[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which Gundam AU did a better job of reeling in new Gundam fans?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

File: bael.webm (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
bael.webm
1MB, 1280x720px
>>
>>15848493
Technically SEED but probably for the wrong reasons.
>>
>>15848493
In order:
SEED
Wing
The rest of the AUs have been irrelevant in terms of bringing in new fans

>AGE was designed to bring in young fans
>it was hot garbage.
>>
>>15848500

Wing might have too, just because it was first to air in the US and exposed a good chunk of the American fan base to it for the first time.
>>
>>15848500
Wouldn't that be Wing because of the US airing? Did Seed air there too?
>>
File: Discogun.jpg (30KB, 296x218px) Image search: [Google]
Discogun.jpg
30KB, 296x218px
>>15848517
Yea, SEED aired in the US with LASER GUNS!! Luckily for me, I already watched it subbed by that point
>>
File: images (12).jpg (14KB, 196x258px) Image search: [Google]
images (12).jpg
14KB, 196x258px
SEED's influence is so insidious that it has its own UC spinoff now. Pic related.
>>
File: 1110048506407.jpg (62KB, 720x536px) Image search: [Google]
1110048506407.jpg
62KB, 720x536px
>>15848522
>this show about the horror of war is too violent. tone it down!
>i got your back, rabbi
>>
>>15848510
>it was hot garbage.
Still better than Iron Blooded Ovaries
>>
Seed, Wing, 00, IBO, G in that order.
>>
SEED.
>>
>>15848687
You're not wrong but you do need to stop posting.
>>
SEED,00, IBO brought in a shit ton of newbie fans globally, but they were mostly casuals and didn't stay beyond the show that brought them on.

Wing was an oddball unicorn that brought in the entire u.s. market but didn't seem to resonate anywhere else in the world on the same level.
>>
>>15848763
Wing aired on Toonami back when anime was making its mainstream breakthrough in the US and had the just right amount of teenage edginess.
I don't think that it earned the franchise more diehard fans than SEED or 00 did though. One can discover their love of giant robots (or pseudo-political blabber) through pretty much anything.
>>
>>15848511
>>15848517
It had a major impact in the US, yes, but somewhat less so in Japan, where Gundam was already a major staple. It's certainly the one that stands out the most of the 90's Gundam series, but I'd probably still rank it below SEED since that one literally pulled Gundam out from the rut it was in due to X and Turn A.
>>
>>15848687
Why do people call Unicorn the UC's "SEED" there aren't any similarities between the two plotwise or in the other aspects of production.
>>
>>15848522
>Luckily for me, I already watched it subbed by that point

Yeah I was really invested in Assslam and Lux's story
>>
>>15849481
There are similarities in outlook, structure and target audience.
>>
>>15848493
Gundam 00 was the first Gundam series I watched.
>>
>>15849481
>antagonist/rival is friend
>one of them steals the other's girl
>muh nihilism Char clone (literally)
>the ULTIMATE newtype
>YOU ONLY HAD TO UNDERSTANDU
>>
File: neato.jpg (82KB, 913x720px) Image search: [Google]
neato.jpg
82KB, 913x720px
>>15848687
Now I get it.
>>
>>15848500
>>15848510
>>15848511
>>15848517
>SEED
For Japan yes but not for the US where it flopped bad enough that they didn't even bother to air Destiny in the US though it was a hit in Canada.
>Wing
Definitely in the US but its not remembered fondly. Really Wing's success is largely attributed to it being the first than the show itself
>00
Came out in the US when the bubble burst and aired on SyFy and this was before streaming became big so nobody cared
>>15848727
>>15848763
>IBO
Didn't really move anything in the US despite the desperate pushing from Banrise. Did poorly on Toonami but apparently did very well stream wise (though it was on 4 different platforms)
>G
Unlike Wing its remembered more fondly and gained a second life thanks to meme culture and people realizing that Wing wasn't good.

Surprise people didn't bring up GBF which we actually saw had an effect on the market and reviving interest into the franchise in the US that it convinced Banrise to try again with the international market and was also among Rightstuf's top selling releases last year.
>>
>>15848522
>>15848693
So wait what were the scenes with people fucking exploding like? Did they just cut them?
>>
>>15849487
Are you telling me that those aren't better romanisations than that totally unphonetic official mess? Fuck Ath (i bit my tounge) ran and Lacusisusu.

Old ZZ fansubs did names better too.
>>
>>15848493
Uni-
>AU
Oh. Wing, SEED and 00 then.
IBO attracted the seasonal watchers who look down on the rest of the franchise for not being enough of MUH GRITTY WAR DRAMA
>>
>>15849592
>Surprise people didn't bring up GBF which we actually saw had an effect on the market and reviving interest into the franchise in the US

GBF did not bring in new fans.
>>
>>15849608
Can't remember really. If I recall it was pulled from Toonami halfway through
>>
Wing, SEED and 00, it's fact, those are accurately the ones that got more casuals and female viewers.
>>
>>15850210
>GBF did not bring in new fans.
It did.
>>
>>15850211
It wasn't pulled entirely, they just moved it to something like 2am where it finished it's run. The final episodes were uncut.

But yeah, Canada treated SEED better hence why we got Destiny. Wonder if Destiny's performance was the reason we didn't get 00, but it was most likely the move to Syfy,
>>
>>15850210
GBF brought in a shitload of new fans and did better than any Gundam series that was released last year
>>
>>15848493
Are you talking about the US or Japan because if its the former the only right answer is Wing anyone saying SEED and 00 are retarded since neither of them did well in the US.
>>
>>15850227
>It wasn't pulled entirely, they just moved it to something like 2am where it finished it's run
That's being pulled. They did the same thing with the 2nd season of IGPX and moved it to a dead slot
>>
>>15849592
>Unlike Wing its remembered more fondly and gained a second life thanks to meme culture and people realizing that Wing wasn't good.
Where? G still gets no merchandise unlike Seed, Wing and 00.

>>15850315
Yu Yu Hakusho too. It was weird for it to go from airing at 5-6PM to airing at 2AM. Seed always aired at night because it didn't come over until Toonami was only on Saturday nights.
>>
>>15850345
>G still gets no merchandise
G does have merchandise retard.
>>
>>15850345
>Seed always aired at night because it didn't come over until Toonami was only on Saturday nights.
SEED started airing when Toonami moved to Saturday nights but it bombed there so they moved it to the then dead timeslot of late night Friday next to the rest of Cyborg 009
>>
>>15849592
You have a very narrow view of accessibility.

SEED did fucking amazing in many countries outside Japan including the U.S. because that was the Gundam that was around at the time of Kazaa, limewire, etc. on all those P2p sites. It was literally Baby's first Gundam for many people. The official releases very few cared about because by the time it came out everyone had already seen fansubs of the thing. But this meme where SEED isn't popular outside Japan needs to die. It is horribly popular.

>Wing
>Definitely in the US but its not remembered fondly.
>not remembered fondly

yeah that's wrong. You clearly have never been to any Sunrise panel in the U.S. Wing is consistently the loudest most enthusiasticly received Gundam no matter what. It is clearly remembered fondly even if that memory is dead wrong

>IBO
Didn't really move anything in the US despite the desperate pushing from Banrise. Did poorly on Toonami but apparently did very well stream wise (though it was on 4 different platforms)

IBO sold more kits than GBF did both in Japan and the U.S. and had a larger effect on bringing back legacy GunPla builders and brought in an even larger audience which don't even like robots. It also performed just fine on Toonami. What didn't perform well on Toonami was Gundam Unicorn.

>Surprise people didn't bring up GBF which we actually saw had an effect on the market and reviving interest into the franchise in the US that it convinced Banrise to try again with the international market and was also among Rightstuf's top selling releases last year.

That's because it didn't bring anyone new to Gundam. It brought back a dormant group of people who were already familiar with Gundam but hadn't seen anything Gundam related for years.
>>
>>15850521
>IBO sold more kits than GBF did both in Japan and the U.S.
Citation?
>>
>>15850235
GBF didn't bring in many new fans because it was highly inaccessible to those who weren't familiar with all the Gundam memes that kept being thrown around every episode and that it was too obviously close to Gundam's merchandise aspect. This is why they created Build Fighters Try which had almost no references to any previous Gundam and was extremely accessible to anyone. They clearly underestimated how important the Gundam-centric and merchandise-centric aspect was for the first season though because very people watched this show.

Basically it didn't attract normalfags who like GRIMDARK MAH REALISM I'M A MATURE PERSON WHO DON'T BUY TOYS. (The type of hypocritical silly fans that IBO brought in)
>>
>>15848700
It wasn't. Not by a long shot. AGE is the worst gundam entry to date
>>
>>15849592
Yea, but OP wasn't talking about the US. SEED is what saved/revived Gundam (for better or for worse).
>>
>>15850521
>It also performed just fine on Toonami.
Cool story. So what, the 300k drops in ratings before Jojo came along meant it was doing fine?
>>
>>15849608
>Did they just cut them?
I wish(honestly those random scenes of hyper violence are the one thing really keeping me from rewatching SEED)
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.