[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Evangelion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 17

File: Ikari.jpg (102KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Ikari.jpg
102KB, 640x480px
I was just wondering why Eva gets all the hate it does. Is it all of the fans making it out to be something which it isnt. Especially as Anno has come out and said none of the symbolism really means anything,

Or do you just not like the anime itself and the story it tells?

I quite like the story behind eva and even the symbolism (even if it has no meaning). I also think it hold up as a really good anime or is the fact that its now ((too mainstream)) make it something to be avoided?
>>
>>15820223
I really enjoyed the varied nature of the Angels, and how the Evas were essentially all powerful, and barely able to be controlled by their masters.

Beyond that, it's kind of a mess, but I still liked Evangelion.
>>
>yfw no real anime has ever been shown since toonami in the 90s
*sigh* why can't we go back to real shows like DBZ, ghost in the shell, cowboy bebop, and eva?
>>
>>15820223
>Is it all of the fans making it out to be something which it isn't?
>Or do you just not like the anime itself and the story it tells?
>Or is the fact that its now too mainstream
A combination of all of those is the most likely answer.

>Especially as Anno has come out and said none of the symbolism really means anything.
Don't quote without providing source and context and don't use words you don't know the meaning of.
>>
>>15820223
It's fairly easy to hate trash.
>>
>>15820272
Not anno, but another of the creators.

http://web.archive.org/web/20031208113458/www.akadot.com/article/article-tsurumaki2.html

>There is no actual Christian meaning to the show, we just thought the visual symbols of Christianity look cool.
>>
>>15820288
Also http://web.archive.org/web/20080504115217/www.mit.edu/people/rei/manga-okadaluncheon.html

>Mr. Anno ("Evangelion") apparently never read the Bible, despite the heavy Christian symbology of his work; he just (according to Mr. Okada) picked out a few interesting technical terms.
>>
>>15820288
I hope no one in their right mind ever believed that Eva has any Christian meaning.
What Eva uses is not symbols, it's imagery.
"It's there to look cool" is pretty much the definition of imagery. "It's there to invoke an emotional reaction" would be a slightly better definition.
Any author uses imagery even if they are not aware of it. Imagery is meaningful because it invokes an emotional reaction. The emotional reaction that imagery invokes is meaningful.
>>
>>15820223
>I was just wondering why Eva gets all the hate it does.
Its popular. That's about it. Everything else is people justifying this(none of which are hate worthy, even if you don't like Eva).
>>
>>15820316
>call out anon
>anon cites their point
>backpedal and change argument
inb4 "i-i'm not even that anon"
>>
>>15820327
I haven't changed my argument in any way.
>>
>>15820336
>Especially as Anno has come out and said none of the symbolism really means anything.
>Don't quote without providing source and context and don't use words you don't know the meaning of.
>did that
>uhhh symbols don't mean anything anyway it's imagery
okay
>>
It's poorly executed, later series did everything it did with better execution. Hell, some earlier series did too.
>>
>>15820346
Mind naming some of those series? I'm interested in watching some new things, and it would also be good if they were /m/ related.
>>
>>15820342
The statement of this anon was that
>the symbolism in Eva has no meaning
In my original post I pointed out that he is using the word "symbolism" inappropriately. I also recommended to him to research his statements in the future.
Even though I didn't ask for source if he's gone to the trouble of finding it he should be able to analyze it on his own and realize that it doesn't support his initial statement.
>>
>>15820354
Regarding what came after, E7 (often falsely labeled a clone, actually) contains the entirety of NGE but to greater affect, and goes beyond that too. You've probably seen it already, but it's a series that really doesn't come together without secondary knowledge. It also has actual Christian symbolism that isn't terribly explicit.
At least read an article on deep ecology and Timothy Morton. Those are crucial.

Even if you don't like it, you could just have fun with it and record every (mostly visual) allusion to an older series that you find.
>>
>>15820316
That's a lot of BS even for an artcuck.
>>
Just because the religious symbols are used for their aesthetics doesn't mean the show doesn't have any deeper meaning.

Its themes of depression, individuality, loneliness and mental health are extremely well developed, not just "for a mecha anime" but in general. The characters and their relationships are very well written, but often dismissed as "annoying" or "nonsensical" by people who don't fully grasp what Anno was going for.
>>
>>15820391
None of that is well-developed. It watches like a teenage girl writing a song about her depression and PTSD and anxiety.
>>
File: 1489766557139.jpg (2MB, 1800x1690px) Image search: [Google]
1489766557139.jpg
2MB, 1800x1690px
Honestly, I think most of the hate comes from the fact that it's so popular and brings in a lot of people who don't typically watch anime. So you have these people who have watched NGE, TTGL, SnK and other entry-level anime suddenly acting like they're well-versed and just being obnoxious about it, and that leads people who watch anime more regularly to distance themselves from those shows. There's a reason evafags and TTGLfags have a bad rap, especially on /m/

Eva was my first anime, and a little over 10 years later it still manages to be one of my favorites with each rewatch. It just has that perfect mix of solid backstory, lighthearted moments, fleshed-out characters, great action scenes, and the mysterious nature of the plot. Couple all of that with the soundtrack and beautiful visuals and I don't see how anyone can really call it bad. Overrated, sure, but definitely not bad.

Also, I genuinely think that the whole "christian symbolism" argument is the go-to contrarian response for NGE. If that's your main argument for disliking the show, you should really go watch it again.
>>
>>15820406
>it's contrarian to agree with the creators that it doesn't mean anything
>>
>>15820401

If you know nothing about depression, maybe.

Shinji's depression and generalized anxiety is one of the most accurate depcticions of the conditions on a TV series, and I say that as someone who suffers from both and studies it as my major.

It comes off as "teenage whinning" exactly because neurotypical people don't fully comprehend why someone with depression would be acting like that.
>>
>>15820408
Nice try, but I'm not arguing that there was meaning behind the symbolism aside from the general mysterious aspect to it. I'm saying that if you're seriously discounting the entire series because of that small aspect, you're clearly just latching onto the meme reason to dislike the show
>>
>>15820408
>>15820386
Are you literally retarded?
>>
>Muh Asuka waifu
>>
It's hard to take Eva seriously when its "deep" characters get whored out for figures and spinoff manga every chance Anno gets.
>>
>>15820415
Can you be more specific. What details struck you as accurate?
>>
File: 2017-08-28_01-45-07.png (118KB, 278x348px) Image search: [Google]
2017-08-28_01-45-07.png
118KB, 278x348px
Let's straighten something out here:
I don't hate Eva. I think it's late game is a bit pretentious but as a MotW show, it's got great designs and serviceable action.
No, the reason i shitpost Eva is BECAUSE of the fandom. They are nonmecha fans who think their show is the greatest of its genre and the entire animated medium often without having seen the works that Eva sought to contrast itself against. I don't hate Anno, i even appreciated some of the messagesCONGRATULATIONS he attempted to convey. And I'm sure he doesn't give a shit about my critique of his series. But the Eva fandom does, and that's why i do it. I shitpost about a show from the director of Gunbuster because the fans of Eva are waifuworshipping shameless otaku and newfags who need to watch more anime.
>>
>>15820223
>caring about this
You're doing it wrong.

>talking about "symbolism" in Eva
Oh I see, you're retarded
>>
>>15820430

His worldviews, his motivations (or lack of motivation), the spikes in humor and moodswings, the way he related to his peers, his coping mechanisms (obsessing over a single item, using it as a stress-relief), the way anxiety was portrayed as not only stressful, but also deeply exausting (he's not just scared and giving up, he's too physically and mentally exausted to just go on), and most importantly his process of derealization and detachment.

It's all very subtly written into his character, not as "diseases" that are either momentaneuous or can be cured, like many TV shows and movies seem to do it, but as actual neurological traits of his character, which is how it usually is.
>>
>>15820423
>It's hard to take Eva seriously when its "deep" characters get whored out for figures and spinoff manga every chance Anno gets.

This, 10000 times this.
>>
>>15820467
I don't disagree but for some reason I can't bring myself to appreciate it. Maybe it's about the way emotion is conveyed on artistic level.
In the first place we can't talk about accuracy without a certain level of objectivity.

Anno relies on techniques that try to induce a mental state in the audience that is similar to that of the character. Eva is exclusively stuck in Shinji's perspective, in Shinji's mental state. This would have worked in a more expressionistic work that only strives to convey a certain mood or a certain outlook, but Eva is obviously not this.

You are saying that Shinji's portrayal is surprisingly accurate, but it doesn't actually reflect the way Shinji is, it only reflects the way Shinji sees himself.
>>
>>15820526

>but it doesn't actually reflect the way Shinji is, it only reflects the way Shinji sees himself.

Yeah, that's the point I guess, but I understand why you don't enjoy it.
>>
>>15820223
Hate's a pretty strong word but from time to time threads will pop up. However, I'm pretty sure a lot of people like the show and its characters.

From a personal standpoint I didn't like it as much as the Eva fan but there were things I did like including the character studies. I'm not a fan of the visuals but the designs were fine and considering the budget it had I can't blame the show too much.

Shinji was ok and not all that hard to watch even though he has a pretty negative outlook of himself but others like Asuka were a bit harder to get behind. Rei I think was ok but her early termination didn't allow for some people to sympathize with her as much as they would have liked to. I guess in a way people can argue the show went for realism at the expense of having viewers better connect with some characters but that's what I got out of the show after I finished watching it.
>>
>>15820415
wah im depressed ;c
Psychobabblers are a joke. You are all on such a fucking high horse.
Talk to me when you vomit before making any phonecall or have mild visual and somewhat intense auditory hallucinations.
>>
>>15820415
Oh, and your post, again, sounds like a 'depressed' teenage girl. They all get into that garbage field.
>>
>>15820488

> he can't keep the franchise separate from the show

Are you frequently confused why Char didn't just go down to his local comic shop and buy a Gundam of his own? It would only take him a day or two to assemble!
>>
>blocks your path
>>
>>15820690
>>15820698

>Talk to me when you vomit before making any phonecall or have mild visual and somewhat intense auditory hallucinations.

I do suffer from occasional anxiety-related visual and auditory disturbances, but not everyone does. Those things don't affect everyone exactly the same way.

People speak out about their mental illness exactly because some retards can't comprehend how someone might actually be having a really stressful experience dealing with something that for most people is relatively mundane; it's important to raise awareness about things like this, going "hurr durr ur just whinning like a teenage girl" is incredibly ignorant and encourages people who actually suffer a lot from these conditions to just try to deal with it silently instead of looking for help, resulting in even more severe episodes.
>>
>>15820223
I liked the anime itself, quite a lot. Death&Rebirth and End Of Evangelion were good, but (to me) not really necessary. I didn't like the cgi in Rebuild, and the Rebuild sequels just wandered off into crazyland.

As for the fans, I filter the 14-letter d-word because of them. Little things like the subtle correlation between the names of parts of Nerv HQ and the themes dealt with in the episodes where those stories took place was fun to discuss. People poring over ancient hebrew texts trying to find the Nth Layer of symbolism is just absurd. I even once knew a guy who actually openly stated that Evangelion was the reason he converted to christianity. I did not ask him to explain that chain of thought, nor even attempt to figure out how watching NGE could lead a nonbeliever to become a christian, but I think he was the beginning of my decision to simply avoid hardcore Eva fans.
>>
evangelion is an excellent remake of space runaway ideon
>>
File: 1388603121640.png (515KB, 500x622px)
1388603121640.png
515KB, 500x622px
I just finished EoTV and EoE yesterday, and it's my first time delving into -real- anime seeing that my other stint was back in my teenage years staying up way too late on a school night to catch the midnight runs on toonami, meaning gundam wing kek

but serious question, before I finish 1.0 and watch 2.0 and 3.0, do misato and shinji ever get together? I don't care if I have to read my first manga ever to see it; I was fucking heartbroken when misato got shot and dropped the "That's an adult kiss. Let's do the rest when you get back." line on shinji before pushing him into the elevator and dying on the cold floor.
>>
>>15821035
>dying on the cold floor
If I'd known it would end like this, I'd have changed the carpet like Asuka suggested.
>>
>>15820952
Now you sound even more like a teenage girl.
I don't give a damn about your petty nonsense you smug bastard.
>>
File: 1475760601156.jpg (35KB, 340x270px)
1475760601156.jpg
35KB, 340x270px
>>15821045
well fuck me
>>
File: gamercred.jpg (197KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
gamercred.jpg
197KB, 620x387px
I can understand people getting upset with newfags that just got into anime and saw Eva for the first time, not knowing the origins of mecha and the shows Eva is influenced by, yadda yadda.
But honestly, pretentious poser Gundam/Tomino hipsters can be even more annoying. You know, kiddies who weren't even born yet when Evangelion started to get edited on VHS in the west, but think they are some eminence when it comes to mecha because they saw a couple Tomino shows and shitpost against Eva or Anno in a way to distance themselves from the "plebs", thinking they are "true" mecha fans or some bullshit like that.
Of course, not all Tominofags are anti-Eva, and not all anti-Eva are Tominofags. In fact, I'm a Tominofag, and I know a lot of cool Tominofags but we've been collecting Gundam model kits since the 90s, we can tell the difference between a poser kid and someone who's been into it for a while.
>>
>>15821135
Are you upset that I called you a teenage girl? Don't worry, my favorite /m/ series, and series in general, came a decade later.
>>
>>15821194
Destiny?
>>
>>15821201
no
>>
Extracted from someone who wrongfully posted this on /ssg/:

>I was just wondering why Eva gets all the hate it does.

Fundamentally 2 major and 1 minor reasons.

Because it's a 2 decade+ old anime that's still being peddled as the end all of anime. Furthermore the Eva fandom just can't move on. It's like they're trapped in a 1995 bubble and berate anyone that doesn't drink the coolaid.
Finally Anno continues to try to sell an anime that's way past its sell date. He has become an anime one trick pony, yet evefags hail him as one of the greatest directors ever.
>>
>>15820223
>normalfags like it therefore it's automatically shallow trash
>it takes inspiration from a few previous shows therefore it's a 100% ripoff
>the creator once said that some of the symbolism has no super deep meaning therefore none of the imagery means anything at all
>it relies on emotional storytelling therefore if I project my violent assburgers onto everyone the characters become bad
Behold, the arguments of contrarian anti-eva faggots
>>
File: Gordon deconstructs Shinji.jpg (211KB, 708x1183px) Image search: [Google]
Gordon deconstructs Shinji.jpg
211KB, 708x1183px
>>15820223

The only reason why a 7/10 anime gets so much hate is because the fanbase tends to trumpet it like it was far more than it was. If the Evafags would've just shut the hell up about it, then there wouldn't have been so many people refuting every point that they make and there wouldn't be so many disappointed people who only watched it because some Evafag pushed it on them and then finding out later how mediocre it really was.

There are some things that NGE does well, but overall it's nowhere near as good as the hype leads you to believe.
>>
>>15821845
this

I'm so fucking glad I'm a normie who can appreciate things for what they are rather than some autist weeb who fights other anons over which animated character is best on a Burmese basket weaving board.
>>
>>15820223
>Is it all of the fans making it out to be something which it isnt.
No that's TTGL

>Especially as Anno has come out and said none of the symbolism really means anything,
Good thing nobody gives a shit about the symbolism except autists screaming about what a handful of fans said in the 90's, huh?
>>
>>15821239
>Because it's a 2 decade+ old anime that's still being peddled as the end all of anime

I wouldn't consider it the end-all, but its certainly still a big show that's considered a must watch for people.

Sure, its 2 decades old. But lets be honest, can you name a show (anime in general, doesn't have to be mecha) that made as big a splash and has had the staying power since then? 'Big' anime like Haruhi came and went, but Eva always seems to still be high on everyone's list.
>>
It's a stylish mecha show with clips of an Abnormal Psych course sprinkled in for flavor. It's OK, but anyone claiming that it's great because of its accuracy in its depiction of mental health issues is pretty off the mark. Even in the '90s, even in Japan, psychologists were more in-line with the modern consensus of mental health than Evangelion is. Anno used it for drama - treated the various character's issues like switches that could be turned on and off for the sake of unexpected reactions - and that's as far as he took it. And that's fine, but people embarrass themselves when they claim he did anything more than that.
>>
>>15820223
Because telling someone something they like is shit is funny.
>>
I find with a lot of younger anime viewers, they complain about not understanding the story and how unlikable the characters are. One guy even was surprised it was popular, believing everyone back in the day must have hated it.

I think part of it may be that modern anime viewers don't bang the "anime is art/serious stroytelling" drum as much as their predecessors did. They just want shows that suit their tastes, but they're not going to go on about how Naruto is super serious either.
>>
>>15820223
For me, I really loved Evangelion. It's one of the first anime that I saw when I was a kid. I remember watching this during afternoon after I go home to school.

One thing I disliked in the franchise is the fandom. I mean the DIE-HARD FANS. They're digging too much into the show that they think the story is really deeper than it actually is. They're no different than Serial Experiments Lain fans.
>>
>>15820575
>but I understand why you don't enjoy it.
Really? Because I don't too well.
>>
>>15822348
No, they think that character/plot is the focus of 'written' art because that's what their teachers taught them. They don't know anything about literary form or nonevident theme.

e.g., Macbeth
evident theme:
>guilt is painful
>women are hysterical
nonevident theme:
>superstition is still a driving force
which extends to
>naturalism is growing
Note that all of these are supported by plot points or scenes.
It's pathetic. I don't even like NGE but at least I'm not so autistic to claim it is awful because Shinji's a wuss.
Note that they do this for everything, not just anime.
>>
>>15820922
I get John Wilkes Booth
>>
>>15821035
Watch Misatos death again, but this time, just as she's talking to Kaji go through frame by frame, you'll love seeing your waifu get blown literally in half
>>
File: 1384123829347.jpg (179KB, 1407x787px) Image search: [Google]
1384123829347.jpg
179KB, 1407x787px
>>15824034
anon why
>>
>>15820376
>It also has actual Christian symbolism
Mind spoonfeeding me? I don't think I've noticed
>>
The more times you watch Eva you begin to realize how fast the show falls to shit about halfway through and becomes utter garbage, I know Evafags are gonna argue "budget problems" but when a show starts out like the bastard child of Ultraman and Gundam then devolves into a complete clusterfuck where any positive character development falls apart, then when you realize the show has a fan base that views the show for all it's blatant flaws as an artistic masterpiece among anime not just of it's time but of all time it's clear to see why the series garners so much hate, it also doesn't help that Anno has rode the shows popularity so hard that any of his other works since generally reeks of Eva be it thematically or artistically
>>
>>15821035
This part didn't affect me at all.

She was his keeper. Her mission was to get the snot nosed punks testosterone going so he'd get his ass in gear and pilot the eva.

Mission accomplished. Time to die.
>>
>>15824673
The issue is that the show's popularity only blew up in the 2nd half, which is the one you complain about there. If you read a ratings list for Eva, the first half has pretty mediocre numbers, but then it makes a big jump to mainstream ratings (not just "good for anime") towards ending. I'm not at my home pc, but I'll post the list later.
>>
Shinji and Asuka can be frustrating characters to level with.
>>
>>15821035
>Wants Misato end
You could watch RahXephon
>>
It's just so insanely overrated and the fanbase is one of the most annoying on the planet. Ironically, it seems a fan's like of it is directly proportional to how little they understand it.
>>
>>15821035
Why do you want a 30yo with a 14yo? if you think that she was being serious in that scene then your fucking stupid she was trying to get him to go pilot the Eva knowing full well she was going to die seconds later, in other scenes she may have gone to town on weak ass shiji but not this one
>>
>>15820223
Because it was the entry point for many faggots that believe that anime started and ended with it; annoying kids whose whole anime knowledge was a few trendy anime from that time, never saw anything beyond what cable had to offer yet talked as if they knew squat shit.
>>
>>15821135
I`m born in 1998 and started out with Evangelion,then grew to appreciate older shows too,getting into Gundam as well. What does that make me?
>>
>>15827515
a lil' shit who doesn't even kno what tf

jk, as long as you keep an open mind and try other series, you're golden.
>>
>>15820223

It has tons of meaning, you're just too fucking stupid.

The crosses appear when someone dies and becomes LCL (one with creation) again.

The moon becomes as blood just in bible prophecy which the end times are coming.

A rainbow appears when angels die in the movies because the world is flooded, and in the bible the rainbow represents the promise god will never again flood the world.

Just because you're fucking stupid doesn't mean there's no meaning in something.
>>
File: 1476051572627.jpg (34KB, 960x498px) Image search: [Google]
1476051572627.jpg
34KB, 960x498px
>>15827334
>Why do you want a 30yo with a 14yo?
I interpreted her personality as being younger than 30 and shinji's as older than a mere teenager. My first relationship was with a 30 year old when I was 20 so I'm a little biased towards seeing it work out here.

I know she was just trying to inspire Shinji to man up and do what he needs to do, but there were still more than a few moments throughout the show where there's obviously something between them, and I personally found it heartwarming and heartbreaking.

>mfw she tried to hold his hand and he bitched out when she needed comfort
>>
>>15827868
I tried Macross,but it felt like annoying normie garbage. On the other hand VOTOMs is the most lit shit I`ve seen in a while.
>>
>>15828810
Macross is my favorite tho...
>>
>>15828810

At least try SDF Macross. One of the best mecha series out there IMO. Maybe even plus. Dont bither with 7 or any of the other newer ones though.
>>
>>15820223
Lel
>>
>>15827868
>Evafag
>Open mind
Decide yourself.
>>
>>15820223

I like NGE, I just hate the vocal minority of fans who believe it was created by god himself. Same reason why I don't hate Gaogaigar despite the faggotry of "he who shall not be named"
>>
>>15820223
Eva is amazing. Great action, great animation, music, story, characters, details, almost everything. Bad thing is Eva so great gives bad impression to anime after it that wants to be somewhat Eva. So
Modern anime mostly sucks ass coz of Eva.
This is why i hate it. And love it.
>>
>>15821845
kek

>>15821916
lying to yourself doesn't help anyone
>>
File: 15043762342516319.jpg (3MB, 4824x3388px)
15043762342516319.jpg
3MB, 4824x3388px
I like eva!
>>
Is 1.0 a straight up remake of the first several episodes of Eva? I've heard the Rebuild films make changes but I never hear anything about 1.0 in particular, just 2.0 and 3.33(?).
>>
>>15820267
>Toonami
>Eva
>>
>>15820223
>I was just wondering why Eva gets all the hate it does
It's shit so it's hated. It's not rocket science mate
>>
>>15835254
Which one is that? The Koto model kit?
>>
>>15820223
The anime is not the problem, Gainax fans are ignorant and obnoxious as fuck.
>>
>>15835332
This, honestly. Hell, I can't dislike Anno, he gave us Gunbuster. I sometimes don't agree with his directing (particularly his focus on child psychology) but what can you do?
>>
>>15836040
>he gave us Gunbuster

This is supposed to be a good thing?
>>
>>15820223
When someone's obnoxious you want to tear down what they're being obnoxious about
>>
File: 1503430049321.jpg (128KB, 723x1217px) Image search: [Google]
1503430049321.jpg
128KB, 723x1217px
>>15836089
An excellent thing, actually.
>>
>>15820223
People think eva is bad?
>>
>>15835272
3.33 is a clusterfuck. The first 20min are boring to tears and extremely confusing. The middle part is pretty great though it ends with 5min of extremely rushed character development. And the rest of the movie is an overly elaborate fight scene.
( 1.0 and 2.0 - ending is all a remake of the first half of the series )
>>
>>15820354
Gasaraki
>>
>>15821135
You're just mad you got called out as a pleb.
>>
>>15836280
>( 1.0 and 2.0 - ending is all a remake of the first half of the series )
I thought i read somewhere that 2.0 is overly shounen-like in its direction with characters acting as mere archetypical shadows of themselves. The author of such thing i read denoted it as Anno fuckery and conjectured it was leading to something but that it was also the reason 3.33 was shit.
>>
>>15836336
>I thought i read somewhere that 2.0 is overly shounen-like in its direction with characters acting as mere archetypical shadows of themselves
I know what you're talking about, and that was just a fanboy rationalizing a shit product from a franchise he likes.
>>
I wish I could gather every fan of this show into a single room and then run into the middle with a nuclear bomb strapped to my chest. It would be for the good of the mecha community to remove them from existence along with any memory I had of Evangelion and it's fanbase.
>>
File: agesgh.png (163KB, 480x386px) Image search: [Google]
agesgh.png
163KB, 480x386px
>>15836348
Thanks for clearing that up, anon-kun!
>>
>>15836336
Why yes. 1.0 and 2.0 are shit. 3.33 is where the feces tank exploded. (though i like 3.33 :p)
>>
>>15836348
Nobody is necessarily defending Rebuild mate, it's a clusterfuck. I just think the original series + teoe is great.
>>
>>15836356
But the show would still exist and draw in new fans.
>>
>>15820438
Well, the thing is, Evangelion was very successful everywhere. And since it has that new-agey panreligional atmosphere that was a huge thing in the end of last century it attracted a fanbase made of hipsters who thought they were special for watching and "understanding" it. Many of those kiddies don't even know that Anno directed Gunbuster before. They don't even know that Gunbuster existed, for that matter. But they act smug and all-knowingly, pestering the social media with their half witted comments about how there was nothing before Evangelion, and if there's anything after Evangelion it's because it copied Evangelion.
Still, to be honest, they are not that different to guys who got into anime through Naruto or Death Note. I guess Evangelion's problem is that it was the first entry anime for millennials, who are usually ignorant but petulant, loud and annoying. It's a generational problem, I guess.
>>
>>15835272
ill break it down for you anon

1.0 - straight up remake of the first 6 episodes, with some stuff cut out and some scenes added in (shinji sees Lilith near the end for example)
2.0 - shit goes way different but follows a similar path. asuka fights a clock monster as her introduction, she also pilots Unit-03 or whatever as it goes berserk, third impact happens at the end with the zeruel fight.
3.0 set like 14 years into the future even though no-one has aged, theres nothing in common with the original series except the characters anymore.
>>
>>15820223
>why Eva gets all the hate it does
It's one of the 5 most critically acclaimed anime ever, spawning hugely profitable (though less acclaimed) blockbuster film series.
>Is it all of the fans making it out to be something which it isnt
Fans don't know shit. So this is actually pretty accurate. The reason Eva is a masterpeice is because of the excellent characters and art direction. It has nothing to do with "muh deconstructions."
>as Anno has come out and said
No he didn't.
>none of the symbolism really means anything
Anno may not be a theologian, but he uses the imagery appropriately in places, and it is still quite suggestive. I'm sure Anno knows what a crucifix, angels and magi are. The references he makes are as much pop culture references as religious ones to be honest.
>Or do you just not like the anime itself and the story it tells?
This is why some people actually don't like Eva. A very valid opinion that I personally do not share.
>the fact that its now ((too mainstream)) make it something to be avoided
Avoiding something because iit's popular is incredibly pathetic. If anyone's doing this, just disregard their opinion entirely. I also don't know what you're trying to do with those parentheses there, but you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>15821046
What a toxic individual.
>>
>>15835275
>he didn't watch two episodes of eva air during giant robot week in 2003
>he didnt watch the whole series air from October 20, 2005 to April 21, 2006
>>
>>15837029
>It's one of the 5 most critically acclaimed anime ever
Opinion disregarded.
>>
>>15838026
>arguing with facts
>>
>>15838026
What rock do you live under?
>>
>>15838148
When I'm presented with facts, I argue with facts.
When Anons make shit out of their asses I don't bother.
>>
>>15837029
>Eva
>masterpiece
lol no
>>
teh rei
>>
>>15822010
What's wrong with TTGL?
>>
>>15838148
Facts don't exist, though.
>>
>>15837193
*triggered*
>>
>>15843065
It's just a Getter Robo clone
>>
>>15843080
What about all the meaning behind what it meant to grow up, and human desires and sacrifice for the better of the world?
>>
>>15843065
Some parts of the fanbase.
>>
>>15843083
That's not just a Getter Robo clone, that's most (if not all) Shounen tropes.
>>
>>15843083
>better of the world
Do people actually think this is profound?
>>
>>15820223
I liked EVA, the real problem are the fanboys who say it's the one and only good mecha anime
same thing for TTGL

ps: episode 32 of mazinger Z is literally evangelion
>>
>>15843197
This. It was maybe profound if it was your first anime but even then it is almost self-realized in how shallow it is: the whole fucking reason Rossiu exists as a character is to tell them that they're being unreasonably reckless.
The callbacks. style, and designs (particularly of the Anti-Spirals and Lordgenome) were top tier though.
>>
>>15843083
You know ? Naruto is about the importance of family and friendship and following your dreams, and well, it's Naruto. That doesn't make it good or deep.
>>
>>15829022
I went to about episode 27 of the first Macross,before dropping it,because nothing fun was happening and I already was feeling I knew how it`d end.
>>
>>15830629
I also happen to be a UCfag,thank you very much.
>>
>>15820223
EVA is mostly hated because newfags and EVAgeeks obnoxiously hype it up as one of the best anime ever made when it's really a huge mess with some good designs and great scenes once in a while, despite the low budget.

EVA itself, as a story and anime, has very little actual value, especially if you compare it to anime from the same time, it had cultural impact at the time because it was extremely depressing, schizophrenic and negative(the same can be said for Ideon though), but at the end of the day it is more interesting as Anno's own psichiatric journal than a piece of media in terms of actual narrative, which is also undoubtely part of what made it so popular mind you.
Also, I bet most of the hate it gets is because Anno is a fucking hypocrite and plasters EVA on whatever can make even a quick buck despite being one of those who bitched the hardest about True Otaku Cultureâ„¢ and how much he hated EVA and himself for creating it.
>>
>>15845080
>was just wondering why Eva gets all the hate it does. Is it all of the fans making it out to be something which it isnt. Especially as Anno has come out and said none of the symbolism really means anything, Or do you just not like the anime itself and the story it tells?I quite like the story behind eva and even the symbolism (even if it has no meaning). I also think it hold up as a really good anime

Out of the 26 episodes the only one that had really impressed me all those years ago is Operation Yashima. The action, the music, the pacing, the shots, everything came together perfectly. It's no wonder the same episode was re-used as a base for one of the new Evangelion films. Here is where you see the genius in Anno. Unfortunately he never managed to keep the same standard across the other 25 episodes.
>>
>>15845080
Very accurate. Not to mention faggots with boners for child psychology pretending that no anine character is deeper than Shinji just because Anno had Kojima-tier subtlety (that is to say none, being that there are literal out-of-place conversations where Misato says "Wow, you must really hate your father") when portraying Shinji's feels towards Gendo.
Not to Gundamfag too hard, but Amuro had an entire episode dedicated to him wrestling with the fact his genius father was now brain damaged from the incident in Episode 1. Not to mention Kamille's very different reactions to both his parents deaths. The content is still there, Tomino just doesn't spoonfeed you.
>>
>>15845104
At nerv it's normal small talk to discuss everyone's specific personal hatred for Gendou, like how you'd chat with coworkers about the weather
>>
>>15820354
Shingu
>>
>>15820223
Mostly because of Shinji.

The vast majority of Eva fans sympathize with his existential struggle and see the parallel psychoses across the rest of the cast. On the flip side, most Eva haters just see him as a whiny pussy that they can't stomach and usually like Asuka best because she shares their disdain for Shinji's self-loathing an wallowing in pain.

This is why Misato is such a great character: she's best of both worlds.

She has the life experience and emotional sensitivity to understand where Shinji is coming from, but has matured enough to understand that his pain is nowhere near as special as he thinks it is, that life is hard for everyone, and that -- while a certain amount of understanding/patience with him is necessary to help him -- life requires all of us to just get the fuck over it at some point if we want to survive.

Very few viewers and characters in the show really get both sides of it.
>>
why is a non-mecha show on /m/?
>>
>>15845808
Because /a/ is under martial law.

>>15845481
What if I think Shinji is a pussy faggot AND Asuka is a stupid cunt?
>>
>>15845921
>What if I think Shinji is a pussy faggot AND Asuka is a stupid cunt?

This
>>
File: 1433266146411.jpg (115KB, 1124x628px) Image search: [Google]
1433266146411.jpg
115KB, 1124x628px
>>15845481
>Misatofags
>>15845921
>What if I think Shinji is a pussy faggot AND Asuka is a stupid cunt?
You're person with the right priorities
>>
>>15845481
She's as bad as the other two. Yiu only like her because of her ass.
>>
>>15845481
No, she's just a disgusting old hag.
Shinji isn't a pussy, he's just irrelevant as is everything is in that shit series. For one, his pain actually is very special because it is only applicable to a select few who can pilot. At least consider the fucking situation you sperg.
>>
>>15845808
Because no matter how hard we push for it, mods won't delete Kamen Rider threads.
>>
From my local point of view? It takes up an incredibly large amount of space for discussion of anime stuff, so less other things get talked about.
If I go to my local anime convention, chances are there will be a LOT of Eva merch compared to other things, even with the show being so old. This means less space for other things I might be interested in.

Though I will say I don't dislike it, I just want to see discussion of other things flourish.
>>
>>15848133
I highly doubt Eva has more merch and all that crap at a con than modern popular shows like Sword Art Online, Attack on Titan, My Hero Academia and a few others.I find it very hard to believe given.
>>
>>15847503
>his pain actually is very special because it is only applicable to a select few who can pilot

Meh, yes and no.

Yes, most people have no idea what it's like to engage in life or death battles with giant aliens and be subject all the unique manner of physical and mental trauma they dole out.

No, for all the myriad ways in with the Angels and Nerv torment Shinji, almost all of it boils down to human experiences that are hardly unique to being an Eva pilot (e.g. a shitty father and dead mother, being a child soldier, life or death battle, enduring extreme physical pain and mental trauma, etc.).

Far and away the part that is most unique to his situation is literally having the fate of the world resting on his shoulders (and at age 15). Pretty much no one has ever known that feel on the scale he did.
>>
>>15847503
>disgusting old hag
Lolicon detected.
>>
>>15820223
>Is it all of the fans making it out to be something which it isn
Pretty much. I love Eva but rarely ever talk about it because of how obnoxious the fanbase can get at times.
>>
File: 1430252256895.jpg (229KB, 751x1063px)
1430252256895.jpg
229KB, 751x1063px
>>
>>15849482
BTFO
>>
>>15820354
Zambot 3 did the whole "consciences for the population" better than Eva, and it really had a great ending that was a complete slap in the face to the main characters. In general Eva is way better than Zambot though, Zambot had great ideas but is really held back by it's budget and how the story is told.

Ideon and Be invoked played around with the idea that the main cast might have no control of the giant robot they've been using and that it might be something that has it's own motivations, and personally I think the last few episodes of Ideon, and be invoked itself are way better than Eva+EoE although the series itself has some issues with pacing and overall the series itself is weaker than Eva, but if you compared be invoked to Eva/EoE it's a one sided stomp in favor of ideon.
>>
>>15820406
The problem with Eva and casuals who watched it - and nothing else - and now think they're smart, is that Eva isn't some religious parable or deep metaphorical allegory for the alienation of youth in modern Japan, it's a deconstruction of the tropes of robot anime as a whole.

Effectively they're suffering from anime pareidolia because they've never seen Mazinger Z, Gundam, Macross, Getter, etc and lack the framework to understand the deconstruction taking place.

Also Ideon did the whole thing better years earlier.
>>
>>15851470

Dude, your analysis flew out the window the moment you used the word that shall not be named. I wish tvtropes had never been invented, it's a fucking disgrace what it has done to people.
>>
There's a lot of Evangelion threads types: waifu threads, love threads, plot discussion threads, mecha designs threads, hate threads, or, just like this one, simply asking why it's loved/hated threads. But why is it that fucking ALWAYS, no matter what the post actually is about, there's some retard(s) with the "I understood Evangelion" bullshit?
>>
>>15851488
Oh fuck off. It's a perfectly cromulent noun that predates that shitty site by at least 300 years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trope_(literature)
>>
>>15851560

The word "deconstruction" obviously has it uses. It is just not justifed when talking about Evangelion or any other anime show. These shows are not deconstructing anything at all. Some of them take previous artistic/thematic influences and add their own spin to it. Other shows (or the same) can criticise something, but criticising something is not deconstruction.
People that use deconstruction as a synonym for criticisim are fucking ignorants. And tvtropes has had a big bad fucking influence on creating these so-called experts. And of course I blame anime sites that use willy-nilly this word as if using it gave them a patina of respectability or academic kudos which is nonsense but the masses don't care. And so end up each single time with something "anime blah blah blah deconstructs ...." that's just plain stupid. Use the fucking right words for the right concept. It's not as if English is lacking in words is it ?
>>
>>15851615
Target destroyed.
>>
>>15851615
Except Evangelion does exactly that, you clueless pseud.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deconstruction

It takes the forms, expectations and semiotics of previous works in the genre and then runs them counter to expectations to highlight the unspoken contradictions and lapses of logic within said genre. Admittedly it does this in the most surface-level manner possible (the teenage boy does not want to pilot the robot, nor is he called upon by destiny to do so; the scientist/father figure intends to effectively destroy the human race rather than preserve it its present form, is indifferent towards his son figure, abuses the power of science for his own ends; the robots are not actually robots; and so forth). It doesn't take the form of a direct critique or measured analysis, so it falls under the purview of deconstruction.

Maybe try actually engaging in a discussion next time instead of trying to craft linguistic "gotchas" to look cool on an anonymous Javanese shadow puppet exchange.
Thread posts: 158
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.