[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this really as good as everyone says?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 197
Thread images: 34

File: 1376737522239.jpg (1MB, 1404x1404px) Image search: [Google]
1376737522239.jpg
1MB, 1404x1404px
Is this really as good as everyone says?
>>
File: Cowboy-Bebop.jpg (151KB, 1600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Cowboy-Bebop.jpg
151KB, 1600x600px
No, its for pleb casualfags who refuse to look at good actual gems like trigun or cowboy bebop.
>>
File: smug chinky yang.jpg (129KB, 250x600px) Image search: [Google]
smug chinky yang.jpg
129KB, 250x600px
>>15795474
>cowboy bebop
>not death note-tier casual
>>
>>15795471
Depends on, it's not really for everyone. Personally I watched it last year and loved it, mostly for the characters and general vibe of the show, I'm a sucker for space opera's though.
>>
>>15795533
Don't be comparing probably THE BEST DAMN ANIME to that emo teeny=bopper fag shit mate. Thems fighting words
>>
Are any of the LOGH games translated?
>>
>>15795471
It really is, although you really have to give it full attention 100% of the time, which can be pretty daunting. But it's completely worth it, and there are no other shows quite like it.
>>
It's an interesting watch if you like seeing the parallels to real world events and people. The real villains in the series are obvious and do really stupid shit to be foils for all the primary characters. They all do really stupid shit that's on par with some super robot villains.
>>
>>15795471
Not as good as everyone says no. It takes itself TOO seriously at times but if you're a history nut then you'll love the fuck out of it. All /m/ things in there exist just for the fantasy setting not for looks and they're more or less an eyesore.
>>
>>15795543
>tfw can't tell if serious or not

>>15795576
lol
>>
The middle two seasons are
The first and last, not so much
The Gaiden OVAs definitely not
>>
>>15795665
How is it taking itself too seriously even a valid criticism of a show that deals with politics and the consequences of war? Its a space opera.
>>
File: you have shit taste kircheis.jpg (64KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
you have shit taste kircheis.jpg
64KB, 500x375px
>>15795668
>underrating the only series with kircheis
>>
>>15795471
No, it's a 5/10 at best
>>
File: kessler.gif (496KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
kessler.gif
496KB, 500x350px
best boy
>>
>>15795760
Kircheis isn't a character, he's a plot point for Reinhard
>>
>>15795873
>char's va wasted on a non-character
>>
>>15795543
>emo teeny=bopper fag shit
More like teeny-bebopper amirite :^)
>>
>>15795471
It's even better.
>>
>>15795471
no amount of elitism is gonna save this show from its terrible writing.
>>
File: tumblr_nhpjn3IJ841s9j1y9o3_1280.jpg (103KB, 700x753px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nhpjn3IJ841s9j1y9o3_1280.jpg
103KB, 700x753px
>>15795471
Is the closest that we will ever get in anime of a mixture of The Longest Day and BBC historical TV dramas. So, to me, it was pretty good.
>>
>>15795471
It is unique and exhilarating. And because of the current entertainment culture we will never get anything like it in the next 20 years.
If you enjoy Game of Thrones this show is beyond you.
>>
what I want to know is what do people who hate LOGH actually like?
>>
>>15795471
no it's bad

don't waste your time on it
>>
>>15795471
No it isnt because people are unable to acknowledge its flaws. It is a great series, and one of my personal favourites, but it still has issues that go beyond parts of the writing. The problem is that most people are such ridiuclous fanboys that theyll never acknowledge them and still rate it 10/10 because they call them irrelevant.
>>
>>15796079
Lotgh is my favorite anime of all time but it does have problems. Like the earth cultists or how forced some plotpoints are later in the series.
>>
>>15795474
>>15795543
Fuck outta here with your entry level normalfag anime.
>>
>>15795927
Anon, I'm going to do SOMETHING WICKED
>>
Can someone post that image guide for this series?
>>
>>15795471
Its good but its not for everyone. If you don't get a massive boner for Space Opera, classical music and Space Politics 101 you'll probably not enjoy it. If you do you're in for a fun ride.
>>
File: logh watch order.jpg (412KB, 898x2895px) Image search: [Google]
logh watch order.jpg
412KB, 898x2895px
>>15796422
>>
File: Hyperion.jpg (223KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Hyperion.jpg
223KB, 1680x1050px
It is, it'll take around 10 episodes to get into it though.
Look past the dated animation, you're here for the story, not the animation.
>>
>>15796014
Death note, Code geass, Elfen Lied. Attack on titan
You know, the babbys first/Entry level animays which is "the best thing ever"
>>
>>15796382
It's OK anon, he's miles better than the guy Amuro's VA voiced
>>
>>15796437
LotGH is a really dry show. Not liking it doesnt mean that all you like are entry level trash shows, Anon. In fact, I would be willing to bet my left testicle that most people simply cant be bothered to give it a try because its 110episodes, which is a completely legitimate reason. Its too long for its own sake, has bad animation and mediocre art while also being quite dragging at times. Its a show that has a very niche crowd. Maybe not as niche as lets say Hyouge Mono, but still niche. I mean go check MAL, twice as many people have the show on PLAN TO WATCH than people who have actually completed it.
>>
>>15795471
After watching it an episode a night for two semesters straight, I would say yes. Though my tastes where influenced by years of having nothing but PBS to watch, so I understand if it can come off a bit dull at times.
>MG LOGH model kit line when?
>>
>>
>>15796514
Was bound to happen. Do we have a virgin feddie vs. chad zeon meme already?
>>
File: 1487220851446.jpg (311KB, 1600x1044px) Image search: [Google]
1487220851446.jpg
311KB, 1600x1044px
>>15795471
If the story is something you can enjoy, then yes.
Some ppl think it is universally excellent and everyone can appreciate it as one of the very best there is.
I think tastes run too different for that to be a realistic assumption.

This is a War / History - Epic.
It is not science-fiction!
At least not like "sci-fi literature" is sci-fi. For example: there is no idea or concept based on plausible technology that gets explored in depth. It is simply "space adventure" (or "space opera"). And the "space" part is just clothes. It would have worked just as well in Napoleon's times.

It is not an action series.
There are quite a lot of battles but they are mostly presented in a "matter of fact" like fashion. Some of the scenes are animated very nicely, but don't expect lots of sakuga scenes for your action folder.

It is basically historical (fan)fiction.
The story evolves in a narrative structure that makes the events seem (somewhat) possible and believable. Like a (hi)story that could have happened in some other universe.

Personally I like it for the dialogue, the story and the overall structure. All the pieces fit together rather well. But seriously, If anything remotely history related makes you wanna run for the hills, maybe give it a pass.
>>
>>15796454
There is a difference between people who hate the show and who haven't watched it.
>>
>>15796655
The thing is that I get the feeling that the two arent mutually exclusive. Its a bit like Evangelion. The shows fanbase is generally hated by a lot of people and that very often translates to people hating the shows (or makes it appear like they do). Its unreasonable hate that completely dismisses any form of logic and very often shows that the butthurt individuals havent even watched the show/EoE. In my personal experience LotGHs fanbase is even worse than Evangelions, at least on the outside. The absolute vast majority of it hails this show as the greatest work of fiction ever created, at least thats what the threads on /a/ and various other anime related plattforms like MAL/reddit etc would have you believe. They cannot accept that it has faults in its writing, in regards to animation or art direction or the fact that the sound direction is average at best due to exclusively recycling pieces of classical music with a lot of really questionable cuts. I wouldnt be surprised if this delusional behavior has the same effect on people as it does with Evangelion. People who havent seen the show just hate it for its respective fanbase. Which I personally wouldnt even be mad about. LotGH is one of my favourite shows but I hate its fanbase with a pashion.
>>
File: 1313581263821.png (235KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1313581263821.png
235KB, 1200x900px
As long as you don't think too much about the actual battles, yeah.
>>
>>15796431
Thanks mate.
>>
>>15796431
Someone needs to update this to mention that the LNs are in the process of being translated
>>
>>15796691
Whoever thought that replicating real world battles in space was a smart idea should not be allowed to write any more battledirection. Especially since Julian and Yang play 3 dimensional chess in one of the earlier episodes but for some reason can only move battleships in a 2 dimensional setting. Always felt incredibly inconsistnet.
>>
>>15796454
Dry only explains so much. Gasaraki is my favorite show, it's /m/'s equivalent of watching paint dry, and I find myself indifferent to LoGH honestly.

Like, I'm gradually reading the books (the fact that Earth Cult shenanigans are in there as early as volume 1 really makes me wonder how much the OVA blew it such that people often deride them as a faction) but even then it feels more like just an idling activity to pass the time than something I'm engrossed in, and the same held true of when I gave the first quarter or so of the OVA a shot.

I posit the kicker is actually that it's more a history buff circlejerk kind of story.
>>
>>15795879
I cried his nane every time they said that things would be different withhis help. Please don't disrispect my husbando's lover boy.
>>
>>15796879
Which occurred three times in one episode by the way. Don't remember the exact number but it was around the beginning of season 2.
>>
>>15797126
He was really needed that morning, you ass!
>>
>>15795471
Fuck no. People only praise it because they think an anime that's nothing but people standing around talking about politics and philosophy at the most barebones level is mature shit. Fuck them they're the fags who try to claim they never liked DBZ as a kid when we all know they fucking did just like everyone else.
>>
File: tfw no kircheis 1.png (1MB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
tfw no kircheis 1.png
1MB, 1200x900px
>>15797156
Kircheis was such a good character, even alliance scum missed him.
>>
>>15795873
Kesler is a close second or maybe third but Muller was best.

>>15796438
Wait Amuro's VA was in it?

>>15796551
I saw a Virgin Char vs. Chad Johnny Ridden but not an EFF vs zeon.
>>
>>15797232
Tohru Furuya voiced Andrew Fork, Yang's loser rival.
>>
>>15797219
When my coffee gets cold I regret that it wouldn't had happened if he was there.

(He was a condecorated officer used as propaganda, it's not that rare that oppossing forces are aware of the top brass of their enemy. For what I remember of that scene it was like "if the emperor has his right hand man to give him a different point of view our feint would had failed", but I might be wrong.)
>>
>>15797234
Shit I never noticed that was him huh, neat.
>>
File: tumblr_nijr4vwwPN1squ25to1_500.png (366KB, 500x716px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nijr4vwwPN1squ25to1_500.png
366KB, 500x716px
The best way I can describe LoGH is that it feels like I've hit the summit of a mountain and I genuinely this is the best anime could ever get.

In all seriousness, it's an extremely slow space opera with extremely in depth characters. Don't come for the battles. It's not about that.

Crossing fingers that they don't fuck up the remake/reboot
>>
>>15797568
He's an old dog so let him climb the bed.
>>
>>15797234
Man oh man, thanks for letting me know this. It's the little details like this (the intersection of so many VAs that I love) that makes LOGH so much fun for me.

What are you hoping to see in the reboot, Anon? What do you think it'll cover?

Besides modernized fleet battles, I'd like to see about a 50 episode series, with some of the side conflicts cut (the assassination attempt on Reinhard, the bombing in the first season, etc), so the show has a chance of selling reasonably well and keeping some life in the scifi and space opera space. I think if Production IG does a full reboot, it'll end up being a loss for them.

If we're lucky, we'll get 26 episodes. Most likely, just the first 12 episodes in one cour.
>>
>>15795471
Is it good? Yeh if you have some patience it's pretty good if you like war themed anime in space.
>>
>>15797607
Hmm...honestly, for the reboot I'd hope they try to make it a little different from the original OVAs, either in terms of story progression or order of events, rather than just a new look. If they try to hew too closely to the original series I think it might come off as just a pale imitation, as it's unlikely any remake could capture the magic of the original without as much time and effort as was put into it. For what will likely be a smaller series, maybe starting off with the protagonist's early days and then moving straight on into their admiralties, or focusing on just some of the big battles (like Iserlohn, and then straight on to Iserlohn vs. Geiersburg) rather than everything the old series had might be better for a smaller run of episodes.
>>
Ok so Reinhard, Kircheis and Yang were all the same tier of admiral, with Mittermeyer and Reuental edging very closely below them. Where do Bewcock and Merkatz fare in terms of tiers ot them? Attenborough?
>>
>>15797607
The first three episodes are super solid storytelling. You understand the context of both sides, Reinhard does a simple but effective move that could happen in real world and you get ready to see characters dying.

I'd only cut some of the royal heir crap, it didn't have to be like 10 episodes. I do like that it's a war of atrition but the three fights are identical. The interior of the Empire ships could be easily improved, it looked like a bad one off original star trek set.

I'm afraid they'll use really bad CG for the battles. Like, they were always slow but it made up with the ship designs for me. If they replace them with copy pasted out of style cheap CG that would totally kill it.
>>
>>15797625
Isn't that going closer to the movies no one likes? More backstory is just pointless when it ends up depending on the original to be good and the original didn't need it.

They could go closer to the novels, even more now that they are getting an official release.
>>
File: 1361687561851.jpg (41KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1361687561851.jpg
41KB, 640x480px
>>
File: hmmmmm.jpg (64KB, 640x957px) Image search: [Google]
hmmmmm.jpg
64KB, 640x957px
>>15796686
LoGH is one of my favorite shows and yet I agree with you on almost everything, EXCEPT that the classical music during battles was the hypest shit. If you can't get down with space battles while Beethoven blares I can't get down with you.
>>
>>15797648
Yeah, I was thinking of having the order of events and background info being closer to the novels--the OVA did take some liberties, so it might be interesting to see an anime that was much closer to the writing, especially since as you said the novels have been officially released.
>>
>>15796686
i can relate to this entirely. ive watched an extremely small amount of LoGH and i enjoyed it for what its worth, but the fans i knew were so fucking annoying i wanted to drop it. they were exactly as you described, always touting themselves as patricians for liking it and calling it "da best anime evar".

the irony is that eva is still one of my favourite shows, but i guess thats because i watched it when i was first getting into anime and managed to avoid all discussion about it.
>>
>>15797674
>If you can't get down with space battles while Beethoven blares I can't get down with you.
I think you misuderstood me. My problem is not the classical music per se, but the fact that all they did was recycle classical compositions that already existed instead of creating their own. The questionable cuts that I am talking about usually happen at the end of important scenes. There is hardly ever any form of transition and instead the music simply goes from max to min volume within a single second of screentime. Makes it feel like theres going to be a commercial but since its an OVA we know that there never was so it feels rather misplaced.
>>
>>15796686
7 years back I started and participated in all those flame wars was to bring attention to the anime but those who unironically did and still do such things are definitely a bloat on fanbase. I liked it for entirely autistic reason (I used to be history buff back then and always loved watching war documentries on history channel) and I am satisfied with that
>>
>>15797607
Wanna know some more?
>Yangs VA was Tochiro Oyama from Harlock SSX movie and series
>Poplans VA was Shin from hokuto no ken
>Bagdashus VA was Kenshiro from hokuto no ken
>Sitholes VA was Raoh from hokuto no ken
>Obersteins VA was Rei from hokuto no ken
>Fredericas VA later on voiced Integra in Hellsing
>>
>>15798309
Logh has hundreds of known VA
>>
It's way too long
>>
File: Galactic Fist of the North Star.png (2MB, 600x2165px) Image search: [Google]
Galactic Fist of the North Star.png
2MB, 600x2165px
>>15798309
>>
It's basically "I, Claudius" but in space and with a third-person narrator.
>>
OP here, I didn't actually realize how much this thread looked like low-tier bait when I made it. How faithful is the show to the novels?

>>15796431
It's so cute how it says /rs/
>>
>>15797631
Dusty had a great knack for scheming and leadership, but being an admiral wasn't a strength. He is a great leader and idea man, but he isn't quick enough on the battlefield to be on the same footing as Yang or Reinhard. He works best with someone guiding him.

Merkatz is debatably on par with the twin stars if not better. He had cunning, short term and long term planning, quick on his feet, and a bold personality. A big strength was how his men rallied to him, which is why his forces were loyal to him and not the Empire.

Beaucock was somewhere between Merkatz and Yang/Reinhard, but that was in his prime. In his old age and due to lack of resources he slipped in ability and was probably at a skill level below the twin stars. He had trouble thinking up strategies as time went on, he could understand the game plan and what was going on but execution was lacking.

Kircheis was good but he was below the twin stars and his genius was conflated after his death. He was a good military officer, strategist, and an excellent soldier, but he put ideals before victory. Kircheis was too blinded by morals and ethics to make sacrifices, his inability to accept the inaction at Westerland that won them the size for power shows how he cannot make tough calls for victory.
>>
>>15798495
The show removed pretty much all the stupid bullshit of the novels, improved pacing and characterizations, and fixed story elements that were awkwardly placed or poorly handled.
>>
>>15798644
>t. Secondary
>>
File: 1503180826874.jpg (51KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
1503180826874.jpg
51KB, 620x413px
>>15797707

The classic I'll ignore good fiction because I don't like the fanbase.

That said, I fucking hate 40k cause it's genuinely incredibly childish and the fanbase doesn't help that.
>>
>>15798118
I can't argue about the unfortunate cuts, but in terms of "recycling", any music they came up with would've been a pale, generic imitation. Especially considering the 19th-c. Space German pastiche, of course they'd have classical and romantic era music playing while they battled, it feels like kind of a wink to the audience.
>>
Why did that Headmaster have such a long name?
>>
>>15797607
It has a lot of VAs in common with Gundam
>Poplan is Kai
>Oberstein is M'Quve and Mirai's cucked fiance
>Mittermeyer is Garma
>Annerose is Lalah and Icelina
>Kempf is Sleggar
>Kesselring is Bright
>De Villiers is Gihren and Cozun
>Rubinsky is Delaz
>Dusty is Jerid
>>
>>15797599
That was such a role-reversal on the part of Oberstein. Up to that scene, he'd been portrayed as a Machiavellian who, if given the chance, would be willing to go against both Reinhard's moral and political beliefs if it meant preserving the Empire as a whole. Which made that scene all the more impactful, since the only other shred of humanity that Oberstein had shown up to that point was expressing his discontent with the Goldenbaum dynasty's policy of eradicating the "genetically inferior". It honestly made me feel pretty bad upon realizing that Oberstein was the necessary evil within Reinhard's personal group, shoring up any and all of the criticisms that Reinhard would have otherwise drawn had Oberstein not set himself up as all of the negative aspects of Reinhard's career manifested into a single person.

Or, maybe I'm just overanalyzing an already complex anime.
>>
>>15799930
Nah, you're right. I think they also talked about Oberstein as a necessary evil in the series. Machiavelli himself makes a point about having a ruthless second-in-command to divert criticism from yourself. They also talked of Boltik the same way as governor of Phezzan and of Trunicht after the Alliance is conquered, if I recall correctly.
>>
>>15795471
No, it's better.
>>
>>15799930
No, that's pretty much it.
>>
File: OTP.webm (632KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
OTP.webm
632KB, 960x720px
>>15795873
Indeed.

>ywn have a wife like Marika
Feels really, really bad, man.

>>15795927
Him being more-or-less a wallflower for most of the series was 1000% worth it just because of episode 106.
>>
>>15795471
It's the Getter Robo Saga of anime. Make of that what you will.
>>
>>15795471
Not exactly. But it's about as good as anime gets.

I absolutely loved LOGH, but would hesitate recommending it to anyone other than committed enthusiasts of this sort of stuff.
>>
It was way better than anything I could've expected
>>
>>15795566
hehe

no, what kind of question is this?
>>
>>15796686
>in regards to animation or art direction or the fact that the sound direction is average at best
What?

Really, what?
>>
It is great and has flaws but as far as anime goes I doubt we will ever see anything reach the level of awesomeness that LOGH reached.

>no company or companies will want to animate so much material over such a long length of time.
>the average viewer these days would pick apart all the reused animation and other issues if it were done today.

Still, I wouldn't mind seeing what HBO would do with it in live action say with Game of Thrones level budget x2.
>>
>>15800911
>Still, I wouldn't mind seeing what HBO would do with it in live action say with Game of Thrones level budget x2.

I would. It would be fucking horrible.
>Reinhard and Kircheis are gay for each other because Alexander the Great was totally a homo amirite
>Empire is now literal Nazis and the FPA are the unequivocal "good guys"
>T&A everywhere and even more gore
>No more cute housewives/maids/etc. because that's sexist
>Women in the Imperial military
>The entire aesthetic of the show "modernized"
>Majority of budget and screen time dumped into fleet battles
>Script cut to the bone to accommodate the aforementioned point
>Poorly-cast wooden actors
>>
>>15800958
Also Yang is a stronk independent womyn that takes no shit from ebil nadzees. Reuenthal becomes the big bad for being a misogynistic chauvinistic macho pig and kills Reinhard to be able to satisfy his oppressive desires. The invasion of the Empire is portrayed as a good thing, but still fails because of the scorched-earth strategy, which is used to make the Empire look cartoonishly evil.
>>
>>15797674
The first LOGH movie has that scene that goes for like 10 mins and Bolero plays in the background.... slowly building and building.... it's just fucking perfect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r30D3SW4OVw
>>
>>15796791
I never looked at LoGH as a battle show and more as a lore/history show, like Three Kingdoms or Sengoku drama. You are not reading it for the individual battles, but the full scale totality of war.
That's no excuse for shitting battles, but I hope that makes it easier to swallow
>>
File: 1503415193392.jpg (103KB, 687x451px) Image search: [Google]
1503415193392.jpg
103KB, 687x451px
>>
>>15798309
Poplan is also Kai Shiden and Asuma Shinohara.
>>
File: Kircheis Roomba.jpg (129KB, 950x489px) Image search: [Google]
Kircheis Roomba.jpg
129KB, 950x489px
>>15801732
Doesn't top the Kircheis Roomba. Nothing can top the Kircheis Roomba.
>>
>>15799907
>>Mittermeyer is Garma
>>Annerose is Icelina
Kircheis status: cucked
>>
>>15802473
>tfw Char wants too much to endorse your red vacuum robot
>>
>>15802489
That ain't nothing
>>
>>15800958
>Empire is now literal Nazis and the FPA are the unequivocal "good guys"
Well, the Goldenbaum dynasty is basically the result of "what if Space Hitler succeeded", and so FPA are the good guys
>>
>>15796431
Thank you. Was just looking for a post looking for a way to get into LotGH and coincidentally someone makes a thread about it on /m/ with the exact image I was looking for.
>>
>>15796431
Thanks. do you also mind posting one for space battleship yamato?
>>
>>15803628
Just watch 2199
>>
>>15803612
No nation in the series per se are the good guys, there are good and bad guys in both nations. Reinhard and Yang are both good guys, Truniht and Lichtenlade are both bad. But in an HBO remake Reinhard would have been portrayed as an ebil nadzee hungry for power and oppression, and Truniht would be the lesser evil in the fight against fascism or something, much more like a feddie vs. zeek situation. Imagine this scene modified to depict Reinhard as literally Hitler:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP6CUqwvAqo
>>
>>15803662
>Truniht and Lichtenlade are both bad
And not even in a pure evil sort of way, just corrupt and looking out for their own interests.
Polite sage for double post
>>
>>15803612
The Goldenbaum Dynasty is exactly that, a dynasty. It isnt the 3rd Reich or a Nazi rules Germany, its Germany before Weimar, the German Empire and probably even some other combination of German principalities. The Empire afterwards is basically that, The German Empire (or to some extend Prussia).
>>
>>15802473
Where can I buy this?
>>
>>15803612
Not even close. Reinhard is way closer to Hitler than Rudolf ever was, apart from the racialism.
>>
>>15795569
>although you really have to give it full attention 100% of the time
What do you mean? Is the plot really hard to follow or something?
>>
>>15804075
Not really, it's just easy to fall asleep on the wheel.
>>
>>15803745
Hitler and his goons' key defining characteristic that they will eternally be remembered by WAS their racialism.
>>
>>15803675
No, the Goldenbaum Dynasty at the time of Rudolph and his immediate successors can definitely be compared to Nazi Germany. This is a regime that reduced the overall galactic population from 300 billion at the time of the founding of the Empire to a little over 40 billion at the start of the series. Sure it may have 'mellowed out' a bit by the time of Reinhard, since they apparently don't enforce the Inferior Genes Exclusion Act anymore (Oberstein is literal living proof of that) but it's still a regime that's prepared to sentence a grieving mother who lost all her sons to the war to death by torture because she smashed portraits of Rudolph and the current Emperor.
>>
>>15800958
>>No more cute housewives/maids/etc. because that's sexist

Why'd I watch the show if they'd drop all the marriages from it?
>>
>>15804183
>They remove Mittermeyer's wife and Reunthal's chauvinism because neither are strong positive messages for women
>They make them gay and show gay smut ranging from softcore to hardcore
It's a good thing the west doesn't care about LoGH enough to ruin it
>>
>>15804075
Yeah and it throws a ton of named characters at you non stop so you gotta keep track of your shit. It's handy advice to put on any show really, looking at the caliber of fucking gundam threads and complaints about tomino writing here it's obvious most people watch their subbed anime on their 3rd monitor while jacking off on the 2nd and queuing for raids on the first then come here to bitch that nothing made sense when their playlist ended without them noticing
>>
>>15795471
>Is this really as good as everyone says?

I didn't think so after years of everyone hyping it as the best show ever but it actually lived up to the hype and more for me.
>>
>>15804075
A lot of stuff happens all the time. It's 110 episodes without filler, maybe some stuff that isn't great here and there but it's still happening fast and it will be referenced at later points for plot reassons. Everything matters, to the point you'll be reminded name and rank every time someone appears and it's really helpful.
>>
>>15804101
In media? Yeah, sure. In practice it didn't matter all that much. Turkey was doing their own genocyde and it gets less buzz than nyanking, which doesn't define imperial Japan at all in our eyes. IBM helped gas jews more than any individual soldier.
The state being directly tied to private entreprise and expantion of the Empire were much bigger objectives.
>>
>>15795999
Man, i remember giving this show to someone who loved Game of Thrones. They can't consume it.
>>
>>15796079
I consider LoGH a 10/10 despite its flaws.
It really goes on what you expected on a show rather than looking for perfection. If the Anime is too perfect, it kinda loses its charm. Half of LoGH's charm is how soap opera-ish their writing is sometimes.
>>
>>15804415
Why not? What happened?
Although GoT is SO popular that you have to understand that it isn't people being into politics and complex characters but just the same tricks tv always had with a nice budget and visual elements to fanboy about in facebook.
>>
File: CqUBNaHUIAEa3mN.jpg (84KB, 600x350px) Image search: [Google]
CqUBNaHUIAEa3mN.jpg
84KB, 600x350px
>>15801732
what is this?
>>
>>15804420
I think maybe because GoT has a narrative that easy to consume. If you simplified it, it's just soap opera disguised with complexity. LoGH is actually very raw and not many people can digest it.

Heck i give LoGH to an average anime fans, both consume seasonal anime and those who either selective or stopped watching. They can't survive 15 minutes of episode 1 before being bored.
>>
>>15804465
GoT gives the impression of a lot of things happening when actually it's 4 or 5 per year. It's a good way to make tv, mad respect, but it doesn't show that someone likes the middle ages or fantasy or politics. It could be about anything as long as you keep the structure, kill characters, show sex (happy and sad types) and give people pics and slogans to say "i'm such a bacharachean! I'm gonna get a winged slug tattoo"
>>
>>15795566
Yes. There's one PC RTS by Bandai Namco that was releaed in 2004 or so that has had the interface translated so you can fight battles.
>>
>>15804187
>Phyllis Cazellnu is now an alcoholic and Charlotte hates her father for it
>>
My problem with it is that I never felt like there was any tension whatsoever, which made the show an incredible slog. I think I made it somewhere around episode 50 before I realized I honestly didn't give a shit about literally anyone.
>>
File: 1447181885795.jpg (492KB, 1191x842px) Image search: [Google]
1447181885795.jpg
492KB, 1191x842px
>>15804680
>Yang Wenli's trope of being a high functioning alcoholic is completely omitted, and he instead drinks coffee, because TV-14.
>Yang's musings on upholding democratic values with Julian Minci are removed for expediency and are instead replaced with "we're the good guys, and they're the bad guys" talk.
>Yang is now an Asian championing minority rights, despite the source material stating that distinct races no longer exist.
>Yang and Reinhard's political debate never happens, because "the Galatic Empire does not negotiate with terrorists".
>Merkatz is now portrayed as a Rommel-type figure who went against the tide of the "bad guys" and defected, instead of being an admiral trying to uphold the considerably worse Goldenbaum dynasty.
>The Earth Cult is now an oppressed religious minority that requires protecting from the Galactic Empire, who deny them passage to their holy site of Earth.
There's honestly so much that would need to be cut or outright changed for an HBO live action release that the only similarities might be in visuals and characters alone. It's honestly for the best that no Western media company gains licensing rights to create a spinoff or alternate setting LoGH.
>>
>>15800958
>No more cute housewives/maids/etc. because that's sexist
This one really gets me. The LotGH is sexist because few female admirals annoys me to no end because what is arguably one of the most cunning characters in the series is female. Hildegard was a fucking mastermind and so many people that criticize the show completely ignore her in favor of bitching about why Space Prussia doesn't have an equal 50/50 ratio of men and women in the Space Navy.
>>
>>15804962
>tv14
>no heroes on both sides
>religionson a good light
have you ever seen an HBO show?
The Wire is to cop dramas what LotGH is to Star Wars. No one is evil, you root for both sides, no one is perfect, tons of characters, attention to tiny details, long scenes that are just to present arguments that have no real answer.
>>
>>15804962
>The Earth Cult is now an oppressed religious minority that requires protecting from the Galactic Empire, who deny them passage to their holy site of Earth.

Except the Earth Cult are basically ISIS but with a leadership that's not retarded. They're like the perfect villains to have in the current climate.
>>
>>15805233
>expecting the average LoGHfag to be able to do anything other than shill the animated series with the force of a thousand suns

While we're on the subject of HBO works that bust the "everything is ultra progressive and awful" meme, I can't believe everyone forgot HBO had Generation Kill, the slice of life comedy-drama about a bunch of dysfunctional marines and their daily bullshit during the Iraq invasion.
>>
>>15800958

>Women in the Imperial military

The show actually had that, though, albeit in a very special case.
>>
>>15805291
It's from the same guy who did The Wire, right? I know I've heard of it but I haven't seen it.

And I like LotGH a lot, a 10/10 etc etc. But it tends to fall as baby's first not black and white story and some people assume it's a rarity or that it's a great show because of that alone.
>>
File: C1EzYdhUkAEdXXI.jpg (83KB, 798x595px) Image search: [Google]
C1EzYdhUkAEdXXI.jpg
83KB, 798x595px
>>15804432
Those images? They are from a jap LoGH app game. These kind of app games generally have special events or payed cosmetics, that's why the bizarre, yet funny, images.
>>
File: C1E1SSFUUAAttG2.jpg (77KB, 719x595px) Image search: [Google]
C1E1SSFUUAAttG2.jpg
77KB, 719x595px
Another imperial cutie.
>>
>>15803662
Nah, Reinhard is more Napoleon/Alexander the Great than anything close to Hitler. And if anything even if they made him out to be Hitler, wouldn't that make Truhniht collaborator scum? And I wouldn't call Reinhard exactly a good guy. He turned out to be a net positive by being the instrument through which the Galaxy went through some much needed reforms by gathering much of the empire's talent and sweeping away all those in his path. But without anything left to conquer, he isn't that good at governing aside from letting talented people rise to the top and decide how to run the government. He isn't very good at managing developing factions between his subordinates or being clear to his subjects about his true thoughts, which ended up turning a personality conflict between Oberstein and admirals like Reuenthal with a few badly timed misunderstandings into a full fledged civil war. Yang was too good for his own sake.
>>
>>15804962
>distinct races no longer exist
what is moshengo
>>
>>15805512
The token black guy. Even in the future they're a thing.
>>
>>15805467
>>15805473
Any Alliance cuties?
>>
>>15805233
>>15805291
>>15805309
I think the anon's who are so adamantly against HBO touching LoGH are talking specifically about modern HBO.
>>
File: C0z-2cJUQAIgSsd.jpg (64KB, 716x542px) Image search: [Google]
C0z-2cJUQAIgSsd.jpg
64KB, 716x542px
>>15805554
Took me a while to find where I originally got those. Anyway, use this twitter and you will find more images:
https://twitter.com/gintacmemo
>>
>>15805487
And he only can define talent as kills the most without getting killed. I don't think he could really choose the best guy to design the educational system, public transport or best laws to deal with non military anything.
>>
>>15805556
So HBO doesn't have PG18 shows, no alcohol and good guys always winning?
They are complaining against a boogieman that makes no sense.
>>
>>15799907
Don't forget Kessler is a char.
>>
File: fdfsdfds.jpg (103KB, 722x540px) Image search: [Google]
fdfsdfds.jpg
103KB, 722x540px
>>15805554
>>15805611
In the Alliance side we also have the flavors tomboyish pilot and tall dark skinned officer.
>>
>>15805512
IIRC in the first chapter of the first LotGH novel, when Yang is giving an exposition on his childhood, he states something along the lines of, "ID cards are marked with an E or W denoting whether last name comes first or second. Nevertheless, distinct races and ethnicity no longer exists as everyone has become a sort coffee color". Or something to that affect.
>>
Is it that bad if I either didn't mind or even liked some of the tactics? I mean, I read beforehand that they're based on ship fights so I watched them with that mentality and I'm not really knowledgeable on war so I didn't find them as much as an issue as some people say.
>>
>>15795471
yes
>>
>>15805512
A second lietuenant.
>>
File: do want--uncle phil.png (143KB, 331x240px) Image search: [Google]
do want--uncle phil.png
143KB, 331x240px
>>15805467
>>15805473
>>15805611
>>15805634
Sheeit, they are qt.
>>
>>15803745
>Reinhard is way closer to Hitler than Rudolf ever was

How so? This strikes me as an extremely strained comparison. Reinhard and Goldenbaum were both autocratic rulers, but Reinhard was pretty big on respecting individual rights and freedoms, and to the extent Reinhard wanted to expand the Empire, it was to bring an end to endless intra-human strife instead of "muh lebensraum" as in Hitler's case. And in terms of unifying imperial expansion with private enterprise: The economics of Reinhard's regime aren't explored in extensive depth, but what we do see is very different from Hitler's "thousand-year Reich": Hitler was driving Germany into debt even before WWII started and only kept the economy afloat through a combination of IOUs and plundering conquered nations, and Reinhard's administration of conquered FPA territories was much more competent than Nazi rule over occupied Europe, which alienated large swathes of the people it ostensibly deigned to "liberate" (for instance, the Ukrainians--they were initially happy to be free of Stalin's yoke, but Nazi brutality drove them back into the arms of the Soviets).
>>
>>15805487
>But without anything left to conquer, he isn't that good at governing aside from letting talented people rise to the top and decide how to run the government.
Wrong. Reinhard is explicitly stated to be a gifted autocrat who ran government incredibly smoothly, in part because he had a knack for putting talented people in positions to do great. But handling laws, treaties, and regulations came naturally to him even when he fell ill. The issue is that Reinhard was a soldier at heart and craved the battlefield, so the idea of war was always appealing to him. This, compounded with his intense obsession with how he never had a tactical victory against Yang, was his biggest failing and why Oberstein reprimanded him more than once for his selfish battles with Yang/FPA.
>>
>>15805722
he's clearly african descended

>>15806629
what does that matter
>>
>>15806646
Not 80s enough though.
>>
>>15807227
>Yang Wen-li
>clearly african descended
WE WUZ MAGISHUNZ N SHIET
>>
>>15807227
also
>what does that matter
>not getting the joke
>>
>>15805722
From what I remember, it's not that distinct races no longer exist but rather that people's names may not match their ethnicity after 1000 years of space travel
>>
>>15795665
Get back to bleach you fucking tasteless fag
>>
File: third-rate tv anime.jpg (60KB, 466x700px) Image search: [Google]
third-rate tv anime.jpg
60KB, 466x700px
>>15795665
Go back to your third-rate TV anime, pleb.
>>
>>15810141
>>15810160
Calm down. I don't agree with his assessment either but nothing he says is egregious enough for responses like that.
>>
> 2017
> New LoGH OVA merchandise

Ain't complaining, I'd like some new ship figures larger in scale than the old ones.
>>
What the hell is even going on with the new OVA? Has anything been mentioned besides "it's happening, probably?"
>>
>>15810374
I really want models of the ships.
>>
>>15810815
I really want models of the ships that aren't fucking 1/5000.
>>
>>15805291
Generation Kill was fucking excellent. I want more of the same. Can you imagine a gritty mecha show made along the same lines?

if such a thing exists, please tell me - I haven't spent much time on /m/
>>
>>15812011
Well a lot of what I like about GK isn't the grit per se, but rather the way it contradicts public perception of the armed forces with the reality of things, creating humor and tragedy out of the fact that these are really just people dealing with oddly familiar mundane shit in their own right rather than fighting in a glorious war like the romantics believe.

I'd consider it raw moreso than gritty, as such. You just get the unfiltered garbage of the day in the life of a trained killer, it's not abrasive, but it sure as hell ain't clean and clear cut.
>>
>>15812044
After following Terminal Lance for a while at the suggestion of a marine buddy, I wasn't surprised by the perception of things - I'd just love to see a show tackling the same themes.

Raw is definitely a better term for what I was thinking, though.
>>
>>15812011
>>15812064
Isn't that idea basically just edgy Patlabor?
>>
>>15812064
In a loose and somewhat whimsical way, Strike Witches has a similar sense of daily soldiering, though its more farcical and melodramatic in its ups and downs respectively.

The first two anime series are also kinda dumb and redundant in their own ways too, but the movie is a pretty solid piece and the Brave Witches spinoff is way better than it ought to be.

You have to be able to accept the rather nonsensical pants premise though, but it's also WW2 nerd porn through and through, plus the running subplot of Sakamoto literally being too old for the job and nearly getting herself killed because she can't accept the thought of retiring from combat duty plays out surprisingly well.
>>
>>15810659
There's going to be a LoGH event on September 20 including Tanaka, I figure they'll announce the details then.
>>
>>15805467
>mecklinger without the mostache
>>
>>15795471
This is not /m/ at all.
>>
>>15795471
>Is this really as good as everyone says?

It's a nice adaptation of a series of science fiction novels (think historical space opera) written in the 1970/80s. In other words it ain't the Japanese Star Wars nor the Japanese Star Trek. Once you get that clear you're ready for it.

The show (actually a series of OVAs) is around 100 episodes. Each episode is very talkative with maybe 1 space battle. Battles can span several episodes and each episode carries the story forward. DO NOT BINGEWATCH this show. You'll hate it after 2 episodes top if you do that and won't understand 1/10 of it. Watch 1 episode worth of content, digest it, think about it. Let the characters, situations, etc... sink in and then watch the next. And so on until the last one. Take your damn time. This ain't DragonBall where you can just fast forward the whole damn thing.
>>
>>15812870
>This is not /m/ at all.

If motorcycles and fucking airplanes and tanks qualify as /m/ (as evidence by the myriad threads that have been allowed to opened on the subject) then certainly spaceships and gigantic death star stations are /m/.
>>
>>15812884
Those arent /m/ either.
>>
>100+ replies
>still don't see that webm of "What Happens When A Ship Explodes"
Come on /m/, the gif version I found online is too big to post.
>>
>>15796431
Thank fucking god a guide! I asked /m/ were should i start and some asshole gave me a snarky comment.
>>
>>15812866
Haha, yeah, I thought that too. I was just gonna ask if she was a relative of his or something.
>>
File: Imperial_Power_Armor.gif (3MB, 237x178px) Image search: [Google]
Imperial_Power_Armor.gif
3MB, 237x178px
>>15812870
>Power Armor isn't /m/

You need to go back.
>>
>>15813017
There Is no where to start. It's a show that had spin off prequels. You don't start with a prequel made to add crap. You could start with the novels if that's your thing.
>>
>>15813017
I remember asking /m/ and clarified it quite well. Guess its a luck thing.
>>
>>15812878
>This ain't DragonBall where you can just fast forward the whole damn thing.
Thanks to shit like this we have lots of internet discussion about retards who can't get a show made for 4 year old kids.
>>
>>15812878
>DO NOT BINGEWATCH this show. You'll hate it after 2 episodes top if you do that and won't understand 1/10 of it.
I watched 10-12 episodes per day and loved and understood all of it.
>>
>>15799930
>portrayed as a Machiavellian who
He is genuinely Machiavellian in the actual sense of following the advice of Niccolo Machiavelli.
Machiavelli was someone who lived solely for Florence; even after the Medicis tortured him, he was more than willing to return to serve as a statesman.
Neither Machiavelli nor Oberstein were people who would fuck over their countries for personal gain.
>>
>>15816004
It's rare to see anyone with such purity of intent. Do you think he offed himself?
>>
>>15796431
Why won't it be licensed?
>>
>>15795471
it's pretty solid.

watch the full ova so you have plenty of time to get attached to characters. This way if one of the ones you're attached to dies it will hit you harder.
>>
>>15800093
That ep was pretty great.
>>
>>15819498
This is super old. It actually got licensed now.
>>15796431
Also Overture to a New War is debateable. While it adds in some good scenes, it takes away some other good scenes. If you DO watch it in this order, still dont skip episodes 1 and 2. Honestly I want to make my own cut of OtaNW, combined with chunks of the actual eps 1 and 2, with the best scenes from both, but it'd look like a shitty clusterfuck.
>>
>>15820325
>That ep was pretty great.
A strong contender for my favorite of the last arc, honestly.
>Hold my beer and get me a ladder; I'm going to save the future of the galaxy by going John Woo on these Terraist fucking shits and then marry Sailor Mercury
>>
File: 1375165179689.jpg (185KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1375165179689.jpg
185KB, 720x540px
>>15802473
my room is so dirty
if only kircheis were here
>>
>>15805620
He did, though. Reinhard promoted extremely talented civil engineers and chose a lot of great bureaucrats to help set up the new Odin and Phezzan
Thread posts: 197
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.