[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/MLP/ Plays - We Are Back Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7

File: 1472262136483.jpg (284KB, 1338x783px) Image search: [Google]
1472262136483.jpg
284KB, 1338x783px
ITT: People contribute music stuffs and we combine everyone's efforts into music. Everyone is welcome to participate. Discuss show/fandom music, ask for/give critique of yours or other's music, share tips and tricks, etc.

Previous thread: https://desuarchive.org/mlp/thread/28534992

2nd Album info:

>What is this, though?
The 2nd /MLP/ Plays album, that’s what! Following the success of the first one, we decided that the world needs another. Like before, it will be a compilation album from the musicians of /mlp/. There is no specific genre that has to be adhered to, but there will be more guidelines to follow this time.

>What are the guidelines?
This time around, it’s been decided that the music for this album has to be pony related. “But what what does that mean!?” you may be wondering. Well, here is what we mean:
Songs need to be original or redone covers based off of the below conditions. It may be but is not limited to:
•Cover/remix of the music from the show.
•An original that is based off of a riff/motif/recognizable theme from the show
•Original piece that uses samples from the show (probably more than just one gasp at the end. Should really be part of the song)
•Original songs with pony related lyrics, like "Waifu Blues" or "All Ponies Must Be Perfect" from the last album.
•Redoing the music and lyrics to be pony related. Mr. Bones's Wild Ride (Hotel California Parody) from the last album is a good example.
•Includes /mlp/ related maymays/jokes/culture.
•No singing over instrumentals of other artists’ songs. "I Am Awesome" is an example. It would, however, be OK if the instrumental was redone.

>Are there any other guidelines?
For everything else, READ THE GOOGLE DOC BELOW

>Google Doc (READ IT): https://docs.google.com/document/d/18l7d2DuJD77VH5rb1Edldq8n3WjIuxIY5gflwSqjYJA/edit?usp=sharing

Email: [email protected]
Bandcamp: https://mlpplays.bandcamp.com/
Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/slashmlpmusic

Keep making music
>>
Yeah!
>>
Hi guys. Back in high school, I received mastery in my state for the piano, but then dropped the instrument entirely. After dealing with a bit of depression here in university, I checked out a hip hop artist by the name of Kid Cudi, who had recently checked himself into rehab for his depression and suicidal thoughts. I never really cared much for him, but I decided to check him out, and one of his songs The Prayer was just so beautiful. It made me a little inspired to not only keep doing art, but to also make music for the community. I'd like to get into making music for the pony people, and maybe a far off idea would maybe be even performing it at a con (not likely).

I was just wondering, what are some things that I should do/buy if I wanted to try to get started with creating music, or at least get a taste for it. My experience includes understanding chord progressions, being able to create little melodies on the spot (right hand plays on some scale while left hand plays a simple chord progression), I understand Garageband (which I guess would help ease a transition into a more useful program, I hear fl studio is one?) and I feel I would have some decent intuitive ability to put together instruments into something that sounds at least "ok". What would you recommend I do, given where I am?
>>
>>28735136
Bump for my thing
>>
Second bump of the thread
>>
>>28735136
First thing is a DAW. FL Studio, Pro Tools, Ableton, Reaper, etc are all good choices. For electronic and only electronic music, I'd recommend FL or Ableton. Pro Tools and Reaper are also great DAWs that work well for editing/mixing. However, any of these will work.

If you're going to be recording anything, you'll usually need an interface. If you're on a budget a USB mic will work, if you're not plugging anything else in (e.x. recording electric guitar).

If you're going to do electronic, you'll need synths/samples. I believe all these DAWs come with some, but I and others here can recommend more.

Being a piano player, I'm guessing you'll benefit from a midi keyboard too. Most are USB connected, though MIDI can also be sent through a MIDI cable.

A good pair of headphone and/or speakers will be need, too. You'll be looking for full range aka not cheap $15 earbuds or laptop speakers.

Many of us here can recommend specific gear, if you're interested.
>>
>>28735136
Man on the moon is the only kid cudi song I ever cared for.
>>
File: fl_chan_by_bocodamondo-d763agl.jpg (148KB, 751x1064px) Image search: [Google]
fl_chan_by_bocodamondo-d763agl.jpg
148KB, 751x1064px
>>28736911
I suggest fl studio, I use it, the resources available and tutorials for it are plentiful, but I think most people go with what their favorite artists use. I'd try learning to make one song on a 2 or 3 to see which workflow you like the best. But FL studio has the best mascot. pic related.
>>
File: OctXPonk.png (1MB, 3019x2000px) Image search: [Google]
OctXPonk.png
1MB, 3019x2000px
>>28736911
>1st paragraph
Yah, I head that FL Studio is the one that everyone does/should go for. As long as it has the capability for me to either input notes either by mouse or midi keyboard, and make it seem like a different instrument is playing those notes, then I should be somewhat decent to work with the program I think.
>2nd
Yah, I'm definitely on a budget in terms of equipment, and a mic, I plan to try singing. After doing some singing to instrumentals, I noticed that I can accurately hit notes, but not really sure what to do in terms of loudness, power, intensity, etc... If you guys could recommend a mic that would work well, I'd appreciate it. Also, I learned about something called "recording spikes" when you make the sound with the letter S in it, and that you should avoid it, can anyone explain this a little better?
>3rd
Synths/samples? Is that like instruments and sounds that are already put into the program for you to use or toy around with?
>4th
Yah, I figured that would be beneficial, though I'd need a cheap one, if that exists.
>5-6th
I have a very excellent pair of headphones already just because I love music and listen to it so much every day. They are called the Sony MDR-X05's. But yah, if you guys can help me find ok-decent quality for cheap, I'd appreciate it. Thanks for the time to write all that out.

>>28737353
Yah, I never cared for him, I just thought he was another "I rap about money, bitches, and guns" rapper. As soon as I heard music from Kendrick Lamar, Drake, and J. Cole in high school back when I was on the football team (and it was just always playing in the locker room), I realized that's not necessarily correct. I'm very excited to check out the rest of his stuff. The prayer astonished me when I listened to it. Like, he made this masterpiece out of repeating the F, C, G, Am chord progression. So complex yet so simple, but I digress.

>pic related is music ponies I drew about a year ago
>>
>>28737449
Man on the moon says he just does what he wants, he seems to say nigga in that song to be funny, like he's ironically throwing into the track. All his songs are chill, real introverted sounding.

I don't really analyze his music much because I don't even know if he's a composer/producer.
>>
>>28737476
>ironic "nigga"
Yah, I got the vibe he used it for shock value because of the way he said it.
>>
>>28737449
yah
>>
>>28737517
>yah
Yah, didn't realize how much I wrote that, I'll try to do that less if I remember.
>>
save
>>
>>28738578
wow page 10 again
>>
>>28739433
Oh yah, that reminds me. I was kinda inspired to do a song that's like "yah we're all a bunch pony loving freaks but its all good though" kinda vibe. I'm gonna work on it, maybe I'll post them here and you guys can make fun of it give some critiques
>>
>>28739433
>>28740090
*maybe I'll post [the lyrics I'm thinking up]
>>
>>28739433
>>
Streets update coming tomorrow??!?
>>
>>28743027
With the amount of bumps in this thread to save it from page 10, I'm honestly not even mad. I'm happy that this is proof that the board is still pretty frequently posted to. Maybe not like before, but definitely still active.
>>
>>28739433
>>
>first album accumulates hundreds of dollars
>almost no one cares
what the fuck /mlp/

well, at least we make better albums than /mu/

lurking while working on my contribution
>>
File: 1319290916604.png (957KB, 1364x691px) Image search: [Google]
1319290916604.png
957KB, 1364x691px
>>28744324
NEW STREETS:
>https://www.dropbox.com/s/irqfbgj9txuadjz/MoBetterStreets.mp3?dl=0
OK, we've been working on this a bit when the thread was down. The main thing right now for it is adding on to the chorus (the currently drum and bass only part) and redoing/adding the acoustic guitar Techturbine and A Lyricist are working on the lyrics and what not, but anyone's free to chime in, lyrics or music.
Harmonica, can play around with some harmonica over that chorus part at 1:04?
>>
File: le smug checkem goyim.jpg (38KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
le smug checkem goyim.jpg
38KB, 500x500px
>>28747122
Check those project dubs :^)
>>
So here's our Lucy in the sky with diamonds parody.

By our good ass songwriter Dreamer.

Picture yourself in a land full of ponies
With colorful manes and beautiful eyes
Somepony(body) calls you, you answer quite slowly
A mare trails a rainbow behind

Marble stone castles of yellow and gray
towering over your head
Look for the girl with the sun on her thighs
and she's gone

Maybe there's a life with ponies.
Ah~

Follow her down to a street with a fountain
Where talking horse people eat strawberry pie
Everyone stares as you walk through the city
Their gaze so incredibly high

Beautiful ponies appear by your side
waiting to take you away
rubbing your back with your head in the clouds
and you're gone

Ah~

Imagine yourself on a train in the mountains
with picturesque pastures and cerulean skies
Suddenly someone is right there besides you
Your mom as she's shaking your sides.

ah~
ah~

So- we need _
John Lennon: vocals, lead guitar
Paul McCartney: backing vocals, Lowrey organ, bass
George Harrison: backing vocals, lead guitar, acoustic guitar, tambura
Ringo Starr: drums, maracas

if you've got the lowdown on any of these. let me know.
>>
>>28747349
No more covers pls
>>
>>28747349
>So- we need _
>John Lennon: vocals, lead guitar
>Paul McCartney: backing vocals, Lowrey organ, bass
>George Harrison: backing vocals, lead guitar, acoustic guitar, tambura
>Ringo Starr: drums, maracas
well, I can get Ringo and Paul, but John and George will need a dash of necromancy before they can play
>>
>>28747713
can you gibe me a list of the parodies that are going on the album so far?

i've only seen this one as it stands.
>>
>>28748016
last album had like 3 or 4 parodies.
the album posted in youtube got muted because of that.
>>
>>28748309
The album on YouTube got muted because Dzahlus used direct instrumentals from copyrighted songs instead of redoing them.
>>
stay up please
>>
>>28749503
sure thing pal
>>
>>28750266
Thanks, friend
>>
"I love the bumping"
>>
b u m p
u
m
p
>>
bazinga
>>
Welcome back guys
>>
>>28753666
is good
>>
>>28753388
bazinga
>>
Time for a page 10 save rave
>>
>>28756373
holler
>>
pmub
>>
Anyone have any ideas for songs or anything? Say it, even if you think it's stupid.
>>
>>28760105
THE NUTSHACK THEME SONG BUT EVERYTIME THEY SAY NUTSHACK "EUROBEAT DISCORD" PLAYS
>>
>>28747349
Mind if we change cerulean skies to indigo skies? It flows better in the song
>>
>>28760105
A song about one of the mane six or some other pony losing their best friend. Like some really depressing shit lyrocally but the music would be in like a major key all happy and shit.
>>
>>28762128
weird
>>
>>28760105
Parody of song "Raise this barn" from the show to "Raise this board".
>>
bumperino
>>
Could use some more covers.
>>
I do have 2 more parody songs that can be made if anyone wants to pick them up.

Let it go parody - http://pastebin.com/NenHA2a9

Total Eclipse of the Heart parody - http://pastebin.com/PeGZDT2i
>>
pumb bump
>>
>>28760105
Bonnie Blue Flag but instead of Bonnie it's pony and it describes how we went from one star to two GIDDY UP
>>
saved from death
>>
>>28767772
Double dosage
>>
>>28764934
heh
>>
>>28769055
tribble dosage
>>
bumperino
u
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.