[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I tried asking /toy/ this same question a while back and didn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8

File: 8511875634_3817c214c2_b.jpg (439KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
8511875634_3817c214c2_b.jpg
439KB, 768x1024px
I tried asking /toy/ this same question a while back and didn't really get a response to my satisfaction.

What is, objectively (as far as is possible) THE single best-engineered, best-designed, best-produced mecha toy in existence?
>>
File: 1500158794817.jpg (166KB, 550x820px) Image search: [Google]
1500158794817.jpg
166KB, 550x820px
Whichever one is your favorite.
>>
>>15800381
OP here, no fuck that.

I want to know which on an objective level is the best. Doesn't matter to me what series it's from or if I have any attachment to it.
>>
Takatoku Valkyries are good for being toys and not incredibly fragile replicas
>>
>>15800421
I feel like excessive fragility automatically precludes a toy from qualifying as well-engineered, there's no point owning a hand grenade.
>>
>>15800390
Dude, there's like a shitload of mecha toys, the best ones all being highly expensive, and no one on /toy/ is enough of a richfag to have all of the high end ones. No one really knows.

For what it's worth, the one I want the most is SoC Gunbuster, but even it puts me off some because it has fucking diecast in it
>>
>>15800591
>>15800375

is actually being able to play it a factor?

feels counter-intuitive if you have the best of everything and not being able to play with it (display only/ "muh mint in box!").
>>
>>15800596
Yes, I'd say that's another qualifier for design and engineering. If it looks beautiful but is the opposite of fun to fiddle around with, again, what was the point?
>>
File: X6gI6jz.jpg (92KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
X6gI6jz.jpg
92KB, 768x1024px
>>15800623
more of you actually want to play with it rather than just displaying it in a cabinet.

the type of fun you'd make goofy pics of.
>>
>>15800421

What scale is that cat
>>
>>15800375
That's kinda impossible to discuss. There will always be a problem to find, production value will either focus on looks or sturdiness and as a rule of thumb a good design will affect the functionality, and a good engineering will probably ruin the design. This happens mostly because mechanical designers usually don't know the engineering needed to make things practical (a huge exception being Katoki, but he usually alters so much the original designs or adds so much bullshit like panels and stuff that it decharacterizes the final product) and the transition from 2D to 3D will change the looks (or are simply impossible to do for stuff like Getters transforming). In the end this difficulty just reflects how impractical giant robots are IRL.

What comes close is probably the high-end Chogokin line. They have transforming mecha with great similarity to the animated counterparts and amazing engineering - but then again proportions suffer a lot for the mechanisms to work so the looks are a bit off.
>>
File: 10050867a.jpg (146KB, 998x674px) Image search: [Google]
10050867a.jpg
146KB, 998x674px
>>15800653
pic related
>>
>>15800653
Well that, and again, chogokins use diecast, which is a meme material used to pander to nostalgiafags who eat that shit up despite it being objectively worse than plastic in almost every way. It causes much more wear on joints, paint has a harder time sticking to it, it's very heavy, raising shipping costs both for the consumer and the company (the latter meaning you also pay more upfront) and so on

There are so many figures I'd like to have available in something other than diecast, but it's often the only available version out there
>>
>>15800670
how much of these are relegated to display cabinets only (not really for playing/too expensive to play)?
>>
>>15800677

It's subject anon. Ignore him
>>
>>15800686
no, legit question on my part.

partly an observation i came to realize between hasbro and takaratomy releases of transformers. TT has the "better paints apps/look" but hasbro ones are the stuff "they play with" because their mass market look doesn't give you much buyer's remorse when you play with them.
>>
>>15800677
I own a couple diecast figures, namely SoC Zambot 3, Sentinel Dancouga, and the SRC Mazinkaiser, Shin Getter and Shin Mazinger Z

Zambot 3 can be played with, although I did have the legs break off of Zambo Ace and had to superglue them back in. Fortunately, that didn't affect posability because the legs were on a ball joint with a stem going into the hips. The paint is pretty thick as well, no real chipping problems yet

Dancouga is absolutely a display piece. It has paint chipping all over in places I've never even touched, and I had a finger break off simply for removing it from a package after moving it on a hot day. Shame too, it's probably the best Dancouga in terms of features. I have Black Wing too, and it's a little better built

The SRCs are all mostly doing fine, except for Mazinkaiser. I got the chrome version and had the whole left arm fall in fucking half from the shoulder down. I was able to superglue it back together, but it doesn't look pretty.
>>
>>15800375
if you want to say Yamato/Arcadia, just say so. no need to waste ppl time, and disprove every "objective" opinions that get in your way.
>>
>>15800715
I'm asking out of curiosity, not because I have a pre-existing idea in mind. Yamato/Arcadia stuff never really impressed me anyway, besides those three Patlabor figures they did years ago
>>
File: goblin valk 2k14 and a half.jpg (195KB, 1268x780px) Image search: [Google]
goblin valk 2k14 and a half.jpg
195KB, 1268x780px
>>15800652
SDs aren't to scale
>>
>>15800698
With Transformers you probably don't have to worry because they're built to be durable either way. Modern ones, that is. We all know about GPS and such

Unless you're regularly banging your Transformer against a wall, you probably won't have to worry much about it breaking apart or chipping in paint, even when you use a Takara one

But most expensive shit you'll probably want to treat with kid gloves even if it's the most durable thing in the world, solely because it costs a lot.
>>
File: valk game.jpg (396KB, 2244x1590px) Image search: [Google]
valk game.jpg
396KB, 2244x1590px
the more I think about it the Takatoku Valks really are great
they pull off the show's basic gimmick without doing much to change the design
it's a solid toy and easy to fix if it breaks, the shoulder on my Joons Korea bootleg is a Jetfire shoulder I got from a TF parts dealer at a con

back in the day when this was your only option for a transforming non-SD valk I knew a guy who would get Transformer parts lots and ended up with a few Jetfires and most of a Strike Valk for under $200

I remember Bandai reprinted them around 2000ish? I wonder how much they're in circulation these days.
>>
>>15800739
About ¥15,000 new on the Japanese aftermarket.
>>
File: 1423832392_chromias.jpg (220KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1423832392_chromias.jpg
220KB, 600x450px
>>15800733
oh no, i meant even if they're the same toy, the hasbro one would be the one to played with while the takaratomy one would be the display (assuming one would buy both versions) due to the tt one being the more prettier/accurate one.
>>
>>15801268
meh, not too bad compared to fifteen years later on the originals going for $300 back in the day
>>
>>15800653
>>15800375
The best engineered prize goes to Studio Halfeye Perfect Transformation Getter Robo IMO.
>>
What's that one huge Yamato Ingram toy? The one with a fist sized Noa figure and the unfolding cockpit and actual cloth on the joints? I think that one's pretty high tier.
>>
>>15800375
Depends on what you want out of a toy. There is no "objective" best.
>>
>>15801990
Yes I know, to which I replied that you wouldn't need to put either on display. Neither are that fragile that you'd have to worry about ruining them through normal play.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.