[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In what order should one watch Space Battleship Yamato? I'd

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

In what order should one watch Space Battleship Yamato? I'd like to see the original first and then the reboot or whatever it is. The order seems bit confusing to me.
>>
>>15865771
You can pretty much watch the original and then pass to 2199 if you want. 2199 does have some nods and references to other entries of the series, but nothing that will spoil if you dont know them.

The better would be to watch the "Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato" after watching the original show. Than, if you want to continue, watch the second series, followed by "The New Voyage" movie, "Be Forever Yamato" movie and then the "Final Yamato" movie. You can pretty much skip the third series, and only watch if you really want to.

We really needed a chart for SBS Yamato, it would be pretty useful.
>>
>>15865819
Another alternative might be to watch the Yamato compilation movie instead of the first series, then Farewell. I can't vouch for it personally, but I've heard good things about it.
After that either go back and watch the second series, and so on as recommended, or go on to 2199 (I might say the latter would be a better option, given that the second series is an adaptation of Farewell with a less finalistic ending, so watching it straight after Farewell might be a bit repetitive).
>>
You watch the original and 2199 afterwards. The original is already bad enough as it is, the follow up seasons only become worse and even more nonsensical. You shouldnt waste more time than necessary on this franchise.
>>
Production order.

The answer is always production order.
>>
2199 sucks balls. No drama, no soul. Just flashy CGI Mech colle ships on a string, hyper space battles for childish star wars fans.
>>
>>15865771
>In what order should one watch Space Battleship Yamato? I'd like to see the original first and then the reboot or whatever it is. The order seems bit confusing to me.

Watch Yamato 2199 and its sequel.
Forget about the original series it ain't that good anyway. If you really need to immerse yourself in the 1970s go watch the first Yamato feature film and maybe the second. That'll be more than enough.
>>
>>15866214
No he need to watch the original so he can actually see how fucking mediocre it is compared to the reinterpretation. Its also necessary for him to realize that it wasnt Xebec who added the fanservice, but that it was always present.
>>
Yamato (1st season or compilation movies) - > "Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato"

Yamato (2nd season, a remake of the Farewell movie with a very different ending) - > "The New Voyage" movie -> "Be Forever Yamato" -> Yamato (3rd season) -> Final Yamato

>>15865825
The 2nd season is an all around improvement on the 1st, if you overlook the obvious retcon necessary to make it work (inhabitable planets are extremely rare in the original which is even one of the causes for the conflict vs life appears everywhere in the universe). They introduce conflict within humanity and the setting is just more consistent than in the first season (at least within itself, like I said, it contradicts a big point of the 1st season).

"The New Voyage" and "Be Forever Yamato" are trash, but solve some loose plot threads from the first season although in the cheapest way possible.

The 3rd tv series is pretty irrelevant overall, and doesn't do much new, but it's not bad either.

Final Yamato's premise really annoys me, but it's executed well.
>>
>>15866223
The 2nd series also is less episodic than the first one, which can get some rather random battles once they leave the solar system, while the 2nd season pretty much everything is part of different arcs and there's rarely completely standalone stories.
>>
2199 did it for me and I never really felt the need/urge to go back and watch the original. I'm sure there is a good amount more of explanation and character development in it. 2199 just seemed to hit enough of the major points that never caused me to feel like I was missing something TOO big to misunderstand something.
>>
>>15866223
>or compilation movies
No, that is not an acceptable alternative and fuck you for suggesting it. Luckily OP seems like he has a genuine interest in the show and won't consider such a copout suggestion.
>>
>>15865771
1st series (Quest for Iscandar)
2nd series (The Comet Empire)
1st movie (Yamato: The New Voyage)
2nd movie (Be Forever Yamato)
3rd series (The Bolar Wars)
3rd movie (Final Yamato)
4th movie (Yamato: Resurrection)

Everything else is non-canon, a summary movie, or the 2199 reboot.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.