? She's trying to figure out how all the magic stuff works by running tests on them and stuff, and while that does end up in the back-seat compared to the relationship stuff, it's mentioned several times that she's still studying that. We don't see the scientific method step-by-step, but she's not being an arbitrary skeptic or rejecting evidence or anything. As for the whole Equestria thing, she was still trying to study it even when Sunset told her not to, trying to obtain various books and artifacts.

As for the lab safety thing, I only remember the ending, and I think her stupidity can be justified given her emotional and mental state. Even she realizes what she did is stupid immediately after doing it.
>>
>>28917297
I need my fucking conclusion
>>
>>28917641
I don't want to re-read the story (not right now, at least) but I can remember being bothered by this since early in the story and stopping several times to wonder why isn't SciTwi living up the the first half of her nickname.

I'll probably read it again at some point and see if I just had a bad first impression.
>>
File: rarity cumshot.png (393KB, 645x499px) Image search: [Google]
rarity cumshot.png
393KB, 645x499px
Anyone know any half-decent fics about someone getting an unusual power and having to hide it from everyone? Some superhero/paranormal stuff, maybe with the character sharing his secret with someone, like Danny Phantom or Ben 10 or something.
Background Pony sort of qualifies, with Lyra being unable to share her secrets for long enough.

Don't question my shitty childish tastes, please.
>>
>>28917856
Carie
>>
>>28917865
Carie?
>>
>>28917909
Carrie, I believe.
>>
>>28917939
But that's not a fic, and it's not what I'm looking for.
>>
>>28916521

Well, prior to him losing his absolute shit, calling us faggots, then ragequitting, I actually enjoyed a lot of the stories Darf made before he deleted them. I still read some ones I haven't read before on archive sites.

He was one of the better authors, to be honest. Crowley's isn't bad either. Many of their stories are worth the top 5.
>>
>>28917969
>Crowley
Wasn't that the guy who did a bunch of very formulaic second person ocxcanon short story/clopfics?
Not sure why he would ever rate on anyone's top 5
>>
>>28916962

In honesty, the problem with 3rd person when it comes to adding OCs is that, sometimes, even their name can make it seem like they're either Mary Sues or more than other characters.

1st person is great, mainly because of the same reason you describe.

I won't decide what the story will be viewed in based on one comment, but I really like the way you explained it!
>>
>>28917995

Yeah. Personally, I liked his stories, and still enjoy them. A bit of a shame he doesn't publish more often, but he's still always active on the site, which is just as good.

They may be formulaic to some, but I think they're just fun little reads.

I love his Twilight sequel.
>>
>>28917998
>even their name can make it seem like they're either Mary Sues or more than other characters
That's a flaw with the character, then. Not with the point of view.

My problem with 2nd person POV, as it was already mentioned, is the dissonance it creates with the reader because every time you read "Rainbow Dash flies next to you as you go down the road" you subconsciously know you're not walking down a road with Rainbow Dash. It puts a barrier that prevents you from developing a closer connection to the characters and getting invested in the story, because every line of dialogue further hammers down that dissonance, and that gets worse if you try to expand upon the feelings of the characters while using second person.

Saying "fear grips you as you watched the large ursa coming closer and closer" doesn't work the same way as describing how another character is afraid because you know you're not being pounced by an ursa, but rather in the safety of the other side of the screen. You'd be imposing thoughts and feelings onto the reader that they don't actually feel. I may feel afraid for the character's fate, but not for myself, I know I'm alright, and trying to spin the narrative to fit that model makes it lose its impact.

That's why 2nd person (arguably) works for smutfics, since you're already sort of putting yourself in the action of the story--unless you're exclusively into voyeurism--therefore you're already willing to let the narrative guide "your" actions.

Ultimately, it's your call to choose a point of view, but I strongly urge you not to choose second person.
>>
>>28918077

There's a chance I might do second-person for commonly clop/smutfics, but I have been considering the change to 1st/3rd person for a while.

I'll keep this in mind though. Thanks!
>>
>>28917998
>the problem with 3rd person when it comes to adding OCs is that, sometimes, even their name can make it seem like they're either Mary Sues or more than other characters.
>the problem with 3rd person
>your OC sounds like a Mary Sue because of third person

Great thought was behind this intricate conclusion.

As both your repliers said, 2nd person is kind of useless, since you don't get any advantage from it. You're stuck in one character without being able to realistically (without "they thought" or "you thought", which can be problematic if the reader doesn't think the exact same way as your OC) convey their thoughts or feelings, and you're stuck outside them without the omniscience a third person narrator brings. You've got the worst of both worlds without the best.

Furthermore, it's telling the reader what to do, which they didn't come to. You read pony fiction to free yourself, not be dictated to feel X or do Y by some fat autistic author.
>>
>>28917856
>fics about someone getting an unusual power and having to hide it from everyone?
7DSJ
It's the main reason I'm still reading that fic
>>
>>28920001
But isn't that whole fic supposed to be shameless garbage?
>>
Cyoas on fimfiction. Fun idea or retarded shit?
>>
>>28917998
>the problem with 3rd person when it comes to adding OCs is that, sometimes, even their name can make it seem like they're either Mary Sues or more than other characters.
Have you considered maybe just giving your OC a name that DOESN'T make them sound like a raging sue?

>I won't decide what the story will be viewed in based on one comment, but I really like the way you explained it!
On top of the reasons the other anons gave you, the problem I usually have is that the second-person character eventually does something that I would obviously never do. Characters behaving unrealistically is still a problem in 1st or 3rd person, but in 2nd it's really unbearable.
>>
>>28920993
>Have you considered maybe just giving your OC a name that DOESN'T make them sound like a raging sue?

The how will people who read it know that my OC is someone important unless his name is Prince Razor Shadow the Forsaken One?
>>
>>28920819

Actual CYOAs, like http://www.fimfiction.net/story/22369/choose-your-own-adventure-brony-hero-of-equestria or http://www.fimfiction.net/story/178769/the-purloined-pony are fun and there aren't enough good ones. In fact, those are the only two decent ones I know of, so if that's what you're asking about, you should totally make one.

Comment-driven stories like you see on chans aren't really a good fit for FiMFiction.
>>
>>28917012
>The thing about fanfiction is that the reader already cares about the protagonist if they're from the source material and knows everything about them,

I couldn't give a single fuck about most of the mishandledponies in the show, and I know most of their stuff and all of them are in the show material.

>There's plenty of stories that introduce antagonists first, as long as they don't reveal too much and make them threatening. The beginnings of A Game Of Thrones and Star Wars are interesting examples and my favourites. I don't think it's structurally odd.

There are also plenty who introduce the protagonist first, since that's why you're sticking to the story mostly. Usually, you get "Hi, I'm X, living a normal life in my normal crib, this is what drives me", followed by "Oh no, Y ruined my normal life, I must now do Z to bring it back". That's the thing you stick in for, not watching your super duper cool black and red antagonist fuck virgins.

Unless it's some sequel with a set antagonist, introducing him first removes all suspense from the story, as you already know who is going to do what for what reason to spike up the plot chart. If you bring your protagonist in first, you don't know where trouble comes from, and, by inferring from the expo, you can try to guess an almost infinite amount of problems. It's a subtle, but effective infodump.

I really don't know why you're choosing Star Wars, since that's not what it's doing. It shows a red ship attacked by big evil ship with big evil guy. We know he's the trouble, but why? Who is that Darth Vader? What drives him? Is he simply a space policemen stopping some criminals? Why is the drone so important? It's almost barely a prologue, and the real starting scene is in the desert, when we meet Luke, living a calm life and then striving to come back to it by defeating the big bad Empire.
>>
calling it now - 7DSJ update this week.

I can feel it in the air.
>>
>>28921822
>introducing him first removes all suspense from the story, as you already know who is going to do what for what reason
Even the shittiest fics I've read don't tell you outright who the villain is and what they're planning. Most villain-intro prologues are vague about the villain's identity (omitting their name or exact appearance, for example) and/or the villain's plan. Some brief mentions of the villain's abilities and goals means the readers will be waiting to see how it all intersects with the protagonists' lives.
>>
>>28921759
Yeah CYOA greens are pretty shit and not suited for fimfiction (thought hat hasnt stopped a few people from posting them there)

I must have had a hundred of those old CYOA books as a kid. I enjoyed them especially because of the inherent rereadability that comes with taking alternate paths

But I'm not sure if writing one would be for me. In addition to coming up with several plotlines and seeing multiple alternate endings to those plotlines you would literally have to have the entire thing completed and publish 100+ chapters at once. without posting updates that means youve got literally one shot at glory otherwise all of that work will fade into obscurity in a day
>>
>>28922000
Waste of trips.

>Even the shittiest fics I've read don't tell you outright who the villain is and what they're planning

>>28910201
>I was wondering, am I shooting myself in the foot if I start out my story with a chapter focused on introducing OC villains that are the antagonists of the story?

You sure you haven't got Alzheimer's? Or are you a different Anon?

>Some brief mentions of the villain's abilities and goals means the readers will be waiting to see how it all intersects with the protagonists' lives.

If you have some kind of inferring and interpretation ability, you'll know pretty well what the vilain wants to do if you are introduced to his goals and power, which, again, removes all suspense of an unknown "élément déclencheur" (forgot how to write it in English, thing that kickstarts a story). If you don't introduce me to his goals and characteristics, why are you even introducing a guy for a whole chapter? Mystery is good, but complete blindness about a guy you're talking to me about for at least 1000 words seems a bit useless.
>>
have their been any fics where the protagonist was the villain?

I recall a couple of cutesy short stories about sombra or chrysalis being rehabilitated from their PoV, but I cant think of any fics that have the villain doing villain shit as the main character
>>
>>28922027
Different anon. And "introducing" doesn't mean giving their whole life story.

>complete blindness about a guy you're talking to me about for at least 1000 words seems a bit useless
Hey, you did such a great job beating up that first strawman, so why not set up a second one!

Giving a little bit of info about the villain is a perfectly fine hook. It gives the reader some idea of what's happening behind the scenes, which can help build a sense of anticipation during the transition from "normal life" to "shit hit the fan".
>>
>>28922072
Protagonist is by definition the character the story focuses on, whether he's good or bad, so yes, there are definitely lots of them out there.

>>28922090

>"introducing" doesn't mean giving their whole life story.

Personally, as I've stated, if you do like the other anon and use an entire chapter on a character you're not going to tell us what his drive, passion, values or goal are, it's a waste of a chapter.

I just don't think it's a good idea to go out of context of the story to introduce an obvious antagonist. It just gives it away too easily, when you could make doubt hang on and your readers hooked to know who's causing all the shit till later parts of the story.
>>
>>28922129
I mean, in Television, having the pre-opening credits scene show your villain-of-the-week is a pretty standard narrative technique. In literature too, a prologue where some shadowy figures talk vaguely about the details of their "grand plan" or some innocent guy stumbles upon the villain doing villainy things and gets killed is not uncommon. And of course, there's the classic prologue that opens with the bad guys killing a bunch of good guys before enacting the next phase of his evil plan, at which point chapter one starts.

This is a good example:
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/268295/1/the-dusk-guard-beyond-the-borderlands/prologue---three-distantly-related-moments

However, these are all good ideas for prologues. If your first true chapter is going to focus on the antagonists before the protagonists, then I'd be a bit worried.
>>
>>28922318
Oh, I should also warn you that the link is to the prologue of a sequel, and contains spoilers for the previous story.
>>
>>28916521
>http://www.fimfiction.net/story/268391/mortal-coil
One of my all time favorites. It's not super well written (mostly grammar and spelling stuff). I've only read it once. But the story itself is so compelling that I was willing to get past all the little things and fall in love with the big picture. If you think holistic is made up of all the little things, it's not at all for you. It feels like a video game at times. The chapters get stupid long toward the end. The dialogue is pretty samevoice. But it's seriously worth it.

>http://www.fimfiction.net/story/90558/the-night-is-passing
Another one that isn't perfect but has such amazing vibes that I couldn't let it go. The sense of adventure is a little diminished from Mortal Coil, but is still lovely in its own way. Also better written, if a little aloof at times.

>http://www.fimfiction.net/story/192047/twilights-inferno
The "best" of these three Adventures. Superbly well written. Emotionally charged. I loved it from start to finish, even when seriously this is a spoiler Sunset diesI swear to god if you unspoiler this and haven't read it

>http://www.fimfiction.net/story/161159/the-mare-in-the-high-castle
Another possible all time fav. This one has the vibes, the characters and the intrigue. Loved it.

>http://www.fimfiction.net/story/252269/the-witch-of-the-everfree
The real best Sunset fic. I'm all in for >nohooves but goddamn. This one does it.

>http://www.fimfiction.net/story/214578/the-freeport-venture
The other best Sunset fic. AUs are comf. Especially ones where ANCAP memes come to life.

>http://www.fimfiction.net/story/67362/hard-reset
Yeah it's fucking good.

>http://www.fimfiction.net/story/248094/feedback
Time travel is lovely especially when it fucks with you like Feedback does.

>http://www.fimfiction.net/story/141746/roll-for-initiative
Funniest story I've read. It's not long so give it a go.
>>
>>28917012
>A Game Of Thrones
Starts out with an action prologue designed specifically do draw in potential readers with action and suspense. The antagonist is one of the White Walkers, who aren't actually introduced until the third book. GRRM retains interest throughout the rest of the book by focusing on the Starks and their struggles surrounding the Iron Throne. Nobody gives a fuck about guys who aren't going to even appear until the third installment of a doorstopper epic fantasy series. The *real* story starts with the Starks.

>Star Wars
Starts out with with action. It looks cool. And more importantly, we get to see R2-D2 and C3P0 get the message from Leia to take to Obi-Wan, a crucial plot point in the story.
>>
>>28922463
>http://www.fimfiction.net/story/161159/the-mare-in-the-high-castle
I loved this story until juuust before the last chapter, chapter and a half. Around the point where there are several character reveals that seem to be there just for their own sake rather than to serve a grander narrative purpose. I mean, not to be all tumblery about it, but it really pissed me off when they revealed that Rainbow Dash's entire motivation for secretly helping the earth pony resistance was because of her unrequited crush on Shining Armour. What was wrong with just having her be motivated by a skewered sense of loyalty to her nation? That seems more interesting and fitting for her character in a way.
I'unno, the very last chapter really soured the experience as a whole for me, but I still very much enjoyed the story.
>>
>>28916449
Man, I wana bang Braeburned
>>
File: Appreciate the digits.png (101KB, 558x289px) Image search: [Google]
Appreciate the digits.png
101KB, 558x289px
>>28922633
Dubs confirm.
I remember he came these threads once. That was a nice day.
>>
>>28922633
Homo
>>
[Pt. 1]

>>28917012
>isn't even named or accurately described
It better serve a really good purpose, because if I'm reading chapter 1, I'm going to wonder who the hell these people are and why they're taking up the first chapter. Remember: the first chapter is what's suppose to hook people into the story and if it has nothing to do with the protag or lays the foundation for the plot the synopsis tasked about, it's going to turn a lot fo people off.

>Magic Duel
Magic Duel intro really didn't introduce us to Trixie (since Boast Busters did that). It was just the classic teaser that set up the plot. If you're doing that, where the villain does something that grandly sets up the plot, then that's perfectly fine to do (although I'd recommend calling it a Prologue rather than Chapter 1).

If it's just the villain talking to someone or otherwise doing something mundane/boring, it's not going to excite readers or enhance the plot and/or its mysteries.

>>28917856
There's Want Me, Need Me, Love Me, about Twilight becoming changeling, but the thing's been dead for years.

In fact, a lot of "x is a changeling" stories do that. Same with "Twilight Becomes an Alicorn." Before canon did it, obviously.
>>
[Pt. 2]

>>28917998
>name can make it seem like they're either Mary Sues or more than other characters
I don't really know what you mean by this. Names are incredibly easy--simple nouns and verbs based on special talent, occupation, idiom, or color/flower. "Mary Sue" names always use longer, complex words or in the most blatant examples, foreign languages (Latin being the default).

Besides, you're going to have to give characters' names regardless of 1st, 2nd, or 3rd person--how else is the reader supposed to know who's talking or being described?

As for being more than other characters, a character's importance isn't based on their name but on how prominent a role they have in the story.

>>28920819
Do you mean a literal "you write four separate scenarios, then have readers flip to the one they choose" cyoa or the 4chan/Tumblr "the comments pick what happens" variety? The former would be fairly daunting if it's a longer story due to the great number of divergent paths that would happen while the later would be hard to do in a slow environment like Fimfic.
>>
File: magicoftheunicorn.jpg (38KB, 285x450px) Image search: [Google]
magicoftheunicorn.jpg
38KB, 285x450px
>>28923279
>Do you mean a literal "you write four separate scenarios, then have readers flip to the one they choose" cyoa or the 4chan/Tumblr "the comments pick what happens" variety?
The former. comment driven is only somewhat tolerable if youre present as its being written.
No I'm talking old school CYOA. Yes it would be daunting, but if you remember (assuming you've read any of the old books) a lot of situations were recycledso regardless of which path you choose you've got a good chance of coming across most if not all of the major plot points in varying order

But as I mentioned the big problem is the fact that you'd have to publish everything at once, which means no new chapters after publishing, which limits your exposure to the front page, which will limit the exposure period. You'd almost have to shill it everywhere just to gain any attention
>>
>>28922463
>the-night-is-passing
It was 2dark4me. I finished it, but it was pretty depressing. It starts with Equestria already having turned into a shitty dystopia, then spends 450,000 words slowly getting worse. Only about two nice things ever happen in the entire duration of the fic.
>>
File: mm.png (65KB, 971x305px) Image search: [Google]
mm.png
65KB, 971x305px
What the fuck
>>
>>28923556
>you'd have to publish everything at once
I think you could still publish it incrementally. Start by posting the first couple chapters for each branch, but end the last ones with "If you want to X, turn to (not yet published)". Each week, extend all the current branches by another chapter or two, with a similar cut-off at the end. You'd have to be clear in the description about the update schedule, but I think it could work.

Now in addition to the usual boost from doing regular updates, you'll also get more reader engagement, due to people debating in the comment section over which path they think will lead to the best ending.
>>
Old story are legend.
>>
Are there any good fics focusing on the politics of Celestia and Luna becoming the princesses? I figure there's a lot of good potential drama in the transition from whatever Equestria's government system was before to a theocracy ruled by two god-empresses.
>>
>>28926415
I was just thinking the Princesses appeared to help the ponies, and an actual constitutional monarchy was established only some hundred years before the show, similar to what happened in England.
>>
>>28926453
That's probably what a lot of people assume, but I think there's a lot of potential in a story about the Princesses trying to reform Equestria's politics, either when they first arrived or later on when they decide to change things. Backroom deals, scandals, conspiracies, public outcries. Something like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_(film) but set in Equestria would be pretty cool.

Granted, there are probably less than a dozen authors who have even the slightest chance of being able to pull this off, but you never know.
>>
>>28926474
>about the Princesses trying to reform Equestria's politics

I doubt Equestria had much politics back when the princesses arrived, since it shows them being in some kind of middle age warring tribes stage in HWE. I think some fic about some protesters demanding said constitutional monarchy and exploring the thing behind that would be lots more fun than medieval politics.
>>
>>28926504
I mean, it depends on you timeline on Equestrian history. If you want to consider Journal of the Two Sisters canon or use a modified version of its timeline, then Celestia and Luna arrived in a time when Equestria was first formed but everyone was still fighting over who should lead, in which case you could write an interesting story about Celestia and Luna going from puppets to politicians balancing the needs of the three tribes and uniting them into the Equestria we see today.

Alternatively, you could ignore that book and have Equestria be in any state you wanted when Luna and Celestia show up, from a post-Discord world with absolutely no leadership (so the story would be about them trying to restore the government, maybe acting as temporary leaders who are eventually elevated to the position of permanent leaders) to a completely stable if divided government in which the three tribes exist in essentially a tense truce that allows them to work together but could break down at any time due to hatred (so the story would have a much heavier focus on internal politics of Equestria and trying to unite the three tribes).

That being said, I'd be up for a good political fic starring Celestia or Luna from any time period. I've read enough fics with them as awesome warrior princesses, it'd be nice to see them as expert statesmares as well.
>>
>>28926628
Fanfiction politics are usually even worse than fanfiction legal systems though
>>
>>28927236
Yeah, that's why I had to qualify it with "good." I'm sure there are tons of fics about politics out there, and 99.99% of them are probably trying to mimic real-world issues to push some agenda, and badly-written to boot.

Come to think of it, are there any good multi-chapter stories that star Celestia and/or Luna and aren't action/adventure oriented or shipfics? I'd settle for anything that shows them using the mental/social skills that they must have accumulated over the centuries. The White Mare might have made Celestia a completely OP Mary Sue, but at least it focused on her intelligence by taking away her magic.
>>
How many stories are there on Zecora?
Sure, It's hard to have to write out every rhyme she says, but there has to be one madman thats done it
>>
>>28928312
Not many. This is the only one I know of: http://www.fimfiction.net/story/125968/unfamiliar-patterns
>>
>>28928312
>write out every rhyme she says
I enjoy the headcanon that normal zebros talk like normal people and zecora is either cursed or crazy, but everyone in ponyville has had no other exposure to zeebs and therefore no one realizes shes insane
>>
>>28923556
There'd also be issues with genre and content tags (didn't most coya's have dark "bad endings?")--any bad endings will have to be reflected with the dark, horror, etc. tags and that could screw things up.

Then there's the issue of readers looking at a 100k completed story staring them in the face right from the get go.

>>28926415
I can't think of any. Post-HWE but pre-Discord fics are incredibly rare. My muth salivates at the idea of a "the princesses arrive and try to cobble together a kingdom from the tribes, dealing with all the political and racial issues."

>>28926504
>doubt Equestria had much politics
The unicorns already had an establish kingdom and nobility, the pegasi appear to have run a junta of some kind, and the earth ponies likely had some form of representative government.

Now mash those all together and you get the situation in early Equestria.
>>
>>28929234
*mouth
*established
*racial issues" story.
I gotta start better proofreading this before I post it.
>>
>>28929234
>any bad endings will have to be reflected with the dark, horror, etc. tags
I doubt it. Honestly you could probably get away with just the core concept (adventure/mystery/comedy/etc) and whatever applicable trigger tags there are

>the issue of readers looking at a 100k completed story staring them in the face right from the get go.
eh since its a CYOA theyd hopefully realize that they would be not reading two thirds of the word count per read through. and a complete tag would possibly quell fears of an overbloated or unending fic
>>
File: 1397575684599.jpg (2MB, 2837x1334px) Image search: [Google]
1397575684599.jpg
2MB, 2837x1334px
>>28929240
Buddy, this is no place to mouth established racial issues.
>>
>>28929240
when you need an editor and a team of prereaders just to post on 4chan then youre finally ready to start cranking out shit on fimfiction
>>
>>28917856
>>28920001
>>28920024
Funnily enough, Persona EG is literally exactly that as well.
>>
>>28924243
ngl sounds kind of interesting
>>
BUMPERINO
>>
And again
>>
File: 7dsj.png (6KB, 594x56px) Image search: [Google]
7dsj.png
6KB, 594x56px
>>28921952
WINNER
>>
>>28932094
I hope somebody picked up that phone because I FUCKING CALLED IT!
>>
>>28932536
Ok mr wizard. if youve got the gift, then why not prophesy something good updating?
>>
File: Untitled.png (65KB, 926x695px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
65KB, 926x695px
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/290902/no-means-no

>human turns up in horsepeople land
>human has the ultra desirable stu-cock
>is asked to go around knocking up all the mares with his ultra seed to remedy some population problem
>human declines and would prefer to be a hobo living in the woods
>physically assaults anyone that wants hot monkey dick
ok sounds like fun so far, right?
in chapter 1 he lives in the woods and wants nothing to do with horsepeople
in chapter 2 he literally knocks a few of AJs teeth out because she wants some dick
by chapter 4 hes in a herd
by chapter six half of them are knocked up

oh fimfiction, you will never cease to disappoint me.
and yes I somehow missed the anthro tag when I initially found this
>>
>>28933053
>2:1
Anthro or no anthro, why in god's name would you read something with such an atrocious rating?
>>
>>28933121
I know that fimusers are all retarded and their opinions are usually wrong and therefore dont matter.

the premise sounded entertaining, which was enough to catch my attention
>>
>7dsj, book 4, chapter 17

Divine Right and the SIRENs are gearing up for the big event. It turns out DR only needs two more virgin sacrifices for his ritual, and in this chapter the Mean Girls pick up one of them (but only after Slutty SIREN has had her way with her). So it looks like this fic might actually wrap up some time this decade.

Octavia is still crazy, and not in very good health at the moment, likely due to having stabbed herself in the neck in the previous chapter. She's got a prescription, though, for some drug called "malarson" (HUE HUE) which will stop her from going completely crazy, but as a side effect might cause her to go a little bit crazy.

Twilight is mad at Sunset from last chapter, when Twilight and their parents confronted Sunset about the letters from Equestria, and Sunset produced a hilariously implausible story, which everyone believed but Twilight.

Except maybe Twilight did believe it, because now she's asking about a completely different type of secret: was Sunset abused as a child, or is she maybe "a child born of incest"? I have no idea how Twilight's supposed to have come up with these theories, or if they're supposed to be somehow connected to the letters (or any kind of evidence at all), or even how Twilight knows Sunset is still lying, given she apparently believed the story about the letters.

Except maybe Twilight didn't believe it, because she shows the letters to the M5 as evidence that Sunset lying to her. The M5, of course, know all about Sunset's backstory, and are prepared to cover for her, right up until Applejack remembers her alignment is Lawful Stupid and tells Twilight that they're all in on the secret. They don't give her the details, they just let her know that Sunset has a good reason and Twilight shouldn't worry about it, which of course doesn't help in the slightest.

Oh, and aside from the letters, Twilight asks the M5 if Sunset is an incest baby. So really I have no fucking clue what Twilight is thinking.
>>
>>28933662
>Virgin thing

Why doesn't the guy just walk into an elementary school and kidnap 22 virgin girls?
>>
>>28933779
If people in the shinkverse did the logical, sensible thing, the stories would be over in a one-shot.
>>
>>28933662
>which will stop her from going completely crazy, but as a side effect might cause her to go a little bit crazy.
It's sad when this is the most realistic part of the story.
>>
>>28933779
He needs virgins whose personalities match up with his tarot cards. He can't just grab people at random, for whatever reason.

>>28933819
>the stories would be over in a one-shot
Funny you should say that. According to some anon in a previous thread, 7DSJ Book 2 was meant to be the whole story, and the author asked his buddy Shinzakura to help him write the prologue and epilogue for it. But that part of the project got just a tiny bit out of control...
>>
>>28933015
I can only predict through sheer guesswork when shit fics update.

>>28933779
I think it's some sort of rule they all have to be teenagers at minimum.
>>
>>28933874
>I think it's some sort of rule they all have to be teenagers at minimum.
Which explains why its taking so long. Its a lot harder to find teenage virgins than toddler ones
>>
>>28929380
>I doubt it
>Tag your stories correctly!
>Make sure your story has the correct content rating.
You have Twilight and co getting burned to death, graphically eaten, etc. and you don't reflect that in the genre tags or content rating and there's going to be a lot of pissed off readers. I know I'd get pissed off if I was reading a fic with a comedy tag and suddenly everyone died horribly.

>>28933053
>max tags
>anthro
>human
>romance
I don't even have to look at the synopsis or ratings to know it's shit.

>missed the anthro tag
>not memorizing the diarrhea brown color of it so you can recognize it instantly
>>
>>28934542
>Tag your stories correctly!
>Make sure your story has the correct content rating.
Trigger tags, not genre ones. just because theres a couple of bad ends doesnt mean you need horror/tragedy/whatever tags mature/sex/gore in addition to whatever genre tags apply and youre good
>>
page 10
>>
We need a foreigner to monitor the thread today since most of us are probably going to be tied up
>>
File: Foreverial.png (92KB, 241x320px) Image search: [Google]
Foreverial.png
92KB, 241x320px
>>28935985
>>
>>28933871
I just went and checked, but the whole 'Razz is physically a recolored clone of Sunset' gimmick from Book 2 does get used in that filler chapter with the airships and the evil forest the bad guy is trying to blow up (if you have to ask why - it's a Shinzakura story and we'd be here all day if I tried to give you the abridged version). Specifically, the bad guy is a moron who thinks Razz actually is Sunset Shimmer pretending to have a differently colored appearance, with Razz playing along by changing her active disguise* to look like Sunset.

*She already uses an illusion to hide the fact she is a red-black demon looking freak so she doesn't scare kids - at least I think that's the justification why the bad guy (who used to be the head of the mage guild) doesn't notice a disguise spell not being dropped. But then again it isn't like most of 7DSJ would work if the characters weren't selectively stupid for plot convenience at times.
>>
>>28935985
I don't get it.
>>
>>28936354
You wouldn't want to.

Let's just blame Chris-chan tier autism, OK?
>>
>>28937231
Now I definitely want to know.
>>
>>28937343
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/foreverial-tiedup-delitized

Knock yourself out.
>>
tenth page no more
>>
>>28936322
>that filler chapter with the airships and the evil forest the bad guy is trying to blow up
That's not filler, that's our reminder that Berry Sue is the biggest, baddest, dark-magic-est pony in all of Equestria. It's the foreshadowing for when Divine Right eventually tries to summon Sombra and gets Berry Sue instead.
>>
>>28938351
Just entertaining an unlikely idea, but...what if she isn't the one summoned?
>>
>>28937446
This just raises further questions.
>>
>>28938381
Then there is absolutely no good reason for her to show up in book 4. She wasn't even in book 1, despite being both the cause and the solution of one of the major conflicts.
>>
File: 1440737402892.png (54KB, 281x213px) Image search: [Google]
1440737402892.png
54KB, 281x213px
Why haven't you written anything, Anon?
>>
>>28939306
apathy
>>
>>28939306
lunacy
>>
>>28939306
gastronomy
>>
>>28939306
illogical fallacy
>>
>>28939306
Because I'm still working on the outline.
>>
So who's putting a Santa hat on their Fimfic avatar now that we're officially entering the Christmas season?

>>28935985
I always make time to shitpost on 4chan.

>>28939306
I have poor time management abilities (see above), combined with an overall lack of enthusiasm toward the ideas I currently have churning.
>>
>>28939306
I managed to keep up with my NaNoWriMo daily goals until yesterday, because of Thanksgiving. Luckily, I have 4 day buffer so I should still be able to hit my overall goal.
>>
>>28940270
>I always make time to shitpost on 4chan.
once per day is always making time?
>>
>>28940270
>So who's putting a Santa hat on their Fimfic avatar now that we're officially entering the Christmas season?
I'm sure The Descendant will come to remind us.
>>
>>28939306
Writing my own novel
>>
>>28942217
Is it an original work about a guy that fucks a bunch of ponies that has nothing to do with FiM?
>>
>>28942835
So, Filly Funtasia fanfiction?
>>
>>28939306
After over a hundred stories with several alternate accounts and never getting anywhere, I finally decided to kill myself.

So, no, im not going to write anymore.

As soon as I can afford a gun.

>inb4 people giving me ideas on how to suicide.

It's by gun and gun alone.
>>
>>28943119
>It's by gun and gun alone.
Paint your face black and rob a store.
>>
>>28943151
Might as well go big and rob a bank. If you're good you might even get away with it.
>>
Alright Anons
Who do you get to proofread your shit, if not this general?
>>
>>28943532
Random people I've met on the site and are sometimes willing to proofread and sometimes edit my stories.
I'd still prefer you guys.
>>
>>28943205
Nah, that's old hat.
He should do somthing unique, something memorable. Deck himself out in black face and rob a KFC of its fried chicken at gunpoint, or something else ridiculous.

>>28943532
Of the two things I've released one was proofread here. For the other I just found a random person out of a list of people and asked if they were willing.
>>
File: Writeprints.jpg (231KB, 1848x477px) Image search: [Google]
Writeprints.jpg
231KB, 1848x477px
>>28943119

You will always be with us, Bleedin'
>>
>>28943645
if they actual black people on tv were to be believed then you only need to put on blackface and walk around outside for a few minutes

or in reality, do the blackface thing and go wander around actual black people
>>
>>28880430
looks like he succeeded tbqh
>>
>>28916889
thanks for the suggestions
>>
>>28941202
It is when you spend two hours going through /mlp/, /wsg/, and occasionally /co/. I have seven other /mlp/ threads open I have to read through.

>>28941963
22.5 weeks in counting. His second to last blog post talked about his crippling depression from blowing out his leg and his last blog post was about him reading that god awful Twilight/Spike IDW comic where Celestia screws over filly Twilight, causing her to commit Spikeabuse.

I really hope that didn't push him over the edge.

>>28943119
>spending hundreds of dollars on a gun and ammo
>not buying a helium tank and airtight mask for a fraction of the cost
Seriously, though. Don't take getting horse famous (and not even "get on a convention panel and smooze with VAs" horsefamous, either. Just "have a couple thousand fimfic followers" horsefamous.) so fucking angstily. It means literally nothing in the long run.

>>28943532
There's a multitude of groups on Fimfiction. The two biggest are The Proofreader Group (http://www.fimfiction.net/group/27/the-proofreader-group) and Looking for Editors (http://www.fimfiction.net/group/97/looking-for-editors).

I've only ever used the thread for proofreading and just let those anal commentators do it for me once the story's posted. Then again, I'm pretty anal myself about spelling and grammar.
>>
>>28945225
If he's dead, then what's the difference? Maybe he *wants* to blow his savings on things he doesn't have to. Screws whoever's set to inherit his things out of precious dosh.
>>
>>28945254
As if hes got precious dosh or anyone willing to accept it
>>
>>28945906
If no one else, it'll be the state government of whatever state he lives in.
>>
>>28862178
>>
>>28946515
what
>>
File: I'm a writer.gif (338KB, 492x376px) Image search: [Google]
I'm a writer.gif
338KB, 492x376px
What's your favourite type of story to write?

>inb4 implying writing
>>
>>28947307
Hyper-violent crackfic
>>
>https://www.fimfiction.net/story/63584/the-apprentice-the-student-and-the-charlatan

I can't do it. I can't seem to bite my way through this one. The senseless shipping and super wonky ass narrative are just too much for me. Which is a shame, because there's a really gripping mood of mystery and adventure about this story.

Does it get any better (more focused) further in or should I just quit?

Are there any similar stories, about an adventure and some kind of mystery, but better?
>>
Quick, what story idea are you currently mulling on?
>>
>>28948356
It's about a thread reaching page nine and suddenly surging to the top of the catalog again
>>
File: 1475455030231.jpg (49KB, 616x699px) Image search: [Google]
1475455030231.jpg
49KB, 616x699px
>its an 'misanthrope writes a HiE story and is at that moment where the protagonist gives their general opinion of humans to ponies' episode
Is there anything more irritating?
>>
>>28947307
Romance.

>>28948356
Way too many.
I hope to at least get back to two unfinished stories once my semester is over.
>>
>>28949211
>it's an it's an episode episode
>>
File: 1475044571211.gif (3MB, 250x175px) Image search: [Google]
1475044571211.gif
3MB, 250x175px
>>28949539
>its an episode
>>
>>28948356
Well, I'm currently writing a story for NaNoWriMo, and it's looking like the 30k goal I set for myself will only be enough to finish Act I (of three). But after I finish/abandon that, I'm thinking of writing one of two stories.

The first is a Shining Armor/Cadance shipfic that has them falling in love shortly before the whole NMM incident, likely while going on some kind of adventure. I never liked the idea that they fell in love in High School, since that reduces their romance to a teenage love story, which I find less exciting than the idea of a Captain of the Guard falling in love with a Princess of Love. Unfortunately, Twilight Sparkle of the Royal Guard has a pretty similar setup, and there's no way I could even come close to that level of quality.

The second idea is a A-team/Charlie's Angels/Mission: Impossible style mindless action story about Twilight putting together a team of former antagonists to fight bad guys, with lots of ass-kicking and snarky one-liners, starring either Sunset Shimmer, Starlight Glimmer, Moondancer, and Trixie; or Sunset, Starlight, Gilda, Lightning, and token Earth Pony (I used Maud for the one chapter I drafted of this idea, but I don't think she fits in with the premise). Each chapter would be a self-contained episode, and end with the team facing off against the villain of the week in his/her secret lair located underground/underwater/in a volcano/in space/all of the above who uses a signature weapon consisting of crossbows/katanas/poorly designed firearms/sharks with laser weapons/ancient kung-fu magic/all of the above. It would be a fun and not-at-all-serious story that would be a good way for me to blow off some steam. I'd need to figure out what team to use for it though.
>>
>>28949738
I remember those ideas, I hope you get around writing them, they do sound interesting.
>>
>>28948356
There's a story I wanted to make for a while. I wanted to make it for April's Fools, but knowinge me, if I don't do it soon, I'll never do it.

It's an absurdist parody of The Birds, but with pegasi randomly attacking ponies instead and played completely straight.
>>
>>28950166
I'd read that if you write it well.

Can't be any less interesting than watching these people dig a hole for literally no reason.
>>
>>28950176
What's up with that, anyways? A friend sent me the link and I'm very confused.
>>
>>28950210
They do something stupid every year to protest Black Friday.

Last year you could pay them $5 to receive absolutely nothing in return. The year before that they sold literal bullshit for $6 a box.
>>
>>28950166
While it is a parody of a different horror narrative, it kinda sounds like a more violent Huggled
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/143257/huggled
>>
>>28950963
>http://www.fimfiction.net/story/143257/huggled
Huh... Never heard of that story, but RedSquirrel is usually good. I'll have to read it and see if it's similar to what I want to do.
>>
File: Shortsightandcommotions.png (23KB, 712x198px) Image search: [Google]
Shortsightandcommotions.png
23KB, 712x198px
>Skirts twitter is filled with anti-Trump propaganda
>last online just a few days after the election
Could he have anheroed?
>>
>>28951130
He probably realized that he cant think of an ending for easthorse and this was a good opportunity to end everything
>>
>>28951130
I'd start archiving his stories if I were you. Knighty ain't gonna help this one.
>>
>>28951301
eh if he dead theyll be there forever. you only need to start archiving shit when they go into meltdown mode
>>
>>28947307
Comedy.

>>28948356
Still that avant gardy "oneshot.". The shtick's that the reader is accessing a government server that stores data logs (communications, transcripts, weather data, etc.). The server's completely fucked over, though (some chapters are only "The server timed out." error messages, the html's fucked over in places and won't "load" properly, images are broken jpegs--including the cover art).

As the reader sifts through the various logs, it's revealed a zombie apocalypse which was started on a ship docking in Manehattan killed a fuckton, including the princesses, and its been eternal night for four months. The server's dying as temperatures have plunged past -100. The last chapter is of automatically scanned dragonfire documents from Spike as he desperately pleads with someone to help before the server completely dies, spitting out a "Server Not Found" error to end the story.

There's just two problems. First, there's going to be raw html-like code and I know next to nothing about the more complex html codes servers/websites would use. Even if I just make up a bunch of shit, the anal side of me will still demand it's consistent.

Second, I'm not sure readers are going to want to read a bunch of boring communications to get to the interesting "story" related ones.

>>28949211
>anything more irritating
>it's a "humans are immune to magic and ponies don't use secondary effects (throwing rocks, heat, etc.) to effectively counter the immunity" episode
>it's a "humans and ponies speak fluently to each other immediately" episode
>it's a "human appears in the Everfree Forest and is rescued by Fluttershy" episode

>>28951130
>last blog post is just a picture of Applejack sitting at a table, staring sadly at her meal
I'm surprised Mortan's Salt is still in business with how flooded the market's become.
>>
>>28952129
>Still that avant gardy "oneshot.".
I hope you get it done. Not only because the idea interests me, because I honestly like your writing. I'll finish Fight Club once my semester is over.

>I know next to nothing about the more complex html codes servers/websites would use.
Why not look at DOS code of old computers and try to emulate that? If not, I'm sure there are several places you can find examples on the internet. Or hell, Right click/Inspect and copy all the html code from this very page.

> I'm not sure readers are going to want to read a bunch of boring communications to get to the interesting "story" related ones.
TSG, pal. Are you seriously going to start thinking about what the readers want at this poing?
>>
>>28952129
>There's just two problems
three unless you dont expect people to question why horsepeople have servers and dragonfire autoscanners
>>
>>28952167
>more complex html code
It's not just html. There's other type of code like SQL database code, CSS script is easy, javascript to do shit on your computer, python/ruby for calling shit from a server, that kind of stuff.

Just do four things:
-study up on the very basics on markup languages, scripting languages (local and server based) and database languages
-give up and ask the advice of someone who knows or can fake it decently
-get them to do most of the work
-??? not actually a step
-profit
>>
>>28952129
I could do HTML. I've been fucking with the more modern, fancier HTML stuff recently, though I'm pretty sure that cunt knighty doesn't allow custom HTML.
And unless you want to get really fancy, you won't really need actual server shit; just HTML, CSS, at most a little bit of javascript (though be prepared to host your own server for that, as far as I know most fanfiction websites wouldn't allow custom js). You can do quite a lot with just css these days.
>>
>>28952922
That said, if you do host it on your own server, you could go all out. Actually time it out when clicking on a specific document, full on cookies that prevent the user from accessing the domain again once they get to the final chapter (cookies, unless you want to be an asshole and prevent them from just manually resetting it if they know how)
Could even do artificial throttling to simulate a failing server.
>>
>>28952922
He doesn't want actual custom HTML/JS in his story, he wants to fake broken/corrupted code to show that the fictional server in his story is breaking down.

>>28952129
One thing you could try would be downloading some web pages, deleting random chunks, and opening them back up in the browser to see what kind of things go wrong.
>>
>>28952932
Broken code is boring. Any baby could do that.
Corrupted code, on the other hand, could get interesting, but only if you actually use the HTML. Otherwise it'll be just a completely garbled mess.

Most corruption would be just a matter of fucking with the text file in binary form, I believe there are even programs that do it for you. That accounts for transfer corruption - not getting all the packets the way you are supposed to. Then there could be association corruption, wherein some subroutine related to handling the text itself fucks up. Imagine all the symbols being bit shifted by one, or the compression causing all capital letters 'A' to represent some arbitrary piece of the text itself.

Again, a pussy just fakes it. A real man actually codes it up and hosts it. It's a sign that you're serious about your writing, at the very least, and its quality might end up being heightened by the dazzle factor.
>>
>>28952956
It's pretty easy to fake random corruption, just flip some bits at random and snip out some chunks, but that's not very realistic. TCP would never let corrupted packets through.
>>
>>28952956
>A real man actually codes it up and hosts it.
So a real man would get no views on fimfiction? seems legit
>>
>>28953970
Qvod erat demonstradvm
>>
>>28954097
>>28953970
Does that mean that all this time we've just been blinded by the sheer masculinity that is Bleedin'?
>>
>>28954678
What is it with people and bleedin? Did he piss in your coffee or some shit?
>>
>>28954734
No, but he did shit all over my feature box.
>>
>>28954780
>Bleedin
>featured box
If only...
It amazes me that we never tried to rig the feature box so one of Bleedin's stories made it there.
>>
>>28954780
Is that a meme, or are you going to give me an actual explanation?
>>28954797
Ok
>>
>>28954834
I don't know if you're actually wondering, or are just bored because not much is going on in the thread right now, but ok.

Bleedin constantly produces terrible stories, not "ha-ha" bad, just plain bad. He relies solely on lunacy, gore, sex, and combinations of those to shock the reader instead of trying to make interesting stories and then complains about how he's not successful.

At some point (I'd say late 2014/early 2015) we just stopped caring about trying to help him improve and just accept he's this thread's resident cousing with mental disabilities who makes a mess, but doesn't know better.
>>
>>28954882
Thats pretty sad, poor bleedin I guess...
>>
>>28954882
I actually like Bleeding's crackfics when I'm in the mood for lunacy. Ridiculousness and gore are two of my guilty pleasures in horsefic.

It's just unfortunate how he expects his crackfics to get him popularity. I mean, I get that he'd be annoyed, and I get that the tried and true method of getting Fimfic popularity is a boring slog, but I wish he'd cheer up.
>>
Page 10 once again.

So, anyone here actually on track to hit their NaNoWriMo goals? I've burned through all my buffers because of Thanksgiving but I'm technically not off-schedule yet.
>>
File: image.jpg (4KB, 300x57px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4KB, 300x57px
>>28956179
My goal for November was to write something at all while focusing on finishing my thesis. And what would you know, I'm halfway through the fifth chapter of my Sparlight story.

So that's something to be grateful about.
>>
>>28863458
Oh, boy! I'm so excited to see what the Anons in this thread are talking about! What discussions are they having? What topics will be expanded on? Maybe somebody will feel inspired to write and-

>I'm not the one putting desu in full caps. It doesn't trigger me, it's just that your headcanon is retarded and doesn't make sense when you have already canon rules and examples directly refuting your point.

O-oh. I thought we got past the "everyone else is wrong and my opinions are right" phase and got started on the "let's actually discuss a topic" phase. Is everyone still doing that thing where we tell people who like things we don't like that they're objectively awful people, or are some of us grown-up adults? Because there are still some threads out there that haven't been ruined yet by the autism.
>>
>>28956513
Why are you replying to a fifteen day old post?

Also, this thread has been up for more than two weeks.
>>
File: harmony.png (108KB, 750x306px) Image search: [Google]
harmony.png
108KB, 750x306px
Aww yiss

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/48739/harmony-theory
>>
File: more.jpg (47KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
more.jpg
47KB, 640x640px
>>28956611
>>
>>28956611
I remember tracking that way back in '13, telling myself I'd read it once it's over.
Now it's half a million words long, and I don't know if I should bother.
>>
>>28956647
Not many stories stay good after half a million words, if you don't mind the cliffhangers I recommend reading it.
>>
Are you faggots optimistic about FimFic?

Is it going to keep thriving going forward, or is it going to die a slow, low-quality death by lack of interest?
>>
Hey look, a deadfic updated
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/229012/dash-of-humanity-3-consequences
Too bad it's shit
>>
>>28957392
Lotta deadfics have been updating recently.
Is it truly the end of times?
>>
>>28957417
As long as it's not the end of ponies
>>
Well, finally resumed reading AAG and am 7 chaps in... it's certainly something. (Also reading another long genre buster which I find just as insane, but that's only on FanFiction.net and DeviantArt.)

Also finished book 1 of Savage Skies... pretty easy read.

Any opinions on the Triptych series?
>>
>>28957485
fuck you
>>
>>28957764
It hurts me as much as it hurts you, anon.
>>
>>28957767
and even knowing it would hurt me so, you said it anyway.

How could you anon? Have you no heart?
>>
>>28957775
I have a blackened, shriveled little heart, and pastel horses are my medecine.
>>
>>28957783
You dont understand anon.

I've been here from the fucking beginning.

Do you have any idea how painful its been? How many hours I've wasted? Days?

Its been over five fucking years, and I'll never get that time back.

... I don't even have an ending to show for it.
>>
File: snap099.png (4KB, 297x112px) Image search: [Google]
snap099.png
4KB, 297x112px
>>28957816
Time spent being happy is never wasted time, I refuse to regret anything.

I just don't want it to be over. I don't want to move on and forget.
>>
>>28957330
I'm pretty sure thats why knigger was wanting to expand to a broader fanfiction site.

Looking around ff.net, interest in various series drops off considerably after said series ends. and theres little doubt fim is going to last much more than another season.

so yeah. FiM ends, then kniggy begins losing shekels, then fimfiction digivolves into fanfiction.net 2.0 and fades into obscurity

>>28957609
>Any opinions on the Triptych series?
Its odd, but personally I really couldnt get into the main series but found some of the in-verse stuff entertaining

Oh hey after more than 2 weeks this threads finally just about done
>>
>>28957826
>happy

Nigga where the fuck do you think we are?
>>
File: hereToHaveFun.png (11KB, 935x729px) Image search: [Google]
hereToHaveFun.png
11KB, 935x729px
>>28958253
>>
[Pt. 1]

>>28952167
>going to start thinking about what the readers want
After how badly Fight Club did, the thought's definitely crossed my mind. But since I had so much fun writing it, it's been more of a fleeting thought.

>>28952777
I don't think very many people, if any, will care that much. If fics can have cell phones, Equestrian jet fighters, cars, tanks, machine guns, or cargo freighters, one can be about a server, especially if you throw in some crystals and magitech.

>>28952922
It's not real html, just a fake thing the reader reads, like you would if a webpage doesn't fully load in and just shows the raw code. For example, here's the current synopsis:

Access to the Equestria Government Communication Log Database is provided for free as a service of the Ministry of Royal Affairs and the Canterlot Archives.

Please click on any of the links below to access logs for for forforforforforforforforforforforffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffhnjfewnforqimde iw4thgbvomdoref

Error Code 305 Crystal Matrix Sync Time Out
<pone class=“welcome_con13”>
<pone class=“lower_ident”>
<magiscript><pone id=“server_error”><class=“errorx1...”></magiscript>
<pon class=“error_message”>
<p><c><b><color=“red”>Our systems are currently experiencing multiple errors at this time. We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause.</color></b></c></p>
</pone>
</pone>

</pone>
</pone>

The code's pretty crappy and that's after I looked at the element inspector for Fimfic. Also, critique the synopsis. I'm not sure how well the stuttering/glitching works.
>>
[Pt. 2]

>>28952956
>only if you actually use the HTML
Which you can't do on Fimfiction, or any fanfic site for that matter. I'd love to go full immersion and do a literal server dying, but I have neither the time nor the patience for something that would have so little reward, both in terms of readers and in experience gained (I'm not getting into coding as a career, and I certainly couldn't show it off on a resume).

>>28957330
Eventually, after Gen 4 ends and all the remaining "only watch the show because it's still running" fans leave, it'll fall into that comfy zone the Lion King's fanfic community was in when I was in it--a single genre will sweep through at a time, kicking up inspiration and shitty stories in it's wake, before everything settles back down; canon will be locked in, so fanfics can percolate their fanon without interference; and the oldfics and oldfags will become legendary and will be looked at in envy as symbols of the golden age that's no more.
>>
>>28958989
>for for forforforforforforforforforforforffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffhnjfewnforqimde iw4thgbvomdoref
Unless this is speech-to-text gone wrong or something, that's not a glitch that makes much sense.
>>
great tsg finished off the thread. cant count on him to make a new one, so whos feeling generous?
>>
>>28959012
Time to get baking!
>>
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TqmwVphDWPQ06CSONz5bpBoVYbaePaKFL-TMaGnB0-4/edit
I would be grateful if someone proofread this fic of mine.
>>
>>28959502
save it for the new thread that >>28959024 should be posting soon. this ones dead
>>
>>28959510
>the new thread that >>28959024(You) should be posting soon
I wanted to but actually I gave up halfway due to crippling laziness.

Someone else, make a thread!
>>
>>28959518
Fucking worthless piece of shit. But my disappointment is my own fault for having faith that someone in this thread was capable for putting forth a modicum of effort and actually writing a few words (and copypasting a bunch of shit)
>>
>>28959537
I'm currently curled up into bed with my laptop, trying to summon the energy to get up and find something to eat.

Darwin would have a stroke
>>
NEW THREAD

>>28959659
>>28959659
>>28959659

NEW THREAD
Thread posts: 504
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.