[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

File: hOmSE_d.jpg (55KB, 640x394px) Image search: [Google]
hOmSE_d.jpg
55KB, 640x394px
What went wrong?
>>
>>15771940
Space Battleship Yamato was made for normie young boys in the 1970s
Yamato 2199 was made for otaku, who have terrible taste and love being pandered to, in the 2010s
>>
>>15771940
>What went wrong?

Nothing wrong at all.
Yamato 2199 is a prime example of how to do a modern version of a classic anime that retains the quintessence of the original.
If only Sunrise could learn from the team/studio that made 2199.
>>
>>15771940
I liked it, Good space battles, very retro ships and tech, not a bad pace, cute girls withou being the focus, good variety of people, based admiral. Enjoyable, 7.5/10 better than the majority of crap they are pumping those days.
>>
Nothing?
>>
So how's 2202
>>
>>15772028
Funnily enough I've heard fans of the original stuff from the 70's really like it and the 2199 fans hate it.
>>
>>15772087
subs when
>>
>>15772087
A lot of the new characters get shafted
>>
File: yamato-3.png.jpg (120KB, 460x650px) Image search: [Google]
yamato-3.png.jpg
120KB, 460x650px
>>15772087
Is because the new writer, Fukui, is simply shoving the 2199 original characters aside so he can tell his own story with the original serie characters. Like it or not, the original 2199 characters are dear to the new fans, as they have a strong presence in the last serie. Also, I really don't know if the whole "the old fans are liking it" is trustworthy, as the only source for that is some 2chan comments.

Fukui said in a interview that he wanted to turn Yamato in a big hit like the old times. "Make Yamato great again", if you like. Basically he said that the 2199 and the renew of interess in the series is a good start, but not good enough because it pales in comparison with its popularity and number of fans back in the day of "Farewell", in the late 70's and early 80's. Personally, I think he is being megalomaniac and setting the bar a little too high.

Anyway, is too soon to say how the series will turn out in the end. We are only one movie/two episodes in, yet.

>>15772122
The first two episodes are in nyaa.
>>
>>15772166

Im not sure you even can make it as popular as it used to be. A lot of it's popularity was very much a result of it's era
>>
>>15771940
I'm a huge fan of the original and I think they did fine with this remake. It's for a different audience and I understand that. It could've been so bad, but it wasn't.
>>
>>15771940
>What went wrong?
Green man refusing to recognize he lost.
>What went wrong?
Not using Orange 3dcg
>What went wrong?
Only 26 episodes.

Other than that, it's very good, and I liked it a ton. Looking forward to more of 2202.
>>
>>15771985
THIS.
>>
>>15772028
Too soon to say.
>>
>>15771940
I dunno what went wrong. But getting rid of Lazy was certainly a step into the right direction. That hack fooled so many people in the past pretending to be the only creative force behind the original Yamato. Thank God he can't touch the franchise ever again.
>>
>>15771940
Nothing. Just because you think fanservice is bad doesnt mean it is. The only reason the original didnt have fanservice was because the art was too bad to sell it. Hell, they literally have a Yuki pantishot within the first 2 episodes, not even 2199 pulled shit like this, so claiming that 2199 did something that the original never would have is just pants on head retarded. The show improves upon almost everything.

>>15772028
I think that 2199 is the pinnacle of the medium and after having watched 6 episodes of 2202 I thinkthat its OK, but nothing special. Then again, I probably thought the same about 2199 after only 6 episodes so theres plenty of room for improvement. The new bad guy is just a million times less charismatic than Dessler and I simply cant deal with the fact that Arararararagi is a good guy. Theres also too much fighting, but thats probably just me.

>>15772166
>I think he is being megalomaniac and setting the bar a little too high
Of course he is. The original only got as popular as it was because of the limited amount of competition. Yamato has shit loads of issues that 2199 mostly got rid of. Its an improved version of the original series that gets rid of most of its pacing problems, particularly by actually making the last couple episodes not feel like a rushjob. Also: Back then the genre had way more appeal to people. Anime werent big so any scifi show was destined to explode in regards to viewership. Modern audiences doesnt really care for scifi, they have other stuff they can watch. Had you released Yamato in the 90s then the show wouldnt even have been remotely as popular as it was.
>>
>>15771940
Calling it Star Blazers 2199 for the western release and charging almost $200 for the whole thing.
>>
Why do people like Old Yamato It's not as if though I hate old Yamato, there's just legitimately nothing interesting that it can offer me.
I just can't sit down and watch 50 episodes of extremely formulaic and objectively bad acting and writing with little to no hook besides "hey im watching old thing this is neat i am so patrician". I'm not enough of a masochist to subject myself to that and I don't care enough about the opinions of others online to try and gain their approval by pretending that I think Old Yamato is in any way actually better than any new Yamato.
>>
>>15775012
Since when is this structure of copypasta is circulating?
>>
>>15775012
>hey im watching old thing this is neat i am so patrician
Theres your answer. People try very hard to factor in the fact that its old. They also discredit 2199 for its fanservice when the original Yamato basically had some as well. Everytime someone point out 2199s girls I wonder if said person even watched the original. This sort of pandering has always been part of the series, only difference between the two is that the art in the 70s/80s was so bad that it could never possibly be sexually attracting. I mean lets be real, who the hell is gonna jerk off to pic related? Who even can? The art guaranteed that it would be seen as quirky, but the studio didnt choose for the art to look like this. It simply was the best they could do at the time.
>>
>>15775022
There has been a guy raging about Showa Kamen Rider shows and then in the Ultraman general. Suddenly it became a copypasta for some reason.
>>
>>15775022
It's a copypasta
>>
>>15775030
It's just a joke. It's not meant to look sexy, it's supposed to be comedy.
>Analyzer flips Yuki's skirt and she gets mad
Does that sound like titillation or Japanese humor?
>>
>>15775508
>its a joke and part of the IP thats why its not considered fanservice haha
Nice copout. The point is that the people who claim that this sort of pandering was added by Xebec suffer from mental retardation. The only reason the pic I linked is "funny and not pandering" is because the art doesnt allow to get hard over it. Just because something is supposed to have comedic value doesnt mean that it cant be fanservice at the same time. Shows like Keijo and Love-Ru are literally that, comedy plus fanservice and the same point can be made for most CGDCT. This "quirky" sexualization was a thing in the original and is a thing in the remade version of the show, so claiming that only the latter is guilty of it (because the characters actually look hot) makes no sense whatsoever.
>>
Fuck off nostalgiafags. It's the same as the original.
>>
Xebec didn't add fanservice
>>
>>15775565
>It's the same as the original.
Learn to read. Its vastly superior in almost every way imaginable.

>>15775567
Wasnt claimed either. I simply said that pandering was present in the original and isnt something that Xebec suddenly added out of the blue, no more no less.
>>
>>15771940
Susumu and Okita became bff in no time. The whole gradual change of Susumu's character and how he starts to understand stoic grandpa was resolved without grace so they had more time to deploy waifus.
Deslar's motivations are shit. He's just a cuck who cannot accept rejection. In the original he starts as an asshole but is eventually shown to be an honorable enemy who is trying to save his people.
Likewise, all of Susumu's pondering about the nature of war and how different Earthlings were than the Gamillans, despite the aliens being the ones who attacked, is thrown to the toilet. And those monologues, together with those about love and his need for Yuki were among the best things that the original series had.

That being said, it was a really entertaining. It's not a bad anime, but nowhere near as excellent as the original was, and, of course, nowhere near as influential as the original was (although you can't fault it for that, things changed a lot in the last 4 decades).
>>
>>15776895
>Deslar's motivations are shit. He's just a cuck who cannot accept rejection. In the original he starts as an asshole but is eventually shown to be an honorable enemy who is trying to save his people.
Personally I think this is my biggest issue with 2199. I liked the fact that they expanded on Gamillan society, but Deslar really suffered for it. One of my biggest hopes for 2202 is that Deslar is returned to the sort of character he is in the original series.
>>
>>15776895
I do agree that Dessler motivations in 2199 are stupid and a downgrade if compared to the original. But I can accept it. Is not like Izubuchi&Co really invented Dessler love/obsession for Starsha out of the blue. In the New Voyage he pretty much sacrifice the majority of his few last mans, and almost himself, for her sake. In 2199 he is used as spacegoat of the series for the sake of the rest of the Gamillans, like "Look, the evil crazy dictator is to blame, not the common blue folks". They even gives him his own SS for that matter. Could there have been better ways to have done that, but anyways.

I also agree that 2199 Kodai and Okita relationship build ended more rushed, obviously to give more time for the new cast. But, man, I personally really liked 2199 Kodai. He is believable as a military protagonist and future commander, at least to me; level headed, mostly reserved but still youthful. Far away from the two extremes flavors that we generally get in /m/ animes: autistic stoic or loud hot blooded.

I also have a personal grudge against that monologue soon after the battle of Gamilla in the original series. Is a unnecessary and cheaply made moral excuse, by both Kodai and the serie creators. It would have been better if they only showed the characters silently, admiring shocked the destruction that they made.
>>
>>15771940
>What went wrong?
It is a remake of a good show and thus utterly withhout worth.
>>
>>15776895
>Susumu and Okita became bff in no time.
Their relationship was always different from the get-go and 2199s development makes a million times more sense. Susumu wasnt just chosen because of his ability, he was chosen because hes the brother of who Okita basically considered to be his own son. Them being friendly with eachother makes a million times more sense, especially considering how early Susumu proves his ability. He wasnt picked out of the blue but specifically for who he is related to. You dont treat someone like that like all other crewmembers. Susumu is also a way better character overall in 2199, a character who actually fits his position as a commanding officer.

>Deslar's motivations are shit. He's just a cuck who cannot accept rejection.
Hes a person who believes that their "two societies" joining will bring his own people glory and prosperity. Which is a completely reasonable approach if you have the sort of mindset he does. Sacrificing a city/planet if it means to assure the future of your people is a reasonable thing to do. His love and commitment to Starsha is nothing new either, it just received a higher priority in 2199 which isnt strictly speaking bad. It just gives him another reason to do the things he does. The fact that you use the term "cuck" also already completely disqualifies you from any serious debate since Starsha didnt even have a person to cuck him with.

His character makes more sense in general considering that hes the beloved dictator. To be loved you need to be charistmatic, chivalric, charming and be cocky enough to be admired. 2199 Dessler fits that so much better than the original one. There is legitimate reason for his people and his staff to admire him. Being reasonable does not lead to admiration, great ideals and visions do.

Honestly, all I get from this post is your hatred for the new characters, who happen to be attractive females.
>>
>>15771940
Literally nothing. Its a great show and if you hate it you've outed yourself as a bitter misanthrope
>>
>>15771940
Nothing?
>>
>>15775005
>Calling it Star Blazers 2199

The name change is fine. So long as the content remains the same then that's just a petty weaboo nag. Not calling the show Super WW2 Japan Boner saves the planet is the smart move in terms of marketing.

>and charging almost $200 for the whole thing.

This however is a legitimate gripe. Those kind of prices weren't cool two decades ago
>>
File: 12610.jpg (16KB, 400x262px) Image search: [Google]
12610.jpg
16KB, 400x262px
>>15771940
What went wrong?
>>
>>15771940
They fucked up the most important battle in the damn series.

They even specifically pointed out when they started that they need to get it right. And they just... re-wrote the whole thing.
>>
>>15780993
Sup coop
>>
>>15781001
Sup ezhno
>>
There's absolutely no drama at all. The neo yamato characters are written like they were western characters. Who gives a shit about the hyper space combat. It's just a CGI shot. There are a few nice fan service things but there's no Yamato Spirit!
>>
>>15780963

>Not calling the show Super WW2 Japan Boner saves the planet is the smart move in terms of marketing.

I might agree (by 2010, how many Americans would even give a shit? The ship itself is still called "Japan boner" in that case)--but how much marketing have they actually done in the US?
>>
>>15784585
>but how much marketing have they actually done in the US?
I think that this article by Michael Toole can better answer your question.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.cc/the-mike-toole-show/2017-07-09/.118601
>>
>>15784768

I'd heard this summed up on forums, but the article was still informative, thank you.

(And about as un-encouraging as I remembered.)
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.