[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Episodic Criticism Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: quibble.png (266KB, 547x665px) Image search: [Google]
quibble.png
266KB, 547x665px
For your critical discussion needs.
If you're like Dash and don't particularly care about how things go, as long as your favourite comes out on top, you're probably better off somewhere else and not really looking for actual discussion.

Rate today's episode in your post and give a thorough analysis detailing the hows and whys.
As a bonus, feel free to add on how you could've improved the episode.
>>
I'll just leave this here then, for those who haven't rated it "officially" already.

http://www.strawpoll.me/10929327

Ignore the fact that the title of the poll is borked. It should read, "Rate Season 6 Episode 14" and I'm fully aware that I fucked up on that. So just pretend I didn't for now, please and thank you.
>>
I think the episode would have been okay if they treated the CMC like actual characters, like how they did in season 5, instead of mindless, noisy props to fill the "little kids" slot needed for the plot. They degraded their personalities so much here, it's insane that people are complaining about Rarity wanting to show off and AJ being stubborn, instead.
To say that the CMC were in character at all here is a huge insult to everything they've done in the past few seasons and makes me wonder if the person saying it even paid attention to any episodes involving them.
>>
>>28089465
104 current votes.
Average Rating: 5.0481/10
>>
I think what stands out the most is that the ep was anticlimatic
I mean,we all wanted and expected the race and the winners
instead,the title just clickbaits eveything you predicted and shits on it because of the moral

the song in the EXACT MOMENT for the race felt so undeserved and I think that shows how the ep wasnt going for the race at all

the thing is that RD,AJ and Rarity,despite preparing everything,it was all just for the little kids having fun and spend time with adults and dont give a fuck about if they win or not

also,the 3 ribbons were another bait for the plot

this feels like Newbie Dash,anticlimatic,mixed reactions and a moral targeted to the adults
>>
>>28089535
Alright, so OP wanted us to discuss it. So why is it ~5?
>>
>>28089465
>>28089535
WEW
>>
>>28089564
Is it necessarily a bad thing that the winner wasn't focused on? As far as expectations go, I wasn't hyped up or even fully focused on who was going to win. It's a small school derby. The winner was never going to matter and the first thought I had when the medals came out was "The CMC aren't going to win any"

I never had the expectation that they were going to win in the first place, and I also didn't think them actually winning was ever going to matter to the story. Having the "each medal is awarded for a different aspect" only reinforced it.

Basically 'Journey not destination' shtick. Never saw the medals as being important and even thought it was better that the episode ended without that conclusion
>>
Can we change our cutie mark to Quibble's face?
>>
File: 1414817853294.gif (142KB, 550x301px) Image search: [Google]
1414817853294.gif
142KB, 550x301px
>>28089418
I enjoyed the episode. Despite their hinting that each CMC would get an award, I'm glad they didn't actually show it happen so people could draw their own conclusions.
They also didn't follow the tropes people expected when the CMC went to work building their carts. Almost everyone was predicting they would each want what their sisters wanted, but they didn't. It was nice to see this other side of them.
The sisters were a bit too oblivious. They claimed the CMC should have spoken up about what they wanted to do, but they did already. They each said what they wanted to do and were ignored. They even had their stuff removed. No one is that oblivious.
Once again Applejack is incapable of any thought other than apples.

7/10, it was comfy, but not overly great.
>>
The problem with the episode was that it was trying to subvert tropes. The issue here is that subverted tropes are merely tropes themselves. They present it in such an obvious fashion that it comes across as mocking the viewer's intelligence, which isn't a good thing.

Going in to opinions mode here, but;
They wrote the message of today's episode to be geared towards adults.
Not any adults, mind you.
Clingy, overbearing adults.
Soccer Moms.
The issue here is that soccer moms know they're trash and by this point in the series, parents like them are too occupied to be watching the show with their now-teenage children.

Writing characters to fit the narrative is the number one sin of story-telling.
>>
File: illuminati.png (1MB, 1126x1423px) Image search: [Google]
illuminati.png
1MB, 1126x1423px
>>28090066
>Soccer Moms
Wait a minute.
>Derby episode.
>Our muffin (capitalize that) horse has a lot of appearances.
>Our muffin horse had her name changed because of a letter from a mom.
>A Soccer Mom.
>Her name was.
>Derpy.
>Derpy on derby
>An episode about derby with a moral directed on soccer moms.
OH MY GOD.
>>
is this the autism thread?
>>
I haven't seen it yet but judging by that rating, is it worth watching?
>>
>>28090162
>posting on this thread
>on this board
>on this website
>on the internet
>in real life
are you living the autism life?
>>
File: 682562.jpg (55KB, 360x244px) Image search: [Google]
682562.jpg
55KB, 360x244px
>>28090066
>soccer moms
>>
>>28090197
it's an all-round term
>>
>>28090182
nope
>>
>>28090182
Depends on how much you value your time. If you 're looking for a great way to spend twenty minutes then you probably shouldn't be on 4chan.

If anything it's worth watching just so you know when people are referencing it later on, but the references will probably be better than the episode itself. It's rather mediocre.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.