[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is this old bald man grumbling about this time?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

File: DHJIrDAV0AE-i7_.jpg (338KB, 1200x1196px) Image search: [Google]
DHJIrDAV0AE-i7_.jpg
338KB, 1200x1196px
What is this old bald man grumbling about this time?
>>
>>15777949
Tomino: Are we going to be talking about what we’re going to make from now on, or is it going to be about how troubling it is that I’ve thrown so much criticism at Araki’s beloved Your Name (laughs)?

Araki: Oh, that’s no trouble at all (laughs). I do think Your Name is a good movie, though.

Tomino: I wonder. The bands Southern All Stars and Mr. Children have been around for something like 20 or 30 years, right? However, with Your Name, something that is so popular now, it’s difficult to say if it will still be watched five years from now. Creators have to think about the possibility that their movie might be understood now, but not later. Speaking of, another movie from this year (2016) that has potential to last is Shin Godzilla. However, there are most likely Your Name fan’s that think making hits like Shin Godzilla is behind the times and needs to end.

Araki: Whether it’s forgotten or becomes a classic, it at least has to gain that popularity the moment it comes out.

Tomino: Definitely, first your work needs to be popular. The work can have merit only because the viewer gives their outside opinion. Opinions need to have input from both sides. The director can by no means think, “I’m pretty good, so everyone else must think I’m good too.”
>>
>>15777962

Araki: What is the difference between die-hard fans saying one thing will last and another won’t?

Tomino: Aren’t they only saying that because they are riding along with the popularity, like with Your Name? Of course, I can understand why Your Name had such overwhelming positive response. Even on this morning variety show, it appears that a lot of young people want to go out on pilgrimages to sights from the movie, regardless of weather.

Initially, I wasn’t exactly sure how the director, Shinkai (Makoto), went about doing his work. When he made his first work, he came to see me. In those days, I thought Shinkai was a 3D artist. His true motivation felt a little different than that of a movie director. On the other hand, Shin Godzilla‘s director, Anno (Hideaki), had his big break with (Neon Genesis) Evangelion, but then went on to live action films and even voice acting (laughs).

Araki: That did happen, didn’t it (laughs).

Tomino: Coming back to the main point, Anno is the kind of person that, despite doing many other things, followed this path and definitively arrived at the idea of directing a movie.

Araki: Shinkai has continued to build on his movies since his first work.

Tomino: It’s because he has continued to make movies that, if he’s not careful, he won’t be able to separate from what he likes. There is a bit Iwai Shunji[1] in him. Something close to and author’s eye. If that is all he has though — and he can surpass Tanizaki Junichiro, a famous Japanese modern literature author, in taste, conversation style, and writing ability — then he can compare to the greats. Without that he won’t be able to break past this wall that he has gone and created for himself.
>>
>>15777968
Araki: By likes, do you mean the way he writes women? You got quite angry with me many times when I worked on G-Reco (Gundam Reconguista in G). You told me all the girls were drawn up to fit into some stereotypical pattern.

Tomino: I guess you can call Your Name powered by the idea of love, and that is pretty self-contained. It fits the concept of love today, so a lot of people went crazy to see it. If you’re able to bring out that general idea skillfully and add in a bit of sci-fi into the mix then “ding ding ding you’ve got a winner!” In that sense, Shinkai does a stunning job. The number one problem for creators is producing a b movie. Things like Moonlight Mask, Ultraman, and Superman. It feels like Shinkai only creates what he’s interested in. In the process of working with games and CG, he more or less learned how to add in the key components for sci-fi, but, after this, in three, five years time, it’s a question of whether he can find himself able to make another popular movie.

Araki: Put bluntly, planning an anime involves imagining what the near future is like.

Tomino: Rather, it’s about having the confidence to declare you can combine current and future trends. I think the reason why children were so taken with (Mobile Suit) Gundam when it came out, was because it was a different kind of period drama. It wasn’t the science fiction aspect they latched onto, but the instinctual structure of period dramas. I mean, stuff like “The Red Comet is coming!” isn’t really what you would find in science fiction (laughs). One more thing. The economic grown in Japan was still going strong into the late 70s, and there was still faith in new technology, so giant robots weren’t hated. Riding on those two points, Gundam was able to become a hit. Because of my youthful indiscretion at the time, I stupidly chalked it all up to the theory of Newtypes, but that was covered for all of one minute.
>>
>>15777974
I couldn’t become Iwai Shunji, so I had to bring myself up with my own taste. But, there are always one or two parts in a movie that the audience will find funny when it was intended to be scary (laughs). Shinkai’s works don’t have this kind of conflict. Conversely, Anno did have those conflict and sunk after Eva. When he came into his 50s and started producing Godzilla (1954), he understood that it should be more realistic, that it should be more along the lines of Hollywood’s version of Godzilla (2014).

Despite that, there is still a sense that he should have made it like the original Toho version of Godzilla. This is because the original Godzilla had something special. It was made so people at that time could love it. Entertainment is just that, is it not?

Last is the problem of healing anime and beautiful girls. People often wonder how it is that animators never tire of the same voices and the same voice actors. I want to say that people of my generation never really paid much attention to voice actors. I want to say this, but we and the generation before us were all the same. At the very least Japanese men have always liked the sound of a beautiful woman. A perfect example is the b film eras famous actress Hara Setsuko [2]. Her voice was a bit husky, but it had the same effect as healing anime today. There were a ton of directors that cast her, but it had to be because they liked her insurmountable voice.

Araki: Like, transforming to the ideal?

Tomino: Yes. So, even if I alluded to hating it, and instead tried to go a different route with choosing lesser known voice actresses instead of big names, the anime wouldn’t be as popular.
>>
>>15777979
Araki: You can’t completely ignore what people currently like.

Tomino: Yes, yes.

Araki: But what if you think, “I want to unearth the beauty of this” or “I want to express this”? Constantly thinking that you never really know how conscious or ignorant people are of something.

Tomino: There’s no way you could know!

Araki: There’s no way (bitterly laughs)?

Tomino: If you get stuck in that vortex you’ll be no better than an otaku who thinks “yeah, this is good!” and continues on their way.

Araki: So, for the time being, what do we do?

Tomino: It’s not just for the time being, this is something important. If you mess up there, you can’t go on doing your job. For some time, I’ve even had a problem.

Araki: Since Turn A Gundam you’ve been making stories that were for the general public, I like those stories. It’s important to approach it in a way to clearly show what everyone likes.

Tomino: Of course, but if it’s not what you, yourself, likes, it feels strained to showcase it properly.

Araki: I understand that.

Tomino: In that way, it feels pretty awkward (sighs).

Araki: So, I thought we could talk about today’s “Ask Tomino” [“I can’t understand the concept behind hate tweets”(Nov.2016)].

Tomino: What about it?

Araki: Even outside of Twitter, if you see negative comments about your work on the internet it’s depressing. I find it difficult to remove myself from that. Two weeks later I’ll be giving it my best, but it still hurts, and after two years I might see the same user and think “It’s Twitter user XXX! Not that guy again!” (laughs). I used to have a Twitter account — I never posted — but I got rid of it. Basically, to protect yourself, you have to distance yourself from internet opinions. Clear the air by realizing there are many opinions out there, or else it’s easy to get caught up in “why does everyone hate this character when I like them so much?”
>>
>>15777984
Araki: Even outside of Twitter, if you see negative comments about your work on the internet it’s depressing. I find it difficult to remove myself from that. Two weeks later I’ll be giving it my best, but it still hurts, and after two years I might see the same user and think “It’s Twitter user XXX! Not that guy again!” (laughs). I used to have a Twitter account — I never posted — but I got rid of it. Basically, to protect yourself, you have to distance yourself from internet opinions. Clear the air by realizing there are many opinions out there, or else it’s easy to get caught up in “why does everyone hate this character when I like them so much?”

Tomino: I get the part about getting caught up in it all.

Araki: In my case, I didn’t have the confidence to follow through with what I wanted. Especially if a character I thought would do well, didn’t, I deflated. Would that mean that characters I don’t see doing well are just going to get destroyed? Eventually, everything got to me (bitterly laughs). The louder the hate, the more you get pulled away from the positive fans. Compared to manga, it’s far easier to see and hear hateful comments, so the sheer number is unnecessary.
>>
>>15777991
Tomino: It was about a month ago, I accidentally saw someone badmouthing the Zeta Gundam movies (Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A New Translation movie trilogy). I felt bummed thinking, “even now they are still criticizing it.” It’s been ten years since the release of this movie that I’ve nearly forgotten about, and yet when I see that I can’t help but believe that that’s the reason it didn’t do well at the box office. After that, I laid low for a bit, even when I was asked to do the job it felt that I was only good for making my previous TV shows into movies. I remember thinking — it would be pretty easy to turn into a hermit with these kinds of jobs — while working on the movie. Then I went on to make G-Reco, which turned out even worse than the Zeta Gundam movies it’s not possible to fall even further.

Why, at my age, did I want to try directing something new? G-Reco was meant to be an anime that overcame all the negatives of my previous works and took an entirely different point of view. It was my lifeline. I put aside whether that was a good way to think or not, I advocated for a deconstruction of Gundam and set out to create something that was nothing like Zeta Gundam. I was motivated by the idea that it probably wouldn’t become a huge hit. In the end, I can only do so much.
>>
>>15777996
That reminds me when I heard there was going to be a 1/1 scale Gundam statue planned, I knew it was a statue, and the first gundam at that, but initially I heard it wasn’t going to move at all. So I told them they should make it move, and with a motor added in the head, they were able to do just that. If it didn’t have that motion in the head, it might as well have been a 1/1 scale concrete statue. If it could move, even a little, it was different than the giant Buddha statue in Nara. I never thought it would be around for five years, though. With that kind of gimmick, I thought it would become a sightseeing spot. Because of how the entertainment industry works today, when I stood in front of the 1/1 scale I decided that I couldn’t look at this in disdain, but had to continue to show a smile. I didn’t know if there would be a camera around, so I had to be sure to wear a mask. That was my duty.

Araki: That’s how a professional does it.
>>
>>15777962
>>15777968
>>15777974
>>15777979
>>15777984
>>15777991
>>15777996
>>15777999
Thanks! This was a good read. Why do you think Araki sticks around with Tomino a lot these days? Is it because they're working on G-Reco movies?
>>
>>15777996
>I advocated for a deconstruction of Gundam and set out to create something that was nothing like Zeta Gundam
Is deconstruction the right terminology here? I feel like subversion would be more accurate to what he's saying.
>>
Why does Tomino sounds so depressed?
>>
Tomino's a good guy. Shame this place has become robot /v/ as of late
>>
File: 1457758339974.png (162KB, 480x502px) Image search: [Google]
1457758339974.png
162KB, 480x502px
Thanks you, translator kun
>>
>>15778080
>Why does Tomino sounds so depressed?

He doesn't. He's just been around the block alot longer than the new guys so of course he's gonna have a jaded view with the eventual spot-on insight on the industry and those that work in it.
>>
>>15777949
>>15777962

Am I missing something? That doesn't seem to be a translation of that page. Is there more content and you copied that from elsewhere, or are you just trolling?
>>
>>15778523
>Am I missing something?

If you're not a professional translator don't even fucking start man. Translation doesn't mean 1 word for 1 word.
>>
>>15777996
Man he's being hard on G-Reco which didnt even preform bad.
>>
>>15778529
Well it's not the page. It's something else. OP pic is about something something Tomino's roots in Mushi Pro.
>>
>>15778017
Didn't Tomino approach him to direct that G-Reco episode and something something. I can't remember how it fully went but I remember there was an interview from back then about it.
>>
>>15778601
He directed and did the storyboard for G-Reco episode 10.
>>
>Miyazaki badmouthing What's Your Name?
>Tomino badmouthing What's Your Name?

So, when is Anno going to join in?

I love them for the old jeezers they are but it's kind of funny seeing that Shinkawa can see what they do not.
Most of the big names became big because they were young and simply made a stunningly animated piece which served to bring about their young fantasies to life. For them, it was the future.
Shinkawa did the same and pushes the same buttons. Beautiful animation and the fantasy of cheerful love against all odds, which is a huge part of what defines modern Japanese youth.
The funny part is that Shinkawa wasn't one of the people who did it back when he started out and yet he can see it and they do not.
>>
>>15778646
You mean Shinkai.

I hate 5 cm per second anyway. I remember buying the dvd because everyone was praising it. It was an hour of literal nothing.

Fuck me for thinking normie anime could be good.
>>
>>15778646

Tomino is not badmouthing Shinkai. He just says what everyone that doesn't have blinders on can see just as well. And that is that Shinkai is anchored to his one pet theme. And that theme translates into every film he has done. There comes a point when people ask if he's just a one trick pony. We will see if Shinkai has the talent to tackle other themes. I'd say he can't but we will see.
>>
>>15778646
You got the name of the movie and the director's name wrong, fantastic work
>>
>>15778662
Yeah, I fucked up on the name of the guy but the title of the movie is correct.
The English title is a pretty gross mistranslation of the phrase and doesn't make much sense.

>>15778661
I agree Shinkai definitely reuses the same theme, I'm just saying that they were no better.
Fuck, you can still tell an anime is done by Tomino because the guy does the same thing over and over and over again.
GAINAX was the same.
>>
>>15778674
>Fuck, you can still tell an anime is done by Tomino because the guy does the same thing over and over and over again.

This is simply not true. People that say otherwise are definitely lacking in knowledge about what Tomino has done. His career was made famous by Gundam (and its sequels) but Tomino has done way way more anime that just Gundam shows. And he is very eclectic when it comes to the themes he likes to put into visual form. So no, you just cannot compare Shinkai to Tomino at least not at this point in time.
>>
>>15778689
>His career was made famous by Gundam (and its sequels) but Tomino has done way way more anime that just Gundam shows.

He hasn't done anything but said repeats since the turn of the century, anon.
Turn A, Overman King Gainer and G Reco are merely the same show done thrice.

Yes, he made Ideon or Zambot 3. Doesn't change the fact all of his output for the last 19 years has been as one dimensional as it gets.
>>
>>15778712
He's too happy and old to do anything new anyways (a lot less anime titles too). Heck, his former co-worker Yas does nothing but manga now, and that guy's role on the Gundam Origin anime production was anciliary at best.
>>
>>15778689
>Tomino has done way way more anime that just Gundam shows
And most of those aren't well known, or even good.
He even admits he's not made anything worth a damn since Turn A here >>15777996
>>
>>15778529
If you don't have a clue about Japanese language, don't reply to someone questioning a translation.
>>
>>15778674
>The English title is a pretty gross mistranslation of the phrase

It's the fucking official English name. "Sen to Chihiro" doesn't mean "Spirited Away" but that's what it goes by. Stop being such a fucking weeb.
>>
>>15779542
神隠し does though
>>
Why do Japanese newspapers still look like they're from the 50s?
>>
>>15779605
they didn't have USA Today making the mcpaper the standard
>>
>>15777949
The article is about how he got into the business.
His time at Mushi-Pro making Atom, how he dropped his hometown Odawara, and later space war with Zambot 3, Daitarn 3, and Gundam.
Then he talks about political stuff in Gundam.
>>
>>15778551
Anon, G-Reco was that bad. I'd rather watch IBO.
>>
>>15779815
Found the retard
>>
>>15778712
>Turn A, Overman King Gainer and G Reco are merely the same show done thrice.
None of these shows are remotely similar.
>>15778756
>And most of those aren't well known, or even good.
Is that why his works get constant reissues and releases dating as far back as the 70's? Because they're not well known or good according to you
>>
>>15778674
>I'm just saying that they were no better.

Zambot 3 is nothing like G-Reco and vice versa

Your Name is literally 3cm with a more happier ending
>>
>>15779785
Sounds boring as fuck. The Shinkai stuff is way more interesting.
>>
File: 1500749454213.png (541KB, 548x668px) Image search: [Google]
1500749454213.png
541KB, 548x668px
>>15779895
>>
>>15779785
>Then he talks about political stuff in Gundam

What does he say about that?
>>
>>15780214
Double the question
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.