[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does Equestrian sound like?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 9

File: Sleepy horse noises.png (102KB, 700x600px) Image search: [Google]
Sleepy horse noises.png
102KB, 700x600px
If the native language of Equestria was Equestrian, what do you think it would sound like, to us?

I always imagined it as a softer form of itallian. Or perhaps Irish without the rolling R's.
Something that flows very naturally off the tongue, with a lot of "fa" and "la" sounds. Not many hard sounds and many softer ones (eg G's pronounced as in gym, instead of in got.)

Imagine the ponies speaking a hard language like german, or the sharp asian ones. Wouldn't it just seem off for how gentle they are?

Anyway, do you have any opinions on how our little horses talk?
>>
[nicker]
[grunt]
[huff]
[shriek]
>>
>>28390579
They speak English retard
>>
>>28390579
Neighs, snorts & whinnys.

Seriously, if I get to Equestria and those fucking things don't at least whinny some of the time I'm gonna be so pissed I'm just gonna start swinging a golf club at anything that moves.
>>
>>28390579
Man I love fics where there's a language barrier between the horses and whatever hapless human has fallen between worlds this time.
>>
>>28390579
I've had a couple divergent thoughts on this. One is that yes, something like Italian would be appropriate - definitely one of the latin descendants/romance languages. Maybe almost a bit lyrical sounding in practice?

The other is that it would be something completely and utterly different from any human language - incorporating neighs, nickers, snorts, huffs, and similar horse-ey sounds in combination. Drawing out those sounds to replace words (i.e., like Trixie does - "nei-i-i-gh sayers") is the equivalent of dragging out a sarcastic vowel in English (e.g., "Well excuuuuse me").

Either way, I also like the idea that the 3 tribes historically spoke different languages, and one of the big problems in forging a cohesive Equestria was building a language all 3 would speak. The end result is closer to the Unicorn and Pegasus dialects - the former had the most access to written documents and so could more easily write the rules of the new language, while the latter traveled the easiest and so could spread their language farther. Earth Pony traditionalism means their original language is in fact the best preserved, however, with instructions on speaking the "pure" tongue passed down through generations.
>>
>>28390813
>Canadian
>Japaneses
>>
>>28390919
Or alternately, the ponies are like Chewbacca.
Everyone understands his grunts and roars...he understands human speech.
>>
>>28390973
No you have it wrong, Canadians speak Mandarin not Japanese
>>
>>28390579
A mixture of dead latin and ancient greek, with a variety of horse sounds applied where they can't make some human sounds.
>>
>>28391010
How does this work exactly? Our myths of unicorns and pegasi come from when they visited earth some two to three thousand years ago, and mlp is just an instinctive memory of our lost connection. The reason this generation has attracted so many people to watch, is because something about them is innately familiar.
>>
File: 1001740.png (1MB, 2600x2765px) Image search: [Google]
1001740.png
1MB, 2600x2765px
>>28390579
https://youtu.be/HN-SDABQc-k
>>
>>28391024
Time to go write a fanfiction
>>
>>28391136
Do it.
>>
>>28390579
Horse noises
>>
I can't believe this board still exists.
>>
File: Kang and Kodos.png (205KB, 548x499px) Image search: [Google]
Kang and Kodos.png
205KB, 548x499px
>>28390579
By an astonishing coincidence, English and Equestrian are exactly the same.
>>
File: 1459330525333.png (69KB, 272x286px) Image search: [Google]
1459330525333.png
69KB, 272x286px
>>28392480
>>
Equestrian is english. We know because things like french, german, arabic, etc are all shown in the show to be based off real life languages, and equestria is shown to be america and canada.
>>
>>28391136
No, seriously, what are you waiting for?
>>
>>28392720
Well, you're not wrong, but I admit I do like to imagine that it's a 'for the viewer to understand' caveat - like how in Game of Thrones everyone speaks English in their primary scenes and other languages are used sparingly to show when someone is speaking something even more exotic, even though we objectively know they aren't all speaking in English - and that realistically they would have their own horsespeak language.
>>
>>28391031
get cancer
>>
>>28392720
>equestria is shown to be america and canada.

Well, except for the existence of Canterlot and the fact that it's got immortal goddess-princesses.
>>
>>28390579
Their modern language is English in both speech and written form. Some time before the events of the show, they used pictograms for written form.

I always imagined they made horse sounds for their older spoken language.
>>
>>28392720

>>28393165 This, their capital city and government is based on Great Britain. Rule Britannia!
>>
>>28390950
Idk I personally like your idea more on the first part there and it sounding kind of lyrical might incorporate that into my future super shitty writings
>>
>>28390950
>Anon has trouble with horsewords because making a lot of those sounds is hard with an ape's mouth.
>He's normally pretty intelligible, but when he's angry his accent goes completely to shit.
>>
>>28392927
That's how I think of it. Actually, a lot of the inconsistancy in the show I find can be dealt with a similar explanation. Of course we don't see any pony genitals, it's a cartoon. That doesn't mean that the "real" versions of them have no genitals.
>>
File: hAC1NKE.png (374KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
hAC1NKE.png
374KB, 640x360px
>>28392927
>"Your Russian is very good."
>>
File: gulliver11.jpg (13KB, 288x175px) Image search: [Google]
gulliver11.jpg
13KB, 288x175px
Probably something like the language spoken by the Houyhnhnms in Gulliver's Travels.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_mDTLphIVY
>>
>>28393667
That is, admittedly, one of the places I was coming from: I remember one story where a pony commented that they didn't think a human would ever be able to properly speak un-accented Equestrian because they lack the proper mouth structures to. Said human got to be decent enough to be understandable by those familiar him, though.

>>28394246
kek
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.