[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Designing the Space Navy and Doctrine of a Type III Civilisation.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 4

File: ca6e68020ec0eaac66fda0188412f00b.jpg (217KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
ca6e68020ec0eaac66fda0188412f00b.jpg
217KB, 1680x1050px
/tg/ here.

I'm running a campaign in a setting where the second leading faction (Type III Kardashev) not only regularly fights (as a matter of state policy) against planet-eating and occasionally even system-eating cosmic abominations but just as often decisively defeats them, because of their fleet - "The Fleet is our Plasteel Wall". By the end of the campaign, there will be a galaxy/local cluster -size abomination to deal with and which their complacency will hurt them.[/spoilers]

I just need a bit of help visualizing their space navy and the type of flavor text I want to use to describe them - I want /m/'s help to form a bigger picture of the "Plasteel Wall". With that said, I've got a vague idea of what they do - the smaller mosaic pieces of the picture I want to form with /m/.

* They use a mixture of directed energy weapons and solid projectiles.

* They're designing a generation of capital ships with engines powered by mobile dyson spheres with Sun-sized stars.

* They've got special vessels that allow them to destroy stars by making them go supernova - they have a whole flotilla of them and they're analogous to the Cold War's nuclear stockpiles, meant as WMDs rather than standard fare.

*They regularly destroy planet-sized abominations and occasionally system-sized abominations, deploying independent cruisers and flotillas respectively. Their losses are generally minimal.

* Their battleships can lay ruins to an Earth-like planet in a manner of seconds.

* Officers can directly control the ship by connecting through a direct neural interface.

*They're researching a superweapon which is their supernova generators taken to the logical extreme - it first destroys a star, but manages to control the resulting supernova in such a way that it sends FTL energy to neighboring stars turning them supernova, which in turn repeat the process until the last programmed cycle or ad infinitum.
>>
File: 1492900479659.jpg (3MB, 6000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1492900479659.jpg
3MB, 6000x3000px
>>15851242
What's the general feeling of look you are aiming for? Since these ships are fuckhuge they can pretty much lose most detail and simply be geometrical shapes unless the faction is feeling fancy in dressing their ships with gas giant sized hood ornaments. The look of the ships can tell a lot about the faction.

But yeah, the general feeling. Standard blocky, blocky with greeble (star wars), blocky with fancy greeble (40k), smooth and sleek, sleek with fancy greeble?
>>
File: Liberty.jpg (65KB, 476x366px) Image search: [Google]
Liberty.jpg
65KB, 476x366px
>>15851320
I'm envisioning them as blocky with slight but not opulent neoclassical greeble and soothing colors like blue and white - they're a liberal-democratic republic in space. Not only can they fight the enemy, but they can also afford to have aesthetically yet functionally pleasing features. They're tools of hard power but they're also statements of cultural power.

Additionally, they're more than simple short-term combat platforms - they're meant to be able to stock enough provisions for regular intergalactic journeys.

The Liberty-class' aesthetics from Infinite Space and the Hyperion's functionality from LOGH is the compromise I'm envisioning.
>>
File: 48789759.gif (53KB, 1100x201px) Image search: [Google]
48789759.gif
53KB, 1100x201px
>>15851242
I think the design slant/preferences of the faction has little to do with their capabilities and more of how you want them to be portrayed. And even if they're adorned with spikes and colored in jet-black with red highlights, it can be as simple as going along with the main physical appearances they have as a species, and nothing more. Even for a faction that, eg. uses ships mainly shaped with various curved surfaces, you can choose to keep it as it is or break it up with exposed portions that show very haphazard detailing/extra segments on the surface, like Zentradi battleships, for example.

>>15851353
If you have a general direction of design in mind, then it may be easier to work on it by incorporating the features a ship is supposed to have, with the general shape it's supposed to be. Sometimes functional aesthetic might not be easily represented by just the external of the ship; it may be well-fitted for off-duty relaxation but such features wouldn't be immediately visible, unless, say for example, the ship carries observation towers that are usually empty or folded down during combat operations, but which are left up when its cruising around.
>>
Independent campaign? I could help?
The technology is childsplay but I could inspire hopefully
>>
>>15851242
shut up, NERD
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.