[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gundam: The Origin

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

File: Origin Char.jpg (9KB, 300x236px) Image search: [Google]
Origin Char.jpg
9KB, 300x236px
How is it possible to get a character so wrong? I always wondered why people hated Origin but now I know. I seriously hope they stop before the OYW. I don't want these fucks to remake the original
>>
The Char fan service is annoying, but not offensively so, at least in my opinion. The Origin is good-enough for what it's trying to do. Also, I won't mind a remake so long as they keep the script virtually unchanged, only adding some stuff to fight scenes.
>>
>>15786033
What is wrong with The Origin Char, anyway? I see complaints about it all the time but very little explanation as to "what" exactly is wrong with this interpretation of Char. If anything it's an attempt to reconcile his characterization in Char's Counterattack.
>>
You know that MS:G starts like 8 months into the OYW, right? They've got a lot of white space to fill in.
>>
>>15786033
Pretty sure Yas, the creator of Gundam's visual universe and the most important person on the staff that wasn't Tomino, knows who Char is more than you do, jackass.
>>
>>15786066
Honestly, I don't get it either.

I can understand complaints re: how Char-centric the whole thing is; I mean, the guy basically sets the stage for the OYW single-handedly. Hopefully the next series of episodes have the Zabis take a more central role in the development of the story, particularly Gihren.
>>
In all versions Char was an asshole
>>
>>15786090

after Loum it would be Amuro and White Base
>>
File: download.jpg (6KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6KB, 259x194px
>>15786033
The Origin is Char's headcanon that he brags about
>>
I don't think it qualifies as bad, but I don't like the Origin OVA. The manga was a lot better. Char is my favorite character, but the OVA tries way too hard to make him look cool. All the changes are dumb.
>>
>>15786066

Char was always a loser who never really accomplished much. Best was setting up Garma to be killed by White Base and offing Kycillia during the confusion of the final battle. He's ineffective in Zeta as Quattro, and in CCA he's trying to end the world to goad Amuro into one last battle after being burnt out from different pressures.

Origin takes that and tries to make him the most incredible SOB ever.
>>
What, you don't like how Char now has a magic adhesive shoulder that causes debilitating pain and horror in anybody who tries to touch him while preventing their escape, and that Char also creates his own gravitational field so that a larger man pulling on him with all his strength does affect him? Let's not forget his ability to finger flick with 100,000 tons of force behind it which is so strong it overcomes friction and slides his enemies away like marbles.
>>
yeah but this is the series where your dead friends' magic soul essences can power up your giant robot, who the fuck cares if one guy happens to have superpowers?
>>
>>15786138
I loved the manga. As crazy as it sounds I prefer it to the original anime.
How different is the anime adaptation?
>>
>Char was always a loser who never really accomplished much
That's because lol Tomino.
It's time to free fake Char from that curse.
>>
File: 2346.jpg (125KB, 321x360px) Image search: [Google]
2346.jpg
125KB, 321x360px
>>15786033
If you're going to shitpost, at least throw out an argument to be made.
>>
>>15786168
>tries to make him the most incredible SOB ever.

Amuro has at least one more victory over Char in The Origin at Gibraltar than he did in the original series, so its not as if he's unbeatable. Also its not really that Char hasn't accomplished much, but rather that he hasn't accomplished many things that were constructive. He's progressed through these stories by backstabbing, manipulating, and destroying the people around him more than anything else.
>>
Whose bright idea was it to turn Char into a G Gundam character?
>>
>>15786033
You have shit taste, lad.
>>
>>15786033
I feel you.
>>15786066
>If anything it's an attempt to reconcile his characterization in Char's Counterattack.
The belief that such a thing is necessary indicates the depth of your ignorance.
>>15786077
Then maybe he willfully chose to ignore it.
>>
>>15786090
>the guy basically sets the stage for the OYW single-handedly.

No he fucking doesn't for god's sake. People keep saying this, but they are idiots.

He goads Garma into starting the first skirmish with the federation. Keep in mind, the war doesn't happen until a couple of years after his thing with the academy. At best, it made tensions slightly higher.

For Christ sake even before that happened, they had the zabi's turning the mobile workers into weapons for an expected war against the federation. It was always gonna happen, char's actions or not.
>>
>>15786033
The Char flashbacks are the weakest part of The Origin. It's probably better that they just get them over now than do what the manga did and shove them all in your face right after Jaburo, but there's no getting around the fact that it's all just side dressing. The real meat of the story is with the White Base.
>>
That MG '78-2, though.
>>
>>15787181
Not him, but the skirmish at the EFF base leads the EF to ask the Zabi to hand over Garma, which is what prompts side 3 to officially break off from the EF. Although like you said, it takes a few more years to officially kick off the war and side 3 going independent was being built to anyways with Garma's attack just being the excuse.

>>15786066
To be fair, later in the manga he's straight up bonkers. He comes to beleive that as the heir of his father it's only natural that he is THE newtype, and has plans to start a rebellion after Zeon wins and start a nation of newtypes with him at the helm. He even asks Amuro to join him at gunpoint and then barely manages to control his fury when Amuro dares to insinuate Char might not even be a newtype.

>>15786090
>>
>>15786033
Origins Char was made more of an overt sociopath than the original one, that said the animation both made him better and worse.

For exmaple, in the manga version HE was the one who caused the destruction of the agricultural block that started fanning the flames between Zeon and the Federation.
While the animation added in him purposefully murdering his former roommate to make sure he didn't tell anyone about his identity.
>>
>>15787235
>He was the one who caused the destruction of the agricultural block
He knew what was going to happen. He didn't cause. He was betting that the federation wouldn't do shit, but hoping something bad happens != causing bad shit to happen
>>
>>15787256
If it wasn't for Char the war would have started much later than it did
>>
What really bothers me is how the Origin makes contrived scenarios where the characters meet. When they met Mirai I could imagine Yas telling hey look isn't cool the characters met each other even before the OYW. It isn't bad but it isn't necessary either
>>
>>15787235
In the manga it was just a random astroid impact wasn't it? Or at least thats how I remember it.
>>
So was that cowboy a spy or was Char being a paranoid fuck?
>>
File: Finger flick.gif (4MB, 640x464px) Image search: [Google]
Finger flick.gif
4MB, 640x464px
Just try to defend this Originfags
>>
>>15786168
>Origin takes that and tries to make him the most incredible SOB ever.

Char gets his ass kicked even harder in Origin than in 0079.

Like, the part where Char is the focus is the only moment he really gets to shine. Everything else is Amuro's game. I don't have my scans on hand, but the manga is full of cool action from our protagonist, be it in his MS or on foot.

If anything, all the hype over Char only makes his fall steeper. His petty vendetta with the Gundam's pilot, his complete defeat at Amuro's hand, Sayla walking away from him. At the end of the sword battle in A baoa Qu, when Sayla runs to the injured Amuro, Char has a flashback to the armored dude who tried to kill him and Sayla and Char realizes all his machinations and obsession made him the same sort of asshole as the people who ruined his life.

Origin gave many people a badass upgrade, but it remained true to their characters as well.
>>
>>15787296
Visual gags, like the exagerated expressions you see once in a while in the show. Though admittedly they work better on paper.
>>
File: Char's gravitational pull.png (331KB, 633x370px) Image search: [Google]
Char's gravitational pull.png
331KB, 633x370px
>>15787299
How the guy with superpowers lose?
>>
>>15787309
Amuro pretty much dominates him from Operation Odessa onwards. Like Char challenges the Gundam to a dramatic duel on a cliff overlooking the sea, but he gets his ass kicked in a few pages.
>>
>>15787309
Makes perfect since. Ever since the end of Zeta newtypes went from telepaths with precognition to being able to effect the physical world. Origin just went along with how newtypes were later on. Personally, I think it was a stupid decision especially after seeing Kamille extending his beam saber but what's done is done
>>
>>15787299
>Origin gave many people a badass upgrade, but it remained true to their characters as well.
Well, I guess Char wasn't among those "many characters".
>>
>>15787335
Yas must hate Char since in the original he was able to finish the Gundam with the Zeong
>>
>>15787309

> Char's soul could never escape gravity because his soul is gravity
>>
>>15787329
Except for his first encounter against his gelgoog. Char had his beam rifle literally pressed against Amuro's cockpit and let him go.
>>
>>15787358
>>15787329
>>15787299
So is Char a loser or not?
>>
>>15787265
He hacked the federation monitoring station that would have warned side 3 about said meteor.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.