[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

An Historical Perspective (CYOA)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 144
Thread images: 4

File: Book.png (1MB, 2100x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Book.png
1MB, 2100x1500px
Our true adventure will begin momentarily. Please enjoy the first cryptic exposition posts.

>You awaken to the sounds of silence.
>Your head is ringing, and in your mouth, there is naught but the metallic taste of your own blood.
>You can't remember what happened, or how you got here, or even why the smell of death permeates the air.
>But for the moment, none of that concerns you, for something far more frightening has occured.
>You have forgotten you.
>Your name, your purpose, your favorite color, even what you had for diner last night: all of it gone.
>You don't even know why this causes you to panic, and that only makes you panic more.
>But you calm yourself.
>Looking around, you don't notice immediately notice anything reflective, just mounds of snow, in a vast, cold landscape of white.
>So, for now at least, your appearance is out of the question.
>But maybe if you focus hard enough, you'll at least remember your name.
>And once you've got that, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out what your purpose in life is.
>You bring yourself to stand, every muscle in your body crying out in agony.
>Pieces of dented metal dig into your skin, and you're sure at least one of your legs is broken, but that's not what you're worried about right now.
>Right now you're focused on but two things.
>W H O A R E Y O U
>W H A T I S Y O U R P U R P O S E
>...

>For a moment your mind goes blank, but quickly your thoughts are your own again.
>>
>>28519022
>You are yourself.
>You have just succeeded in remembering your name and purpose in life, your special talent if you would.
>But there is still much you cannot remember.
>Much you do not know.
>You don't know how, but you've got to figure these things out, one way or another.
>But first, to take care of this leg.
>You'd come to the conclusion that it wasn't broken, just dislocated.
>You brace yourself for the pain, and slam your right flank down onto the ground.
>With a sickening pop, you can feel your joints snap back into place.
>Unable to hold back, you let out an agonizing scream.
>It echoes out into the vast emptiness around you and goes unanswered.
>Despite the pain you're in now, a feeling in your gut tells you you've been through far worse.
>So you shake it off and begin walking, unsure if the direction you're headed will bring you anywhere in particular.
>You walk for what feels like hours, through what feels like miles of snow.
>Eventually, you happen upon a frozen lake.
>The water must have been quite clean, as the ice has an almost reflective sheen to it.
>You can't make make out perfect shapes, but you can get a general feel for how you look.
>Up to this point, the only thing you'd known for sure was that you were a pony, but perhaps from this, you'll gain a bit more.
>W H A T IS Y O U R R A C E
>W H A T A R E Y O U R C O L O R S

>The very stress of your thoughts causes you to blank once more

Bef ore we continue on to the true adventure, some choices.

Mare or Stallion
http://www.strawpoll.me/11318012

Race
http://www.strawpoll.me/11318009
>>
And so OP sat in the dark loneliness of his thread. all he'd wanted was a little adventure, perhaps to bring some entertainment to his fellow horsefuckers. But he could not do even this. And so he resigned himself to a life of failure
>>
>>28519038
How about a pink coat for mare, or green coat for stallion.
Fuck if I know for the mane.
>>
>>28519167
It's only been twenty minutes. Nothing happens immediately; just wait.
>>
>>28519179
Green works as it appears we'll be going with an Earth stallion. I'll come up with mane color name and talent as I write.
>>28519218
Sorry just nervous
>>
>>28519235
Well, it's fine to be nervous. I was nervous when I started mine. All you need to do is wait.
>>
>>28519038
>You awaken
>You had that dream again
>It was a great deal more vivid this time and a tad more disturbing, but you'd learned not to let it bother you.
>If you did it would ruin your whole day.
>And if things had gone the way you though they had, today was not a day you wanted ruined.

>"HOY! SCRIBE! GET YOUR LAZY FLANK OUT HERE OR I'M LEAVING WITHOUT'CHA!"

>The voice screaming at you from outside your...
>Your what exactly?
>You take a gander at your surroundings.
>Nothing too special, four walls, a roof, a gaping hole that acted as a window, letting in the morning sun.
>Actually, this place wasn't special at all.
>It seemed more like a appropriated shack than anything.
>But hey, there was a mirror in the corner of the room.
>Maybe you could get a good look at the new you; or rather the old you.
>As you lift yourself from the literal bed of straw you'd been laying upon, a jarring thud comes from the other side of the room.
>A young unicorn stallion, his hair gray and his mane and tail black with a light pink stripe down the center, bursts into the room.
>He's glaring at you, but for what you don't know.

>"Hoy, Scribe, are you deaf, boyo? We don't have time for you to be mucking around like a lazy layabout. Our carriage leaves in five minutes, with or without us, and I'm a griffon's granddaddy if I let you ruin this for me.

>You stand there, rather confused, and altogether unprepared for this situation.
>The unicorn is waiting for answer
>How do you respond?

Choices in this adventure will be decided by first responders. Please try to keep your answers serious as i want to try to maintain a semi-serious tone
>>
>>28519400
Just go along with it I guess.
Follow him to wherever you're supposed to go.
>>
>>28519400
>>28519436
>Staring blankly at the strange unicorn, (who seems to know you one way or another) you stumble to find some words.

"Uhh, I, uh-"

>"Uh I uh, sweet Gilded Lily, Scribe, of all the days for a cat to steal your tongue it had to be today! Quick, just throw something half-decent on and come outside. I alreaady packed your sack, so don't worry about that."

"Umm... okay.

>Rolling his eyes, he turns and steps out of your shack.
>You spy a hooded burlap cloak on the floor next to the mirror.
>Before you put it on though, you decide to get a good look at yourself.
>It seems you're an Earth stallion, of average height and build.
>Your hair and eyes are an earthy shade of green and your mane is snow white
>Your cutie mark seems to be a quill and scroll.
>You don't look half-bad, actually.

>"SCRIBE!"

>The unicorn is getting impatient.
>You figure you might as well play along.
>There's really nothing else to do anyway.
>So you toss on the burlap cloak and make your way outside.

>"SCRIBE, I SWEAR."

"Coming, coming.

>You make your way onto the carriage where the unicorn is waiting.
>The two of you are it's only passengers, and your going away party is appropriately small.
>In fact it seems as though the unicorns parents are the only ones there to send you off.
>As they fade into the distance, you wonder why that is.
>Perhaps you could ask the unicorn.
>Actually, thinking about it, there are a great many things you should ask the unicorn.
>But what to ask first?
>>
>>28519620
Tell him you're drowsy and forgot where you're going and why, ask him if he can remind you.
>>
>>28519663
Yeah, ask all discreet like. Failing that we concede we have no idea who/when/where we are.
>>
>>28519620
>>28519663
>You glance at the unicorn.
>He still seems tense, but it's mixed in with what seems like giddy enthusiasm.
>It's a look that has graced your face many a time.
>You feel as though he'd be willing to answer your questions.
>But you have to be careful how you word it.
>You'd rather not arouse any suspicion or be deemed insane.

"So, umm... old friend?"

>"Hmm? What is it Scribe?"

"I. uh, just wanted to apologize for my slow start to the day earlier. I didn't want get much rest last night and-"

>"Ah, the dreams again, ay bucko?"

>You look at him in surprise.
>How did he know about your dreams?
>You'd never told anypony about your dreams!

"Y-Yeah, how'd you know?"

>The stallion chuckles to himself.

>"Those dreams have kept you awake at night since we were wee colts, Scribe. I understand the toll they can take on you at times. And t'be perfectly honest, I have an apology to make myself."

>You decide to play of his new, more casual attitude.

"Oh really? And what for exactly?"

>"For the way I treated you earlier. I didn't mean to yell at you in front of the whole village like that. I know you can't stand it, the way they all treated you. But it's just that I couldn't afford to miss this opportunity."

>Perfect
>He brought it up.
>You can play your ignorance off as a joke and symptom of your drowsiness.

"And what, my dear friend, would this opportunity be? My dreams have interfered with the mortal world and stolen the knowledge from my mind."

>"Heheh. That's certainly something that would happen to you, Scribe. Well, I suppose it's good for the both of us if I talk about it. It'll help to calm my nerves.
>"This carriage here is on it's way to Castle Aurus, the capitol of the glorious unicorn kingdom. There, I'm to succeed my father's position as court wizard."

>Well, now you're just confused.
>If this trip is for him, why are you along for the ride?
>You try to think of what else you could ask him.
>>
>>28519831
Ask why you're coming along then. are they throwing some sort of party that he wanted you to be there for or something?
>>
>>28519831
>>28519858

>You figure you'll ask why you're coming along.
>If you keep asking the questions in a half joking manner, maybe he'll keep answering them.

"So then, Mr. Fancy-Pants Court Wizard, if this little venture is all about you, why am I along for the ride, hmm?"

>The unicorn feigns being insulted.

>"Why, Mr. Scribe, how could you possibly forget?"

"A memory as leaky as mine needs some plugging from time to time, friend."

>"That it does, Mr. Scribe. Well, to plug your memory, so to speak, you are accompanying me, as my brother in all but blood and honorary unicorn, to act as a scribe."

"Appropriate."

>"Indeed. And you, Ghost Scribe, as my record keeper, will have the greatest honor in all the Three Kingdoms."

"And why is that, oh gracious would-be brother of mine?!"

>At this point you've both stirred yourselves into a frenzy
>The unicorn jumped and stood on his hind legs raising his fore legs to the sky (or rather the canvas ceiling)

>"BECAUSE I, STARSWIRL, SON OF THE STARGAZER THE WHIMSICAL, AM TO BE THE GREATEST MAGUS THIS WORLD HAS EVER KNOWN!"

>The stallions pulling the carriage to halt suddenly.
>He flies forward and falls onto his back, narrowly avoiding falling out of the carriage altogether.

One of the pullers, the leader presumably, shouts back at you both.

>"Oi! Keep it down! My men need focus if we're going to make it through this forsaken winter wasteland without getting lost.

"Aye, sir, won't happen again, sir."

>Starswirl looks at you, on the verge of tears.
>Tears of joy, you soon discovered, as he quickly bursts into guttural laughter.
>You respond in kind, with laughter of your own, but it's more uncomfortable than anything.
>After all, this unicorn had just told you his name was Starswirl.
>Could he really..., you couldn't be sure.
>Perhaps you'd figure something out once you'd set up camp

XXX

>Later that night,while the others slept, you had a choice to make.
>Rest? Or maybe...
>>
>>28520171
Holy shit Starswirl is our bff. I want to tell him our situation but knowing his best friend is gone, it's only us now might ruin his good mood. Let's rest I guess. Maybe something will come to us while we sleep.
>>
>>28520171
If everyone else is already asleep, I'm not sure there is much else to do, but sleep ourselves. Snooping through other peoples stuff is rude.
We have a bag don't we, lets see what's in it.
>>
>>28520238
>>28520171

>As you watch the campfire die, you decide against rifling through Starswirl's personal belongings.
>You wouldn't be able to see much in the dim light, and while you'd managed to make it through the day, you doubt your tongue would be quick enough to explain away that kind of disrespect.
>And in any case, this early into his life, you doubt he'd have anything on his personage that would peg him as THE Starswirl.

>So you decide to rest.
>The rhythmic snoring of the carriage pullers in the neighboring tent lulls you to sleep...

>You open your eyes, to find yourself in a black expanse.
>A hollow void, filled with nothing but you and your thoughts.
>It's immediately apparent that you're dreaming, but it's certainly not like any dream you've had before.
>You attempt to call out for somepony.

"Hello? Heellllooo? Is anypony here?"

>"Now that's a fine bit of logic. Tell me now, Mr. Seascrolls, why would anyone be here, in your mind, but you?"

>Oh.
>Goody.
>He's here.

"Well, you're here, aren't you?"

>"Welll..., yes and no. I'm just stopping by to provide a bit of advice."

"First, could you explain to me why exactly I ended up here?"

>"I said I was sending you to the beginning, didn't I. And this is the beginning."

"Beginning of what, exactly?"

>"Why the beginning of history, kid! This is where all of it begins! But just exactly what 'all of it' encompasses, I'll let you figure out for yourself."

"Your a ton of help."

>"Hey now, buckaroo, I just said I'd get you here, not that I'd hold you hoof the whole. Anyhow, our time's almost up, so let's get to that advice."

"Shoot."

>"I'm sure you're having a bit of trouble fitting into your new role. So why not dig into yourself a little? After all, they say that you can tell a lot about a mare by the contents of her saddlebag.
>"Surely the same would be true of stallions, 'eh?"

>And with those words, you are snapped into the real world,
>The rosy sky tells you that the sun has started to rise.
>>
>>28520463
proceed to dig through your bag.
>>
>>28520463
Do as the guy says.
>>
>>28520502
>>28520463

>It doesn't take a genius to figure out what the advice given to you meant.
>You remember Starswirl saying that he'd packed a sack for you.
>Most likely it was still in the caravan.
>So you made your way out of the tent, careful not to wake your unicorn compatriot.
>To your surprise, the caravan pullers were already awake and preparing to leave.
>They took notice of you, but said nothing.
>You had trouble reading them, but you doubted they'd try anything funny.
>So you lifted yourself into the caravan and proceeded to dig through your bag, embroidered with the initials, G.S.

>Nothing much of note.
>A dozen or so quills, an ink well, tightly sealed of course.
>You also happened upon a drawing, quite crude in nature.
>On it were four ponies, labeled Mom, Dad, Starswirl, and Me.
>In the corner of the picture, written quite neatly: By Ghost Scribe.

"Well that's cute. I wonder how lon-"

>Age Seventeen

"Oh. Oh my."

>Ignoring your apparent lack of artistic ability, you rifle through a mound of clothes and find a journal at the bottom.

"Jackpot."

>"Hmm?"

>One of the caravan pullers walks up to the edge of the caravan.

>"Didja call me boy?"

>Okay, you suppose his name must be Jackpot.
>Simple misunderstanding.
>Your prepared to explain the mistake away, but then again...
>This could be a good opportunity to strike up a conversation, learn a bit about your environment.
>Of course, then you might not have time to read the journal, and your nameless benefactor had recommended learning more about himself specifically.

>What to do...
>>
>>28520613
shoot, I meant, yourself.
>>
>>28520613
Tell them you were talking to yourself and weren't referring to him when you said jackpot and apologize for the misunderstanding.
Then read through "your" journal.
>>
>>28520651
>>28520613

"Oh, uh, sorry. I was just happy I found something. I didn't realize your name was Jackpot."

>"Oh. Well, no problem then."

>He quickly returns to his work, packing up camp.
>You, meanwhile, are quite eager to dig into the contents of the journal.
>Opening to the first page, you see that "you" have had it for quite some time.
>Dating back roughly thirteen years, the first few entries are little more than chicken scratch.
>They slowly get more coherent until the first legible entry appears roughly one year after the first

>July the thirty first, In the two thousand, one hundred and fiftieth year of our fair Kingdom, glory be to the Monarchy.
>So says the date, in a childish scrawl.
>And directly beneath it, a single phrase, written in large, blocky letters.

>NEVER FORGET TO REMEMBER YOURSELF

>These words, though somewhat incoherent, resonate with you, speak to something deep within you.
>Speaks quite loudly, in fact.
>So loud, it hurts!

"AAUUuuughhhh!"

>You begin to scream but stifle it quickly.
>The caravan pullers, give you strange looks, but soon go back to minding their own.
>You don't know what it is about that line, but your head nearly split in two, simply because you tried to read it.

>You consider ignoring it to continue with the rest of the journal.
>But then again, there must be a reason for that pain, something important.
>You'd rather not go through it again, but you're torn.
>>
>>28520835
Maybe we should wait until we have time alone to read that.
Read the rest of the book.
>>
>>28520835
Something about the pony we're trying to be? Seems important to me.
>>
>>28520835
>>28520860
>>28520857

>You aren't exactly sure what reading those words did to you, but right here, right now, it wouldn't be a good idea to go through it again.
>That page was definitely for another time.
>So you opt to read the rest of the journal.

>The third of August, 2150

"Huh. Guess he shortened the dates for convenience."

>In the same childish handwriting as before, it continues.

>Starswirl won't stop picking on me. He keeps saying he's better than me, but I know that's not true. Just cause he's gonna be some great wizard kinda guy and all that. Well I'll show him. I'll write lotsa books an' stuff and show him how much not better than me he is.

>The entries continue in a similar fashion for quite some time, until one dated for September fourth, 2159.

>I've been having those dreams again. They keep me awake at night. They also keep everypony else awake. So Mom decided that it'd be best if we turn the shed out back into a makeshift room of sorts. I've been sleeping here for a few days now. All the other fillies and colts have taken to making fun of me.., well, more than usual. They call it things like "The Mud Shack." I know they're really making fun of the fact that I'm a... that I'm a filthy mud sucker. I try to laugh it off, pretend I think it's funny, but it's not. I hate it.

>"Hoy, Scribe. Awake already, are you?"

"Yeah, I, uhh, just wanted to get some writing in."

>"How very like you. Do you have a few moments though? There are some important things I'd like to speak to you about."

>You'd like to continue reading.
>After all, you're just getting to what you assume to be the best part
>But if it's truly important...

Alright guys, that's all for me tonight. My head's killing me. I'll be back in the morning.

I hope you're enjoying yourselves so far. I am!
>>
>>28521061
Alrighty then, goodnight.
>>
>>28521061
I can talk to you.
>>
>>28521061
>>28521887

>You decide that the journal can wait a moment
>Whatever Starswirl has to say, if he says it's important, you figure you should listen.

"My writings can wait I suppose."

>"Thank you, Scribe. You see, we're on our way to Castle Aurus. That's the capitol of the Unicorn Kingdom."

"As you've said, yes."

>"And surrounding the castle is a rather large town, as I'm sure you know."

>You didn't know actually, but you pretended otherwise.

>"The way ponies carry themselves in that town won't be the same as the way they did in our village"
>"Nopony will bother to try and understand you.
>"Nopony will bother to try and get to know you."
>"Most won't even give you the time of day."
>"And, mind you, that's if you're a unicorn. Who knows how they'll treat you."

"What are you trying to say, Starswirl?"

>"You're my best friend and brother-at-heart.
>"And to everyone back home, you may as well be a unicorn."
>"But nopony in the castle town will know you, know your life story, or care to learn about it.
>"To them, you'll be little more than filth, a good-for-nothing mud pony, who belongs in the fields."

>You knew these words didn't reflect how Starswirl felt about you, but you were taken aback all the same.

>"I know it's not fair, Scribe, but it's just the way things are going to be. So fair bit of warning: don't let yourself get caught alone. Stay close to me and you might be able to get by with little more than a few dirty looks."
>"Understood?"

"Yeah. Yeah, understood."

>"Good."

>"Oi! We're all packed up and set to move out! Get yourselves seated and ready to move!"

>Leaving already?
>That certainly didn't take long.
>You watch Starswirl climb into his seat, opposite your own.
>Maybe you can talk to him, learn a bit about Castle Aurus and the surrounding town.
>Maybe even a bit about Starswirl.

>Or you could continue with the journal and learn more about the stallion you've become.
>Both seem pretty important...
>>
>>28523010
We're trying to learn about Starswirl, so let's spend some more time with him.
>>
>>28523010
>>28523175

>A book is a book, and chances are it won't be leaving anytime soon.
>But once you arrive at this Castle Aurus, you might not get the chance to talk to Starswirl much.
>So you set the journal aside and prepare to ask him a few questions.

"Starswirl?"

>"Hmm?"

"I know you've never been their personally, but maybe you could tell me a bit more about Aurus and the castle town?"

>Starswirl smiles softly.
>Reaching down, he grabs his bag and goes digging through it.
>For what, you don't know.
>A minute goes by before he pulls out a journal, similar to the one in your own hooves.

>"True, I've never been to Aurus. But the letters father sent me, during his tenure as court wizard, painted a picture as vivid as a spring blossom"
>"The ponies there never stop for anything, but only because they're all so busy with one thing or another."
>"It's a city of such intellectual diversity, of merchants and craftsponies, of bards and magi.
>"Salve-makers and astrologers, tailors and smiths for every metal! And schools!
>"Schools for the young, schools for the old, everywhere, knowledge to be gained!
>"But of course, the crown jewel of Aurus, so to speak, lies within the castle.

"And what would this so-called crown jewel be?"

>"Why the royal family of course! King Aurum, his sister, the beautiful and wise Gilded Lily, his wife Queen Silvertongue, and their daughter, the illustrious and oh-so-sought after Princess Goldheart."
>"The majority of father's would tell of how jovial and fun loving the royal family is, in spite of their stern and austere exteriors."
>"He's shared many a laugh with them, in between his studies of course."
>"From time to time, he'd even perform spells for their entertainment. He taught me a few of those a some weeks ago, when he returned home."

"Well, perhaps you could do a little showcase for me, 'eh brother?"

>"I'd be delighted, but I'm likely to set this caravan ablaze."

More conversation to come
>>
>>28523386
>You both laugh softly

"... You're really excited for all this, aren't you Starswirl?

>"My whole life, I've looked forward to this like nothing else. But you'd know that better than anypony, given how I used to torment you about it."

>You remember reading about that in "your" journal.
>He certainly had given Ghost Scribe quite a hard time, but looking at him now...
>The pained look on his face convinced you that he felt rather guilty about it all.

"Well, forgive and forget, right Swirly? No use dwelling on what's been done."

>"Says the stallion who's documented every moment of every day since he could write. But if you can forgive, I suppose I can do the forgetting."

>You share another laugh at this.
>Starswirl seems less tense then he was yesterday.
>Now he just seems nervous, anxious even.
>But your conversation has calmed him some.

>Looking out the open ends of the caravan you see nothing but white behind you and white ahead of you, with the occasional post marking the road.
>You wonder how long it will take to get to Aurus.
>You'd ask Starswirl, but he's engrossed in thought, writing something down in his own journal.
>And you'd rather not ask the caravan-pullers anything.

>Now would be a good time to do some reading.
>Then again, you woke up quite early, and could probably stand to catch up on your sleep.
>>
>>28523457
Sure, reading.
>>
>>28523466
>>28523457

>Sleep can wait.
>You need to learn more about yourself.
>You open the journal up to the page just after the one you'd been reading.

>The fifth of September, 2159

>Some ponies were fighting outside my sh- my room today. I was too scared to see who it was. I figured if I didn't show my face, they wouldn't turn their aggression on me. I don't know how long it lasted, but it seemed like forever. One of the adults came and broke it up though, Miss Constantine, I think. After all that, I figured it would be best if I just stayed inside all day. Starswirl brought me my supper that evening, and when he did, I could see his face was all battered and bruised, his right eye almost swollen shut. He wouldn't tell me how he got that way, but I could guess.

>Starswirl brought me a note from mom along with my food: "As much as your brother teases you, he loves you with all his heart. Just because you aren't blood-related doesn't mean you aren't family. Don't forget that."

>The sixth of September, 2159
>Starswirl still won't tell me why those ponies beat him. Says it doesn't matter. But It matters to me. And now that I've been through the same, I think I can guess what he did.
>I thought it would be okay to leave my room today. Nothing scary or weird had happened. I shared breakfast with Mom and thought I'd go find Starswirl. It took me awhile but I found him..., being harassed outside my room. The small crowd of our peers was hurling all kinds of insults, mostly towards me (they didn't know I wasn't there), but some towards Starswirl, they called him things like a buffoon, a dreamchaser, the son of one-trick pony. And while he stood fast, I could see how these words hurt him.
>Needless to say I came to his defense. I don't know who swung first, but a fight broke out quite quickly, and just like yesterday, Miss Constantine broke it up. Starswirl and I were just left there on the ground, battered. He gave me a look that just kind of said, "Now you know."
>>
>>28523639
Continue reading until we arrive.
>>
>>28523639
>The entries go on in a similar fashion for some time
>The other local colts attempt to harass Starswirl and Scribe.
>They immediately jump to each others defense.
>Eventually, everyone gets too old for this nonsense, but Starswirl and Scribe have grown closer than ever because of these incidents.
>Most entries after that are about Ghost Scribe's own aspirations.
>He wanted to write poetry, document history.
>Anything that involved putting a quill to paper, he wanted to do.

>A bit of a one track mind, but you could admire his dedication.

>"HEY! HEY, YOU, THE CARAVAN!"

>Some voice is shouting from the clouds.
>The caravan pullers seem to be wary of something.

>"What do you want, Pegasus?"

>The one named Jackpot emphasizes the word Pegasus with enough disgust, that the word itself sounds filthy.

>"Just wanted to give you lot a bit of warning. One of our weather regulation stations went all meltdown-like, and now there's a rouge blizzard heading this way."

>"Leave it to you bird-brained fools to mess up the one thing your responsible for."

>"Watch your tongue, Mud filth. Your lucky I had the courtesy to even bother telling you."

>"Well, could you muster up a bit more courtesy and tell us how far this blizzard is?"

>Roughly three days away."

>This seems to trouble the caravan pullers.
>They talk amongst themselves fro a bit before Jackpot turns to you and Starswirl.

>"Oi, you two. From here to Aurus, it's roughly a three day trip. We'd be cutting it close, but I think we could beat the storm,
>"O'course, if you'd rather play it safe, I know a village roughly half a day's journey from here.
>"We could ride out the blizzard there, if you want."

>You and Starswirl turn to each other, unsure of what to do next.
>>
>>28523747
We best be in a hurry to Aurus. I have a bad feeling about this storm.
>>
>>28523747
I say we try to beat, what do you think Swirl? If we are now Scribe we must do as he did. Find the latest entry in our journal and add what happened yesterday.

Who the fuck are we? How did we end up in Scribe? Where is Scribe now that we have his body?
>>
>>28523747
*You're x2
>>28523764
>The both of you agree silently.
>Or at least, you thought you did.

"Straight to Aurus!"
>"Let's play it safe."

>You turn to Starswirl once more, surprised.
>He gives you an equally confused look.
>It quickly turns to a smile.

>"You always have had the better ideas.
>"Or at least, your ideas have yet to steer me wrong."
>"Straight to Aurus it is!"

>"You heard them boys! Straight to Aurus! Double-time!"

>The caravan pullers break into a trot, then a gallop, then a full sprint.
>The caravan sways back and forth, and the motion isn't the most comfortable.
>But it's preferable to whatever that blizzard has to offer.
>You look out the back and watch as the pegasus disappears into the distance.

>It's far too bumpy a ride to get any rest.
>You can't get any good reading done either.
>Your only real options right now are to either sit in silence
>Or maybe strike up another conversation with Starswirl.
>>
>>28523823
All that info will be revealed in due time.
>>
>>28523910
I take it that means we fucked up?

So Starswirl, what can you tell me about the origins of this conflict between races?
>>
>>28523910
Well, if this turns out to be one of my worse ideas you'll forgive me won't you?
Said in a joking manner.
>>
>>28523948
That sounds like a dumb question we should already know the answer to.
>>
>>28524021
Well, we don't, so...
>>
>>28524039
I'd rather wait to find out another way and not look like an idiot.
>>
>>28523948
>>28523958
>>28523910

>You turn to Starswirl.

"So, if this ends up being one of my worse ideas, you'll forgive me right?"

>He smiles slyly.

>"Only if you promise to do the forgetting."

>Another moment of shared laughter.
>All joking aside though, there are a lot of things you want to know.
>So many things you want to ask.
>You'll start with something simple.

"You and I get along just fine, right Starswirl?"

>Right enough."

"And your a unicorn and I'm an earth pony right?"

>"Clearly."

"Well, how is it that we can get along, when so many others can't?"

>"A loaded question, that. The simple answer is that most unicorns and most mu-, er, earth ponies aren't raised as brothers from birth."

"And the complicated answer? Why can't we all just get along, Starswirl."

>Starswirl sighs and rubs his temples.

>"You and I have had this conversation too many times to count, Scribe. And it's more tiring each time it comes up.
>"Nopony knows when the three tribes started hating each other, and nopony knows when we'll all stop."
>"But for the time being, it just is what it is. We live among one another, and do for each other out of necessity."

"The pegasi control the weather, the earth ponies hold mastery of the earth and farming techniques, and the unicorns raise the sun and moon."

>"Exactly. A simple relationship born of necessity. Nothing more.
>>
>>28524074
Too late.
>>
>>28524079
How go your magical studies?
>>
>>28524079
You think they'd start liking each other after all that too. Darn this rough ride... I can't get any writing or reading done.
>>
>>28524100
>>28524079

>You're starting to get a tad uncomfortable.
>Maybe this wasn't the best question to lead off with.
>You should probably change the subject..

"So, uh, how go your magical studies, Starswirl?"

>Starswirl snickers.

>"Smooth topic shift, Scribe. Smooth as gravel. But since you asked, I'll have you know they're going quite wonderfully."
>"Like I said, Father was only able to teach me a few simple tricks, but I've been going over some of the tomes he brought home, and I must say, that they're quite enlightening."

"Do go on, in great detail, if you would."

>"Well, the first one I've started on is called "The Lifestream Hypothesis", written by famed wizard, Tella de'Tera.
>"You see, he was actually the first mage of the blue magi alignment. Apparently, while studying the appearance of magic in non-equine creatures, he was nearly roasted alive by a dragon.
> He was bed-ridden for months, but when he recovered, he found that he could produce fire just as powerful as a dragons breath, despite originally having been a non-combat oriented white magus!"
>"He theorized that magic existed not as substance unique to every individual, but as an entire stream, encircling the world, passing through every creature.
>"Basically, his research states that any creature with an affinity for magic need only be exposed to a particular form of it to use it in that particular form!
>"Isn't that amazing?!"
>>
>>28524349
That is interesting. Would that be unique to unicorns?
>>
>>28524349
That really is something! Tell me more about this "stream." How does it 'flow', per say?
>>
>>28524401
>>28524432
>>28524349

>Admittedly, you are rather fascinated.
>You don't recall ever hearing about anything like this before.
>Heck, you'd never even heard of Tella de'Tera before.

"That certainly is amazing. And you say this "Lifestream", it flows through all living creatures?"

>"Well, according to de'Terra's research, apparently so."

"So this ability to learn magic through experiencing it first hand..., It wouldn't happen to be unique to unicorns would it?"

>"Weelll, his notes never state that specifically, but to be fair he was and is currently the first naturally occurring blue mage in history."
>"The rest are artificially created, through technologies and techniques unique to the Unicorn Kingdom."
>"So to answer your question, probably, but we'll likely never know for sure."
>>
>>28524653

>That's a shame.
>You thought it might be cool if you could maybe learn some magic.
>The thought of all the pain you'd have to go through just to learn certain spells quickly turns you off to the idea though.

"So what else. have you learned."

>"Well, I haven't gotten around to reading it yet, but my father said this one in particular was a doozy to get a hold of."

>Starswirl reaches into his bag, pulling out a thick, yet compact, book.
>There's no writing on it of any kind.

"And what exactly is that?"

>"Father didn't know it's true name, but he called it the "Novice's Guide to Evocation." He said he never read but a few pages of it, didn't have a taste for."
>"Apparently, he managed to sneak it out of Negra Beliza while he was there on a visit with King Aurum."

"Negra Beliza?"

>"Yes, Negra Beliza. The city of rapid advancement. Nopony knows what secrets lie behind it's walls. Even the king himself has only ever been allowed to visit the cities alchemical district"
>"Even then, Father said that they were required to wear blindfolds the whole way there!"

"How'd he manage this book then?"

>Starswirl shrugged.

>"He claims he just saw it lying on a counter top, and stuffed it in his coat pocket.
>"Likely it belonged to a guard of some sort, as he saw one looking for it as they were re-blindfolded."

"Father sure was a risk taker."

>"That he was."
>>
>>28524866
What's in that book, exactly?
>>
>>28524917
>>28524866

>You're really curious as to what's in that book.
>The title said something about evocation.
>The closest synonym to that would be..., summoning you think?
>You don't know much about summoning magic, but you do know that where you're from, it's illegal.

"Say, Starswirl. We've got a long road ahead of us don't we? Why not crack that book open right now, give a look at what's inside?"

>"I suppose I could do that. You have better plans, but I have the steadier hoof."
>"Reading this should be no issue for me, even at the pace we're going."

>He opens to the first page and dramatically clears his throat.

>"Congratulations, Negra Belizan youth, for you have been chosen to stand as one of your cities elite."
>"As an evoker, your are Negra Beliza's first and most powerful line of defense, with the ability to summon creatures the likes of which would give most stallions nightmares."

"Oh my."

>"Hold on, there's some kind of note. "In the event that you have happened upon this book by mistake, imediately turn it in to the nearest figure of authority."
>"Evocation is not to be taken lightly, and the odds are that you will get yourself injured or worse by attempting anything listed in this tome without an experienced master of evocation to guide to."
>"I repeat: THIS BOOK DOES NOT ACT AS A SUBSTITUTE TO PROPER TRAINING."

>Starswirl notices you cringing, as he ends the sentence shouting.

>"Sorry, I was just getting into it. If this warnings anything to go by, I think I should just put this book away for now."

"Fair enough."

I'll be back in like two hours, I gotta go eat. I hope anyone playing is enjoying this so far!
>>
Hey, howdy hey, QM here.

Just need someone to determine our next course of action and we'll get this ball rerollin.
>>
>>28525199
Wait until things happen
>>
>>28525199
I'm looking forward to documenting life and times of "the greatest magnus the world has ever known."
>>
>>28525199
>>28526479

>Roughly an hour has passed since your brief conversation with Starswirl
>In that time absolutely nothing of interest happens.
>Nopony speaks, and only four sounds break the silence.
>The whooshing of the wind.
>The creaking of the caravan.
>The heavy breathing of the stallions pulling the caravan.
>And the sound of snow being trampled.

>As you watch the blank whiteness of your surroundings disappear and reappear, they all begin to coalesce.
>A soothing ambient lullaby, it brings you to a state of great lethargy.
>Your body moves against you and the world fades to black.

XXX

>"--y! S--i-e!"

>In the darkness, a voice calls to you.
>But you don't listen.
>Your perfectly satisfied, just where you are.

>"H-y! S--ibe, --u ni--y, w--e -p!

>The voice is still at it.
>You try to shoo it away.
>But how can you do that if you don't have any forelegs?
>This is an empty void after all.

>"SCRIBE! I swear, Scribe, if you don't wake up this instant, I'll beat you within an inch of your life!"

>The void disappears.
>You're you again.
>Except it's not a dream.
>And that void, whatever it was, that wasn't a dream either.
>Whatever it was, looking back on it, it was wholly frightening.

>"Good, good, you're back."

>Starswirl looks at you, relieved.

"Where'd I go?"

>"Thought I'd lost you to the cold, I did."
>"The first few hours, I thought you might just be resting your head.
>"Then another few past, and I started to worry.
>"But then you nearly went and fell out of the wagon!"

>You smile weakly, suppressing the initial terror of your near death experience.

"Now, now Starswirl, If I died now, who would document the life and times of the greatest magus the world has ever known?"

>He thinks for a moment.

>"Well then I suppose I'd just have to write them myself."

>You scoff.

"Well, I never!

>The stress of the experience has left you incapable of laughter.
>But Starswirl catches your meaning.
>>
>>28526667
Don't let me fall asleep again, please.
>>
>>28526667
I still feel bad, like we've hijacked his best friend and brother. I hope it's not going to be a full three days of making conversation with Starswirl. That'd be boring as shit.
>>
>>28526732
The ride ends soon, my friend
>>28526706
>>28526667

>Starswirl let's go of you,
>You're still somewhat weak from your brush with a literal cold sleep,

"Starswirl, can I ask a favor?"

>"Anything."

"Could you sit next to me and just..., well, just keep me awake if you would?"

>"I see no reason why not."

>He quickly grabs his bag and hops seats, taking a place next to you.

>"I hope you feel well-rested, Scribe.
>"That's probably the last decent bit of sleep either of us will get for a good while."

"What do you mean."

>"The one named Jackpot had the decency to tell me that to make sure we outpace that blizzard, this will be a ride with no breaks."

"So no sleep."

>"Do you really need anymore?"

"What about food and water?"

>"We have what we need and they have oat bags."

"Well, what if I have to go?"

>"The caravan is slightly slanted, it'll just drain out the back."

"Answer for everything?"

>"Always."

"Well, what if Jackpot and his stallions get tired?"

>"They claim they've done this many times before, and I'm willing to trust them."

"...Well, then I guess I am too."

XXX

>Day has turned to night
>And night has given way to the darkness before the dawn

>You "slept" for quite some time before hand, but your starting to lose your grip.
>Starswirl, however, lost his not to long ago.
>He's started saying strange incoherent things.
>You're not sure what will happen if you both get like this.
>Maybe you should do something to try and give him a little clarity back?
>>
>>28526842
Starswirl, on your hooves. Both of us.
>>
>>28526881
That's a good idea. Trot in place a bit, stretch what we can.

Up, brother! C'mon! Get your blood flowing!
>>
>>28526842
If we're really going to be at this for another day or two (though as foreshadowed that's doubtful) we should allow him to sleep his shift, slapping ourselves as necessary to stay awake and hold him on the wagon with us. After that it could be our turn.

I say this because, even should misfortune strike, sleeping in the cold without a nice warm body alongside- As he presently has- tends toward the fatal and we don't want either of us tired if suddenly called into action.
>>
>>28526842
>>28526881
>>28526936

>You figure nothing wakes somepony up better than a little physical exertion.
>So, as best you can, you hop to your hooves.
>It's a rough time, keeping yourself balance in this fast moving caravan, but it's definitely woken you up.

"Starswirl?"

>He doesn't seem to hear you.
>He's muttering something or other about "Spacial rending" and the "the roars of time eternal."

"Starswirl!"

>"Hn-hhg--Hoy! Ssscribe? What is it?"

"We're not gonna let a long ride and a little boredom get the best of us, are we?"

>"Wh-..., what are you-"

"NO! We are not!"
"Hop to your feet, wake yourself up!"
"Get that blood pumping."

>Still a tad confused, Starswirl jumps to his hooves.

"Now follow me, as best you can!"

>You begin some basic stretches, Extending your right foreleg.
>Slowly, he mirrors you.
>You quickly lower your foreleg and raise your right hindleg.
>He's confused for a moment, but quickly follows suit.
>You continue the pattern with the rest of your legs in a clockwise motion.
>You get faster and faster, and he catches on, trying to surpass your speed.

>But you switch it up, switch to trotting in place.
>He stumbles for a moment, but corrects himself.
>You see hints of a smile beginning to form.

>You switch back and forth between the two, occasionally dropping for a push-up.
>Starswirl's keeping excellent pace.
>But you can see that he's wearing out.
>To be honest, so are you.
>So you drop into your seat and, almost simultaneously, he drops next to you.
>You're both exhausted, but no longer tired.

>You take a moment to catch your breath.
>You can hear Starswirl gasping next to you.
>The sun has climbed over the horizon.
>You can feel Starswirl looking at you.

>"So *huff*, you wanna read *huff* a book?"
>>
>>28527192
Sure.
I hope it warms up soon. We can't stay awake forever. It's simply not possible.
>>
>>28527192
Yup, book sounds good. Summonings again?
>>
>>28527485
>>28527526
>>28527192

"I'd *huff* love to."

>You both take a minute to stop the gasping.
>Once you've both found your breaths, Starswirl reaches for his bag.
>He pulls out a familiar tome, compact yet thick.

"The evocation guide?"

>"I figure since we won't actually be summoning anything, it'll be fine if we just give it a read."

"...I guess."

>"All right, lets start where we left off."

>"Once again, allow me to congratulate you on being chosen to become an evoker. As you may know, this position is quite difficult to acquire, not just because of the rigorous training involved, but also due to the natural limitations of most ponies."
>"Most ponies are incapable of even seeing evoked spirits, enhancing their effectiveness on the battlefield, but also drastically reducing the rate a which proper evokers can be produced.
>"Note: If you have managed to make it this without being able to see evoked spirits, report your misdeed to your instructor and recieve your just punishment. Even if your first evocation is successful, you will doubtless be killed by a beast invisible to your own eye."

"Sounds brutal. I'm not sure what to think of these Negra Belizans."

>"Think of them what you will, they're geniuses.
>"Now, continuing..."
>"The first step, when evoking any spirit, is to draw a containment circle. For higher leveled spirits,specific runes with greater affinity towards those specific spirits is recommended, but for your first summoning, a general runic containment circle will do."
>"Next, you must recite the words of the lost language. For this particular step, the only part that must be modified is the name of the spirit being evoked."
>Fair warning: The power to summon comes from the words themselves, not the evoker. Do not summon a spirit unless you are confident you can control it or a master is present, as any spirit will turn on you upon sensing weakness."

More to come.
>>
>>28527782
"There sure are a lot of rules to this evocation business."

>"Well, all magic needs rules, Scribe. It's all dangerous in some way."
>"I'll admit though, that bit about the words having power and not the caster has me puzzeled.
>"How can words themselves have any power if the caster is too weak?"

>Starswirl stares at the page, intent burning deep in his eyes.
>He's thinking of something, and whatever it is you don't think it's good.
>A mischievous smile spreads across his face.

"Starswirl, you wouldn't."

>"I just need to know for sure, Scribe. Evocation sounded pretty far-fetched to begin with, but this bit about words has pushed me over."
>"I just need to know!"

>Before you can stop him he speaks in a language you've never heard before

>"Consurges ex somno tuo et ministra mihi. Ifrit, bestiam in ignem, vocat te!

>The words, though they mean nothing to you, seem to echo into eternity.
>A minute goes by and nothing happens.
>Starswirl seems disappointed, but also relieved.
>You're relieved, but certainly not disappointed.

"What were you going for anyway?"

>"Something called an Ifryte. The book described it as a dimunutive, imp-like counterpart to the Lord of Flames, Ifrit.
>"Bunch of cock-a-mamey, if you ask me."

"Are you sure you said if-RIGHT? I'm pretty sure I heard you say if-RIT."

>"Either way, it doesn't matter. It's not as if-"

>A deafening boom drowns Starswirl out.
>In the distance, a pillar of flames erupts.
>The earth quakes, the caravan shakes, and you and Starswirl fall flat on your backs.
>You see the guide hit the floor.

>You get up and watch in terrified awe as all the snow within your line of sight and beyond is melted immediately
>A heat wave unlike anything you've ever known has swept over you
>In the distance, you hear a blood curdling roar.
>And then you see it.

>A great horned beast, swathed in flame, its body the color of freshly drawn blood, has appeared on the now hazy horizon.

>And it's coming for the caravan.
>>
>>28527958
All right guys, that's all I got tonight. I don't know if I can post tomorrow, but I'll try my hardest to keep this thread alive if I can't.

I really hope you guys are enjoying this.
>>
>>28527971
Alright goodnight.
It's certainly getting interesting.
>>
File: GoodJob.jpg (24KB, 400x465px) Image search: [Google]
GoodJob.jpg
24KB, 400x465px
>>28527958
Loving it here, it just figures that Starswirl is the impulsive type. And hey, turns out we can see the beast so we're gifted! And kinda boned, but gifted nonetheless!

As for the story, liking it so far, keep up the good work!
>>
>>28527958
We can see it, so let's try to control it.

Command the thing to stop.
>>
>>28527958
Are you daft Starswirl!? How are we gonna stop that nightmare?!

>>28527971
I like that you gave Starswirl an accent.
>>
QM bump

I'll be back later tonight
>>
>>28527958
>>28529377
>>28529073

>You're absolutely engulfed in fear
>The creature before you already appears quite large, and it must be at least a mile behind.
>It's movements seem slow and lumbering, but you can tell it's gaining quickly.

>You'd like to yell at Starswirl for summoning this nightmare, but first you have to figure out how to get rid of it.

"Starswirl!"

>Your impulsive, over-eager friend is just barely managing to right himself.
>He looks out the caravan,
>He sees the same sights
>His reaction is quite similar.

>"I'm sorry!"

"Apology accepted, now get this thing out of here!"

>"I don't know how!"

"LOOK IN YOUR DAMNED BOOK!"

>"OI! What was all that bloody shaking and earth-baking about!? Are you lot doing something we should know about?"

"Just run, don't look back, and speed up if you can! Whatever you do, just don't stop!"

>"We're gonna need some answers first, mate!"

"How's this for an answer: whatever you're being paid, we'll make sure it's quadrupled! Just make like an ass, and haul out of here!"

>"Good enough for us!"

>The caravan gets faster, but only slightly so.
>The beast is still gaining.
>You can see it's razor point teeth, but you'd rather ignore them.
>You turn to Starswirl and see him pouring through the tome.

"Found anything?"

>"I didn't create a containment circle, so the banishing spell is entirely different! I ned a moment to memorize it!"

"We don't have a moment!"

>You return your gaze to the opening.
>The beast has come.
>Your entire body is hardly as large as its great yellow eye.
>You are frozen in terror once more.

>Ifrit senses your fear.
>And you watch helpless as it raises a mighty claw.
>>
>>28534188
Dammit, command the thing to stop like I told the MC to.
>>
>>28534188
If all else fails bail out of the carriage with Swirl in tow.
>>
>>28534219
>>28534188

>You snap yourself out of it.
>You turn to Starswirl once more.
>He's really choking this one.
>For somepony so impulsive, he sure is taking his sweet time reading.

>Figuring that there's no time to waste, you snatch the book from Starswirl
>He looks up at you, surprised and perhaps a bit..., hurt?
>No time to worry about that.

>Reading the page Starswirl was on, you read what you presume is the banishment spell.

"Ut detur tibi! Gratias ago vos! Vos liberi sunt ad relinquere!"

>As before the words. echo into the eons.
>The great, fiery beast stops in it's tracks for a moment, and convulses.
>It seems to be in some sort of pain.

>"NO! THE NEXT PAGE, SCRIBE!"

>As Starswirl shouts this, the beast resumes pursuit.
>It opens its vast, hellish maw.
>If you don't act now, a hellstorm will consume the caravan.

>Looking at the next page, you hazard another guess at what the spell might be.
>You decide on one quite quickly.

"Speravi tradetur! Rescinditur sententia! Revoco te sordida pecus! Ifrit Revertere ad incendia!"

>This time the beast does not merely stop.
>It freezes, mid stride.
>You don't know exactly what's happening, but you get the feeling that you've won.

>Ifrit explodes into a pillar of flame, much like the one that brought him here.
>From this close up, the heat and force of the blast are much more intense.
>The noise is so much that your ears ring.
>You can see the caravan's canvas roof begin to disintegrate.
>And then, silence.

>Miraculously, nothing of value is lost.
>Save for your eyebrows.
>But those grow back.
>>
>>28534376
Shut the book matter-of-factly.

Plus and minus.
Plus, apparently I have some talent for evocation
Minus, we almost died.
Plus, we're warm.
Minus, Our roof is burnt.

I don't think we should be messing with that stuff.
>>
>>28534407
>>28534376

>You close the guide triumphantly.
>And then toss it angrily into the corner of the caravan.
>That thing is now high-class hot garbage.
>You refuse to allow yourself or Starswirl to touch it for as of yet undetermined amount of time.

>Starswirl watches as the book skids across the floor.
>He seems dejected.
>But also proud?

>You figure you should say something to the pullers.

"Hey, Jackpot! You guys can slow down now!"

>"No can do! I have absolutely no idea what you two boys did, but with all that snow gone, at this speed we'll be to Aurus by days end!"
>"We'll be earning that quadruple pay you pro- Oi! What happened to the roof?!"

"We'll cover it!"

>You return your gaze to Starswirl
>He's sitting sown you now.
>Exhausted you do the same.

"Well, we almost died, and my eyebrows have been singed off, along with a god portion of this caravan's roof."
"But on the bright side, it's warm now. And if this whole ordeal is to be any indicator, I've got some kind of talent for evocation!"

>Starswirl just stares at you.
>He's probably viewing this as a failure on his end.
>But you're not sure how you could spin this in a way that would cheer him up.

Would you like to skip straight to Aurus. or endure the rest of the not-so-wild slightly-awkward ride with Starswirl?
>>
>>28534527
Finish this conversation, then we can skip.

Hey Starswirl, what's wrong? You can talk to me, you know that.
>>
>>28534527
Fuck I'm retarded. I meant to say Starswirl was sitting down.
>>
>>28534527
Finish the conversation. And hey, we found our magic talent! Pretty good for a mud pone! We NEED this book. Even summoning an imp would be enough to get bullying unicorns off our ass.
>>
>>28534599
Of course. We're not gonna through it away, we just don't want to be taking it lightly.
>>
>>28534611
*throw
>>
File: DubsIronWill.jpg (91KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
DubsIronWill.jpg
91KB, 960x720px
>>28534611
Yup. High on our priorities should getting Starswirl to lend it to us or study it WITH us once we get to town until we've got the ability to summon a little helper.

Also we seem to have awesome digits.
>>
>>28534527
>>28534536
>>28534599

>The ride continues in silence for some time.
>Starswirl hasn't said anything for hours.
>You doubt he will unless you try to pull something out of him.

"So, uh, how you doing there, sport?"

>That sounded forced as all hell.
>Starswirl looks at you with an eyebrow.
>Your memory temporarily lapsing, you attempt to do the same.
>Starswirls expression loosens as you raise a patch of bare skin.

"Oh you think that's funny, do you?"

>You unleash a rapid assault of would-be eyebrow motions.
>Starswirls somber expression melts away.
>He laughs heartily as he watches your bald patch dance.

>"Hahaha, *Ahem*. That's quite enough, Scribe."
>"You're wondering what was bothering me, right?"

"Am I that transparent?"

>"As your eyebrows."

"So are you gonna tell me, or should I do another little dance?"

>He sighs heavily.

>"I failed, Scribe. I dove in over my head and failed.
>"I got to caught in not wanting to make another mistake and failed."
>"This whole mess was just complete failure for me!"
>"Hell, you had to save me! An Earth pony, no magical ability of your own!"
>What kind of grand magus am I supposed to be if I couldn't even do this..."

>Starswirl seems to be on the verge of tears.
>You can practically here his pride shattering.

"Well..., well look at it this way. They say failure's the first step in the learning process, right?"
"I mean, I'm sure that de'Tera guy didn't figure that Lifestream nonsense out all in one go, right?"
"And who knows how long it actually takes to get the hang of this evocation nonsense, 'eh? As far as I'm concerned, I got outrageously lucky."

>."Your point, boyo?"

"My point is, you're counting yourself out too quickly. If you duck your head at every failure, you'll never get anywhere."
"Just keep on keeping on, and eventually you'll get where you want to be."

>"...I suppose you're right, Scribe. Thanks."

>Starswirl takes to looking at the sky.
>You follow suit.

more to follow
>>
>>28534733
>The sky is the bright vibrant blue of a summer afternoon.
>In the aftermath of Ifrits rampage, all is peaceful, and even the caravans ludicrous sped doesn't bother you.

>Thinking back on the events of the past two days, you're quite surprised at how close you feel to Starswirl.
>You feel like you've known him forever (which in a sense you have).
>And in this moment, you feel as though the two of you could take on the world.

>Your thoughts drift,
>Drift to the guide, specifically.
>It's a dangerous little tome, that much is obvious
>But there's no doubting it could come in handy later down the road
>For now though...

>It remains high-class garbage.

So ends the "Journey to Aurus" Arc! Tomorrow we enter the unicorn capitol and discover what wonders await!

I'll probably post again around the same time. I'm glad you guys are getting invested.
>>
>>28534781
Cool, looking forward to it. Goodnight
>>
it's going to be an adventure!
>>
>>28535566
>>
have a bump from nine.
>>
>>28538523
>>
>>28534781
>Jackpot and his stallions were true to their word.
>As the sun begins to set, and snow once again begins to blanket your surroundings, a great mass comes into view.
>It's a wall, tall and sturdy looking.
>Some areas look worn, but you can only think of a hoofful of things that might be able to topple it.

>The caravan steadily begins to slow.
>Before it reaches the great wall, it comes to a halt.
>Outside, you can hear the heavy footsteps and clanking metal of a guard, clad in armor.

>"What's in the wagon, mud peddler?"

>You can hear Jackpot's crew mutter i disdain.
>Jackpot himself remains calm.

>"Just a couple passengers. We've just been on our way from Ambris, roughly two days journey."

>"Funny you should say that, cause I was just in Ambris not too long ago."
>"I don't know what kind of fool you take me for, but in that weather, with your cart in the condition it's in?"
>"I might have believed you if you'd said five days."

>You hear the sound of metal slapping flesh.

>"But with a story like that, I hope you aren't too offended that I DON'T

>SMACK

>"QUITE"

>CRACK

>"BELIEVE YOU!"

>You hear a sickening squish.
>Something in your gut tells you you should speak up.
>But you also remember Starswirl's advice: stick close, lay low.

>The look he shoots you says just the same.
>But can you really just sit there?
>>
>>28540719
As much as it hurts, do as Starswirl says.
>>
>>28540719
I'm afraid Starswirl is the only one that can make a difference here. Encourage him to go help our driver and explain to the guard.
>>
>>28540769
>>28540719
>>28540839

>The thought of inaction troubles you.
>But you'd rather not suffer a beating before you've even entered the city.
>So you just sit in silence, ashamed with yourself, but intact.

>Starswirl senses how uncomfortable you are though.
>You can see it in his face.
>Maybe he'll say something?

>He motions to speak up, but stops himself.
>He's hesitant, but you believe he'll do the right thing.

>"H-Hoy!'

>Starswirl meant clearly meant for that to come out as authoritative.
>But his voice cracked, and it sounded more like some kind of sick dog.

>"What in the world was that?"

>"Sounded a bit like a cockatrice, Sir."

>"A cockatrice? Ahh, so a bunch of smugglers are we?
>"None too bright though, bringing your quarry here, instead of some mud filth podunk."
>"Vitae! You go 'round right. Alcum! You on left.

>"Yessir!"
>"Yessir!"

>You here muffled hoofsteps from either side of the caravan.
>You shoot Starswirl a dirty look.
>He catches your drift.

>"I said HOY."

>"So there's more to your operation, 'eh mud smuggler?"
>"Who's in there?"

>"Just a couple of travelers, on their way to their destiny."
>"My name is Starswirl, son of Stargazer. And I'd rather the stallion responsible for my safe passage here not be beaten to death.
>"If it's all the same to you that is."

>"Stargazer? Your the son of that whimsical bastard? Why, I escorted him home, just some weeks ago.
>"He's the whole reason I went to Ambris!"

>"But, wait a moment, mud filth, you said couple of passengers, didn't you?"
>"Who else is in there? Speak up or we'll assume the worst of this situation!"

How do we introduce ourselves fellows?
>>
>>28540978
Scribe, sir.
Starswirl is the head of this party, we're along with him.
>>
>>28541000
That'll do.
>>
File: This.jpg (5KB, 202x204px) Image search: [Google]
This.jpg
5KB, 202x204px
>>28541000
>>
>>28541000
Logical response, Tripsmen

>You figure the only logical response would be the truth.

"My name is Scribe, sirs. Ghost Scribe. Starswirl is the leader of our humble party, and we're along with him.

>"Ghost Scribe? Can't say that sounds familiar."

>"We can confirm he is an erstwhile companion and member of our party of two."

>"If you say so, Starswirl. Either way, we're going to need you both to step out the back of this caravan."
>"Slowly, of course."

>You and Starswirl do as you are told.
>The caravan creaks and squeaks as you both jump out.

>"Starswirl, you walk 'round with, Vitae."
>"Mr. Scribe, you walk 'round with Alcum."

>Again, you do as you are told.
>As you walk around with the guard named Alcum, he glances over you.
>He stifles a laugh, but snickers audibly.

>The two of you come around, meeting up with Starswirl and the guard named Vitae.

>Their commander gives you an ocular once-over.
>He stops on your forehead.
>He also stifles a laugh.

>"What happened to your eyebrows, mud born?"
>>
>>28541230
They were burned off by a fire. The same fire that nearly destroyed our caravan here.
>>
>>28541230
Let's just say that there was a spell that was miscast by Starswirl. Proof being my eyebrows and carriage.
>>
>>28541273
Also the truth, and I agree.
>>
>>28541230
"I was observing Starswirl as he manipulated the forces of magic a tad too closely a ways back during the journey, sir. The same incident damaged the carriage. He is a most powerful sorcerer, sir."
>>
>>28541301
>>28541273
>>28541248

>Once again, you figure the truth is the only way to go.
>Not the whole truth.
>Just a half-truth.

"My dear br- companion Starswirl was practicing his magic roughly halfway through our journey."
"He miscalculated the strength of his spell, and well, let's just say the caravan and I were lucky to escape with what damage we have. He's quite the powerful sorcerer, sir."

>"Is he now?"

>"...,You know, I couldn't help but notice you stumble over your words there, Mr. Scribe."

>The one named Alcum has spoken up.
>You don't know what his intentions are.

>"You said companion, but you clearly meant to say something else."

>"You think so, Lieutenant Alcum? Well, then, spit out boy. What did you mean to say?"
>>
>>28541509
I was going to say... Brother, sir. But I know that would seem ridiculous to you.
>>
>>28541509
"I am, like most scribes, from a monastery and am accustomed to calling others Brother. Occasionally I misspeak."
>>
>>28541554
I have to go with this.
>>
>>28541554
>>28541621

>You slipped.
>You slipped and now you don't know how to recover.

>"You see, sir, Ghost was assigned to me from the Monastery of Screeching Eternity, a brotherhood of scribes in-"

>"Watch your tongue, Starswirl. Else your friend might lose his. Let him speak for himself."

>Starswirl quickly falls silent.
>You appreciate his attempt, but this seems like another job for the truth.

"I..., I was going to say brother. Brother, sir."

>"And why is that, Mr. Scribe?"

>Lieutenant Alcum asks this with a mix of curiosity and what seems to be concern.

"Starswirl and I have been raised as brothers from the time we were foals."
"I don't know anything about where I came from, or who my parents were, but that really doesn't matter at this point."
"I have a father in Stargazer, a mother in Lady Estrella, and a brother in Starswirl. That's all I need."

>"Commander Barques?"

>"Touching. Really, I'm all choked up. But then explain why you felt the need to correct yourself."

>Can you do that, boy?"
>>
>>28541705
Well, sir, I apologize, but it was more of a slip than anything. I'm actually a little afraid at the moment, after what happened to Jackpot. I know that my place is beneath you, and I didn't want to offend by comparing myself as equal to a unicorn.
Forgive me, please.
>>
>>28541705
Because I am an Earthpony, sir. I lack the horn those that I consider family are blessed with and many would consider me unworthy or too filthy for me to consider myself kin to them.
>>
>>28541787
>>28541793
These. A bit of bowing and scraping might help.
>>
>>28541947
Honestly, our dignity is a small price to pay for not being beaten.
>>
>>28541970
Don't overdo it though*
>>
>>28541793
>>28541787

>You continue on.
>You don't know where this sudden spill of emotion and information is coming from.
>It's as if your mouth has developed a mind al it's own.

"Because I'm an Earth pony, sir. I didn't want to offend you. I have no horn, I have no magic, and to be perfectly honest, I'm afraid."
"The stallion that brought us here was just beaten, simply because he was suspicious to you. I feared what would happen, had I attempted to claim kinship with one so much greater than I."

>From your peripheral vision, you can see Starswirl's head sink with guilt.
>You don't mean to hurt him with these words.
>But you'd rather not hurt yourself by saying something stupid.

>The one named Barques sneers at you.

>"You'd do well to remember that fear, mud slime. It'll serve you well in Aurus."
>"And worry not, I feel you'll find that you and Starswirl aren't so different from one another soon enough."
>"Let 'em go boys!Oi, you bums up there, open up the gates!"

>With that, the guards let you go.
>The main gates begin to open and you're given a glimpse into the bustling city of Aurus.
>As you and Starswirl walk through the gate, your belongings are carelessly tossed at you.

>"Good luck, boys!"

>Commander Barques is shouting at you in condescension.

>"And welcome to Aurus!"

>As the gates close, all you can focus on is Lieutenant Alcums somber expression.

>You pick up your bags and Starswirl picks up his.
>Everything's there, even the evocation tome.
>Staring into the busy streets, you feel you're both thinking the same thing, and Starswirl confirms.

>"So, should we find an inn? Or just stand here with our hooves up our rumps?"

That's all for tonight folks. I'll be gone until monday cause of an 11 to 11 work schedule on sat and sun. I'll try to keep this alive until then.

I hope you guys are ready for some real important decisions to pop up! on monday.
>>
>>28542079
I'm still concerned about the ponies that brought us here. Did they literally get smooshed?!

Important decisions on Monday. Hope I'll be on in time!
>>
Bumpulio
>>
>>28542079
I'm sorry about that, Starswirl. Call me a coward if you'd like, but I didn't like where that line of questioning was going and I was willing to say what they wanted to hear to avoid a beating.
>>
mercy bump, for every thread gets one.
>>
She had that Bumparillo Brillo
>>
>>28547010
>>
>>28548066
>>
>>28548066
>>28548895
QM, phone post bump

I decided to do a short run tonight cause fuck my sleep. I'll be back around 10:30 PST.
>>
>>28549717
Cool. I was going to say that I can't say much about this CYOA so far other than I wish you ran earlier.
>>
>>28549745
I run early on my days off. I technically work three days a week but they like to call me in a lot.

I promise things will be sufficiently more interesting now that we're in Aurus.
>>
>>28542079
>>28543394

"Uh. yeah, an inn sounds fine."

>"Aye. Let's go then. Father told me about one that popped up some years ago."
>"The Bull Pen it's called, or somethin'."

>You can hear Starswirl's voice cracking.
>And you remember the look of intense guilt he wore as you berated yourself to the guards.
>Maybe you can right the emotional damage you've done here.

>You struggle to find the right words.
>You're so engrossed in thought, you hardly notice the mutters of gossiping mares, wondering what you could be doing in their city.
>The mumbles of stallions, calling you things like guttersnipe and dirt whisperer.
>The snickers of fillies and colts, who don't know they're supposed to revile you.
>They just think you're missing eyebrows are funny.

>Finally you decide to stop thinking and just say what you need to say.

"Starswirl, I'm sorry for the way that went."
"I didn't mean for that brother bit to slip out, but that Alcum fellow caught my mistake."
"I didn't have much else I could've done. You saw what they did to Jackpot and his crew!"

>"Actually, I didn't."

>Thinking about it, neither had you.
> Commander Barques stallions had completely blocked your view of them.
>This was a Schrodinger if ever there was one.
>You sure hoped they were okay.

"All I'm trying to say is that I'm sorry for being a coward. I didn't want to be beaten and-"

>"Hoy, Scribe, boyo, there ain't nothin' wrong with a bit o' cowardice every now and then.
>"If you'd tried to tell some kinda lie like I had, you'd've ended up a pulp in the snow."

"So you aren't mad?"

>"Not mad, not miffed."
>"I ain't even ashamed. A greater brother I'd likely never find.
>"Doesn't bother me one bit that those guards know."

"Well, then what is bothering you? You're acting like someone drowned your goldfish."

>At this, Starswirl clams up again.
>He just keeps walking, looking for the inn as if he hadn't heard you.
>You're not sure if you should pursue this further.
>>
>>28551300
It's possible that he didn't realize just how much danger he put you in, bringing you here, and he's worried. We could go on that assumption for now, but personally I'd try to wheedle it out of him.

Depending on the Event Horizon and if it fits into the story, I really, really want to gain some means to defend ourselves with as soon as we can.
>>
>>28551300
Starswirl, you know how much I worry when you stop talking to me.
>>
>>28551300
>>28551330

>You consider that maybe Starswirl is feeling guilty.
>Based on what you'd read and the conversations you'd had,the decision to come to Aurus together had been mutual.
>But you had been unprepared for the level of unabashed contempt and disdain that the unicorns held for you (and Earth ponies in general it ).
>Maybe Starswirl was afraid for you.

"And maybe all these maybes and considerations won't get me any real answers."

"Hey, Starswirl. Come on now, speak up."
"Come on now, Mr. Grand Magus, you know how your silence worries me."

>He stops for a moment and looks around.
>After taking in the surroundings, he sighs deeply.

>"If you're really so interested, Scribe, I'll tell you."
>"It was what that Barques fellow said, when he was talkin' about Ambris."
>"He acted like father had never mentioned you."
>"And what's worse, he called our father a bastard!"

"Well, he might have been joking around."
"Maybe he was a friend of Dad's?"

>"Father never mentioned a Commander Barques. And he didn't sound like he was joking, though he was certainly havin' a laugh."

"Well, we can't really know for sure."

>"Maybe you're right. And anyway, we've got other things to worry about right now."

"Like finding the Bull Pen?"

>"Like finding anywhere."
>"I've gotten us completely lost."
>>
>>28551449
Have Starswirl ask the next non-violent-looking pony where the Bull Pen is. They'll probably talk to him. Just try to look humble if they glance your way.
>>
>>28551449
>>28551478

"Well, that problem is easily solved. Give me a second."

>You scan the crowd in front of you.
>It's hard to find a friendly face of any kind.
>Especially since your desperately trying to avoid anything that might resemble eye contact.
>But your darting eyes soon settle themselves on a mare purchasing various foodstuffs at a vendors stall across the way.
>A plum colored thing, with a voluminous, curled black mane, she seems to carry a demeanor of tolerance about,
>You can't say for sure how you know this, but she's the one you and Starswirl should be talking to.

"I think I found somepony we could ask for directions."

>"Who?"

"Plum hair, black mane, at the vegetable stall."

>"The one with the tired purple eyes?"

"That's the one."

>"I guess we could give it a shot."

>The two of you carefully and quickly trot across to the mare in question.
>She's too busy examining the quality of the celery in her hooves to notice your approach.

>"Excuse me, milady?"

>"Hmm? Are you referring to me?"

>The mare's voice is smooth and sweet, calming and velveteen.
>Her very acknowledgement of you and Starswirl seems to lift your spirits."

>"A-Aye, I was. My friend and I were looking for the Bull Pen and were wondering if you could provide us directions."

>The mare gives the both of you a soft smile.
>Her eyes, half-lidded as if under some great weight, bathe you in the warmth of her gaze.

>"I might be able to do the two of you one better."
>"I own the Bull Pen, you see."
>"I was just doing my shopping for the week, but if you're willing to follow me, I could take you back to the inn.
>"When I'm done with the shopping, I mean."
>>
>>28551616
Oh this is good! OK, offer to carry stuff for her, and the two of you tag along. Doing her a favor might help with rental rates, plus we get a tour of where to shop!

Nice digits, too
>>
>>28551616
>>28551636

>Things are going quite well.
>You got pretty lucky, picking her of all ponies, out of a crowd.

>"We'd be glad to, milady."

>"Oh, none of this milady business."
>"So stuffy and inauthentic, that word."
>"It's a word for lordesses, and one of those I'm not."

>"What would you have us call you then?"

>"Well, I do have a name, surprising as that may seem."
>"And I might even tell it to you, if you tell me yours."

>From what you'd read in "your" journal, Starswirl usually relished in introducing himself to new ponies.

>"I'm Starswirl, son of Stargazer the Whimsical."

>"And what about your companion there, the silent Earthie?"

>She says Earthie playfully.
>It is not an insult but a genuine joke.

"My, uh, name is Ghost Scribe."

>"And my name is Rain. A pleasure to meet you Starswirl, Ghost Scribe."

>Rain performs a mock curtsy and giggles.
>It's a soft but pure laugh.

>"Now that we're all acquainted, let's finish up my shopping."
>"And hey, now that I think about it, this'll be a good way for you to get a better feel for this city.
>"Heaven knows you'll never truly get a feel for its residents."

"What was that?"

>"Oh, nothing, Mr. Scribe.
>"Nothing at all."

>You and Starswirl followed Rain in a roundabout route through the city.
>She show's you which merchants are the friendliest, which have the best prices, and which ones are better off avoided.
>She even goes so far as to purchase a map for you, marking every location of worth and how to get there.
>This mare is truly above and beyond anything you'd have expected from this city.

There's more to this but I can't keep my eyes open any more. I'll be back with the second half of this post and more quest, same time tomorrow.

Thanks for sticking with me, lone late poster
>>
>>28551761
It has been a pleasure and an honor, esteemed QM.

It's for the best that we have a full quorum of players on hand for the Big Decisions anyhow, I'd no doubt have our party roasting over a spit in short order if left to make them alone. Until next time!
>>
Bumpo
>>
>>28552334
>>
>>28553342
>>
>>28554502
>>
Bamparoo
Thread posts: 144
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.