[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/mlp/'s Snap Judgment Rating Of Season 6: Season To Date

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 23

I'm not gonna go through with a big preamble here, I'm just gonna post what I have so far in order and if anyone wants me to explain anything or do anything specific I can see what I can do. I'll talk about stuff after I'm done posting what I have.

If you don't know what this is, ask, I'm sure someone knows what I'm doing at this point.

First off, we're gonna start at the beginning and work our way up to the now.

There were 260 votes on the first poll, which covered Season 6: Episodes 1 & 2. They were taken together as they were a two-parter. The split between high ratings and low ratings was 66.2% to 33.8%, meaning 66.2% of the respondents rated the episodes at a six or higher while only 33.8% of the respondents rated them at five or lower.

Forgive me for being slow at posting these, I'm just going through and recapping all the graphs as I go so I make sure I have good copies of everything.
>>
On the second poll there were 287 votes which covered Season 6: Episode 3. The split between high ratings and low ratings was 80.8% to 19.2%
>>
Go on
>>
On the fourth poll there were 191 votes which covered Season 6: Episode 4. The split between high ratings and low ratings was 80.6% to 19.4%
>>
>>28102816
That should say third poll, I'm good at typing.

>>28102816
On the actual fourth poll there were 321 votes which covered Season 6: Episode 5. The split between high ratings and low ratings was 90.7% to 9.3%
>>
>>28102834
Can you remind is of the episode names when you put the graphs up?
>>
On the fifth poll there were 484 votes which covered Season 6: Episode 6. The split between high ratings and low ratings was 90.5% to 9.5%
>>
>>28102840
Sure, but it's a little bit more typing for me. So far we have had...

>>28102786 The Crystalling - Part 1 & 2
>>28102798 The Gift of the Maud Pie
>>28102816 On Your Marks
>>28102834 Gauntlet of Fire
>>28102845 No Second Prances

And on the sixth poll there were 268 votes which covered Season 6: Episode 7 AKA "Newbie Dash". The split between high ratings and low ratings was 61.6% to 38.4%
>>
These threads are always so interesting.
>>
LABEL YOUR FUCKING AXES
>>
uh oh
>>
On the seventh poll there were 376 votes which covered Season 6: Episode 8 AKA "A Hearth's Warming Tail". The split between high ratings and low ratings was 72.3% to 27.7%
>>
>>28102900
I refuse to beleive anyone is so stupid as to not be able to figure them out via the context provided. Despite all the evidence that says I shouldn't, I do have some faith in humanity. Therefore it's redundant for me to do so.

On the eighth poll there were 208 votes which covered Season 6: Episode 9 AKA "The Saddle Row Review". The split between high and low ratings was 78.8% to 21.2%
>>
On the ninth poll there were 304 votes which covered Season 6: Episode 10 AKA "Applejack's 'Day' Off". The split between high and low ratings was 57.2% to 42.8%
>>
>>28102943
>not labeling your axes
Go back to school, retard.
>>
On the tenth pill there were 281 votes which covered Season 6: Episode 11 AKA "Flutter Brutter". The split between high and low ratings was 66.5% to 33.5%
>>
>>28102917
What the fuck. That split is insane. It was such a good episode with great songs. That must be all the people who hate musical episodes.
>>
>>28102979
You're right, I really should go back one of these days I need to go and get my bachelors. Probably next year, I hate my job.

On the eleventh poll there were 130 votes which covered Season 6: Episode 12 AKA "Spice Up Your Life". The Split between high and low ratings was 83.8% to 16.2%
>>
Whats the overall score for S6 so far?
>>
>>28102988
poll =/= pill

>>28103015
It could have been data manipulation too, but I ultimately decided that it was probably just due to the songs and the fact that it was a Christmas episode in fucking May.

On the twelfth poll there were 184 votes which covered Season 6: Episode 13 AKA "Stranger Than Fan Fiction". The split between high and low ratings was 91.8% to 8.2%
>>
>>28103015
>>28103072
There were people admitting to manipulating it in the thread (the "4" votes in particular), though of course they could've been false-flagging or just lying.
>>
>>28103053
I'll get to that in a bit. I another chart for that, but I haven't updated it in a while and it's a fuckton more complicated to mess with that than any of the other ones just becuase there are so many numbers involved.

It can demonstrate things better than me just spitting a number at you without context.

On the thirteenth poll there were 150 votes which covered Season 6: Episode 14 AKA "The Cart Before the Ponies". The split between the high and low ratings was 52.7% to 47.3%

Now that I have those done, I'm gonna go take a shower and then work up the other few things I want to show off. In the meantime feel free to discuss things and ask me anything. I'll see what I can deliver on now and what I want to hold off on when I get back.
>>
>all these 7's

I agree. Pretty average season with the typical gems in between
>>
Alright, sorry this took so long, I noticed a discrepancy in my numbers and it took a long time to figure out what was going on with that.

I never actually figured out how I fucked up, but I fixed it so everything works now. I figure out what actually went wrong later on down the line.

But that's not important, this is. This is a chart that uses the data from every episode in season six so far that displays the results as if the season was one big episode instead.

As you can see, it says the average rating so far is 6.80. While that's true, I often find that saying things like that doesn't do it justice, so if you see the graphic you can actually see the breakdown and understand where the numbers come from to make that result.

More to follow, much simpler stuff that I don't think I'm stupid enough to fuck up, so it shouldn't take nearly as long to update as this did. Speaking of which, if any of you saved the previous version of this particular graph then I would suggest deleting it becuase I fucked up the calculations some how. This one SHOULD be correct though.
>>
ANND I crashed Excel again!

Protip, don't try to control+a when trying to edit the series values in a chart in Microsoft Excel 2010, this kills the Excel.

Also, any lurkers here? Just kind of curious if anyone still cares.
>>
>>28104143
Yeah, I'm still lurking. I always like these charts, and I refer to them pretty regularly, like when someone tries to say that everything after S2 sucks, or when I want to rewatch a good episode.
>>
>>28104143
This stuff is great. Thanks for giving the graphs as well. The mode here seems to be more telling than the mean, as there's always people rating low for it being after season 2.
>>
File: Response Rate.jpg (135KB, 1258x915px) Image search: [Google]
Response Rate.jpg
135KB, 1258x915px
>>28104210
Well, it's appreciated I guess. Anywho, here's a couple throw away things that I'll make pretty later on. What they show should be self evident, but I can explain them if anyone wants me to.

Past that, do you guys have any questions, comments, concerns? Anything you want to discuss? Or is thread just gonna be kill now that I don't have any more fancy mathematics to post?
>>
File: Average Ratings.jpg (154KB, 1259x914px) Image search: [Google]
Average Ratings.jpg
154KB, 1259x914px
>>28104439
Here's the other thing

I would have given you the same response as well, but I hadn't updated the thread, cheers man.
>>
>>28104210
>>28104380
>Falling for the post-S2 shit meme
People have literally stated that they're doing it for (you)s. Besides, the only things these graphs state is the popular opinion of an episode, nothing else.
>>
>>28104439
>>28104451
Why line graphs and not bar graphs here?
Also how did you calculate response rate?
>>
>>28104143
Me
>>
>>28104439
How well does this correlate to polling errors, like getting posted late or having multiple/unorthodox polls?

>>28104451
I was going to say "Jesus, that drop from 13 to 14" until I remembered it's only a difference of like three points out of ten.

>>28104486
I'm talking more about private conversations with friends or /co/mrades who fell off the ride during S3. People who have no stake in the (You) market.
>>
>>28104499
These are lines becuase these are just numbers, the response rate is just the number of respondents for each poll. The average rating is just the average rating. If you look at the other graphs you'll see that the numbers match up perfectly.
>>
File: Average Ratings Absolute Scaling.jpg (180KB, 1257x915px) Image search: [Google]
Average Ratings Absolute Scaling.jpg
180KB, 1257x915px
>>28104532
That's quite difficult to quantify, but generally speaking my polls tend to be a bit better and I would think that's because recognize them and that they get out at the same time.

There are also a couple of polls where the results were gathered after 06:00pm, but I don't bother even nothing that because the amount of extra respondents you get past that point is generally insignificant. Like you might get ten extra responses in a week after that point. The six hour cutoff is more a value judgment placed on my time than anything else if I'm being completley honest with myself.

>>28104532
Yep! Scaling is important, if I did an absolute scale instead of a relative scale then it would look more like this...
>>
>>28104644
Oh, and I forgot to mention, part of the difficulty with posting the polls is that you want to get it out as soon as possible, but not before that.

Fun fact, if you make a poll on strawpoll, it will get votes. It doesn't matter if you post it anywhere, there are people who just type out random strawpoll links in their address bar and vote on random shit. If I make the poll before the episode ends then I increase the chance that random people will vote on it for shits and giggles.

That's the other reason why there's a time limit, to reduce the effect of random people finding the poll and fucking with it.

So I usually just make the strawpoll before the episode airs, but I don't actually click create until the second I'm ready to post it.
>>
File: Applejack is an angry drunk.png (421KB, 1440x1797px) Image search: [Google]
Applejack is an angry drunk.png
421KB, 1440x1797px
It seems odd to me that Applejack's Day Off

>>28102973

Scored higher than "Cart Before the Ponies" or anything else this season. They're both dull episodes; but Applejack's day off spent three minutes having us watch Apple Horse follow a pipe.

That said, Rara, Top Cunt and Appuls were all pretty bitchy in the most recent episode and this fanbase does have a tendency to freak out when their favorite pony acts like a jerk, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised.
>>
>>28104701
As you get to the lower end of the scale, the ratings are close because many people use 5 as a rating of terrible, and never rate below it.
>>
File: lairds.jpg (21KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
lairds.jpg
21KB, 500x500px
>>28104701
>Not drinking Laird's Applejack

Disappointed.

Greetings from /k/.
>>
File: Applejack shotgun.jpg (428KB, 1000x782px) Image search: [Google]
Applejack shotgun.jpg
428KB, 1000x782px
>>28104748

Does seem like a missed opportunity.
>>
>>28104701
I can't say, I haven't seen it. I actually need to go and watch everything from that to Spice Up Your Life, I went on that trip and then I couldn't motivate myself to get up early watch them for a while.

Pone kart was super boring though, I feel like it deserved the rating it got.

>>28104742
Those people are silly, five is meh at the best. Pone kart got a 4 from me, because it wasn't really bad but I just didn't feel it had much redeeming value. I might change my opinion on that after watching it again though.
>>
>>28104742
>the ratings are close because many people use 5 as a rating of terrible
Man, I fucking hate this. I wonder if it's an extension of the American education system placing 70% as the 'good enough' standard and 50% as the 'fuck, you're retarded' tier.
>>
>>28104766
That's actually one of the few relatively tasteful mlp funs I've seen. The genuine Third Reich K98 painted blue with a Rainbow Dash decal always gets a rise out of me and the rest of /k/
>>
File: Rainbow Dash Mauser.jpg (471KB, 1141x427px) Image search: [Google]
Rainbow Dash Mauser.jpg
471KB, 1141x427px
>>28104786

Its actually just a Mitchell Mauser repro.
>>
>>28104800
Huh. I'd always heard that it was the genuine article. If so, then nothing of value was lost.
>>
>>28104809
There was one that somebody shooped, but that one looks like it's real. I would say that in this case it might be life imitating art.
>>
>>28104819
Definitely. It would be hilarious if it ended up being used for home defense or was used in a crime like the Costanza grips 1911.
>>
>>28104800
Never mind the decals, that's a very nice color.
>>
>>28102786
I love how 1/10 almost always has more votes than 2/10 because of all the kneejerk "1/10 WORST ESIPODE EVER!!!" reactions.
>>
It's interesting to note that there are almost always two peaks in an episode rating graph. I wonder if it represents two groups of people.
>>
>>28105241
It's an interesting observation, but remember that a peak is caused by a middle high and then 2 lower data points below it. So there isn't really much special about a peak in a line graph like these. It just means the data worked out to make a cool mountain picture.
>>
File: ss+(2016-08-08+at+02.56.09).png (362KB, 393x594px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-08-08+at+02.56.09).png
362KB, 393x594px
>>28104778
I imagine it's because the people watching MLP will, on some level (and despite their loudest objections) do so because they like MLP. They're rating on a broader enjoyment scale, not just relative to MLP.

Building off of that, I suspect they save the VERY low ratings for the episodes that offend them on a basic level. The stuff that actually detracts from the show, rather than being a "meh" sort of 22-minute gap.
>>
>>28105186
I feel like in a lot of cases they generally just dislike the episode. Almost everyone has a few episodes that they just hate for very specific reasons that only make sense to them.

>>28105747
Pretty much this, most people wouldn't be watching if they genuinely hated the show.
>>
>>28104742
>>28104778
I use to rate like that a while back, until it was explained to me that rating media isn't the same as education grades and that 5 was supposed to represent "average". Made more sense that there'd be a balance range between "good" and "bad", but I do think there are a lot of others who still use the "7 is passing" mindset.

Off-topic, but I also noticed this behavior in the gaming community when a popular game doesn't get a 9 or 10 on a rating scale. I feel like it's a pretty common thing to misconstrue media rating with grades in school probably because it's something people are familiar with.
>>
>>28106213
>>
File: NO.jpg (7KB, 299x199px) Image search: [Google]
NO.jpg
7KB, 299x199px
>>
Thank you brave anon for tracking all of this. It has interesting implications, the board seems to think that there are a few amazing episodes, several average ones, and a few that were rates pretty low.

AKA, S6 is OK
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.