[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This show is literally unwatchable due to shit animation.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 215
Thread images: 21

File: tumblr_msufm7bdXM1s3e0fwo1_500.gif (1014KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_msufm7bdXM1s3e0fwo1_500.gif
1014KB, 500x375px
>>
>>15829001
But that scene looks great.
>>
File: 1451905134921.webm (322KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1451905134921.webm
322KB, 1280x720px
>>
>>15829001
The animation goes off model a lot but it more than makes up for it with excellent direction. Just look at that gif, any individual frame of it would look pretty bad but taken as a whole it's very dynamic and exciting.
>>
File: BrightRyu2.gif (61KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
BrightRyu2.gif
61KB, 256x192px
>>15829001
>caring about animation quality
>>
>>15829015
and it manages to still look better than SEED regardless of how many times they remaster it.
>>
That's one of my favorite scenes in the show, and it's pretty well animated.
>>
>>15829001

Better than current toei/sunrise
>>
File: 1449993347343.webm (3MB, 680x385px) Image search: [Google]
1449993347343.webm
3MB, 680x385px
>>15829151
Current Sunrise
https://youtu.be/DlgdyrvoxI4
Current Toei
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsonVI2FVhg

Looks far superior than that old stuff to me.
>>
>>15829001
Can you guys take your fucking nostalgia goggles off? 0079 is a great show but it's really brought down by it's shitty 70's animation. It may be better written than anything we have today but that doesn't excuse it's shitty animation that's peppered with cut corners and laziness.
If they remastered 0079 completely with new animation and the same writing it would be definitively the best show in the Mobile Suit Gundam franchise. But as of now, it isn't.
>>
>>15829200

shut up OP
>>
>>15829200
>If they remastered 0079 completely with new animation and the same writing it would be definitively the best show in the Mobile Suit Gundam franchise
What about War in the Pocket
>>
>>15829175
This is a movie.
>>
>>15829001
The direction and choreography makes up for it. Amuro's fights are always fun to watch
>>
>>15829239
I thought it was an episode of Thunderbolt?
>>
>>15829011
>YEEART
>>
>>15829239
An ova but yeah basically.
>>
>>15829239
And this is TV animation.
>>
>>15829001
gif unrelated? That's a cool moment.
>>
>>15829259
MSG had some really dynamic choreographed fights, a lot of iconic sequences.
>>
>>15829175
Don't undersell old Toei.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8QrzypoGek
>>
>>15829299
INFERNO COOOOOOOOP!
>>
>>15829200

It's not really that shitty, it's pretty good for the time. It's just old.

If you can't deal with old animation that's fine, but don't expect everyone else to be as fucking picky as you. Nostalgia goggles? What the fuck are you on about, this shit aired in 1979 in fucking Japan and didn't come to the US until the late 90s. The vast majority of /m/ (me included) watched 0079 in their late teens to early 20s, there's no nostalgia here, I genuinely enjoyed the show and the animation didn't bug me at all.
>>
>>15829200
If you're judging a show made four decades ago with same standards as shows made today, then you only have yourself to blame for your own stupidity
>>
HURR DURR WHY IS CHRONO TRIGGER CONSIDERED A GREAT GAME WHEN FFXV HAS MUCH BETTER GRAPHICS
>>
>>15829299
DOMO, GANDAMU BARBATOS DESU
>>
>>15829337
Most Tomino directed Gundam do.
>MSG
>Zeta with the Asshimar fight and The O fight
>CCA duel
>Victory despite the awful shading
>Turn A, the few fights are great and distinct
>G-Reco, I won't judge the rest but fights were very dynamic and well done
Even Daitarn 3 for being a super robot show had good direction throughout.
>>
>>15829299
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought this
>>
>>15829429
This desu
>>
File: IMG_7669.gif (634KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7669.gif
634KB, 500x281px
>>15829333
FUHHHH
also nice trips mang
>>
File: This looks like a turd.webm (930KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
This looks like a turd.webm
930KB, 1280x720px
>>15829011
>>
To me MSG animation was pretty good because you can tell they were trying their hardest despite the budget strain.
Lots of iconic scenes too
>Gundam first fight without weapons vs the Zaku II
>Char's Zaku II vs Gundam, the kick and him disappearing from the sights
>The re-entry scene, so good it was forced into every Gundam series ever since
>the fight vs Ramba Ral
>The fight vs the Tri-Stars and the spring board
>Char Z'Gok vs the GM in Jaburo
>vs Char on Texas Colony, very dynamic for its times
>the triple duel with Lalah, Char and Amuro with the first tripping balls vision
>the duel at A Baoa Q and all the frantic scenes of real warfare between GM, Balls and various Zeon suits fighting desperately
Hell I can't recall a modern series of the 10's with the same sheer number of GOAT scenes.
>>
>>15829200
It is enough for me to rate the series a 9/10 rather than a 10/10. The rustic feeling of that style of art and animation works just fine in my opinion though - the story itself is so 70s Sci Fi that I wouldn't want to see it even with high quality 80s ova art, despite my preference for that style. it's just that 0079 had some particularly egregious issues with consistency in their modeling. Many 70s TV anime even looked better than it in that regard. But the art and especially the visual directing itself is top notch, and there isn't anything particularly wrong with the animation itself.
>>
>>15829429
This. I watched it for the first time three years ago. I thought it was phenomenal, and just considered the silly animation and off-model goofs to be inherent to the period and actually rather charming.
>>
>>15829333
is this build fighters or somethin
>>
Fuck you OP I wish there were more speedlines and thick lines in modern anime.
>>
>>15829473

>just considered the silly animation and off-model goofs to be inherent to the period and actually rather charming.

If you can't do this kind of abstracting when watching a show from 30 years ago you're autistic.

What's the point of this fucking thread?
>>
>>15829429
>It's not really that shitty, it's pretty good for the time. It's just old.
Are you sure about that? I watched Grendizer all the way through and I didn't think the animation was as bad as Gundam 79.

Just look at this battle. It's pretty competently animated for the time, and that was before Gundam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q-roYiXW30
>>
>>15829483
Bring back hatching as well please. Those manga esq touches make everything feel allot grittier and more immersive. I get why you would want a cute girls doing cute things show to be totally clean looking - but robots are machines, presumably piloted by people without perfectly clean complexions, and action comes off as more visceral if it feels like there is more texture.
>>
>>15829489

There's not a single scene in the fight that is as dynamic and fluid as the best parts of 0079. Did you really watch it all?
>>
>>15829489
>Koji in Grendizer
STOP IT IT HUUUURTS TO SEE HIM LIKE THAT
>>
>>15829489

Watch that side to side with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyHe_iCmKx8

and then tell me again that's better than 0079.
>>
>>15829495
Isn't that more so due to Tomino's action directing though ?
>>
>>15829500
Way less stock footage, more dynamic "camera" angles instead of static angles all the time, earth AND sky AND White Base as background, the Gundam fight is much more complex.
>>
>>15829500
>Ramba Ral just pushes a piece of melting hot Steel with his hands like that
Damn I forgot how much of a badass he was.
>>
>>15829495
>>15829500
>dynamic and fluid
>and then tell me again that's better than 0079.
Yes, I will, I hated all the fights in 0079 with the exception of the one you posted, that is the one against Ramba ral.

If dynamic and fluid means it can't stay on model, then i'm not interested. It was the same shit with Sunrise's Zambot 3's animation and I had trouble watching that.

I basically went through the entirety of Mazinger's trilogy, with the exception of Great Mazinger because it's not subbed, but Toei's actual animation of giant robots is just more entertaining. I hate the beamspams and just plain weird direction of the fights in Tomino's stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EWIdztbvJ8
>>
>>15829507
Check >>15829366 this out.

Granted this is a movie, but the fight is still better in my opinion. You post Rambal Ral, so it's only fair I pos a major fight too, not just a random mook.

And that one came out in 1974.

As for UC Gundam, the fights got even worse with Zeta.
>>
>>15829513

You're letting your personal enjoyment of those scenes cloud your judgement. The animation is perfectly fine for the time, and the direction is near perfect.

I really like classic Mazinger too, but they're just fun robot wrestling cartoons. There's nothing in them that gets as technically impressive as the greatest 0079 scenes. Despite the animation budget not being that high, the direction in 0079 makes those scenes timeless.
>>
>>15829526
I wasn't talking about Mazinger, but Grendizer which is later, and has better production values.

You do realise that Grendizer has a lot of air battles, and those make for excellent dynamic battle scenes, and at least this time, they stay on model.

Gundam 79's choreography is just pure shit outside a few fights like the one with Ramba Ral, and even then, the direction is just plain fucking weird. Like seriously, I'm really not impressed with anything from Tomino's giant robot battles, and I watched shit loads of Tomino.

Where they got mecha choreography right for Sunrise was with Votoms and some Dougram, but really nothing from Tomino.
>>
>>15829001
Your post is literally unreadable due to shit opinion.
>>
>>15829530

>Gundam 79's choreography is just pure shit outside a few fights like the one with Ramba Ral

Gundam fights are okay for most fights, and excellent for the big ones. It's just not as flashy as a Super Robot show, because it wasn't trying to be that at all.
>>
>>15829557
Too often, people look at stuff older than Gundam, and think they couldn't possibly be better, but unfortunately, from what I've seen, many 70s shows do indeed have better fights than those of Gundam. There was nothing special about Gundam 79 in terms of choreography. There were no breakthroughs.

Tomino was shit at battle choreography, and is still shit today. Zeta had some of the worst fights I've ever seen, and its huge budget didn't help at all. Of course it won't, because as long as Tomino is at the helm of these fights, things never got better.

Heck, look at G Reco. Amazing budget, amazing art, amazing character and mech designs, yet, the fights were trite, and I'm saying this with all respect to Tomino. I watch a lot of his shit, but I'm constantly surprised at just how bad he is when it comes to basic mecha fights, when shows from the 70s that weren't directed by him did just fine.

>It's just not as flashy as a Super Robot show
That's kinda irrelevant. Good choreography remains the same regardless of the flashiness, and Tomino is just incompetent.
>>
I mean, praise Gundam 79 for its concept you want, but when you start telling me that Gundam was a breakthrough in terms of battle choreography, just get the hell outta here.

And let me just put it out there,

Toei's Tomoharu Katsumata was just a far more competent and responsible director, whether it was the Mazinger trilogy or his work on Captain Harlock's Arcadia of Youth.
>>
>>15829560

You are, again, letting your personal opinion get in the way of being objective.

The action direction in Tomino's mecha shows is very highly regarded, you just don't enjoy it.

Saying there were no breakthroughs when it was the premiere Real Mecha show is fucking retarded. Few, if any shows before it made mecha fights feel like an actual military skirmish between giant war machines. I'm not saying it was the best animated TV show of its time, but it was very competently directed and the action was very visceral and grounded for what was to be expected of a giant robot anime.

It's fine if you don't enjoy it, but your taste is not objective, and claiming that Tomino is incompetent is just a really fucking inorant thing to say.
>>
>>15829573
>but when you start telling me that Gundam was a breakthrough in terms of battle choreography, just get the hell outta here.

It literally created a whole new genre
>>
>>15829573
>I mean, praise Gundam 79 for its concept you want, but when you start telling me that Gundam was a breakthrough in terms of battle choreography, just get the hell outta here.
It left a mark so wide and so deep in Japanese animation its scenes get parodied or homaged in one way or another EVERY NEW SEASON of anime, for 30 years.

Later Gundam series were forced to have a re-entry scene, a desert scene and a newtypes clash scene because of how well the original is received among fans.
Considering you have called G-Reco animation shit I'm fairly sure you're trolling as G-Reco had a lot of problems but animation wasn't one of those, it still shits on everything else Sunrise has done ever since(on tv, not counting OVAS like Thunderbolt) and IBO too.
>>
>>15829580
>You are, again, letting your personal opinion get in the way of being objective.
No, I think you're placing too much importance on Gundam 79, probably because you're a massive Gundam fan and you can't look at things objectively.

>The action direction in Tomino's mecha shows is very highly regarded, you just don't enjoy it.
It's really not. Don't lie please. His action hasn't evolved in 30 years, whether it was Daitarn 3, Zambot 3, Gundam, Dunbine, Xabungle, G Reco, you name it. It's all the same it's ever been.

>Saying there were no breakthroughs when it was the premiere Real Mecha show is fucking retarded
Learn to read. The breakthrough is in its concept, not in its mecha fights.

>if any shows before it made mecha fights feel like an actual military skirmish between giant war machines.
Again, you accuse me of letting my personal opinion, but it seems that you can't do the same. The giant war machines can be substituted with any other mecha. The battle choreography is SHIT. That's what I'm trying to get at. The assets don't matter as long as Tomino is at the helm.

>the action was very visceral and grounded
We're talking purely on a technical level here, not on what you feel or its viscerality, which I would argue that Grendizer could be just as visceral, with cutting limbs and what not.

>claiming that Tomino is incompetent is just a really fucking inorant thing to say.
Sorry if it hurts, but it's true. Years of preparation for G Reco, and it was a confusing mess that only Tomino could have done.

The problem is, I don't see Tomino doing much for the "real robot" genre. Gundam was actually just a palette swap, from other past shows, even his.
>>
>>15829588
First off, the real robot genre isn't actually a genre, but a fad. There's a difference. Second, I was talking about battle choreography, which has no relevance to whether it was the first "real" or not.
>>
>>15829612
>I think you're placing too much importance on Gundam 79
Are we just going to ignore the huge cultural impact that it had on japanese cultural?

>It's really not. Don't lie please.
I'm not lying, the vast majority of mecha fans praise Tomino's direction.

>The breakthrough is in its concept, not in its mecha fights.
And how was the concept better illustrated than in the actual fights themselves?

>The battle choreography is SHIT. That's what I'm trying to get at.
No, you're trying to get at the fact that they're shit because you don't like them.

>We're talking purely on a technical level here, not on what you feel or its viscerality
What you feel when watching a fight is directly a product of its direction.

> I would argue that Grendizer could be just as visceral, with cutting limbs and what not.
I'm not talking about literal viscerality, I'm talking about feeling the weight and scale of a mech battle. Sure, a robot can get it's limbs cut off in Grendizer, but when a Zaku explodes when being hit, blowing a hole into a colony's structure and depressurizing the environment killing a bunch of bystanders in the process, that's when you know "holy shit, those are giant fucking robots".

>Sorry if it hurts, but it's true.
It doesn't hurt, it's just your opinion. You're the one taking subjective statements as facts here.

>I don't see Tomino doing much for the "real robot" genre.
You don't have to see anything, that's the nice thing about facts: they don't need you to believe in them for them to be true.
>>
>>15829608
>It left a mark so wide and so deep in Japanese animation
I actually don't think it did as much as you think it did. I know browsing /m/ will give you the impression that 79 was somehow that popular, but it's false.

Mazinger was certainly a more popular show, or whatever, Captain Harlock, you name it. Gundam was a failure during its original run, because it couldn't capture its kid's audience.

It found an older audience because of all the military shit.The reason why Gundam is so huge today is that Sunrise basically exploited the concept for decades, not because the shows were actually anything stellar but because it was admittedly a good concept.

When you build your brand for so long and so hard, of course every new anime will start homaging it. It becomes part of pop culture when Gundam is always around the corner. There isn't a long period since 79 that there wasn't any Gundam show.

Basically, Sunrise conquered the market, by flooding it, not only with Gundam, but also with shit like SD Gundam.
>>
>>15829653
>I actually don't think it did as much as you think it did. I know browsing /m/ will give you the impression that 79 was somehow that popular, but it's false.

Yeah, OP is either retarded or baiting. Just let this thread die.
>>
>>15829560
>Zeta had some of the worst fights I've ever seen,

Zeta had a few filler fights that were boring( maybe 5). But man, stuff like episode 13 and 26 were really dynamic and creative, and fights of that caliber were not uncommon. Tomino is really great at throwing a bunch of disparate elements together to emphasize the chaos of battle.

>Heck, look at G Reco

That literally had the best mecha battle choreography since the late 90s, I have no idea what you are talking about here.

>>15829612

> His action hasn't evolved in 30 years, whether it was Daitarn 3, Zambot 3, Gundam, Dunbine, Xabungle, G Reco, you name it. It's all the same it's ever been.

Except MSG emphasized rough and tumble and slow paced combat with lots of melee and machines having to hammer on each other, where Victory was all about speedy light weight suits getting one shotted after dodging beams for 5 minutes. Have you actually watched that much Tomino anime?
>>
>>15829648
>Are we just going to ignore the huge cultural impact that it had on japanese cultural?
Gundam is famous because of its franchise, not so much because of its individual shows, and especially not because of 79, which most discovered, only after Gundam became really huge. I'm not denying 79 as an important show, but it wasn't the most culturally important show of its era, for the time. It only appears to be nowadays, because Gundam is now huge, so everyone likes to look back at its early origins.

>I'm not lying, the vast majority of mecha fans praise Tomino's direction.
Gundam fans. It's very specific. Most people I know just have aversions to old tomino stuff.

>The breakthrough is in its concept, not in its mecha fights.
And how was the concept better illustrated than in the actual fights themselves?
The story of the conflict between two human factions, not the actual fights.

>No, you're trying to get at the fact that they're shit because you don't like them.
Yes, I don't like them, but many would also argue in my favour.

>What you feel when watching a fight is directly a product of its direction.
There's a difference between a talking scene and a fight between giant robots.

>I'm not talking about literal viscerality, I'm talking about feeling the weight and scale of a mech battle. Sure, a robot can get it's limbs cut off in Grendizer, but when a Zaku explodes when being hit, blowing a hole into a colony's structure and depressurizing the environment killing a bunch of bystanders in the process, that's when you know "holy shit, those are giant fucking robots".
Then you're wrong to be using viscerality in that way. What you're talking about with bystanders getting killed is part of the plot. I was focusing on battle choreography. I mean, people die a lot in Grendizer too, due to some of the fights, I wouldn't consider those part of the action direction. That's just silly. Those are part of the plot.
>>
>>15829648
>You're the one taking subjective statements as facts here.
Sure, but I'm arguing for it.

>You don't have to see anything, that's the nice thing about facts: they don't need you to believe in them for them to be true.
I know my facts. Votoms was considered the real robot show, not Gundam.

I don't deny that Gundam doesn't have its place, but you people are so blinded by your fanboyism that you refuse to see how 79 even came to be popular.
>>
>>15829684
>Gundam is famous because of its franchise, not so much because of its individual shows, and especially not because of 79, which most discovered, only after Gundam became really huge.
Not that guy, but Gundam became popular with reruns, the compilation movies and models. It became very well known well before Zeta was made.
>>
File: 1503690031759.gif (692KB, 239x240px) Image search: [Google]
1503690031759.gif
692KB, 239x240px
>>15829684
>Gundam is famous because of its franchise, not so much because of its individual shows
Do you even read the things you type? How does that sentence make even an ounce of sense? How can a franchise be famous on its own?

I've never seen someone talk so much out of their asses in this board.

>especially not because of 79
>It only appears to be nowadays, because Gundam is now huge, so everyone likes to look back at its early origins.

What the fuck am I reading
>>
File: you_are_incompetent.jpg (46KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
you_are_incompetent.jpg
46KB, 640x480px
>>15829001
I know this is bait but the action in that shot, while crudely animated, is really well composed.

0079 is full of ridiculous, hype shit, and people still complain about the animation.
>>
>>15829684

Limbs get cut in Gundam all the time, how is Grendizer more visceral in that regard ?

What is wrong the choreography here ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLh8ltDiEbk

It's fast paced, well animated, dynamic, has lots of weight to the blows, etc what is wrong with it ?
>>
>>15829667
Then we'll have to disagree on both Zeta, and G Reco. It is not my style of fight, and I don't find it amazing or anything like that. Which means, that I don't see how 79 was supposed to be this great breakthrough in battle choreography. This is just your fanboyism speaking. Tomino worked on super robot shows before Gundam, and his style has remained the same, so why would 79 be suddenly better? Well, the answer is that it's not, and the only difference is a palette swap.

>Except MSG emphasized rough and tumble and slow paced combat with lots of melee and machines having to hammer on each other, where Victory was all about speedy light weight suits getting one shotted after dodging beams for 5 minutes. Have you actually watched that much Tomino anime?
I've watched nearly every Tomino anime with the exception of Brain Powered. Nothing could convince me that he does fine mecha battles.

The fact that he helped spawned a popular franchise of giant robots doesn't change the fact that his battle choreography is still as awful as ever.
>>
>>15829684
>I was focusing on battle choreography

Me too, that was all part of the battle choreography. The way the battles were directed in Gundam made them feel much heavier and rough than previous giant robot shows. They were slower paced and had a much bigger sense of scale added to them, with almost every move and action taken by the robots having a believable consequence to the environments around them. That was very novel at the time, when giant robot fights were just like most fight scenes, but the dudes were just drawn really big.
>>
>>15829299
AIEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>15829712

>Tomino worked on super robot shows before Gundam, and his style has remained the same,

Ok, but I gave you an example that proves that you are wrong about that, by pointing to the difference between Victory and and MSG. So your argument falls apart because one of you premises fails to be true.
>>
>>15829694
>>15829696
Yup, Gundam became popular with re-runs and compilation movies and models. It would have faded into obscurity at some point though if not for Zeta, ZZ, Victory, the new OVAs and all that jazz.

I don't think you quite understand what I'm getting at. The popularity of Gundam is taken as a whole. When you have something like Gundam which is constantly in the public's awareness where people literally equates giant robots with gundam, of course it's simple for it to stay relevant.

I think the best comparison I can think of are the Transformers movies. The original Bayformer was alright and had a good concept. So rather than just leaving it to rot after one entry, Bay returned with 4 sequels. The movies may not be good individually, but everyone now knows Transformers so much it becomes a huge part of pop culture.

Mind you, I'm not saying Gundam is as bad as Transformers. It's not, but it's the same idea I'm getting at.
>>
>>15829712

Not the guy you're replying but

>It is not my style of fight, and I don't find it amazing or anything like that.
That's it, that's the whole point you should be making instead of trying to twist your subjective views into facts.

>I don't see how 79 was supposed to be this great breakthrough in battle choreography
That's because you don't like it

> This is just your fanboyism speaking
Literally the other way around, it's your distate for this stuff that is speaking

>I've watched nearly every Tomino anime with the exception of Brain Powered
Either you're retarded, or that's just an outright lie. No one who has watched all of his shows would think he has one single way of directing mecha fights. His direction varies pretty widely between different mecha shows.
>>
>>15829732
Except that transformers was well known long before Bay had anything to do with it. You're retarded.
>>
>>15829732
>The movies may not be good individually, but everyone now knows Transformers so much it becomes a huge part of pop culture.

Are you implying that Transformers is famous because of the Bay movies?

Holy shit, how can someone be so wrong in so little time.
>>
>>15829719
Well, for anime, but for manga, I'm sure Mazinger has already shown the scale of the fights where Kouji's actions would mean the death of someone else.

Maybe it was novel for anime, but I don't know, and I do remember plenty of consequences for Grendizer too, like people dying a lot, every episode. But it was more like a romantic drama.
>>
>>15829738
>Except that transformers was well known long before Bay had anything to do with it. You're retarded.
Yeah retard. Of course it was popular with kids, but it wasn't popular with everyone else. That's the difference.

The Transformers movies made the IP mainstream as fuck and got people who never watched Transformers before into it. A simple cartoon couldn't achieve that, and you're lying if you insist that it could.
>>
>>15829748
Do you honestly not know that transformers was a franchise spanning multiple decades before Bayformers ever happened?
>>
>>15829741
>Are you implying that Transformers is famous because of the Bay movies?
Yup. I grew up with Transformers, and don't tell me that shit was popular with everyone other than kids. Bay made it a worldwide phenomenon. I know it's hard to accept, but it's the truth.
>>
>>15829752
Of course, and did you know that only kids bothered with it? Holy shit, stop the retarded arguments please.

Last time I went to watch Bayformers in the cinema (which i regret), it had people of all ages, not just kids.

Bayformers made Transformers really popular, not just popular with kids.
>>
>>15829758
>no adults ever liked transformers before Michael Bay made some shitty movies
And you accuse me of making retarded arguments.
>>
>>15829742

>consequences mean someones dies

I'm talking about the direct, physical impact the mechs have on the world around them, I'm not talking about narrative consequences. You argue like a teenager who has no idea of what he's saying but still defiantly tries to make his case.

>>15829748
>Of course it was popular with kids, but it wasn't popular with everyone else.

Really? The movies generated a lot of buzz and marketing, but everyone knew who the fuck the transformers were. It always had new toys, TV series and comics coming out and selling like hot cakes ever since G1 first aired, and the first movie was a success EXACTLY because people knew about Transformers and were interested to see a live-action adaptation.
>>
>>15829765
That wasn't the argument I was making retard. Sure, some adults liked Transformers, who the fuck cares. Transformers primary audience was kids before adults, and when the bay movies hit, everyone watched it, not just kids, so stop trying to muddy the water with retarded arguments please.
>>
>>15829758
>Of course, and did you know that only kids bothered with it?

The IDW comics were really successful with the mature audience, especially the people who grew up with G1 in the 80s, and that came out years before the movie.
>>
>>15829773
>I'm talking about the direct, physical impact the mechs have on the world around them
Hey buffoon, you know Mazinger actually killed people with its fist. If that's not direct physical impact of battle choreography, I don't know what is.
>>
>>15829775
Sounds you're just pulling stuff completely out of your ass to me. Some of it was targeted towards kids; some of it toward adults.
>>
>>15829775

That... that's gotta be the RED COMET piloting those goal posts! I've never seen one move so fast!
>>
>>15829780
>If that's not direct physical impact of battle choreography, I don't know what is.

Exactly, you really don't.
>>
>>15829773
>Really? The movies generated a lot of buzz and marketing, but everyone knew who the fuck the transformers were. It always had new toys, TV series and comics coming out and selling like hot cakes ever since G1 first aired, and the first movie was a success EXACTLY because people knew about Transformers and were interested to see a live-action adaptation.
Of course everyone knows what Transformers was. It was a show for kids.

>>15829781
Mainly for kids.

>>15829785
What's hard to understand?

Transformers was for kids before, and some adults, probably manchildren who were into this shit.

When the bay movies hit, everyone of all types watched it. I don't think you understand the difference.
>>
>>15829001
>great sense of motion that puts modern shit to shame
>unwatchable

What the fuck? Just look at the way the Gundam holds back before a powerful swipe that follows through and then pulls back to a rest. Or how the Gouf overswings only to recoil when Ramba realizes his mistake.

Most animation now can't even do that right
>>
>>15829791
Here's your original retard post.

>The movies may not be good individually, but everyone now knows Transformers so much it becomes a huge part of pop culture.
It was already part of pop culture and everyone already knew about transformers way before Bayformers. Even if I accept your premise, it doesn't stop your analogy from being stupid.
>>
>>15829788
Taking your own words

>with almost every move and action taken by the robots having a believable consequence to the environments around them

So people dying in mecha fights is not a believable consequence to you?

You sound more like a fanboy than actually someone who's interested in discussing how Gundam is so different.
>>
>>15829800
>It was already part of pop culture
Kid culture is not POP culture. Jesus christ.

>everyone already knew about transformers way before Bayformers
Yes, parents did, because they kept a tab on their kids. You think they actually watched the cartoon? Fuck no. People only watched Transformers, when it became live action.

Seriously, in what world do you see grown adults sitting down to watch dumb giant robot cartoons? These people were a minority. I grew up with Transformers, so don't fucking tell me that somehow my parents were huge transformers fans or even knew what they were other than some dumb cartoon shit that his kid watched.

Seriously, you are delusional as fuck.
>>
>>15829801

>So people dying in mecha fights is not a believable consequence to you?

What the fuck are you even talking about? I'm talking about the physical way a giant robot moves and interacts with the environment around it, the weight built into its movements and the sense of scale if brings with its actions.

Who the fuck cares if people die or not, that's a narrative consequence, not at all what I'm talking about.

>You sound more like a fanboy than actually someone who's interested in discussing how Gundam is so different.

And you sound like a child who literally doesn't know how to discuss the technical side of a work on a mature level.
>>
>>15829200
>it would be definitively the best show in the Mobile Suit Gundam franchise
>>
>>15829812
The kids that watched that shit in the 80s grew up to become adults you fucking moron. Yes, it was pop culture.
>>
>>15829489
Watch Zambot 3 and come back faggot.
>>
>>15829820
I did, and honestly, it's one of the worst 70s mecha series I watched.
>>
>>15829812

This whole post is just ignorant bullshit, it's hilarious.

>Kid culture is not POP culture

What the fuck does that even mean? We're talking about animated shows here, its all kid shit, who the fuck cares? People grow up with these shows, then get older and continue to enjoy them, so it becomes popular culture.

>Seriously, in what world do you see grown adults sitting down to watch dumb giant robot cartoons?

Holy shit, the irony in this fucking sentence. You're one lovable retard, did you know that? I'm genuinely entertained with all this.
>>
>>15829712
Like look at this

https://youtu.be/J40XbRMIBig?t=16m43s

We get

> Destroyed mecha acting as hazards for the remaining combatants

>Unique use of an ammo barrel, as a pilot tosses it so fire on it and make it explode on an enemy.

> Variety between close combat and long range combat that shifts seemlessly

> A secondary event going on during the battle that isn't combat to increase the dynamism of the battle and increase the stakes

> Char getting Kamille to stand on his shoulders so to boost him into the air, so that they can overcome the ground/air gap that is making the Asshimar so fearsome

Lots of interesting stuff is going on.

https://youtu.be/J40XbRMIBig?t=16m43s

>Utilization of an old wrecked ship to make the battlefield more dynamic and multifaceted

>Combatants constantly switch places and get involved in each other's fights so to make the fight more chaotic

>Really sleek beam rifle duels

>Incorporation of ships creating hazards that even bother their own side

>Willingness to utilize hideing and then attacking as a strategy

>Simultaneous foot battle with mecha battle, because some of the combatants have changed stages after having their machines wrecked

> After most of the battle being long range in open space, Yazan and Kamille move into a ship where the battle becomes more intense and claustrophobic as Yazan starts to clobber Kamille in melee. Unifying the shift in stage with shift in kind of combat.

> What starts as one combat of Emma, Katz and Kamille all fighting, breaks off into 2 battles which reunite at the end of the battle as we get Kamille almost getting taken out by Yazan, only for Katz to save him by starting up an old broken down Gelgoog that happened to be on the ship.

>Ends with Yazan having to retreat and taking out his own commanding ship in the chaos of battle.

Grendizer fights feel like great WWE matches with robots, Zeta Gundam battles feel like legit battles in how multifacted and chaotic they are.
>>
>>15829732
Transformers were well known long before the shitty movies.
>>
>>15829813
>I'm talking about the physical way a giant robot moves
I've seen Gundam, and you're lying if you're telling me that somehow the giant robot moves any different from the past shit I've seen.

>and interacts with the environment around it
The only example you have is depressurizing the environment in a colony. Is that supposed to be impressive? That's just a part of the narrative.

>the weight built into its movements and the sense of scale if brings with its actions.
Again, giant robots are giant robots. They move all the same, and Tomino didn't change that.

>And you sound like a child who literally doesn't know how to discuss the technical side of a work on a mature level.
I wished I was talking about the technical aspects, but you keep bringing irrelevant bs into it.
>>
>>15829825

Anon, just let it go. OP is already set on disliking UC Gundam and arguing with logic is only going to get you frustrated.
>>
>>15829001
That was fucking awesome.
>>
>>15829825
Accidentally linked the same video twice.

https://youtu.be/RzeD9nckvBQ?t=10m21s

For the second account listed in my post.
>>
>>15829824
>People grow up with these shows, then get older and continue to enjoy them, so it becomes popular culture.
Not really. Many people grow up and leave their childish hobbies behind, BUT, of course they'll watch the Bayformers movies, because it played in the cinema, and it's a good time to revisit their childhood.

>Holy shit, the irony in this fucking sentence.
Do you perhaps realise that not all adults sit down to watch giant robot cartoons? In fact, it's a minority. I know my place, but apparently you don't.
>>
>>15829826
Well known only among kids, and it became huge with the movies.

You aren't looking at the international picture, only an american one. I'm taking in the global audience into account when I make these statements.

and the rea truth is that Transformers became really popular after its release in the cinemas.
>>
>>15829837
>I know my place

Hopefully in a fucking quarantine bunker, with those radioactive levels of shit taste.
>>
>>15829825
>The uploader has not made this video available in your country

>Grendizer fights feel like great WWE matches with robots
You can't fly in WWE matches.

>Zeta Gundam battles feel like legit battles
Oh please. Beam spams don't make for interesting battles.
>>
>>15829845
>transformers wasn't already fucking huge before Bayformers
You're a retard. Yes, it was internationally well known before then too.
>>
>>15829847
Unfortunately for you, I have great tastes. Takahashi was always a better director than Tomino. That's just a fact.
>>
>>15829855
>it was internationally well known before then too.
No it wasn't you dumb retard. Stop making these statements you can't back up. The world isn't America.
>>
The animation is sometimes pretty good, but to me the art itself is really beautiful. I love the character designs, the backgrounds, etc.
Also, anybody who says that if this show was reanimated it would be GOAT hasn't watched it, considering a good 50% at least is just MOTW nonsense. Still, there are some genuinely fantastic parts. Kai's development in particular was done well.
>>
>>15829823
Yes but it's animation is so much worse than MSG's was my point.
It could look much, much, much worse. Even Harlock looks extremely shitty compared to MSG.
>>
>>15829864
Do you understand the meaning of the word 'international'?
>>
>>15829864
Transformers toys have been exported all across the world since the 80s.
>>
>>15829869
>Even Harlock looks extremely shitty compared to MSG.
You're overreaching.

MSG looks worse than Harlock.
>>
>>15829873
Yeah, and kids got them. Adults don't watch that shit. What's so hard to understand about that?
>>
>>15829864

I'm actually from Brazil, can confirm you're retarded.
>>
>>15829880
The world isn't Brazil, Fernando.
>>
>>15829879
>this constant backpedalling
Those kids became adults before Bayformers moron.
>>
>>15829893
Yeah and those kids didn't spend their time watching a cartoon when they became adults, you moron.
>>
>>15829888

2017 and people still pretend to be retarded on the internet.
>>
>>15829895
Maybe not but they probably introduced their kids to the show. It's pop culture. Everyone knows transformers.
>>
>>15829908
Not maybe not. Definitely not for the most part, excluding the manchildren.

>they probably introduced their kids to the show.
Notice a pattern here? For kids. Everyone knows Transformers, is for kids.

It wasn't until Bayformers that people actually sat down and truly watched it as adults, not as introducing it to their kids, no, as actual products of entertainment, and the fact that you all refuse to acknowledge that shows your dishonesty with this whole discussion.

Of course Transformers was popular before, but it was mainly with kids and manchildren, and it was nowhere near popular till Bayformers got his hands on it.

Stop acting like dishonest fucks, you cunts.
>>
>>15829930
Explain the pop culture mammoth known as Spongebob then.
>>
>>15829938
What about it? It's another show for kids. No adult I know seriously sits down and actually watches spongebob.
>>
I can't watch old stuff because especially the female and child VAs sound like they are phoning in their performance
>>
>>15829732
>Yup, Gundam became popular with re-runs and compilation movies and models. It would have faded into obscurity at some point though if not for Zeta, ZZ, Victory, the new OVAs and all that jazz.
Are you retarded? Zeta came because MSG was hot. Unlike a lot of its contemporaries it failed its initial run and was destined for the scrap heap. The only reason the franchise exists is because MSG was popular enough to pick a dead show out of the scrapyard.
>>
>>15829948
Spongebob started airing a bit over 19 years ago. The kids that watched when it started are adults now. It's something a lot of people watched growing up. People can reference it and recognize things from it very quickly. It's part of pop culture because so many people liked it. It doesn't matter if it's for kids. It's still a part of pop culture.
>>
>>15829864
>The world isn't America.
It pretty much was. Britain was like a distant second for some time but through the 70-90s America was literally the only country that mattered.
>>
>>15829961
They may be adults and reference it, but they don't actually sit down to watch it. If they did, they'd be manchildren.

Or maybe they still do, because guess what, 19 years ago meant that these people are still in their 20s, like me, and we all know that they are not yet true adults.
>>
>>15829968
Not for your pop culture no.
>>
>>15829974
Except the entire world's "culture" now is just remnants of American pop culture from that era or previous eras of American pop culture.
>>
>>15829973
Does that stop it from being pop culture though? I think you need to spell out your definition of pop culture if you want people to understand what you're trying to get across.
>>
>>15829982
The point is that Transformers became huge with the movies, and it's a simple thing that you refuse to accept for god knows why.
>>
>>15829853

Ok, but I demonstrated that Zeta Gundam battles are'nt just beam spam. The first account was of episode 13, the second was for 26. Go watch those episodes yourself.

The addition of flying does'nt change that much in the kind of choreography involved.
>>
>>15829985
I'm not the guy you've been arguing with; there are more than two people in this thread. Would they have considered making the bayformers movies had Transformers not already been popular? Sure the movies boosted the popularity, but Transformers was already a part of American pop culture before the movies came out.
>>
>>15829994
From American pop culture to international pop culture. Transformers crossed borders like never before.

It's like how I never gave a shit about American super hero comics till the movies started coming out.
>>
>>15829986
Not likely. I don't like Zeta, so I don't want to sit through it again.

If people are gonna claim that 79 looked good for its time, then they're better be familiar with stuff that came before or the same year.

I can form my opinion because I actually watched both Grendizer and Captain Harlock in their entirety, and by comparison, I don't find 79 that amazing, even on the narrative front, because I don't consider Tomino to be a particularly good writer, just an average one of his times, like many other directors of the time.

Maybe if I didn't watch those, and just assumed it was amazing, which is what goes on a lot on /m/, then I would share your opinion. But no, I bothered to actually look past Gundam.
>>
>>15829001
0079 had more enjoyable fights than Zeta. At least they were well choreographed and had good sound effects.
>>
>>15830001
Yes. However, you must still recognize that super hero comics were a part of American pop culture before the movies started to enter production. Otherwise the movies would not have been made. You are not the public as a whole, and there are people out there that like things you don't care about. Gundam was a part of Japanese pop culture for the longest time and began to branch out as time went on. To say that people only like MSG because it's a part of the Gundam franchise will get you a lot of flak. Had MSG not been popular and become a pop culture icon none of the later entries would have been made. Much the the super hero movies.
>>
>>15830010
What I'm reading here is that you liked something else better than Gundam, therefore Gundam is not good and as such nothing about it is good.
>>
File: 1494054482521.jpg (22KB, 480x389px) Image search: [Google]
1494054482521.jpg
22KB, 480x389px
>>15829434

>>15829015
>>15829023
>>15829111
>>15829151
>>
>>15830021
These super hero comics weren't mainstream, they were there for the comic nerds.

>Gundam was a part of Japanese pop culture for the longest time and began to branch out as time went on.
Like with any other popular series of the 70s which wasn't less popular than it. The only difference is that Sunrise decided to continue making Gundam and not just stop unlike many other series. Think Super Sentai and Kamen Rider. They are popular, but a big part of their popularity is their constant presence on Japanese TV meaning that no kid generation misses out on it. In that sense, 79's popularity is inflated, thanks to the franchise as a whole.

>To say that people only like MSG because it's a part of the Gundam franchise will get you a lot of flak.
Except that's not what I said at all if you've been following discussion.
>>
>>15830021
Also, you think that only 79 was the breakthrough for the mecha genre, little do you realise that every 70s mecha that came before it each contributed something to the genre.

It wasn't Tetsujin and Mazinger all the way to Gundam. The shows in between, like Grendizer and Yamato contributed nearly as much as Gundam to the genre.

The problem with /m/ is that you all lot think there are big breakthrough shows, and everything else is the same, when in reality, it's a chunk of progression over every year. Shows like Grendizer and Yamato and probably others that I missed showed that audiences were already getting tired of Japanese kid's programming, and wanted something more relatable, and "realistic".

In that sense, Gundam wasn't that much of a breakthrough when you consider the conditions that led to it. It wasn't wow, audiences were shocked at gundam, it was more like wow, audiences wanted something different and got it, not with the tv series, but with the compilation movies that were a hit with older kids.
>>
>>15830049
I never said cape comics were mainstream. I said they were part of pop culture. There's a difference. You also never explained you your definition of pop culture is. It might be different from mine. With the branching out thing I meant to the rest of the world. Quite a few people in the US know Gundam exists, even if they can't name anything other than wing. Gundam, sentai, and rider all kept getting made because they were popular. You're correct in say that they snowballed, but wouldn't they have had to be popular to start with for Sunrise to decide to keep making them? Had MSG not been popular in it's day we wouldn't have gotten the sequels and later the franchise as a whole. It must have done something right to spawn the legacy it has. Also, you just said MSG's popularity is inflated because of the rest of the franchise so please don't say that you aren't doing that. Can you remind me of your original point.
>>15830067
When did I ever say any of that? I'm one person sitting in a room alone having a back and forth with someone on the internet, not the whole of /m/.
>>
>>15830010

Well, I have provided evidence several times over, you have just provided conjecture. You have no way to know what any of us have or have not watched. I'm fine with you having your opinion, but don't act high and mighty when you can't even back your points up, and ignore evidence contrary to them.
>>
>>15830049
>These super hero comics weren't mainstream, they were there for the comic nerds.
Now I know you're retarded. They weren't for nerds at all. They were for boys and the market was flooded with books that sold like hundreds of thousands a year. X-men vol 2 #1 holds the record for millions of copies sold for a single book (over a lifetime but probably the bulk of it was within the first year).

It isn't like now where popular books sell maybe 50-70k to some dedicated fans in their 30s and a few SJWs that actually buy the garbage marvel peddles. The industry is niche now but back then comics were mainstream for boys in the US. You're probably some retarded 18 year old who thinks MUH NERDS WERE BULLIED BY JOCKS BECAUSE THEY PLAYED GAMES AND READ COMICS because you watched a few old American shows. What the fuck?
>>
>>15830021
Furthermore, the manga scene was already brewing behind the scenes as well, and not just with mecha. The medium was maturing, and that was clear with manga like Devilman and Asura.

The maturing of the manga medium however, happened WAY before anime, which was just playin catch up at this point. Again, another reason why I generally don't find anime productions to be ground breaking at the time when many manga were already expanding beyond its original audience.
>>
>>15830081
I watched my shows, and I watched yours. We already agreed on the fact that I don't find Tomino's fights appealing at all. How many times must I say this?
>>
File: ss (2017-04-05 at 11.17.32).png (354KB, 806x622px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2017-04-05 at 11.17.32).png
354KB, 806x622px
>>15830088
What does that have to do with this discussion?
>>15830089
You could just stop replying to that person.
>>
>>15830079
>You also never explained you your definition of pop culture is
Yeah it's different, but it's irrelevant now considering you got my point across.

>Gundam, sentai, and rider all kept getting made because they were popular. You're correct in say that they snowballed, but wouldn't they have had to be popular to start with for Sunrise to decide to keep making them?
Yeah, but people tend to place too much importance on 79, the same way they do for KR and Super Sentai. Their first shows are important historically, but the snowball effect you mentioned contributed a lot more.

>It must have done something right to spawn the legacy it has.
MSG did something right, and Sunrise exploited that concept of military robots. People find those cool, and it snowballed.

But just from a directing perspective, I don't find Tomino's work on the Gundam franchise to be particularly impressive.
>>
>>15830085
>people who read comic books aren't nerds
wAIT WHAT? I'm sorry if that offends you, but people who read comics are considered nerds, by many cultures.
>>
>>15830100
Oh okay. Thanks for explaining. I like Tomino's directing, but I can acknowledge that it's not everyone's cup of tea. There's not really much to discuss about this anymore so have a nice day or night!
>>15830102
In the 80's and 90's comic books were rad and read by boys all over America.
>>
>>15830079
>Can you remind me of your original point.
Original point is that I don't think 79 is as groundbreaking as gundam fans think it is. The way you talk about 79 is that it's everything to the 70s, and I disagree massively.

I post Grendizer, because I watched it and I happen to think that Toei was just as competent as Sunrise at the time. I wanted to make a point that I don't find 79's fighting choreography to be particularly impressive while you people are jerking off to it as if it's the second coming of Christ, and I use Tomino as a reason, given that I find his direction to be similar in all of his shows.
>>
>>15830113
Hi, I'm this anon (>>15830109). I just said Gundam was popular. I never said anything about it being groundbreaking, never mentioned the choreography, nor did I mention the 70's in general. It's okay to disagree. I like Tomino and you don't. It's not a big deal.
>>
>>15830102
>but people who read comics are considered nerds
Yea, if you're a 35 year old dude who pisses into bottles. They was all the rage with kids for decades.
>>
>OP tries to be a hipster fag calling 0079 a shit
>Entire thread blows him the fuck out

Just stop before you embarrass yourself even more.
>>
ITT:
>OP bitches about GR4FX of a low-budget series from 1979
>claims Transformers, an 80s pop-culture phenomenon, only got popular from terrible Michael Bay films
>insists no adult watches Spongebob, a currently-airing series that premiered in 1999 solely from his own anecdotal experience

What a goober.
>>
>>15830150
>>15830153
Stop confusing people. I'm not OP, and I don't think 079 is impressive.

>Just stop before you embarrass yourself even more.
Gundamfags should do that first, because your reaction is a pretty clear sign of the kind of blind fanboyism I was talking about all this time.
>>
>>15830153
>OP bitches about GR4FX of a low-budget series from 1979
I'm not OP.

>claims Transformers, an 80s pop-culture phenomenon, only got popular from terrible Michael Bay films
Wrong. That's not what I claimed. How about you actually read the thread instead of just going on by your own self validation?

>insists no adult watches Spongebob, a currently-airing series that premiered in 1999 solely from his own anecdotal experience
Kek. Just because you grew up with something doesn't mean you continue watching that thing well into adulthood.
>>
>>15830127
>I just said Gundam was popular.
I never disagreed on that then.

>I like Tomino and you don't. It's not a big deal.
Well, just because I think his action is terrible, and direction sketchy doesn't mean I don't like Tomino. In fact, I like Tomino for various of things, one being his opinions on video games and attack on titan, and two, I legit enjoyed Xabungle and Victory Gundam. So it's not all grey.
>>
>>15829437
CT unironically has better graphics than FFXV
Its character design just doesn't fit its world terribly well.
>>
>>15829985
Bayformers would have never been made if Transformers as a franchise wasn't already huge. The budget for all of them are massive and they are undeniably technically amazing.
>>
>>15829001
Idk what your talking about op. This looks cool and I want to watch this now
>>
Is this the evolution of zeta hate threads? I really hope we don't have constant 0079 hate threads. The Zeta threads are more than enough
>>
0079 reruns had high ratings so why bother mentioning that the original run failed? It literally doesn't matter when you're arguing. Who the hell cares if it became popular a few years later? The Gundam had a fucking statue built. OP stop with the shitty bait
>>
>>15829985
lmao @ exactly how delusional you are
it's actually astounding
>>
>>15829011
>>15829463
Wait, so IBO was a 70s robot tribute all along?
>>
File: doans island.jpg (331KB, 1500x1257px) Image search: [Google]
doans island.jpg
331KB, 1500x1257px
>>15829473
Honestly, I first watched 0079 about 4 years ago, and as I was watching it I didn't even notice most of the quality, only when it was continuously off model over the course of several shots. It was only going back and watching scenes in isolation that I saw how cheap it looked. I was too engaged with the plot and characters the first time to even fucking notice.
>>
File: 1434326534.webm (3MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
1434326534.webm
3MB, 720x404px
>>15829011
>>15829463
Why was the animation in Tekketsu so fucking bad?
>>
>>15831322
Planned to touch it up when the home release came out?
>>
>>15829001
It's alright since they're going to reanimate it in CGI a la The Origin because (((Sunrise))).
>>
>>15829052
incorrect, UCfag
>>
>>15831515
No its correct, SEEDfag
>>
>>15829001 (OP)
Not because of shit animation, because of shit taste
>>
>>15829001
The art quality might be iffy in that shot (especially due to no shading), but the animation itself is very good.
>>
>>15831557
>0079 with 80s OVA shading
Hnng
>>
Your problem is the animation and not that it takes 3/4 of the anime to get good?
>>
The amount of in-cockpit shots is just painful throughout IBO. It was like it was the only thing they could draw well.
>>
>>15831571

Basically the PS2 games, Journey to Jaburo and Encounters in Space. They feature a lot of scenes from 0079 redone in a 90s OVA style.
>>
File: moist.png (260KB, 340x331px) Image search: [Google]
moist.png
260KB, 340x331px
>>15831668
Gameplay any good?
>>
>>15831675
EiS is mostly fun, J2J is okayish.
>>
>>15831473
BDs don't improve this kind of shitty animation.
>>
>>15831675

Journey to Jaburo is kind of shit, but playable. Just so you have an idea of how shit it is: you HAVE to use the d-pad to move.

Encounters in Space is lots of fun, the gameplay is much better as space battles are incredibly more fun to play than the sluggish ground battles of J2J.

If you're a 0079 fan though, I'd recommend both. The redone cutscenes alone make up for it.
>>
>>15829001
I recently watched 0079 for the first time and that shit didn't bother me one bit.
>>
>>15831322
That was one of the scenes I thought looked good. Lots of fast, but not blurred action that shows most of the bodies and actions and reactions on screen. Animation could be better but I thought it was a good scene.
>>
When does 0079 pick up? I'm admittedly super early, only episode 4 but so far each episode has been a chore and I'm wishing I wad watching something else. But I want to get into the series, so when does it pick up?
>>
>>15829366
>That part where Great throws great boomerang and cuts that one monster down the middle.
Every time I watch this movie I have to rewind that part and watch it again a few times. So fucking badass.
>>
>>15829001
Your mom is literally unwatchable due to shit animation.

This is the level of quality of response that this deserves.
>>
>>15833436
When they get to Earth.
>>
>>15833469
When is that?
>>
>>15833473
Episode 6?
>>
>>15830164
>>15830174
>wah wah wah

I get it, you're a goober.

>Just because you grew up with something

I was like 12 before Spongebob even premiered, not even talking about myself, just other folks I know.
>>
File: 1445823921309.gif (2MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1445823921309.gif
2MB, 480x270px
>>
File: 14855439859157.jpg (60KB, 584x389px) Image search: [Google]
14855439859157.jpg
60KB, 584x389px
>>15829001
It's just old, dude. That's all. If you can accept that, cool. Keep watching. If not, don't. Read the manga. Thumb through the wiki. Play the games. You can sidestep around it easily nowadays. I understand animation being a roadblock. A while back, when I was plowing through Getter Robo, it was hard to watch. But if you really want to see how it all ends & you really love the things that spawned from it, you stick with it. It's cool if you don't watch Gundam 0079 because of its animation. 'Least it is in my book.

Just don't hold it as a badge.
>>
>>15830486
What do you mean "now?"
>>
>>15833428
>looks good
Please get some contacts or laser eye corrective vision surgery. For a sakuga sequence, it looks pretty terrible.
>>
>>15829732
That's not what happened at all; what happened was that Gundam 79 was STILL POPULAR in 1985 when they made Zeta Gundam. The whole reason why they made Zeta Gundam was because the robot anime genre was in a bad place; there had been cancellations of shows, merchandise wasn't selling and funding was scarce, so they needed a sure fire hit; a Gundam sequel was not what anybody making it wanted to be doing, but it would tap into the still-existant and long lasting Gundam fanbase.
>>
>>15833486
That's just Unreal Engine in action.
>>
>>15833436

You didn't like the first episode at all? I mean, the pace picks up a bit here and there, but the show is very slow paced. If there was absolutely nothing you enjoyed about it in the first 4 episodes, I don't know if you're going to enjoy all of it. Honestly, just watch the Movie Trilogy if that's how you feel but you still want to know the story.
>>
>2017 millenial cries about watching something from 1979

shocker
>>
File: Gundam Ibo.jpg (191KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Gundam Ibo.jpg
191KB, 1920x1080px
What's with all the IBO hate?
I thought the show was great and I enjoyed a lot of the fight scenes (although some if it felt rough and clunky)
I liked it a lot and I don't really get where the hate comes from...
What does /m/ consider to be the best animated piece of Mobile Suit Gundam?
>>
>>15835338
It's a meme Anon.
>>
>>15835338

I wanted Kudelia to die. Mikazuki is a walking piece of cardboard. Tekkadan has plot armor until the writers hate them.
>>
>>15835370

Also, a lot of quality and no fights taking advantage of the setting. Shonen tier survival.
>>
File: Gundam_Thunderbolt.jpg (282KB, 1102x1481px) Image search: [Google]
Gundam_Thunderbolt.jpg
282KB, 1102x1481px
>>15835338
Gundam Thunderbolt is extremely good, downloaded the entire soundtrack
>>
>>15829200
Even if they did, even if they made it with a huge budget and hired great directors, if the music and voice acting were superb, it can never be as significant as the original Gundam. It can be the most enjoyable to watch nowadays, but that's it.
The original Gundam, among other series from those early years (specially Yamato when we are talking about science fiction), revolutionized anime and is still highly influential to these days. Gundam and Yamato together almost single-handedly created the otaku phenomena.
You can make a great sequel that is great to watch. You cannot change the whole medium again.
>>
>>15829006
I think that's the point. He's trolling those who say it's unwatchable.
>>
>>15835338
>there are people that actually like IBO
wow
>>
>>15835338
As far as actual animation quality is concerned I'd say F91 has the best overall. There are a few scenes later on in Turn-A that look amazing as well.
>>
I'm watching ZZ now, after skipping half of it to watch CCA and Unicorn. It's strange that I enjoy it so much, despite the animation being much worse than those two, especially Unicorn. But I realised that what I loved about Gundam was never mechaporn and awesome animation like, say, SDF Macross or high-budget OVAs in the 80s, but the character interactions, drama, and dumb shenanigans. To me Unicorn was a cool "what would a super high budget Gundam be like", but it didn't feel very Gundam to me.

I'm reading Origin now and it really captures everything I loved about 0079.
>>
File: 1420034845583.jpg (48KB, 500x672px) Image search: [Google]
1420034845583.jpg
48KB, 500x672px
>>15835396
>watches Thunderbolt once
Thread posts: 215
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.