[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

VOTOMS was awful

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

>/m/ praises this show to high heaven, so I give it a watch
>this is what I get:
>Chirico is a bland, boring character, who has barely any memorable moments to himself - just goes from a stoic guy to stoic guy with friends (and that development happened by episode 8 so the next 44 episodes are pretty static)
>well, to be honest, they try to develop him there on whenever a character says "Chirico is such an emotionless guy!" and then he proves them wrong by being brave for others or some shit, this happens every four episodes
>shamelessly rips off scenes from films such as Platoon and 2001
>takes the melodrama of newtype romances in Gundam and stretches it over 20 episodes with more sap than ever before because Chirico and Fyana are more emotionally stunted than Char Aznable
>despite "muh grit" the protagonists have the most intense plot armor I've seen in a real robot show
>the main villain, that we'd been hearing about for 40 episodes, goes out like a bitch, literally saying shit like "wahhh i want the ultimate power wahh it's not fair!"
>the four arcs honestly feel like four series they bashed together, all with different tones that don't mesh. and the ptsd angle kind of waves in and out and never really comes together
>after the first episode, nothing notable happens in the Woodo arc except Chirico meeting Fyana
>the final 13 episodes have the most ridiculous plot they pulled out of nowhere, a literal "deus ex machina" (god in the machine) where some magical computer entity just starts doing magical shit and manipulating reality, i thought this was gritty, not more mystical than UC Gundam
>the ending has them deciding to be shot out into space in a cryogenic tube because they cannot be free. because floating around frozen out in the open is a safer idea than hiding away while conscious. i mean really?

Stupid fucking anime. Zeta was honestly a lot better.
>>
File: OP.jpg (337KB, 1312x954px) Image search: [Google]
OP.jpg
337KB, 1312x954px
>>15867655
>>
xpearse get some sleep
>>
It's got cool robots. Nothing else matters.
>>
Is this the new bait
>>
>>15867655
>Stupid fucking anime. Zeta
FTFY

Zeta is the dumbest shit I ever watched. People who like it have an iq of minus 50.
>>
>>15867655
At least it's better than A/Z
>>
>>15867756
>falls for the IQ meme
>doesn't even understand it
>>
File: bliz.png (1MB, 1079x660px) Image search: [Google]
bliz.png
1MB, 1079x660px
Sometimes depressing how immature /m/ is, you get the same knee jerk reactions from anything remotely negative about a show, doesn't matter whether you're pointing out the flaws like this or you're just making a one liner saying it's shit.

I'd say try Dougram, it has more consistency and overall direction, still has the ridiculous plot armor though, but it feels good and complete. Only thing VOTOMs does better would be the action.
>>
>>15867871
Stop phoneposting.
>>
>>15867873
museru yourself bro
>>
>(show /m/ likes) IS FUCKING SHIT
>long greentext shitting on superficial flaws

rinse and repeat every week
>>
>>15868233
how are those superficial? what the hell.
>>
Votoms isn't that great, but compared to the nonsensical autistic trainwreck that is Zeta, it's far superior.
>>
>OP trying to change tactics
>>15867755
>>
Is VOTOMS simply too intelligent for modern anime fans?
>>
>>15868246
>nonsensical autistic trainwreck that is Zeta
Underage?
>>
I agree, Zeta is just retarded.
>>
>>15867655
That's what you get for trusting other peoples opinions.

>>15867871
Yes, because that's not something people normally do. You're also assuming a lot here.
>>
>OP gives multiple points regarding characters, plot structure, and pacing
>nobody rebuffs his complaints and just says he's being a troll and other buzzwords like "superficial"

At least he's giving examples unlike in the Zeta threads where people's complaints are single sentences "ZETA IS AUTISTIC XD"
>>
>>15868754
Fuck off OP. All you did was make a bunch of statement about how "this is shit" or "that is bad". Fuck you and stop bumping this shitshow, xpearse.
>>
>>15868788
I gave legitimate examples in my OP. Not just "it was bad", it was bad because there was no character development and random pacing/consistency issues like the final 13 episodes being dedicated to a machine god that came out of nowhere.

And who the fuck is xpearse? I'm sorry I don't pay attention to cliquey e-circlejerks and namefags
>>
>>15868867
fuck off xpearse
>>
>>15868867
No you didn't. You just gave a bunch of subjective nonsense and showed how you missed the point of what the show was showing you.

Also you seem to be under the impression that a show is a certain tone, then been disappointed when it gives you another.
>>
>>15868880
don't get caught in xpearse's bullshit, just name him and he'll recoil
>>
>>15867655
I kind of feel that Chirico's lack of emotion is more of a show of what he's been through after so much time in war, he's just tired and doesn't have any enthusiasm or feelings for anything now.
>>
>>15867655
>>Chirico is a bland, boring character, who has barely any memorable moments to himself - just goes from a stoic guy to stoic guy with friends (and that development happened by episode 8 so the next 44 episodes are pretty static)
Chirico is not even that stoic at all in the beginning and early arcs. He cleary show emotions, get scared, crack a joke or two and so on. He is leagues better than modern stoic anime characters that are simply 24 hours a day serious/uninterested and wouldn't express an emotion even if a truck hit them.
Sometime since I seen the series, so it would be better for you to show us where did you found those "shamelessly rips off scenes". I'm not even being sarcastic. I'm truly curious.
>despite "muh grit" the protagonists have the most intense plot armor I've seen in a real robot show
And what did you consider plot armor? Did you wanted the protagonist to just fucking die? In many of his battles Chirico gets beaten, bleeds, is defeated needs to run,and so on. This is far away from being one of mecha protagonists with more plot armor. He survivability, what you is calling plot armor, is even creatively used as plot point in the final episodes.
>the main villain, that we'd been hearing about for 40 episodes, goes out like a bitch, literally saying shit like "wahhh i want the ultimate power wahh it's not fair!"
I didn't see any problem with that and is also not unconventional in some stories to what we believed to be the main antagonist to be revealed as just a pawn. You are seriously just nitpicking here.
>>
File: 1441284812432.png (1MB, 1100x500px) Image search: [Google]
1441284812432.png
1MB, 1100x500px
>>15868920
to continue:
>the ending has them deciding to be shot out into space in a cryogenic tube because they cannot be free. because floating around frozen out in the open is a safer idea than hiding away while conscious. i mean really?
This is your own personal opinion about the end, not a flaw of the show. They prefer to get frozen and be at peace at the vastness of space because both lived they entire lives fighting and being under danger. So now they only want to be in peace. Is a coherent ending with what the anime showed.

But about the penultimate point, we do have a problem that some people generally describe Votoms as a more "realistic" mecha series. This creates a problematic false expectation of something probably more in lines with Dougram. "Mature" could be a better word to describe the series, and still in mind that mature in relation to other anime tv series from the early 80´s. Or we could simply show this image.
>>
>>15868920
You know, I've seen another person mention the nonsensical "rips off 2001" thought. It's some weird shit.
>>
>>15868956
>>15868920
There's that one scene towards the very end when Chrico Kills Wiseman hat's extremely similar to famous scene in 2001, but I wouldn't call it a ripoff.

The kummen arc is reminscient of Vietnam war movies, but that's mostly just because they're fighting guerillas in a jungle.
>>
gaogaigar was votoms done right
>>
>>15868255
>tfw to intellignet for VOTOMs
>>
>>15867655

I seriously hope you actually are just pretended to be this retarded, and are not actually this retarded. I don't understand how anyone with more than 50IQ points can fail to understand that they were going to wait until the memory of PS was forgotten so they could return to live in peace. Also, it is quite clear that they needed to hide in space as BIG BATTLE OVA showed that Rochina would find them if they tried to hide on some random planet. Then Shining Heresy showed that even with floating randomly in space they could still be found and forced into battle again. I don't know what subs you watched, but I don't understand how anyone could miss this as it was stated as plainly as possible. Again, please just be pretending.
>>
File: 1353794290535.jpg (72KB, 718x963px) Image search: [Google]
1353794290535.jpg
72KB, 718x963px
>>
>>15868887
My complaint had nothing to do with his stoicism. Please reread it.
>>15868920
>And what did you consider plot armor? Did you wanted the protagonist to just fucking die?
No lol? I'm not talking about Chirico at all, who obviously has enough skill to survive. I'm talking about Chirico's friends, who are fucking goofs. For example, they get captured a bunch in the final ten episodes and just chucklefuck their way out of it each time. Even ZZ's comic relief characters didn't have such regular prominance in near-death experiences and walk out of them unscathed. How am I supposed to take this as a "serious" mecha show when half the regular cast are comic-relief characters who never have anything of gravity happen to them?
>I didn't see any problem with that and is also not unconventional in some stories to what we believed to be the main antagonist to be revealed as just a pawn
Again, you misinterpreted me. I agree, it is totally normal for the main antagonist to be revealed to be a pawn. My complaint was what a stupid bitch the character acted like at the end. He literally started moaning and whining "IT'S NOT FAIR I WANTED THE POWER WAHH" like a five-year-old. The delivery was simply stupid. And this was a guy who was built up over forty episodes, and when he starts having any prominance he doesn't really do anything except stand around in a ship and then acts like a crybaby. It's just poorly done.
>>15868941
>mature
All the villains are borderline mustache twirlers (outside of Epsilon, the one vaguely interesting character) and Chirico's friends act sillier than ZZ's cast typically.
>>15870002
My complaint was that it was stupid to try hiding away by floating around unconscious in the open, and according to
>Shining Heresy showed that even with floating randomly in space they could still be found and forced into battle again
So even the writers saw what a weak idea it was and used it to their advantage.

Also who the fuck is xpearse?
>>
stop replying to xpearse bait threads
>>
File: yang-620x.jpg (21KB, 620x350px) Image search: [Google]
yang-620x.jpg
21KB, 620x350px
>>15870057
>mfw people will dismiss my points because of some boogeyman anon named "xpearse"
>>
Fuck off xpic
>>
>bumping his shit thread again
stop this, xpearse
>>
>>15868956
It's a basic bitch normie argument. People who don't really know classic scifi, who have only seen the 2001 movie, commonly think that every trippy or even slightly similar space opera is automatically a rip off of 2001, because they have no other basis for comparison. It's like the people who have only seen Evangelion saying that Pacific Rim ripped it off, or if someone said that DC:SS is a rip off of Angband. They're not fluent in the genre so they get caught up on superficial elements and mistakenly flaunt their misunderstanding as a real informed opinion in order to feel included.
>>
>>15871177
What is with everyone in this thread making exagerrations? I'm not saying the plot ripped off 2001 because it was trippy or a space opera, I'm specifically talking about a specific scene near the end where Chirico pulls out the cores from Wiseman which slowly kills the computer as Wiseman begs Chirico not to do it. Wiseman's voice even gets slower and deeper as more cores are pulled out. It's a copy of the scene from 2001.

Rewatch the Votoms or 2001 again because you apparently don't remember either very well.
>>
>>15871288
I can't imagine how a thread like this wouldn't be taken seriously
>>
>>15871399
I don't know. I've tried actually having discussions here and instead everyone keeps replying with ad hominems that sometimes aren't even stringed together grammatically.
>>
File: wtffff.gif (1MB, 317x237px) Image search: [Google]
wtffff.gif
1MB, 317x237px
>>15867655
VOTOMS is awesome you fucking fag
>>
>>15867655
>shamelessly rips off scenes from Platoon
>three years before Platoon was released

Great analysis OP.
>>
>>15871288
You can't expect anything other than shit replies to a shit topic. The way I see it, there are two possibilities: one is that you went and watched a fifty episode show just to say that you hate it, or two: you saw the show a long time ago and are just typing up another tired shitpost.

The fact that you leave out any pros and fill your 'criticism' with nitpicked cons and details you didn't personally like, rather than any evaluation of the overarching story, doesn't inspire much confidence in your identity as anything other than a shitposter.

Exaggerations? Give me a fucking break
>stretches it over 20 episodes
>the protagonists have the most intense plot armor I've seen in a real robot show
>this happens every four episodes
>/m/ praises this show to high heaven
>because floating around frozen out in the open

In any case, you make the mistake of most shiternet critics. You spit a statement with nothing to back it up, preferring to say "this falls flat", "this doesn't work", "I didn't like this". The result is that you've typed up a scattered, meaningless wall of greentext that sounds more like a juvenile whine than it does an intelligent response to anything. The flaws of VOTOMs are well known. All you've done is reiterate some of what's been said on /m/ for years, add hyperbole and a few random gripes, and then parade around screaming "muh opnion", as if the show deserves criticism but the shit you type doesn't.
>>
>>15871652
Simmer down. I literally watched this anime half a week ago, and this is exactly what I've observed. When was the last time you've wached it?

You could actually disprove my complaints instead of pontificating. I mean I think this thread speaks for itself when I'm trying to have a normal discussion and everyone starts cussing and freaking out writing paragraph long posts.

>>15871588
My bad, should've said The Deer Hunter concerning the roulette scene and Apocalypse Now concerning the village burning. Get my 'nam films mixed up.
>>
>>15871562
I totally believe you. Also, are you the same person who made that New Getter thread recently?
>>
don't respond to xpearse shitposts
>>
>>15867756
This desu. I don't understand how people can like it. I'm struggling to finish it is so bad.
>>
>>15868235
>what the hell
Back in your hole digibro.
>>
>>15870064
>xpearse
>not valvrager >clawshrimpy >every historical shit poster on /m/ or >digibro bullshit
You would think you autistic retards would get it by now. Preaching like something is factually shit is not constructive criticism.

I haven't even seen Votoms and you piss me off.
>>
>>15867655
Nice try buddy
>>
>>15873249
>Preaching like something is factually shit is not constructive criticism
What? And who are all these random shitposters? And when did I say Votoms was factually shit? I just stated my opinions with actual examples unlike everyone else in this thread that is obsessed with bringing up no-name namefags and passionately crusading for a fucking 80s kid's toy commercial cartoon.
>>
>>15874467
lel
>>
>>15874974
umad bro?
>>
>a deus ex machina is bad
>>
>>15876030
No. u?
>>
>>15871681
You realize that 'nam village burnings did not start on film? They started in real life, dumbass, and people heard about them on the news.

>>15874467
Stop being a diva. Plenty of people in this thread either agreed with you or had relatively benign, intelligent responses. Getting triggered and replying to bait just means you ruined your own thread. If you really wanted to be convinced that /m/ loved VOTOMS too much, you did a good job by making an ass of yourself and inviting more criticism of you than of the show itself.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.