[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Magequine Game Dev #01

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 10

File: Magequine.png (524B, 39x89px) Image search: [Google]
Magequine.png
524B, 39x89px
Welcome to the official thread for Magequine, a platforming, sprite-based, pone-inspired vidya game /mlp/ will be collaborating to create together. For fun.

>Magequine?
It's a play on words (and a working title). It's pronounced "Magic Wine", which is incidentally the precious item that the heroes must ultimately recover to win the game. It's also a portmanteau of the words "Mage" and "Equine" as the heroes are elemental magic-using horses.

>Tell me more.
The basic premise (a work in progress in itself) is that in a magically poisoned land there are four pony tribes that correspond to the four elements. Earth ponies use earth magic, unicorns fire, pegasi air and seahorses water. Their magical powers fade over time, so each month the tribes must send a representative to gather the ever-replenishing sacred wine from the vortex tower, a dimensional anomaly where the energies of all four nations meet and where the gods test mortals with monsters and traps. If the heroes are successful at filling their crystal flasks they will have ensured their herd's survival a little bit longer.

>Is this gonna be multiplayer?
Maybe eventually. Right now lets just focus on a single player game with a premade adventuring party and see if it's even fun to play.

>Have you started yet? Do you have anything to show for it?
No, but that's good news because the party's just beginning! Each Sunday night a new thread will be made and I will post new poll questions as well as showcase current developments. Once playable demos have been created the newest download link will be shared.

>Sounds fucking gay.
Thanks for the (you)! /)^3^(\

>I mean it sounds cool. Can I help?
Sure can! Since this is just going to be a fun group project, feel free to comment on anything from criticism, concerns, questions, etc... Have an idea? Post it! But for right now the absolute biggest thing you can do to help is to VOTE on the straw polls! Speaking of...
>>
>>28825374
Here are the polls for this week. We're voting on our first heroine, the fire unicorn! Please vote for what suits you the most! And don't fret if your chosen feature loses, things might change as we progress anyway!

http://www.strawpoll.me/11591992
http://www.strawpoll.me/11592014
http://www.strawpoll.me/11592140
>>
>>28825374
Well, this is a slight improvement over the previous thread at least.
>inb4 it gets completely fucking derailed just like the previous one

Premise seems pretty contrived, but that doesn't matter too much for a non-story-based platformer. You might want to make it clear next time that the game isn't set in canon Equestria.

What are your ideas for the unicorn's abilities? And also, do you have any plans for what game engine you might be using?
>>
File: 1462112067994.gif (468KB, 465x263px) Image search: [Google]
1462112067994.gif
468KB, 465x263px
Not pony-related.
>>
So it's MLP meets Avatar?
>>
>>28825725
Op can't take it to /vg/ due to people still being butthutt about anything that has horses in it. Maybe /trash/ or /vip/ would work.

is it going to be based off of the tower of duraga?
>>
>>28825762
The fact that there's no other place for it besides /trash/ is not our problem, it's not pony-related and it doesn't belong here.

Accept your fate
>>>/trash/
>>
>>28825374
>Have you started yet? Do you have anything to show for it?
>No
Then fuck off.
>>
>>28825725
>>28825762
>>28825771
Can one of you explain to me how a game that features unicorns, pegasi, and earth ponies is "not pony related"?
>>
lol, why are bronies like this
>>
>>28825374
>Is this gonna be multiplayer?
CYOAs are multiplayer by default. This is sounding an awful lot like an RPG, which is against the rules.
>>
File: ahem.png (20KB, 646x108px) Image search: [Google]
ahem.png
20KB, 646x108px
>>28825833
Lurk before posting
>>
>>28825856
Nevermind, didn't realize this was game dev.
>>
>>28825697
I suppose I did fail to mention this is a game based on FiM and not set in that world. Next time. The premise is just like everything else, just a work in progress. But, really, in the end the game is about 4 ponies of opposite elemental ties that enter a dangerous tower because they have to.

>>28825743
As far as the elemental theme, yes, but that's pretty much it.

>>28825762
Oh god no. No, no, no. I want to make a game that's FUN to play... and that I have a chance of actually winning. This game will be a platformer with puzzles and danger, though not to the level of Quest of Ki or anything.

Also, here's this poll as well. It's somewhat important. http://www.strawpoll.me/11592470
>>
File: BT-X.jpg (187KB, 500x381px) Image search: [Google]
BT-X.jpg
187KB, 500x381px
>>28825833
It is pony related, but is not part of a cartoon or anime about horses. For example, BT-X, Mazinkaiser, and Bojack could all be discussed here, but none of their video games. Not that it hasn't been bent for things like Them's Fighting Herds that started off as a pony game, and the few VN pony kickstarter scams. This is more of a discussion to be had at /qa/, rather than here.
>>
>>28825888
>BT-X, Mazinkaiser, and Bojack could all be discussed here

Wrong. See >>28825858
>>
>>28825856
Structured roleplaying (think D&D) is actually allowed. A mod said so way back during the scruffening. The "no roleplaying" rule is for the *unsheathes katana* *teleports behind u* style of freeform forum roleplay.
>>
So what engine and/or what language is it in?

Got any art to show?
>>
>>28825888
>This is more of a discussion to be had at /qa/, rather than here.
> this is a game based on FiM
>ponies

Not a chance.
>>
>>28825888
What the fuck? Is this some kind of half-adapted /m/ copypasta or something?

Are you also in favor of banning threads about EqG? The IDW comics? The Gameloft game? Fanfiction? Fan animations? Other fan games (LoE, FO:E, Ambient)?
>>
>>28825939
It will be an existing simple game engine to eliminate PC limitations. This is going to be a 16 or 32 bit game at best just to start out. If it takes off and everyone gets involved then maybe we'll upgrade to flash or higher. This is just a fun little project being proposed here. As for artwork, no. I just came up with the idea yesterday. That's why there's polls to vote for. When I know what the character I'm working on this week looks like then I will get started. I'd some old assets I worked on years ago for fun that I never actually used for anything. I'll keep those under wraps for now so I can use them to make a simple playable demo room.
>>
>>28825981
>upgrade to flash

jesus I'd hate to think what it uses already that flash is an upgrade
>>
>>28825994
It doesn't use anything, anon hasn't started making the game at all yet
>>
File: 1478212325136.jpg (70KB, 580x506px) Image search: [Google]
1478212325136.jpg
70KB, 580x506px
>hey /mlp/
>wanna make a whole game for me and do all the work while I sit back and be idea guy
>>
>>28825887
Duraga is fun. For me at least. As long as it's challenging, I should be happy with it.
>>28825981
>upgrade to flash or another engine later
Trust me. Start out in the system you want to finish in. It will save immense time later, plus make those doing the actual code feel worthwhile instead of nothing. I would also extremely recommend against using flash at all, as it's on the way out due to all the continuing security issues.
>>
File: rules.png (25KB, 556x416px) Image search: [Google]
rules.png
25KB, 556x416px
>>28825965
>>>/mlp/rules
> EqG? The IDW comics? The Gameloft game? Fanfiction? Fan animations? Other fan games (LoE, FO:E, Ambient)
Not the person you replied to, however all of what you listed can fall under the rule:
>This is the destination for all cartoon/anime pony related content on 4chan.

>Topics must be show-related.
That's pretty damn clear, but still ultimately up to the discretion of the moderators and janitors.
>>
File: Stone Passage Doorway.png (4KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
Stone Passage Doorway.png
4KB, 256x256px
>>28826035
The program I'm using is one of those game maker ones. You place the tiles, set the variables, etc... Except I'm not using a single one of their stock files. I'm doing everything brand new and only using the game engine to assemble things. For example, this is a spare doorway I've had kicking around. It's 256x256 and will fit on the grid as programmed with the other 32x32 tiles forming the walls, ceiling and floor. Not to say I'm using it or anything, it's just for a visual demonstration and would not be the size it's shown as were it in the actual game.
>>
File: 1367444050158.jpg (80KB, 887x900px) Image search: [Google]
1367444050158.jpg
80KB, 887x900px
>>28826090
>one of those game maker ones

That being?
>>
>>28826120
GameMaker: Studio, Professional.
>>
I was so bored I made mockup of angry unicorn
Sadly I made evil unicorn instead of angry unicorn
Also I can't draw angry mouths
>>
I'm going to be blunt about this one: make an RPG, not a platformer.

Why? I'll tell you. When I hear about game dev project like this one, I always think: why would I play that over another game of the same genre? Why would I play your pony platformer over Fez, Braid or Super Meat Boy? With what you've got so far, the only reason i would have would be "because ponies". And honestly, that's very little, even if I like ponies a lot.

However, if the games was an RPG, the pony argument would hold a lot more weight since RPGs focus around stories, and in that case pony and pony shenanigans.

Here goes my opinion.
>>
>>28825374
> Lore
It's very weird. You are doing something that barely make sense (even by fantasy standard) just to justify your title's word-play about wine. Also, the whole concept of "gods are going to starve your tribe to death unless someone pass the gauntlet of murder-torture every year" feel kinda grim-derp.

> Using polls to entirely design a character
Just no. The average person as no clue on proper character building, it's going to be shit. Find a character designer if you can't do it yourself, and limit poll to small details - and it should only be used to make your community feel engaged, not for actually important stuff.

> GameMaker
>>28825981
Flash is never an upgrade to anything. It's not even an upgrade to drawing stuff on a chalkboard really fast, so I'm very concerned about your development experience if you think switching to flash in an improvement for a video game.

> RPG vs Platformer
>>28827450
To add on what Anon said : platformer aren't the easiest type of game, unlike what most beginners think. Getting movement, jumps and attacks to chain smoothly and "feel right" is tricky and can ruin the game very quickly if not done right. I never used GameMaker, so maybe that engine is naturally good at it, dunno.
>>
File: 1409632272871.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1409632272871.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>28825374
Hey
I remember your thread some days ago.

I felt like saying something back then, but I didn't.
Now I am.
It's going to fail.

Not being mean, but you should really just accept this now and treat this as a fun little project for experience's worth.
Do great, have fun, get some practice, but don't get your hopes up.
It's not like I want you to fail, but you have to accept that you are.

Here's hoping though sometime in the afterlife I can cool down with your little platformer while watching Do or Deer, and then finish the night with some waifu feels with the /mlp/ VN.

Since I don't want you to start feeling all down though, I've decided to attach a webm of my favorite horse being really cute.
She is mine though, so you can't have her forever.
>>
Don't use Game Maker.
Engines like Unity are free, more efficient, more secure, better documented and give you more control over things than any Game Maker. I've been working with GM8 for a long time, and I have friends who played a bit with GM:S, and boy it's not worth it. It's a mess to debug, nothing works as intended, you have to redo the physics from scratch because the builtin engine is buggy and slow, GML syntax is non-existent, and you WILL spend hours trying to figure out why your event/trigger won't fire only to realize that the step event is called before the create event during room transition, but only sometimes.
It's a fucking miracle some people were able to make working multiplayer games with that thing, jesus.

Anyway, don't do Game Maker / GML. Learn JS or C# and get Unity or whatever the cool kids use these days. I can guarantee it's ten times better than Game Maker.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.