[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me exactly why Starlight Glimmer isn't a mary sue.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 7

File: 141252341.png (734KB, 1280x717px) Image search: [Google]
141252341.png
734KB, 1280x717px
Tell me exactly why Starlight Glimmer isn't a mary sue.
>>
>>28586354
Overpowered=/=Mary Sue
>>
>>28586354
She is.
>>
>>28586354
/tg/ here. You don't know what a Mary Sue is.
>>
>>28586354
Her powers are complete bullshit. So are Twilight's.
>>
>>28586354
She's more powerful than Nyx.
>>
>>28586354
She's a sociopath
>>
>>28586403
>spent her whole life studying magic
>sacrificed her social life and payed for that
>eventually took it easy and got rewarded for her good actions
Vs
>already as strong as a regular unicorn when a child because headcanons
>her best friend helped her get even stronger until he got his CM and left
>the above means jack shit though because she got really strong anyways
>can rival an experienced demi-god with no magical artifacts to back her up

Even Shining fucking Armor wasn`t this fucking broken, and he was a dudebro who could cast a shield big enough to cover an entire city on his own, something not even Twilight could do
>>
>>28586354
I can't
>>
>>28586432
99% of all unicorns can't do shit, while those two can do fucking everything with no limits. It's broken bullshit alright.
>>
Because nobody in this fucking board really know what a Mary Sue is, they just say it, you can't talk of a topic with people didn't know what are talking about in first place

Is like the people here who talks about character development
>>
>>28586354
Because a mary sue is loved by all and never does wrong.
They always get the guy and always solve the problem of the day.
>>
>>28586636
that's because they don't bother, they are normalfags who are happy with basic stuff like levitation, Moondancer focused on other shit besides magic and Twilight was the one who dedicated her whole life to improving her skills, Starlight has no reason to be that good at magic, because even if she was a prodigy as a child she would have needed some kind of emotional support to motivate her that isn't revenge
>>
>>28586659
Step aside, plebs! The only person here who knows the True Meaning of "Mary Sue" and "Character Development" is finally here.
Please, enlighten us, your Highness!
>>
>>28586681
Nice ad hominem, faggot, now say why I'm wrong
>>
>>28586665
>still mind controls ponies
I don't think the writers know how insane mind control and how close it is to enslavement. It is basically enslavement.
>>
>>28586679
>she would have needed some kind of emotional support to motivate her that isn't revenge
Unless there's something in the show that states that is true, I'm calling bullshit on this headcanon of yours.
>>
>>28586691
But I can't! No one else besides you grasps those extraordinary complex concepts! Therefore I can't argue anything you say, you're obviously always right since I have no idea about such things.
>>
>>28586354
I have never hated a character more than her. She seems so forced it is disgusting and for no reason. She is basically a different version of Twilight Sparkle but a lot more of a sociopath.

Fuck her, I don't even watch her episode or the ones she in. And it will be the first finale of MLP I miss because she is in it.
>>
>>28586354
she has autism
>>
>>28586732
>I have never hated a character more than her
Same here.
>it will be the first finale of MLP I miss because she is in it
Don't worry, it isn't a real loss. The mane 6 ponies are completely irrelevant, so the episode feels like some kind of spin-off. It literally isn't a MLP:FiM episode.
>>
>>28586636
>It's broken bullshit alright
Follow your logic a NBA player is a Mary Sue just because the 99.99% of the basketball players of all the humanity aren't in the NBA, is not broken, the characters can't be all the same, just like all the people alive can't has the same skills
>>
>>28586354
Because while her powers are incredible, her crutch is that she is socially a wreck, and has difficulty handling leadership after the whole Town problem. Even when she was just doing fun things with "friends" she had to mind control them just so that she wouldn't have a panic attack. Starlight is a shut-in in a Friendship utopia, and no magic spell can help her with that.
>>
>>28586729
(You)
>>
Where the fuck did she learn to do all that shit anyway, she didn't go to magic school, even her backstory mentioned she wasn't very good at magic to begin with.
>>
>>28586757
>Let's make the show finales completely about arbitrary magic instead of cooperation and friendship.

The writers are just incredibly bad. 0 creativity.
>>
>>28586763
Twilight and her fucking clone are a thousand times better than every unicorn for no other reason than special. That's like if I was born superman. Don't try telling me it's not bullshit, talent in this show is bullshit. Magic in this show is bullshit. The writers give them new powers at a whim. Fuck, larson knew how to balance magic better than any of the new hack writers.
>>
>>28586354
Tell me exactly why Twilight Sparkle isn't a mary sue.
>>
>>28586773
Oh, your Highness, I feel so honored to get a (You) from the only person who can read TV Tropes. I'll treasure this moment forever.
>>
>>28586791
No friends, no distractions. She then spends all her time studying. Starlight's back story is a huge problem, though, and the only way you can justify it is of you believe Starlight is an autistic sociopath.
>>
>>28586804
They both are...
>>
>>28586679
You clearly have no idea how powerful of a motivator revenge is.
>>
>>28586802
Both twilight and starlight have legitimate reasons behind their power. Entire lives studying magic, pursuing power, also special talent even though you don't agree. But the part about magic and new writers being bullshit I can agree with.
>>
>>28586802
Larson gave unicorns the ability to fly.
>>
>>28586704
its not a headcanon, its how real life works, even a smart child can end up average if nobody pushes her to keep learning, the child might just grow lazy and never use his/her gift's true potential

same shit with Starlight, even if we assumed her power comes from being gifted we never saw any indication after Sunburst being gone that she kept trying hard to get good at magic except for her brief comment on preparing her revenge, which still is a stretch since who spends "decades" preparing a revenge like this without ever thinking twice?
>>
>>28586832
It's weird that a loner has enough charisma to lead a cult.
>>
>>28586858
That's not how real life works. Self motivation may be a rare thing for a A class normie like yourself to run across, but it does exist. There are plenty of stories in reality of people who were born gifted and self taught and became super stars or legends in their talent area. I know for an average joe like yourself, this seems unrelatable as you cannot accomplish anything without a support network but a show such as this is about the extraordinary folk of the land, not some simpleton or not the average pro, but the people of legends and fairy tails.
>>
>>28586846
as a child though? Unless Starlight is really damn stupid
>>
>>28586858
>its not a headcanon, its how real life works,
Jayzus Christ... Self-motivated people exist in real life.
>>
>>28586848
Their special talents are bullshit. I would have made Twilight just a normal mage instead of a total mary sue when it comes to magic. She could use artifacts and potions, and their would be clear limitations on the spells they have. Larson understood this. Have you even seen or thought about how stupidly op some of their spells are, which are conveniently forgotten for the sake of the story?
>>
>>28586858
You end your own argument right in the first sentence with the word "might". You can't say that Starlight doesn't make sense because maaaaybe she COULD have given up on magic as a kid. Life is full of maybes. What we do know is that Starlight is a very determined pony and that she doesn't give up on things easily. Do with that what you will.
>>
>>28586882
Modern children are all retarded, sure. They wouldn't be able to wrap their minds around something like revenge. Kids from the old days were a lot rougher.
>>
>>28586858
Sorry but it seems like you're just pulling this information out of your ass. Sure motivators help people progress, that's why they're called motivators. But just because there's no other people involved that we know of doesn't mean she wasn't perfectly capable, or that it was impossible for her to attain higher power o
>>
>>28586874
>A class normie
>T. Memer
Get out you fucking kid
>>
>>28586832
It still bugs me when I think about it.
She hated cutie marks because she thought it was the reason her friend left her, that's all well and fine, but that doesn't justify her forcing ponies to stay in her town and use threats and spies to keep them in line.
If she had issues making friends from fear of losing them, why did she bother with other ponies at all?
>>
>>28586874
This. Some of the greatest men in history became who they were through sheer determination. They didn't get help.
>>
>>28586866
Agreed. This is why I said her backstory is a mess. There's only so much you can count on muh revenge to explain. Both characters are fine, but the fact that her past self is the same as her current self can be a bit of a stretch. It isn't as jarring for people, though, because prior to her reformation she had only 4 episodes.
>>
>>28586874
Any able bodied person with a decent brain can accomplish anything they set their mind to, fuck anyone who says otherwise. I get that talent exists, but the way it's presented in this show is 100% ass.
>>
>>28586354
i guess the picture is suppose to prove a point or something? That spell was pretty boring and pointless, as that is not a real clone and instead just an afterimage. It would serve no purpose whatsoever in any situation.
>>
>>28586432
Funny enough, I read that first paragraph and thought you were talking about Starlight already.
"Good actions" in this case being "having enslaved a town".
So yeah, you're not making a very strong case.
>>
>>28586939
She can move and fly faster than rainbow dash.
>>
>>28586918
>you're just pulling this information out of your ass
And the your where is come from?, please say me, Where I can learn be smart just like you?
>>
@ 28586920
You get bodied by a well-thought argument, then get buttblasted because you're called a normie.
Boi.
>>
>>28586953
>move faster
right
>fly faster
no
>>
>>28586922
Here is a hint.

She is crazy.
>>
>>28586957
What exactly was your point here?
>>
>>28586809
>Answer a (you)
Fucking kek
>>
>>28586998
He tells that anon that his information is from his, but is ironic because this anon's information come from his ass too
>>
All I see in this thread is a bunch of moron butthurt that some new character dares to match their waifu and screeching 'no fair! sue!'. The fucking show already established that Twilight is nowhere near the highest grade unicorn yet (see Magic Duel) so if there are unicorns much stronger than her, existence of someone equal to her is pretty easy. Or is simple math too hard for you imbeciles?

I have waited 4 seasons to see what other gifted unicorns (not the village plebs you compare Twilight to) can do and I am fucking glad the show delivered with Sunset and Starlight. Gee, go cry a river about your stupid headcanons being broken, will ya? When Starlight makes interdimensional mirror, banishes a bunch of villains to another world, or designs alicornification spell maybe you'll have a case, now you're just a bunch of spoiled crybabies.
>>
>>28586393
/pol/ here. You neither.
>>
>>28586960
>@
Holy fucking shit you could not be more new. Please stop posting immediately and lurk moar.
>>
>>28587019
This.

There is no cosmic law that states only one insane magic prodigy can exist at once. Starlight and Twilight are roughly equal in power. Starlight however just got dealt a bad hand at the start while Twilight got a damn Royal Flush.
>>
>>28587023
>/Pol/
Opinion discarded
>>
>>28587019
Fuck you and your overpowered shithead fucking characters. Your "gifted unicorns" can eat shit and die.
>>
>>28587023
/a/ here, if anyone can identify a Mary sue it's us. Neither starlight or twilight is
>>
>>28587049
There's a line between talented and bullshit, they crossed that line by a mile.
>>
>>28587052
>Your "gifted unicorns" can eat shit and die
>clearly an underage
>>
@ 28587048
Nah. No ([REDACTED]) for tu.

>>28587023
/pol/ please.
>>
>>28587060
/co/ here. She's a Mary Sue
>>
>>28587062
Tell us why?
>>
>>28586693
Ponies keep slaves of other lesser species and Fluttershy was actually sold to another pony for an indeterminate time period at a swap-meet.
I don't think ponies are as bothered by the idea of slavery in general as we are. Sombra must have really cranked that shit up to 11.
>>
>>28587062
How? Starlight just never got a proper education. And she became a hell of a lot more threatening when she got some actual motivation after Twi removed her from the village.

Going from the flashbacks her special talent is amping up and combining spells for insane effects once she understands the building blocks. Said blocks being things Sunburst (and Twilight as an adult) taught her.

With actual motivation, she's able to really flex her magical muscle.
>>
>>28587062
Ever hear of a guy named Mozart? What about Alexander Hamilton? No? Maybe Andrew Jackson or Carnegie is more your speed. Surely youve heard about Obama.
Success stories are everywhere. Some people, even those who spent their life crawling in filth, can become great. It takes dedication, but it can be done. There is no bullshit line crossed here.
>>
>>28586354
She's too dorky, idiot. A Mary Sue is someone like Sunset who always has something witty to say and always manages to look like a cool guy no matter what.

Hypnotizing her friends and not understanding why that's not a good thing to do is not a Mary Sue thing to do.
>>
>>28587083
See
>>28586636
>>28586802
>>
>>28587111
Thats not Sunset being cool. It's the leather jacket. Notice she was significantly less cool in Legend of Evergreen. Leather jackets always make someone look cooler than they really are.
>>
File: IMG_1715.jpg (143KB, 1024x877px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1715.jpg
143KB, 1024x877px
>>28586960
>You get bodied by a well-thought argument
I'm not, is just I'm not take seriously somebody that talk with meme-words, I was laughing of you, memer
>>
>>28587113
And you see this>>28586763
>>
>>28587150
See my cock you fucking faggot. I responded to that already.
>>
A thread under assault by people who wouldn't bat an eyelash at someone saying some people are just born worse than others because everyone's seen a real life retard or two in their lifetimes and it is absolutely clear that they were born different from everyone else.....

....and yet screech like howler monkeys at the mere supposition that the opposite can be true, that someone could have been born very clearly different from everyone else in the opposite manner, always having been capable of far more than most people ever will be no matter how hard they try.

Say some people are born worse, they get sympathetic or point and laugh.
Say some people are born better, they attack like you just made their dick an inch shorter.
>>
>>28586354
She's a boring annoying cunt, but not really a mary sue.
>>
>>28587180
Nobody wants to see that clitoris you try to pass off as a cock.
>>
>>28587180
>people with talent or skills=bullshit
You can't call that an argument
>>
>>28586393
>>28587023
>>28587060
>>28587082

/mlp/ here, what the boards have to do with anything? All of those are full of idiots
>>
>>28587213
my clitoris is bigger than your dick, you fag
>>
>>28587243
I never said that.
>>
>>28586354
>is good at magic
>is shit at everything else

Tell me why Applejack isn't a mary sue, she's good with apples. Fluttershy is good with animals, Rarity is good at making shit.
>>
File: 1473914569292.jpg (97KB, 382x787px) Image search: [Google]
1473914569292.jpg
97KB, 382x787px
>>28586354
>>
File: 1475255151434.jpg (59KB, 640x348px) Image search: [Google]
1475255151434.jpg
59KB, 640x348px
>>28587023
>it's entirely irrelevant to the conversation but I am from /pol/ btw ;P
>>
>>28587434
>unrealistic
>star trek was unrealistic
Say that fantasy world is unrealistic is like say the sun is hot, whoever stables that meaning is/was a fucking idiot
>>
>>28587512
hey look everyone, the retards are pointing themselves out
>>
>>28587434
I think I see where this one is going
>>
>>28587512
Goddamn, you're stupid.
>>
>>28587520
Oh sorry baby, I broke your dumb internet word, the most part of the Internet terms are made by pretentious idiots, isn't a Mary Sue, if the character made something with no sense isn't a Mary Sue or Flanderization, is just bad writing,
>>
>>28587520
>>28587590
>Being this autistic
>No grammar skills
>Stating that Star Trek is realistic
>Stating that anyone who says Star Trek is unrealistic is an idiot
>Not acknowledging that you are an idiot
kys, anon.
>>
>>28586354

Sociopathy
>>
File: kage bushin.png (137KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
kage bushin.png
137KB, 259x194px
keep calm and kage bushin no jutsu
>>
>>28586354
she isn't a mary sue
just a shit mess of a character
>>
File: honest critique.jpg (23KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
honest critique.jpg
23KB, 300x300px
>>28586432
>twilight
>rewarded for her actions
>not rewarded for basically being there

>Starlight
>not an even more competent nerd than princess of plot device
Thread posts: 99
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.