[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Char's Mother

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_0489.gif (576KB, 500x388px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0489.gif
576KB, 500x388px
Why did Chad obsess over Lalah being "like a mothe" to him? He was a grown ass man when he met Lalah, and he had known his real mom. And as far as I know, she was younger than him?

So what gives, did he have a mommy fetish or what?
>>
>>15789169
it was done so people would overthink the stupid things he says and make topics like this on the internet
>>
>>15789169
No, you have just failed to understand the main themes of the series. It's OK. It happens all the time.
>>
>>15789169
From my limited understanding, I assume it had to do with her being a much stronger Newtype than him (he's consistently portrayed as one of the weaker Newtypes in all of Gundam, he just makes up for it with his raw piloting skill). So he looked up to her as a sort of mother figure in that aspect.
>>
ゾックを水族館に入れてどうやって出し入れしたのか不思議がってた漫画家さんですよ、他社の漫画家さんにゾックを持っていかれて不愉快だったのかもしれません
>>
>>15789202
I disagree, potatoes are better mashed.
>>
File: 53C9Aj.png (86KB, 719x364px) Image search: [Google]
53C9Aj.png
86KB, 719x364px
>>15789202
>>
>>15789169
I always figured there was a screw up in the translation, that in japanese Char meant Lalah would be the mother of his child, but the translation to english made it sound like Char talking about her like HIS mother.
>>
>>15789198
>From my limited understanding, I assume it had to do with her being a much stronger Newtype than him
I appreciate the fact that you admit that your understanding is limited. Still since this seems to be an unusually common assumption can you tell me on exactly what you are basing it?
It's hard to me to imagine how one could watch the series and come to such a conclusion.
>>
File: yoshiyuki lel tomino hates women.png (405KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
yoshiyuki lel tomino hates women.png
405KB, 1366x768px
>Character called Yoshiyuki
>Mother gets fried
What did Nagahama mean by this?
>>
File: 352.jpg (74KB, 600x846px) Image search: [Google]
352.jpg
74KB, 600x846px
>>15789730
Like a monk that knows kungfu, Char found a person that is different like him but can do more with those special abilities than him. So he sees her as a mothr/teacher to guide him to new power understanding. Then meets Amuro, another more powerful newtype. Char is thrilled to find more "different" people like him, but is pissed at Amuro cause they fight all the time and Amuro wins some which Char isn't used to. Then he gets more mad at Amuro because he thinks Amuro is wasting their special gifts they have to be a slave to normal people, and for Lalah to start liking Amuro more because in Char's mind she is leaving him cause he is a weaker newtype than Amuro. All of this is from 079, zeta, cca, unicorn, and origin, and you have to see Char as one of those nerdy kids in class that thinks he is special combined with Xmen. I like char, but I will admit he is nuts/asshole.
>>
>>15790475
Yes, this is obviously your interpretation but you have not given me an explanation for it.
In the first place I can't respect an opinion that is based the Origin or Unicorn.
What you are describing is mostly his characterization in the Origin which is dramatically different from that in the series.

An essential convention of storytelling is that information shall be presented in a logically consecutive manner.
A much less essential but common convention of storytelling is that the verbal content of the story shall reflect the actual content of the story.
Try to abstract yourself for a moment form looking for coherency. Try to abstract yourself for a moment from the literal verbal content.Those are things that matter very little in Tomino's brand of storytelling.

As you watch this scene for itself without the expectation that it follows the above conventions can you honestly say that the immediate emotional content presented by it corresponds to an attitude suggested by this >>15789198 or this >>15790475 post?

Do you understand what I'm talking about?
>>
>>15791564
I do but idiots who dislike Zeta don't, "muh 'there characters are saying things that they dont mean wtf' "
>>
>>15791867
To be fair, Tomino dialogue is really flowery and indirect. It's as if he meant for things to translate poorly. That's how you get, "I've never betrayed anyone in my life," and, "the Earth isn't square," which actually aren't particularly nonsensical in meaning, but come off as being mental because of the specific way they're phrased.
>>
>>15791878
>I've never betrayed anyone in my life
We've gone over this one before, there are pretty in depth posts in the archives going over the grammar of that specific sentence word by word. The basic conclusion is that the translation is generally accurate even in the context of the situation. Char actually does believe that he has never betrayed others in his life, and the audience is meant to interpret what that says about his character.
>>
>>15791892
That's what I was getting at. The line makes total sense when you consider it, but as it comes, because of how it's worded, it sounds batty.
>>
>>15791892
The problem is that nobody ever seem to consider the phrase in the context of the conversation it is used in.
And that is another aspect of Tomino's indirect speech. For example there are many times that people say things just because they are angry. In this case few people are considering Char and Haman's feelings and the context of their relationship and how these reflect on the things they say to each other. They just take everything the characters say at face value.
>>
>>15791900
>>15791901
Everyone here is more or less on the same page, really. Tomino's writing is very unique, but its also part of what makes his characters so interesting.

Kamille is another great example of this. He says a lot of really stupid, childish stuff when he's upset or throwing a tantrum. It often either gets completely taken out of context (like the famous autism scene) or gets taken as if the character's opinions are those of the author. When Kamille is in tears ranting about how adults are always so unfair to him, it's not Tomino saying that kids are smarter than adults, it's a fifteen year old boy being upset. We have so many instances of writers using characters as a mouthpiece for their personal views rather than allowing them to develop naturally, or of young children written as adults that Tomino's dialogue comes off as bizarre when it fails to follow those conventions.

Tomino really indulged these tendencies pretty far in G-Reco, which is why so many people were turned off by it. Even I felt there were a few times there where he was a little too busy being clever rather than trying to form a conventionally coherent story.
>>
>>15791892
>Char actually does believe that he has never betrayed others in his life, and the audience is meant to interpret what that says about his character.
That is exactly the opposite of the point I was trying to make.
>>
>>15789169
>So what gives, did he have a mommy fetish or what?

Well he did kiss her
>>
>>15789202
I can read that and it doesn't make sense. Try again.
>>
>>15791878
>>15791892
>>15791923

Can anyone link me to these analysis in the archives? I'm interested in reading them.
>>
>>15794513
You don't need them. There is really nothing particularly peculiar or outstanding about the phrase.
>>15791878
Neither of the quotes sounds mental. Nor has the latter generated discussion because of the way it is phrased. It has never been considered weird, nonsensical or interpreted as metaphorical in any way. There hasn't been a time when it wasn't been interpreted in the literal way stated in >>15791892
>Char actually does believe that he has never betrayed others in his life, and the audience is meant to interpret what that says about his character
If >>15791923 meant to affirm this interpretation by his own example then he did it rather ineptly. As I stated above the phrase in question has never been interpreted in any way as the author's assessment or, for that matter, as anything other than the character's subjective assessment.

Which is exactly what i was protesting against here >>15791564. Interpreting a phrase, metaphorical or not, sensible or not, as an absolute statement, subjective or not, rather than as something that only makes sense strictly within the context of this scene. Which is why I asked that anon to stop looking for coherency and try to focus on the immediate emotional content of the scene we were discussing.

Verbal content as well as audio and visual prompts will be used to create the illusion of coherency of the narrative by providing to the audience cues for forming a logically consistent internal narrative that helps you consciously process the story. Tomino simply doesn't seem to care about that.

The major part of his dialogue is there to heighten the impressionistic effect of the scene, a part is just autistic infodump but there is rarely any "glue" so please, stop interpreting what is not glue as glue.
>>
>>15794513
https://desuarchive.org/m/thread/15140219/#q15153227

This is the most in depth analysis I can find, but there are other interpretations in that thread alone.

>>15795230
>There hasn't been a time when it wasn't been interpreted in the literal way

Some posters here still try and spin "I've never betrayed anyone in my entire life" as a mistranslation, claiming that Char was only talking about never betraying Haman specifically, such as here:
https://desuarchive.org/m/thread/14986823/#q14987580

There have literally been threads that have reached bump limit simply trying to debate the validity of the "I've never betrayed anyone in my entire life" translation.
>>
Oh boy, it's this thread again
>>
wasn't it that lalah was kind and caring like his mother to him and that she could care for his children/to the new-types like a mother
>>
>>15791892
my interpretation of that phrase is that he believes it because he never considered himself loyal to anyone in the first place, and thus couldn't betray them in the first place since he wasn't loyal to them period

but then I have a very low opinion of Char Aznable/Casval Deikun/Edward Mass/Quattro Bajeena as a person in general(IE I believe he's a sociopath at minimum, and probably a full on psychopath)
>>
>>15796384
>Some posters here still try and spin "I've never betrayed anyone in my entire life" as a mistranslation, claiming that Char was only talking about never betraying Haman
This is not my point. This is an exception rather than a rule and it's an expression of a contrarian reaction to the popular opinion rather than an opinion in itself. Which in fact IS the point I am trying to make. People don't always say what they mean.
>>
>>15796411
>I believe he's a sociopath at minimum, and probably a full on psychopath
Avoid using words you don't understand.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.