[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, why do they keep trying to imply that Starlight was evil?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: tumblr_nyzt2wNmYS1rtgl9ho8_1280.png (394KB, 723x737px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nyzt2wNmYS1rtgl9ho8_1280.png
394KB, 723x737px
So, why do they keep trying to imply that Starlight was evil?
She was arguably one of the least evil "villains" this show's had. Unlike any of the other villains, she did not do what she did for the sake of power and or being immoral. She did so because she legitimately thought she was doing a good thing, and only went too far because her ideology got to her head, yet the show so far has tried twice to imply that she was evil like Tirek or Nightmare Moon.
>>
>>27228882
>she legitimately thought she was doing a good thing
says every evil person ever, you fucking dumbass
>>
Communism is evil.
>>
>>27228882
>forcibly held ponies against their will

that's evil bro
>>
>>27228910
Nah, Tirek, Nightmare Moon, Discord, Sunset Shimmer were all selfish.
>>
>>27228882
>past Starlight
>not bad
Is this a joke?
>>
>>27228910
No anon. Pretty much every other villain is a villain for more selfish reasons. Mostly power in MLP's case.
Starlight, on other hand, did all of this because she thought pure equality would make everyone happy.

>>27229329
I said evil, not bad.
>>
>>27228882
The sayings "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" and "every villain is the hero of her own story" come to mind. Just because you believe you have a righteous cause doesn't mean your means are justified.
>>
>>27228882
Well, you know what they say about the road to hell...

Regardless of WHY she was doing something, the fact of the matter is, Glimmer was making people unhappy, brainwashing people, literally crashing the timeline and probably doing a whole slew of other things that can't really be justified by good intentions.
>>
File: 1459010830933.png (386KB, 660x549px) Image search: [Google]
1459010830933.png
386KB, 660x549px
>>27229388
>>27229441
Fair enough.
I still think simply saying "I was so evil" is pretty childish and shallow writing, though. Makes it feel as if they were implying she was Tirek or something, when she was much deeper than that.
>>
>>27228882
>she did not do what she did for the sake of power
Right, that's why she kept her cutie mark, lied to everyone and was the leader of the village with her own special house instead of just another villager.
>>
>>27229597
>>27229549
Also, travelling back in time just to break up someone's friendship out of spite is enough to qualify for "evil", I think.
>>
I just wish she kept some of her confidence and snark we saw in Season 5. Watching he constantly self-flaglate time after time is a bit annoying.
>>
starlight's evilness could be described as an idealistic evil (a "justified" good), while most of the other villians had a demonic evil (selfish intentions)
>>
>>27229597
She never did any of that for power, she did it for the sake of equality.
Like I said, her ideology got to her head, which made her take some more drastic measures. Pretty sure she realized that reaching her goals would be nearly impossible without being a bit above everyone else.
>>
>>27229743
>nearly impossible without being a bit above everyone else
Ergo she realized her idea didn't work but still held onto it for selfish reasons.
>>
>>27229597
>that's why she kept her cutie mark
she kept her cutie mark because she was the only one capable of taking the cutie marks of the other ponies, once all ponies had been equalized she'd have given hers too.
>>
>>27229852
Suuure she would. You keep telling yourself that.
>>
>>27229871
>>27229852
Especially since new ponies will still be born who could acquire cutie marks.
>>
The show isn't implying she was evil.

Other ponies imply she was evil because she brainwashed a village, stole cutie marks, and royally fucked up the time stream, which all sounds pretty evil.

Starlight implies she was evil because she understands now that what she thought was the right thing to do at the time was actually pretty evil.
>>
>>27229379
>I said evil, not bad.

Same thing in a children's show. Stop overthinking it.
>>
>>27229625
>I just wish she kept some of her confidence and snark we saw in Season 5.

Did you just watch today's episode?
>>
>>27229871

There sometimes is such a thing as a true believer.
>>
>>27228882
>tfw show repeatedly shits on social marxism

pottery.
>>
>>27229743
It's not why she did it, it's what she did. The weird communist village was bad, but I can forgive that. It's the time travel purely to breakup a friendship for her own goals that is what makes her 'evil' (though I agree not as evil as the other villains.)
>>
>>27228910
Not every villain in MLP
>>
>>27228882
she has no personality anon so evil is her new personality.
Similar to discord having too much personality so he got demoted to buffoon
>>
>>27228942
Pol Pot did nothing wrong.
>>
>>27228942
Nice
>meme
>>
>>27229549
Here, I'll copy my reply from the other thread:

Calling her past self "evil" is just a way of trying to move on, and refusing to make excuses for herself. I mean, I agree, but it's still too fresh for her to be conciliatory about her past self without backsliding.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.