[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MLP RTS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 19

File: B12.jpg (2MB, 1366x2302px) Image search: [Google]
B12.jpg
2MB, 1366x2302px
We are making an RTS (Real Time Strategy game. Some examples of RTSs are Warcraft, Supreme Commander or Age of Empires).

This is a community project, so basically everyone can join in and work for the game! Post your ideas, suggestions or complaints. I will read them all. Currently there are 7 people (with known names) working for the game:

- Me (project leader, also the main programmer of the game)

- 3dAnon (3D artist. Also main texturer and animator)

- ShipIsLove (3D artist)

- Anon the Bruce (3D artist)

- Luziferino (texturer)

- Fapman (1st musician)

- Anoridan (2nd musician)

- There are many other people that contribute but they didn't tell me their names.

Hopefully the list will grow in the future!

Want to help? Just post your ideas/work in this thread! Want to make a track? A 3D model? Some GUI? Just tell me first and I'll give you instructions on what you should make!

Everyone can join this project, and it's also open source! (Of course, there is some quality control done for your work before it gets in the game).

I will post Download Links to both the game executable and the game's assets and project settings. Currently we're at build 12.

Previous thread (also the first one): >>27960384 (maybe it's still alive by the time you are reading this).

GAME Download Link:
http://download1185.mediafire.com/sfodx16iuvjg/70ovqq9jbkvm1i2/Ponays3Db12.zip

ASSETS Download Link:
http://download1692.mediafire.com/idb8mj5sigpg/3xaq6nv2456g63z/B12Assets.rar
>>
Can anyone confirm that I won't get le dank haxxed from this link
>>
>>28255136
Best case scenario ,you get a succ
>>
In regards to the last thread, it has been archived a little bit before the 500 replies bump limit. This was not a big issue since I already had Build 11 out, but the problem was that I wanted to finish Build 12 before making a new thread (which in the end I managed to do).

Build 11 was a pretty disappointing build with many glitches and overall lack of quality. So I wanted to make some fixes and add some new features and pack them all quickly into Build 12.
Because the old thread was archived I was unable to post the changelog/features added in Build 12, so I'll post them here:

Additions:
+ Pause Menu with working options (currently there are only the volume settings but I'll add many more in Build 13)
+ Actions in the bottom-left corner that allow you to kill the selected troops. The action system is a lot more than this, I spent my time making it as flexible as possible, so new actions are very easy to add. Also you can execute the same action to multiple types of troops/buildings (if they support that action).
+ New cursor system that removes all the lag experienced in Build 11

Fixes:
# Troops now have the selection circle back
# The troops that are covered by the GUI can no longer be selected
# Small camera fixes
# Finally fixed the movement glitch that made troops not go to the target they got assigned to by right-clicking (This glitch was in the game since Build 8, and I'm glad it's fixed. Now all troops will obey you).

>>28255136
I can assure you it's virus-free. You can check the entire source code in the assets archive. I will work on getting the GitHub project going.
>>
>>28255553
Also, here are some things to ignore:
- The camera glitches. I know there are lots of camera glitches and problmes, and they will be fixed gradually build by build
- The ground's texture and the white square each building has instead of their avatar (due to lack of assets. If an artist wants to draw them then it'd be really helpful)
- The trees models and textures (again, lack of proper tree models)
- The terrain's occlusion and overall weird look (it gets various improvements with each build)
- The entire GUI. I took the AoE 2 GUI because of the lack of assets.

Now, off to Build 13!
>>
>>28255102
Good to see this thread posted, Good to see you alive, Moonfire
>>
>>28255560
what's the size of the icons? in the meantime you can use placeholder icons from WoW or Age of Empires
>>
>>28255102
This is interface...
Wait, is that fucking Age of Empires?
>>
>>28256213
AoE2 to be exact, Moonfire is using it as a placeholder.

Glad to see the thread alive, I sent in the last bump for the previous thread but it died while I was asleep.
>>
I'd possibly be able to make a track or two for the game, what kind of style are you looking for?
>>
>>28256268
Pone and retro vibes
10/10
>>
>>28255102

>There are many other people that contribute but they didn't tell me their names.

Should that stay this way?

I mean, I did comment on the possible gameplay several times, but unless I am tasked with an actual something, I don't think I need a name.
>>
>>28255102
>Fapman (1st musician)

have fun never getting any music whatsoever.
>>
>>28255102
dont make video games, its not worth it, trust me
>>
So, what's missing from Earthborn's tech tree?
>>
>>28260608

If anything, there a few units that might be unnecessary.
>>
damn, the board is going fast now
>>
>>28255102
sall
This game is dope dude
>>
Stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qkf4HQ6zQc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTavyOzqtQQ
>>
>>28261168
Which units would you deem unnecesary?

I was thinking the whole siege part of earthborn is kinda bloated.
>>
>>28263662
I wonder if some of the discipline-specific units should be upgrades to baseline units instead of a different one (like pegasus auxiliary -> Lightning's finest).
>>
>>28263662

The Headbutter/Buster can be merged into one unit. It doesn't need complicated upgrades.

The rocket launcher feels unnecessary. Massed battle buckers can play the same role. Maybe it can serve as a base defense?

Similar problem with the repeater cannon, although it might just work as an alternative to bucker cannons.

>>28263827

Yes maybe. And Pony Juggernaut -> Buffalo Juggernaut.
>>
>>28264453
I don't see what's complicated about the Headbutter.

The base unit is a buffed up battering ram, then you either choose to put a behemot cannon or a triple smaller cannon instead.

I think the Rocket launcher serves as an effective AOE, doesn't do as much damage as a behemoth cannon but does it in a large area, while the repeater cannon is obviously anti infantry or hell it could be even anti air, and consdiering stormwing, earthborn could use all the anti air they need.

Also i'm not too keen on making them upgrades, because then they would be easily spamable, and besides turning a pony into a buffalo makes no sense.

It is better for them to be separate units with different stats, the pony juggernaut could be a cost effective heavy infantry while the buffalo version could be extremly strong in both attack and defense and hell, even add a charge attack or something.

Actually, one good comparison for those two would be the Nob and Mega nob in the dawn of war games. Both serve as heavy melee units but one is incredibly stronger and less spamable than the other.
>>
File: B13_1.png (503KB, 668x376px) Image search: [Google]
B13_1.png
503KB, 668x376px
I've resized some troops and buildings so they now have a more logical size; (the apples from the trees shouldn't be as big as a window)

>>28256499
You can check these out:
https://player.epidemicsound.com/#/search/tracks/?search_query=medieval
I thought of stuff like "Medieval Myths 3" and "Medieval Myths 5" for the Earthborn calm music, but now that I see all of their artificial, siege and generally technical advanced troops, a tavern-ish medieval track might not fit them. At least that's my opinion.
In the show the apple family is a traditionalist (and not technically advanced), therefore a more country-like tavern music is fit. But here we have rocket launchers and helicopters which do not create an atmosphere fit for any tavern/traditionalist music. It creates an atmosphere similar to the one created by the goblins from Warcraft. Unstable but advanced machinery.

So, if Fapman/Anoridan reads this, I'd like to know how the song's going. It sounded pretty nice and I wanted to see if you're still working on it. If you don't, well, that's alright, considering this possible change of plans in regards to the Earthborn's theme.
So I'd suggest to wait a bit until we all approve on the Earthborn's theme. This theme will also modify the appearances of the buildings too. If Ship is still around here reading the threads, then don't worry, the current buildings will not change in any way, maybe except for the Town Hall, which might not fit Earthborn too well.

>>28257932
Well, this has several advantages and disadvantages. I personally have no problem with this, as long as it doesn't affect the good assets and ideas that keep flowing, but it might create some small problems because we don't know how many people are actually working on the game.
>>
>>28264629
The bucker cannon is the standard artillery, in the middle of the more specialized units, the Behemot is meant to take down buildings, and the repeater is an anti-infantry piece. Is like the falconet, mortar and gatling gun in AoE III, respectively.
The Rocket launcher seems odd in the scheme, it may have a faster rate of fire than the bucker cannon, or put a status effect on the infantry units that hits (to reflect the demoralizing effect in its description).
>>
In the meanwhile, who here plays Age of Empires 2 HD?
I'm pretty much a 1800 ELO competitive autist, but I'm down for chill matches and training/practise games with other rookies.

>>28266999
Nice dub trips m8
>>
>>28267639
I don't have AoE2, but, i have a bunch of RTS which i would love to play with anyone really.

Heroes of anihilated empires
Spellforce 1&2
Dawn of war 1&2
Battlerealms
Armies of exigo
BFME2 ROTWK
Medieval 2 total war
Cataclysm
Starcraft broodwar
Ground Control 1 & 2
Sins of a solar empire

And that's it, if anyone wants to play any of that i'm free except for sunday afternoon

Also, i have no qualms if you decide to pirate it or buy it
>>
>>28267674
>Starcraft broodwar
I have played it for 11 years
It's dead tho, outside the asian scene, all US and European servers are quite dead.
>>
>>28267685
what about virtual lan? i have gameranger and tunggle, those would be really easy to set up
>>
>>28267699
I'd love to, but my old XP laptop over-heats with a few minutes of gameplay and everything starts to lag

I don't have Starcraft here on my PC, so I can't help you there.
>>
>>28267728
Well fuck

An effort was made
>>
>>28268567
>>
gnipumb
n
i
p
m
u
b
>>
File: Progress005.png (2MB, 512x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Progress005.png
2MB, 512x1536px
next texture pack is out! [resolution :2]
my focus is now on a new brick-muster and some icons+cursors, ground, wood and roof stuff.
G͈͈͈͈͈͈͈͈͈litchT̎̎̎̎̎̎̎̎̎esting
>>
>>28272673
Interesting I guess. Hopefully they'll fit.
>>
>>28267639

HD, as in, without the expansions?

I rank 1630-1660 playing African Kingdoms.
>>
page 10
>>
>>28272970
I rank 1830 ELO, with African Expansions
I'm pretty much a competitive autist, playing on fast speed, RLM maps.

So whacia say, m8?

[spoilers]Saracens, Celts and Indians are best civs
Yes, I'm a camelfucker.
>>
>>28275460
>tfw fucked up a spoiler
Welp, time to fuck off back to AoE2 I guess.
>>
>>28255102
I was a huge fan of the Warcraft RTS games, so my question is whether hero units will appear and whether they have a random name generator
>>
>>28275460

I think we've already met, then.

Do you happen to favor Luna over Celestia?
>>
and again
>>
>>28278253
We probably did
Yes, I'm that Lunafag you found when you checked my Steam profile, I pushed you shit as Celts when you were Byzantines

You suck, just like your waifu :v)
I think I have you added on my Steam F-list
>>
>>28280410

Yeah, yeah... I was sure that this project would interest you too.

Anyway, I already had my beating today, but we could play another time.
>>
>>28280637
Does your name starts with K?
>>
>>28280658

And ends with an S.
>>
>>28281389
Yeah I have you
You had been inactive for a long time
>>
File: Oldest_Anon.png (127KB, 345x337px) Image search: [Google]
Oldest_Anon.png
127KB, 345x337px
>>28282947
>Long time inactive on steam
>Life-fag
And you want to be HIS friend?
>>
>>28283352
I dont really care tho.
>>
File: ToyStory1261.jpg (455KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
ToyStory1261.jpg
455KB, 1000x563px
>>28283820
YOU. ARE. A normie
>>
>>28283888
I'm far from being a normie tho.
I have almost 1700 hours on TF2
And 1900 hours on AoE2

I love Toy Story tho
>>
File: Son.jpg (24KB, 406x500px) Image search: [Google]
Son.jpg
24KB, 406x500px
>>28284014
>AoE2
>Toy Story

Oh, sorry anon. I think there was a misunde....
>Tf2
You almost had my honor.

But the AoE2 beats that
8/10 - would honor again

But I say, you should have some friends from your own kind. I really hope that your precious Anon. Was offline from steam for a good reason.
>>
boop
>>
>>28284207
I have my own AoE2 friends, I hang out with them every night, playing competitive 3vs3's or 4vs4's, I have my fun.

It's a shame almost all 4chan players I have added are scrubs or very casual, and they are bad not because they are bad players, but more like they are not really intrested in the game.

It's kind of saddening
>>
>>28284993
What is more saddening is that.
There are no new TRUE rts-es were made. I was happy when I saw this thread.
I would play with you but I dont have the game... You can still add me on steam if u want. I think I will buy that. And Im always online on steam :^]
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198061191109/
>>
>>28285167
Sent.
And to be honest, although I kind of missed the golden era of PC gaming (born in 1995), I can say RTS are not truly 'dead', but it's prime time has passed.
Big companies that made RTS games, such as West Wood and Ensemble studios are kill, Blizzard barely holding the interest for Starcraft 2, and although it's still a pretty nice game, only Asians are intrested in SC2, if I'm correct. Same applies to SC Brood War.

RTS games have never been 'popular', they were always the 'underdog' kind of games, but there were pretty good games out there on the 90's.
The only decent RTS and Strategy games I can think of are Starcraft 2, Civ 5, Europa Universalis, Total War, and the up coming Cossacks 3

To put in an analogy, RTS games are like that grizzly, old, lonely war veteran that almost everybody have forgotten.
FPS and Sport games will forever hold the popularity in the gaming industry.
>>
>Be me playing a 4vs4 match
>Scout rush for my ally flank
>Do a good job
>2 minutes after
>Be swarmed by 30 knights from 3 different players
>My spearmen get overwhelmed
>Nobody bothers to help me
>gg

Although I hate resigning early, I must admit being the top score player, I got stomped that hard, and nobody bothered to help a fellow teammate out, was enough reason to resign.

Also: bump.
>>
>>28286185
kek, bumpmind.
>>
nigga there best be a changeling faction in this at some point
>>
>>28282947

Hm? I play the game pretty regularly, every 3-4 days. Do I have to log in to my Steam profile to be shown active or something?

>>28285167

Well, would you look at that. Tényleg kicsi a világ!
>>
>>28286593
I dont know, it said you were offline for a quite long time, almost a week
My Steam fucked up, I dont know
>>
>>28286593
Not really, but if thats that long.
>>28286702
>One week
Thats not that long... I have "friends" who were offline for like 500 + days. I would delete them if they were not IRL "friends".
Sorry for botherin'.
>>
>>28285222

I would disagree with the notion that RTS games were never popular. They were a big thing from the late 90s to the mid 00s. The genre has only started to decline in the wake of the overall casualisation of gaming (and the internet), starting around 2007.
>>
>>28287518
>casualisation of gaming (and the internet)
Explain that statement, what cause the 'casualisation of gaming'?
>>
File: af2.jpg (61KB, 728x701px) Image search: [Google]
af2.jpg
61KB, 728x701px
>>28287518
Games were always casual as a whole though, there was never a "casualization"
Even if you're talking about 90s and 00s RTSes, any 12-year old could pick up AoE, C&C or any of the other popular games and just play it
>>
>>28289032
>>28289477

What I mean is, gaming has become heavily commercialized in these years. It has stopped being a nerd thing, and became a normie thing.
But newcomers found the usual genres too difficult, and wanted something more simple. Things like RTSs and RPSs went extinct, replaced by MOBAs, mobile games etc.
>>
boop
>>
Aztec monks stronk
>>
Any of the developers, post something, or this will become /aoe2/.

(not that I mind it)
>>
>>28295178
Yeah you're right, I will stop talking about AoE2
>>
File: B13_3.png (796KB, 840x473px) Image search: [Google]
B13_3.png
796KB, 840x473px
>>28295178
>>28295209
AoE2 discussions are a lot better than simple "bump" messages. Maybe someone comes up with a new idea while discussing.

Anyway, I almost finished the troop training action (see pic-related). I spent a lot of time making this system as flexible as possible, so now whenever I'll have to add a new action (troop-training, research or ability) it takes me around 10 minutes instead of 5 or 6 hours (with the action system's first implementation), which is a great improvement.

If there are still some 2D artists here, I'd need some button sprites and avatars for the actions (I'll post them if someone is willing to draw).

If there is any of the 3D artists reading this now, I need some tree models + textures. The current ones are placeholders (and they look terrible) so we'll need some proper models. Thanks! Also, 3dAnon, you said you were working on the bucking animation. If you are still busy with other things then please tell me when you are free, so I can update the list with the objects that I need at that moment. I hope Ship will come back soon.

I finally listened to the SFX from the drive folder and they are great, but the problem is that it keeps the original game's idea of 8bit sounds. Very nice sounds for an 8bit game, but not for this one. If the guy that made those sounds is still here I'd like some new SFX that fits this game. I'll tell you exactly what I need at this moment.
>>
>>28295862
Those messages that tell you what an action does appear only when you hover above that action's button. Also ignore the human sprite.

For Build 13 I think I'll add some queues and a loading bar to the troop training, and possibly a research at the apple warehouse that allows the troops to gather food faster (this research is temporary).
>>
>>28295862
>>28295878

Sounds good. When do you think build 13 is going to be finished?
>>
File: B13_4.png (62KB, 500x628px) Image search: [Google]
B13_4.png
62KB, 500x628px
>>28296363
As long as nothing supernatural happens, this should be fast (a few days). Now I started cleaning up the whole project so it'll be ready for the next development stage. This has to be the biggest optimization asset-wide that this game has ever had. It basically automates everything, so whenever I want to add a new troop/building I'll only have to name it, add a collider and the actions that it can do and it's good to go. Currently I have to set up over 20 items whenever I want to add a new troop/building, the majority of them being easily automatized. This is not good in the long run. Therefore, I will spend some time on optimizing and cleaning up everything. I might provide some screenshots too, just for the sake of it. Pic-related represents the things that have to be set up when adding a new troop/building. Pretty messy.
>>
File: 4_RefugeeTrail_Cholera.jpg (46KB, 701x457px) Image search: [Google]
4_RefugeeTrail_Cholera.jpg
46KB, 701x457px
>>28289891
>It has stopped being a nerd thing, and became a normie thing.

That happened ages ago. I can tell for a fact you've not grown up in the era of copying game code on paper because storage mediums were far too expensive to waste on silly shit like games.

Shit, Oregon Trail is a 1971 game and it was practically everywhere at that point.
Arcades, home consoles,... Those came about from the commercialization and propagation of what used to be a nerd hobby.
>>
File: Age-of-Empires-Online-PC.jpg (199KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Age-of-Empires-Online-PC.jpg
199KB, 1280x720px
>>28295862
How are you going to handle camera angles?

Because if you decide to keep a largely isometric perspective like 3D AoE games, you could possibly try and implement one of the neat things from the new Dawn of War 3 where the announcer voice tells you which way the fight's happening ("Our army has clashed swords with the enemy southward of here").
>>
>>28296757
>As long as nothing supernatural happens, this should be (fast)
Nice Spy TF2 reference
>>
>>28255102
Will you add Nyx?
>>
>>28296757

Cool. I don't know programming, but I am kinda interested in how games are made.
>>
>>28297416
>camera angles
Well, you can rotate the camera by holding the mouse wheel button. There's also a minimap there but I'm currently not sure how it should behave.

>>28297500
Maybe as an easter egg in the credits or menu. But we should not focus on the easter eggs now.

>>28298225
Well, good for you then. You can witness the full development of an entire game in real time. Maybe you'll learn how to code by the time we finish this. Until then, if you have any ideas don't be afraid to say! You can be part of the development by testing the game too.

The optimization process is going pretty well. Got rid of an entire 200+ lines script and some other 50 lines and 10 variables/objects from all the scripts combined. And I'm not done yet.
>>
File: 8zTW6qk.jpg (434KB, 1280x1556px) Image search: [Google]
8zTW6qk.jpg
434KB, 1280x1556px
>>28255102
why is there a mister skeltal in the menu?
>>
>>28299825
that's the "kill unit" button from age of empires II
>>
Wasn't this whole games based off some online fanfiction about 5 races in ancient equestrian times? I remember that being posted way back in the day.
Does any one know or have the link for that/
>>
>>28301268
Is an AU setting that takes places somewhere after season 2. There is six factions.
Here is the deviantart group with each faction roster: http://equestria-divided.deviantart.com/
And the Fimfiction group: https://www.fimfiction.net/group/197422/equestria-divided
>>
>>28301306
SIX!? holy shit man, how the hell do you plan on balancing that?
>>
>>28301318
I dunno, I'm just keeping tabs on this project, and is making one faction at a time.
>>
File: 504441cecbadabd93d691b5232454ada.jpg (827KB, 1046x1200px) Image search: [Google]
504441cecbadabd93d691b5232454ada.jpg
827KB, 1046x1200px
>>28301426
Three always seems to be the magic number for RTS, maybe even two if the game play is intense enough. I always thought it would be better to do an RTS set in the WAY FUCK OFF PAST. Back when only Luna, Celestia and Discord were around. This could lend itself to a more triple gameplay and it might even fit in well with the ACTUAL story line where the sisters fight and defeat discord and later have them two turn on each other. By having the sisters and Discord control their own units with unique mechanics, and style you could make a very well balanced game.

Celestia van be the steamroller by creating expensive and powerful units.

Luna could be more focus on stealth and positioning having units that are better for skirmishing than all out fights.

And Discord could just al out spam units that can reign hell and work best when they are positioned before fights to allow their greater numbers to mean anything...

Or maybe I'm just rambling. Either or, good luck to your stuff.
>>
>>28301318
Honestly, i don't see how it would be hard, i mean, why would it be so hard to balance 6 factions with aprox 15-20 units.
>>
File: 1371137457377.png (394KB, 887x900px) Image search: [Google]
1371137457377.png
394KB, 887x900px
>>28301493
I look at Starcraft, considered one of the most balanced RTS's and they still release patches to try and balance the game while still allowing a ton of possible strategies and tactics. These devs with Blizzards resources have to constantly increment and remove values to try and make the game reach a 33% win rate for all three factions and they still have trouble with it. It might mean nothing from an Anon, but I have my doubts that six factions can be balanced by a group of Anons from a Mongolian basket weaving forum.
>>
>>28301493
Balancing is incredibly time-consuming. If you plan on making all factions mechanically identical, then all you have to worry about is unit capabilities and making sure one isn't OP, but having six factions be the exact same except in skin is boring.

If you want to make each feel unique, you have to play with the numbers even more, and in some cases, give qualitative, not quantitative, benefits to groups, and balancing that out is like comparing apples to oranges
>>
>>28301522
It's not like we aim to be a esport, and besides, blizzard kind of balance is just "no fun allowed" incarnate.

Just look at the terran reaper, that thing used to have a cool job as a raider antibuilding and anti infantry unit and got nerfed into uselessness.

Balancing an rts is a question of numbers, and what kind of balance we want. It's realistic to aim for a balance that makes all the races fun but not necesarily perfect for MP
>>
>>28301522
Starcraft was balanced because the 3 races were not equal, but somehow all 3 of them balancing eachother out.
Just think about it:

If you see it from an early game perspective, Zergs are fucking OP, Terrans barely catching up, and last the Protoss because their horrible build/training times and expensive costs.
Only a Terran can hold a Zerg rush if he's correctly walled off, and maybe a protoss with a help of a Gate, a Zealot and a shield battery. But still, Zerg are really fucking strong in the early game.

If you see it from a middle game perspective, although all 3 races fare well, Terrans are the best at this stage: Marines and Medics, Siege Tanks and Goliaths, Bunkers and Missile turrets; plus Terrans being the best defensive race, if you don't fuck up a Terran during the early game, he will push your shit in with a M&M rush w/ stim, or a slowly Siege Tanks/Turret/Flying engineering bay push. They become borderline OP.

If you see it from a late game perspective, the Protoss mainly win, tho the Terrans still has massive mech armies, Battlecruisers and nukes; and Zergs having Devourers, Guardians, Ultralisks, massive zerglings with defilers Dark Swarms, Protoss can still pretty much kick everybody's asses on the late game, given a nice eco and properly teched army. Again, borderline OP.

What I like about SC is that, although each race is not perfectly 'balanced' on a global perspective, each one weakness and strenghts makes everything even and does a nice game.

I'm an 11 years veteran SC Brood War player, and I'm pretty much know about this stuff.
And don't get me started about Age of Empires 2 balancing.
>>
>>28301488
>>28301836
What about Warcraft 3 and Age of Mythology+Titans? I don't know how competitive they were but both had 4 unique factions to play.
>>
Also, we should consider how the balance will be affected if we add "hero characters" but i honestly would prefer a system similar to AoM gods where they grant global passive bonuses to the whole faction instead of being a physical unit in battle
>>
File: 1362975849086.jpg (246KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1362975849086.jpg
246KB, 1920x1200px
>>28301908
I can't tell you much about the AoM or AoE series since I've never played them. Most of my RTSs/RTTs are more on the modern era like SC, C&C generals, Wargame and Rise of Nations. I played warcraft 3 but it was only the campaign, too poor for an internet connection back then.

Warcraft 3 had four factions for multiplayer and, from what I've read and heard, it was very cometitive, but since this is before the existenence of streaming services you had to LITTERALLY know that something was going down for you to be able to catch it.
>>
>>28301908
I played both of them but I never really got into them
So I can't say much
>>
.bmp
>>
>>28295862
-buttons
i'm working on the windowskin and buttons since many days but I will that it be PERFECT so yeah like always- it need time.
-TreeTexture
ok I see what i can do.
-SFX
yeah they are a little to 8bit style, I see what i can do. bdw, the externalequalizer is something what I invented- start and loop it when game starts with ~81% volume (the volume on the sound must be set down through a programm, not the file itself). that makes some awesome effects on all what happen and let the music + sounds feel real. and it don't really slow something down, it has only a samplerate about 1000Hz.
>>
>>28301488
>Three always seems to be the magic number for RTS, maybe even two if the game play is intense enough.

Not really, it was simply a popular number for the showelware since three factions were just about enough to fit into the budget and also easy to design around.

The big names always tried pushing the number as high as it could go. Wrcraft was supposed to have 5 factions, for instance, but they couldn't get Naga finished on time for an expansion release with Frozen Throne so they never made them playable/finished.

Tiberian Sun was supposed to have Forotten for the third faction and Westwood was hard at work to make Scrin the 4th.
Generals got around the timer/budget constraints through the subfactions, making for 9 factions, Kanes Wrath had the same.
Dawn of War from Relic pushed it as far as it could go, getting the number higher with each successive expansion.
Company of Heroes had 4, Company of Heroes 2 has 5.
Supreme Commander has 4.
>>
File: B13_5.png (15KB, 256x327px) Image search: [Google]
B13_5.png
15KB, 256x327px
>>28296757
Here we go, both of those scripts combined into a single one, which is also extremely simplified.
All this cleaning broke every system in the game, but happily I was able to solve all the problems in a few hours. I also managed to fix several bugs regarding the pathfinding system, and add some various optimizations by reducing the amount of raycasts per troop by 3 times. The selection and movement system is also improved.

I will tidy up every script left, add the queuing in troop training and the Build should be out. This build contains lots of under-the-hood improvements that should speed up the development process of future builds noticeably.
>>
Look what I've found:

http://empiresapart.net/

A somewhat similar game is being made. Perhaps we can learn a few things from them.
>>
>>28305458
Man, that art design is so stylized, i love it.

Kinda sad that it seems like it wants to just be AoE2 but whatever, it's their right to make the game they want.
>>
boop
>>
>>28306560
>>
>>28305718

We'll see how it turns out.
>>
>>28305458
Pretty nice. Their key is the nice artstyle and polished look, and happily we can have that too once we gather some good 2D artists. The game is ~2 months old and we already have some very talented 3D artists. The gameplay is the part that matters, the art will come later.

>>28305718
>>28311278
I never said that I want this game to just be AoE2. It's just placeholder art!
>>
boop
>>
>>28276402
We won't have hero units. They shift the game focus too much.
>>
>>28311880
I didn't ment your work looked like aoe2, i was refering the linked game, empires apart, which is trying to capture the same exact aesthetic as AOE2
>>
Bump... and in the meanwhile:

In RTS videogames, casual games are boring.
But competitive games takes away the fun from the game.

The only fun games are 'competitive casual' games, or lower ranked competitive games; or playing a casual game with people that actually knows how to play the game.
>>
>>28316436
What about cooperative?
>>
>>28316984
Depends on what you meant, if you say Team games, (which I play quite often on AoE2) is not really that different than 1vs1.

If you mean 'Team melee' (such as Starcraft) or '2 humans 1 player' mode, then yes, it's really fucking fun, sometimes messy and chaotic.
>>
>>28316984
For all the fuckups from SC2, the coop commander mode was amazingly fun, they made good use of all those models and assets from the campaign.
>>
>>28255102
>>28255102
>We are making an RTS

Sorry to mess with your game, OP, but it already exists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TERel5Obie4
>>
>>28318363
And?
>>
>>28318363
>Anon thinks only 1 pony RTS can exist
>>
>>28318363

It's a reskin mod.
>>
Micromanagement or Macromanagement?
Early game or Late game?
Rushing or Booming?
Aggression or Defensive game style?
>>
>>28320141
>Micromanagement or Macromanagement?
Not sure how to answer that since some units have abilities. The other questions depend of each faction's playstyle.
>>
>>28320141
Macromanagement
Lategame
Booming
Defensive

I want to experience all the units an RTS usually has to offer
>>
>>28321942
the kitchen sink
>>
>>28322881
kek
>>
>>28316436

Yes, this is pretty much what made the RTS genre successful.
>>
File: 1449322850822.png (183KB, 906x844px) Image search: [Google]
1449322850822.png
183KB, 906x844px
hype
>>
>BUMP
>U
>M
>P
>>
>>28327858
>>
>>28255102
Here's a bug you might want to addrerss. Sorry for 480p. https://youtu.be/G4Pg-s5oiUw
>>
>>28329805
Thank you! It should be fixed in Build 13.
>>
>>28334288
checked
>>
In the past 36 hours there have been two legitimate posts, one checking dubs, and eleven bumps.

Why not just let this thread die? OP can post a new one when Build 13 is ready.
Thread posts: 130
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.