[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

About Starlight....

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_3931.jpg (43KB, 567x561px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3931.jpg
43KB, 567x561px
A lot of people around here seem to think she's a "mary sue" while seeming to not know what that term means.

A Mary Sue is a character that possesses no discernible character and personality flaws and can effortlessly (and uninterstingngly) solve problems while. Many Mary Sues are also very skilled on a technical level. Being overpowered and being a mary sue often overlap.

However, while it is fair to call Starlight overpowered, calling her a "mary sue" is just a lazy way of criticizing a character you don't like by using a buzzword while hoping no one notices.

Starlight clearly possesses MASSIVE personality, moral, and leadership problems. Whether it's brainwashing her friends without knowing that's bad, antisociability, and her inability to defeat Chrysalis without her suicide squad, this is clearly a flawed character.

Overpowered(a fair label for Starlight) and Mary Sue often overlap, but not in the case of Starlight.

This is not a "my opinions are the only correct ones" post. Feel free to not like her, your choice. But at least be intelligent with your reasoning. She is not a Mary Sue like Rey from The Force Awakens
>>
>>28617366
Christ that was autistic, wtf was I thinking
>>
>>28617376
Don't worry, I get pissed of with people misusing words as well.

tldr: if a character fucks up or pisses another character off they can't be a Mary Sue.
>>
File: 40keks.jpg (17KB, 233x205px) Image search: [Google]
40keks.jpg
17KB, 233x205px
>>28617376
yeah it was, but you are right
I gave up fighting the glimmer haters because I'm pretty convinced at this point it's just the same 4 memesters searching for (you)'s

>like Rey from The Force Awakens
pic related
>>
It doesn't stop her from being a shitty character who suddenly becomes stronger than an alicorn whose talent is magic out of fucking nowhere
>>
>>28617366
You're forgetting that everyone who thinks she's a Mary Sue also thinks that Season 2 was the best season/ so they obviously don't know their heads from their asses.
>>
>>28617457
When did you joint the ride? Sometime around season 4 I'd wager.
>>
>>28617451
I thought having a villain that Twilight couldn't just magic away actually made things more interesting.
Also, she was never more powerful than twilight, she had a fucking time travel spell, The playing fire was firmly tilted in her favor. They're clearly shown to be evenly matched by the end of their fight, twilight would've definitely won if Glimmer couldn't just reset the fight whenever she was about to lose.
>>
>>28617500
Can you explain to me how when you saw an episode has any thing to do with anything? like if I watch an episode of a show in 2003 how is it different from me watching an episode in 2006?
>>
>>28617564
>newfag damage control
>>
>>28617451
>suddenly becomes stronger than an alicorn

Its not as if she spent her whole life studying magic intensively in much tougher conditions that Twilight or anything...

> stronger than an alicorn

She never went head to head with Twilight at any point because, unlike you, she isn't a moron. Each time they batted Starlight kept her off balance and run down usually opening with a sneak attack.
>>
>>28617577
No, a meme isn't an argument I'm afraid, try again.
>>
>>28617564
>Won't answer the question
Opinion discarded.
>>
>>28617366
Mary Sue is a bit of a buzzword, and it's a fair point to criticize people who just drop that and nothing else when talking about Glimmer.

However, that doesn't make me like her any more than I did. There are still deep, deep flaws in her writing that leave me with a deep distaste for he, nd that, of course, is leaving out all of the issues about her power which as you noted are a whole separate can of worms.

I think what bugs a lot of people is how rapidly her character jumps from extremes, in both directions: A friend moving away lead her to leap for the extreme antagonist end, literally ripping out ponies' talents and brainwashing them. Then in the finale she leaped straight back to the extreme protagonist end - automatically accepting what Twilight told her and abandoning her beliefs to side with the designated heroes, even though her original beliefs had no actual connection to the "bad future" that apparently changed her mind. It was only her meddling with time travel that caused that.

What brings on a lot of the 'Mary Sue' labeling - along with the power issue, which as you noted is also a problem - is that the setting of the show, the world she lives in, seems to tacitly kind of accept or even encourage these wild jumps. It's just accepted by everyone that she became a fascist dictator because a friend left her life; when she recants her beliefs, we're given a montage of everyone immediately accepting her even though the last time they saw her, she was fleeing assaulting them.

The implicit message seems to be that as long as you subscribe to the designated hero's words, you get automatic benefits - no matter how hyperbolic your actions are. Every Thing She Does re-awoke a lot of this by having the brainwashed M5 also do a wild jump - straight from 'angry' to 'friends again' in the space of 30 seconds.
>>
>>28617822

It's beyond even 'friendship is good', which is a bit inherent to the show. It's 'accepting the hero's ways gets you automatic benefits, no matter how absurd your actions are'. It's 'even someone who displays some worrying character traits can be treated the same as long-time friends if she just says the right words'. It's a sense that the world of the show bends around her, rather than reacting to her as a solid, logical world would be expected to.

I don't know if that made any sense, but hopefully it helps explain why people have issues with her.
>>
File: Gangsta Check.gif (263KB, 320x306px) Image search: [Google]
Gangsta Check.gif
263KB, 320x306px
You want a Mary Sue?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FVEpF_xuKM
>>
>>28617366
Problem with Stalright isn't that she's a Mary Sue. That argument is retarded and used as a buzzword insult.

I perosnally don't care about her because she isn't interesting. I got used to anime-esque way of portraying characters and giving them visible gimmicks and traits like Aj being a redneck, Fluttershy being too shy. Pinkie being autistic, Dash being overly tomboyish and Rarity being overly girly that when we get 1 character who is "just a normal girl" we kind of treat her like herown character and main protagonist. This is how Twilight was portrayed. A normal pony who was also a smart bookworm and a leader.

Down the path of 6 six seasons, Twilight was downgraded from main protagonist to Celestia 2.0 while Starlight is shoehorned as her "replacement clone" which is also the role that Sunset Shimmer is playing in Equestria Girls. However, unlike FiM. Sciilight in these movies is herself just a gimmick nerdy shy girl along with Mane5 so Sunset feel more natural as a main protagonist than Twilight.

Starlight Glimmer just feels like Unicorn Twilight interacting with Twicorn. She's just a one bad idea and she should had stayed as a reccuring villain like Chrysalis.
>>
File: aple.png (40KB, 513x264px) Image search: [Google]
aple.png
40KB, 513x264px
>>28617442
>Glimmer haters are memesters searching for attention
Ain't it the other way around?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.