[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Writefags' Guild

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 455
Thread images: 95

Let’s get hypothetical.

You’re a writer who’s been going at it for a bit now. You really enjoy what you do and put your blood, sweat, and tears into each story. One day, you decide to post it in a random thread to get some feedback.

Just one problem: no takers.
You wonder if you should even bother writing; you decide to quit and move on to something else.

If that story applies to you, then hold your horses. If all you wanted was feedback, to improve your writing skills a bit, or maybe just see how others do it, then you’ve come to the right place. There are a few rules, however:

>Posting the story directly in the thread is preferred over a link to Pastebin, FiMFiction, etc.

>One story at a time.

>Don’t be a dick or asshole when reading or critiquing.

>All stories posted within the thread must be pre-written.

This thread’s purpose is to encourage writefags all over /mlp/ to write. We’re laid back here. Post what you want as long as it’s pone related. We’re not all “STOREEEYS ONLY!” We discuss topics such as writing techniques, interesting tropes, and bring forth story ideas. Let’s have fun.
>>
>>25313464
Tips and links:

Things you should know about before writing clop:
Vhatug’s tips for anatomically correct clop and squash soup:
http://pastebin.com/g4VpEg4f

http://www.literotica.com/s/erotic-synonyms (Because using dick, balls, and pussy just isn’t enough to get the reader off. Remember, the reader cums first.)
Had to. Puns are awesome.

Things you should know about writing:
Clever’s Tips on How to Write Short Stories: http://pastebin.com/GGBkxi7e
How to into writing: http://pastebin.com/V1ujiyJt
Writing rules from Navarone: http://pastebin.com/bnMmZ2T3
Ezn’s Guite to writing Fanfiction: http://eznguide.neocities.org/
Writing Book for beginners: https://mega.co.nz/#F!pwo21SKA!dljqCUmOhkwLX3x9_ApEgQ
Help for creating OC characters: http://www.dawnsomewhere.com/ocguide/

A few authors from different threads should you seek inspiration from their stories:
Flutterrape general’s writers: http://pastebin.com/eG8iY7Wy
Active AiE general writers: http://pastebin.com/mVG33ERX
PiE general’s writers: http://pastebin.com/Mgd0QuNy

>“How do I cure my writer’s block?”
Magic.
>“FUCK YOU ANSWER THE QUESTION!”
There’s no one way to cure it, but, if you can’t write, you may as well read stories. There’s more to writing than writing; there’s reading too, and that helps. Check some of the links above.
Try the following (keep in mind this won’t work for everyone):
-Figure out when it’s the best time for you to write.
-Fap then write*.
-Write anyway, and allow yourself to write shitty stories. More often than not, the block is the fear of it being bad. That’s what editing is for.
-Seriously, drink coffee. It’s a writer’s best friend.
-Listen to music while writing.

*Unless you’re writing clop, then listen to your boner.
>>
Bump

Damn I was scared when I couldn't find the thread for a couple of days.
>>
>>25313893
I was tempted to put it back up last week, but it was only a day or two away from my weekend bender, so I figured I'd just wait.

So how was everyone's Halloween?
>>
>>25314508
I haven't continued writing in days. The IRL stress is stealing my time.
>>
Glad to see this back.

Also, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I experienced one of the most satisfying character arcs in a long time, and it came from fucking tales from the borderlands of all places.
>>
>>25313464
This is a nice thread and I'm glad it's back.

>>25314508
Have fun, anon. Also, we don't celebrate Halloween here, but overall life has been good.

>>25314522
What's up, anon? You alright?

>>25314815
Do tell about it.
>>
>>25314965
Dissertations, man.
>>
>>25314508
Wild and sleepy.
>>
Bumpsssss
>>
Your broken art needs bending.
>>
Slow boogie right now.
How's everyone doing?
>>
Bumnp
>>
Damn Moot two. Fucker needs to get his shit together.
>>
Dude! I've missed this thread. How are you guys? How's life treating you all?
>>
>>25318485
I'm being lazy, and life is nice and chill. How about yourself?
>>
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/127159/death-and-fluttershy

I'm like, the only one who posts in this thread stories to review. Isn't that funny?

But, yea, review me.
>>
>>25320619
>>
>>
>>25318485
Pretty good. Need to write more.
>>
>>25314965
My brother came up for a weekend, and we wanted to play vidya together, and since he didn't have any multiplayer games, we decided to go through TftBL since neither of us had played it. Before we even began, we made the choice of making our character as much of an asshole as we could. We made it about halfway through before changing our minds. I'll give you the ark of our character. Actual spoilers for the story.

Rhys is a Hyperion employee who is obsessed with Handsome Jack, and wants to be like him in every way he can. It played well into our decision to make him a complete asshole (also, he has some robotic parts in his body, e.g. one of his arms, an eye, and a jack in his head to plug stuff into). Rhys was completely self-centered, and his motivation for getting revenge on his boss and climbing the corporate ladder is what pushes him to set the story in motion. Rhys' boss, Vasquez is set to buy a vault key for 10 million dollars, and to get back at him, Rhys steals the money from Hyperion to make the deal before Vasquez does.
This whole time, Rhys treats his friends, and everyone else like shit. Just as stepping stones to get what he wants. He's a complete jerk, but lacks his role model's charm and charisma, so he comes across as completely unlikable. Part way through the story, Handsome Jack gets stuck in Rhys' head (really, it's a Handsome Jack AI that Rhys accidentally downloaded). Rhys starts seeing how messed up and sadistic Handsome Jack really is, and it's kind of a wake up call for Rhys. This, along with making new friends who show some semblance of loyalty to him make him start to question whether or not being like Jack is actually a good idea (and this is when we were starting to feel guilty about being massive assholes).
>>
>>25323349

All throughout the game, Jack offers help, and while being the morally questionable character, he's incredibly charming and likable, and his help is always presented as the most logically sound, and guaranteed to be successful, but with the risk of him backstabbing you, or having some consequence much later down the road. It created a lot of conflict for me and my brother to trust him, but we slowly weened ourselves away from him, and by the end of the story, Rhys was flat out rejecting Handsome Jack, refusing all his promises of power and wealth, which lead to Jack resorting to violence against Rhys to manipulate him.

So, all in all, it was nice to watch a character go from having a set of flaws that cause destruction, to him recognizing the error of his ways, but still being tempted to fall back into his ways at every step of the way (and sometimes giving in under immense pressure), to finally gathering the strength to fight against his temptations, and having the antagonist who's been the source of all these temptations go all out to get the protagonist to fall to his knees, only to see the protagonist stick to his guns and overcome his challenges and come out better than when he began. And even though I essentially had only a minute involvement in that process, it really opened my eyes to how to write an actual progression of a character.
>>
>Hello, I finished a story, and if someone has time, a critique on it would be appreciated.
>I'm a beginning writer, and I think it's about time someone looked at my writing and said,
>"Hey, stop doing that. That's wrong.
>But keep doing that. I thought you did that alright."
http://pastebin.com/UmJLt8U0

It's a little too long to post in the thread, and to be fair I did get feedback from some nice readers on it, but not really criticism, which I think I need.
>>
>>25324172
hmm ok
>>
>>25317338
Boogied out.
>>
>>25318778
Right away I can tell you are a phenomenal writer with the potential to be even greater, but your story was over saturated with unnecessary adjectives that did more to pad out the word count than add to scenes or the plot. Your vocabulary is obviously your strong suit, but sometimes a simpler word can be just as effective if not more so than a flowery one.

I also found the way you structured some sentences quite odd, examples being:
>"No movement came upon his bony mouth when the sound came forward."
>"pressed his white fingers on to each other until a loud cracking sound made itself known."
>"Fluttershy opened her mouth to scream, yet, no sound could be released"
just to name a few. I don't know if this has to do with passive voice or whatever, it would take a better writer than I to really diagnose what I find off with your writing, grammatically speaking. Or this is just a matter of personal writing style and I'm the weirdo here, who knows.

Your characterization of "The Creature" is all over the place. Compare
>"Sit still young one."
>"This future tells of a solitary existence of peace and tranquility"
with
>"Now, now, Don't freak out!
>"It was nice hanging with you, see ya soon"
There's a bit of dissonance here. Is The Creature an enigmatic cosmic being or a wise but casual old man?
>>
>>25325884
Also, the title of your story is "Death and Fluttershy," I don't see the point to not just calling him Death. Really rains on the stinger at the end, "I met with death." Fluttershy also seems to get over her apprehension of Death incarnate pretty quickly, one sentence to be exact. So, Death tells Flutters one of her friends will die, then she promptly hugs him. We are talking about the Fluttershy, correct?

In fact, I struggle to remember any of Fluttershy's lines. This isn't a case of a character actively engaging in a story, this is a story happening at this character You barely make use of her, which begs the question why use her in the first place when she can be swapped out with a cardboard cutout of Waldo and the story would stay largely the same.

From a story telling perspective, I suppose you're setting up this story for some serious drama, but since it's the first chapter, I won't get ahead of myself and make assumptions. I just hope you can bring something fresh and new to this ancient as fuck table.

Besides all the above, there's the occasional capitalization error, misplaced comma, and odd syntax. Also,
>""Don't worry yellow one, It might not even be me that fate has in store for whomever"
This sentence is weird as fuck.

Lastly, you left out best pony when Fluttershy was imagining her friends' deaths.
>>
Hey writefag thread. I would like to genuinely learn how to write stories. Give me real advice like how do I keep plot points consistent throughout the story without forgettinf about them.
>>
>>25326436
Writing a story is the easiest thing to do. Anyone can write a story.

Writing a /good/ story however, is what's hard. As for my advice on keeping plot points consistent, is to re-read your work as if you've never read it before. You'd have to put on the Detective hat for things that stick out and it doesn't hurt to get a second opinion. A fresh set of eyes that read your work can really help you find things that you'll inevitably gloss over.
You have to pay close attention to character choices, their behaviors, the world around them and what's happening in it. If you can manage to keep the situation realistic in said world, you won't raise any red flags or plot holes.

Also, stay away from Time traveling in writing stories.
>>
Hey /wfg/, how do I develop a voice in writing? My attempts at writing just lead to me writing in detail what is going on, and the style is dull and unexciting. The content is hit or miss, but my writing style is consistently boring.
>>
>>25326503
If you provide a sample of your writing, I might be able to see what you're on about.
>>
>>25326519
Here's the last thing I wrote, some clop greentext for that slave pony thread: http://pastebin.com/XFRwbiS7

Can provide some more stuff if you need something non-clop to judge.
>>
>>25326552
This link is just fine, I'm giving it a read right now.
>>
>>25326585
Thanks for taking the time to read through it, anon. Looking forward to your comments. Please be harsh and critical.
>>
>>25326834

Not a problem, but I'm going to focus more on how you can hope to develop a writing voice. I'm just now finishing the proofreading of my post.

As for your clop, my advice is try to remember to include all five senses, try to _feel_ the scene, take note of the minor details, reactions, cues, and try not to repeat the same terms for sex parts too much within the few lines.
Clop is damn hard to write, I've had a tough time writing it, so I get it.
>>
>>25326864

Right off the bat I see what you're getting at, everything here seems vague and in a rush.
You even referred to the slaves as "the blue one" and "the orange one". What you need is to give character to the surrounding and setting, and to the character's themselves.
We might all know the names of "the blue one" and "the orange one", but to at least have the slaves give their name's isn't too much to ask for, even for a clop-fic. Having them being referred to as such comes off to the reader that you're not putting in the effort to write an engaging story. It's impersonal and really shouldn't have gone on for as long as it did.

But, to be fair, I can see how such a thing could work if the character that calls them that is part of his personality.
"You, blue one, go do that thing I was telling you about earlier."
>"Ugh, I have a name you know. Would be too much to ask to remember it? I'm Rainbow Dash."
"I've got enough on my plate, any effort on my part to learn your name is a waste of brain space, now go do the thing."
>"Fucking. Asshole."
"Whatever you say Dash."
>"I thought you didn't know my name."
"I just deleted it. Now go do your job, damn."
Seriously, I'm going to have to experiment more with that, seems fun.
1/2
>>
>>25326878

What I suggest to you is to try painting the picture, you have to get personal with the setting and characters, but keep in mind to not go overboard with so much details it'll exhaust the reader and force them to say "GET TO THE POINT!"
Now, keeping sentences short and to the point is fine, but if you're looking for a voice, you have to make a conscious effort that a story should sound natural when spoken out loud. That there should be more color and flair in your writing that reflects who you are without drowning the audience in your ego. It could be how you hyperbolize something that irks you personally. A particular way how you describe things as if you want to tell a damn good joke.
In short, if you're trying to change your writing from dull and boring, take a few pointers from stand-up comedians. They make a living off telling a story from they lively use of language.
Keep in mind, you are the one telling the story, it doesn't matter the point of view, you'll inevitably has some kind opinion on a topic bleed into your work, and that's not a bad thing.
Take a break from writing from time to time, and read some books that are written in first person. Listen to talk radio. Something will resonate with you.

Now, with all that said, lurkers, don't be afraid to weigh in on the discussion, I think this Anon could use more than one opinion on this matter.
>>
>>25326878
I see what you mean about referring to them. I tried going towards a dehumanizing/deponying thing, but it looks like it came off repetitive and boring. The dialogue also adds a lot to the color, and I tried to work with a traumatized pony that didn't talk - how would I be able to make something like that work without it being utterly boring?

I like your example, and while that wasn't what I was going for, it's already a lot more interesting. A lot of my stories lack dialogue, and I think it might be because of my rushed pacing, and trying to get to the end too fast. I think my next ones will be more dialogue heavy, to get some practice in.

>>25326891
Do you have any tips on getting the right amount of detail and pacing? I've found myself on both extremes, either too many details or too few, but usually too few.

The comedian and talk radio tips are interesting, and something I haven't come across before. I'll definitely try it.

So, in short, more details, more personal, more personality.

Thanks so much for all your tips and comments, anon. I totally didn't expect as much.
>>
>>25327037
>I tried to work with a traumatized pony that didn't talk - how would I be able to make something like that work without it being utterly boring?

Right off the top of my head, I would have Anon ask if she had one, and if it was apparent the pony wouldn't speak, I would have Anon give her a name anyway.
Roughly along the lines off:

"So, what's your name?"
>"..."
>She shifts her weight back and forth while averting eye contact with you.
"You do have a name, right?"
>Her mouth opens to speak, only to fall silent, then looks at the ground. Her attention now on her left hoof that's drawing a circle on the floor.
>You straighten your back and cross your arms and take a moment to study her.
>Her dirty blond hair looks like it's seen better days.
>After uncrossing your arms, you snap your fingers.
"Alright, you're now Dirty Blond from now on. Got it?"
>A slight nod from her let's you know she understands.
"Good girl."

Something like that would've been find, it shows a little more interaction between the slave and the master.

>I tried going towards a dehumanizing/deponying thing, but it looks like it came off repetitive and boring.

While the idea isn't a bad idea in itself, that can do is try to work on character's expressing that attitude to let the reader know what kind of world they're in.

For example you could've had the slave trader explain why the was so dirt cheap. Calling her "damaged goods," or anything remotely degrading.

>Do you have any tips on getting the right amount of detail and pacing? I've found myself on both extremes, either too many details or too few, but usually too few.

They key is to cut out details that don't advance the story. You could describe what kind of wood the floors are made of, but that would be going too far. You need just enough to help the reader along, cut out any kind of redundancy.
The question you have to ask yourself is, "Is it really necessary for the reader to know this?" If not, cut it out.
1/2
>>
>>25327154
Oh jesus my spelling is all over the place, I'll have to fix that.

>, WHAT can do is try to work on character's expressing that attitude to let the reader know what kind of world they're in.

Anyway, like I was saying, there is no shame in using few details, that's fine. Except in clop, details are key in clop scenes, although if it's on the context of just a down right animalistic lust surge, a little less detail could convey the complete disregard for being fancy and romantic, and the utter need to get off.

And yes, seriously, look into talk radio, and stand up comedy, it really helps give you a grasp of how one could express themselves in verbal language.

Also, body language is just as important and can say twice as much than words. Facial expression, weight shifts, eye contact, touching and just about any kind of human reaction is just as important. To me, it's one of the best ways to have a character "Show, don't tell." Physical reactions provide a window of what one is thinking.

That being said, seriously, have fun with it. You might want to go to social events from time to time, pick up on how people react, and you'll get a better understanding of how to have characters act and their choice of words.

Glad I can help you.
>>
>>25327154
>>25327204
Thanks a lot! I'll keep these tips in mind and practice with them. You're awesome, man.
>>
File: 18btw.png (174KB, 386x331px) Image search: [Google]
18btw.png
174KB, 386x331px
>>25327294
Anytime fellow writefriend.

I'm putting on my trip so you could ask for me if you have any further questions.
>>
File: magic.png (70KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
magic.png
70KB, 320x320px
I have been a writefag, but mostly for the feels of it.
I think the following are my best stories.
http://pastebin.com/JRb3XDU3 Because it puts anon in actual emotional instability. I mean, you gotta have him cry sometime.

And http://pastebin.com/SVSCJXKg Because I acutally decided to make a random scenario into what a lot of Anons here hope will happen: That they find such good friends as the cast Because even in this dark world we all exist in, which slowly takes out lives every time we breathe, we all need a shred of hope just to smile and think about the uncertain future that appraoches. Or we just need magic.
Lots of magic.
>>
>>25318508
No complaints, just work and university to keep my mind occupied. I write when I can, though.

>>25322764
I know that feel.
>>
>>25325884
>>25325988
Well, alright, thanks for the info.
>>
Dumping story idea in case anyone got the drive to write.

>The Ponyville Shenanigang! A group led by the one and only Pinkie Pie with the intention of making everyday life in Ponyville more exciting and less dull outside of her usual party. Basically a compilation of short stories focusing on comedy because shenanigans.
>>
I've started into some creative writing as a release valve from technical writing (fuck thesis writing)

Wrote this off a prompt from /bug/.

http://pastebin.com/Yw5g1SEW

Comments on style and pacing welcome. I tried to finish it as a stand alone thing, because most further content I could think of was being silly little vignettes that would work better as maybe a webcomic format. Spelling is probably all over the place too.
>>
>>25331450
>>
>>25329077
that's a fun idea
>>
File: zEjHEW3.png (29KB, 754x510px) Image search: [Google]
zEjHEW3.png
29KB, 754x510px
Poll time
Which character do you see authors fumble the most? i.e. which are often written out of character?
>>
>>25324172
Now this is sizable. If you're comfortable waiting around, I can have a critique for you on Wednesday of next week.

>>25327421
What exactly are you looking for here? Do you want critique, or general impressions, or just to advertise your work?

>>25329961
I try to keep this a first-come first-serve paradigm as much as I can, but I can do your story tonight. I'll have my thoughts up before I go to bed.

>>25334801
I'm thinking Fluttershy. I see her dumbed down and silenced to the point where she's basically useless a lot, if the plot doesn't immediately shove her aside. I'm thinking a close second would be Dash; that brazen attitude often becomes simply tsundere or complete posturing.
>>
tossing around a few ideas, can't decide if i want to try and combine them or make a few separate stories.

>no anons involved

the first being a picture of that time quote with majora's mask. the "man alone fears time" thing. also a song i heard the other day and the extra pinkie ending from BFEQD.

the last two I think I could do, but I've been really trying to use first for a while but I couldn't decide.

also, anyone have any ideas? i just feel like writing.
>>
>>25334801
>That cap
Reminds me of the Gunnery Sergeant Anonymous in Equestria threads.
Those were good times.

>'she is a pure maiden'
>"CARE TO SAY THAT AGAIN, I DIDN'T QUITE HEAR YOU!"
Everytime, it like my sides don't belong to me anymore.
>>
>>25335093

If you can get to it, I would appreciate. It's been a... sadly long time since I've done much creative writing. Probably 8 years or so. Science pushes one to do lots of technical writing.
>>
>>25336076
So, your pacing is good. I have no complaints in that department. However, the style left a lot to be desired, and I’m wondering why you chose to end your piece where you did. As diverse as Anon in Equestria stories can be, they usually start with the same one of two things: Anon makes it to Equestria through either some convoluted or contrived circumstance, or the story just ignores the grueling exposition and hand-waves the premise. It seems to me that you’re trying for both.

You’ve got an extremely weak explanation for why Anon has wound up in colorful horse land, and it’s mixed with the very cavalier style of writing that I associate with the stories that choose to hand-wave it. It looks to me like that is what you’d prefer; the interaction between him and Chrysalis speeds along so much that I really got the impression that you were trying to blaze through the introductory stuff so that you can get to the more interesting middle part of the story, the vignettes you mentioned. At the same time, though, the exposition is so minimal that you’ve left a ton of room for the very interactions I think you’re trying to power through. For this reason, details like no one paying Anon much attention after the initial encounter, or Twilight somehow being too busy to study him, come across as extremely weird. There’s a reason that he got there, but all explanation dissolves when it’s time for the plot to kick in. In other words, his circumstances in Equestria are too convenient. All alone, edge of town, no ponies interested in him, despite what came before; it would be so much easier and smoother if you just headed the story with something like “after a month or two of living in Ponyville, Anon had adjusted to life with the ponies, and they him.” Bam. Premise made clear, no pretenses of hard explanation, and tons of room to play with your characters without worrying about a constrictive past. 1/?
>>
>>25337558
What all this means is that the story so far is just an overly quick beginning, where the characters are introduced to the audience and each other, and the plot is set up, but nothing actually takes place. As a beginning, it’s pretty good, minus a couple weird plot bits I’ll get to, but, as a whole piece, it’s just a tease. It’s enough to get the audience intrigued, but not enough to deliver anything they haven’t seen before.

So let’s get back to the idea of hand-waving the premise. The reason that doing that is acceptable with Anon in Equestria is that that genre takes up the vast majority of stories, and everyone knows how they start by now. I’m not saying that stories that do provide explanation are necessarily lesser, far from it, but you need to make that choice at the beginning, else you risk flip-flopping between a casual style, which is fine, and poor explanation, which is not. If you decide to provide a more substantive reason for why Anon is in Equestria, then you’re looking at a story with a slightly slower pace. If you decide, instead, to dismiss the explanation and just tell us what’s what up front, then you can very easily keep your zippy writing.

There are a few other problems, though. On line 106, I’m wondering why in the hell Chrysalis is even in Equestria. If she’s the queen of the changelings, and as powerful as she states, why is she not sending some kind of liaison after Anon? I know, I know, the story is about him and her, not him and some low-level drone, but there does need to be some explanation about her presence there. 2/?
>>
>>25337573
The question you should be asking now is: why do I need to explain Chrysalis’ presence, but not Anon’s? As I said, you can hand-wave an AiE premise because they’re so common, but anything beyond that needs explanation, almost without exception. Everything that follows from the starting point needs to be there for a reason, else you’ll look lazy, at best. Things like Chrysalis’ inexplicable presence are plot holes, where a hand-waved premise is a mere skipping of accepted drudgery. It is here that I should point out that hand-waving the premise is dangerous outside of plopping Anon in Equestria. If the premise is too complicated or unique, then dismissing it can be just as bad as leaving a plot hole in. This critique is not meant to be an argument for skipping the introduction.

There are two parts of your story where you switch over to Chrysalis’ perspective, and you do it so briefly that I found it unnecessary. The tiny insights into her mindset you gave me can be easily conveyed through further dialogue between her and Anon, and that would be done without distracting line breaks or subject parallaxes.

To address your concern on style, I’m not seeing anything here to differ from the standard humorously casual model. Anon refers to ponies by their meme names, never seems more than annoyed, and doesn’t show any firm convictions one way or another. He’s a perfect goofball everyman that countless humor writers have used before, and the only mote of intrigue I see in him is his potential alcoholism, which, so far, you’ve only used to establish how he wound up in an audience with Chrysalis. 3/4
>>
>>25337591
So, overall, this is a competent story that could lead to some funny encounters, but the differences in your tone and explanation style make it come across as threadbare and erratic. You need to straighten out how you serious you want it to be, and then work on fixing the minor plot holes of Chrysalis’ presence in Ponyville. Also, while there weren’t too many spelling issues, you do need to capitalize your sentences. Leaving them lowercase just makes the story look sloppy. 4/4
>>
>>25337077
>>
>>25335093
>Wednesday of next week
That's an awfully specific time, but yeah. Thank you.
>>
File: 1441564482934.png (112KB, 1080x562px) Image search: [Google]
1441564482934.png
112KB, 1080x562px
>>25326474
>Also, stay away from Time traveling in writing stories.
May I ask why?
>>
>>25338656
Involving that in any kind of story increases huge chances of a plot hole happening.

For an example, watch the TV series called "Misfits", you'll see.
Also, aren't we all a bit tired of Time Traveling Tropes anyway? I'm all for watching a good episode of Doctor Who, but that's different.
>>
>>25335093
I'll have to guess.... that I wan Critique?
I mean, I just want opinions. I honestly want to know what the other guys feel or think when I write these shitsack stories.
>>
>>25338721
Thanks. I was planning on making use of it in a story, but from what I can tell there is still ample room to reroute.

I'd rather go with something less... dangerous.
>>
>>25337558
>>25337573
>>25337591
>>25337596

Thank you kindly for your feedback.

I think some of the issues comes from a fear of working with canon characters with established personalities, and worrying about completely cocking them up. Its why I moved through some stuff so fast, and its one reason I stopped when I did.

As for chrysalis, yeah, I definitely could do a better job of coming up as to why she was there. I think I was trying to imply she has personal interests in particularly unique (possibly important) individuals, kind of how in ACW, she took the lead in the infiltration of Canterlot.

> but the differences in your tone and explanation style make it come across as threadbare and erratic.

I think this is what I am the most worried about. Trying to consolidate the technical, dry method I have to use while doing professional work, and more interesting prose that comes with creative writing. Thank you kindly for your comments. Its good to get feedback on that kind of stuff.
>>
Boomp
>>
>>25339236
Just keep at it! Practice makes... if not perfect, then improvement!
>>
Bumping for interest.... back in school we had to write stories about a specific thing teachers always said i had a talent for such things never really understood why though i wondered if i could atleast try to write about ponies
>>
>>25341926
I remember that sort of thing
>>
File: read books!.png (776KB, 3074x5000px) Image search: [Google]
read books!.png
776KB, 3074x5000px
>>
>>25343714
>>
>>25340766
Firing those out of a cannon?
>>
>>25338433
I try to be as specific as I can so that readers are never in the dark on when to expect results from me. I work forty hours a week, and have an active social life on the weekends, plus a gigantic story of my own that I work on every day, so critiques tend to come pretty slowly. I never want anyone to think that I've forgotten or dismissed them, nor do I want to allow myself to slack off by giving indeterminate targets.

>>25338730
If you wait until tomorrow, I will have the time to read both stories and formulate some opinions on them.

>>25339236
You're welcome. Professional writing can really hurt the creative process; that's a feel I know in a very minor way. Definitely keep practicing.
>>
>>25346914
>a gigantic story of my own
link?

also bump
>>
>>25347561
The effort of multiple years.
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/169736/the-center-is-missing
>>
>>25347756
47 chapters shiet man how long have you been writing that that's just impressive to say at least
>>
>>25313464
BUMP
>>
>>25347756
wow
>>
File: 1142691_large.jpg (1MB, 900x1164px) Image search: [Google]
1142691_large.jpg
1MB, 900x1164px
Are there any good ideas for a Christmas horror greentext any would like to share?
>>
File: 1446832596838.jpg (57KB, 567x561px) Image search: [Google]
1446832596838.jpg
57KB, 567x561px
Bump.
Also, hypotheritcal prompt:
What if an Anon was brought into the world to help fend off a dangerous returning evil only to figure out he was used by the very mare who had brought him over merely for his strength to ensure a stronghold on her kingdom? Or even worse,
What if his presence caused even more chaos?
I'm pretty sure there's gonna be some goodies coming out of those brains at some point.
>>
File: image.jpg (90KB, 618x667px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90KB, 618x667px
>>25314508
I was just about to ask in the Skype I'd i should revive the thread, having not checked the catalog in a few days. Wanted to give it a break since it died prematurely. Whelp, back to work!
>>
>>25352410
Isn't it kinda a thing like Submission is Mandatory?
>>
Aite /wfg/, I've wanted to do this for a long time, but didn't have the courage or some nice material to put here for you to read.

I've been writing green for like 2 years now, but last year under some unfortunate circumstances I stopped browsing 4chan until last month, and when I started on a short story for a small prompt-thread, I felt somethig was clearly wrong, but I just couldn't put my finger on it.

Writing and pleasing Anons has been my passion for 6 years, and with this I just can't bring myself to write another line.

Help a silly little Bumpfag, glorious Writefags.

http://pastebin.com/sJ5g9Dkd
If you seriously read it, ty <3
This is some of the longer greens I haven't finished, mostly because the original thread died and I couldn't find a place to move it to.
>>
>>25352410
Could be interesting.
>>
bemper?
>>
bamper?
>>
bomper?
>>
>>25353571
good luck
>>
>>25327421
All right, tea with Rarity. It's short and sweet, and I'll bet it got a ton of feels replies. The writing is solid, the language good. The idea is a tad generic, but I don't see a lot of people actually write it out more than your garden variety "she will never be real" posts, so that's okay.

You said in your post that you wanted to give Anon some emotional instability, but I'm not getting that impression in a very large way. He seems a bit off, but not really that bad. He has the capacity to feel hopeful without any external reason, and he knows how transitory, but potentially powerful, his imaginary buddies are. Seems like a regular dude with an active fantasy life to me. The story is still okay, but if you wanted Anon to seem kind of messed up, I think you missed the mark. I'm gonna read the dead Rarity in my home story now, and be right back with my thoughts on that.
>>
>>25327421
Ooookay, dead Rarity. Let's talk about edge.

I mean, it's a fucking edgy prompt, so this wasn't entirely your fault. All the artsy, sophomoric vocabulary and style got cloying pretty much immediately; it was like you were trying to turn this minor prompt into some kind of Proustian ode or something. The dialogue was also very stilted, what with Anon basically explaining his supposedly deep and hellish feelings in these cogent, well-reasoned paragraphs, and Rarity responding in kind. It felt more like two characters acting out a scene than actually talking to each other or experiencing the sadness that is supposed to be implicit in this kind of event.

The description was so brief that nothing stuck with me, but you also failed to add any real insights or new facets to the "tragic death of a friend" story. By the time Anon woke up from his dream, I was just like "oh, okay." No relief, no surprise, nothing. This is the kind of thing that benefits from being slowed the hell down, so you can linger with your character and properly explore the emotions, not just list them off in dialogue and move on.

I'm noticing you ended both stories the same way. The fantasy dissolves, and, in the light of day, everything is suddenly better. You need to watch out for that. It's already a pretty generic way to end a sad story, and if you're repeating yourself, then there's a problem. Why not try writing something a little longer for a prompt, so you can get some practice with something more substantial? That may make it easier to explore your writing abilities. Prompts like this are poisonous, because they appeal to the most superficial, surface-level expressions of extreme emotion, like those Humane Society commercials that show pictures of abused dogs.
>>
>>25357561

Well, I am attempting a fagging at this stuff: >>25348644

So needless to say, a longer prompt wouldn't hurt, But I feel I'll be missing some sort of critical key thing there

But I am trying to put ome decent feeling behind these stories and make it to the end without missing some key details.

>Generic ending.

That was kinda how I felt about that prompt. I mean, being diagnosed with sme serious CD never helps, and when you write, you just reflect, ya know? But I will try to change in order to provides some better fagging for this.

Thank you for your input.
>>
>>25357643
You're welcome, and you're right. The prompt was generic. It was generic as hell. You could still get a great story out of it, but the effort would be pretty huge.

I think a larger story might force you to slow down. That's my hope, anyway. Keeping an easier pace in a story allows for a lot more character development, which means feelings can come through much more easily.
>>
I'm trying to write a scene where one character is sick, so the second character is feeding him soup and tea, but I'm at a wall here.

I've been stuck for months on this point, because I just can't see how a unicorn would levitate a spoon of soup over to a sick person sitting on a chair. It should be easy to see, but I can't picture it.

It's NMM starting to show a more lovey-dovey side, still trying to play it off as her being tough and efficient. Those mannerisms are a bit of a challenge at the moment.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to approach it?
>>
>>25358249
Hmm, that's a puzzler
>>
>tfw start a story on fimfic
>it gets popular
>really popular
>featured and everything.
>keep writing.
>suddenly fuck it up.
>life also fucking up.
>cancel story and try to forget it ever happened.
>months later, wondering if I should return and finish it.

These are the worst feels. I hate artists/authors who are totally wishy-washy about canceling/finishing work and I promised myself I wouldn't be THAT GUY...
>>
>>25352410
Well, I probably won't write anything, but it did give me some thought as to how I would approach it.

I'd make it really tempting for Anon to continue on the path of destruction. I wouldn't make the act of being a warrior/conqueror enjoyable, but the admiration, the power, the sense purpose and status, and the image of being a hero, all get to his head. To keep what he's got, he'd go through stages of rationalizing his behavior.
>>
>>25358981
>writing a story in parts
>not just writing a full story and posting it bit by bit
>>
File: don't stop.jpg (110KB, 598x752px) Image search: [Google]
don't stop.jpg
110KB, 598x752px
>captcha: 404
Not today.
>>
Bumper
>>
Bumpster
Last one
>>
How to describe pirate ships?
>>
Eh.
>>
>>25362198
Booty calls.
>>
>>25360583

I was only just barely half-way finished and it had already hit over 80,000 words. That took me about a year and a half to write.
>>
>>25364813
I see
>>
>>25358249
You can't see it, meaning you can't visualize it, or you can't figure out how that scene would work for your character? If the latter, then it would be worthwhile to consider changing the scene. You might not have to, but having a tough time imagining it is sometimes a sign of it not fitting with the rest of your idea. If the former, maybe try imagining her first as an earth pony, using gross physical movements to feed the sick character, and, once you've got that, replace the physicality with magic.

If I wanted NMM to soften up slightly, I'd cut her dialogue by a large percentage whenever the other character is around, to make her actions seem a little more reluctant. When asked, she can be clipped and more acerbic than she usually is; the two of those things should show that she's uncomfortable for an unspecified reason, which is a good prelude to a character break like that.

>>25362198
Depends on a lot: what kind of ship it is; the setting it's in; whether it's friendly, antagonistic, benign, or menacing; what kind of crew it has; the characters viewing it. A basic description of how it looks and sounds is a good start, though. Webs of rigging draped from the creaking masts while winglike sails open to the air. The proud bowsprit with its maiden figurehead beneath, crowned with the large wheel and a grizzled/charming/whatever captain. You know, regular imagery.
>>
episode day!
>>
File: image.jpg (166KB, 1024x780px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
166KB, 1024x780px
>>
>>25368769
is she really tired
>>
File: image.jpg (129KB, 1007x794px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
129KB, 1007x794px
>>
File: Get to it nigga.gif (1MB, 350x313px) Image search: [Google]
Get to it nigga.gif
1MB, 350x313px
An inspirational gif I think?
>>
>>25370409
Y-yes, I should
>>
File: books.jpg (1015KB, 4500x5700px) Image search: [Google]
books.jpg
1015KB, 4500x5700px
>>
Slooooooooooow
Boogieeee~
>>
>>25313464
When you say "pre-written", do you mean the entire story should be completely done from start to finish?
>>
>>25374468

It's okay to posts chapters or parts of a story that you're looking for critique on, and entire story is fine too.
But making up a story on the fly is what we don't need. It takes up time that someone else could be getting help for.
>>
Bumpy
>>
>>25374512
Ah
>>
>>25374512
The thing is I'm in the midst of writing it now.
I know OP said you prefer to have posts instead of a pastebin, but I've already got quite a bit done. Although now that I've figured out where I actually want to go with the story, I'm trying to figure out a more efficient writing format.

I've been reading stories currently being worked on by FulLR3tarD and Strayanon. And while I try to follow their examples, I want to tell the story from a 3rd person perspective. Also there's no Anon character in my story, therefore I haven't been using any black text to differentiate who's saying what.

So I wind up following or preceding each piece of character dialogue with: he said, he told them, he explained, he continued, he went on, stuff like that. Naming the character who's speaking every time, to make sure the reader can't get confused about who's actually talking. And I'm really not happy with how repetitive that gets.

Any advice would be welcome. And if you'd like I can post the pastebin link.
>>
>>25378634
u shud
>>
File: READ A BOOK NIGGER.jpg (151KB, 894x894px) Image search: [Google]
READ A BOOK NIGGER.jpg
151KB, 894x894px
>>25378634
I had the same problem until I started reading other author's books.
Not pony fiction.
Actual books.

I examined what they did, and while he/she said was used, they also implied that someone said something by using a simple dialogue and not interupting the flow of dialogue, or having a person doing a small action before he speaks.

Sometimes, if you do your dialogue and characterization correctly, you can even tell who is speaking by how they say things, cutting down on the amount of speech tags you'll require.

Applejack examined Big Mac flowing the fields at their farm. "You're doing fine, sugarcube."
"Ah-yup."
"Just don't forget to turn left."
"Yup."
Applejack saw that Big Mac was soon heading for another rock. "No! Take the other left!"
"Make up your mind AJ- I mean- Ah-yuuuup."

Mind you, it's more difficult when there's more than two people, so speech tags are more necessary and you'll want to differentiate characters via dialogue more. I'm no expert on that, so I'll just advise you to steal what the best authors have to offer.
>>
>>25380154
http://pastebin.com/HDRN9TNr
Thanks in advance for your time.
>>
>>25381247
Also, I started out using a script format for the first couple posts.
That didn't go over very well, so I switched things up.
>>
>>25380660
On the shoulders of giants.
>>
Boop
>>
Goodnight
>>
>>25386067
Same.
>>
Bumps
>>
File: rainbow dash reads cupcakes.jpg (139KB, 750x784px) Image search: [Google]
rainbow dash reads cupcakes.jpg
139KB, 750x784px
>>
Gonna make my first attempt at converting a story for FIMFiction. It's typical human bangs pony smut, but I'm curious, do they care if you call the human character Anon or do they want you to have a name?
>>
>>25390214
Just put a trigger warning in the description.
>>
>>25390214
Are you going to post the link here? I want to see how shitty it is.
>>
>>25390380
I can post the raw pastebin version if you'd like.
>>
>>25390214
There isn't a rule that says you can't, just know that a lot of people are against hard self-insert humans in stories. Just doesn't sit right with a lot of people and I don't blame them. Makes the whole thing kind of sad because when Anon stays nameless, you can at least still think of him as a fictional character. Give him a name and we've got a guy/girl just straight up fantasizing about fucking the ponies and writing a story about that fantasy.
>>
>>25391207
Thanks. Just making sure. I didn't intend to name him at all, was making sure that was kosher over there.
>>
>>25390477
I'm interested in the "converted" version.
>>
>>25391353
Always this condescending?
>>
>>25391690
Didn't mean to be particularly, but eh.
>>
>>
>never written before
>make green for a thread when inspiration randomly hits
>getting positive feedback
>get 5 or 6 posts deep and it 404s
fuck
>>
>>25393562
Ain't THAT a bitch!
>>
>>25353571
Shit, I just realized no one responded to you about your story. If you're still around, I can critique yours after I've done >>25324172.
>>
>>25390380
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/299328/a-dozen-strawberries
There ya go
>>
>>25396533
>>>/trash/4755
>>
>>25396533
Heh, my bad. Didn't mean to quote your story there. Just using quick reply.
>>
bumps
>>
Hey little guys and big guys, do you wanna help me work on a new pony show? That means new places, new magic, new wildlife and new characters.
>>
>>25397808
Go on...
>>
>>25397808
A new pony show...?
>>
Can someone list the most famous writefags on /mlp/?
>>
>>25398987

Someone probably can.

But why?

>10
>>
Yeah not letting this thread die just yet.
>>
So I've finally learned how to keep my pacing consistent.
Step 1. Allocate only 500 to the beginning scene, go back and edit it till you get the desired length.
Step 2. Write your plot points in one piece so you don't forget them and ruin it with plot holes.
Step 3. Add extra execution scenes in between the plot points.
Step 4. Enjoy your well paced and well structured story.
>>
Bump. I'm looking for cutesy s1 luna stories.
>>
Is cosmic horror ok here or do you get shitty edgelord crackfics like that all the time?
>>
>>25398987
>fishing for recognition, the post.
>>
>>25403314
>>
>>25338433
Okay bud, tomorrow is the day that your critique comes. Let me know you're still here, so I know I'm not posting this thing for nothing.

>>25400899
Sounds like a pretty good structure. Nice.

>>25401755
We don't get shitty edge as much as you might expect. Go ahead and post it.
>>
>>25401755
I say go ahead and post it if you got it.

>do you get shitty edgelord crackfics like that all the time?

There was this one edgelord crackfic that can't be out done, I promise you we've seen worse.

I'm curious about this Cosmic horror
>>
>>25404317
>There was this one edgelord crackfic that can't be out done
You talking about the one with Dash and the meatgrinder topped with gratuitous sex?
>>
>>25404872
Yeah, I think it was a Simba x Dash thing with bloodplay.
>>
>>25404880
That story wasn't edgy, blood play makes sense if you know what a cats penis looks like, it's just our token "WHY!?" story. That and the anon who broke his pone mothers mind, convinced her she was a dog, and fucked her repeatedly. Both by the same guy, if I'm not mistaken. Any new guild mates must read these stories before they're allowed to join the group. Roxi said that Dash story was close, but still not Simba x Dash levels of "WHY!?".

Edgy or not, post the story. We're here to help, not be biased and reject because of the content of the story. Sure Roxi and I have our preferences between, but we still critique fairly.
>>
File: hampic4.jpg (29KB, 489x590px) Image search: [Google]
hampic4.jpg
29KB, 489x590px
>>25404316
Yeah I'm still here, I might not respond right away though. Thanks for doing this, from what I've read so far in the thread you seem to be damn good at this.
current mood: nervouscited
>>
I'm gonna bump.
But my deleting bumps limit is exhausted.
>>
I'm gonna bump again.

Good night.
>>
You stupid shit.
Just bump it.
Because I am asleep right now.
>>
File: 1429311515206.jpg (72KB, 600x582px) Image search: [Google]
1429311515206.jpg
72KB, 600x582px
Repost

An old Anon browsed /mlp/ one long and lonely night.
He had a tale that would endure but had no skill to write.
When on that page, a constant thread, about a writer's guild
Talking bout making threads, and how talents they build.

The others posted greentext and the tripfags did advise
The words were without malice and the Anons there were wise
A spark of motivation and the Anon posted there
Typing as fast he could, cuz he knew he had to share

Bump-ie aye aaaah
Bump-ie aye yoooh

Writefag's Guild, is home

The story's long, it's plot makes sense, it's a diamond in the rough.
The Anon puts in all his heart, but sadly not enough.
For the posts of those around him tell him words he cannot bear,
Tells him that his stories bad, But thanks him that she shared.

But one Anon gives wisdom and he makes the words hurt less
"When it comes to reading, the reader mustn't guess
Of who's the one that's talking, and to whom he replied"
And with those words of wisdom, the story did survive.

Bump-ie aye aaaah
Bump-ie aye yoooh

Writefag's Guild, is home
>>
>>25408767
nice repost
>>
>>25405622
you mean, this one?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Kppc0KZEL7aUG-qsNrGfi0QVAF0Ofcv8k8a04XHkpos/edit
>>
>>25405622
That is true, I'm not biased against any story. It's just that particular one stuck out in my mind.
>>
>>25405622
Wait wait, heres the full one.

Sorry. The other one>>25410418
wasn't complete.

Here it is.
http://pastebin.com/tSyrnZBu
>>
>>25404316
>>25404317
I'll post it in a while. I got a bit through it in a thread before the thread 404ed and I'm trying to finished it out and refine it a little. Just wanted to see if it was alright here before I put a ton of effort into it and then got shot down.

I have a serious problem with using the same word multiple times. I used the phrase "a bit" 4 times in this post before I rewrote it.
>>
>>25410833

Alright, we'll be here waiting for it. Also, we don't shoot down anyone here who sincerely are looking to improve.
>>
>>25406249
Sweet. I'm working on it now. Don't expect it soon, but it will be up before I go to bed.
>>
>>25406249
I’m seeing three main problems here, and they’re all compounding one another. Merely unraveling this story took some doing on my end.

It looks like you’re trying to write two stories at once for the majority of this. On one hand, we have a collection of goofy Fluttershy episodes with a more serious touch, which is a fine direction in which to take that whole idea. Showing a more realistic emotional response to Fluttershy’s psychotic obsession makes for some interesting character reading, and, on its own, it could have been a pretty good story. On the other hand, we have Anon developing an attraction to, and, later, trying for a serious relationship with, Lotus. To disastrously oversimplify this whole critique, you have a problem with disparity of tone; the tone you use for the Fluttershy sections does not mix well with the one you use in the Lotus sections.

Your use of flashback during his trip to the spa is good and effective. You don’t linger on any one thing too long, and, at the beginning, you’re writing Fluttershy’s fetishistic japes with a pretty cool hand. Once I hit lines 449-517 and 519-552, though, things got unprecedentedly strange, and I could tell that there was more than simple oddness going on. Fluttershy was going above and beyond to amplify the craziness, and, in the context of the flashbacks, that means that I got a double shot of insanity in the middle of Anon having a pleasant, if not somewhat anxious, time with his good spa buddy. At first, you were incorporating both parts of the story fairly well, but this extra absurdity threw the whole thing off, and the intense wavering between the serious and the wacky made this story impossible to read as one cohesive item. 1/?
>>
>>25413083
That was how it started. Before the plot had even really fully kicked in, before the first thousand lines had passed, the story was torn between two directions. When lines 984-993 came along, it was yet another move in tone, totally disrupting the weird Fluttershy stuff. I mean, I think it’s good that you have them start out as friends, but I question the placement of the friendly flashback. Up to this point, Fluttershy has been exclusively aggressive and psychotic with him, and it feels really weird for me to suddenly see her in this positive light. I think it would have worked better in reverse, that is, if you had started with the nice flashback and let me see how Anon’s relationship with Fluttershy soured over time.

This is around the point where things really started getting tangled up. On line 1121, I find Anon’s comment about looking forward to spending the rest of his life with her to be fairly contrived. Given the amount of completely normal praise that he gives her for helping him so much, I don’t see why he would choose to end it with what sounds like an assumption of marriage. That kind of statement would only come from some pretty heavy attraction, and I don’t think he was ever into her enough to warrant it. He may have been interested at times, but enough to want to spend his life with her? I don’t see that. The reason that this part is where things start getting trickier is because this is where the second major problem comes in, and that is the idea of the forced relationship.

You seem to understand that a relationship is often very messy, but your own story doesn’t reflect that. Yes, problems arise, and arise frequently, but that alone does not make for a mess. Anon’s relationship problems tend to crop up with impeccable timing, and resolve fairly rapidly, minus his Fluttershy thing, which is the third problem that I’m getting to. 2/
>>
>>25413120
Let’s start right at the beginning, with line 13: Aloe is dead. That was a hell of a bomb to drop on me right off the bat, but I’m not complaining; if you’re going to do something like that, do it early, I say. However, I then waited for around twenty-five hundred lines before that bit of information was mentioned again. I’m referring, specifically, to lines 2510-2681.

What this suggests to me is that you’re using Aloe’s death, not as a device to shape Lotus’ character and make for a more interesting story, but simply to get her out of the way for Anon to have a clear shot. To be clear, deciding to kill her off initially for that reason alone is perfectly acceptable, but you need to actually use that decision fully. I would think, given how much time we spend listening to Lotus’ and Anon’s conversation in the spa at the beginning, some more information about her dead sister would be a good idea, if for no other reason than to not leave us readers in the dark about this sudden plot point. Instead, though, you let it remain completely unused until you needed it for your serious talk about her past, and that’s not how it works in reality. If her sister’s death meant anything at all, it would not be something you could easily shunt to the side and store for further use, like a prop in a movie. 3/?
>>
>>25413145
The question you should now be asking is, how do you incorporate something like that more fully for a character, like Lotus, who has almost no canon character to build on? How do you make it clear that she’s the way she is because of her absent sister, and not because you just happened to choose those personality traits for her? Some of it would be simply stating small differences, like “Lotus grabs your hand gently, the gusto she had shown it in the past faded.” Things that invoke the passage of time, and its diminishing effects on a pony’s personality. Another trick that I sometimes use is to mention something that Lotus does right after you remind the audience of Aloe’s departure. So say Anon turns to his side and descries a little framed picture of Aloe through the open door to Lotus’ office, and, as he does so, Lotus’ massage pauses for her to stare into space. There’s nothing at all that says she’s doing that out of sadness; she could be just trying to remember whether she needs to pick something up from the store before heading home, but the use of those things together puts the idea of a connection in your head. That’s just two ideas; there are other ways you can incorporate the death more holistically. Or, you can just say “fuck it” and have Anon ask her about Aloe a whole bunch, if subtlety’s not your bag. 4/?
>>
>>25413177
So with Aloe quietly out of the way, the stage was already set suspiciously well for Anon to swoop in and find love on his first try. Once I hit line 1431, I knew that I was looking at something that was much too streamlined to be a realistic romance story. How in the world can you say that he loves her when he hasn’t even asked her on a date yet? I see the premature love a lot in my readings, and it always leads to the same thing: a writer doesn’t want to deal with the weird, indeterminate medium bits of a relationship beyond showing that they can be difficult. I think I know why, too. Relationships are not completely interesting. Their beginnings can be pretty cool, and characters getting their bearings is sometimes worth writing, but, after that, the only worthwhile thing in most authors’ minds is the Huge Problem that threatens it. All the interim is passed over, because all that is is a series of dates, get-togethers, banal conversations, and sex, with no real drama to speak of. The thing is, you still need to mention this stuff before you can start throwing the L word around, else it’ll look like you just got impatient to cut to the chase. If you waited until after your big flash-forward to start saying that Anon loves her, that would have been fine, but you show no restraint, and it makes his romantic arc look like yet another tawdry teenage love story. 5/
>>
>>25413205
It is, of course, here that I must back up and say that it’s perfectly okay for your character to use that word in dialogue, as long as you make it clear that the character’s and the author’s voice are different. If Anon says he loves her before asking her out, and Rarity and Fluttershy share an incredulous look, that’s fine; it then becomes immaturity in Anon, not a flaw in your writing.

Those things alone made the relationship aspect seem like it was rigidly predetermined from the get-go, but the sex (lines 1882-2191, roughly) drove that idea right the hell home. First of all, it was one of the most abrupt love-making sessions I’ve read. I could almost believe the kiss, though that was seriously pushing it, but when they broke immediately into plowing each other, I was caught really, really off guard. Remember, he hasn’t even asked her out yet, which means that their relationship has had no time to develop except for his weekly spa visits, which means that she has had ONLY that time to just so happen to develop the same feelings, with equal intensity, for him. That’s like hitting the lottery the one time you decide to spring for a ticket, and I wasn’t buying it, even after your flashback with the dead Aloe.

Are you following what I’m saying about the relationship aspects seeming forced so far? To recapitulate, we have Aloe being dead to give him easier access, the premature utterance of love from the author, and out-of-nowhere sex to seal the deal. The only difficulties Anon has had to deal with in regards to this relationship are from his own nerves and from the external force of Fluttershy. Don’t worry, I haven’t forgotten the bitch. 6/?
>>
>>25413220
Another issue I saw with the sex was that, from a tonal standpoint, it really didn’t gel all that well with either of the other two stories you were writing up to that point. First, standing out at a robust three hundred lines, this is the longest continuous passage I had at that time, which meant that it kind of steamrolled the more broken up flotsam of Fluttershy antics and serious character interaction. I had, until the banging, his insane pegasus friend and his nascent relationship with Lotus to worry about, so for you to hit me with this colossal bolus of sex in the middle just felt wrong. We had a bounce between semi-goofy fetish stuff and straight-faced talking, and then—BAM—porn. And yes, I would call that porn; you put too much love into your descriptions for it to be something different.

Lotus also decides that she loves him abnormally fast (around 2460), and I bet I know what you’re thinking: wait, you just told me it’s okay for a character to love someone early, ‘cause it’s their immaturity, not mine. Do you remember that little tip on pairing ideas that aren’t explicitly related, to make them seem that way for the reader? That’s what I think is happening here, because you’re hypothetically correct; there is nothing technically wrong with what Lotus expresses. However, coming on the heels of Anon’s incongruent love, it seems just too perfect for Lotus to be right there with him. It’s possible that she really is immature and loves him for no good reason at this time, but that doesn’t matter, because I’m already associating her feelings with Anon’s. The explicit precedent creates implicit resonances in the associated object. Now that’s a hell of a self-satisfied sentence. 7/?
>>
>>25413236
In that same area, with Lotus trying to figure out what has Anon in such pain, I thought it strange how direct she kept being in asking him to tell her, given all she says about being able to get ponies to let her heal them while thinking that they’re only being pampered. If she has a softer touch, then why am I not seeing it here? Moreover, on line 2507, she’s coming across as a little too one-note with this whole “healing process” thing. The way she codifies her feelings for him, all in the context of just wanting to make him feel better, it makes it seem like she thinks her only purpose of late has been to dab at his wounds. I know she takes her job seriously, but she’s also an individual, and there’s no way she’s got so little a sense of self that she lets others’ problems define her goals.

Later on, once their life has been pretty well established, you introduce the looming threat of infidelity. It would have been a fine move to make, if you had not resolved it so quickly and simply. I think Lotus’ accusation of him cheating on her is the most artificial of all the relationship pieces that I read, and the reason is somewhat complicated. She bases her claim on the fact that he’s always rushing to get the mail before she does, and, then, on the mailmare’s comments on their conversation at the door, before mentioning the other mares’ looks and his missing bits. However, the way she bursts forth with these hurt feelings makes it seem like her suspicion is something that came suddenly, which isn’t helped by the fact that it comes after not even a single in-story day of them being together. Remember, I haven’t read any of their interim, meaning that any steadily building pressure or stewing feelings are not going to be apparent to me. 8/?
>>
>>25413256
For that reason, Lotus’ claim, while having the appearance of coming suddenly, is based on facts that could only be gathered after a long period of time. Moreover, because I haven’t seen any of that happiness beforehand, this cheating concern does come at a time that is too exact, too perfect for the plot to make the relationship feel organic. Plus, Lotus didn’t seem like a suspicious pony to me before, so having her freak about this, now, was odd.

Let’s switch over to Fluttershy for now. I know that there have to be certain liberties taken with her personality for her to fit the Flutterrape model, so there are bound to be some problems when you try to import her into a more serious story—a good reason to avoid doing it in the first place. However, I think turning Fluttershy’s brain into what is, essentially, a light switch for most of the story was about the least elegant way you could have done it. On lines 1353-1374, you give me a misunderstanding that is tangential to the primary misunderstanding, and it stuck out at me. It took me a while to realize what the issue is. In a lot of places, but this universe especially, a hug is kind of a conclusion to itself. The fight resolves with a hug, or the argument ends with a hug, or the character stops feeling bad with a hug. Therefore, having Fluttershy up and hug him in the middle of his faux pas, only for the conversation to carry on like before, came across as kind of a false fulfillment. The gesture itself seems meaningful, but had no affect on the conversation. This is pointing at what I would shortly realize is Fluttershy’s hair-trigger sexual obsession, which, for a funny story, would be great, but is an apocalyptic mood-breaker for the serious edifice you’re constructing. The solution, in my mind, is to remove the hug, and make the confusion on which pony he’s in love with to be more understated. 9/?
>>
>>25413283
That is a fairly minor example, but the issue it connects to is not. Simply put, I think Fluttershy is too unintelligent and too flat. Up until the very end, her entire character seems to be built on this modular, on or off system, where she’s either trying to crawl across Anon’s dick or withering away with misery for not being able to do the former. I feel line 1455 illustrates this well, paradoxically: “I’m so glad I came back.” Anon hadn’t even left the room, and Fluttershy was falling apart, and for what reason? Is she so incapable of other feelings that she can’t even hold herself together for ten measly seconds? Line 1616 does this too. Never mind all the talking, explaining, and exchanging of feelings that came literally seconds before: as soon as he pops a boner, all of her insight into the situation is defenestrated, and she’s back to her old self. In the beginning of the story, it was just a switch in tones that bothered me, but, once you start having the Flutterrape collide with the Lotus relationship, Fluttershy’s personality itself turns into a constantly fluctuating soup of difficulties and dishonest attempts at change.

And then she pulls the freakin’ Stare on him. I had actually forgotten about it until you mentioned it, though I’m wondering why she never used it earlier. Desperate times, maybe? I actually did like that section, because it took her rapey personality to a logical conclusion, and with unavoidable implications for the characters. However, immediately after, I was left very wanting. Anon is so apologetic in this story, and I guess that’s okay. It’s a personality trait I hated, but it’s not a flaw, exactly. Line 1764, I think, is, but just a small one. You choose to have him say that even Fluttershy has gotten over the relationship, while Rarity is holding her back from trying to molest him a second time. 10/?
>>
>>25413301
That leads me to this: Anon may be apologetic, but why is everyone else so seemingly nonplussed by what Fluttershy is doing? Why is Twilight so comfortable using her magic for these creepy fetishes? Why is it that no one has questioned the weird bullshit they’ve surely seen her up to? Why is it that Rarity only expresses horror from surprise when Fluttershy starts mind-breaking him, and not any actual moral impetuses? She’s more shocked that Fluttershy is being assertive, and not that she’s using that assertiveness to take sexual advantage of the one and only alien life form on the planet. Does everyone else, like me, think her so stupid that she can’t be held responsible for her own actions? I phrased that in a tongue-in-cheek way, but, let me assure you, characters who refuse to acknowledge when someone else is acting out of character is one of the worst plot holes you can have, because it basically means that whatever’s happening in your story has little to no actual significance. If that’s the case, why tell it at all? Why bother? If Rarity, Twilight, Dash, and friends don’t care about what Fluttershy does, then why should I? The testimony of a single victim is not enough when we have a whole town full of un-offended witnesses.

So what I wind up wondering, by the end, is how in the world you justify Anon still calling her a friend. Forgiveness is one thing, but she had been systematically ruining his life for a long time now, and I need more than a prior friendship to explain why Anon is able to get over this with what seems like ease. All the anxiety and self-doubt that he shows Lotus, where is that when he’s talking to Fluttershy? She’s always breaking down, and he just swallows his own feelings to allow her to steal the show. I know he’s kind of a pussy; I get that from his interaction with Lotus. 11/?
>>
>>25413323
However, it takes a special kind of pussy to actively pursue friendship with his rapist, and I never got the impression that he was THAT messed up. She apologizes at the end, yes, but that’s only after it’s been established that they’re friends, so there has to be some other reason he’s still comfortable with her.

I’m going to hit on some details now, and then we’re through. On line 999, why does Celestia have lit candles in the afternoon? Are there no windows? On line 1421, I actually really liked this metaphor. It stood out as particularly sensitive and descriptive. On lines 1820-1822, I don’t think you need to reiterate his excitement at the fact that she was thinking about him. Before he got caught up with Fluttershy and Rarity, Lotus said she wanted to hear that question later, and I think the reader probably remembers that. On line 1958, how do you know how he’s making Lotus feel so specifically? Then, on lines 2012-2019, in the middle of their screwing, why did you add this aside? I think it would be better if you had moved it to some after-conversation.

On line 2206, I think you can afford to settle down. You don’t wax poetic on ordinary objects anywhere else in this story, so having you make a little paragraph on the bowl of water stuck out. On line 2992, you have them walk into the sunset, despite that Anon just woke up. I think you mean sunrise, no? On lines 3064-3084, among others I didn’t note, I’m noticing that it’s taking Anon forever to actually start opening up about his problems. That got kind of tiresome after a while. With your grammar, you need to stop putting a comma before the mention of names. For instance, on line 1282, you say “You’re suggesting that, Fluttershy—”; a comma doesn’t go there in that context. 12/13
>>
>>25413348
If you’re mentioning the character, but not addressing them, there’s no comma before the name. Lastly, I didn’t really care for the loose structure of some of your dialogue. Having some verbatim pieces broken by summaries of what was said made the dialogue feel sort of chunky and awkward. A little is okay, but you had it way too much.

So, overall, between Fluttershy being an estrogen-powered rape machine and Anon and Lotus have been predetermined by fate to fall in love, this story was a medusa head of problems springing from a pair of good ideas. I liked the ending, and I thought that the final line was pretty strong, but it was small consolation after all the mismatched tones and plot devices that came before. Your use of flashbacks was good, especially when talking about Lotus’ filial loss, and the Flutterrape segments, on their own, were fine. It’s just that nothing combined the way I think you were hoping. My recommendation operates on the premise that you want it to remain serious, since that is the way it ended. If that’s the case, then you’ll need to make Fluttershy less of a dumb tool for conflict, and find a way to rationalize her incredible attraction better. You’ll want to either move the sex or lead up to it more carefully, so it doesn’t just arbitrarily happen. I’d like to end this on saying that this is the first serious AnonXLotus story, and that had me pretty excited. The spa twins are personal favorites of mine. 13/13
>>
What a haul that was. I have to get to sleep. Peace out, thread.
>>
>>25413386
Sleep tight little guy. I'll keep an eye on the thread.
>>
File: 1937_1107_kkat_brick_500.jpg (33KB, 420x144px) Image search: [Google]
1937_1107_kkat_brick_500.jpg
33KB, 420x144px
>>25413361
Well we both wrote more than one thousand words, but here's a picture anyway. I think it sums up some feelings.

I don't know if you'll be disappointed, but I don't really have a lot to say. I think it would mostly just be excuses and the like, and that's just a waste of time. I don't really want to go back and edit this anymore than I already did, I'd rather just cut my losses and move on to a new story.

I have one last question, and I don't know if this is unorthodox, but I was wondering if I could put this critique in my pastebin. There were a couple people who liked this story, and I'd really feel bad if they decided to write and repeated my mistakes. I'd of course give you writing credits.

Anyway, I'm going to read this over and over and over again, and then probably again, so I can make sure I understand everything. Thanks a ton for all your hard work on this. If I ever post another completed story here, hopefully you will be able to tell that it wasn't in vain.
>>25413386
Good night.
>>
>>25410503
Yep, that's the Simba one alright. Mandatory read if you want to join and critique with the guild. "Officially" critique that is, like being in the Skype group and such.
>>
>>25413726
>>25413726
can I join the skype group?
>>
>>25413525
>I don't really want to go back and edit this anymore than I already did, I'd rather just cut my losses and move on to a new story.
This.

>>25413747
Sorry, kid, but they didn't even accept Fapples in their group of elitists.
>>
>>25414027
We actually intended on inviting him months ago
>>
Double Bump
>>
>>25414579
what happen
>>
>>25416651
Somebody set up us the bomb.
>>
>>25416651
>>25416710
Easy now, The Collective are watching.
>>
File: Discord Wizard.png (513KB, 632x757px) Image search: [Google]
Discord Wizard.png
513KB, 632x757px
>>25416763
Are they? Good, because I have some kinks to be showed.

>>25414579
Wait, was I? What? Waht?! Where, when, how?
I clearly remember that some Anon has refused that privilage to me just like >>25414027 said...

Hmm...
>>
File: Octavia Facial TFTG.jpg (228KB, 1200x694px) Image search: [Google]
Octavia Facial TFTG.jpg
228KB, 1200x694px
... OP, might want to check that MEGA link out. It is dead as a doornail.

Moving on to more relevant things, I am going to drop two old stories and a little brainstorming secession I dd in TFTG.

One is of the blatant self insert variety, written in a time of alienation. The other, superior one is a slightly unorthodox shipping between Applejack and Spitfire.

The last is a brainstorming prompt of a kind.

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/56247/of-olden-times-long-past-an-introverts-perspective

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/83612/farming-in-the-icy-inferno

Oh, and an old bonus of the Conversion Bureau variety, a little twist on the shipping between Vinyl Scratch and Octavia.

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/62292/the-conversion-bureau-losing-grip-on-humanity

Currently canceled, but I am tinkering with the idea of playing around with reviving it in a new form.

The brainstorming is archived here. https://desustorage.org/mlp/thread/25203720/#q25277196

I want it to be scrutinized and torn to shreds at the slightest error made. Suggestions on how to improve it would be nice as well.

One more thing. The here is the older version of the Octavia TFTG clopper story that the brainstorm in question as for. https://desustorage.org/mlp/thread/25080280/#q25138859 I have since made additional modifications to the story based on some of the suggestions provided in that thread. Updated version currently here. https://www.fimfiction.net/story/299697/test-story-1

Password is October.

>Note: I am aware that I am breaking the "one story at a time rule" in a way. In this case, I advise you to take out the AppleFire story as your sole priority. The rest is optional if you prefer.
>>
>>25417031
ah
>>
Is depression a good time to write?
>>
>>25413525
You're very welcome. I'm not certain I've been asked that before, but yes, you absolutely may put my critique in your pastebin. Good luck with your future writing; you're always welcome back here.

>>25417031
Spitfire and Applejack, huh? So, since we're right next to the weekend, there will be a bit of a delay in my critique, but, if you're okay with waiting for it, I can have it up by Wednesday of next week.

>>25420861
Can be, if that's what gets your creativity going. It can pretty easily lead to self-insertion, though, so be careful.
>>
>>25421585

Bit of a long wait. But that is fine.

Just post it to the fanfic link as well so I actually get wind of it. I might miss the thread.
>>
>>25422018
I lead a pretty active life, so my deliveries tend to come slowly. Plus, as you can see from what I posted last night, I have a good amount of content to create in these things. I don't like the idea of plastering my huge critique on your story, so how about I ping you with a comment when it's ready here?
>>
>>25422063
That is fine.

Either that or you can PM me.

Both would be nice if possible.

Take your time if need be.
>>
>>25423035
>>
>>25423769
>>
>>25422063
Roxi, you still have other people to help you. I'm thinking of taking this one. Log into Skype, man.
>>
I save this thread for the last time, fags.

Invite me to the damn chat.
>>
>>25425842
not in?
>>
>>25426683
I'd like to be invited to the skype chat.

My name is Skitzo in skype name.
>>
Emergency Bump.
>>
Bumper
>>
>>25426683
Never been allowed.
>>
>>25431721
>>
Baaaamp
>>
Why is it we never see poetry or limericks on /mlp/? I feel we need writefags for this.
>>
>>25434510
It would be nice to see.
>>
>>25434573
I'm halfway tempted to do it, but it's been so long since I did any poetry I'm afraid it'd be edgy as fuck.
And that's the EXACT opposite thing I want.
>>
>>25434598
Only one way to find out, I say go for it. No harm in being a little edgy.
>>
>>25434510
Poetry is for faggots
>>
>>25434736
Oh yeah, and you'll get shit like this.
>>
>>25434654
Well, fuck it. You brought this upon /mlp/.

>As the sun rises once again,
>Bringing in the newest day.
>I'll never forget my pain.
>As I look upon the children as they play.

>Fillies and Foals, frolicking happily.
>As I turn towards the blade,
>Which I smote the queen with, reluctantly.
>And memories flash, like the edge of a spade.

>She desired love,
>She desired care,
>And shining like a dove,
>My sword did what I had not dare.

>Reluctance as I see her blood drip,
>And fear as I watch life fade.
>On the sword, engraved on the grip,
>"Give your soul to the priest before the end of days."

>So I stand here once again,
>Day after day with that lie,
>It'll spill before my life's end.
>And I know it'll cause me to die.

>Treason and treachery will ensue,
>And I'll stand tall.
>"That soul belongs her, and not you."
>And only after, I know I'll fall.

>She's standing behind me as I think,
>And knowing I spared her out of my heart.
>Where did I go wrong, and where did my ship sink?
>I never was wrong, because I'm only human, fully, not part.

>A queen amongst a hive,
>Somepony I'll never forget,
>And Chrysalis is already mine,
>Even when I saw her fret.

>She won my heart, and now my will.
>As I will never run,
>I'll let her know she's mine, if fate be ill,
>As I shall prepare for whatever may come.

>"I love you," Two words shared by us,
>As I can see through each disguise.
>And shared feelings from dawn to dusk,
>For each and every accusation I don't surmise.

>"My Chrysalis, My Dear,"
>I said once before.
>"I want you to run, have no fear."
>"I don't want you to join me in death and gore,"

>"For I shall be by your side,"
>"Forevermore."
>"And I regret nothing, as I will subside,"
>"I've had you by my side, just once more."

>I expected death,
>And royal gaurds charged,
>As she escaped like a thief with wealth,
>And I was left, bleeding and barred.

>>
>>25434876
/mlp/ will not be prepared for this and I love it.
>>
>"Death take me, for I fear not,"
>"But let my dear carry on,"
>"For Canto shall never be of my plot,"
>"And I shall take my death, with my name as Anon!"

>I shout these words into the cold air,
>And await nightfall for my end,
>I can see my blade away as it shine with dare.
>"My Friend, my soldier," It read on the blade's bend.

>And as I hung at the bars,
>Aching and starving,
>A thief in the night smashed through like cars,
>And I couldn't see, at least anything appalling.

>And now I sit here, servant to the queen,
>My dearest, my love,
>In pain I lean.
>And I watch from the distance of the cove.

>The fillies play and frolic once again,
>And I sit with my dear,
>Saved as a man who faced his end,
>I share not one drop of my fear.

>For the love is true, even for a spy.
>And I proclaim soundly my love,
>"I shall love you until I die,"
>And she looks at me like a wounded dove,

>"I shall forever embrace you the same,"
>She replies, sweetly in the end.
>And she places my hand upon her mane,
>"My lover, my soldier, my friend."

>>
File: 1447086907257.gif (1MB, 550x400px) Image search: [Google]
1447086907257.gif
1MB, 550x400px
Also, for all who don't know of my faggotry, Canto was actually a type of poetry done in song. Noted from The Divine Comedy (Dante's Inferno, the Inferno, and many other names in translation.) But this horrid faggot is done,
And for the end of this, I move on.

And I have stolen "My Friend, My soldier," from my sword, which had it engraved in either latin or spanish. I can't remember, but it's my favorite. I also stole "Give your soul to the priest" from it. Yes, I'm a faget. Kill me.
>>
File: This is where your thread goes.jpg (116KB, 1516x892px) Image search: [Google]
This is where your thread goes.jpg
116KB, 1516x892px
>>25434995
Youfuckingsuck.png.
>>
>>25435087
Oh quit hatin'. Why don't you go to /trash/ and fap to some clop, calm your ass down a notch.
>>
File: IMG_06112015_194433.png (789KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_06112015_194433.png
789KB, 1366x768px
>>25435437
Writer here, I honestly do think it's trash.
Seems edgier than fuck, I mean, I myself ask how can you defend my work?
>>
>>25435474
I'm defending the fact you had the balls to post it man.
>>
File: ballsoffeel.jpg (40KB, 389x399px) Image search: [Google]
ballsoffeel.jpg
40KB, 389x399px
>>25435515
.-. It's complete faggotry bruh.
As soon as I posted it my balls went up to my ribcage, never to descend again.
Kinda like a comet.
>>
>>25435537
Yeah, but I don't see anyone else stepping up to the plate.
>>
File: 1447494674836s.jpg (10KB, 248x249px) Image search: [Google]
1447494674836s.jpg
10KB, 248x249px
>>25435552
Because they POSSIBLY CANNOT have more autism than me. No one really can.
>>
>>25435569
Why do you degrade yourself like this Anon?
>>
>>25435585
I'm an autistic horsefucker, what else did you expect?
>>
>>25435597
I already knew that much, hell, I'm an autistic horsefucker, we all are, but you're so quick to put yourself down, are you trying to beat someone to the punch?
>>
>>25435662
Indeed.
If I do it, I won't have to be told I'm a faget. I already know I am one. It's all a part of the elaborate scheme of being a writefag with some drive.
>>
File: Mastermind Grin.jpg (32KB, 313x470px) Image search: [Google]
Mastermind Grin.jpg
32KB, 313x470px
>>25435675
I'm a fan of elaborate schemes. Carry on writefag, carry on
>>
File: 1446759012811.jpg (15KB, 299x396px) Image search: [Google]
1446759012811.jpg
15KB, 299x396px
>>25435713
You don't get to know. So take orf, and find a better place to research it, Meine freunde.
>>
File: 1400238212289.jpg (8KB, 250x221px) Image search: [Google]
1400238212289.jpg
8KB, 250x221px
>>25435726
Very well then...
>>
File: der.jpg (11KB, 250x241px) Image search: [Google]
der.jpg
11KB, 250x241px
>>25435749
Yes, it is. We can wait this out and i Can post more faggoty emo poems on another thread or here, possibly, or you and I can just shitpost these images back and forth. Take your pick.
>>
File: 1444484956185.jpg (15KB, 275x275px) Image search: [Google]
1444484956185.jpg
15KB, 275x275px
>>25435775
I say both would be quite fun. This thread could use a little activity.
>>
File: 1446831907415.jpg (29KB, 748x748px) Image search: [Google]
1446831907415.jpg
29KB, 748x748px
Then so be it, Mr. >>25435915
So be it...
>>
File: 1402006921257.jpg (17KB, 399x276px) Image search: [Google]
1402006921257.jpg
17KB, 399x276px
>>25435940
No poem?
>>
>>25435972
Depends if the shitstorm stops. Until then, let's have https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxsOXOPni0o Playing until we find a good time or run out of shit.
>>
>>25435984
I was thinking of something more along the lines of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtSd0Yvw4lY

Are you sure want to play this game, John?
>>
File: mcfucked.jpg (4KB, 117x125px) Image search: [Google]
mcfucked.jpg
4KB, 117x125px
>>25436029
I am truly sure, and I challenge you to a shitpost battle until a writefag appears!
Begin! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2KcpAz7bRM
>>
File: 1425571956831.jpg (24KB, 369x434px) Image search: [Google]
1425571956831.jpg
24KB, 369x434px
>>25436054
Not one for flinching I see.
Have at you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeoXV5-x_Cw
>>
File: 1447444153247.jpg (4KB, 151x172px) Image search: [Google]
1447444153247.jpg
4KB, 151x172px
>>25436077

I dare not flinch, I have nae reason to flinch!
I am a true shitposter!
Begone, plebian, for you witness the birth of a god!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQwQnEfbh0U
>>
File: 1447465380167.png (286KB, 535x573px) Image search: [Google]
1447465380167.png
286KB, 535x573px
>>25436100
Gods are meant to be slain, not worshipped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXX7dRULFaE
>>
File: mlfw4671-twilightmov.png (370KB, 1250x947px) Image search: [Google]
mlfw4671-twilightmov.png
370KB, 1250x947px
>>25436129
You imbecile, Gods are meant to oversee and proclaim dominance!
I am not giving up my title so easily!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMFCM0SKbnY

I AM A GOD!
AN UBERMENSCH!
I AM THE TOP SHITPOSTER HERE,
AND YOU WILL NOT BE REMOVING ME FROM MY THRONE!
May Moot have mercy on your anus, because I will not when I finish!
>>
File: 1414607197566.jpg (34KB, 602x602px) Image search: [Google]
1414607197566.jpg
34KB, 602x602px
>>25436154
Is that so?
Moot can't save you now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tVTEyuCKn4
>>
File: dongtrooper.jpg (45KB, 267x395px) Image search: [Google]
dongtrooper.jpg
45KB, 267x395px
>>25436196
He thinks he can do that? Ohhh, poor Anon, he thinks he's tough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuizMqRsTpY

Buddy,
You messed with the wrong man, mothafucka.
>>
File: 1444873652726.png (53KB, 168x187px) Image search: [Google]
1444873652726.png
53KB, 168x187px
>>25436211
Man? I thought you were a God. You didn't trip down the steps from your 'throne' did you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV2IkSpRPtU
>>
File: 1447516386653.png (324KB, 385x494px) Image search: [Google]
1447516386653.png
324KB, 385x494px
>>25436245

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmGFCWuLgTs

Title's are nothin',
Let's finish this.
>>
File: 1436768630593.jpg (43KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1436768630593.jpg
43KB, 500x375px
>>25436254

>Titles are nothing.
Says the guy who isn't giving up his easily.

Just like a mortal, holding onto worthless things til their last breath.

Adorable.

Allow me to give you a grammar lesson since this is a critique thread for the writefags.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahA9S-f2Vlg
>>
File: kekarot.png (654KB, 680x510px) Image search: [Google]
kekarot.png
654KB, 680x510px
>>25436287
Fucking.

Great.

I retire now, only kekking myself to death.
Enjoy your little shitpost spree. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU6NpKQbWVI
I'm going to go retrieve my lungs from Valhalla now, if you'll excuse me.
>>
>>25436308
This was fun Anon. You focus on recovering in Vallhalla
>>
File: 1447430535551.jpg (39KB, 585x398px) Image search: [Google]
1447430535551.jpg
39KB, 585x398px
>>25436308
>>
>>25436129
What anime is that from?
>>
... I feel like i have to do a poem now since I just shat up this thread.
>>
File: ADI.jpg (52KB, 469x500px) Image search: [Google]
ADI.jpg
52KB, 469x500px
>>25436370
JUST
>>25436369
Monogatari series, be warned, there's an actual order to watch the series in, I would suggest viewing it in its Broadcast order.
I believe the broadcast order is
Bakemonogatari
Nisemonogatari
Nekomonogatari
Monogatari second season
Hanamonogatari
Tsukimonogatari
>>
>>25436420
That's based Anon.
Now go back to /a/
>>
>>25434876
>>25434956
It's beautiful.
>>
File: 801.jpg (28KB, 494x557px) Image search: [Google]
801.jpg
28KB, 494x557px
>>25436595
It's shit.
>>
File: HA HA!.png (323KB, 606x340px) Image search: [Google]
HA HA!.png
323KB, 606x340px
>>25436660
Good joke.
>>
>>25436741
Pootis.
>>
File: YEAH!.png (351KB, 606x337px) Image search: [Google]
YEAH!.png
351KB, 606x337px
>>25436752
>>
>>25436741
It is pretty shit though.
>>
>>25436818
The joke or my writing?
Because I agree on both.
>>
>>25436818
>>25436829
Ok, you fags.

If you say so, I will try to sing this 'shit', because I find it kinda cute in a bard-like singing/story telling way. But I can't do that today, because of the late hour (22:22) and some family drama right now. It will be a shitty try, but a try nevertheless.
>>
>>25436853
Ahem, good luck actually singing that hunka shit because I worded is specifically to be untouchable in that manner.
You try that,
You're humiliating yourself in the horsefucker board, anon.
It won't end well, I promise you.
>>
File: All of my why.jpg (27KB, 320x319px) Image search: [Google]
All of my why.jpg
27KB, 320x319px
>>25436907
>Anon.
Ayy Lmao.

I'm gonna try though. Only two places are visibly hard... But if it will have to take more work and time than 30 minutes and 4 cringes then I will pass.
>>
>Sings shit poem in a bards style with his shit name and now we will all have to hear shitty poem done in song.
God dammit, Fap.
You just fucking rekt this place.
>>
Bump save.
>>
Bump for songfag that should return.
>>
File: 1447094796286.jpg (503KB, 1000x735px) Image search: [Google]
1447094796286.jpg
503KB, 1000x735px
>>25436956
You bitch, get back here and do it.
>>
File: I came.png (113KB, 297x275px) Image search: [Google]
I came.png
113KB, 297x275px
>>25437521
I said I can't now! It's 23:33 here.
I will do that tommorow!
I promise!
>>
File: mlfw5715-12257.gif (222KB, 380x280px) Image search: [Google]
mlfw5715-12257.gif
222KB, 380x280px
>>25437548
THIS THREAD WILL DIE TOMORROW! The whole damn time you and I and that edgy poet and shitposter spend away, the closer this thread comes to meeting with it's grim end of ending!
We cannot allow this!
>>
Saved from P8.
>>
Save
>>
File: ultrafeels.jpg (379KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
ultrafeels.jpg
379KB, 800x600px
Can't keep this up forever guys. Need sleep.
Please, don't let this die.
I'm counting on you.
>>
>>25434876
>>25434956

Someone fukken save this shit.
>>
>>25439072
Counting, you say
>>
>>25434876
>"I love you," Two words shared by us,
>I love you
>Two words

Anyways...
>Her hair flew the gentle Breese
>As I ate some stanky cheese
>the night stars sparkle in her eyes
>And now I'm thinking of the fries
>The pale moon shines upon her fur
>Now I'm thinking about her
>About her dancing through the night
>Verily, an awesome sight
>Alas my vision fades again
>Hunger pangs are not my friends
>Half-eaten sandwich I spot nearby
>I stealthily move forth like a spy
>And as I gaze upon the meal
>Springs forth another memory reel
>Her effervescent flowing hair
>I eat now without a care
>I chew a piece and swallow down
>She smiles now from somber frown
>The sandwich tastes of hay wheat
>Turning now and facing me
>Swallowing the crumby crust
>She turns to me and says she must
>An empty tray I trot away
>Go forth and make the night a day
>>
>>25439084
can't you?
>>
>>25440939
>>
>>25436287
Can we get that youtube link in the OP please? It's very informative.
>>
>>25442574
maybe
>>
File: 177.png (58KB, 500x471px) Image search: [Google]
177.png
58KB, 500x471px
Bamp.
>>
>>25443510
>>
>>25443510
>>
>>25443510
>>
>>25444416
>>25444891
>>25445520
>>
Can't sing when my family is nearby.

For fucks sake, everything in the universe want it to be harder than it should be!
>>
>>25446647
Whip out your wang and start running towards them, scaring them off in the process while you sing in a shrek-like tone. That'll make em run.
>>
>>25446676
I wish I could, but they could kill me.

I will do that when no one be around. I need to focus and not to be heard by not-fellow-horsefuckers.

Life is like a shit.
>>
>>25446787
It stinks. Kinda like my autism level.
>>
File: a bird.jpg (825KB, 1494x2656px) Image search: [Google]
a bird.jpg
825KB, 1494x2656px
>>25446822
And it's pretty toxic... kinda cancerous, people say.

Anyway, it's stupid for me to be awake since I cannot do what I promissed I will.

So I head to bed, wake up, and try to find a moment in loneliness and then record that stuff.

A 'sorry' bird for you, fellows.
>>
>>25446903
Welp, I ain't savin' the thread again. I'm more or less up for hunting around some more shit.
Goodbye, my fellow horsefuckers.
If anon does that thing, maybe the original writefag may come back and check that out before it is erased from earth forever.
>>
>>25446994
Just...
Give us a single chance...
>>
>>25447416
This
>>
What makes a popular writefag popular? Is it the skill or the subject matter?

I know this is incredibly petty, but what is it about their stories that make them so well received?
>>
save. from p9
>>
>>25450261
>>
>>25451941
>>
>>25448947
What makes him popular is writing in active threads.
I've seen some mediocre green get ridiculous praise, but that's because Anons around here are easy to please, and are in threads where people want a story in the thinly veiled writing prompt thread.

Now, as for other threads that are well established in the board, I've seen a writefag throw down some serious green, we're talking 40+ posts of his story, and he'll get one or two replies, maybe more than that, and he'll be popular with that thread, but won't be popular elsewhere.

It's all in how you market yourself, and it helps a shit ton if you've got some skills in writing. You can be a local favorite in a thread, and pretty much have a nice cozy home.
Or, you can just write good green for prompt threads, either one will get you a little popularity, heck if you do both you'll make a name for yourself on this board.
>>
>>25453328
I'm not really looking to be popular. I've been doing this on and off for about three years now, but it would be nice to write a green that blows my audience away and gets put in the hall of horsefame. It's why I've been coming here every chance I get to get stuff critiquted, even if it's a five post work I shat out in a single sitting.
>>
File: Lind. L. Terror.png (374KB, 667x375px) Image search: [Google]
Lind. L. Terror.png
374KB, 667x375px
>>25453407
Alrighty, well glad we can help however we can, Anon.
>>
>>25453407
What have you written?
>>
File: 1437790933906.jpg (44KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
1437790933906.jpg
44KB, 540x960px
>>25453328
>>25453430
Get outta here with them filenames, kek.
>>
File: Yeah, but... that's stupid.gif (1024KB, 500x275px) Image search: [Google]
Yeah, but... that's stupid.gif
1024KB, 500x275px
>>25453497
I don't wanna, I didn't make an L folder for nothing!
Which reminds me, I need to rewatch Deathnote again to get more L reactions
>>
>>25448947
>What makes a popular writefag popular? Is it the skill or the subject matter?
Timing. Skill and subject matter are both necessary but you need to see a dry spot and water it with your green. You can become a star with sub-par green if its something nobody else has done.
>>
>>25453588
This as well, thanks for adding that in.
>>
I'm not exactly a beginning writer but I'm not a hotshot or even someone of note, so here goes...

Yo, I'm writing a kinda slice of life/drama thing for the first time. My usual shtick is dark/comedy, so my stories are generally very fast paced, short paragraphs, lot of arguing, cutting each other off, etc.

I would like any criticism at all, I know there has to be at least one grammar mistake per chapter, but what I'm specifically asking is for someone to take a peek at the first chapter, or how many ever they feel like, and tell me how they feel the pace of the story moves.

Chapter are posted although the story isn't, so you shouldn't need a password to get in. I'd post it here, but I'm not exactly sure what I would cut and paste to see if I'm doing it right, ya know?

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/262986/in-the-end-i-survived

Thanks in advance.
>>
I'd like some criticism on a prompt green I wrote recently.

http://pastebin.com/vw7WyT83
(it's the first one)

I feel like my prose is too terse, but have no idea as to how to go about remedying it without making it read like a string of boring descriptions.
>>
>>25453431
Not a terrible amount. I think my most popular pieces would be Sunset Shimmer and the Spring Fling, A night at the Bar (AnonxGleaming Shield), and Anon of Arabia.
>>
burp
>>
fart
>>
File: 1413163925561.gif (482KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1413163925561.gif
482KB, 400x300px
>>25455945
>>25456630

Ya nasty.
>>
>>25456956
>>
File: neighpoleon bonerfart.jpg (51KB, 421x640px) Image search: [Google]
neighpoleon bonerfart.jpg
51KB, 421x640px
>>25456956
>>
>>25459163
(|====3 BONER
3~ FART
>>
>>25454055
Read, I'll try to get a critique to you real soon.
>>
>>25453685
I see
>>
>>25453685
I'm doing another story right now, but I see you. If yours hasn't been addressed by the time I've finished my current project, you'll be next.

>>25446903
I like that bird.
>>
>>25446903
boyd
>>
Shoulda' post' this here.
>>25463303

Couldn't find it.
No rush. I'll come looking for comments some time tomorrow.
Unfinished thing in TCB multiverse.
>>
I am terribly sorry, but my life situation has changed, and I have no chance to record anything or even to regulary visit this place because of that.

>>25463333
Nice quadra kill.
>>
>>25463729
You're trying to worm your way out of this aren't you?
>>
File: FOE_golfclap-pip.gif (300KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
FOE_golfclap-pip.gif
300KB, 600x600px
>>25463729
>quadrakill

You're saying mine is the non-comment will collapse the heavens?

Although I do believe that's my first ever quad get.
>>
>>25463729
what happen
>>
>>25463333
> shoulda posted this here
> that thread is autosaging now

So, for those that think they can help me, here's the half-written document:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uwnfgwqz549zxvt/NaNoWriMo_2015-pegacorn.pdf?dl=0

What, in particular I'd like, is suggestions to rewrite it so the wanton sex doesn't have to happen for the reader to understand why code majeste is a real threat to Celestia.

Also be warned: heavy on the TCB+AU headcannon. Batponies, griffons, they're all floating in the fringes waiting to be more fully explained because it's nominally important.

Except George. He's front and center, not nominal.

smaller favor: what's a good name for a griffon from about two to four thousand years ago? We know they all start with 'g' ...
>>
File: Discord.jpg (411KB, 973x733px) Image search: [Google]
Discord.jpg
411KB, 973x733px
No slipping into the abyss while I'm eating my dinner, please.

Have a chaotic-evil bump, if you will.
>>
File: 35996641_p0.jpg (129KB, 768x768px) Image search: [Google]
35996641_p0.jpg
129KB, 768x768px
I don't know if I should ask here or in the fim-fic general, but it's more asking for help for writing through references (though, if anyone has other advice, would be good too!).

Basically, wondering if any of you guys have any advice beyond the explanation of anatomies in the second post for writing clop. I try and it just seems... so stiff or technical or bad and just get rid of it. So wondering if any of you might have stories that you thought did it really well or just general advice on the subject.
>>
>>25469715
Nothing handy, but the principle of the thing, is that sex is very intimate, and very sensual and emotional.

It's good to know the anatomy when you're crossing species ... but how are the partners emotionally responding to what the other is doing?

...with a caveat to stay in 'show' and reduce the use of 'tell' -- Show the accelerated heart rate, the hot breath on their neck, feel the tongue brush, delve, taste deeply.

We don't just want to know she's winking 'back there' ... we want to _feel_ her spasms as she's pressed against our exposed flesh.
>>
File: image.jpg (199KB, 850x850px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
199KB, 850x850px
>>25469715
What anon above me said.

As far as stories to read, I reccomend visiting the Flutterrape thread. There is less clop than you'd think, but what is there is pretty good. Take a few notes from them and you should be dandy.
>>
File: large.png (528KB, 1280x713px) Image search: [Google]
large.png
528KB, 1280x713px
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any story ideas to share? Thank you
>>
>>25464515
It's both hard and very unlucky that my possibilities of doing anything /mlp/ related has been changed recently. I wish I could have it done, but I lack in time or will right now, and I am afraid, I will be not able to do it in the closest future.

>>25464990
Welp. I don't know, maybe. Good for you!

>>25466401
Life happened. I have to find a job, and to find a job very quickly, otherwise I shall move from my polandballs land to the UK.

Fuck shit.

>>25471340
This.
>>
>>25470189
>>25471340

Thanks for the tips; will also check out the thread.

>>25472018

Hope you can find a job soon, dude!
>>
>>25469715
I've written over a million words of clop, and like posting anon on 4chan (that's enough for some to know who I am)

Anon >>25470189 is absolutely correct, and rightly points out the need to connect emotionally with events, offering vignettes of how you'd connect with a feeling.

What he doesn't supply, however, is the motivation.

If you want to write clop that engages and matters (and clop that's not engaging is useless, isn't it?) then you must write tiny character arcs with it, motivation and intention and something changing and resolution. Do that, and the clop takes you on a journey and it's more exciting.

It's simple but effective. Remember, most clop involves more than one pony, so you have two characters and their intentions/expectations don't necessarily match. You establish where they start from and what they expect (even if it's different things), walk 'em through the experience, and keep the reader aware of how each pony feels and how their intentions change.

It can vary throughout the scene, too. One very cloppy trope is to have a pony (not necessarily the stallion!) get caught up in things and lose control, going wild and catching/not catching themselves before they do something rash. I had Vampire Fluttershy, balled in vampony form, pleasured so intensely her mind shorted out and she came within an instant of sensuously biting her partner (and turning him to a thrall, as a sexy vampony would instinctively do at the height of passion). And she caught herself, but was all shook up and ended up cuddled in the afterglow by her unknowing stallion who'd almost been killed by her. Her feelings were very intense: that one stuck with her for a while. This Fluttershy was/is fiercely committed to not acting as an evil predatory vampony, but the instincts run deep.

Tell little stories with the clop, and it won't get old.
>>
Oh shit
Nugget and a biscuit
>>
>>25471340

Flutterrape? I never would have thought they would be the ones to write something of decent quality. Then again, the Princess Applejack threads started out in life as a pure shitpost tier bait thread, yet somehow the Anons here managed to turn it into a grandiose overarching story of the greatest proportions.

But I have a similar problem as the Anon here. >>25469715

>>25472118
>If you want to write clop that engages and matters (and clop that's not engaging is useless, isn't it?) then you must write tiny character arcs with it, motivation and intention and something changing and resolution. Do that, and the clop takes you on a journey and it's more exciting.

>It's simple but effective. Remember, most clop involves more than one pony, so you have two characters and their intentions/expectations don't necessarily match. You establish where they start from and what they expect (even if it's different things), walk 'em through the experience, and keep the reader aware of how each pony feels and how their intentions change.

Aye. The difficult part for me is writing the lead up to that point. Just feels... Boring to be honest. Can't think of anything half elaborate or simple that would suffice. Or even the process of going about creating it even.
>>
>>25366801
>You can't see it, meaning you can't visualize it, or you can't figure out how that scene would work for your character?

Speaking of which... What are the methods the Anon use in this thread to visualize and describe things in detail without sounding redundant and/or dull?

How do you gain your "mental image" as it were? To form details and memorize forms? Environments? The like?

Now, that question done with, I am going to be posting a little green I did a while back in Anonfilly.
>>
>First one inbound.

https://archive.moe/mlp/thread/24241722/#24473770
Thu 27 Aug 2015
Fuck it, let's do this.

-------------

You are Anon, a former human recently turned mare. After a recent fiasco involving the resident purple princess forcing you into an experiment out of petty vengeance, you found yourself in the body of a pony. Specifically, an earth mare who was currently sitting under a tree near the local school in Ponyville. It was currently Summer time, which meant that there wasn't a soul to be had for miles around.

To be honest, you felt oddly nonchalant about the issue. You've adapted to your body well enough to be able to move, but other than that, you had no idea what to do in this form. Well, perhaps bang some random stallion or mare due to slight peaks of arousal, but it wasn't enough to get you riled up to pursue them. Fantasizing however, was a different story. Even so, your fantasies didn't completely involve getting rutted and impregnated by dashing stallions. Rather the more romantic elements of love and what not. Hey, you were a sucker for such things. But what no one knew didn't hurt you. So hey, there was that.

You stared at the clouds that flew lazily overhead. You smiled, giggling at the strange sensation of joy you received as you saw the fluffy clouds. You almost felt like frolicking in the fields. You got up and dashed towards a small patch of dandelions and other flowers, rolling around with reckless abandon. As soon as it came, your high was spent. You collapsed on the field of flowers, staring upwards into the sky.

A sigh left your lips.

>You know, being a mare ain't half bad. Even if it was a little boring at first. Ah, such the simple joys of life.
>>
>I forgot to mention in the first post. Trigger warning with Anon turned Femepone with colt Rumble. Sick basterd I know. However I do want to know if I performed well in capturing both emotional content and physical description. Skip at your lesuire if this ain't your cup of tea. I'll post a notification at the end of it.

---

Out of the corner of your eye however, you spotted something and froze.

>Oh crap buckets.

Near right next to you laid a small pegasus colt. You figured he must have been concealed by the field of flowers to have not been seen up until now. That wasn't what worried you however. The colt himself barely even lifted his head to acknowledge your presence, only sniffing before shifting his head back to face forward from his body. You didn't know why, but your heart went out to the little colt. An urge to help him seized at your heartstrings. Damnit. You didn't know how or why, but you were going to help this little guy. You trotted up and laid down next to the colt.

>Hey, what's going on with you?

The colt did not respond for a moment, only to hiccup moments later.

"I... I don't feel like I want to live at the moment. I-... I've been a terrible colt. A- a useless runt that c-can't even fly. Just waiting to die I guess."

You recoiled. Jesus, what the fuck happened to make such a cute little colt so depressed that he would want to die?
>>
You scooted up next to him and scooped him with your forelegs, not caring about whatever the hell you were doing before. You didn't know why you were acting more impulsively than usual, or why you even wanted to help, but your heart urged you to help this little one regardless.

>Hey now, what makes you say that?

The little colt looked up at you, tears rolling down his eyes.

"M-my father recently disowned me from the family. H-he-he said he didn't want such a disgraceful runt in the family. I-I only wanted to make him p-proud, but I couldn't even do that."
>>
>I was wrong, it was actually the TF general. My mistake.
---

You felt shock, then anger course through your veins. How dare such a stallion treat their own kin that way. You didn't know what you were going to do, except you were going to find this worthless excuse for a bastard father and give him a piece of your mind. But you had other matters to worry about, namely the fact about what to do with this colt. You didn't even know who he was, let alone how to care for the poor thing.

The colt began to bawl, snuggling his head into your barrel. You embraced the little colt, shooshing him while rubbing his back with your hooves. You honestly didn't know what to do in this situation other than what came instinctually to you. Must be some motherly instinct of yours. You also don't know why you felt attracted to this colt. Correction, you felt like you wanted to be this little guy's big sister. Fantasies flew through your head. You flushed, feeling shame seep into your soul. You honestly didn't feel that wrong about it, but would it be right to take advantage of this little colt?

>Shhhh, little one. I am here. Could you tell me your name?

"Ru-Rumble. But I don't know why you would want to even associate with a stupid colt lik- Mmmph!?"

In the heat of the moment, you smashed your muzzle against his, taking him into a passionate kiss. Hormones shot throughout your body as you felt estrogen build up arousal within you. A combination of motherly instincts coupled with that of your arousal brought you to bring your tongue to explore his, powerless to resist you at first. Rumble resisted, but slowly gave way as he moaned in pleasure. You stroked his mane sensually, wanting to bring this colt up from his downer, by any means necessary.
>>
>>24472826
>>24488852
>I... I must to nurture this young colt. He... He needs me. I can't let him go back. Not alone. Not in despair. Not to that sick basterd.

You thought. Yet you were here, kissing the young pegasus who is what, half your age? There was certainly some lines being crossed here, both moral and legal to boot. But damnit, at this point you didn't care. Your lips slowly left that of Rumble's as he stared back at you aghast.

>Heh. So this form was suppose to be a way of punishment for acting snippy around the purple plothole. Well, I guess this turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

You noticed to your amusement that both of Rumble's wings were erect and high. A smile found its way to your lips.

>"Did you like that little one?"

"Y-yes. But I don't know if I should though. " Rumble mumbled, looking flustered. You noticed his cheeks turned a bright red hue. He looked so adorable that your heart soared.

Not a few days before you were a normal human male in the prime of their time. Yet now... You honestly questioned if you even wanted to go back to that form. You were empty then, yet now you felt oddly fulfilled.

Your eyes closed momentarily, a sigh leaving your lips. You would have time to dwell on the ramifications later, of which you were certain some negatives were to be had along the way. For now, you pulled Rumble into your waiting lap.

>"Don't worry about that Rumble. You are safe now. Oh, the name is... Safe Haven by the way."

That name would do for now. You would tell the little colt about your true identity later. For now however, he needed some tender loving care from a caring figure.
>>
>>24488852

He nodded, sniffing as you pulled so that he laid on your barrel, back first. Both his wings were splayed out in a haphazard fashion, with some of his feathers ruffled and/or damaged to such a degree that they would no doubt hinder his ability to fly.

This simply would not do. Not at all. Your muzzle move over the left wing and began to preen. You honestly didn't know what the hell you were doing, but you were confident you could at least spruce little Rumble's wings up, if only a little. You grunted as you pulled out a loose shaft in the pummel of the wing and spat it out, Rumble flinching slightly with a groan.

"O-oh... That feels good Miss Haven. Thank you. But you don't-"

You shushed him with a hoof.

>"Young colt, I do not want to hear a single word about you not needing this. Just relax and enjoy the experience."

The two of you sat together in the field for an hour in silence, with you continuing the slow, painstaking process of preening Rumble's wings. Some of those feathers were a bitch to both straighten and/or pull out, especially so that you didn't hurt the little pegasus. But oddly it felt satisfying to you. If you were a human male like before, you doubted you would have gotten the satisfaction you have now. For some reason, you felt more... Fulfilled. Yet again with that line of thinking.

You knew that psychologically speaking, your personality did change at least somewhat. Not all that drastically to the point where personality death would occur, as your own cynical sense of humor and otherwise logical line of thinking were still intact. If anything, it would appear that your change had magnified your more benevolent, empathetic side. Must had something to do with hormones or jazz like that.

You only knew a few passing tidbits of biology in general and ended up sucking when trying to absorb all those small details. Too painfully dull to try and memorize all those little details. Here though, you felt relaxed.
>>
>>24533263

You looked at Rumble as he laid on your body, having since snoozed off. He was a very cute colt, handsome even. If only he were older you would want to be ravaged by such a stud.

You groaned, feeling your marehood becoming wet with arousal. Your cheeks flushed in embarrassment. Honestly, why were you attracted to such a young colt? He wasn't of age yet, but even still you couldn't help but flash at the sight of his stallionhood being milked of its seed from his respectable length. Be it either orally or vaginally.

This was an awkward situation. This simply would not do. Slowly, you shifted Rumble off your body, careful not to wake him while he slept. As the moment passed, you gazed upon his body and felt further... Something. You couldn't put a name to the emotion you were feeling right now. Something like shame but with arousal and wanting. You were sure there was a name to it, but it was on the tip of your damned tongue like many other words as usual.

You shook your head. A hoof found its way to your marehood. You recoiled as the sensitivity of your new organ made itself known as you nearly fell flat on your back.

>Damn... I didn't know ponies were so sensitive... Or is it just me?

You shuddered, and began a slow trek towards a nearby tree. You had to be quick about this. You didn't want to taint Rumble's innocence this early. He was just a colt for Pete sake!

>Wait, don't mares have the ability to orgasm multiple times? Shiiiiiit.

You stopped. You couldn't clop here. You could literally smell your arousal permeate the air. What would happen if you walked into town like this? You knew early on from experience that ponies seemed to have a slightly heighten sense of smell, at least when compared to humans. You didn't want to leave Rumble alone, but if you walked into town while smelling of a mare being in some form of heat...

>... I would be fucked in more ways than one. And definitely not in the kinky BSDM manner.
>>
>>24533416

You let out a frustrated groan, collapsing to the ground as you buried your muzzle into the dirt, clutching your hooves as you felt your arousal begin to mount. How the fuck did ponies even deal with this!? The heat in your womb was nearly unbearable at this point. Why, why was this happening? This arousal was more intense than almost anything you felt before. You knew that both mares and stallions tended to segregate from each other for the expressed purpose of not fucking during this period, but you didn't know the reason of how bad it felt for the opposing party until now.

You couldn't help shove a hoof into your wet pussy, gasping as you felt a pulse of pure electric pleasure shoot through your spine. You brought said hoof to your muzzle, inhaling its intoxicating aroma. You licked it, savoring the taste of bittersweet marejuice on your tongue. It tasted... Like watermelons shockingly enough. Guess those rumors about marejuice being tasty was actually a thing.

By now, your teats were rock hard at this point. A slight brush of your hoof against them caused you to shudder yet again as your vagina winked. You shutted your eyes, your imagination going into overdrive as all sorts of images of mares and stallions like dominated your vision, fucking your brain senseless in all sorts of kinky ways. I really need to study horse anatomy and how the sex work.

Oh gods. You REALLY wanted to be milked right now too. No, you wanted a little foal suckling on your teats. You wanted one between your legs enjoying the life giving substance that you had to offer. You could practically feel ghost lips wrap around one of your teats, your brain emitting dophimine as a reward for such stimuli.

Didn't females become addicted to this sensation? You knew that women would when breast feeding, but for mares?
>>
>>24533548

>Fuuuuuuck. I would kill to have a dildo right about now.

You blinked your eyes open as you heard the grass rustle nearby.

Then a loud, unmistakable gasp filled the air. A chill went down your spine. You slowly turned your head to face the direction of the sound and paled.

>"R-Rumble!?"

Indeed, staring back in similar shock was Rumble. His jaw was open, unhinged as he stared at your lewd display eyes wide. Both his wings were erect, and they weren't the only thing.

>Oh shit why did this happen what do I do how do I solve this!?

All sorts of emotions, from shock, arousal, fear, anxiety raced through your heart. Yet even then, only a dent was made in your arousal. You stood up in panic, yet only to stand there. What the hell were you going to do now? Your eyes fell toward the bottom of Rumble's body, his erection clear for all to see. It was bigger than you thought. While you were flattered by this, you also felt anxiety fill your being.

"M-Mi-Miss Haven, were you um... Masturbating?"

Shit. Cat was out of the bag now. Might as well be honest.

>"... Yes. I was Rumble. I am sorry you had to see this. I just feel... So horny right now."

You collapsed to your knees, panting. Rumble walked up to you, coming uncomfortably close. You could see his blush as he stared at you.

"We-well... I think it was actually very hot."

>What.

Rumble kicked the ground, cheeks red. Was he as flustered as you were? Oh God, what if he was? But was that really a bad thing?

I am thinking of making a Rumble an early teen here. Maybe. Not quite a foal, not quite an adult.
>>
>Notice: The clop begins at around this point. Again, skip this portion if you wish.

---

>>24533727

"I... Well, I saw you got up and wondered where you were going. At first I thought you were going to leave me, but then you just stopped short of that tree and collapsed. I then thought you were injured and was about to help you when... Well..."

He didn't need to say anything more. For a moment, both of you sat there in silence.

"I could help you with your heat!" He bluttered.

Big What. Okay, you had to stop this here before things escalated.

>"No, that won't be needed Rum-Mmmght!?"

He kissed you. No, IS kissing you. Before you could even think of responding, he pushed you down to the ground flat on your back and laid himself on top of your body. You could feel his shaft rubbing between your teats, and the heat emanating from both it and his testes. His tongue danced in your muzzle, you being powerless to resist as Rumble grabbed your head with both his forehooves.

You were completely overwhelmed with intoxication at this point, instinct overriding rational thought as the sole desire of being dominated by this colt filled your mind. Your forelegs bended in on themselves as Rumble pulled out of the kiss and began to lick at your neck.

>"A-AH! Ru-Rumble, think about this for a moment. We could bo-both get into really big trouble for this..."

He looked up at you, lust in his eyes.

"I don't care. Neither do you. I want this, and more importantly, I know you want this."

>"We don't even know each ot-" You were silenced as the colt shooshed you with a hoof. Helplessly, you were flipped over onto to your stomach. Rumble shoved his cock right in front of your muzzle. The aroma immediately sent you salivating. It bumped your lips. Then the pegasus shoved it inside your mouth, which opened up to let it in. Rumble began to fuck your mouth, shoving in and out at a steady pace. You could already taste precum on your tongue.
>>
>>24533912

You left all pretense of resistance out the window and began to embrace the experience. You freely moaned as you felt the texture of his cock between your teeth, chewing it experimentally. Rumble moaned in unison with your own. Forehooves grappled your head and began to shove it so that the cock went deeper into your mouth. He was throatfucking you at this point. His balls deep into your equine muzzle, perfectly suited for engulfing this wonderful shaft.

You wanted to be this little stallion's mare. Rumble's balls began to pulsate, his cock pulling back. You almost began to protest until his seed hit your tongue. Rumble's essence filled your mouth to the brim, the full taste of his scent causing you to swallow eagerly. You did not let a single drop escape you. Which wasn't too hard, all things considering, though he did fill your mouth enough that your cheeks would have bulged. Slowly, Rumble began to pull out, both of you panting as you both stared at each other.

Before you could even reply, a scream erupted from your lips as you found Rumble's muzzle latched on to one of your teats.

>"Augh, don't stop Rumble... Make... Me... Your mare."

Liquid drizzle out of the teat Rumble was suckling on surprisingly enough. He sucked for a few seconds before pulling back. You stared at him in disbelief. Why would he sto-

Another scream left you as his muzzle dove right into your pussy. You were nothing but a shuddering mess to this little colt. No way was he innocent. He was too good at this. Just as you were about to peak however, he pulled back. A whiny left your muzzle as you looked at him beggingly.

He stared back at you with a sultry smirk.

>"R-Rumble... Please FUCK me already! I-I want to be yours."
>>
>>24534046

"As you command my mistress."

You shuddered in anticipation as his cock lined up with your marehood. Then without warning he speared you.

A scream louder than the ones before rippled through the air. His hooves seized your mane and pulled, shoving his muzzle into a slutty kiss as he began to fuck you in earnest. Your vagina pulsated, massaging his rock hard shaft.

You orgasmed immediately. Then again. Then again.

Your thoughts were pure emotion at this point.

There was no doubt about it. You wanted foals. Many, many foals. You wanted to be a mother. You wanted to have a husband. You wanted to be the little spoon. You found someone.

Rumble's fucking began to intensify for a few, brief seconds, before his balls heaved. A screech from both you and Rumble rippled through the land as both you orgasmed as his seed hit your cervix. He shoved into you with all his might, the tip breaching the cervix. Your womb was flooded with warm, gooey liquid as millions of sperm swam into your body.

Slowly, Rumble pulled out. You and him were gasping in exhaustion, though completely satisfied. Rumble collapsed on top of you, gazing into your eyes with that of a loving spouse. Sleep took both of you quicker than expected.

____

Notice: Green ends here. Not much to look at, but I guess it is somewhat passable.
What I want to know is if I achieved a decent visual and emotional connection and sensation.
>>
>>25472412
Here's my process of deciding how to describe something
>What am I talking about?
>What knowledge does my audience already have?
>What information do I NEED to give them?
>How do I communicate this in a way that is both clear and interesting?
Usually, when I'm describing stuff, I only give important, relevant information that will come back later, or give information to hint at a larger idea, like if something is old, or fancy, or beautiful, or whatever. If you think about the purpose of your description, it might be easier to figure out what you really need to say.
>>
post your favorite generals to lurk/post in

>princess applejack
>nightly scilight
>dazzlings
>>
>>25473326
MLP plays and here.
>>
Have a page ten bump with content. At work, we have a test-file to prove automated synchronization happens. Here's what I wrote in it, one week:
||
Brony poetry this time around
pony stories will abound
singing about mares that astound

Ponify everything to the ground.
fanfiction is an expression of love
also bad writing technique
Some editor, send help from above!
make readable these stories, be they joyous or bleak!

crossovers, shipping, grimdark!
slice of life and rule sixty three
Stories obtuse, stories stark!
Every genre is tasty to me.

Vastly overpowered alicorns,
defeating their tiny challenges.
lending itself to pr0ns,
using limbs of single phalanges.

and of the poor earth pony?
everything by teeth, buck, or hoof.
all that work excludes the phony!
but the working class can be uncouth
>>
>>25474402
I just realized I misplaced a newline.

Should be singing [...]astound / Ponify [...] ground
<BR>

Fanfiction is an expression ...

but whatcha gonna do? Aside from bump a little early because hope springs eternal
>>
File: wizard.png (910KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
wizard.png
910KB, 1000x1000px
>>25472382
>Aye. The difficult part for me is writing the lead up to that point. Just feels... Boring to be honest. Can't think of anything half elaborate or simple that would suffice. Or even the process of going about creating it even.
Try this for size. It should give you some ideas and a framework to get you started.
It worked for me.
http://www.helpingwritersbecomeauthors.com/write-character-arcs/
>>
Maybe if I break it down into smaller pieces someone will acknowledge looking at my TCB-AU piece?

>>25475977
Link over there.
>>
>>25475977
>>25476062
missed that
>>
>>25472118

Anon from before, thanks for a rather in-depth advising too! Might have to give it another try soon and post things here maybe. Also maybe link to Fluttershy vampony story maybe?
>>
File: 1423079445956.jpg (263KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
1423079445956.jpg
263KB, 500x376px
Ah need grammar advice for a "dedication page".

Is this correct?
"...and guided us in our time of need, as well as to our pet animals, who have given us comfort in the stress and hardships of the research."
>>
All right, this is for "Farming in the Icy Inferno."

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/83612/farming-in-the-icy-inferno

I noticed that you were pretty worried about proofreading. I don’t enjoy proofreading, so, while I will be pointing out the bigger and smaller issues in this story, I won’t be lingering on the mechanics of sentence writing very much at all. However, I will say that Microsoft Word can help you with a good amount of your spelling and grammar problems. Take each chapter, pass it through a Word document, and re-read it, fixing all the red and green underlines as you go, as needed. That alone will help make this story more presentable.

From the get-go, your sentences aren’t written very fluidly. In chapter one, you have Applejack say “Well, hopefully the damage to the barn ain’t gonna put a dent in our savings,” right before Spitfire crashes into it. Alternatively, in chapter two, you have a little scene where Applejack warns her not to sneeze on her, right before she sneezes on her. The examples themselves are paltry, but what they point to is a rigid, somewhat prescriptive writing style that does not allow for much in the way of embellishment or description. Everything you write is portrayed in a kind of basic step-by-step way. “‘Well, hopefully the damage to the barn ain’t gonna put a dent in our savings.’ Then she heard a loud bang coming from the direction of the red barn.” With nothing between those two actions, the action of Applejack speaking and Spitfire crashing, there’s nothing of interest going on in the scene; it winds up reading more like a recipe than a story. Plus, the timing is inexplicable in a distasteful way. 1/?
>>
>>25480235
Another thing that’s hurting your writing is your tendency to re-state or overstate yourself, either in needless repetition or stilted dialogue/internal monologue. In chapter one, you introduce the idea of the blizzard in Ponyville, and then say that it’s taking Applejack a long time to reach her barn, “what with the strong gale.” You don’t need to explain why she’s taking a long time. The reader will understand if you simply said “the harsh wind pushed against her, turning an easy stroll into a grueling march,” or something like that.

When I say that your dialogue or internal monologue is stilted, what I mean is that it doesn’t feel like it’s being stated genuinely. Spitfire has it the worst, I think, with all of her thoughts that pretty much just declare what she’s feeling at that time, with no confusion or real emotion behind them. “For Luna’s moon, could you have thought up…” is the part that I cite, in chapter three. She straight up announces what it is that she sounds like, leaving no room for curiosity on the part of the audience. I mean, we all know they’re going to get together, because it’s in the story description, but you can still play with the characters’ feelings some. They don’t have to like each other right away, or get along, or even be aware of their own feelings for a while. One thing that can help is if you just listen in on people having a conversation of their own. Listen to the way they meander, the way they go on tangents, find connections, and communicate without outright stating what they’re trying to say. How many people do you know who, when upset, would simply say “I’m upset!” and leave it at that? Human conversation is not generally expository, and that’s what you need to mirror in your own dialogue. 2/?
>>
>>25480254
This can also be helped if you have a better idea of who your characters are. In chapter three, right at the beginning, you say that Spitfire “was practically fearless and a force to be reckoned with.” Immediately after that, you pull the rug out from under yourself by having her quake at Granny Smith’s angry look. With a character like Spitfire, who will be more your own creation than the show’s, you can’t just introduce character traits like this at the same time as you start screwing with them; it seems disingenuous. You say Spitfire is really brave, but all I’ve seen her do in your story is cower away from a granny. What am I supposed to think? The reason this ties into the above point is that the fix for this problem and the aforementioned are very similar. With a better idea of who Spitfire is from the outset of the story, you’ll be able to represent her much more clearly and wholly, which means that her character can grow in ways that make sense as the plot progresses, instead of just having more elements arbitrarily layered onto it as needed. Additionally, you need to find a more elegant way to introduce this character point entirely; just stating it to us in your prose is boring and unhelpful, because it forces the reader to take the author’s word for how a character is, instead of actually reading it for themselves. You need to show us Spitfire’s bravery, not tell us of it. 3/?
>>
>>25480269
At the beginning, before you’ve even written anything down, think of your main characters (secondary too, if you want) and create their personalities. Ask yourself questions about them: how they handle certain situations, what their pasts are, why they do the things they do, how they wound up where they are. Who are their friends, idols, enemies? What are their favorite things, and hobbies? Not all of this has to go into the story, but you need to know it so that, when you write for them, you’ll be doing so on a solid foundation of knowledge. If you throw Spitfire into a situation, and you’re not even vaguely sure how she would react to it, then you don’t know her well enough, and the character suddenly becomes much more easily picked apart under scrutiny.

This problem with Spitfire is also in chapter two, where she reveals her admiration for Applejack and her father. You’re going to use this girlish adoration as the basis for the crush; that’s fine. That actually could be pretty interesting to see from Spitfire, who is usually on the other side of that situation with Dash. However, you introduce this feeling in Spitfire mere moments before using it to demonstrate her feelings for Applejack, and it’s too fast. Using a plot point at the same time as you introduce it is bad form, because it gives the readers no time to adjust. Imagine, if you will, that, instead of having you come to the thread and ask for help and get me, I just popped out of the woodwork on your story and dumped this critique on you. You’d be pretty shocked, huh? Maybe not certain what to say at first. It is this jarring feeling that you want to avoid in your readers with key plot points, because the metaphorical whiplash can turn them off of your story. 4/?
>>
>>25480289
In my own head, I call this thing the Law of Precedents: for every action or progression of plot, there must be an earlier indicator. That indicator can be as simple as a character expressing an emotion before acting from it, as subtle as a nervous flick of the tail as someone realizes they’re about to be found out, as complicated as leaving a story-long breadcrumb trail of clues to reveal the bad guy’s master plan before they do, or as implicit and theoretical as the beginning of the story necessarily meaning that it will have an ending. A way to re-state the rule is this: if something is going to happen, it has to make sense, given what came before.

I do my best to make each of these points segue into the next, either by related explanations or just smooth transitions. Why? To set you up for where I’m going, so you won’t be left wondering where anything came from. So, too, must you lead your audience. This is not simply taking a predetermined amount of chapter space and finding a way to work in a future plot point X amount of sentences before each time, nor is it just a bland dropping of a name or idea whenever you want the next twist to come up later. It takes finesse and strategy, and a lot of creativity to mask it.

It can be a fairly tall order when laid out in these long, abstract terms. You might think about it a different way. How often, in life, do important events just come out of nowhere? No one just GETS a romantic partner. No one just GETS a job, or a car, or their own dwelling. See what I’m saying? You can almost always trace things back to their origins as something different, but inexorably related, and major story points, in my opinion, need to follow that same standard, else things start seeming like they’re added for their own sake. This rule is just glorified causality following, and it happens every day IRL; and what is a story but an imitation of the one life we know? 5/?
>>
>>25480313
So to bring it back to Spitfire and Applejack, her suddenly coming down with these feelings for the farmer, seconds after we first hear of how big a rodeo fan she is, doesn’t fly because it feels like it’s coming out of nowhere. We need to see her love of the rodeo in advance, and ideally before she knows Applejack is a rodeo participant, so that, when she does make that important realization later, the reader understands. “Ah, that makes sense,” they’ll say, instead of “wait, what the fuck?”

You’ve got a similar issue with this in chapter four. Early on, you wax poetic a little bit on how Spitfire’s words can ignite the passion within, and how hot that passion is, and all that, but it’s premature. Up to that point in time, all she has done is make Applejack faint (that’s a hell of an overreaction, might I add) by telling her she’s a fan. She’s a little giddy in her head, yes, but you’re making it sound like there’s a germ of true love at play here, and I don’t buy that. The two ponies have known each other for about an hour now. There’s no way feelings have developed that quickly.

So that’s what I have to say about the story in general. Now, I’m going to tackle each of the four chapters, one by one, and hit on some more localized problems. A little bit past the halfway point on chapter one, you break from the main part to talk about Applejack barging into Twilight’s library. I assume that this was a flashback of some kind, but you really need to give me some indication on that. Being chronologically disoriented in a story is a disastrous, confusing feeling, and you’d be best off to avoid it as much as you can. Especially given that there was a blizzard when we first met Applejack, there’s a moment where I stopped, thinking, “wait, how’d she get through that blizzard again?” 6/?
>>
>>25480330
One thing that you did do well in that section, though, is set up for Applejack’s homophobia. I mean, that homophobia is mishandled later, but the setup for it was solid. Back with Spitfire, by the end of the chapter, I was asking myself how she was still alive. You have her leaking on Applejack as they go through the snow, and spraying her with blood as she applies the gauze. How the hell has she not bled out by that time? Moreover, how is she still able to even move around and give sarcastic quips? That poor, dumb pegasus should be flat asleep, if not dead. I don’t call her dumb as a cheap shot, by the way; she had to have been pretty thick to be flying at ground level in the middle of a blizzard, instead of maybe twenty feet higher, where she could avoid most obstacles.

Why is Applejack so alarmed by this blizzard? I thought pegasi blanketed the town with flyers about it in advance. When Apple Bloom asks her what happened to the pegasus, Applejack simply says “Dunno.” How does she not know, after scooping Spitfire's body out of barn rubble? Is it not obvious? When she gets Spitfire nice and comfy on the floor, Big Macintosh comes out with a big basket of pills, which I thought kind of hokey. I guess, if anyone should have it, it’s them, since they have Granny to take care of, but the big fuckoff basket just seemed weird to me. 7/?
>>
>>25480362
This gets its own paragraph. “‘Granny, she’s running a high fever, and was about as cold as a frozen icicle when I brought her in. Almost as bad as pa.’ Applejack shivered, memories of her father, once a proud stallion of a reputable physics, burn away before her eyes on his deathbed.” So, you have the right idea in introducing her sorrow over her dead dad early, but this is not the right time for it. It’s just jammed in the middle of Spitfire’s scene with zero subtlety or transition, and, for that reason, it was unwelcome to me. I’m supposed to be worrying about Spitfire’s life-threatening injuries, not whatever unaddressed sorrows Applejack has about her dead pop. Another reason is that I don’t think you gave Applejack enough time to be herself before dropping the “depression at dead parent” thing into the mix. She’s not the kind of character to go about moping at a moment’s notice, so having her take this tiny tangent in the first chapter sets a bad example. It makes her seem like a whiny, soft mare, instead of the strong and reliable farmer we know.

Around the halfway point, you say that Applejack wasn’t sure what to think of Spitfire’s reluctance to say her name, followed by a couple sentences on how she can understand. So I guess she does know what to think, huh? That’s beside the point, though; we don’t need an explanation at all. We know it’s Spitfire, and we know she’s famous. Her not wanting to be immediately forthcoming with her identity, especially in this compromising position, is easily assumed. Oh, and in case you’re wondering how this fits with my Law of Precedents, the precedent here for Spitfire’s reaction is the fact that she’s a celebrity; the reaction follows naturally from that premise. Not everything is spelled out, nor should it be. 8/?
>>
>>25480380
“‘Wait, you know Rainbow Dash? You wouldn’t happen to be her friend Applejack by any chance, right?’” Applejack introduced herself earlier than this. I guess Spitfire wasn’t listening. Then, Spitfire’s final thought for that chapter, that she wishes she knew who Applejack reminds her of, too, is very stilted. People don’t usually think in these basic, black and white, explicative terms, so the thought reads, not like Spitfire actually ruminating on Applejack’s identity, but you speaking through her to let us know that there’s something different about Applejack, and to pay attention to her.

Let’s move to chapter two. This one isn’t that bad here, mostly because I used it as an example for a ton of issues earlier. What’s with the date at the top? Is it like a second chapter name or something? It’s weird, but also easily ignored, so I wouldn’t worry about it very much at the point where you are. It’s the least of your issues. When Spitfire is ruminating on Apple Bloom, she makes a brief reference to Diamond Tiara, but I don’t see why. Unless Diamond Tiara will be showing up later, there’s no real reason to mention her in this way. When Spitfire is talking to Applejack about Rainbow, she accidentally makes an innuendo. You don’t need to tell me that she did it in the sentence that follows. Just have her blush, and leave it at that. Right after, Applejack chuckles and pats Spitfire on the back, where she was injured earlier. You might want to pay closer attention to how badly you hurt your characters, 'cause that sign of affection could have put the poor pegasus into shock. 9/?
>>
>>25480390
In chapter three, why is Granny Smith getting worked up about Spitfire before caring for Applejack? Is admonishing the injured pony more important than caring for her kin? In your flashback, you tell me that I might be surprised to learn that Spitfire is hard to piss off. Remember what I said about introducing a character point right before breaking it, with her fearlessness? Here it is again, complete with the issue of immediately turning around and contradicting yourself by showing her yelling and screaming at the pony who is supposedly her friend. The screaming she does is extremely over the top, to the point where I’m questioning her stability and intelligence. You say she’s hard to piss off, so maybe she’s one of those ponies who blacks out from rage every half-year or so, and is otherwise cool as a cucumber, but I doubt that. I think it’s more likely that you don’t have much experience with writing an upset character, and over-expressed her anger out of fear of missing the mark.

That problem, however, is adjunct to something bigger: the flashback’s placement. This is a story where you’re shipping two characters, which means that you’ll be exploring their personalities quite a lot, both on their own and how they relate to each other. Why, then, do you want a flashback so early in the story? I don’t even know Spitfire by this point. I know a little bit about her, but she’s not familiar to me, so dumping me into a super important part of her life is going to be largely lost on me, because the significance for her will not be significant for me. When I was twelve years old, I had a dog that I loved with all my heart, and it got smashed by my own dumb ass in one of those remote-control Tonka trucks. I dropped thirty pounds because I was so depressed, and, to this day, I dream of her soulful little eyes in a dead skull at least once a month, accusing me. 10/?
>>
>>25480424
Okay, so all of that is false, but the point is, what do you care? You don’t know me, or how this hypothetical dog affected me, except by what I tell you. That’s how I felt about Spitfire at that time. You need to wait before delivering a flashback of such emotional resonance, to save for when you’re sure I’m deep enough into the story and invested enough in the character to give a damn.

When Applejack smooched Spitfire, I was really caught off guard. I thought she was afraid of that kind of affection. You do have her question herself later on, but I feel the scene would be better if there were more building up to it. The sobbing and emotional outpouring is good, but, for how little these characters know each other, I need more still. I think the kiss, like the flashback, should be saved for later. Then, near the end, Applejack tells Spitfire that she looks like she needs a snuggle buddy. I don’t know, just the thought of Applejack saying that really sat weirdly on my palate. She doesn’t strike me as particularly cuddly, is all.

Toward the beginning, you take a moment to list off some of the illicit activities Spitfire has gotten herself involved in in her youth, but I think it was poorly timed. This is the middle of her judgment at the hooves of an irate grandmother; I don’t want to hear about her drug use right now. In that same confrontation, I think you’re trying too hard to add in artificial tension with phrases like “For a minute, nothing was said,” and by taking a long time to get to the point of the conversation. That’s just superficial messing around; proper tension is conveyed through character dialogue and action, not by the author finding elaborate ways to describe it. Instead of wasting your time on describing the tension, try having Granny put Spitfire more on the spot. Not in an aggressive way, but in an assertive way, if you catch my drift. 11/?
>>
>>25480441
Asking a lot of questions, asking for explanation to things that sound simple, not letting Spitfire ramble or be sarcastic. That puts Granny in a position of subtle power over Spitfire much better than she can ever be with just your say-so. Lastly, you have Applejack wake up exactly when Spitfire is done talking with Granny, and it seems way too convenient.

Chapter four. Last one, and then some closing remarks. I, like every other reader, I imagine, was not prepared for Sleight to be a supervillain in a story that tags itself with “romance” and “sad.” However, I then surprised myself in my own thoughts about this turn of events. This development is humongously abrupt, and fits with the tone you’ve set so far about as well as a turd in a punch bowl, but I’m kind of okay with it. You have Sleight as being an actual evil wizard, and not some hotheaded dickwad with more anger than efficacy, which is the better of the two choices. You give him an underground prison, complete with dark priests and guards, and access to transformative magic. The whole premise was so absurd that I couldn’t even get worked up about it. It’s so woefully incongruent that, for me, it wound up circling around to being weirdly acceptable, and I think it could be an interesting touch of outlandish in what is, up to this point, an extremely vanilla story. However, it does have some glaring issues. 12/?
>>
>>25480454
The abruptness does need to be fixed. I think, if you gave Sleight more time with Soarin in the conference room, and allowed him more room to show off how much of an evil bastard he is, him turning around and dragging the hapless, pie-loving Wonderbolt to his fate wouldn’t be so crazy. I’m envisioning a scenario wherein Sleight starts out as being just a jerk, but steadily turns more sinister and mordant, to the point where he’s not even talking about Soarin or the Wonderbolts anymore, just going off on his own and getting lost in some kind of misanthropic rant. Another abrupt thing that I didn’t care for was what he was doing to Braeburn. I know it’s possible to make this kind of thing work in a story without stooping to fetishism, but that’s very much the vibe I got from this, and I’m just wondering why. Why in the hell do we need sex-change magic here? What purpose can it possibly serve?

I know I’m probably giving you mixed messages. I said I was kind of okay with it, then I pointed out two massive faults in the idea. I think this is one of those cases where my own taste for the story diverges from what is actually critically wrong with it; I only hope you don’t take this to mean that you can just leave the scene alone. By all means, change it; fix the abruptness, fix the edge (getting there), fix the speed with which things turn, and fix that weird, unnecessary sex change. Transition to everything more smoothly, at the very least. I like a dash of the ridiculous every now and then, but this particular dash is going to wind up crushing your softer, more sentimental elements if you give it half a chance, and I doubt you want that. After all, you tagged the story with romance, not adventure; I think I know where your priorities lie. 13/?
>>
>>25480477
This whole scene is just swimming in edge, you know. Sleight, for all his screaming and torturing, all his one-liners, comes across as farcical and flat. A properly scary villain is not the loudest pony in the group, but the one who can always find a way to control the situation. Any jackass can drop someone in their torture dungeon, provided they have the resources, but it takes true evil for them to calmly dismantle that same someone’s life and career until they request the torture dungeon as a means of escape. A true villain will, more often than not, comport themselves with low energy, because it makes them more in control, more collected, more formidable. The judge from Blood Meridian, Ozymandius from Watchmen, Voldemort from Harry Potter: all of these lauded villains are relatively low-energy, not going out of their way to show off how villainous they are (though Voldemort does get pretty uppity at times).

Plus, there’s the question of how in the hell Sleight managed to get all this stuff. How does someone who manages the Wonderbolts, who has to be at least a somewhat eminent figure, manage to keep an entire mob of devoted followers, an underground dungeon, and what I would hope is illegal magic under wraps? And, given that he somehow does, why is he worrying about Soarin? Someone of his power would more realistically be concerning himself with things like overthrowing the goddesses or subsuming Equestrian industry, not fucking up a single pony who smacked him. Shit, he can just send a goon for that.

Toward the beginning of this chapter, you take a paragraph and explain that Applejack is pretty level-headed, and there’s no need. I watch the show. I know how she is. In a similar vein, you say “Somehow, someway, the captain of the Wonderbolts had managed to crash land on her somewhat isolated farm.” This recapitulation is also unnecessary, because it only happened a few chapters ago. I remember how she got there. 14/15
>>
>>25480502
Also close to the beginning, you say that Applejack has only ever seen such devotion and loyalty from one pony before, despite that Spitfire has been a part of her life for around an hour. That is one hell of a conclusion to jump to, and you really should not have.

So, in summation, this needs a lot of work, as you know. Your dialogue is stilted, your writing is too repetitive, and you add in too many needless explanations for simple things, while mishandling the larger points by leaving the reader no time to see them develop naturally. I noticed that Applejack alternated between using “I” and “ah” a lot, so you need to watch for that, and you really, really need to write Spitfire’s injury more accurately. For all the blood she lost, and the broken bones, and the concussion she probably has, the only difficulty she seems to have is the occasional stumble when she tries to walk. It makes it seem like she’s not injured very seriously at all, which is the exact opposite of what you try to tell us. Lastly, the way you portray Applejack, as being someone afraid of her own sexuality, is one of the most standard ways of giving her internal conflict in a shipping story. That, paired with the low hanging fruit of sadness for her dead relatives, makes her into a character archetype that we’ve all seen before, so you’ll need to do a lot to make her stand out. Pairing her with an unorthodox character is not enough. 15/15
>>
>>25480181
Yeah, that sounds good. Maybe drop the "the" before research; it kind of emphasizes the fact that there was a lot of research. It depends on whether that's the goal of your dedication.
>>
>>25480181
What's the rest of the sentence. That comma' section reads a bit weird.
>>
>>25481034
ah, I'm that paranoid comma anon from before. Just finishing up a draft of my dissertation. I'm proofreading it later on.
---
We dedicate this to our parents, our professors and our friends who have helped and guided us in our time of need, as well as to our pet animals, who have given us comfort in times of stress and hardships.
---
>>
>>25481159

It reads and sounds better without the research part on the end. Don't forget the serial comma after professors~ I also think that since going plural with we/our, times of need might fit things... but that's more a personal thing as it is correct how it is.

The only other thing is the 'our pet animals' sounds awkward. Why put it like that instead of just 'pets' or 'pet companions' or even 'beloved pets'?
>>
>>25481192
>>25480537

Yeah, going to make the correct changes. Thanks for the assist.
>>
File: but anon.jpg (45KB, 1043x759px) Image search: [Google]
but anon.jpg
45KB, 1043x759px
>>25481877
>>
>>25480515

Finally someone who doesn't mince words for a change. Critical, perceptive, and informative. I've only given a glance over of your analysis, but I can already see that your critique will help me immensely in future endeavors, Even if it does sting, I rather this than face the prospect of wallowing in mediocrity.

I appreciate this immensely Little Guy.

Now I just need to apply your advice and suggestions into something workable. Just going to be an extremely difficult task.

I will be going over your posts individually and responding to each appropriately if I see something that I wish to have elaborated upon if need be. That said, you've done more for me than others ever had in helping aid in my improvement, so consider this request completely optional. Don't want to hog the few helping hands to myself. I can wait.
Again, thank you.
>>
File: 5621.facedesk.gif (312KB, 379x332px) Image search: [Google]
5621.facedesk.gif
312KB, 379x332px
>>25482247
... Actually upon further review, perhaps I should just cut my losses and stick to writing short stories only. Or just greentext.

>>25480235
>>25480254

I usually run them through LibreOffice to avert this problem.
So I have that area covered more or less.

As for the redundancy and stilted dialogue, this problem has plagued me for ages. Writing both "genuine" dialogue, as well as conveying vivid sensory imagery is a pain that almost seems insurmountable. Even with all the research and reading of other stories, I sincerely doubt I actually have gotten a hold of an idea of actually how it is supposed to be handled.

I have no idea what the reader will see when they read my descriptions. Effectively I feel I am running blind.

I suppose you could say this story is just devoid of much of anything meaningful, only cobbled mediocrity.

Right at this point I can see an analogy to George Lucas in my writing. I might be able to conceptualize a decent few ideas for a story, but in actual execution... Well, a train wreak.

>>25480269
>>25480289

... And apparently even though I was so hung up on trying to show, not tell, I still managed to screw that up.
As for characterization, just another screw up on my part. Abysmally so.

Your suggestions are sound, but my problem is that I have difficulties in planning much of anything, then actually executing them into something solid that can be grasped at. Pacing, as you can see, is something that I am in no way proficient in whatsoever. The idea is in my head, but everything else? Almost as if it is in a miasma that I cannot conceptualize into physical form of some kind. There is a word for this kind of thing, but it eludes me like many other things unfortunately.

>>25480289
Too fast? Indeed. So much for the wasted time in researching how to even go about planning and creating the bigger and smaller details. So much to absorb, yet thick as a rock in trying to analyze and store it.
>>
>>25480330

I didn't think anything through.

Most on the fly, making things up as I go along.

If nothing else, I suppose this story could serve as a textbook example of what happens when you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Without even the slightest idea of how to go about creating a story and all the fine details that are entailed therein, I now see at best I might be able to write a few snippets of description or proof of concept, if even at that.

I attempted to emulate some of the other shipping stories on the site, trying to capture some emotional intensity. The result to paraphrase what you said in a rough manner, might as well made wooden puppetry more convincing than anything I could muster.

The romance? Just another Disney style one now that you have revealed this to me.

>>25480362
Did well? At this point I am doubting that is even true if my story is this much of a mess.

It is probably safe to bet I even screwed the presentation and execution of that up somehow, somewhere. Just need to find it myself.

The injuries and Spitfire's survival are just me being a dummy in terms of not knowing how the body works or how injuries actually affecting something. Hollywood style of shrugging of a bullet wound like it was nothing in other words. That, or perhaps I failed to paint what I was seeing in my mind accurately. Descriptions are one of my greater banes.

I can explain Spitfire in that she recently not too long ago went through an emotional take down, but even that falls flat.

As for Applejack's alarm, call it a failure on my part to explain how I think the weather is handled, and the rules behind it.
>>
>>25480380
I can only say that this is the result of being a shit tiered writer. This would not be the case if I were not. To go into further depths to explain these failures would take more space than it is worth for either you or I, as it is becoming increasingly clear to me as I analyze your critique. Just the way I think about things in such a disjointed way... Just one of a great number of shortcomings. Even trying to explain it feels difficult.

Why that is, I do not know. I've tried researching why I become numb with a brain fog throughout, yet fail without exception. It feels like something thick is pressing against the sides of my brain. Not a painful one, or even uncomfortable at this point. Just a constant numbness felt for the past three and a half years. But I digress.

>>25480390
Screw up on my part. Again.

As for the date thing, I like date the time when the document was created. Gives me a point of reference when combing through my work and doing comparisons between older and newer works. Just a personal quirk of mine.

I didn't think of the back being injured when writing this down. Just the wings. But I guess the back by extension would be damaged in sync with the wings. Again you are probably much more capable of thinking about such details in greater depth than I could at this point, as you demonstrate well with your analysis. I envy those abilities more than ever now. But moving on.

>>25480424
The short and curt explanation is that I fail at writing in general.

The longer one is that I fail to take these details into account and incorporate such factors in mind when writing. I am a spontaneous fellow who has great difficulties planning, as such documents feel dead to me. Devoid of feeling and worth. I aim blindly, hoping somehow I will hit my target. Perhaps I might have done something right, but otherwise this story is just a mess cobbled together on the fly.
>>
>>25480454
This cannot be put any other way. That was a pure fuck up on my part.

>However, it does have some glaring issues.

Like everything else about this story.

I am beginning to think this story should have never seen the light of day. So much for that idea.

>>25480477
That is because it is fetishism. There is no other larger point, despite my efforts to try and avail it to the contrary. If I were to rewrite this story, I will have to scrap this part entirely. Or hell, just the whole story in general.

(Fuck this bloody character limit.)
>>
>>25480515
In conclusion, you have opened my eyes to just how bad this story is alone. To even think I actually considered this my best work to be of any decent quality. Effort wasted, both the reader and my own. What does that say about my other works? The same, but worse. Probably more than I even realize.

After this, I think I will just stick to writing short stories and greentext, if even at that. It is obvious that I am not capable whatsoever handling a long to mid range story, even I wanted to write one.

I primarily wrote this story because there was only one other one out there that appeared to be a AppleFire shipping, but ended up just another AppleDash story. In part, I hope that this story might inspire other, superior writers to take up the slack and actually write something decent. At the time, I didn't consider the story above good like some other shipping stories on the site, but at the very least I believed it to be okay.

This however has been proven to be on the contrary. And all to show for it is nothing but the utter incompetence of another shit tier writer who only manages to show why many folks look upon fanfiction with utter disdain, if not outright hatred.

Well intended efforts mean nothing without the skill to back it up.

I see no beginning where to learn how to write a story. Much of the Internet is vague in ways that do no answer my true questions in a way that I find to be able to work with. But then again, at least an okay writer would have some rough idea of what to do. I do have a couple rough drafts of unreleased versions of chapters of existing ones, plus a new one that has not been posted yet. But after this critique, it would be mostly a waste of your time to read it. I'll post it later with the password if anyone is curious about it, but otherwise
it is just a remnant.

Some of my author responses to comments also reveals a little bit of my thought process in writing the story, if that means anything at this point.
>>
>>25480515
So thanks Little Guy. I do appreciate the effort, though I apologize that it had to be wasted on mediocrity. Who knows? Perhaps I might meet little better with short stories, but I honestly feel tired at this point. I wanted to contribute something instead of consume, yet all that was for naught.

Perhaps I will just revert to being a lurker for the most part.

Maybe offering proposals for other writers to take some hits at.

But write? Beyond my capacity in any meaningful returns it would take to improve upon it. Or perhaps not.

I am somewhat curious as to how you would summarize my abilities as a whole, not just the story. Something a little easier to digest to reference to if I were to write anything else. I do not want to give up writing just yet, just scale it back.
If possible, solutions in the forms of suggestions like practice, resources to reference and read upon, stuff of that nature would be nice if possible.

That said, you have done more than enough for just one person.
If you have other work to do, make that your foremost priority.
I don't mind being ignored in this respect.
>>
File: derpy happy.png (373KB, 764x682px) Image search: [Google]
derpy happy.png
373KB, 764x682px
Let me do this.

>10
>>
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/300223/lost-and-forgotten

Wouldn't mind a review for this story.

Thanks.
>>
File: 1447903179045.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1447903179045.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
Wash away the grumpy..

Here I sing before the ponies of this town
What they all need is not a savior but a clown
Laugh away the spooky, welcome smiles kin
But there's no sunshine out so shine the light within

In the dark and feeling lonely..
Please let my sunshine in

And you will laugh! And the world's changed! Like the day's anew!
For all the joy you feel is just how life shall be!
And I will sing! For the newly born! Who alight within me!
And you'll all sing your songs while waiting here with me

Until you find the dark has disappeared
The dark disappears!
>>
File: truth.png (14KB, 377x414px) Image search: [Google]
truth.png
14KB, 377x414px
>>25482718
Don't get overwhelmed. Focus on improving one thing and one thing only.

But by all means, never give up.
>>
>>25483963
That image is one of the truest things I've seen
>>
>>25483963
There should be a third panel for '4chan' where the guy is zipping up and both cakes have cock shaped holes in them.
>>
>>25485154
ha
>>
File: wallpaper-1955069.jpg (494KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
wallpaper-1955069.jpg
494KB, 1920x1080px
i wish i didn't live with a bunch of normies or i'd be rocking pone wp

baump
>>
>have a couple ideas
>decide to try making something, never writefagged before
>spend a night writing around half of a first chapter
>go back to it the next day and loathe everything I've written
>realize I'm literally writing my little pony fanfiction
fucking hell
I can't bring myself to delete it because I like the idea and I actually put effort into it, but every time I try to work on it I end up disgusted by the whole thing almost immediately. How do I get over this?
>>
>>25482718
Wow, I wasn't expecting such a long reply. I appreciate the hell out of it, but you don't need to beat yourself up so much.

I think scaling back your writing could be a very good way to get more practice. You don't have to worry about as much in a simple greentext, but the core components of a larger story are still there, so you can get accustomed to those without having to worry about as much ancillary stuff.

On the whole, I think you're not used to thinking about things in terms of how they would be structured in a story. You have the ideas, but putting form to them is difficult. Some of it could be a lack of technical knowledge, but a lot of it is probably a lack of informative experience. Having skimmed through the comments on your story, you're not getting any help there; I saw blind praise almost exclusively, and that is toxic to writers. This person >>25483963 is absolutely right. Pick one aspect of the craft you want to improve, and focus on that until you're feeling comfortable with it. Then move on to something different. This board is the place for practicing, and this thread is the place for refinement. And, if it turns out, later, that you're not cut out for it, at least you can say you gave it your damnedest.

>>25488039
I felt exactly that way when I started my fic too. I almost chickened out, and let it become a safe, fun idea for me to turn over in my head. That was years ago, and I can tell you, you get used to it if you let yourself enjoy the writing process enough, independent of its subject material.
>>
>>25488039
>go back to it the next day and loathe everything I've written
This is going to happen. I've written plenty of stories that I've gotten part way through, and just hate what I've written. I've also gone back to old stories, and realize how poorly written they are. It happens with every story, and unless you have a massive ego, you're going to dislike a lot of your stories.
>How do I get over this?
It never really goes away, but this is what editing is for. Everyone hates doing it, because not only is it tedious, we also hate seeing our flaws. We want to go back and read something phenomenal, but we know it's not, so we try to avoid looking altogether. Editing is incredibly important. It requires a lot of patience, a sensitive perception, and a good knowledge of all the moving parts of a story. Honestly, since it's your first story, I wouldn't worry too much about proof-reading. I think it's more important that when you start out, that you just get something out, even if it's shit. You kind of need to see how all the moving parts come together before you start polishing the gears, if that makes any sense.
>>
>>25488410
I actually kind of enjoy the editing process, because it makes it a bit more readable.
>tfw realizing I somehow used the phrase "a bit" 5 times in 2 sentences
what the fuck

>get something out, even if it's shit
Yeah, that's what I'm going for at this point.

>>25488349
I'll work on it.

Thanks for the advice, guys.
>>
File: image.jpg (120KB, 1203x663px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
120KB, 1203x663px
>>
>>25489119
bu
>>
Bump before sleep.
>>
>>25491119
Sleep well Anon
>>
File: she watch how you masturbate.png (105KB, 353x344px) Image search: [Google]
she watch how you masturbate.png
105KB, 353x344px
>>25491126
This.
>>
File: 1437193992274.jpg (9KB, 242x220px) Image search: [Google]
1437193992274.jpg
9KB, 242x220px
With the sem break in, I can finally continue working on my fanfictions
>>
>>25491615
go for it
>>
File: judging you.png (99KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
judging you.png
99KB, 500x500px
Gentlemen, allow me to save this beautiful thread!
>>
File: Mister.jpg (19KB, 907x521px) Image search: [Google]
Mister.jpg
19KB, 907x521px
>>25493560
Nigga did I just catch you bumping this thread without a voocaroo link to you singing poetry?
>>
File: learned.jpg (284KB, 600x1186px) Image search: [Google]
learned.jpg
284KB, 600x1186px
>>25493641
Fuck.
Right.
Fuck me.
It will be done when will be done. In... probably short future - but not to-morrow, because I will be offline for all long day and even more... But... I will focus at preparing what I promised to do.

(bump)
>>
File: 1357525479992.gif (277KB, 496x400px) Image search: [Google]
1357525479992.gif
277KB, 496x400px
>>25494314
Holding you to that Fapman.
>>
>>25494314
hooray
>>
>>25494314
Looking forward
>>
Would anyone be up for a 30+ post story to review?
>>
>>25498199
Don't expect an immediate response, but a 30 post story does sound nice. Quick synopsis before posting?
>>
>>25499138
Anon meets hobo Twilight. I'm finishing it up right now.
>>
>>25483916

"Greetings Anon, I am prototype F.L.U.T.T.E.R.Shy, I am there to love you"

Thrust, Into the ground.
It was clear, My life's passion had been found.
I would take care,
Of the weak, I would make this world fair.

Their lives were all worth saving,
This destiny I find,
What I need of this world,
Is to show them that I'm KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIND!

Living just to be heard!
Never broken, never stirred .
My path winds ever on.

Feel the warmth in my voice,
And let the right path be your choice,
Walk with me into the dawn.
>>
>>25500080
"Greetings Anon, I am prototype F.L.U.T.T.E.R.Shy, I am *here to love you"

It's 4 am, 1 mistake isn't bad.
>>
Bumpin
>>
>>25500080
uh oh
>>
>>25500766
>>
>>25504555
>>
So, how do you other writefags go about actually settiling down and focusing? And for that matter, how do you all develop really big story arcs and things?

I think I may be sat a small disadvantage with these kind of things from some clinical stuff (anxiety, etc.) that makes it hard for me to focus. It's why I have been trying to work on greens and see if that helps me focus longer without feeling defeated. So, wondering if any of you kind among have any secrets to share on the subject.
>>
Bump
>>25504804
Genuinely curious about this too.
>>
Double Bump
>>
>>25507489
triple
>>
>>25504804
I wish I knew
>>
>>25500086
Done pretty well!
>>
Bit of help with this part. What's the best way to write a character's journal page with smudges.

---Cherry had put the book down to grab the sandwich she bought earlier. A thriller is best read on a good stomach after all. Dinky flipped to a few more pages, as the next pages simply filled up the suspicion of Grotto in small amounts.

Blizzard, December 12th

Too coold to write. Been looking throuugh wi--dnow a lot. Glyde's lady friend has been visiting alto latellly. He has been {incomprehensive smudge} throuhg the nights. Talked to one of the ssuits. Told me to bakc off. Something's up {incomprehensive smudge}.
---
>>
>>25504804
It comes with experience. I don't try to focus on length, I try to focus on what needs to be told, and if it's two posts, its two posts, if it's 30, so be it. The key to making a long story is in how you conceptualize it. Don't think about making a long, complex, arc with lots of events. Think of it as taking a simple arc, and learning how to stretch it out. That's how I personally come up with stories. For me, when I think of it that way, it keeps me focused, and keeps me from creating an incoherent story. My stories aren't complex, especially when you take a step back. They're incredibly simple; they're just stretched out and pulled so close to the reader that all the reader sees is the details and the moment to moment happenings. I would say start incredibly small. Find a prompt you find interesting, come up with a simple arc, then fill it out. Even if it's a single post. Once you get comfortable with this, you can stretch it out even further and further, and go more into more detail, fleshing out scenes with more vivid description, making conversations more nuanced, and giving your ark a more defined shape, creating peaks and valleys where things are either getting better or worse. Patience will develop alongside skill. It really is important with how you conceptualize things. I've found that this way of thinking is incredibly helpful. Hope it helps you too.
>>
>>25511942
>ark
*ark
>and go more into more detail
*and go into more detail
Christ, I need to get some sleep.
>>
File: 1446542405283.png (13KB, 284x284px) Image search: [Google]
1446542405283.png
13KB, 284x284px
>>25510884

Thanks, I want to do one of Rarity with Mistral's theme next, but I can't find a picture of her as Mistral.

I'm thinking of going into a drawthread and asking a drawfag for one.
>>
>>25511942

Good advice! Loooong ago before growing up and getting how bad I am, I think I used to do things like that.

Another problem of mine is adding the fluff which is doing the stretching and all of that. I can force it, but it takes a long time; need to get more natural at expanding on things than wanting to keep to plot points and small explanations there.

But thank you for the advice, going to meditate on this.

>>25511718

Hmm, as far as the question, if it's clear it is a journal entry (or even if not), writing the whole thing out like that is a bit clunky. Just [incomprehensible] would work. Or [smudged] or something to that effect. Simple way to say that the information at that part is missing.
>>
>>25513516
Thanks.
>>
>>25512970
nice
>>
File: image.jpg (87KB, 900x680px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87KB, 900x680px
>>
File: page 3.jpg (1MB, 1200x1000px) Image search: [Google]
page 3.jpg
1MB, 1200x1000px
>tfw you will never be good enough to kindle self publish so why even bother
>>
>>25515693
Writing is good for your soul, even if you don't see direct, tangible, benefits.
>>
>>25515916
Just so.
>>
>>25515693

>>25515916 is right. Gotta keep writing and trying, will get something good out of it. Don't let your dreams be dreams.
>>
Oi, any of you played Spec Ops: The Line?

>http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1017980/We-Are-Not-Heroes-Contextualizing

A lot of this stuff isn't really applicable here but if you want to write drama then you can draw a lot of parallels.
>>
>>25518536
WORK FOR IT
>>
>>25313475
here's another one

http://pastebin.com/WWZBkjFC
>>
File: 1447472479993.jpg (101KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
1447472479993.jpg
101KB, 500x501px
>Show some things to a few people
>They generally like it, few grammar issues but that's what I get for typing at midnight
>Paranoid that they are either the people who think everything's great or have zero standards
I hate this feeling so much.
>>
>>25521302
See >>25483963
A very large chunk of your readerbase is this. If you see your own mistakes and correct them next time, you are still learning and improving. Improvement comes almost always from yourself. I find it is typically rare that praise or criticism is sufficiently constructive (on a non-solicited basis, mind you) to really help a writer improve. You're the one who has to re-read your newest story once the high of posting it publically has worn off and ask yourself 'would I read this if I wasn't the author?'
If the answer is no, ask yourself why. If the answer is yes, follow it with 'but I can write it better.'

It might seem weird but I treat posted work as if someone else wrote it when re-evaluating. It lets you be more critical without the usual 'all my work is shit!' approach we see far too often.
>>
>>25521302
the people who think everything's awful or have impossible standards really aren't more helpful
>>
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1E8txMLvoCW
bump
It't the best I can do right now in a hurry, I am sorry.
And I know that it's shit. I couldn't even pronounced all the words. Fuck me.

My own reaction for my own singing
http://vocaroo.com/i/s00pfay0bZgo
>>
File: 1357287017017.png (33KB, 226x246px) Image search: [Google]
1357287017017.png
33KB, 226x246px
>>25524690
Beautiful.
Thread posts: 455
Thread images: 95

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.