[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tomino: Hayao Miyazaki was the real inspiration behind Mobile

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: miyazaki.jpg (47KB, 500x346px) Image search: [Google]
miyazaki.jpg
47KB, 500x346px
>I also met Mr. Hayao Miyazaki around this time and he really loved animation and how to approach mecha type stories. Until then I had never thought about playwriting for animation. It was a really great period of study for me.
>Obviously, I didn't come up with the idea for the Minovsky particle all on my own. I discussed with my staff and explained my requirements and they came up with this solution. However, this was a key point in making a story set in space, which is mostly empty, have more of an impact as to its cinematic effect.
>These things as well as everything I learned from Mr. Miyazaki in terms of characterisation and how to build characters, not to mention the various other theatrical and dramatic elements that I learned from Mr. Takahata. If I hadn't met these two individuals and learned all these elements from them, then it's very likely that Mobile Suit Gundam would not have turned out in the same way.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2017/03/13/yoshiyuki-tomino-on-gundam-newtypes-and-the-perilous-future-facing-humanity/#891be124b8af
>>
>>15843034
>(((Forbes)))
Nice fake news
>>
>>15843034
>he really loved animation and how to approach mecha type stories

Didn't Miyazaki say all mecha anime were a mistake at one point?
>>
>>15843635
The first anime was mecha so therefore all anime is a mistake
>>
>>15843635
No.

>the protagonist jumps in a giant machine he couldn’t possibly have created on his own, battles the enemy in it, and then boasts about winning. For me, in a truly successful mecha show, the protagonist should struggle to build his own machine, he should fix it when it breaks down, and he should have to operate it himself.
>>
>>15843643
what
>>
How about you quit yapping and get us that G-Reco movie released, old man?
>>
>Tomino has nothing but nice things to say about Miyazaki

>Miyazaki has an interview where he goes on a tirade about Mobile Suit Gundam (and Yamato)

Really gets my neurons firin'.
>>
>What I mean by this is that I don't want to be a producer that is only capable of making something like the films made based on Marvel Comics properties, which from my point of view is very silly.

Will /tv/ ever recover?
>>
>>15844336
/tv/ hates Marvel and modern Disney.
>>
>>15843679
Well, that would be a pretty neat show. Bonus points if it breaks down irreparably 5 episodes before the finale and has to be cannibalized for makeshift weaponry.
>>
>>15844319
Miyazaki is a hack with an overinflated ego
>>
File: miyazakill.jpg (74KB, 655x360px) Image search: [Google]
miyazakill.jpg
74KB, 655x360px
>>15843034
>>
>>15843679
So, Kamille? Hell even Amuro repaired the Gundam and tried to "teach" the computer it by simulating battles.

>>15844350
This. Ghibli has some good stuff but a lot of it, like Howl's Moving Castle, is just shlock. I like anime and all but some creators are getting ahead of themselves and think the medium is something more serious and significant than it actually is, or even that it needs to be. Tomino's an ass about some stuff too but he's well known for being self-deprecating so I don't get the sense he's pompous about it.
>>
>>15844379
>I hate Miyazaki because he doesn't make the lowest common denominator garbage that I enjoy

Least you're honest.
>>
>>15844384
>>15844384
>>I hate Miyazaki because he doesn't make the lowest common denominator garbage that I enjoy
> he doesn't make the lowest common denominator garbage that I enjoy

Except he does? My entire point is that his stuff is in the same vein and some of it is just outright shlock like flavor of the month shows. He's basically a mainstream band that thinks they're musically significant.
>>
>>15844405
>flavor of the month
>Miyazaki

That's probably the dumbest criticism I've ever read about Miyazaki. His work is old school as fuck.
>>
>>15844379
This quote was from 79, allegedly.
>>
>>15843679
So he hates Toku shit.
>>
File: 2nukes2few.gif (2MB, 410x230px) Image search: [Google]
2nukes2few.gif
2MB, 410x230px
>>15843643
This is fact
>>
>>15845644
He looks pretty fucking good for a smoker.
>>
>>15843079
Ironic shitposting is still shitposting
>>
>>15844350
I really don't get why people love this old fuck's movies. Miyazaki's name doesn't automatically equal an Oscar!
>>
Why is Miyazaki such an asshole?
>>
>>15843681
astro boy was the first anime
>>
Miyazaki and Anno are literally the same person.
>>
File: hayao.png (36KB, 614x320px) Image search: [Google]
hayao.png
36KB, 614x320px
>>15843034
>he really loved animation and how to approach mecha type stories
wait, what? his approach to mecha was to not do it.
>>
>>15846904
>Superseded by the tide of mutant evolution
What a hack. He copied Tomino's newtype
>>
File: movieposter.jpg (29KB, 279x402px) Image search: [Google]
movieposter.jpg
29KB, 279x402px
>>15846904
>that passage
The delusional is powerful. Post-nuclear nature sci-fi world was an incredibly common theme in the 70s and 80s.
>>
>>15846904
>like "The Flinstones" reimagined by a Zen gardener

Passages like this should get you banned from ever writing reviews.
>>
>>15846904
See, I have zero problems with Miyazaki's work or even some of his opinions, but his moronic fanbase like this, who champion him as the greatest artist who ever lived without knowing shit about any of the genres they talk about, never ceases to make my blood boil.
>>
>>15846904
>juvenile purple prose, hero cock-sucking, and a complete ignorance of the contemporary pop culture at the time

Reminder that Char is right in wanting to wipe out Earthnoids.
>>
>>15846953
Agree. In my opinion he is really good in his job in animation, but people tend to put him in a pedestal and overate his films in such a way that is insufferable. I believe that in part this happens because his works somehow distance themselves, since the 80's, from which westerners generally view as anime. Like a Kurosawa of animation; his works take much influence in western sources and this generates a higher degree of familiarity and acceptance in said public.

I also think that people generally unjustly shits on his son. Goro directional work is pretty decent for a guy graduated in agriculture and with much less experience than his father had when he started directing.
>>
>>15844410
Not that anon but he did use the word "like" before "flavor of the month shows." Has by any chance an excess of shallow Miyazaki films caused irreparable damage to your reading comprehension capabilities?
>>
>>15846904
>not posting the whole article

https://www.filmcomment.com/article/organic-machine-the-world-of-hayao-miyazaki/
>>
>>15846904
miyazaki just aped moebius and a whole bunch of other french sci fi comic artists styles. fuck miyazaki
>>
>>15844350
>Responsible for both Tomino and Anno
>Several of his films are the highest grossing Japanese films ever
>International acclaim
>Single-handedly kept a notable studio afloat for decades and it closed after his departure
>Consistently produces genuinely good films
Perhaps he has earned the right to have something of an ego?
>>
File: the-wind-rises.jpg (127KB, 680x478px) Image search: [Google]
the-wind-rises.jpg
127KB, 680x478px
The one thing I like about Miyazaki is that he still uses a visual style reminiscent of pre-80s anime. They're simpler and cartoonish, but aren't avant-garde rectangles like modern American cartoons.
As far as his work goes, he's good. He's obviously a high level director with a distinctive style and consistent results. To me, he's like a Japanese Steven Spielberg in terms of his ability to appeal to normies and hobbyists alike. He tends to be overrated, but that's to be expected since he captures such a large casual audience.
>>
>>15847386
>i recognized someones inspiration and therefore they are a hack
>>
>>15847433
>he's like a Japanese Steven Spielberg in terms of his ability to appeal to normies and hobbyists alike.

Nailed it.
>>
>>15846904
I've said it before and I've said it again, normies like Miyazaki for all the wrong reasons. At the very least the faggot writing that article didn't insert anything about "muh strong female characters" like 90% of the crap written about Miyazaki nowadays.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.