[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is /m/'s opinion on this movie?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 10

File: image.jpg (133KB, 500x710px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
133KB, 500x710px
What is /m/'s opinion on this movie?
>>
File: 1401207452104.webm (3MB, 1280x688px) Image search: [Google]
1401207452104.webm
3MB, 1280x688px
The perfect way to reboot Godzilla into a terrifying figure again, the only thing that hampers it is the googly eyes from the front view
>>
Other than the off looking godzilla suit and the barely ass functional godzilla animatronic.

It's a fantastic movie At least in the top 5 for me. Probably the best looking of the godzilla films, actually compelling human characters, great score, and so on.

it's also the film shin godzilla wishes it was nearly as good as
>>
>>15807466
Boring.
>>
File: 1503287121132.jpg (9KB, 229x260px) Image search: [Google]
1503287121132.jpg
9KB, 229x260px
>>15807466
Heart was in the right place. Falls very short with the execution though. Since it's one of the few Godzilla movies that attempt to be dark and treat the titular character as a genuine villain, its proponents like to make it out to be more than it actually is. The human element falls completely flat (both the acting and the characters are bad), Godzilla finds himself sporting an unflattering transitional era redesign, the action is often dull, and the quality of the special effects are inconsistent. However, I give it credit for its atmosphere and music. Commenting on the political landscape of the time was also nice.

It falls into the Godzilla Raids Again trap of aspiring to be like Gojira and suffering gravely from its inability to accomplish its goals.
>>
>>15808116
>Godzilla finds himself sporting an unflattering transitional era redesign

The previous Godzilla movie was Terror of MechaGodzilla. If you compare that Godzilla design to the G1984 design, G1984 design looks great, much more menacing, so it was an improvement at the time.

If you are saying the G1984 design was unflattering compared to Heisei design or current designs, maybe.... but for the time it was in, the G1984 design could not be called unflattering compared to the G movies before it.
>>
File: 75-89.jpg (351KB, 1642x857px) Image search: [Google]
75-89.jpg
351KB, 1642x857px
>>15808179
>>
>>15808179
He look really bad at times.

> the G1984 design could not be called unflattering compared to the G movies before it.
Are you one of those people who dislike all Showa designs? If so you're missing out on ShodaiGoji, MosuGoj, and SoshingekiGoji
>>
>>15807466
The suit was a great step forward, and the movie did a lot to dispell a lot of the child friendly aura he had after the late showa movies, but it was ultimately overshadowed by the sheer perfection of BioGoji's suit and now Shin Godzilla is an even more dramatic and terrifying Goji the movie feels like some sort of important yet ultimately intermediary step between better things.
>>
I think the worst aspect about Godzilla 1984 is that the movie lost its foot once Godzilla enter Tokyo, when the fun is supposed to begin. I like the tense political drama but Toho was really struggling of how to deal with the big G. On the next movies, Toho put its shit together on the spectacle side.
>>
Probably my favorite of of Toho's solo reboots.Somehow I end up watching it. The perfect version of this film is this unholy mash of English cut and the original version. Like basically adding in the Raymond Burr scenes and final monologue...and basically taking out/cutting down the Dr. Pepper guy.
>>
>>15808116
Basically. Just watch Shin Godzilla if you want a legitimately great, serious Godzilla film.
>>
>>15807603
>top 5
>better than Shin Godzilla

Shut the fuck up.
>>
>>15808243
>Are you one of those people who dislike all Showa designs?

No, I have a fondness for those because I grew up on them.

You have to admit the Showa design did make Godzilla less fierce looking and more kid-friendly, to go along with the "earth's protector" role they turned him into in the 60s and 70s. The 1984 design made him look threatening again.
>>
>>15808359
Shin godzilla is just decent and nothing more. The only reason it gets as praised as it is because of the anno fanwank
>>
>>15810546
How do you account for people who like Shin Godzilla despite not liking Anno?
>>
>>15810546
And the only reason it gets shit on is by people that just dislike Anno because of Eva, really tickles the noggin.
>>
>>15807466
Until Shin came out it was really the only movie that had a heavy focus on how other nations would react to Godzilla which is something I was always interested in so I will forever appreciate it for that. Also I just have a huge boner towards anything about Cold War era politics.
>>
>>15811882
HE'S RIGHT
>>
>>15810546
So what was up with the creatures in the tip of his tail at the end
>>
>>15812216
Anno making an ambigous ending, though I wouldn't lie about it being a genuinely chilling scene
>>
>>15810546
>Shin godzilla is just decent and nothing more
Decent at worst. Still better than 99% of the franchise unless you're watching these movies for ironic enjoyment.
>>
>>15810546
Imagine being so up your own ass about hating things that are popular that you have to say good things are bad in order to appear cool.
>>
>>15807603
I can actually confirm the latter part of your post
I was at G-fest and Shinji Higuchi did a whole thing about his progress on Shin Goji and his time doing other toku stuff. He started out working on Godzilla 1984 (as an uncredited helper) and didn't like how Godzilla's tail had to be so short on the suit so that's kind of funny.
>>
>>15813821
Provided that the only films you've seen are Ebirah horror of the deep, revenge, or godzilla vs megalon

>>15814003
>claims anon to be hating shin because it's popular despite anon saying it was decent

what
>>
File: do amuse me.jpg (143KB, 850x1017px) Image search: [Google]
do amuse me.jpg
143KB, 850x1017px
>>15814100
>Provided that the only films you've seen are Ebirah horror of the deep, revenge, or godzilla vs megalon
What do you have in mind? From a writing, directing, acting, cinematographic, and special effects perspective of course. Maybe a few of Honda's first few films and Kaneko's GMK. Virtually everything else is mediocre at best.
>>
>>15814193
Vs biollante, vs destroyah, Godzilla 2014, and vs mechagodzilla just to name a few
>>
>>15810840
What do you not understand about Anno fanwank, anon? It's clear as day! I don't know how it can be any simpler than that!
>>
>>15814100
>godzilla vs megalon
WE'LL HARM THEM!!!
>>
File: 1892189109121.jpg (325KB, 905x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1892189109121.jpg
325KB, 905x1280px
>>15814409
>Vs biollante
Best movie to come out of the Heisei Era. Has a large amount of shortcomings though.

>vs destroyah
Standard mediocre Heisei fare that people love almost solely because of its emotional climax. Features some of the dullest human drama in the franchise, almost no emotional involvement (sans Miki) or energy whatsoever. Remember that the world is supposed to be ending. The effects are all over the place with poorly handled matte scenes and obvious Bandai toys. Also, the Oxygen Destroyer connection just felt like a neat excuse to bring Destoroyah into the picture and the film should have dwelt more on the repercussions of recreating it. Serizawa died for this. Allegedly Japanese critics were unkind towards when it released and it wouldn't surprise me. Ignore the last twenty minutes and come up with legitimate reasons why this should be considered 1) one of the best Godzilla movies and 2) a good movie in general.

>Godzilla 2014
Strong first 30 minutes that are followed by a deplorable 2nd act and an unsatisfying 3rd act. Ford Brody isn't a strong enough character to carry the movie on his own and he has no one interesting to interact with. He doesn't even monologue. We know next to nothing about him and don't spend enough time with his family to care much about them. Telling his family to stay in a city that is about to be overrun with monsters and a nuclear weapon was truly a baffling decision in a film that stresses so much about taking care of your loved ones. Contrived drama. Usually the monster action can compensate for such crippling weaknesses. Except the little that there is has been chopped into very small segments and are contained within the last 15 minutes of a 2 hour film. Production value is great but production value doesn't necessarily make a great movie. Has nice visuals though.

>vs mechagodzilla
Are you talking about Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla, Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla (II), or Godzilla X MechaGodzilla?
>>
>>15807466
>What is /m/'s opinion on this movie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0hfmLWi2-M
>>
>>15814703
Wow, that is the only time I have ever heard Godzilla sound like a bitch.
>>
File: 1503589682097.webm (3MB, 856x440px) Image search: [Google]
1503589682097.webm
3MB, 856x440px
> some of the bests effects of the Heisei series
where did it all go wrong?
>>
>>15815946

Yearly movie releasing took a hit
>>
>>15815946
Kawakita started drinking on set because Biollante and Gunhed both bombed.
>>
>>15816660
Yamato Takeru bombing probably didn't help, either.
>>
>>15816687
That was in 1994. Kawakita's effects were already significantly worse than his work on Biollante and King Ghidorah by that point. Yamato Takeru really didn't have an effect on his work in Destoroyah or the Mothra flicks.
>>
>>15810546
Really? Because I'm fucking sick of evangelion and absolutely despise decisive battle being every other song.
Pick another arbitrary excuse as to why it's praised.
>>
>>15816660
How did he get away with this? Could Toho not find anyone else in Japan who knew how to do special effects?
>>
>>15818305
VS King Ghidorah got a special "award" (they don't have an award for special effects like they do for director, actor, etc.) from the Japanese Academy for it's special effects, despite how they were worse than Biollante's. The films also still made money so they didn't mind. It wasn't until the first Gamera film by Kaneko that Toho's executives were literally embarrassed by what others did with half the budget.
>>
>>15818458
>It wasn't until the first Gamera film by Kaneko that Toho's executives were literally embarrassed by what others did with half the budget.
Before accepting Daiei's offer Kaneko was passionate about directing Godzilla vs Mothra (1992) but got rejected by Toho.
>>
File: 2303240422.jpg (171KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
2303240422.jpg
171KB, 768x1024px
Which movies had the better special effects? Eiji Tsubaraya's direct work on Godzilla (Gojira - Monster Zero) or the Daimajin Trilogy?
>>
>>15807466
Extremely dull. Doesn't really do anything new or exciting.
>>
>>15818959
Honestly I can't decide they're both pretty good.
>>
>>15818458
>despite how they were worse than Biollante's
Why did Biollante get overlooked like it did during its initial release? Disappointment at box office and no awards to bring home. If the recent Japanese polls are any indication it seems to be viewed pretty favorably now.
https://youtu.be/cX8igEZwHo8
>>
File: 1984.jpg (180KB, 500x593px) Image search: [Google]
1984.jpg
180KB, 500x593px
>>15807476
>a terrifying figure
>>
>>15821272
It was rushed and Toho barely marketed the film 2 weeks before release.
>>
>>15821272
Because it didn't involve any classic godzilla foes, which is why they brought ghidorah and so on back in heisei
>>
File: biollante.gif (2MB, 350x225px) Image search: [Google]
biollante.gif
2MB, 350x225px
>>15821391
>It was rushed
Production? It seemed like a lot of time, or at least effort, went into this movie. The team seemed energetic and eager to experiment with different ideas. Stop-motion animation, traditional animation, Godzilla POV, and the field of flowers. Biollante herself is an impressive work of art. This film boasts some of the best effects of the entire series. By the very next entry, VS Ghidorah, all of the ambition is gone.
>>
at best: an interesting transitional film for the series. but vs. biollante is an improvement in every way. only watchable for completionists or having the distinction of only being one of the two g-films made in the 80s
>>
>>15808316
>Raymond Burr
Really an underrated addition to the series. Much of it is the recent push against "King of the Monsters."
>>
>>15808316
Wasn't that on Dailymotion?
>>
>>15808179

The suit was literally falling apart by the time of Terror
>>
>>15821272
With absolutely no prior knowledge towards it imagine how you'd react if someone told you the newest Godzilla movie had him fighting a giant flower.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.