[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come the designs from Yamato still look good now.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: 61flPj9lR0L._SL1451_.jpg (101KB, 1451x661px) Image search: [Google]
61flPj9lR0L._SL1451_.jpg
101KB, 1451x661px
Meanwhile Manzinger Z and Getter look like crap even with the updated version?
>>
Fuck off lazy Matsumoto
>>
It helps that it's just a floating version of a battleship that actually existed.
>>
>>15826623
Except Yamato looked like shit back then and still looks like shit today
>>
File: 1503753423253.jpg (377KB, 1000x760px) Image search: [Google]
1503753423253.jpg
377KB, 1000x760px
>>15826774
>Yamato
>Looked like shit
>>
What is that red thing on the bottom of Yamato
>>
>>15827644
Tertiary bridge.
>>
>>15826623
Daily reminder that the real life Yamato added nothing of value to the japanese war effort and then sank like a bitch
>>
>>15826623
It's literally just a boat. Wooooooow.
>>
>>15827691
Her sister ship the Musashi took 20 torpedos and bombs before going down though.
>>
>>15828371
>Her sister ship the Musashi took 20 torpedos and bombs before going down though.

Battleships are vulnerable to air attacks. I mean drop a bomb vertically in the right spot and down goes the mighty battleship. Torpedos also are effective but they have to deal with the thick armor of the battleship. No such armor is availble against bombs dropping from the right over your head though.
The IJN in the late 1940s still believed in the superiority of the battleship even when world events made clear they were tactically wrong. And they paid the price for it. The Americans were re-conquering the west pacific using an armada of hundreds of aircraft carriers.
Battleships against that kind of threat are simply put obsolete.
>>
>>15827691
Savage.
>>
>>15827653
>Not centering your CIC inside the hull, shielded by the bulk of the vessel.
>Not doing spaceships like in the Honorverse
When high energy beams are primary weapons, any mass helps to reduce damage.
>>
>>15830705
Are those books any good?
>>
>>15826772

It probably does, but it's part of why I dislike it personally; it's too practical and utilitarian, which is what some people want but doesn't do anything for me. I prefer something with a bit of a stylistic flair, even if it's only a minor amount.

I don't think the design works even with that caveat though, because Yamato, like all ships is designed to sit in a certain amount of water and for the bottom to be basically invisible for all intents and purposes. It's design works when sitting in water, but if you just copy/paste it in to space, the bottom half looks ungainly and weird, out of place in my opinion.
>>
>>15830738
It's 1/3 infodumping dialogue
1/3 Honor Harrington being the most perfect perfection to ever perfect
1/3 pretty cool space battles
>>
>>15830738
They're pretty fucking awesome if you like space opera and political quirks.
Read 9 of them in three months.
Also, you absolutely have to start from the first one.
A lot of exposition.
Honor is a bit of a special snowflake, but at least somewhat likeable.
Spaceship battles are cool and weaponry is pretty original.
>>
>>15828388
The IJN conflicted with their own Admiral Yamamoto that saw the rise of the aircraft carrier as the soon to be king of the sea. And the IJN ignored him and paid the price for ignoring his lack of vision.

In space however this is not an issue when every ship is a large fighter craft
>>
>>15830705
Flying vibrators aren't that visually interesting. External bridges make no real sense, but look good for TV.
>>
>>15830888
>Honor is a bit of a special snowflake
>Out duels a professional duelist
>Out sword masters a sword master
>Effortless peak physique
>Psychic powers
>Everyone who doesn't love her is evil and incompetent
>a little bit of a snowflake

Anon, Honor is Mary Sue so massive she literally warps the story around herself and wears it like a scarf.
>>
>>15830705
This just doesn't seem like a very good design to me. It's got a very bulbous profile, making it a huge target, and it has no guns facing up or down so it would have to reorient itself to fire in those directions. Especially for anything that's coming in at an angle.
>>
>>15828371
>Musashi took 20 torpedos and bombs before going down though

the horror that baki-dou's musashi will tank those (or at least slice them before they hit him).
>>
>>15835187
The design is influenced by an exceptionally detailed and consistent technological setting. Every ship in the universe (with one major exception so far) has to look pretty much like this due to physical constraints.
>>
>>15836233
And this exceptionally detailed and consistent technological setting stops them from putting armaments on all side of the ship to avoid having to rotate their entire ship to shoot stuff at angles and basic directions?
>>
>>15836270
Yes, the sublight propulsion tech they use creates extremely distorted regions of space above and below the ship that block weaponry.
>>
>>15835187
>>15836270

Because the setting is meant to enable Napoleonic naval battles, but IN SPAAAACE.

Seriously. Weber can be really blunt with this, like how one of the major villains was Rob S. Pierre, chairman of the Committee of Public Safety. Honor herself is pretty much Nelson, down to losing an eye & arm.
>>
>>15830845
>it's too practical and utilitarian
But it isn't. Yamato is fanciful and somewhat campy. Something "practical and utilitarian" (given the technological caveats) would be a smooth and geometric thing.
>>
>>15830705

realistic (war)ships are boring and ugly
>>
>>15837405
I've read a bunch of Weber's stuff and basically everything he does has shades of Napoleonic naval battles. Either it's subtle references, blatant inspiration, or literally just the 18th/19th century but one guy's a robot.

I mean, I enjoy it so I'm not complaining, but it's kind of funny at this point.
>>
>>15837653
It's not even realistic.
>>
>>15836300
Actually, the propulsion both FTL and STL uses gravitational folds and trigs, the trig for STL uses dense gravity folds, angled essentially to propel the ship.
But the coolest and one of the more original weapons in the franchise are the missiles.
>>
Yamato's just a boat with some retro scifi shit on the bottom of it

It's easier to sell a design for a space ship as plausible, especially if it's 50% a literal ship, than a giant robot, because ships (both space and naval) actually exist but no one knows what a giant bipedal humanoid weapon looks like and we probably never will
>>
>>15838229

What's new about it's missiles or use of them?
>>
>>15838229
If there's gravity there's distorted space, they're the same thing.
>>
>>15837667
I'm appreciating Weber's shorter works more after burning out on Honorverse (Dahak anime when?). I was kind of annoyed though at how he concluded The Excalibur Alternative by trivializing everything that David Drake's Romans struggled to do in Ranks of Bronze even though it was admittedly a logical outcome.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.