[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I stopped watching pony a little bit after season 5 started.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 9

File: derpy monocle.gif (51KB, 519x543px) Image search: [Google]
derpy monocle.gif
51KB, 519x543px
I stopped watching pony a little bit after season 5 started. Saw the first two episodes, but my laptop died and I didn't really feel like watching all the episodes on my phone. The episodes were okay, standard pony episodes honestly. My friend continued to watch them up until the episode where they did Winter Wrap-up again, and told me it was an incredibly stupid episode and pretty much stopped watching the show after it.

I was pretty into the show for the most part (bought merchandise and was collecting the comics), but felt my interest start to wane around the end of the 3rd season. I still watched season 4 and enjoyed the majority of it, but I've since stopped collecting the comics and stuff like that.

Lately I've had a bit of an urge to watch pony again though, and I was wondering how was season 5 and if it was worth it to catch up on pony? Has the show degraded in quality so much that I should just suppress the urge and watch something else?
>>
>>28278311
If you like the later seasons
4>5>2>1>3>6
If you like the earlier seasons
1>2>4>5>3>6
>>
>>28278317
I like the later seasons but nothing will ever beat S1
>>
>>28278311
>I stopped watching pon-
Stop
>>
>>28278317
6 has been that bad? Is it because of the baby character they added?
>>
>>28278311
I think season 5 and 6 are worth watching.

Season 6 is kind of a mixed bag, some episodes are quite atrocious.
But you will see a comparable amount of episodes reminding you why you are watching this in the first place.
And I haven't felt that way about the incredible bore fest that was season 4, IMO.
>>
>>28278363
It isn't that, Glim Glam, or the old writers dropping like flies. It's just that most episodes are a lot more boring than previous ones. When you get to a sixth season, you'd expect bigger and more interesting plots, not slipping into mediocrity. People can shit on SpongeBob all they want but at least they tried different things in their sixth season, even if they were complete travesties and they slightly returned to normal in Season 7.
>>
>>28278363
No, the baby only appears in like three episodes. Season 6 is terrible because some writers are newfags who never watched the show, so in too many episodes the characters act completely stupid and ooc.

It's true that this season had like 4 really good episodes, so if you can ignore the rest, the season is worth a watch. But I can't. I feel like the terrible episodes are too bad and completely ruin the canon for me. Honestly, I'd rather have stopped watching the show after season 5.
>>
>>28278385
>>28278367

Yeah, it's to be expected. I figured that with them messing around with having an overarching story, like how they did it in season 4, they'd keep things interesting. How as the DnD episode, the 100th episode and the one with the changeling? Those are the only ones I know anything about, but haven't watched them yet.
>>
>>28278407
>DnD episode

Thoroughly mediocre, more about visuals than actual story. Cements that Discord's reformation in S3 was pointless.

>100th episode

Pretty fun. I enjoyed it, though memers will say it was an abortion or something it really wasn't that offensive to anything.

>The one with the Changeling

It's a Spike episode, but in S6 that means that it's one of the best.
>>
File: 1456700102771.jpg (28KB, 409x360px) Image search: [Google]
1456700102771.jpg
28KB, 409x360px
>>28278317
No no, more like
5=2>1>4>3>6

1>2=5>4>3>6

>>28278367
Also basically this
Season 4 kept it safe and because of it it's low weren't that low. While it's high weren't that high.

>>28278311
OP if it's not to much to ask when was the last time you watched a new episode of pony?
>>
>>28278428
>OP if it's not to much to ask when was the last ?>time you watched a new episode of pony?

Last episodes I watched was in the beginning of season 5. The first two episodes.
>>
>>28278397
I feel the show always had a mix of really bad and really good episodes.

I mean, even in season 1!
Season 2 and 5 are the ones with the best ratio bad/good.
And 6 and 3 are the worst in that regard.

And we always had really bad OOC episodes.

I just focus on the good things.
And I will never let a bad episode ruin my experience.
Even if a share your disappointment with some of the new writers, I think most of the episodes ranged from enjoyable to stellar.
But we also had 3 of the worst episodes of the whole series on one season.

So well, if I remove them, pretend they never happened, like Princess Spike and What about Discord in season 5, I don't have such a bad time with season 6.
>>
>>28278407
I really enjoyed the DnD episode.
It's not a "lore building" one, it's a really humor oriented one, and I really liked it!
It's a good one to offset the Changeling one coming right before it.

I really liked the Changeling one.
It gave me the feels.

The 100th episode is a lot of fun.

None of theses are my favorites of season 5 and 6, but are pretty solid episodes.
>>
File: 1452546951103.png (330KB, 1600x990px) Image search: [Google]
1452546951103.png
330KB, 1600x990px
>>28278437
Right just double checking.
>>
>>28278438
Thank you Anon. I know this is silly, but your post makes me want to try to do the same. It isn't much, but even the slightest hope when you're hopeless means a lot. This probably sounds ironic, but I'm being completely serious, I needed it.
>>
>>28278438

>And we always had really bad OOC episodes.
>But we also had 3 of the worst episodes of the whole series on one season.

So these episodes were worse than "Mysterious Mare-do-well" and "Spike At Your Service"? I'm curious which ones these 3 episodes are.
>>
>>28278608
Not him, but MMDW2.0 and "Applejack Is Now Completely Stupid, Fuck You: The Episode" are probably two of them. Also, Dave Rapp's episodes are shit. So this season had 4 of the worst episodes of the whole series.
>>
>>28278481
I just realized I somewhat lied about the last thing I watched. I didn't watch the entire episode, but I did see some of Flutter Brudda, mainly the cold opening, some of Shy's brother weaseling his way out of doing work, and the ending song where he makes a wig and graduates something. I wasn't sure if this counts as seeing enough of the episode to judge it, but I will say this: The song Fluttershy and Rainbow sang just did not feel..authentic? It just felt very phoned in, and nothing like the songs from the early seasons.
>>
>>28278676
This song is not that bad, but the transition was sloppy.

The episode itself is not the worst, not the best either.
>>
File: 1453652493727.gif (358KB, 777x864px) Image search: [Google]
1453652493727.gif
358KB, 777x864px
>>28278438
I feel you mate, I really do. Bad episodes are a given no matter the season but this sixth is doing a number on my hopes for what these writers can do. No matter how bad the 3rd season's episodes were its biggest weakness was always it's 13 episodes. There where still good episodes worth rewatching along with the duds but this season. The duds had started to outwiegh the good in this season since the beginning and I say that even after enjoying todays episode.

>>28278676
Anon why did you lie?
>>
>>28278753
Didn't mean to lie. I just forgot that it was on when I came home from work early to get ready for my vacation. My friend was coming over to pick me up, and as I was waiting for him, I turned the tv on in god knows how long, and saw that pony was on. I turned it on, but still had a few things left to pack up. I left it on as background noise as I did this.

As I said, I didn't watch all of it, and only caught a few things from it. I felt that it wasn't enough snippets for me to judge the episode as a whole, you know?
>>
>>28278608
Oh yeah they were worst than that!
Not by much actually.
But at least 2 of them are undoubtedly the most awful of the whole series.

Somebody else answered for me.
And he pretty much nailed them! (applejack day off and 28 pranks later)

But on the other hand, I will not be that harsh on Dave Rapp's work.
His episodes are certainly not the strongest, but they have their appeal for some of us.

I'm kind of a minority on that, but I really felt s06e03 was boring as fuck.
I nearly fell asleep!

I never known why this one got a pass for that many of us!
But I really need to watch it again to see if i'm being too harsh on this one.
Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it.
But God, I never felt bored out of my skull watching MLP!
>>
>>28278820
I disagree with some of the episode choices of this Anon, but will agree that the biggest faults of several of the episodes are that they are boring.

In my opinion that's the biggest faults with the weakest episodes of the season so far; that they are boring and nothing gets done. This truly feels like the first season where you can skip several episodes and miss basically nothing of value or much enterainment.
>>
>>28278820
>But on the other hand, I will not be that harsh on Dave Rapp's work
>His episodes are certainly not the strongest, but they have their appeal for some of us.

I know I'm not being completely fair with Dave Rapp. Objectively, his episodes weren't as bad as MMDW2 or ADO, but they have an interesting problem. Instead of playing it safe, he tries to deal with very sensitive topics. And he fails really badly.

For example, Newbie Dash was about "what if your life dream isn't exactly what you expect?". It's an important question, the moral "don't worry, it isn't the end of the world" was really positive, so I totally understand that some people rate the episode for what Rapp tried to do, which in theory was something good. But in practice he's a mediocre writer. The moral was poorly delivered, some scenes were unnecessarily awkward, and the pacing was terrible. If it was a regular episode with a dumb problem, the clumsy writing wouldn't be too much of a problem, you could just watch it, ignore it and move on. But it wasn't meant to be a filler episode, it was meant to be "something else", and that's what made the episode much worse for me. The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

tl;dr

Dave Rapp a shit.
>>
Just watch the Saddle Row Review if you want to watch anything OP; best episode in the whole show.
>>
>>28278363
No, Flurry's barely involved. There have just been a lot of bad episodes.
>>
>>28278311
>>
thank you everyone for your opinions on it.
>>
A lot of people are talking about the lore and "what they should have done", but honestly there's so much discontent because the show has gotten to be lousy on a technical level.

Writing is bad. There are a lot of useless scenes that could be cut to make room for better material. Lots of modular scenes designed to be cut if the episode runs over, but there's very little going on in the episode so it feels like half or more of some episodes could be cut up and completely reorganized without hurting the plot. Occasionally they have issues with oversaturated backgrounds, which is technical issue because the ponies have colored outlines - it hasn't made the ponies hard to see, except the changeling in his episode because he was a dark character on saturated dark backgrounds, but it's still a poor choice visually. They've been reusing animation a lot, which may indicate budget problems or a loss of fast, skilled animators on the team.

There's a nearly infinite number of ways to approach the themes and make the characters work, but they're not doing it because they're falling short on the structural stuff all the time.
>>
>>28278311

nice blog
>>
>>28278311
Just do it and judge for yourself. If you don't enjoy it you can always stop. If you do enjoy it keep watching.
>>
File: mint horse reeeee.jpg (29KB, 358x416px) Image search: [Google]
mint horse reeeee.jpg
29KB, 358x416px
>>28278311
>spoonfeeding
I fucking hate you people.
>>
File: tLgaIhp.gif (2MB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
tLgaIhp.gif
2MB, 300x225px
>>28281359
Love you too, snookums
>>
File: 1462286524865.png (379KB, 1278x693px) Image search: [Google]
1462286524865.png
379KB, 1278x693px
>>28278830
>This truly feels like the first season where you can skip several episodes and miss basically nothing of value or much enterainment
It's sad to say but it really feels like that. This might be the season we might need to make an episode guide for episodes you can't miss, one's to warn you wont like if you hate cringe comedy like Newbie Dash, and episodes to avoid all together like Applejack's Day Off and 28 Pranks Later.
>>
File: bump rarara.gif (832KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
bump rarara.gif
832KB, 400x225px
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.