[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is it about leaving Earth that makes people rebellious,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

File: 1503017142236.jpg (172KB, 1600x1133px) Image search: [Google]
1503017142236.jpg
172KB, 1600x1133px
What is it about leaving Earth that makes people rebellious, murderous fucks?

I ain't talking about just Gundam either.

Something about sending people out into space makes them not only want to break away from Earth, it makes them want to come back to Earth and kill people.

Why is that?
>>
Because living on Earth is the ultimate form of privilegeCharwasright
>>
>>15801055
Lack of gravity and breathing pure oxygen from the colonies can make you go mad
>>
>>15801055
Because living in space sucks and they all end up wanting to come back
>>
>>15801078
>pure oxygen
Moeagare
>>
>>15801055
>What is it about leaving Earth that makes people rebellious, murderous fucks?

I dunno, maybe the fact that they don't live on Earth, and yet people from Earth still tell them what to do?
>>
>Hey guys the Federation sucks how about we gas our fellow spacenoids and drop a few colonies on earth
>sounds great
Humans are meant to stay on earth
>>
>>15801055
it's the Britain-America trope. Where colonies go violently independent from their origin. Human nature is tribalist and secessionist. We always try to overcome and surpass the older generation. At least that's true for western civilisation.

The examples are almost endless, usually it starts as an independence movement but becomes bitter and ends up striking at the home world/ earth
>Mars/Bahram in ZoE
>Zeon in Gundam
>Helghast in Killzone
these are the ones I can think off the top of my head, but it's deeply rooted in human consciousness.
>>
>>15801110
>it's the Britain-America trope

What reality do you live in that the American Revolution included an invasion of the UK?
>>
>>15801110
The American revolution is a pretty bad shitshow for everyone involved, but at least we didn't throw Delaware at the Kong's doorstep.
>>
>>15801113
Where did I claim that happened? The US simply started the trend of colonies throwing off their masters yoke and surpassing it. The rest is a product of popular culture.
>>
>>15801120

OP said

>Something about sending people out into space makes them not only want to break away from Earth, it makes them want to come back to Earth and kill people.

By replying to the OP, I assumed you were replying to the OP
>>
>>15801126
Because all of these shows would be really fucking boring if the colonies went "we're independent now, fucking deal with it" and then everyone went on with their lives.
>>
>>15801131

So, it's NOT the Britain-American trope then, yeah?
>>
>>15801110
>Human nature is tribalist

The existence of a country like the US disproves that
>>
>>15801134
have you watched the news recently? Or ever touched a history book?
>>
>>15801134
A primarily white, Anglo Saxon nation that has only succeeded because it's rivals bankrupted themselves and has been in stagnancy since the 1970s?
>>
>>15801215
>and has been in stagnancy since the 1970s

What? The US is still the dominant global economic and military power
>>
I'd argue it stems more from unequal treatment than an innate sense of rebellion.
>>
>>15801055
Space is full of space snowflakes, whodathunk
>>
File: fucko.png (1MB, 887x899px) Image search: [Google]
fucko.png
1MB, 887x899px
>>15801055

Earth is shit because reasons. People on Earth are shit because reasons. Ergo anything related to Earth is shit and Mars is the best despite the fact that we'll die in short order if we step out of our habitats without proper protection.

Let's harangue Earth for concessions in increasingly violent acts of terrorism and then invade and destroy.

Also civilians get double mess hall points compared to military personnel, so hop to it if you want your Red Sand Sundae tonight.

I like shooting my own subordinates to intimidate dying people.

Gibber gibber Mars gibber gibber.

Mars aeturnum.
>>
>>15801133
Americans cannot into non US-centric world views, friend, especially when talking about history
>>
>>15801305

Really disappointed in Infinite Warfare. The Zero-G missions were great, the ship-boarding missions were great, and the setting was pretty nice.

Space-Fighter Missions were DOG SHIT
Requring the Space-Fighter launch sequence before EVERY mission made me drop the game half-way through
The plot was too hamfisted and reminded me of a late-80's, early-90's action flic
>>
>>15801055
It's all that lack of gravity. Apparently gravity seems necessary to keep humans grounded and civilised. Those unbound by gravity are doomed to devolve into groups of raging, muderous fanatics.
>>
>>15801305
Why is it always the bitter assholes who end up being in charge on Mars?
>>
>>15801099

As opposed to people in Washington telling people in Hawaii what to do? Or people in Phoenix telling people in Tucson what to do? Or people in the town hall telling people in the townland what to do? Or someone in a kitchen telling someone in the sitting room what to do?
>>
>>15801354
Are you seriously equating those with the distance between Earth and the Lagrangian points?

That's a bigger distance than the ones between countries on Earth; yet we obviously lack a united world government.
>>
>Zeon gassing colonies

You would have a point if the Federation didn't happily engage in that whenever the colonies got uppity. Colony 30, anybody?
>>
>>15801103
If you actually believe humans should stay on earth in the UC universe you pretty much missed almost all the themes.
>>
>>15801394
>Colony 30

Was an act that caused almost half the EFSF to rebel and form the AEUG to put an end to the Titans. I didn't see any Zeeks turning against Gihren Zabi after Zeon gassed Iffish and murdered 3 whole Sides. Instead they just went 'it can't be helped' continued to Sieg Zeon then dropped more colonies in his name after the war was over.
>>
>>15801398
> you pretty much missed almost all the themes.

I'm pretty sure he saw the consistent theme of Spacenoid nations being made up of crazy people and lead by genocidal psychopaths. Or how really Late UC works like Turn A and G Reco concern people returning to the Earth.
>>
>>15801313
>reminded me of a late-80's, early-90's action flic
Is that supposed to be a bad thing?
>>15801728
Back to your containment board.
>>
>>15801742
>Discussing space politics which are based on real world politics
>Faggot get triggered when you use a real life example which mirrors the animated problem exactly

Good ol' retards. Can't discuss a topic inside a thread about that topic because they will get upset by you discussing it.

Maybe you should go watch Gurren Laggan and stay away from topics about space politics and human nature. You're clearly not set up to handle it.
>>
>>15801055
Zanscare was so much worse than Zeon. Then again I should have expected that shit from a matriarchy
>>
>>15801103
Did Neo Zeon gas any colonies? I thought that was a Titan thing.
>>
>>15802063
Zabi Zeon gassed Side 2 before dropping it, according to 08th MS Team
>>
>>15802078

Cima was also involved in a gassing, which is sometimes held as the same one.
>>
>>15801055
>Something about sending people out into space makes them not only want to break away from Earth
Actually happens to real astronauts too, once they're up there and have a breathtaking view of the Earth being a blue ball in a sea of blackness they generally have a bit of an epiphany.

Y'know like why the hell is there so much war and suffering when literally all we have is this one world.
>>
>>15802416

The "overview effect" has nothing to do with wanting to break away from Earth, and is as you said is more about astronauts generally realizing that there's only one Earth and all the borders and otherness people erect and fight about are really artificial and pretty pointless. Which is an understandable effect of spending months on end watching the entire planet rotate below you once every 90 minutes or whatever it is.
>>
>>15802480
So you could say it's... understanding
>>
>>15801120

Like most things you can find examples of that in antiquity if you look. The first Persian Empire for instance, the Achaemenid Empire was formed by people who revolted against, then conquered and ended up far more successful than the Median Empire.

>>15801385

Yes, because distance only has meaning within context as an extension of time; specifically how long it takes to get between two points. And it only takes a few days to get between any given Side or Colony and Earth in Gundam, an exercise that can be undertaken by the common man easily and inexpensively from what we see. It might take longer than the couple of hours it takes to get anywhere within a nation by plane currently, but it is not any different than how it used to take days (or even weeks) to reach many parts of bigger nations until the invention of the car and/or plane, when the fastest transport available was a horse.

>>15801394

The Federation didn't do it "whenever" a colony got uppity. If they did Zeon, Riah, Cosmo Babylonia and Zanscare wouldn't have existed. They did do it at times, but there's more times they could have and didn't than there are times they did.

>>15801728

So long as the people ruling can do so as a profession then it doesn't matter how small you make your government or societies because those doing the ruling will be separate from and above them. You could have every city block an independent government and if the guy ruling it was doing so as a profession he'd stand apart from and be perceived as elitist compared to everyone else there.
>>
>>15801055
Deikun Zum Zeon's philosophy is basically crab mentality. We suffered in space so should the rest of humanity. it is idiotic when you think about it.

At least by Unicorn continuity their forebears left Earth voluntarily as climate change is displacing populations. It wasn't supposed to be permanent. Yet they see those on Earth are perceived to be more privileged despite colonies having a higher standard of living. The colonies still needed Earth as it is the only permanent biosphere in the solar system. When Side 3 declared independence they got cut off benefits of trae with the rest of the Federation particularly Earth. Then they started the Colonial Guard as a space military forcing the Federation to create its own space forces against aggression.
>>
Perhaps humans can not fully mentally adjust to living outside their homeworld.

They might want to toughen up then, because if humanity doesn't eventually destroy itself, then it's going to have to migrate to space before the Sun becomes a red giant.
>>
>>15801099

In RayStorm it's mentioned that the secret battleship Hannibal was designed to blow up planets before the Secilian Alliance captured it (Thankfully the planet buster was incomplete when they did so).

So it's pretty obvious that in some situations the Earthlings are just bastards on par with the Empire in Star Wars.
>>
>>15801055
>that makes people rebellious
The only reason you obey rules is because you for for someone to enforce them. If youre sitting on a different planet then no one can enforce anything since it takes the enforcer years to reach you. Gives you time to flee, hide or turn the situation around. I mean, its the same reason why the Wild West was a thing. No one around to enforce shit so you can just do whatever the hell you want.
>>
>>15801055
because when you live in the bumfuckistan quadrant and the earth keeps telling you what to do when they have no idea whats its like to live in space
Its like the colonies and the british empire
>>
>>15804578

Its for your own good
>>
>>15802923
>The Extra Mode ending shows the player ship(s) enveloped in the tunnel explosion, then a view of the "Juda Satellite colony" exploding, and a view of a heavily damaged R-Gray using its remaining engines to drift from the Moon towards a large debris cloud; the crawl shown as Juda explodes explains that the colony is pushed from its orbit toward the nearby gas giant Seraphim by the explosion, at least "70% of the seven billion inhabitants" of the colony die from the explosion, the "Secilian empire" is no longer a danger, and the mission is complete.

Lmao
>>
File: nuke.jpg (127KB, 1477x1177px) Image search: [Google]
nuke.jpg
127KB, 1477x1177px
>>15801055
The breakdown of Mutually Assured Destruction doctrine would almost certainly lead to all out war between superpowers becoming a common occurrence again.

I'd say an Elysium future where the ultra rich and their servants move to luxury space colonies is far more plausible then the Gundam one where all the poors are kicked off Earth to space slums.

Space colonies are expensive. That would mean the elites of society wouldn't have to give a shit about Earth conflicts, environmental devastation and social unrest.

I'm not sure how the "spacers = wild west frontiersman" scifi trope gets so far, as any spaceship worth a damn can be more devastating then a nuke, not the sort of thing any sane Earth government would let random idiot yokels use at their personal discretion
>>
>>15811772
The colonies aren't slums. At least not most of them.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.