[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is VOTOMS worth the download?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: mzgvnzazxh4vghvoqgv6px0vuzz.jpg (490KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
mzgvnzazxh4vghvoqgv6px0vuzz.jpg
490KB, 1200x675px
For some reason I really like the opening song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwV0M4-H9G4

But I'm afraid the animation will be crap, just like 0079 Gundam and SDF-1 Macross.

Why didn't anybody do a 3 part compilation movie of this series?
>>
>>15803179
The animation is very QUALITY at times, but not as much so as Gundam or Macross, IIRC. There are a few derpy expressions here and there but nothing anywhere near as bad as the knife fight.

But you know, that's a good point, I never thought about it before...I think a compilation movie of each arc (Uoodo, Kummen, Sunsa, and Quent) might have been cool. Dunno why they never tried that.
>>
>>15803179
It is worth it and is a really entertaining series, but if you're complaining about animation on things like Macross, then you might not be right for it.

I'd recommend gaining a better appreciation for classic anime before attempting to watch, more likely you'll just be too hung up on the animation to appreciate the show.
>>
>>15803192
I could only endure Macross because muh childhood. I'm from Brazil, so I really saw Macross with Mari's songs. Not the robotech abomination, which they also aired here but I never liked it.
>>
>>15803179
watch space adventure cobra instead
>>
>>15803186
>But you know, that's a good point, I never thought about it before...I think a compilation movie of each arc (Uoodo, Kummen, Sunsa, and Quent) might have been cool. Dunno why they never tried that.
They did, but they are only recaps of something like 30 or 50 minutes each, iirc:
http://kissanime.ru/Anime/Armored-Trooper-Votoms-Recaps
>>
>>15803327
Oh, cool. Just recaps, though, it might have been nice to have re-animated segments like the Gundam movies. But yeah, still pretty cool.
>>
>>15803327
Are they any good? My first thought is that summarizing Votoms would work about as well as A Contact did.
>>
File: tumblr_mf448vLvrp1r9e2uvo1_250.gif (127KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mf448vLvrp1r9e2uvo1_250.gif
127KB, 250x188px
>>15803179
DO IT
>>
>>15803179
I considered the animation to be very good, but that's by my standards, and I had no problem with things like 0079, Tekkaman, and Zambot, let alone SDF Macross. If you took issue with Macross, I do think the animation of VOTOMS will distract you.

The problem is not necessarily that it's "poor", it's just a very different style. Nowadays the same thing would be done in CG. What you stand to gain in hand-animation is different; you might have better, more dramatic shading and carefully painted backdrops, hand drawn effects like cross hatching and movement lines. Hand-drawn when done well is beautiful, but you might need to get used to it, because it sacrifices the perfect proportions, sharp images, and incredibly smooth movement of modern CG. I suggest you just try to enjoy the hand-animation and find what you like about it, although perhaps it is not for everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyu1ShmG8ow
>>
>the OVAs have better animations
>the stories progressively get worse

really makes you think
>>
File: 1238960049991.png (429KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1238960049991.png
429KB, 640x480px
Do it for him
>>
File: chiricodoneright.png (284KB, 1370x1695px) Image search: [Google]
chiricodoneright.png
284KB, 1370x1695px
>>
>>15803179
>But I'm afraid the animation will be crap,
Oh boo hoo, have a cry. A little wonky animation wouldn't stop a real man. Whatever, if you're gonna be such a softcock then you don't deserve to watch good shows.
>>
On the final arc right now.

Honestly the show has been pretty insipid so far. Boring, static characters and meandering plotlines abound.

In technical aspects, the anime is good at telling things visually when needed, and the fights are great.
>>
>>15803659
The mech animations from the last three OVAs all lose to the stuff from the hand drawn era though. Dunno what drugs you'd have to be on to think Pailsen Files' mech animation is better than Shining Heresy or Roots or whatever.
>>
>>15803179
Id have to recommend you try to be less of a fag before watching something as cool as Votoms
Check out Space Adventure Cobra for another awesome Opening song
>>
>>15803179
>convince me to watch this thing i claim to be a fan of but am not actually a fan of because i can't even get past the antiquity of the art
Just stop trying to watch mecha at this point and go back to /a/.
>>
>>15803705
>Chirico smiling.
RARE.
>>
Eh, I love votoms but I don't have issues with old animation. I don't get what people expect from animation, like, it's not gonna have the keyframe count if mob psycho because that show aimed at that peak. It's gonna have water color backgrounds because that was a popular style. Shows don't exist in a vacuum and they have the style they got, you can't make a scale from bad to good of all animation.

If you hate vanilla and cocona then yeah, that's a legit reasson to avoid the show.
>>
Like, against streaming it?
I have rewatched parts at random or when watching the original ovas. I think it has enough stuff to deserve at least a selective rewatch. But if you want to stream it to make sure go and do that.

The OP is so OP they kept using it for decades
>>
No, it's boring and repetitive.
>>
>>15803179
Fuck yes it's great
>>
>>15803659
Focusing on just the spec ops portions of the Red Shoulders was a huge narrative mistake.
>>
>>15804431
>if you hate the best two characters in the series, that's a legit reason to avoid watching the show

I fucking love that little gang of crooks.
>>
>>15805209
I didn't mean it like that, but obviously if you hate the best characters of a show you won't like it.
I personally found them lovable but more than the animation or themes, their style of comedy is what ages the anime the most.
>>
File: tumblr_o6exqimYPA1v91lmjo1_400.gif (2MB, 375x281px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o6exqimYPA1v91lmjo1_400.gif
2MB, 375x281px
>>
>>15803289
>>15803875
Speaking of which: I'm nearing the end of the original Space Adventure Cobra series now. Are the OVAs any good?
>>
>>15809662
I enjoyed them quite a bit. The music is good and the stories are classic Cobra. They don't have the same charm as the original animation, with its postcard memories and all that, and you may not like the CG much, but I had fun.
>>
File: chiricosuitsup.gif (1023KB, 500x371px) Image search: [Google]
chiricosuitsup.gif
1023KB, 500x371px
>>15803179
Votoms has pretty good animation
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.