[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What Gundam show should I watch if I want to become a fan of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: gundam.jpg (155KB, 500x689px) Image search: [Google]
gundam.jpg
155KB, 500x689px
What Gundam show should I watch if I want to become a fan of Gundams? No, I will not start with Gundam mobile. It's old and boring. I don't mind too much not understanding some plot points, I think Gundams look cool but I want to get into the franchise.
>>
>>15776869
How the fuck should we know? You're an anon, we don't know what you like. Go watch a few episodes of each one and decide, you lazy faggot.
>>
>>15776869
>if I want to become a fan of Gundams?
Why would you do this? Why would you want to deliberately try and become a fan of something? You give it a try and you either like it and maybe become a fan, or don't like it.

> It's boring
How can you know this despite not having actually seen it? It being old means it might look dated visually, but it holds up fine.

>I want to get into the franchise.
When I did this I started with 00. That's as good a place as any.
>>
>>15776913
I want to be a fan because I really like how Gundams look. Looks like you suggested 00, I may start with that too.
>>
>>15776869
>No, I will not start with Gundam mobile. It's old and boring.
Then don't watch any of it.
>>
>>15776869
If you're asking for my opnion then watch them by production order
but since you don't want to that then watch a few episodes from each universe and stick with the one that seems interesting
also Watch the G Gundam dub
>>
>>15776869
>No, I will not start with Gundam mobile
The fuck?
>>
>>15776869
Then Gundam is not for you. Move along and go watch Gurren-Lagann or something, that's more your speed.
>>
You're gonna miss a fuckton of meta/context of any series without watching the original.
If you fucking must, watch the movie trilogy instead of the TV series.
Also, what I would consider the best episode of Gundam takes place in the second half of a sequel of a sequel of the original and requires context from the original series.
So have fun being a plebian and NOT getting the primary experience if you can't handle a show whose animation is older than yourself.
>>
File: 79361ca9f7f52f1906554debed8797bf.jpg (420KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
79361ca9f7f52f1906554debed8797bf.jpg
420KB, 1280x1024px
I felt that Thunderbolt was pretty decent and seem to be a good point to start but...
> It's old and boring.
It's one of the best, if you don't want to bother with it, don't bother with Gundam at all.
>>
Not 0083 thats for sure. You should never start which what is handsdown the best entry in the entire franchise. Save that for after you've watched the bad ones (read: most of Gundam). I'd say watch War in the pocket first because if you watch it later it wont be as interesting anymore. Its story driven so watching it later makes it fairly boring because its the same, rehashed Gundam story that youve already seen a dozen times before. The fact that its well executed doesnt really add anything anymore, especially since that OVA is mediocre in all other aspects (art, animation, audio design).
>>
>>15776869
>I will not start with Gundam mobile. It's old and boring.
>>15776869
>I don't mind too much not understanding some plot points
>>15776869
>I think Gundams look cool but I want to get into the franchise.
Then fuck it all and just watch the battle scenes on youtube retard. What did you expect?
>>
>>15777028
Lets be real, Gundam plot isnt remotely deep enough to require the viewer to watch prequel. Its almost always the same rehashed story with the exact same elements and character archtypes. You dont even need to watch MSG to understand Zeta, and thats a direct sequel. This isnt Fafner were you wont understand jackshit of whats happening in Exodus if you havent watched all the prequels. Gundam doesnt have specific terminology that isnt incredibly simply to grasp or extensive world building that requires a certain level of knowledge to be appreciated and understood. The only exception to that are series ending movies, like CCG or the Wings one.
>>
>>15776869
You don't deserve Gundam then, go back to Naruto or some shit.
>>
>>15776869
>What Gundam show should I watch if I want to become a fan of Gundams? No, I will not start with Gundam mobile. It's old and boring.
"No I will not start with Mobile [Suit Gundam]"
Then, no, you will not be a fan.

You'll never really be a fan of Gundam if you can't even watch the show itself. At best you'll just casually like the designs, at worst you'll be a fucking poseur and the cancer of /m/. EVERY, and I mean every, Gundam show after 0079 is in some way referential to the original. The degree varies, but to say that you like "Build Fighters" but didn't finish any of the "old shows" is to say "I watched Build Fighters to say that I fit in, but didn't enjoy it beyond the most basic level and was numb to the entire point of it"

Could you imagine a "hardcore star wars fan" that flat-out refused to watch the original trilogy, but called themselves a fan because they were in love with Star Wars: Rebels? That's what you're going to be. Furthermore, if you can't stomach an old show, I daresay /m/ is not your board. If you go around unironically trashing old shows just for being old, you're going to be ridiculed.
>>
>>15777134
That analogy doesnt work because Star Wars is a coherent and more or less linear story that builds up in a progressive manner. You dont even need to know shit about MSG to understand its direct sequels in form of Zeta and ZZ. Gundam has no interconnected story that requires prior knowledge, thats especially the case if you watch stuff that isnt directly connected to the original series (MSG-CCG). You dont need to have watched anything else to understnad or like War in the pocket, 0083, IBO, Seed, GReco and so on. The only one you kinda need it for is Unicorn. Then again, thats mostly rehashed story anyway so you only need it to understand the events that occur while Frontal is dying. You people need to stop acting like Gundam is some series of hundreds of episodes that requires knowledge of earlier installments to grasp the incredibly simple story. It isnt, not even in the slightest.
>>
>>15776869
Gundam Wing? that's a good start
>>
>>15777158
>You people need to stop acting like Gundam is some series of hundreds of episodes that requires knowledge of earlier installments to grasp the incredibly simple story. It isnt, not even in the slightest.
No one is saying this.
>>
>>15777195
People are saying that to appreciate the series see this
>You'll never really be a fan of Gundam if you can't even watch the show itself. At best you'll just casually like the designs

Hes is literally implying that you can not be a fan of Gundam if you havent watched MSG. Why would anyone say that if it didnt imply that you need the knowledge of early installments? If you dont need to have seen MSG to understand X, then you can love X, with X being a random amount of installments. So no Anon, I am pretty sure that at least one person is claiming exactly that.
>>
>>15777206
It's not about understanding the story, it's about appreciating and having experienced the franchise you are claiming to be a fan of. You definitely cannot be a fan of Gundam if you have not seen the original series.
>>
>>15777158
To truly be a Gundam fan you have to at least watch the original series (or film trilogy if you lack time) because it's the most important one out of the entire franchise. Some would argue the best.
By watching 0079, you will gain a better appreciation for the other series because 0079 is where the sequels and AU's derive their ideas from for the most part.

There is no reason to not watch the original series, especially the film trilogies, unless you're just too lazy.
If you can't be bothered to watch because of old animation, then you'll probably can't be bothered to watch Gundam because of the politics.

Nevertheless I wouldn't say 0079 has to be watched first. Just that if you really want to appreciate the franchise, you have to watch the original eventually.
>>
>>15776869
Probably Gundam Unicorn then. It's short, has some of the best animation of the franchise, and easy to digest
>>
>>15777223
>you can not be a fan of something if you have seen 300 hours of material but not the 20 specific hours that I choose
Makes no sense whatsoever.

>>15777225
>because it's the most important one out of the entire franchise
In what way exactly is it important to the viewer? It doesnt introduce the war but happens after the war has already "ended". The conflicts in MSG are of the same gravity as they are in all other installments.

>If you can't be bothered to watch because of old animation, then you'll probably can't be bothered to watch Gundam because of the politics
Thats a pretty bold assumption. Theres a gigantic difference between being unable to appreciate certain aspects and simply being unable to force yourself through 70s animation. Because, in case you didnt know, most politically driven shows dont try so hard to shoehorn action sequences. Thers a pretty big difference between boardroom talk, and boardroom talk with constant, horribly looking fights.
>>
>>15777282
Of course it's important. It started it all.
>>
>>15777298
Its important from a "historical" standpoint to argue with delusional fanboys who will tell you that having seen 95% of the material still doesnt qualify you to like an IP, not in regards to viewer experience.
>>
>>15777282
OP only seems interested in action sequences though so he shouldn't be watching Gundam anyhow.
Also you say force as if 0079's animation is truly that awful. Kemono Fruends is hugely popular despite having garbage animation.

So again, there is no reason to not either watch the original series or its film trilogy unless you're a lazy fuck stick.
>>
>>15777355
>OP only seems interested in action sequences though so he shouldn't be watching Gundam anyhow.
If thats the case then yes I agree, its the wrong show. Guess he can watch Zeta with all its forced fights.

>Also you say force as if 0079's animation is truly that awful
I mean its choppy as hell. Kememe and friends has awful animation but isnt really battle/action heavy so its not really important that the animation lacks. Also its smooth CGI and I have no clue how anyone can like those shitty animals.

>or its film trilogy
Thats assuming you dont kill yourself after the first movie, because that one is so insanely boring that you might very well lose the will to live.
>>
>>15776869
>It's old and boring
The franchise is literally 0079 regurgitated multiple times with slight variation.
If you didn't like 0079 you won't like Gundam
>>
>>15777402
>I mean its choppy as hell
How is that a bad thing?
>>
>>15777449
Last time I checked you want animation to be fluent, especially when its fast paced movements.
>>
>>15777456
Nah, that's just your opinion. Choppy animation is much more appealing.
>>
>>15776869
Gundam the Origin and Thunderbolt.

You are righ old gundam is fucking boring
>>
Well OP since im gonna assume it's the old animation you can't get into then watch 00 it's a decent starter with kickass mobile suits designs & good characters & it also looks pretty darn good
>>
File: 1501974740242.jpg (256KB, 829x746px) Image search: [Google]
1501974740242.jpg
256KB, 829x746px
>>15776869
>Gundam mobile.
Start with Gundam PC
>>
>>15777000
Fuck. Those trips of glorious truth. Despite my seething hatred for 0083, I can't question that.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.