[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have few questions about nature of magic in the show. Many

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: tmp_12481-images876873957.jpg (7KB, 227x222px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_12481-images876873957.jpg
7KB, 227x222px
I have few questions about nature of magic in the show.

Many years ago, in some russian fantasy book I've read about a thing called Magi's terror. It claims that if a truly powerful mage is truly afraid of something - such thing will manifest in reality. Only thing that is able to "defeat" Magi's horror is said mage's denial of events - if the spook isn't real, you're not in danger, right? Except it's hard to deny things you're spooked about when you face them head on.

First question: Can such thing exist in mlp-verse? I would not count Tantabus in - it was created on purpose, while Magi's terror us a work of subconsciousness.
Second question: Isn't the knowledge of concept of Magi's terror hazardous in itself? For example, if one would spook Twilight with some kind of Giygas-like stuff, would the world end, or does she need to explicitly know about the existence of Magi's terror for such event to occur?
>>
Bump
>>
>>28843782
Interesting.
I'd think that it wouldn't be just Twilight, but something every aspiring Unicorn/Alicorn needs some awareness of.

With how widespread the use of magic is, surely there would be some preventative measures. From something extremely elaborate to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrPte1uijDw
>>
>>28843900
aspiring unicorn/alicorn mage*
>>
>>28843900
I suppose it will work this way. Considering the fact that "psychological climate" is kept comfortable in Equestria - Celestia's domain is essentially designed to be a heaven for it's inhabitants (does it work or not is another question entirely), and some sort of safety precautions that every magic user should know SHOULD exist - then tragic occurences from Magi's terror should be very infrequent.

However, second point still stands. If mage doesn't know about Magi's terror, can he still experience it?
>>
>>28843998
Yes, if they are in a reality in which the magi's terror is also real.

But if they are not in the same reality, then not.

For mlp I think they had an equivalent in Sombra's nightmare door.
>>
>>28843998
I think I just answered my own question.

Assuming Magi's terror exists in mlp-verse.

Children can be scared very easily. And as Princess Skyla showed us, they can have really potent magical abilities. Yet, they don't all disappear in Magi's terror-related accidents. That can lead us to a conclusion: if one does not know about Magi's terror, one will not experience it. This is not a strong proof by any means, but still this should indicate something.

However, as that one writer have proven, one can "theorize" Magi's terror by oneself. And then, experience it later, if one has magical capabilities. And thus, preparation and safety measures is proven to be a more effective countermeasure than "informational blockade" - such "blockade" will not fully prevent Magi's terror occurences under any circumstances.

>>28844094
True. One can't really draw parallels between magic in different universes - such discussion will end in direct comparsion of headcanons about magic where no one is right or wrong - but one can toss around concepts that work differently in different universes, in attempt to understand each universe better, and hopefully to change one's perception about said universe to something more accurate.

Nightmare door is an interesting one - it essentially short-circuits your brain in a way Magi's terror does, but I can't recall it actively changing reality.
>>
>>28843782
...interesting theory. I'd expand two points from this:

One, Luna/Nightmare Moon. 'Jealousy' is a quick way of saying 'afraid of being forgotten/loss/etc'. What if, then, Luna - being afraid of being forgotten in comparison to her sister - actually began to manifest her Terror, which took the form of ponies regarding her poorly? It'd become a recursive loop that'd drive her ever deeper, eventually culminating in Nightmare Moon - a hamfisted attempt to 'face' the terror by enforcing a state in which her terror could not exist. Conversely, the way Luna was eventually redeemed was to 'deny' the terror - by gaining friends and, any time she felt alone, thinking back to them. By denying the feelings of loneliness and jealousy, preventing the Magi's terror from manifesting.

Second, why was Sombra so powerful? He was a spellcaster who relied on fear to cripple his foes - presumably because he viewed powerful spellcasters as his primary enemy (arguably, all ponies can wield magic of some kind). By driving fear into the minds of his enemies, Sombra hoped to awaken their Magi's Terror and have them defeat themselves. But wouldn't Sombra himself be vulnerable to this? I wonder if Sombra was, in fact, the rare mage who had faced and defeated his own terror - a process that left him unfearing but still filled with lust for power. He passed through the gauntlet, and in doing so learned how to use it against others.
>>
>>28843782
>>
Somebody actually bumped my thread! That's neat, thank you kind stranger.

>>28844524
1)That's very much possible - while book doesn't tell us about prolonged effects of Magi's terror, I believe mechanisms behind event you mentioned and Magi's terror are the same!

2)This one is interesting, too. While "defeated his terror" part can't be confirmed, he indeed dabbled into magical aspects of fear, and used them to their full extent. May be he, even, was consumed by his own terror in event similar to NMM's manifestation?
>>
Since early Twilight was so pron to panic attacks that quickly spiral into worse case scenarios, if she had a magi's terror, would it destroy the planet?
>>
>>28846883
Destroying the world is doubtful - but it's possible that little problems snowballed because of said effect. For example, in lesson zero episode.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.