[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that the dust has settled, we can all agree that this was

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 184
Thread images: 23

File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (78KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
78KB, 1280x720px
Now that the dust has settled, we can all agree that this was a great episode, right?
>>
>>27578107
No
>>
File: image.png (405KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
405KB, 1024x576px
>>27578126
t. NEET

>>27578107
Of course. I'd even say it's the second best of the season, and it more than makes up for Rapp's very meh-tier first episode.
>>
>>27578163
The episode was very painful for those who are failures but don't have a way out of it.

One of the biggest reasons some adults watch this show is to escape from the real world for a while, but this episode brought a bit too much of the real world in. So naturally it's hated.
>>
>>27578107

Yes.
>>
>>27578107
Yes.

Zephyr is also an interesting character and objectively best RD ship.
>>
>>27578107
It was red pilled as fuck. Favorite episode of season 6 so far.
>>
>>27578107
Yeah, it was good.
>>
Third best episode of the season so far, so yeah.
>>
File: 1451315427857.png (11KB, 247x312px) Image search: [Google]
1451315427857.png
11KB, 247x312px
>>27578107
>>
>>27578107
I think it's a solid episode.
And 4chan with its hysteria made it even better!

I personally loved to see a good episode with essentially fluttershy and rainbow dash as the main focus.
It's rare!
Actually I think it's the first time ever with so much screen time together.

And more I think about the episode, and how every characters are interacting, more I'm surprised that so little people are pointing out how much Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash are very very close.

I mean in a surprisingly stupefying manner.

This episode is making me wonder if they are actually living together now.
Despite having her own house, Rainbow Dash is just always at Fluttershy's house, so much that every major event happens when she is here. She is even seen brooming the kitchen.
Is Dave Rapp or DHX trying to make a point there?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXkhku-Zo9M
>>
>>27578107
It had its moments (Fluttershy's characterization has definitely come a long way since her pushover beginnings), but Zephyr was just so utterly unlikable. He comes across as more of a condemnation of hipsters (which everyone already hates anyway, and for damn good reason) than he does as a NEET.

I personally think the episode as a whole would have worked better if Zephyr was less of a lazy, self-proclaimed "unrecognized genius" and more of a nervous wreck who has no idea what to do with his life.
>>
>>27578107
Why are you stirring up all the dust again then?
>>
>>27578107
Ain't bad, though I didn't care for the song at all.
>>
>>27578107
It was eh. It felt very sitcom-ish and a bit out of place.

If it weren't for all the information we knew beforehand, it would be another "Twilight has a brother and he's only being mentioned now?"
>>
File: bad_touch.gif (4MB, 793x440px) Image search: [Google]
bad_touch.gif
4MB, 793x440px
>>27578107
It was touching.
>>
>>27578107
It was great.
>>
>>27578348
I think making him utterly unlikable made the episode a little hard to watch at first.
But paid off big time a little later when we see him making an absolute fool of himself.
And with the aftermath of his complete slackery.
Some very good comedy here.
>>
>>27578107
I"M GOING TO FUCKING MURDER YOU

*BREAKS VASE IN HEAD*

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT WAS A GOOD EPISODE, YOU BLOODY FAGGOT.
>>
We really need an episode where Fluttershy's mother teams up with Twilight's mother; and together with the Slowpoke Wonderbolt, and Amethyst Star, they travel back in time to meet the founder of the Wonderbolts.

Applejack and Spike can tag along.
>>
>>27578352
The song was definitely the low point for me too. It really sounded like some unused song from Equestria Girls.
>>
>>27578420
I don't think the song was that bad.
But it came right out of nowhere.
Not even a little intro like the usual.
>>
I didn't like it much. Not a bad episode, per se, just kinda forgettable
>>
>>27578397
Get the /r9k/ wranglers in here, one of the NEET's escaped
>>
>>27578397
*unsheathes katana*

fite me irl faggot, I'll rek u, episode was gud
>>
>>27578107
>Zephyr has a man bun and doesn't shave
>Neet and hipster all rolled into
>A portion of 4chan goes into depression mode because in a small way he is a direct representation of them
best episode so far, I'm enjoying this hatred and how certain anons are literally crying themselves to sleep because they're worthless and a waste of space.
>>
>>27578107
To me it was pretty good. Seeing Fluttershy standing up for herself and not having to relearn having a spine, her parents being what she was pre S1, and that FlutterDash interaction was fun. Song falling so flat hurts a little. So far this season for me it's looking like:

1 No Second Prances
2 The Saddle Row Review
3 A Hearth's Warming Tail
4 Gauntlet of Fire
5 Flutter Brutter
6 The Gift of the Maud Pie
7 Newbie Dash
8 The Crystalling
9 On Your Marks
10 Applejack's Day Off

Worst episode this season for me has just been meh instead of bad, so I'm happy so far.
>>
>>27578471
Is it just me or does it feel like the writer lashed out at the brony fandom and us horsefuckers with this episode? Like, really really subtly telling us to fuck off
>>
>>27578471
I especially love the non ironic ZephyrDash shippers wanting to project in this worthless piece of garbage to "come inside Rainbow Dash"
>>
>>27578107
i got surprised
i mean, i knew he was going to be an asshole and FS's family will appear at the end of the episode, but the rest was good
was great seeing fluttershy being the tough one for a change. the musical in the end was as unnecesary as the song of the starlight's back to the future episode, but was less cringy.
it was a solid 7/10
>>
>>27578443
It was by no means bad, I was just totally unprepared for that song to turn out to be a musical. I got the feeling that the writing crew was contracted to write an episode with a motivational song in it, and they shoehorned it into that one.
>>
>>27578500
It might actually be the case, if it's true I might actually laugh myself into a coma. Then again the writer shouldn't just lump all us horsefuckers in the same pool. Some of us actually can pass as normies.

>>27578503
I can't see how, then again the more depressing groups are the ones that cling and identify with zephyr having a chance, so in a way they hope they do too.
Even when they don't.
>>
Zephyr was ok. I was expecting the worst and then worse, but they made a character that was interesting and fit with the rest.

Fluttershy's character didn't change, but made more sense with her family in the picture. You see that Fluttershy is assertive with them, which is something she gained over 6 seasons. But, her place in the family helps to leverage her current-self with her past-self.

Rainbow Dash was great addition to this episode, as it further shows that they've been friends since fillies, I guess. And Zephyr constantly hitting on her is fun and something the show hasn't really done yet. Trenderhoof was one time joke/plot that they might not bring back, wheres Zephyr is family.

Zephyr himself hit the right spot for me as hipster millennial character. He could've been a fat autistic fuck. He could've been a numale doormat. He could've been a communist. Instead he is egoistic asshole that flirts with his big sister's childhood friend.

What I've seen people hate about him is one; He is the lost fourth CMC. Two; Hes an asshole, which always bothers me when people hate characters that are ment to be assholes. People who boo when DT walks to the screen. Autistic fucks. And Third; Shippers. Soarinshippers, lesbomancers.

Great episode. Good additions.
>>
it had potential to be a 10/10 episode so i'm a bit disappointed on this field. but it was still a very good episode
>>
>>27578323
Nah, dude. You're reading WAY to much into it, even making a few incorrect assumptions. I can tell you're excited because you keep posting the exact same thing here and a few other places

I do agree Dash and FS need more episodes together though. They have a nice platonic dynamic.
>>
I liked this episode, but it didn't really hit home for me because I'm not an asshole, like Zephyr is. I liked the song too, although it came out of nowhere. I'd give it 8/10 rating.
>>
>>27578107
I'm going to risk my neck here and say that I felt that the episode was very good, but fell just short of being great.

I think Fluttershy was handled excellently here and I would argue that it is easily her best episode to date.

What I think holds this episode really back was the episode was a bit on the nose/lacking subtle and Zephyr was treated too much of a generic NEET caricature to really hit that grand slam with the audience had the writer did a better job.

Again, the episode was very good and funny. And it delivered it's awesome message well enough. But, the episode was tedious to watch during it's half way marks where Zephyr had to interact with all of Fluttershy's friends.

I get that Zephyr had to be handed the idiot ball so that we got to point where Fluttershy had to give him the tough love he needed, but it gets tiresome when we kept getting bombarded gags that only work half of the time, and I found myself thinking: "I get it, Zephyr is a goofball loser, get on with it already."

Thankfully, the ending didn't disappoint, but I felt that it would've made it much more impactful if we had a moment where Fluttershy and Zephyr have some really good dialogue and visual cues where it's shown that they really care for each other and they identify with each other since they both suffer with anxieties.

Don't get me wrong, I like that Fluttershy took charge here and gave her brother a nice pep-talk. But, I felt they stopped short here and it would've benefited the episode if they cut some of the bloat in the middle like one of the friend's scenes.

I also liked Zephyr as a character, but I felt that he was used as a throw-away gag character. I would definitely like to see him return as a lovable loser type of character, but the problem with this is he is a male character in a cartoon for girl's and he will probably just be given the spike treatment if he ever returns.
>>
>>27578107
No. It was good. Not great.
>>
>>27578684
This.

The RD-Zephyr dynamic is fucking funny, I hope we'll get more of that.

Also, the parents thinking RD was hitting on Zephyr in the end had me rolling, damn.
>>
Zephyr reminded me of a down on his luck Kat Williams, which was distracting.
>>
>everyone raging over the episode
Worthless NEETs crying because they've been forced to face reality in a children's show.
>everyone beating their chest over it
Beta pushovers that live with or know worthless NEETs and feel vindication because of a children's show.
>everyone else
It was alright/10.
>>
>>27578107
I'm surprised at how good this season is. It's my favorite so far, even if last week's episode wasn't great.

Last week's was the AJ spa one, right?
>>
File: NathanExplosion-1.jpg (15KB, 636x364px) Image search: [Google]
NathanExplosion-1.jpg
15KB, 636x364px
>>27578819
>google 'katt williams recent'
>mfw
>>
God I hate lesbo shippers. They only come in two kinds. Ones that say good friends can only be "good" friends and weeaboos wanting to keep their waifus pure, so they're shipped in packages.
>>
>>27578107
It was the anticipated neet episode.
It's out of the way now. It was well tackled.
>>
>>27578323
>>>/lgbt/umblr
>>
>>27578960
Why are straight shippers more tolerable? Those idiots actually believe their pairings are canon and shove it in everyone's faces. Nobody actually believes lesbians will happen.
>>
>>27578107
I didn't like it not because I'm a failure in life, but because Zephyr was just so annoying. I would've been fine if he was a failure that didn't constantly get into everyone's business and unintentionally fuck with them.
>>
>>27579022
>Nobody actually believes lesbians will happen.

Korrasami.png
>>
>>27579022
Actually there is now several children cartoons with canon lesbian couples.
>>
>>27579022
You underestimate the retardation of yurifags.
>>
>>27578889
You see it too, right?
>>
>>27578856
>>everyone beating their chest over it
>Beta pushovers that live with or know worthless NEETs and feel vindication because of a children's show.

This.

Suddenly every wanna-be / failed normie crawls out the woodwork screaming 'NEETS BTFO XDD' every-thread attempting to take the high ground whilst they discuss a childrens show on a Chinese rice-paddy site

Like nigga you're still posting from a basement, just because it no longer belongs to your mother you don't get to feel superior
>>
>>27578231
>Zephyr
>best RD ship

So basically Dashfags are 100% safe from being canonically cucked.
>>
>>27579022
>No hetero
>>
>>27578107
I liked it but I do not want to see zephyr again. I just don't like that guy.
>>
>>27578107

Meh.

Zephyr is forced to get a job because that's what society expects of him, but what about Fluttershy? She sits in her cabin and jerks off animals all day. It hasn't been established in the show that she makes any money from it... but she's a girl, so it's okay. They don't need to have jobs.
>>
>>27579972
Fluttershy lives by herself and isn't dependent on others. Zephyr lived off of his parents.
>>
File: 1441651795232.jpg (146KB, 900x1073px) Image search: [Google]
1441651795232.jpg
146KB, 900x1073px
>>27579972
I think you're reading way too much into jobs in general. Its not about society expecting it of him. Its about fucking survival. If family structures didn't exist and you were on your own, its either work or don't eat for the day.

People who complain about society expecting them to work are some of the most entitled twats i've ever seen.

How about your only meal for the day being leftover taco shells and water that a taco truck gave you for free? How about not being able to buy yourself food, pay for rent, pay for your stupid internet so you can rant about women not having to get jobs.

Really. Have some fucking perspective for fuck's sake.
>>
>>27578107
I liked it. Especially the comedy and characterization were pretty great
>>
>>27579972
Here's the the ultimate lesson from the episode. It doesn't matter what you want to do, as long as you do it.

None of them were complaining about his goals, they complained that he didn't stick to them, that he'd give up because he was scared of failure.
>>
>>27580031
>How about your only meal for the day being leftover taco shells and water that a taco truck gave you for free?
Taco shells are the bomb you goddamn pompous rich lower middle-class faggot with your only slightly torn clothes.

Fuck outta here with your garbage.
>>
>>27580090
This.

The message was "Don't be afraid of failure, you can do it!" and not "Lel Neet loser git a jobXDDDDDDDD"
>>
>>27579972
Early on in Season 1 she trained birds and she was shown to own a bunch of farm animals like chicken, so it's reasonable to assume she sells their product in the market. It's been suggested that she also sells and nurses pets.

Although I can't get behind it 100%, I do get why people find Fluttershy to be OOC this episode. I can get behind her being pushy with his lazy NEET brother to do simple little jobs since he confessed passion didn't work out again. But seeing her kick her own blood into the a forest full of dangerous animals and then seeing her not really connect on an emotional level with her brother's anxiety's like >>27578746 pointed out felt off.
>>
>>27580107
He had an ultra-caring sister to help him. We just have a cartoon to motivate us.
>>
>just try and you'll automaticaly be successful

episode was "meh"
>>
>>27580090
>Here's the the ultimate lesson from the episode. It doesn't matter what you want to do, as long as you do it.
>None of them were complaining about his goals, they complained that he didn't stick to them, that he'd give up because he was scared of failure.

Great now tell that too a person with a criminal record or was registered as a pedo.
>>
File: 1462826779647.png (171KB, 900x464px) Image search: [Google]
1462826779647.png
171KB, 900x464px
>>27579972
>taking the show seriously

You're getting way too deep...

>but she's a girl, so it's okay. They don't need to have jobs.

Please tell me you're just fucking with us...
>>
>>27580090
>>27580107
Agreed. He should have been completely lazy and not even tried to look for work. Nigger can't even stick to truly being a neet, that's how unmotivated he is.
>>
File: zephyr_is_a_lazy_cunt.png (933KB, 811x1352px) Image search: [Google]
zephyr_is_a_lazy_cunt.png
933KB, 811x1352px
>>27578107

Fluttershy's dad = Bernie Sanders

Zephyr Breeze = Donald Trump

It would certainly explain his workshy entitled wankerboys on /pol/

Discuss.
>>
>>27580132
>Great now tell that too a person with a criminal record or was registered as a pedo.
They're ultimately fucked no matter what they do.
>>
>>27578447
It is pretty forgettable. The only reason I'll remember it is because of all the drama it has generated on here.
>>
Why exactly is Zephyr such an incredible asshole to everyone? That's far from normal.

Was that ever explained?
>>
>>27580868
He wasn't. There wasn't hostility in anything he did.
>>
>>27580868
He was doing the same thing Rainbow Dash used to do: boast about himself to hide his fear of failure.
>>
>>27580937
Yeah, I was actually kind of hoping to see Fluttershy and Rainbow emphasize with the guy more and tell him their shortcomings after his mental breakdown.
>>
>>27578107
>working for the sake of working suddenly matters in a world of pursed hobbies, village group participation (Winter Wrap Up), freeloading (Twilight), free labor (Spike), and Cutiemark destinies
>Fluttershy suddenly hard line about living creatures with no income (aka herself)
>brother and father poorly designed (a nipick I admit)
>brother created and written solely for the plot
>new family character (little brother) but no softer moments to establish some kind of bond with him and Fluttershy
>brother's more of a jerk than having "a fear of failure"
>mane 6 outside of Rainbow knows of brother for some reason even through they just became friends when Twilight came to town
>lel meme NEET butt hurt so I love it
No, the episode sucked.
>>
File: 1452482060783.jpg (23KB, 469x500px) Image search: [Google]
1452482060783.jpg
23KB, 469x500px
>>27578107

It was a chore to watch.

>Zephyrs design was shit.
>Fluttershy's dad looks like he has a pink turd on his head.
>NEET bashing by the mane 6.
>Metrosexual hipster.
>Metrosexual hipster!
>Forced song. Somewhere, Disney cries.
>Problem solved by the power of Shia.
>Nothing changed in the end, like, at all, he went back and lived with his parents anyway.

It had some nice moments, though. None come to mind right now.
>>
They did too good a job making Zephyr unlikeable. Which means when the story got to the part where we were supposed to like him, I still thought he was a dickhead. In fact the best part was when we saw that Rainbow had carried out her threat to zap him with lightning.
>>
>>27578107
>>27578107
Big NEET Cock
>>
>>27582044
Him being unlikable in the first 2 acts was expected. But they went so overboard that people would still hate him if the 3rd act better.

Part of what makes the episode so effective is that most viewers still hated Zephyr after his moment of partial redemption. And the episode at that point just screamed "Don't ever be that guy".
>>
>>27581139
Twilight isn't a freeloader. She's the magical equivalent of a scientist and probably receives government research grants in exchange for any new discovery or magical breakthrough she makes. She was probably paid a hefty sum by Princess Celestia for each friendship letter she sent her since she was studying "The Magic of Friendship" at the time.
>>
>>27582730
She has no viable source of income:

- given a public library to live in
- said job doesn't paid out with any library fees likely needed for upkeep
- no longer under Celestia but still kept the same life style
- became a princess without guards, treasure, or place to rule over an call her own
- said public town library got destroyed with no apparent need to replace it
- got castle mac mansion free from magic
- complains about having nothing to do now days

There is no prove she gets anything from Celestia aside from the library to stay in and any of that is long since over. Like Fluttershy, Twilight has no visible job or income.
>>
File: andydick11.jpg (97KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
andydick11.jpg
97KB, 1200x675px
>>27578107
He should have been voiced by Andy Dick
>>
>>27582928
>said job doesn't paid out with any library fees likely needed for upkeep.
How do you know?
>became a princess without guards
I'll give you that
>No treasure
How do you know?
>Or place to rule over an call her own
She rules the areas around Ponyville, it's called a fief anon.
> said public town library got destroyed with no apparent need to replace it.
The castle replaced it.
>complains about having nothing to do now days.
When did she do that?

You seem to be basing alot of things based on the lack of evident in the show, and if you're doing that. RD,AJ and Rara should be in with how little they work. Rara and AJ should've lost there propriety by now because we don't know how much money they make in a day, and RD is a volunteer with how little she actually works.
>>
>>27583336
Debt*
>>
>>27578107
Not really. It shot it's self in the foot one too many times, and e moral came out looking hypocritical and making no sense. Plus the idea of an episode that exists solely to tell the fanbase to go fuck it's self is on the exact same level as sacrificing the quality to pander.

The fact that almost no one defends it aside from smelling their own farts and just repeating "neets so mad lmao XDDDd" makes it worse. But I dont blame the episode for retarded normies or /r9k/tier reebabies.
>>
>>27578107
With all the scene jumps, random song, and references, I think I know where Discord was, controlling the damn episode. Although an episode entirely written by Discord akin to Supernatural's Fanfiction episode would be fun.
>>
>>27578348
>I personally think the episode as a whole would have worked better if Zephyr was less of a lazy, self-proclaimed "unrecognized genius" and more of a nervous wreck who has no idea what to do with his life.
I have to agree. It was fun to watch Fast and Quiet just have their personalities *not* backfire on them (something I hated about the CMC in earlier episodes), but Zephyr didn't seem particularly organic until the last minute or so when they talk about facing failure versus never trying to begin with. Up until that point, he just comes off as an exploitative Flim/Flam type.

>>27578500
>writers telling us to fuck off
It's tough love. Just like the Heart and Hooves day episode telling shippers where to stick it.

>>27580919
> >He didn't do anything mean.
>Knowingly wrecking your father's lifelong collection of mementos and fucking up your own mom's work of the season
Okay, anon.
>>
Fluttershy hates her brother and hopes he dies
>>
File: ponk.jpg (161KB, 689x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ponk.jpg
161KB, 689x1024px
>>27582928
Who the fuck says being a librarian isn't a job? I don't know where you're from, but not all public libraries collect fees from their patrons (unless materials are damaged or lost). Some even do away with late fees.

Your argument is like saying Cherilee is unemployed because the children don't pay her for the service of her teaching them.
>>
>>27583768
>>27582928
If you don't buy any of that, just think of the Mane Six as firefighters, anon. Yes, perhaps they don't do a tremendous amount most of the time, but it pays to keep on hand, because when you need them, you really do need them.
>>
>>27583498
>moral came out looking hypocritical and making no sense

Uh, how?

> Plus the idea of an episode that exists solely to tell the fanbase to go fuck it's self

Oh yeah...I forgot that the MLP fanbase is full of hair dresser free loaders

You have some serious delusions about your own self importance, buddy
>>
>>27583498
Don't other cartoons cover this topic as well?

Spongebob easily comes to mind. What makes you think this was a jab at the fanbase?
>>
>>27583498
>Not really. It shot it's self in the foot one too many times, and e moral came out looking hypocritical and making no sense.

How so, elaborate, and which moral, there were two of them.

>Plus the idea of an episode that exists solely to tell the fanbase to go fuck it's self is on the exact same level as sacrificing the quality to pander.

I don't really get what you're saying, I mean that sounds like some mad authorial intent there, almost of the level of mind reading. Narcissistic parasites have existed long before this fandom.
>>
>>27583846
>>27583826

>how did the moral flop
They constantly went on about him being afraid to fail when almost nothing he said hinted towards that fact. His first words were he quit because the people teaching him were being too restrictive and it stopped being what he wanted to do. You know, like how Rainbow Dash quit the wonderbolts academy because she didn't agree with the management. Or how Rarity has conflict with stuck-up high society ponies that dismiss her or her friends. But in this case everyone gets pissy with him without hearing him out. Basically, little things like that constantly happened throughout the episode until they just shoved a song in and fixed everything. It didn't connect with me.
>>
>>27583985
>His first words were he quit because the people teaching him were being too restrictive and it stopped being what he wanted to do.
And this was quickly shown to be bullshit and nothing more than an excuse/shifting the blame for his failures on others, when they showed us his bust and how awful it looked

It's the equivalent of getting hired at McDonalds, making a Big Mac out of McNuggets between some pancakes.....getting scolded, and then saying it was the bosses fault and quitting the job

Totally different scenario than Rainbow Dash, where she didn't suck at what she was doing and shift the blame, but she left because she had legitimate concerns about things and by the way the Wonderbolts aren't her job anyway, she has a job already
>>
>>27584085
>how awful it looked
Did you miss Saddle Row Review where they just talked about how dismissing awful ideas like the spoon dress is wrong? Did you miss Literally Everything Pinkie Pie Has Done where she always has terrible ideas and the moral is always dismissing them is wrong?
I don't think it's actually wrong to dismiss that cuntmuffin, but it sure is hypocritical.
>>
>>27583985
So never completing tasks and flip flopping can't be suggestive of being afraid of failure? I mean I don't know how revealing a characters motivations for why they're behaving the way they're behaving makes the moral less effective. The reason we're not told exactly what is fears are is because the rock bottom scene in the woods would have been less cathartic. It obviously suggests that he's putting on an act and didn't want anybody to know his true feelings.

>His first words were he quit because the people teaching him were being too restrictive and it stopped being what he wanted to do

Yeah, because it was an excuse, which I think is was fairly obvious, and then this is affirmed after he continually makes more excuses as the episode goes on. This is great characterization.

The difference between Zephyr and Dash is what happened in Wonderbolts Academy went against her moral code, Zephyr quits for superfluous and quite absurd reasons. "They wanted me to learn hair styling techniques that are popular and required for any hairdresser to learn". Yeah no shit, it's a bit unreasonable to quit over this.

I mean he's clearly being extremely manipulative, he's either extremely lazy, or some kind of fear is holding him back. Your position doesn't make any sense to me.
>>
>>27578684
>Zephyr was ok. I was expecting the worst and then worse, but they made a character that was interesting and fit with the rest.

In the end, that's what got me onto the ride in the first place. Protagonists (and Zephyr was the protagonist of this episode, in that his was the character who had to develop through confrontation) in MLP are flawed.

Fluttershy the neurotic
Rarara the overly dramatic
Rainbow the overcompensating
Twalot the impostor syndroming
Ponka the manic depressive
Appuljack the workaholic

When a flawed character gets an episode, we see their character develop. The ancients who said that a journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step, the /g/ and /fit/ types who say it doesn't matter what you do, just start doing *something* - anything - on task and you'll see the next part comes easier. Etc. etc. etc.

This one was about a flawed character, namely NEET Zephyr actually getting off his plot and into the zone -- a lesson that many of us here, myself included, could stand to relearn.
>>
>>27583841
>What makes you think this is a jab at the fanbase?
Do you have any idea what the average brony is LIKE, anon?

>>27583846
Narcissistic parasites have existed long before this fandom.
Yes, but it's higher than ever now. About 50% of twentysomethings in the US live with their parents. It's fucking unprecedented.

Oh and clinical histrionicism and narcissism is also rising. Maybe it's a generation gap and those things are not being assessed correctly, but it would be a shock if that were really the entire story.
>>
>>27584150
>Did you miss Saddle Row Review where they just talked about how dismissing awful ideas like the spoon dress is wrong?
A set up for a gag essentially, it was done because it was silly. I mean I need to re watch that episode desu so I'm not 100% here but I don't remember the spoon clothes thing being much more than a joke

> Did you miss Literally Everything Pinkie Pie Has Done where she always has terrible ideas and the moral is always dismissing them is wrong?
Like what? I don't remember a time Pinkie ever explicitly failed at her job

That's what's important here....the fact that he fucked up at a JOB
>>
File: shocked.png (735KB, 1279x696px) Image search: [Google]
shocked.png
735KB, 1279x696px
>>27584180
Different anon here.
>I mean I don't know how revealing a character's motivations for why they're behaving the way they're behaving makes the moral less effective
If anything, they should've done the reveal a bit sooner, I felt. As >>27578746 said, the pacing could've been improved some (though the ep was decent as it was). I felt the catharsis and the song at the end PLUS the little epilogue were packed pretty tight into the last few minutes.

Certainly, telling a proper story in ~20min is no mean feat, but if I could rewrite, I would've tried to use the structure of going through all the different friends for odd jobs rather than dropping it as a device as they did. You could've had the blowup with Dash, then two more chances to not-fail with Ponkpone and Orange horse (with the heart-to-heart about fear of failure thrown in somewhere) with something finally working out for him on the last try, then cue the renewed confidence, etc. That would've made for a better structure for dramatic tension, imo.

Overall it was pretty good despite.
>>
>>27580212
>Donald trump
>A NEET
I'm not even into american politics and I know this is wrong
>>
>>27580212
Stupid burnouts
>>
>>27583239
No, Fuck You!
>>
File: Checked.png (848B, 140x125px) Image search: [Google]
Checked.png
848B, 140x125px
>>27578222
>>
It was an "okay" episode. not a "Great" episode.
Like, solid 7.5/10. nothing more, nothing less

The problem is, I didn't empathize with zephyr; They try and say that he's a NEET because he's afraid of failure, but it comes off less that he's afraid of failing and just that he's an obnoxious douchebag.
So even when they show him sweating and stuff, I can't really feel any empathy for him.

And this is the problem: for an episode like this, in order to root for him and feel a sense of applause at him succeeding at the end, I need to be emotionally invested in him and root for him through empathy. I don't get that.
All I get at the end is "Oh good, the asshole's moving out and won't bother fluttershy and her parents anymore".

So, its gets a 7-7.5/10 due to that instead of a 9-9.5/10
>>
>>27584903
I agree with pretty much everything you said, I don't sympathize with him at all...but that being said I don't feel every character needs to be 100% sympathetic, as in real life there are some people who are just obnoxious, douchey, selfish, etc no matter what

And desu, we've had characters like that before...Trixie is a good example, and I am a big fan of her, but she has never stopped being the self obsessed diva we were originally supposed to hate her for...sure she isn't a completely villainous character either, but she is still ultimately still a show boat and some of us find that endearing

Compare that to another character like Diamond Tiara, who has been a complete and total bitch but we've been given a reason why and can sympathize with her because of that....it can go either way but not every character needs to be totally sympathetic, Zephyr will probably continue to be an utter douchebag in any future appearances....just an utter douchebag who can hold a job.
>>
You know Rainbow is gonna cave in sooner or later. Zephyr is a Pussy Destroyer.
May Celestia have mercy on Rainbow Dash's vagina
>>
>>27578352
The main story was handled better than most people expected, but it was interrupted by an uninspired and awkwardly presented song. It's like the bizarro version of A Hearth's Warming Tail.
>>
>>27578107
oh please this episode was good, it's just that the Rainbow fags felt threaten by Zephyr
>>
>>27580128
If I had to pick one major failure of the episode, it'd be that getting a job was portrayed as quick and simple, which it isn't. Just getting hired to work at a fast food restaurant can take months. Job hunting is in itself a full-time occupation, and if you're like Zephyr and have spent a lot of time unemployed, the lack of experience makes it even harder.
>>
>>27580128
If first you don't succeed. Realize that you will never get that time back, and never try it again.
>>
>>27585137
Job hunting was only easy due to Fluttershy being an absurdly Successful and connected individual.

If you're related to someone who knows the Governor as a close friend, you can literally have a job that easy by them snapping their fingers.
>>
>>27585164
Yeah, most of us don't have siblings who are close friends with five different potential employers.
>>
>>27585185
My friend got me a job once, so I can relate with Zephyr.
>>
>>27585194
I can relate because I have no job and am constantly losing motivation to look for one.

But at least I'm not fucking up my parents' house.
>>
File: anita sarkeesian.jpg (112KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
anita sarkeesian.jpg
112KB, 1024x683px
>>27585194
Check your fag privilege, anon.
>>
I say Zephyr is one of the realest and relate-able characters this show has had. And since this is a kid's show they had to end on a good note.
This is the first and probably last time I can say a character from mlp was so relate-able to me.
>>
>>27585137
>Try to find a job is difficult and basically torture
I've been out of the gay for a while now, but I've totally been in that sitch, senpaiine

It hadn't occurred to me, but that is a good point. That aspect of the episode would've made sense IRL if we were back in 1970 or earlier, where you could just take the "help wanted" sign from the window and at least score a gig working the register at a diner or record store or something but now there's this whole process to it. They at least gave us somewhat of a "count your blessings" type message towards the end when he thanks Fluttershy and Dash, but it wasn't well-highlighted that he would've been beyond fucked without family or friends' support.
>>
File: sam frontview raw 2.png (270KB, 1164x720px) Image search: [Google]
sam frontview raw 2.png
270KB, 1164x720px
>>27585274
>Zephyr Breeze
>relatable
>no other MLP characters are relatable
You must be one shitty, autistic knob of a person, anon.
>>
>>27585346
Yup you're right on the money. I'm basically Zephyr, but without the happy ending
>>
>>27578107
I loved it. I'm not like him, but I thought he was a great character and don't see how everyone thinks he was too unlikable. His personality made sense to me, and not in a shallow "oh he's just an asshole, like all those real losers!" way. I felt it. The song, while awkwardly placed, wasn't bad, either.
>>
>>27580212
Zephyr Breeze is a self-made billionaire?
>>
>>27578210
Stay mad neet
>>
>>27578107
I liked it a lot.
>>
I enjoyed the episode, thought is was funny as hell. But then again I have a job and my own place... I can see why it isn't well lived around here. Zephyr may not exactly mirror most anons, but I'm sure he hit a little too close to home.
>>
File: 1465229389856.jpg (560KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1465229389856.jpg
560KB, 2560x1440px
>>27578107
Ywah
>>
Yeah, it was. I have to concede that it's always pretty awkward when they introduce new characters and the old characters act like they've known each other forever. That said, Fluttershy being assertive was great, Zephyr not being just a genderswap of Fluttershy was great and the episode was pretty funny overall. I didn't really like the song though.
>>
>>27582928
Silver Quill suspects that Twilight is actually a member of Equestria's 1% and her parents are stinking rich.
>>
>>27578107
Every time a shit episode happens, this thread gets made. And every time they still fall for the bait. I love it.
>>
File: UPkhsWy[1].jpg (89KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
UPkhsWy[1].jpg
89KB, 500x667px
>>27579972
>but she's a girl, so it's okay.
>>
>>27582928
Celestia is her income. Twilight wouldn't have been able to be at sunbutt's beck and call if she had to work at quills and sofas 4-5 days a week.
>>
>>27584979
https://derpiboo.ru/1172129
>>
>>27583661
>telling shippers where to stick it

Everywhere?
>>
>>27578746
>I get that Zephyr had to be handed the idiot ball so that we got to point where Fluttershy had to give him the tough love he needed, but it gets tiresome when we kept getting bombarded gags that only work half of the time, and I found myself thinking: "I get it, Zephyr is a goofball loser, get on with it already."

Agreed, and to add, I think they should have changed Zephyr slacking off to Zephyr trying to do his work, but failing and then slacking off.

Zephyr strikes me as a character that could have appeared in a CMC episode: He is a stallion with a cutie mark, so he knows what his special talent is. But then he left the family that has been telling him he can do no wrong since he was born and suddenly in the real world he finds out he can't do as well as he expected.

So, much like every character with cutie-mark problems, he spiralled off into confusion. Though unlike Troubleshoo's who gets depressed, or Diamond Tiara who gets angry, Zephyr keeps trying desperately to find his place, but whenever he failed again he gave up thinking that wasn't his place either until trying, failing and slacking became his way of life.

If we'd seen more of Zephyr failing rather than simply slacking from the start, the end message of "don't worry if you fail at first, just try again until you succeed" would have had a bit more impact.

All in all this was a good episode, especially with showing just how much Fluttershy has grown, but Zephyr could have used a bit more tweaking to make this episode really great.
>>
>>27578107
>even when you get to Equestria your waifu won't love you
This is hands-down the most painful episode in the show's history.
>>
File: latest[1].png (206KB, 344x444px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
206KB, 344x444px
Starlight is in pretty much the same situation that Zephyr is. She has no job and is just freeloading off of Twilight. I wonder why the show didn't address this?
>>
>>27583498
>The fact that almost no one defends it aside from smelling their own farts and just repeating "neets so mad lmao XDDDd" makes it worse. But I dont blame the episode for retarded normies or /r9k/tier reebabies.

Right here. That's all there is to say about the episode. if you ignore the pissing contest between these two groups, it's just a 4/10 slightly shit episode with bad intentions of pissing off it's own fanbase

I notice the 3 other anons replying to you don't seem to address this. just goes to show typical selective reading on 4chan
>>
>>27586623
Because since Twilight took her in as her 'student', Starlight is getting the same paycheck that Twilight got (ie Canterlot Taxes)
>>
>>27578231
>using "objectively" in a subjective sentence
I don't know why this makes me so salty, but it does
>>
>>27586623
She's a student. Equestria very likely has great support for affordable education, and the free housing at Twilight's place is actually cheaper on that support than getting Starlight her own place.
>>
>>27578107
I thought the episode was nice.
>>
How relevant is this article?

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-harsh-truths-that-will-make-you-better-person/#ifrndnloc
>>
>>27586670
If it was taking potshots at the fandom he would have been a pathetic, cringy loser instead of an egotistical narcissistic douchebag.
>>
>>27578323
Are you autistic flutterdahs shipper? The episode made a point that both Fluttershy and her parents is comepletely fine with Zephyr and Dash hooking up.
>>
>>27578107
I thought the song was shite, it was really flaccid, nothing interesting about it.

Apart from that though, I really enjoyed the episode, one of the best we've had in a while.
>>
File: 02a.png (836KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
02a.png
836KB, 1200x675px
>>27586879
>sjwedgybetanumaleclickbait.com
>>
KILL URSELF
>>
>>27580212
Sanders didn't stop being a useless layabout NEET until his 40s
>>
Didn't watch the episode when it aired and I'm seeing people say there was a big reaction, what was it like? Anyone got an archive link or anything?
>>
File: implying lyra.gif (272KB, 850x924px) Image search: [Google]
implying lyra.gif
272KB, 850x924px
>>27586950
>implying those are mutually exclusive in any way whatsoever
>>
>>27587685
There really wasn't a big reaction, /pol/ and /r9k/ came over and turned the general in a wagecuck thread, which was just like any other r9k vs pol wagecuck thread ,"neets on suicide watch" and "this is what wagies actually believe" repeated ad nauseam.

Some people said it hit a little too close to home for them but that's about it.
>>
>>27578107
Zephyr reminds me of Emperor Kuzco for some weird reason.
>>
File: Zephyr_Breeze_cutie_mark_S6E11.png (27KB, 128x96px) Image search: [Google]
Zephyr_Breeze_cutie_mark_S6E11.png
27KB, 128x96px
>>27586491
What does his cutie mark mean, anyway? Being wishy-washy? Is that his special talent?
>>
>>27588218
The key is in his name. A zephyr breeze is another word for a gentle breeze. Basically he's like a feather floating in the wind, going wherever it takes him.
>>
>"I like to like things that make others mad" The Post

Captcha: ships

ARE YOU EVEN TRYING TO NOT BEING THIS NEWFAG?
>>
>Fluttershi wus graet cuz assurtuiv n chrakter depelovment
Yeah, let's hope we get more character development this season, like Derpy getting her eyes straightened out or Rainbow Dash giving up her spot in the Wonderbolts because she feels bad that someone else isn't getting it.

Christ fuck my ass you people either don't get Fluttershy's character or don't know how character design and development works.
Then again, you're likely just giddy in your pants about Dom Fluttershy being canon.
>>
File: 1464479386821.png (170KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
1464479386821.png
170KB, 450x450px
>>27588752
>Then again, you're likely just giddy in your pants about Dom Fluttershy being canon.

N-no anon, t-that's totally not why, stop making stuff up.
>>
File: 1465020560618.jpg (55KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
1465020560618.jpg
55KB, 480x720px
>>27578323
Fluttershy/Rainbow is as much happening as Fluttershy/Zephyr incest. I think it's time for you to off yourself as soon as possible.
>>
>>27588752
>Dom Fluttershy
Nigga plz, Fluttershy worked well this episode because she knew when to put her foot down without getting over assertive or blunt all while still showing her compassion.

If any character was handled not all that well, it was Zephyr as other anons have pointed out like >>27578746 and >>27578348
>>
>>27586623
Technically she's on probation.
>>
>>27588752
>Christ fuck my ass you people either don't get Fluttershy's character or don't know how character design and development works.

Well you're right on one thing, this isn't development. It's character consistency. After several episodes of Fluttershy learning to stand up for herself in various ways over the course of the last six seasons, it's good to see that some of it actually sticks.
>>
It was a nice fun episode with a strong moral. Fluttershy was a little OOC but I don't really care for her anyway.

People who are saying "lol I loved it cuz it caused le butt hurt xD" are the purest examples of fans of the fandom though, and should kill themselves.
>>
>>27589124
Honestly, how was she OOC? It was established Zephyr was useless as fuck his entire life and that Fluttershy was Flustered as hell with him.

I mean hell, it's been shown in Season 1 that Fluttershy can be blunt as hell when she is annoyed and she has moments where she comes across as harsh when others try to walk over her like a doormat without losing her compassion.

See >>27589091 and >>27588995
>>
>>27588218
What does cheerilee's cutie mark mean?
Sometimes ponies do shit that's COMPLETELY unrelated to what their cutie mark looks like
>>
>>27588174
with the difference being that Kuzco was likeable and turned into a character who cared about others at the end while zephyr still seemed like an unlikeable douche at the end.
>>
>>27589224
Fluttershy leaning how to stand up for herself is one thing. Fluttershy turning from a quiet doormat into a snarky bitch from muh flutterdom fanfics is another. It'd be fine if her anger slowly built up throughout the episode until she decided to stand up to Zephyr, but she was shooting him dirty looks from before the opening theme started. She was easily showing less restraint than any other main character of the show, which is enough of a leap from her original character to comfortably call it OC rather than reasonable character development.
>>
>>27589266
Fluttershy and RD have both known Zephyr for years, so they're both pretty fed up with his bullshit by this point. If Flutters had just met Zephyr, she would've given him the benefit of the doubt just like the other M6.
>>
>>27589266
>Fluttershy turning from a quiet doormat into a snarky bitch from muh flutterdom fanfics is another.

LOLWUT? Fluttershy wasn't being sarcastic or an evil bitch, she was very calm but firm with zephyr. She outright stated "Sure you can stay with me" when he came over, she just said that he HAD to get a job.
that's not being a bitch, that's being 100% supportive there, she didn't call him worthless or snark at him, she was just not a doormat for him.
>>
>>27578107
The episode was cringey because its remind us of ourselves. However it's one of the best and important lesson this show ever gave. Yes the episode was great, even it was cringey.
>>
Weebs Everywhere.
>>
>>27583336
>She rules the areas around Ponyville, it's called a fief anon.
I doubt it. Equestria is more like a loose coalition of states that report to Celestia and Luna, but are still governed by their own leaders. Twilight falls more on the Equestrian side of the relationship, at least in her role, and she seems to be more of a diplomat than anything else.
>>
>>27589395
Twilight seems more like a figurehead that still performs Diplomatic duties for her nation regardless, like the Royal family of england.
>>
>>27589339
Yes, she outright said she would support her brother no matter what and all that was expected was of him was to do a low effort side job that he failed on many occasions.

And when she finally did kick him out she was visibly distraught and needed RD to assure her that she did the right thing.
>>
>>27586499
Anyone who's saying "your waifu won't love you" or anything because of this episode is a retard. One, because your waifu is a separate instance from the show character, and will ALWAYS love you as long as you love her. Two, because love has nothing whatsoever to do with your employment status and anyone who bases their love for you on something like that is incredibly shallow and basically trash as far as partners go. Love is based on really liking someone, loving spending time with them, sharing feelings, etc, you get the idea. Having a job of some form and helping with finances, or helping in some other way, is just a practical means to an ends for a comfortable living standard, and easing the burden on each other where possible, but it has nothing to do with whether or not someone loves you, as long as they aren't a shallow moron.

Now, before someone gets salty, I'm not saying that if you're in a relationship, you shouldn't help contribute, whether monetarily or through other means; of course you should. But that's just an expectation of being in a relationship, and isn't why someone loves you. If someone loves you, it's because they like you and like spending time with you and sharing feelings and all those other nice things. Anyone who bases their love for someone off of their employment status or perceived success alone is terribly shallow.

tl;dr your waifu will love you because love has nothing to do with 'muh employment' and everything to do with the bond you share and the time you spend together and all those other nice things, but sure, she'd want you to help support with either finances or other stuff. she'd love you with all her heart either way, but it's common damn courtesy that you do what you can to help, to help ease the burden on each other. the good news is that based on this episode it seems like it's easy to get a simpler job in Equestria, so you can help without having any super special skills.
>>
>>27590796
As for my thoughts on the episode itself... meh. I think, for the most part, it was handled poorly, though perhaps part of that is the 22 minute time limit.

Either way, despite it's many shortcomings, it did have a happy ending and showed that Fluttershy and Dash did truly care about him, as they and the others spent the whole episode supporting him, despite him being a huge jerk. I just wish the writers could have focused more on the fear of failure side of this, and played less of the episode for laughs, because it seems like something that should be taken seriously and it would have been a good opportunity to have some more touching moments.
>>
>>27589390
>complaining about weebs
>On 4chan
>>
This show is no longer for little girls and I hate it for that reason.
What the fuck are little girls supposed to do with the moral of this episode?
It's like all of the original quality has been scraped away and there's nothing left but memes.
>>
>>27578107
Flutters brother was kind of a dickbag considering his situation.
I don't see how him getting a job or finishing his studies will fix him being a dickbag.
>>
>>27593442
Actually if you don't care about the moral of the story.
It's a pretty fun episode too.

Even if the moral was for little girls or boys or whatever. A moral in a kids story is more of an excuse to have the "educative" label. As they tend to ignore it...

I kind of like the fact that the morals are sometime (but not always) very adults oriented.

When kids watching the show will grow up.
They may look back at it and think that it wasn't bad at all.

Exactly like my generation is looking back at Animaniacs and such.
>>
>>27593966
I figured what the kids will take from this is that weird uncle anon would be okay if only someone took the time to help him.
Thread posts: 184
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.