[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 8

I'm currently writing a fanfiction that take place in MLPFIM universe. Got any advice?
>>
>>28494146
Don't be a faggot.
>>
File: mini marshmallow sez.jpg (105KB, 960x730px) Image search: [Google]
mini marshmallow sez.jpg
105KB, 960x730px
>>28494146
Fuck you.

Kill yourself you namefagging retard.
>>
>>28494146
Use Nyx from Past Sins
>>
>>28494160
How about you make you fucking dumbass!!!!!
>>
>>28494146
Don't
>>
>>28494146
>>
>>28494146
>>28494214
I think I've found one of the EqD fags.
>>
>>28494215
Don't what?
>>
>>28494146
>Writing fanfiction
How degenerate
>>
>>28494250
It's that a yes or a no?
>>
>>28494353
You're degenerate for not writing one
>>
>>28494146
The following advice is true on /mlp/, Fanfiction.net, and Fimfiction.

Try to avoid shipping. People will downvote you for including a ship they don't like. (Obviously, downvotes only apply to Fimfiction, but the other two sites have their own equivalents which I'm sure you can infer for yourself.)

Use both indentation and line break for dividing chapters. For scene breaks, use a horizontal rule. Obviously doesn't apply to greentext stories.

Don't use any dialogue tag besides "said". Doing so is a violation of the holy scrit of writing.

Never use semicolons. They come off as pretentious and will confuse anyone who doesn't know how semicolons work, which will be most of your readers.

Don't be original. Originality is the fanfic-killer. There are certain themes and conventions that you are expected to follow. If you subvert, criticize, mock, or in any way defile those conventions, you will get downvoted into the toilet.

Try to make your descriptions as flowery as possible. Even if it's incomprehensible and doesn't hold up to scrutiny, purple prose will make the masses feel smart.

Related to the above, make sure your word count is as big as possible. The masses are impressed by big numbers. So be sure to add as much filler as possible.

Make sure you lay out all character motivations and feelings neatly, clearly, and with no ambiguity, as you are writing for people with special needs. There will be a few people who will criticize you for this, but they are a very small minority, and they probably won't notice your story in the first place if you don't please the masses. Most readers will criticize you for -not- doing this, as they will put you at fault for not explaining these things properly.

Related to the above, don't write complex plots. The masses don't like piecing together plot threads and plot elements any more than they like inferring character motivations. Keep it as simple as you can.

Just a few examples, because I'm bored. Good luck, OP.
>>
>>28494146
kill timber
>>
>>28494339
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo
>>
>>28494555
Thanks but I have a few question.

What's wrong with being Original?

I thought Filler was a bad thing?
>>
>>28494600
Like guy said in taken.
>Good Luck
>>
>>28494575
Should I kill Brad as well?
>>
>>28494647
>What's wrong with being Original?
People read fanfiction because they want familiarity. If they wanted originality, they wouldn't be reading fanfiction.

>I thought Filler was a bad thing?
It is for certain audiences. The audience you're writing for isn't one of them. You want filler because you want large word counts. Brevity is a sin, not a virtue.
>>
>>28494656
I don't need luck. You're as good as dead. I'm gonna come down harder on you than a 5 ton sack of shit. Watch your back. Watch your fucking back.
>>
>>28494695
I'm living in Russia right now. And I'm pretty KGB will kill you before you even move a muscle. You faggot horse apple.
>>
>>28494678
So they don't want to read an boy who move in recently?
>>
>>28494555
So basically I'm writing for pretentious autistic self entitled small minded fools.
>>
>>28494740
You mean a boy who moved into Equestria? They'll eat that shit up. Though, if you're on /mlp/, you'll have to make him Anon.

>>28494775
Now you're getting it! You'll become horse famous in no time.
>>
>>28494713
I hope the KGB arrest you and read your shitty fanfiction at your trial, so everyone knows your a faggot before you get ass raped in jail.
>>
>>28494941
>Implying I speak out against Putin.
>>
>>28494865
Will people like an EQG fanfiction?
>>
>>28495035
Definitely.
>>
File: ss.png (458KB, 486x409px) Image search: [Google]
ss.png
458KB, 486x409px
>>28495022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhZOi2y75SM
You'll be an anecdote one day
>>
>>28495051
Do you have to be a skilled writer?

Why anybody used Anonymous instead use fake name?
>>
>>28495035
>>28495051
Well I definitely won"t
>>
>>28495102
>Do you have to be a skilled writer?
As long as it's readable, skill is irrelevant.

>Why anybody used Anonymous instead use fake name?
On /mlp/ people prefer Anonymous because that's the 4chan Brand (tm) self-insert, rather than all the Tylers, Brads, and Stevens who make up the self-inserts on Fimfiction.
>>
>>28495102
People like to self-insert as a character, but if you are doing EQG you are in luck, as you can generally use Normal Norman who is basically a blank slate character with an a name and appearance and actually appears in the first two films.

You are always going to face a hurdle when you have a new male character that isn't Anon.

>>28495035
I would, but I only really care about EQG fics that have action elements in them, SOL EQG rarely does it for me.
>>
>>28495087
I have more respect for him then my own president who have negative 100% respect
>>
>>28495148
Got any tips for my OC in terms of story telling?
>>
>>28495224
I have an entity that's basically hermaeus mora from skyrim http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Hermaeus_Mora
>>
>>28495238
He should be vulgar, abrasive, pushy, and solve all his problems with violence in the most badass way possible. I.e., the sort of person your readers wish they could be in real life. He should also be loved by everyone despite being an utter asshole. Anyone who doesn't love him should be either a villain, a moron, or an misguided person/pony who will see the light as soon as your OC shines it to her (and it must be a her).
>>
>>28495145
Should you use fake name if you are talking to someone so they know your the been talking too?
>>
>>28495238
Treat him like an actual character if he/she isn't a self-insert. This means he/she needs to have a clearly defined personality and needs to be able to brings something to the world and characters. Don't immediately start delving into his or her backstory, have that be something that is brought up throughout the story.

You need to ask how your OC is entertaining for the reader always, otherwise it ends up as bad self-insert FanFiction.
>>
>>28495275
It can't hurt.

Also, don't listen to this guy >>28495276. He has taste. You aren't writing for people with taste.
>>
>>28495274
Well he's suspicious with Principal Celestia with her misguided, stand on the pillar of morality. While Vice Principal Luna keeps an close eye on him for past misdeeds.
>>
>>28495302
That sounds interesting.
>>
>>28495300
This only proves my point and if you wondering why I been typing like a madman is because I watch Putin's anecdote some idiot posted me.
>>
>>28495302
That's good. A lot of your potential readers hate Celestia for being an authority figure, so having your OC correct her swiftly and brutally will win you brownie points with them. But be careful not to make Celestia too sympathetic. Just because she's not a bitch in canon doesn't mean she shouldn't be in your fanfic.

Luna as an antagonist is a flaw. She should be the insider. The man sticking it to the man. This is because Luna is a popular underdog-type character. Your OC should be amicable with her; perhaps even romantically involved.
>>
>>28495350
I was thinking that my OC will some sort bond Sunset, Fluttershy, Apple Jack, and Luna for my EQG fanfiction.
>>
>>28495429
Perfect. Sunset, Fluttershy, and Luna are all great choices. Although, I'd recommend replacing Applejack with Rainbow Dash, as Applejack acts better as a minor antagonist. Also, add SciTwi.
>>
>>28495453
Why would I replace AJ with RD if AJ acts a good antagonist?
>>
>>28495496
"Antagonist" means "bad guy". In pony fanfic, it means someone who will be mean to your OC so he can put her in her place, thus making himself look like a badass.

You want RD because she's more popular, and her fans tend to be representative of your target audience. Applefags are few, and tend to have taste, so you'd do best to ignore them.
>>
>>28495453
The Ideal is that he bad experience from his previous high school which cause him to cynical and little or no trust in others.
>>
>>28495527
Again, excellent. But don't let that stop him from stealing waifus.
>>
>>28495522
I'm assuming doing this to Luna be harder. Yeah RD and OC will buttheads after the main cast find out his secret.
>>
>>28495537
Its hard to steal waifus if they don't interest with the OC in the first place.
>>
>>28495551
>buttheads
no, I mean they should be romantically involved. Shimmer, Fluttershy, Luna, Rainbow Dash, and Sci-Twi should all love your OC no matter what. Rarity, Applejack, and Celestia should be the ones your OC butts heads with.

>>28495562
You're the author. Make them interested. There doesn't have to be a valid reason.
>>
>>28495572
Why exactly Rarity and AJ are the antagonist?
What I'm mean is RD won't trust OC at first and it be justified after the secret is reveal. But conversely OC will be attracted to her for physical body and her persona.
>>
>>28495572
This is my first time writing a fanfic.
>>
>>28495631
>Why exactly Rarity and AJ are the antagonist?
Rarity because she's the most stereotypically girly while also being slightly stuck up. Applejack because she isn't popular and tends towards the whole "brutally honest" thing, which makes her perfect for saying something critical of the OC.

>What I'm mean is RD won't trust OC at first and it be justified after the secret is reveal. But conversely OC will be attracted to her for physical body and her persona.
Oh. That's alright, but only as long as there are (very very VERY obvious) hints that she's secretly attracted to him, and it should end in sex once the conflict is resolved. Tsundere Rainbow Dash is immensely popular.
>>
>>28495657
Isn't RD and Sugar do the Brutally Honest thing. Because I think AJ won't do it unless you're very close.
>>
>>28495678
Look. You're overthinking it. Your audience will -never- think through your story this much. Just follow the conventions, and your fanfic will be autistic catnip. Putting thought and realism in your story is a good way to get it ignored.
>>
>>28495707
Should the story be completely focus on the OC or can it deviant some chapters to other characters?
>>
>>28495725
Focus on the OC as much as possible. Only focus on other characters if they're stating their "honest" opinions about him without him around to hear it, as this will be the easiest way for you to establish who's good (i.e. people who like the OC) and who's bad (people who don't like the OC).
>>
>>28495757
When my OC should tell his back story?
I'll eating dinner be right back like 10 or 15 minutes.
>>
>>28495774
Normally, a fanfic writer will lay out his backstory in the introductory paragraph. Easy enough for your retarded audience to understand, but it also might bore them.

It's also common for the OC to tell it to his chosen waifu so she'll give him pity sex, or at least a pity hug. I recommend going that direction.
>>
>>28495807
I partly did that in the first chapter. Should my OC explain why he get transfer is ask?
>>
>>28495896
Sure.
>>
>>28495906
does it exactly have to be sex or hug pity?
Or can it be like console and promise to help him out?
>>
Is there a limit to numbers of character in a story?
>>
>>28495925
Any of them. It doesn't matter.

Anyway, this is getting redundant. You clearly have a knack for this, and I told you all you need to know. Just write up your thing and post it on the EqG general, Fimfiction, or wherever you plan on posting it. Some people will hate it, but at least ten times more people will love it.
>>
How should I pace myself.
>>
>>28495955
Pacing should be at snail's pace.
>>
>>28495954
Thank you. You have been the most useful and friendly. have good night.
>>
>>28494146
When you're done submit it to EQD.

They won't take it unless it's unoriginal and beats you over the head with its themes.

Even if the writing is good, they'll still reject it for not anally following their 90% subjective rules of writing.

They won't tell you what's wrong with it, just that it's wrong.

Oh, and they'll break every one of their rules for submission for somebody else's story becasue they feel like it.

t. Been writing since 2013, never got on EQD
>>
>>28495970
You too, anon.
>>
>>28495971
Do you have an account for fanfiction sites? You seemed to be an expert on this matter.
>>
>>28495983
Yes. You're clearly a newfag so I won't post my account. If I was an expert I wouldn't be writing fan fiction. I'm ashamed of the people who've spoonfed you so far.
>>
Why must people like garbage tropes?
>>
>>28495971
Building off what he said, are EQD prereaders still slow and shitty? I was actually about to submit something becasue I like viewers and being horseword famous.
>>
Just make it intelligent and interesting. Do a good enough job of this and you may replace Haber & co for Season 7
>>
File: Sourswuu.jpg (172KB, 740x825px) Image search: [Google]
Sourswuu.jpg
172KB, 740x825px
wtf, Im ashamed to be a part of the fandom now

That being said, now I sorta understands why that guy who wrote Sour Sweet x OC at Fimfiction always gets a feature on that site..
>>
File: skeptical_twi.png (254KB, 640x634px) Image search: [Google]
skeptical_twi.png
254KB, 640x634px
A lot of the advice in this thread seems like the opposite of what I should be seeing.

Is intentionally dumbing down your writing really the best way to create fanfiction?
>>
>>28498120
In a way yeah, easy to read fics are fun to understand.
>>
File: fam.jpg (5KB, 268x188px) Image search: [Google]
fam.jpg
5KB, 268x188px
>>28498120
If you want to get popular for writing something, especially now-a-days, yeah. As a writefag myself, I can tell you that all of the people who liked original ideas and things other than clop fics are long gone. All who preside on FimFic are greased up lardos that only want to clop, if you try going outside the box and writing something that tries, you know; being a story, it seems to get downvote bombed. I've seen this with my own writing and a friend, who wrote a retarded 1000 word shock fic we came up with as a joke, and it ended up getting huge. He then wanted to do something with a little bit more substance, and has only gotten a tiny fraction of the exposure his previous story got.

tl:dr edition: writing for fun is something nobody likes to read.
>>
>>28498120
Sorta. It makes it easier for you to manage as well as the average mouth breather to understand.
Mostly the advice is just ribbing, though there's truth in that familiarity/cliche tends to make it more likely that your story is going to get more popular.
I mean, take a look at all the green here.
Most of it is just smut with the resident self-insert character, Anonymous, fucking horses.
That sort of thing is more likely to get popular than a green with no smut.
>>
>>28494555
Nice digits, but I disagree with you whole heartedly m8.
I will agree that some readers are just fucking autistic and don't want you to ship or have any originality, but are you writing for them?
I feel like you should write the story YOU want on your OWN style. If not many people like it, well so be it.
What matters are the people who do and that you tell the story YOU want to.
At least that's my two cents.

Source: Me (almost completely uknown writefag)
>>
File: image.jpg (38KB, 265x358px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 265x358px
>>28494146
Kroenen in Equestria
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.