[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Applejack actually retarded?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 10

Is Applejack actually retarded?
>>
>>27490653
It meant she had her reasoning of doing the thing in this exact fashion, but the reason is already gone, while AJ continues to do it the same way nevertheless due to the force of a habit.
The lesson was decent, however going hyperbola was a bit too much.
>>
>>27490653
You misspelled Neil Dusedau. And the answer is yes, he is.
>>
>>27490653
No it's the writers that make her retarted.
>>
File: this.png (40KB, 392x197px) Image search: [Google]
this.png
40KB, 392x197px
>>27490706
>>
>>27490687
this
>>
File: 1409212888419.png (256KB, 923x674px) Image search: [Google]
1409212888419.png
256KB, 923x674px
>>27490706
Fucking writers, its so hard to write a traditional family focused character without fucking up?
>>
>>27490687
What could have been a good replacement for that scene, then?
I'm not saying you're wrong, I actually agree wholeheartedly, but for discussion's sake, what other farm-related chore could she have been doing in needlessly complicated ways?

I don't know basic farm living because I'm an inner-city fuckboy.
>>
>>27490653
Question: just how did Twilight and Rarity expect Applejack to turn on all those pumps at once? And if only certain sections needed more water than isn't Applejack's method better?
>>
>>27490815
It's all the same crop and they're evenly spaced out. I doubt any plot needed more water than another.
>>
>>27490752
Actually the best route would have been to make Applejack realize she is doing ritually some needless things.
And show her question herself and fixing her shit herself. Not showing her struggling at each, and have the solution coming from her friends.

I know friendship, etc... But her friends already done the job of opening her eyes.
The rest, she is not retarded enough to be guided for every little steps.
>>
>>27490653
ignore this episode
>>
>>27490752
Hard to say - I ain't no writer for MLP nor a farmer. However the chicken feeding scene sent the message without it looking that stupid.

In this particular scene, instead of watering one tile multiple times, they could've done with opening all the vents one at time. My first thought at the beginning of the scene was that exactly. So she would be used to doing it in that fashion due to presumably having problems/leaks/damage on the old watering system, however now everything is fixed, so you can keep all vents open and control the watering with only the main one.

Anyway this stuff is much better when is spoken about - not the best lesson to "show". Hell, even AJ going full Mission Impossible on feeding pigs didn't looked as stupid, as she explained the reason. Still, it was pretty stupid.
>>
>>27490864
They probably could have cut out the entire spa part for this, to be honest. I don't think anything happening at the spa was tied very well to the moral, or even the events that happened at the end.
>>
>>27490827
Type of soil; plant pick; weather condition; ground critters borrowing holes messing with water flow; how the plants grow, you'd be surprised.
>>
>>27490939
There's a saying in russian:
"You can see a mote in another person's eye, in your own you can't notice a log".
Scene in the spa was exactly that.
>>
>>27490977
>In Russian
That is a saying everywhere.
>>
>>27490977
Yes, but that was one minor thing at a spa. It seems like AJ runs her entire livelihood based on being retarded. The sprinkler thing was the biggest one of them all: that's not even doing something that's overcomplicated, that's not even going through the thought processes to realize how you should be doing things.

THAT scene among others made her look stupid. The fact that she couldn't think "Oh I need to do all of this first then just turn this and it goes all at once," shows that she's stupid. This whole episode was just her being dumb as shit until other people whose jobs aren't farming showed her how to do the thing she spent her whole life doing but doing poorly because she is dumb and puts no thought into anything.
>>
>>27490653
Kinda
>>
File: whydoesthisguylooklikezyzz.gif (1MB, 400x320px) Image search: [Google]
whydoesthisguylooklikezyzz.gif
1MB, 400x320px
>>27490653
No, just the writers who need to resort to kids' show cliches to present an moral.
>>
*Stubborn.
She was depicted perfectly in character as being stubborn, both for the fact that she wanted to fix the sauna instead of relaxing at Rarity's insistence and that her traditionalist mindset kept her locked it a repetitive routine without considering better alternatives.
>>
>>27491018
Yeah, cause destroying a town over a due date or hibernation isn't retarded either.
>>
File: 1441768022189.jpg (14KB, 290x180px) Image search: [Google]
1441768022189.jpg
14KB, 290x180px
>>27491102
>>
File: 1451965260425.jpg (133KB, 728x636px) Image search: [Google]
1451965260425.jpg
133KB, 728x636px
>>27491124
>missing the point
>>
File: smug rarara.png (243KB, 638x585px) Image search: [Google]
smug rarara.png
243KB, 638x585px
>>27491124
That would actually be tu quo que, since that anon was diverting criticism of AJ with criticism of other characters.
>>
>>27490815
That's not the improvement.

What Applejack should have done is turn all the valves, then turn the main water supply valve, so that every crop gets watered at the same time.
>>
>>27491151
>tu quoque
That's just a fancy way of saying "no u".
>>
>>27491166
Doesn't mean it's not valid.
>>
>>27491102
At least in those cases, the ponies presented actually gave some sort of thought to what they were doing. Even if their logic was flawed, they thought about hypotheticals, made a plan, and were willing to change it when it didn't work or something better would work.

Applejack clearly never gives her work on the farm similar thoughts. She just goes with the first thing that gets what she wants done and sticks to it no matter what. And yeah I get the moral that you can't see your own problems, but at the same time these are very obvious things that literally every other pony were plainly seeing as ridiculous.

According to this episode, AJ just does the first thing that works and never questions anything. Maybe she SHOULD start learning things.
>>
>>27491166
No, it means "you too" retard.
Didn't you learn Latin in high school?
>>
>>27491177
>According to this episode, AJ just does the first thing that works and never questions anything
Lol, where are you getting that from? She wouldn't have invented those new ways in the first place if she couldn't change anything. You saw yourself that AJ had chain new solutions upon old ones with the chickens.

Didn't you watch Somepony Watching Over Me and Family Appreciation Day? The methods themselves may seem silly to others but there's a reason for them and always had a purpose. Sometimes you can over think things though. And with the among of tasks done on the farm and the Twilight style in approaching to them, AJ would fall into the same trap of getting over organized.
>>
>>27490653
Yes.
>>
>>27491267
Because the problems that she was responding to with the methods ceased to be problems but she didn't stop doing those methods. You know, the thing Twilight said was the issue?
>>
AJ was doing stuff she didn't need to anymore, right?
>>
File: 1331835889680.png (289KB, 690x690px) Image search: [Google]
1331835889680.png
289KB, 690x690px
Personally I thought the episode had a lot of s1/s2 charm to it. A simple episode set in ponyville about the characters with very little pandering. I wish more episode were like that but unfortunately we'll have to put up with glim glam and the horses saying dee jay pone three every time there's a musical reference.
>>
>>27491434
I agree 100% dude
>>
>>27490653
No.

She's just a silly pony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NUgUu2_gBc&ab_channel=LM1313
>>
>>27491166
Basically it's an appeal to hypocrisy
>>
File: tweet_jh_ado.png (52KB, 495x386px) Image search: [Google]
tweet_jh_ado.png
52KB, 495x386px
>>27490653
>>27490706
>>27490697
Why wasn't he mentioned in Josh's tweets?
Let the conspiracy theories commence.
>>
>>27491860
Who's a silly pony now?
>>
>>27491888
A-PPLE-JACK
>>
>>27490653
Every character is as retarded as the plot demands to post S2
>>
>>27491964
That's been true since S1 nostalgiafag.
>>
>>27491860
Further reinforcement that Appul Hoars is a retard.
>>
>>27492007
It wasn't as prominent back then
>>
I wonder if the zapapple traditions are also just stupid shit granny hasn't realized that is not necessary anymore.
>>
>>27492229
If it's a tradition, there's probably a reason behind it that's been forgotten. It may still be valid, it might not.

It's like the whole "don't eat pork" prohibition in desert religions.
>>
>>27491013
I suppose, I only know russian version though.
>>
>>27491018
That's why I said they went overboard with hyperbola.
It's a topic that's hard to explain without showing, and that's exactly what writers tried to do.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.