[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Legitimate reasons for having giant robots in a setting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 16696202_p0.jpg (824KB, 1200x1080px) Image search: [Google]
16696202_p0.jpg
824KB, 1200x1080px
We've gone plenty of times over why giant robots don't generally make sense. But why not work backwards instead? I've thought up some ideas and I'm wondering if anyone else has done so.

I've posted almost all of these examples before, but here goes...

>Aliens want humans to be their slaves
>Humans tend to get old and die a lot though
>So they turn humans into machines
>Since human minds aren't terribly into controlling simple vehicles like tanks, the machines have to be humanoid
>Since they also want their human slaves to do things on multiple scales, they make size differentiations
>This means some are significantly larger than a human
>It also means some are also significantly smaller, even being the size of Busou Shinki action figures or something

Example two:

>Humans figure out how to turn themselves into machines
>Since translating to something not humanoid sucks, most of these machines are humanoid
>Unfortunately nobody can miniaturize some hardware
>So they just build bigger things around it
>Thus we have giant humanoid robots

Example three:

>People like having robots fight each other, at first it's like sumo robots, then it becomes like Battlebots/Robot Wars, etc.
>Eventually they go off the deep end and start making crazy humanoid robots and such armed with machine guns and missiles
>So why are they giant humanoid robots?
>Because it's badass, of course!
>It's literally stated that they have no hope in real-life combat, but in the arena that doesn't matter

Pic related, the whole thing with Kojima Generators and having instant responses while preventing G-LOC is a good excuse. Still doesn't explain Normals, MTs, and some Arms Forts though, nor does it explain legs other than Bipedals and Reverse-Joints.
>>
>>15796608
>We've gone plenty of times over why giant robots don't generally make sense. But why not work backwards instead?

Because ultimately trying too hard with explanations just tends to pigeonhole settings and limit creative freedom.
Like whatever was the name of that X-punk about us never getting further than primitive rockets when exploring space. That's not sci-fi, that's a depressive horror story.

Anyway, Gundam already covers the basics well enough.
If you make the robot a space battle platform, it suddenly makes more sense than a space fighter or anything of that nature. Of course, space-only.

Fantasy settings are pretty easy as well and there's still a distinctive lack of fantasy robots out there.
>>
>>15796608
they messed up White Glint eyes in the game cg model and this fanart, all the eyes sensors doesn't light up at the same time.

back to you're topic, yep, I with you bro.
>>
How about this:
>aliens invade
>ayys are huge and impervious to conventional weaponry
>melee fighting robots become natural counter

After writing it down it sounds much like Pacific Rim's premise.

Alternatively:
>future
>technology high
>manpower low
>you're gonna need to make each soldier be as efficient as entire tank crew
>robots allow flexibility and ironic simplicity just for that

And finally:
>dogmatic religious reasons
>>
>>15796608
I believe there was a animator expo short that went like this
>humans are dying out
>humans make robots that think and look like us as a way to "live on"
>humans ensure that their power source or whatever only works with humanoid machines, to preserve their image
>millenia later
>the human-bots believe that they are the humans
>they discover that when they make humanoid mechs, they're able to tap into a new power source
>said source is actually what powers and animates the "people" and only works with humanoid machines
>therefore the best warmachines are shaped roughly like people
>>
>>15796608
I like the Macross handwave, personally. Your enemies are 33ft tall, it's necessary so you can punch them in the face.
>>
>>15796608
The legitimate reason is because it looks cool
Any explanation more than that is a waste of time
>>
>>15796608
>fantasy realm
>magic energy flows better on humanoid forms
>giants and other things are attacking humans
>we make giant armors to fight them
>call them gallant gears because it sounds nice
>>
>>15796618
>If you make the robot a space battle platform, it suddenly makes more sense than a space fighter or anything of that nature. Of course, space-only.
Gundam's excuse was minovsky particles both enabling miniature powerful space-usable power plants and magically preventing any kind of bvr or long range combat from being effective.
Gundam makes giant humanoid mechs because they are cool and easy to self insert as, not because they are good at space combat which they aren't.
>>
>>15796608
There isn't really.

You start by this basic premise: I want to have giant robots in this setting because I like them/they look cool/etc.

Then you work backwards from that.

Like for example, a fantasy setting where to battle giants, people craft golems that have to be humanoid and piloted by a warrior or a mage with enough spirit/etc to control it.
>>
File: 015_.jpg (2MB, 1653x2273px) Image search: [Google]
015_.jpg
2MB, 1653x2273px
Straight from Armored Core 3 Silent Line Soundtrackbook quite a mouthful
Sounds plausible enough for me.
>>
>>15796608
I actually like the Heavy Gear approach to that.
They evolutioned from working mechs, and were adapted to the conditions of terranova. They don't substitue tanks, infantry, planes etc but are a nice adition in any army because they are versatile, quite rugged and well armed, if not very tough weapons for difficult terrain. Vs a mbt in the open they will lose, but in Urban or difficult terrain they have an edge.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.