[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this so much better than Gundam?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 8

File: SDF Macross.png (2MB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SDF Macross.png
2MB, 1440x1080px
Why is this so much better than Gundam?
>>
>liking cucks in space
>>
File: macross-51.jpg (222KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
macross-51.jpg
222KB, 1024x768px
>>15773781
Zentradi Antics
>>
Why does everything have to be compared to Gundam
>>
>>15773811
You're a dumbass, one of the main lessons of the show is "don't be a pussy who gets friendzoned".
>>
>>15773928
And yet the entire cast is pussies who get friendzoned or shot full of holes and think eating salad is more important. Enjoy being a worthless faggot your whole life
>>
I'm pretty early on in it. I haven't actually watched Gundam, just absorbed some parts of it from pop culture basically but I like the robot designs in Macross better.
>>
File: ep28_kaifun_drunk2.png (644KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
ep28_kaifun_drunk2.png
644KB, 720x540px
>>15773781
What was his master plan, /m/?
>>
>>15773781
It doesn't.
>>
>>15773982
Incest
>>
>>15773781
cause youre a moron

/thread
>>
Substantially less entries mean substantially less chances to fuck up. but then again when they fuck up, boy howdy.
>>
>>15773781

As someone who watched both and prefers Macross? I'd say its because SDF has a better old school science fiction story that plays with more interesting concepts.

Both tell stories about space wars, but Gundam never really develops a message or a twist. You tune in for more space war because you like watching space war unfold. The actual people involved in space war are pretty much secondary, what they want doesn't actually matter because in the end this is a story about giant robots blowing each other up. This was always going to end in a giant robot fight, because that's what you came here to see, and any pretension that the problem would be solved any other way is just to fill air time. If Gundam gets you to care about any of its characters that's cool, but its ultimately unnecessary.

SDF has a space war backdrop, but its not really about the space war. Indeed, its hard to even call it a 'war' given that Earth only really has one ship, and the bad guys don't even want to destroy it. SDF is really about the Zentradi themselves, which is why the show gets dramatically better the more screentime the Zentradi get as the show goes on. SDF is a story about the Zentradi, humans are just the POV faction for it.
Really, 'alien clones bred for war that have forgotten how to stop fighting get exposed to culture, become confused in ways that switch between hilarity and terror' could very easily have been a Heinlein story. It has that kind of scifi feel to it, because when Science Fiction meant more than just "is set in space". Between that and the Macross itself, a ramshackle starship made of tech that doesn't play well together and which is constantly finding new ways to brick itself that ends up having a small town inside it, and you end up with a combination of weirdness I can't get anywhere else.
>>
>>15774124

I think that last part is kind of important, now that I think about it. I can go and get my Gundam fix from half a dozen other shows, because being Gundam is easly. Generic war story + giant robots. Bam. Thats pretty much all Gundam is, until they decide to rehash the original series again and do another colony drop or make someone else a newtype.

I can't think of anything that would scratch my Macross itch that isn't Macross. For better or for worse, no one else does what Macross does. They might do a part of it, but they never do the whole package. I think the closest might be Eureka Seven, but the fact that is such a different show than Macross sort of proves my point.
>>
>>15773781
Because 0079 is much more conspicuous in showing that it's just a glorified toy commercial. While there's a story, it often gets side tracked to promote whatever new piece of plastic the toy makers are wanting to push like the G-Armor.
>>
>>15773781
If it's so much better, then why hasn't it ever seen an international release?
>>
>>15774211
It has.
Sorta.
>>
>>15773957
Miyatake and Kawamori are excellent mecha designers, that much can be said.
>>
>>15773781
I like the songs
>>
>>15773781
Because you like it more.

>>15773869
Because Gundam is the most popular mecha series out there. Ask any random on the street what they think of when you say 'mecha,' and they'll probably answer with Gundam if they're familiar with the term. Except for random oldheads that were really big on Voltron as kids.
>>
>>15774263
Don't forget about Transformers and/or Power Rangers. The average casual has absolutely shit taste.
>>
No Gundam type mecha
>>
>>15773781

literally the guy made this is a Tomino fanboy
>>
>>15774341
Why was Evangelion shit then?
>>
>>15773781
>Why is this so much better than Gundam?

You can't make such a general statement. Some Macross entries are definitely better than some Gundam shows and viceversa. But to say all Macross shows are better than all Gundam shows is just pure idiocy and it isn't even true to begin with.
>>
>>15774200
And Macross could only be made because it was pushing plastic too and appealing to the new market of people wanting military themed robots. Gundam was the first show to demonstrate that you could have writers do something different from the norm and have a commercial success (albeit a delayed one at first). This prompted the early 80s robot boom where a bunch of creator driven shows got made that allowed them to do things like Macross because as long as they moved plastic, toy companies would give them funding.
>>
>>15774341
>>15774801

/m/ has a real fucking problem with conflating age with quality.

The question wasn't 'which show is older', the question was 'why is this show better?'.

You can have an older show that ends up inspiring a bunch of shows that are all better than the original. Its not hard to do, especially if the original show did something new at the time, because later works have the chance to play with and refine that idea into a superior form.

Its like Oreos. The Oreo was not the first sandwich cookie, in fact is was a pretty blatant copy of an earlier sandwich cookie right down to the design and coloring. But due to a combination of marketing and a change in the sugar content of the filling, Oreos became a household name and I can't even fucking remember was the 'original' sandwich cookie company was called anymore. The original got outcompeted by the thing that copied it.
>>
>>15774905
Fuck off Evafaggot. I'm sick of seeing your shitposting here.
>>
Why do people like Pre Frontier It's not as if though I hate Pre frontier macross, there's just legitimately nothing interesting that it can offer me.
I just can't sit down and watch 50 episodes of extremely formulaic and objectively bad voice acting and writing with little to no hook besides "hey im watching old thing this is neat i am so patrician". I'm not enough of a masochist to subject myself to that and I don't care enough about the opinions of others online to try and gain their approval by pretending that I think Pre frontier macross is in any way actually better than any post frontier macross.
>>
>>15774993
This feels like some ancient pasta
>>
>>15773781

Because it wasn't written my Tomihack
>>
File: ar131673700207071.jpg (148KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
ar131673700207071.jpg
148KB, 500x500px
>>15774124
>>15774133
>>
>>15774905
He doesn't remember Hydrox
>>
>>15774905
>You can have an older show that ends up inspiring a bunch of shows that are all better than the original. Its not hard to do
Apparently it is since 0079 still holds up today not so much SDF Macross though
>>
>>15775173
>0079 still holds up today not so much SDF Macross though
kill yourself
>>
>>15774993

>man, why the fuck do people even like history and shit?
>its old and outdated and archaic, and completely worthless
>there's no lessons to be learned from it and there's no point in knowing your own ancestry
>fuck all that, we should all just be content with everything after today

You sound like a massive faggot.
>>
>>15775161
>Hydrox
God that's an awful name for a cookie.
>>
>>15773781
No annoying children running around the ship.
>>
>>15775173
Macross still holds up today. There's funky animation and repeating use of certain scenes, but the story itself that it's portraying is still interesting to watch.
>>
>>15776486
>Macross still holds up today
Not really
>>
>>15775941
It's a great name for a scouring powder, though. Or possibly a decepticon.
>>
>>15776495
I'm sorry you have such awful taste.
>>
>>15776516
My tastes are fine actually
>>
>>15776486
SDF holds up as well as Yamato i.e. not very well, yeah it has a lot of interesting ideas but they get lost is a sea of trends and tropes that definitely feel "of its time" than stuff that actually set trends and are still influential and before you say something stupid that Macross was a predecessor for the current idol boom in Japan there were already idol anime before SDF
>>
>>15776532
Not really
>>
>>15776636
Yes really
>>
>>15774801
>Macross could only be made because it was pushing plastic too

Ye, but not to the same degree as Gundam did. Macross toys were very limited compared to Gundam having only a handful of different models made by Takatoku before the rights being transferred over to Bandai. Gundam however had a much wider collection and allotted for more screen time to feature each one of them. Unfortunately, this became detrimental to the story and the basis of the criticisms about filler scenes and "villain of the week" pattern. The movie adaptation practically condemns the path taken by the show by cutting out much of the toy promotion with a more concise narrative. Compared to Macross, 0079 wasn't in the same league.
>>
>>15775941

There's a reason Oreos beat them out, yeah.
>>
>>15775139
>too dumb to refute anything or form a counter-argument
Keep posting images, I guess.
>>
>>15776709
>The movie adaptation practically condemns the path taken by the show by cutting out much of the toy promotion with a more concise narrative
Literally all it does is remove the G-Armor and condense some fights because there's less material to work with. Toyetic aspect of 0079 never hindered its storytelling in fact a lot of those episodes you deem as "filler" actually did well to development its extended case (something Macross has always been shit it) and why there's still arguments as to which is the more preferred version to view as. If any case the whole notion that an anime should be dismissed because its a vehicle to sell a product is an incredibly stupid statement especially mecha anime in the 80's where you lived or died depending on how much plastic you pushed.
>>
>>15774124
>Gundam never really develops a message
Your lack of comprehension is astounding.
>>15774200
Macross only got made because Gundam already broke the toy commercial mold. You should compare SDFM and Zeta if you're going to look at it like that. Macross was made in a time where it was already proven (by Gundam) that mecha shows with a serious story were marketable, Mobile Suit Gundam was not. Also, for the record, Mobile Suit Gundam began pre-production as a serious war story. Super Dimension Fortress Macross began pre-production as a Gundam parody.
>>
>>15776754
>Toyetic aspect of 0079 never hindered its storytelling

I dunno, the amount of of Aquatic MSs and the Mobile Armors towards the end were pretty bad.

That said you're right about there being very little filler in 0079. I thinkthere's only one or two episodes in the series that don't move the plot forward, even the infamous salt episode deos, even if it's only a little. I don't think it was any recap epsiodes either, which Macross does.
>>
>>15776811
>the amount of of Aquatic MSs and the Mobile Armors towards the end were pretty bad.
Well the Space arc in 0079is rushed due to its sudden cancellation so this is the only case where watching the last movie is the better experience, by then I was more or less absorbed into the story and characters so it didn't bother me much.

Yeah the TV series is very engaging even with the monster of the week setup the characters are good enough to trudge through it. Really both SDF and 0079 suffered from internal production problems with one being cut short and another being extended but they managed to still tell good stories despite all that.
>>
>>15776600
I don't understand how someone can say Macross doesn't hold up. The show is well-paced, entertaining as fuck and has a novel premise that still feels fresh today. I watched it for the first time last month and loved it.
>>
>>15776855
>The show is well-paced, entertaining as fuck and has a novel premise that still feels fresh today.
Cool horseshit bro
>>
File: 2017-07-30_04-34-06.jpg (492KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-30_04-34-06.jpg
492KB, 1280x720px
>>15773781
It's idolshit so that actually disqualifies it by default.
>>
>>15776874
Fascinating post, well done
>>
>>15776855
The generation that started watching anime in the late 90s/early 00s is a waste, few exceptions aside. They think that if there's no psychobabble and muh angsty main-chara in the show it's worthless. Engaging them is a waste of time.
You are quite right thouh.
>>
>>15776811
Hikaru's dream was the best recap episode ever, though. I'm firmly on the Gundam side of this debate, but that episode was six different kinds of awesome. Also "the infamous salt episode" was 90% Sayla and only 10% salt. Calling it "the salt episode" outs you as not having actually watched it. To put it in Macross terms, it would be like calling the episode where Kamujin and Lapramiz plan their Christmas attack "the booze episode" because Kamujin gets drunk.
>>
>>15776938
I thought that was the moeshit generation?
>>
>>15776938
>tfw I started watching anime in the mid to late 90s and started with Speed Racer
>tfw I like Eva as well as Macross and Ideon
>>
>>15776855
>I don't understand how someone can say Macross doesn't hold up.
Because it doesn't. Feels very much of its time with how its written hell it wouldn't even have came to be without the success of Gundam which inspired so many anime to this very day.
>The show is well-paced
The pacing is all over the fucking place hence what happens when you try to juggling three different plotlines with no relationship to one another at the same time, Max and Millia just met each other only to fall in love shortly later, characterization of the three leads changes depending on the episode hence why Lynn would jump between being an airheaded girl to just a bitch every other episode and of course we all know what came about in the second half. To SDF's credit all I can say about it is that it doesn't drag at all compared to most anime of that era but at that same token things aren't given much room to breathe or develop because its obvious that the people behind it weren't really confident of its success.
>and has a novel premise that still feels fresh today.
Its literally Gundam fanfiction and was following the trend of every scifi anime that came out in the 80's.
>>
>>15776964
I started watching anime with Voltron. Robotech, Akira, Appleseed (the old anime), Black Magic M-66, Dominion Tank Police, and Bubblegum Crisis all came before Eva for me. I did like Eva at the time, but felt really let down by the rebuilds and completely put off by the online fanbase. Same with Macross, really. The first couple of sequels were pretty good, but after a while I just didn't want to associate myself with the screaming hateboner for HG. SDFM isn't even my favorite of the RT component shows anymore, these days I lean much more towards MOSPEADA (subbed) than either RT or Macross.
Actually I'm primarily a Gundam fan these days. I'll probably rewatch MOSPEADA again at some point (but not before I finish VOTOMS), but I kind of doubt I'll ever bother rewatching either Macross or Eva.
>>
>>15773781

Fang of the Sun Dougram is better than both Gundam AND Macross.
>>
File: penn_jillette 2.jpg (56KB, 250x312px) Image search: [Google]
penn_jillette 2.jpg
56KB, 250x312px
>>15773781
>no salt episode
>>
>>15776754
>Literally all it does is remove the G-Armor

Objectively wrong.

The movies were conspicuously lacking the Gyan, Zakrello, Bigro, Braw-Bro, Adzam, and possibly others. Hell, the list would probably be even more if Tomino decided not to use the TV footage so extensively.
>>
>>15777007
Just started Votoms last night. Is it good or does it go dry?

Tip to anyone, don't start watching it at night. Had the screen brightness all the way down but the flashing in the beginning seriously felt like it could rival the epileptic pokemon episode when magnified by night vision.
>>
>>15779158
It going dry or not in the last two arcs depends on what you were expecting from it.

For me, the arcs themselves were interesting but I wanted more of the VOTOMS' first two arcs. That being said it's still pretty good.

And Chirico is one lovable motherfucker.
>>
>>15779184
By dry, I mean devoid of emotion, ulterior motives, basically depth. From the looks of the first episode, I'm hoping it is a good thriller while staying in the realms of realistic space maneuvering. Would not be the first series to let me down, though. *cough* Aldnoah.Zero *cough*
>>
File: claudia.jpg (20KB, 225x350px) Image search: [Google]
claudia.jpg
20KB, 225x350px
>tfw best girl suffers the most out of the whole cast
>>
Macross was OK.
Robotech though? That's one I wish would get buried.
HG added nothing positive to the series, and has thrown their weight around preventing any western releases outside of their first show, including the SRW games.
>>
>>15778093
Cool horseshit bro
>>
Why are they still using Temujin/Khyron's gene-seed as of Frontier if he literally can't stop betraying dudes?
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.