[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The applejack dilemma and equestria girls

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

Equestria girls seems to have the same dilemma as applejack does in Friendship is magic.

Specifically, AJ in Friendship is magic has no goals, no ambitions, nothing to work towards in life in the pony world, which drastically cuts down on the episode ideas and ways to develop her or have her work towards things, compared to ponies with goals, like RD, twilight and rarity.

Now lets move on to Equestria girls: it has the EXACT same problem for everyone not named sunset shimmer and Twilight; The other 5 are just "There". They have no goals, nothing to work towards, not plots. There's nothing to do with them.

Twilight and sunset have equestrian magic as their centric plots and character arcs about learning to control or deal with it, and the issue of adjusting to being a human after coming from equestria.

But the other 5? They're just support, there's no plots for them: This is why they're always going to be shitty: they're in the same spot as Applejack. There's no Wonderbolts in this world, Rarity has no Fashion boutiques, there's no discord for Fluttershy to reform: NOTHING.

Pretty much the other 5 will always be worthless because there's no point to this world apart from twilight and Sunset's plots.
>>
Its almost like EqG exists explicitly to compete with MH and not much thought was put into it.
>>
Yeah, that's just one of the reasons EG is shit
>>
>EQG is shit that only exists to compete with MH
Took you long enough to realize it
>>
>>28099277
b-but they're giving them cool superpowers in the 4th movie xddd
>>
>>28099277
>Every character must have clear, hard to work for goals in order to be considered fun

For the record, I love pony AJ as a character. Her episodes are just usually shit though.
>>
I hate to realize you're right but you're right.
>>
>>28099314
>>28099319
Yeah but they still took time to figure out and create plots and goals for them to fiddle with for Twilight and Sunset, so its not like they haven't realized this problem.

Twilight could have just been a random cutout of pony twilight, but they decided to give her flaw/mental goal of having an evil side that lives in her head as well as a fear of magic in order to have SOMETHING to fiddle with for twilight now and then.
Same with Sunset, she was a blank slate in the first movie and they decided to start slapping on various insecurities and issues that she wants to overcome despite her being 100% self assured in the first movie.

Its not that they aren't aware of the problem since they seem to be doing it with Twilight at least.

>>28099411
She's a good character, but the "shit episodes" problem is partially due to this issue that I'm talking about her: they have alot less to work with for AJ so her Plots tend to default to "Mah family" because there's not that much for them to design her plots around. (Compare how they have daring do, the wonderbolts for RD as additional plot ideas)
>>
>>28099670
They're doing it with Twilight because she is the main character and Twilight toys sell really well.
>>
>>28099703
NOT OF EQUESTRIA GIRLS, REEEEEEEEE
>>
>>28099713
Shimmer sells okay too I guess. But all the little girls just want more Twilight.
>>
>>28099670
To be fair one of the reasons behind the other girls having so little character development is due to time and focus constraints.
You have a movie that runs for barely over an hour and is made to selling toys for little/teenage girls, so for the creatores to make subplots about the others characters when the marketing focus is obviously on the leading figures (Twi and Shim) would mean reducing the screen time of these two and possibly making a huge convoluted mess that no one would be able to properly follow.
Granted, they could make scenes where they portray a sort of advancement of a seen but unspoken character arc but I guess that is to much for a toy commercial movie.
Besides, the character's stories are properly worked on in the show, if anything they would make a carbon copy of it all but with slight variations to accommodate to the human world.
And before anyone says anything retarded, this is not me defending EQG, just my thoughts as to why they don't do what OP mentioned.
>>
>>28099873
The easy reply to that is you're proving that Equestria Girls has no creative value as a franchise because they use the excuse of "we don't have time" to gloss over character development.
>>
>>28099356
>xddd
I think it's just the same anon doing this gay shit and I don't even think he knows what it means
>>
>>28099356
Pretty sure the other 5 are only getting super powers in the movie in order to establish that Twilight and sunset "Also" have powers, and sunset and Twilight won't use theirs until the end when they Deus ex machina God mode to defeat the villain.

Basically I'm thinking the other 5's powers are going to be completely impotent and useless, and they're just there for some flash but ultimately pointless with them being a cheer squad at the end again.
>>
>>28099960
t. butthurt EQGfag
>>
>>28099909
The easy reply to that is Sunset Shimmer's development as a character.
>>
>>28100077
Which I would stand behind but the haters will find some way to twist it.
>>
EG has always had a focus on Sunny and Twilight. If you watch it to see our waifu shine and she isn't one of those, then you're gonna have a bad time. I'm a big EG fag and I hate that they have this problem but in a movie as short as EG they only have time to focus on one plot. They even had a "homesick" plot in FG for Sunset and they cut it to focus on Scitwi. Remember though that they thought EG was ending after the first. They never expected to make RR or FG or I'm sure they would have given the mane 5 back stories. But I think they are listening to the criticism from FG and seem to be putting a bit more of a focus on the mane 5 in LoE but it's still hard to give them each a plot that the movie covers in the hour and a half it has. Movies that are able to focus on multiple plots of a group like the avengers do, have an hour more time to do so and they already have sequels planned. They just had to wing it when. Making RR because they never thought they were gonna make it when they wrote EG1. But if they make an EG show like many are wanting, then they can have episodes focusing on each character and have them actually progress in life and being in a modern world I feel like even characters that have almost no progression in FiM will have some in an EG show.
>>
>>28100073
How does that show I'm a butthurt EGfag? I expressed no opinion towards EG or FiM. I'm just saying that doing XDDDD is really autistic and you are just proving my point
>>
>>28100230

Its not so much that they don't have plots as there's NOTHING to do plots ABOUT. The other 5 have zero intricasies, goals or quirks/problems to really explore.
There's no internal things with the other 5 to even start a plot with with them. They're cutouts.

Trying to change that 4 movies in would be like if they suddenly gave AJ a life goal in S6.
>>
>>28100291
Exactly. If they did an EG show, they could give them goals and back stories. I would love to see the EG world more beyond just Sunset and Twilight
>>
File: 1469693377854.png (301KB, 543x555px) Image search: [Google]
1469693377854.png
301KB, 543x555px
>>28100335
>I would love to see the EG world
So the HS?
>>
>>28099909
It is as it is.
The show takes a good number of episodes to show the characters' progress towards individual goals but they can't waste time on that in the movies when they want to tell a different tale. They could have done short/ background scenes/comments to portray such things in the movies but they don't because they would rather focus on the two characters that bring anything new to the series instead of the established ones that are already explored in the main series.
Would it mean anything if they told you Rarity wants to be a fashionista and is opening a boutique in town when it has been done a million times in FiM? I'd rather have the movies not touch the rest of the characters at all if they are just going to tell us what we already know only with humans.
They could find subtle ways of showing such things, there are ways to add depth beyond being so forward or explicit about it, but I guess nobody really cares to do it and would rather have another song.
>>
>>28100230
TL;DR
Short movie times and not knowing that it was continuing after the first didn't allow for mane 5 plots and backstories. A show will be able to do that
>>
File: 1467689378863.gif (475KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1467689378863.gif
475KB, 250x250px
>>28100355
Funny but with a show, they could really expand in the human world. It has many possibilities for each character. Id love to see what else is in the world. Even now they are expanding from the US and going to the camp. Hopefully they continue this trend
>>
File: 1433537271865.png (403KB, 664x792px) Image search: [Google]
1433537271865.png
403KB, 664x792px
>>28100433
>EQG goes to HS
>EQG goes to camp
>EQG goes to a museum
>EQG goes the Washington DC
Sounds like its got a good future ahead!
>>
>>28100480
Seriously, the world has many possibilities for what the mane 5 could go do. Only if they did a show though. Then they could do as they do in FiM and have one episode focus on progressing one character. I'd watch it
>>
>>28100480
>FiM goes to Manehattan
>FiM goes to Canterlot
>FiM goes to the Crystal Empire
>FiM goes to Manehattan
I have been waiting for the show to deliver and it hasn't.
>>
>>28099277
Pinkie and Fluttershy don't have goals or ambitions either.
>>
>>28099277
>down to earth white girl
>hasjews
I wonder why
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.