[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It's been a year. Can we finally admit that it was pretty

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 17

File: Shin_Godzilla_US_poster.jpg (12KB, 255x391px) Image search: [Google]
Shin_Godzilla_US_poster.jpg
12KB, 255x391px
It's been a year. Can we finally admit that it was pretty fucking bad?
>inb4 Evafags who have been shitting up the board recently
>>
File: 1502501126928.gif (2MB, 500x625px) Image search: [Google]
1502501126928.gif
2MB, 500x625px
here we go again
>>
>>15771562
>It's been a year. Can we finally admit that it was pretty fucking bad?

Shin Gozilla isn't fucking bad, it's a mediocre film.
Except for 10-15 minutes where the action scenes look decent (for a Japanese movie), the rest is very underwhelming.
>>
>>15771562
What did you dislike about it?
>>
File: 1418018815999.jpg (1MB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1418018815999.jpg
1MB, 1000x1000px
Shin was a good monster movie, but a terrible Godzilla movie.
Its has as much in common with the rest of the Godzilla franchise as Emmerichs flick.

>has various evolution-stages like a Pokemon
>can shoot laser-beams outta his asshole
>uses harden
>grows spooky skeletons outta his tail

yeah... nice OC there Anno
>>
>>15771562
I actually saw it for the first time last thursday, in a cinema and everything.

You're absolutely wrong, this was fantastic and quite possibly my favourite Godzilla film.
>>
>>15771791
It's quite obvious that this is a bait thread, don't bother.
>>
>>15771806
Yes, but I want to talk about it because I really did enjoy it and I don't have any friends who are into this stuff.
>>
The main problem I have with Shin is that those twiggy-ass arms are shit for grappling, meaning that outside of his breath attack he's not actually good at fighting other kaiju. Plus, he didn't actually show any personality, all he did was walk around, get shot at and shit out some beams.

As >>15771756 said, it's a good monster movie, but terrible for Godzilla standards.
>>
File: 18172872189211.jpg (249KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
18172872189211.jpg
249KB, 1280x960px
>>15771756
>but a terrible Godzilla movie
Literally a reimagining of Gojira with the cast from NGE. Why does having new abilities disqualify this interpretation from being Godzilla? And how are these much different than variations of things like Godzillasaurus and the atomic pulse?
>>
File: 1502123977850.jpg (120KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
1502123977850.jpg
120KB, 900x506px
The people who dislike Shin Godzilla are the type who unironically either love Destroy All Monsters or Godzilla VS Destoroyah.
>>
>>15771821
I loved Shin, Destroy all Monster and Vs Destroyah is among my favorite Heisei films, which isn't that much of an achievement.
>>
>>15771832
You're one of the few exceptions.
>>
>>15771756
Shut the fuck up. Who gives a shit about "muh back lasers don't fit into my definition of a godziller?" What a waste of a post.
>>
>>15771821
>unironically hatin on Showa-Goji

kys
>>
>>15771892
Shut the fuck up. DAM is a boring popcorn flick and is easily the worst Godzilla film Honda directed. Even Godzilla's Revenge has better characters and character moments. Nobody gives a shit about the SY-3 captain.
>>
File: 1468740440-364306524_l.jpg (387KB, 702x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1468740440-364306524_l.jpg
387KB, 702x1024px
>>15771857
>muh definition

Well, 28 movies kinda defined what Godzilla is and whats not.

You cant make a movie about a soviet spy starring a wrinkly old Sean Connery and call that James Bond.
And you cant make movie about a monster with a completely new and random powerset and call that Godzilla.

Alterations are fine to keep it fresh, but less is more... whats the point of a Godzilla movie that doesnt share any resemblance to the franchise anymore?
>>
>>15771927
Not him, but you must have miss the point of the previous 28 Godzilla's movies you pretend to have watched if you think all it take to make a Godzilla films is to make a big lizard spit fire.

I was convinced you were trying to bait, but you seem serious.
>>
>>15771902
>popcorn flick

Its a movie about guys in rubber-suits destorying cities, its supposed to be a popcorn flick!
If expect anything more from a Godzilla movie, then you're looking at the wrong franchise.
>>
>>15771942
Amerisharts, everyone.
>>
>>15771927
>And you cant make movie about a monster with a completely new and random powerset and call that Godzilla

All of Shins abilities are expansions of his old ones. The beams are just a better nuclear pulse, the evolutions are a crazy version of his regeneration adapting, and the him being a nuclear reactor and that flaw being exploited is literally what the Heisei series introduced. You're a damn fool if you don't realize how it connects to some of the films and flicks in the series.
The design and movie is literally an updated 54, and the movie shares some of the same themes as Ishiro Honda's films. "no resemblance" my fucking ass.
>>
>>15771902
>DAM is a boring popcorn flick and is easily the worst Godzilla film Honda directed. Even Godzilla's Revenge has better characters and character moments.
Actually, yes. Terror of MechaGodzilla is severely flawed, though it's interesting. Godzilla's Revenge has some serious potential to be of one the more meaningful entries in the series, however, it was marred by Toho's decision to pander to the youngest audiences possible and save money. Still the human story is touching.

DAM is a dull rehash of Monster Zero with forgettable characters and most of its monsters making little more than a cameo. Its famous climax was basically a gang rape in which Ghidorah never had a chance and it was further weakened by the anticlimactic fire dragon stuff coming after it.
>>
>>15771942
You're the reason nobody likes the Western fanbase. "It's inherently dumb it's impossible for it to be more than a popcorn flick" fuck off with this dismissive attitude.
>>
File: goji+snap+zoom.gif (916KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
goji+snap+zoom.gif
916KB, 320x180px
>>15771948
>muh allegory for nuclear weapons

I bet you enjoy comicbooks by Alan Moore too.
>>
>>15771965
>implying that's the only theme in the series

>>>/co/
>>
>>15771954
>The beams are just a better nuclear pulse
>the evolutions are a crazy version of his regeneration adapting

Thats like saying Batman using an axe to behead his enemies is just a better Batarang and his ability to fly is just a crazy version of his grappling hook.
>>
>>15771978
Yeah no, it's nowhere near a similar leap like that.
>>
>>15771981
Grasping at straws like that, it kinda is.
>>
>>15771990
No it's not. Batman going from a batarang to an axe is distinctly un-batman like. Godzilla shooting a beam from his spines, the same spines which have always had a connection to his atomic breath, is nowhere near as similar.
>>
>>15772009
what if the axe was basically just a giant sharp batarang on a stick?
>>
2014 was better.
>>
>>15772019
I'm sure the Batman fans wouldn't spazz out over it because Batman has historically already had different versions of the characters. Maybe western Godzilla fans could learn something from them.
>>
>>15772029
dude following a bland soldier around in one of the most safest, blandest, corporate made flicks in the series lmao
>>
>>15771954
>The beams are just a better nuclear pulse, the evolutions are a crazy version of his regeneration adapting,

If it ain't broken, dont fix it. The new powers were quite un-Godzilla like if you look at the franchise as a whole.

Focused beams are more a Gigan thing, shooting beams at various directions is a Ghidorah thing.
And evolutions are mostly associated with Hedorah or Destroyah.
>>
>>15772031
They spazzed out a lot about Batman v Superman, because he gunned down a few criminals.
>>
>>15772039
dude, bureaucracy lmao.

your point?
>>
>>15771562
>not muh godzilla, the thread
you guys are fucking retards
>>
>>15772046
Which goes against Batman's entire theme that's been ingrained to audiences for decades. Nothing Shin Godzilla does contradicts one of the franchise's biggest and most recurring theme.

>>15772044
Who cares if the beams were focused or if the back lasers went everywhere? They're a different take on already established abilities. The vast majority of people don't give a shit about some tiny ability change that bears resemblance to other monsters.
>>
>>15772053
A movie which makes a satire out of bureaucracy to criticise it is far more better than a popcorn flick which tries to be the nexf Jaws despite being thematically empty.

>>15772066
Do you really expect more from western Godzilla fans?
>>
File: Shin Gojira.jpg (468KB, 1280x1828px) Image search: [Google]
Shin Gojira.jpg
468KB, 1280x1828px
>>15772053
Bureaucracy in and of itself isn't bad. Depends on the execution. In this case of Shin Godzilla it was super effective. Primarily only the "muh godzilla can only be stupid action" crowd disagrees and they should be rightfully ignored.

Likewise, a personal story isn't necessarily bad. However, the main and, often times only, character of Godzilla 2014 was irredeemably uninteresting and therefore a crippling issues for the film. Coupled with excessive cutaways and a deplorable second act, it made for at best a mediocre film.
>>
>>15771963
This is actually probably the best Godzilla we've had since '84 in terms of plot depth.
>>
The fact that some fans themselves dismiss the Godzilla movies or some interpretations of it over silly things like preconceived notions or "not muh godzilla" is why they and their favorite flicks will never be taken seriously.
>>
File: GMK.jpg (375KB, 1280x1831px) Image search: [Google]
GMK.jpg
375KB, 1280x1831px
>>15772080
>probably the best Godzilla we've had since '84 in terms of plot depth
gonna have to stop you there
>>
>>15771756
>Its has as much in common with the rest of the Godzilla franchise as Emmerichs flick.
Are you on drugs? Have you just never seen a Godzilla movie?
Shin Godzilla was absolutely standard in most respect. Godzilla shows up, and then people in board rooms talk a bunch. Then we have some destruction scenes, some more talking scenes, some army guys being totally innefectual as your mid-movie action sequence, more talking, more destruction with godzilla demonstrating he's an even bigger threat than people thought before, more talking, and then some goofy science solution. The only deviation from the norm was that the problem was solved by the guy who says fuck japanese social norms assembling a crack team of nerds instead of the politicians getting some scientists who just do the thing in the nick of time with nippon banzai diligence and yamato spirit.
>>
>>15772093
Yeah GMK is way better than 84. It has a dumb inconsistent tone amd awful CGI effects but it alongside Biollante and King Ghidorah are the only decent Godzilla films after Godzilla vs Hedorah besides Shin.
>>
Godzilla has always been shit
>>
>>15772102
b-b-but my back lazers?! NOT MY GODZILLA! BATMAN COMPARISONS!
>>
>>15772105
>King Ghidorah
I'd recommend Godzilla 2000 before Vs King Ghidorah. The former has the more compelling human element imo.
>>
friendly reminder that Final Wars was the last good Kaijukino

Shin a shit
>>
File: 1499756438772.jpg (175KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
1499756438772.jpg
175KB, 1000x750px
>>15772205

> As the only Toho production to shoot in non-Asian territories, Kitamura was handed $20 million to complete the final war. It was the most expensive Toho film to date—And it was largely squandered. The massive budget allowed four production teams to work on the film: Live action (dramatic scenes with actors), location shooting (overseas) and two effects units.

> Eiichi Asada proved to be a competent, perhaps even masterful craftsman with Godzilla: Tokyo SOS. However, he would be given little room for improvement in Final Wars. With much of the budget increase split into different teams, particularly the expensive costs for overseas shooting, Asada would be fighting to merely complete his material.

> The film made its world premiere at Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Los Angeles, California, November 29th, 2004. Immediately after, the dream was over. Critical reaction was largely negative and fan reaction wasn't much better. Soon it would have to contend with Japanese audiences and the result wouldn't be in Toho's favor.

> After all the noise Toho and Tomiyama had drummed up for Godzilla's grand exit, Godzilla: Final Wars ended with a whimper. The film was crushed by Hayao Miyazaki's Howl's Moving Castle and became the Millennium series' biggest flop. Pulling in barely more than half of its budget, Godzilla: Final Wars only sold one million tickets--It remains the third least attended Godzilla movie in history, only beating Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973) by a mere 20,000 tickets. Although Toho was hopeful that an American theatrical release might inflate that number, an agreement could not be met.
>>
>>15772088
That's autistic fanbases for you. Harping on details and wanting to be fed the same tripe over and over regardless of how stale it might be. Reminds me of when some Transformers fanboys threw a fit over the robots firing bullets too instead of just pew-pew lasers, as if that were some integral part of the brand.

I may not think that Shin was as fantastic as some say, but I welcomed seeing Godzilla do new stuff that, like some other anons said, were more or less extensions or variations of older abilities.
>>
To be honest, as a complete novice to the Godzilla franchise, it really didn't whet my appetite for the rest of the movies. One of my friends I went to see it with is a pretty big fan of the franchise and even he conceded that the movie was boring as all hell. It's just an hour and a half of Japanese politicians considering the political, environmental and public repercussions of shooting the big lizard and the one time the politicians actually decide to do it it is (as is to be expected) completely ineffectual. The only entertaining part of the film was them dropping shittons of buildings on Godzilla.
>>
I just found Shin kinda boring.
It was all boring.
I couldn't get myself wrapped into it.
>>
File: tumblr_orw3h17XTu1w1hrilo1_250.gif (428KB, 200x183px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_orw3h17XTu1w1hrilo1_250.gif
428KB, 200x183px
>>15772264
>>15772283
I thought the movie was really interesting.
>>
>>15772264
I've been a big fan of the franchise, I've seen every Godzilla film several times and I loved Shin. I don't get what you think is boring.
>>
>>15772283

Godzilla movies tend to be boring if there is no other monster for him to fight for most of the film.

In before '54 defense force
>>
File: huh.jpg (43KB, 420x389px) Image search: [Google]
huh.jpg
43KB, 420x389px
From most of the complaints I've seen it seems like there is just a niche of Godzilla fans who will reject anything that isn't camp or action. That's what they're here for. Criticisms aren't about how Shin Godzilla it did what it did. It's about what it's not. Not enough monsters and city destruction. Many of these same people likely don't care much for Gojira.

The complaints about boring characters really confuses me as the Heisei movies and G14 are the worst offenders in this regard. Rando and the rest are among the most engaging characters in the genre. Plus Godzilla gets almost eighteen minutes of screen time in Shin Godzilla.
>>
>>15772264
that's pretty much what godzilla movies are like. At least this one had the balls to have its message be "these arguing do nothing politicians are just assholes trying to pass responsibilities on to others", the other ones play the endless talking scenes completely straight, like they're totally justified sitting around debating the merits of whether or not to blow up the giant monster that's demolishing tokyo
>>
>>15772556
Sweet Jesus, if every movie is comprised of 3/4s 'should we blow up the big monster, no this is bad we should look at other methods of dealing with the big monster' and 1/4 kaiju monster stampeding through the country wrecking shit then frankly I'd rather have nothing to do with the franchise. Said friend mentioned that Godzilla vs Biolante is really good but now I'm just imagining how the politics of deciding which big monster Japan should back and frankly, that just sounds like a really fucking boring premise.
>>
>>15772625
The anon you're responding to is wrong. No movie has politicians uselessly talks about whether or not they should bomb a monster.
>>
>>15772418
>Plus Godzilla gets almost eighteen minutes of screen time in Shin Godzilla.

And they didnt do much with it, Godzilla was mostly just standing or sleeping there.
Its not about the amount, but the quality of the screentime.

GMK and Final Wars had around 17 minutes of screentime, but it feels you got much more bang for the buck.
>>
>>15772224
Oh look it's another retard who thinks movies only make money during their theatrical release. You realize the movie has made back its budget and made a profit from DVD sales by now, right?

And why does popularity matter, anyway? You quote Howl's Moving Castle as 'defeating' it yet that movie was steaming garbage. Popularity is not an indicator of quality, you little shit.
>>
>>15772556

Confirmed for never having seen a Godzilla movie
>>
>>15772721
Shut the fuck up faggot. Final Wars was a horrible financial and critical disaster, not even Heisei or Millennium fags like it. Nobody buys DVDs or Blu Rays in Japan so they probably barely made the budget back a couple of years ago. Distributors in the West probably got half of the money from their sales. Howl's Moving Castle is a far better film, faggot ass motherfucker.
>>
>>15772713
Final Wars barely has Godzilla in it, people shat on it when it came out because for a 50th anniversary film Godzilla was barely in it. Besides, Shin Godzilla absolutely tanking military assaults and destroying Tokyo while being framed with visually engaging cinematography is far better than what happened in GMK or Final Wars.
>>
File: 1502219615587.png (130KB, 377x271px) Image search: [Google]
1502219615587.png
130KB, 377x271px
>>15772721
>Oh look it's another retard who thinks movies only make money during their theatrical release.
Never suggested what you claimed. Calm your jimmies. Theatrical performance was only one of the points raised. However, the fact that it bombed this hard is telling. It's not like Final Wars didn't have an extensive promotional campaign. So lack of exposure or awareness isn't an excuse. Have good movies have failed to make an impression on box office? Absolutely. Yet that takes it to the next point. It was also critically scathed and Toho lost the American distribution deal it seemed to have in place afterwards. Nobody cared about this movie and it quickly vanished off the radar. Kitamura's career suffered for it too.

> You realize the movie has made back its budget and made a profit from DVD sales by now, right?
Show some numbers.

> You quote Howl's Moving Castle as 'defeating' it yet that movie was steaming garbage. Popularity is not an indicator of quality, you little shit.

Not saying Howl's Moving Castle is a cinematic masterpiece, though, without a doubt, it is the better of the two films in question. No competition whatsoever. Final Wars is exactly what Kitamura set out to make: junk.

> Popularity is not an indicator of quality, you little shit.
No disagreement here.
>>
>>15772625
Oh the ones where Godzilla fights another monster usually aren't so full of the boring talking scenes. They're usually just dumb.
>>
>>15772790
Go back to bed Anno
>>
>>15772768
You're pathetic. Howl's Bowel Movement was a massive turd and you have shit taste. Go suck Miyazaki's cock. Call me a faggot 20 more times and maybe your point will have some validity.
>>
>>15772713
>And they didnt do much with it, Godzilla was mostly just standing or sleeping there.
Now you and I both know that isn't the case. Shin Godzilla makes great use of its titular character. Every set-piece is worthwhile and memorable. Wonderfully shot and edited. And it has one of the better balances of monster/human elements in the series.
>>
>>15772800
If you honestly think any Ghibli movie is better than any Godzilla movie you just flat out don't belong on this board. Go back to /a/, hipster faggot.
>>
>>15772822
>being this much of a contrarian
>>
>>15772831
>If you honestly think any Ghibli movie is better than any Godzilla movie
You must be a troll. But I'll humor you. You're telling me that Ryuhei Kitamura is a better filmmaker than Hayao Miyazaki? Like sit there and let the bread bake for a moment before you respond to this.
>>
>>15772867
Kitamuras flicks are lit as fuck.
Miyamoto is basically babbys first anime.
>>
File: 1496875617683.png (120KB, 434x400px) Image search: [Google]
1496875617683.png
120KB, 434x400px
>>15772879
> it's popular therefore i hate it
List some solid reasons why Final Wars is a legitimately good film and better than Miyazaki. Otherwise stop wasting everyone's time with this charade.
>>
>>15772879
Kitamura: dude matrix lmao im a westaboo
Miyazaki: fun fantasy films that get everybody engaged in otherworldly characters and stories
>>
File: Godzilla.jp_-_Chainsaw_Gigan.jpg (78KB, 594x594px) Image search: [Google]
Godzilla.jp_-_Chainsaw_Gigan.jpg
78KB, 594x594px
>>15772975
>List some solid reasons why Final Wars is a legitimately good film and better than Miyazaki.

THIS FUCKER RIGHT HERE!
>>
>>15771562
My normie friends liked it and we saw it in theaters. Its not a bad movie. Some of the CGI was awefull but thats about it.
>>
>>15771562
I thought it was pretty gud.

it doesn't have the same problem as Evangelion where the kaiji/super robot stuff clashes with the psychological parts and makes a mess of a story, Shin Goji was just a great Godzilla movie with Anno's excellent directing skills.
>>
Konjirra isn't /m/
>>
>>15771927
The original Ghostbusters wasn't all that great. Just saying.
>>
>>15776583

True, the original Ghostbusters were campy trash. They just got gud with the Reitman movies.

Same with Godzilla, who found its voice years later with the subsequent movies.
>>
>>15771791
was yesterday for me, just came out in the UK, and i agree with you wholeheartedly
>>
>>15776583
I hope you're talking about that really old goofy thing called ghost busters.
>>
Fuck, this movie was good. Not without faults, but that can be said for all of them. Really good shit.
>>
The 2nd half really drags.
>>
>>15771813
>The main problem I have with Shin is that those twiggy-ass arms are shit for grappling, meaning that outside of his breath attack he's not actually good at fighting other kaiju.
I have the same complaint about the Heisei movies you fuckboys go on and go on about
Beamspam = shitty boring fights
>>
>>15772831
>liking Ghibli
>is Hipster
kek
>>
>>15776860
Except the campy trash ghost busters are completely unrelated to the Reitman movies
>>
>>15771562
>evafags
>liking Shin
Pick one. If it's not 4.0 then they will tear it apart.
>>
>>15778182
>evafags
>liking rebuild
Please
>>
>>15772105
*cough* Kiryu Saga *cough* Mothra vs Godzilla *cough* Gigan *cough*
>>
>>15778129
Translation: Kong, Ziller, Gigan, Varan, Anguirus, and Rodan are the best Kaiju.
>>
>>15772205
that's the one where the good guys all dressed up as nazis right?
>>
>>15772205
Friendly reminder that a kaiju that fucking Maguma could obliterate took up the entirety of one of the first few scenes of the movie. Manda is a pathetic shit; all he can do is constrict his enemies.
>>
>>15771639
>Shin Gozilla isn't fucking bad, it's a mediocre film.
It's a terrible film, like that pile of shit Dr. Strangelove.
>>
I took my girl and a friend to see this in London the other day, but I'd already seen it twice before that.

I used to be big into Godzilla as a teen; I enjoyed the original more than any others and liked VS King Kong because of its ridiculousness. But I was never under the impression that Godzilla was either a monster or a franchise to be taken seriously or to convey a message.

Shin Godzilla changed that. Much like It Follows, I had an experience when watching it that made me mentally leave myself and enter a state where I thought of contingency plans; how to save myself, what to do. I can totally understand why westerners wouldn't "get" or enjoy watching Japanese bureaucrats fucking it up, but that is kind of the fucking point the story is trying to make; if you don't want to know what the story is about, don't watch the movie, or at the very least, don't complain that you weren't following. We have all this diversity shit and you can't even bring yourself to watch an all-Japanese cast because they speak a funny language? Grow up.

Shin Godzilla is far and away the best Godzilla iteration because it's not like any other Godzilla; it takes a kiddy dinosaur "much nukes" and makes it Alien-level scary, with a Nolan-level of realism.

Anno is a good director and his style, whilst somewhat of a one-trick pony, is great. However, he is shit at writing stories. Like, really bad. Corollary to this, Godzilla is an interesting concept with no consistent direction or format. Putting the two together is a perfect result because it plies Anno away from his shitty depression-inspired psychobabble and forces Godzilla to be a formal, stylish property for once. It even ends on a perfect note, with multiple threads not untied, but dangling as bait for your brain to decide what you think they imply.
>>
>>15782398
This
Like wtf was anybody even trying to take that movie seriously other than James Earl Jones
>>
>>15772625
That's the fucking POINT of the movie, you fucking idiot. It's making political commentary on the current state of Japanese bureaucracy. Is that so hard to understand? You just don't care? You don't want the big bad real world creeping into your fantasy dinosaur movie? You just want to watch dinosaurs vs dinosaurs? You need to grow up. Not even Jurassic World was about that. High brain activity looks for deeper meaning and sociopolitical commentary discussion in media; if you can't even grasp that it's trying to open a debate, I suggest you go watch cartoons.
>>
>>15773023

While this design for Gigan was the high point of Final Wars, and Zilla getting his shit rekt is pretty entertaining, the rest of the movie is pretty bad. Not bad that you couldn't enjoy it, but bad in that it's quality is on the level of a Made for TV movie.

Well, IMO of course. You do you!
>>
>>15782433
>looking for deeper meaning and sociopolitical commentary in an escapism genre like monster movies

fags like you are the reason why we get all those shitty grimdark and realistic reboots/remakes these days
>>
>>15782670
There's a difference between making a good movie with substance and a grimdark film you dipshit.
>>
>>15782666
Different Anon, but like the Showa series Gigan; Gigan had an interesting character that I could easily give dialogue if need be. I mean he was so goddamned overconfident that he was fucking toying with Godzilla before getting killed, and literally struck a fucking victory pose after "killing" mothra. Whoever played him deserves a goddamned metal.
>>
>>15782670
Considering the franchise was literally started by a film based around deeper meanings and sociopolitical commentary before descending into escapism you can fuck right off.
>>
File: Shin Godzilla Painting.jpg (564KB, 774x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Shin Godzilla Painting.jpg
564KB, 774x2000px
There seems to be a split in the fandom of people who like and dislike Shin Godzilla. If you don't like Shin Godzilla, that's fine. But it's not a bad movie. I hate this mindset that has emerged within people of "I don't like this so it's the worst thing ever."

If you prefer Godzilla beeting up monsters and goofy plots, that's fine. If you prefer the normal heat beam, that's fine. If you don't like Godzilla's multiple evolutions, that's fine. But people need to look at the films through an objective lens. To deny that Shin Godzilla has poignant criticism of the Japanese government during the 3/11 incident and of America's relationship to Japan, excellent cinematography, really impresive effects, beautiful score, and great believable acting (except for Satomi Ishihara) just because you don't like it, makes you delusional.

Also no, I don't want to put Shin Godzilla on to high of a pedestal. There is no perfect movie. Godzilla's CGI when he was coming to a stand still after firing the heat beam was jankey as fuck. The recovery and planning stages leading up to Operation Yashiori drags. It's impressive that Ms. Ishihara could speak that much English but she wasn't a believable American. The American actors could have been less stilted. But all that the film does right far outweighs what the film does wrong.

There is an old saying, "There's no accounting for taste." Feel free to like what you like and dislike what you dislike because it changes drastically from person to person. Just don't lie and shit on something that's obviously good quality because it's not your cup of tea.
>>
>>15783787
>To deny that Shin Godzilla has poignant criticism of the Japanese government during the 3/11 incident and of America's relationship to Japan, excellent cinematography, really impresive effects, beautiful score, and great believable acting (except for Satomi Ishihara) just because you don't like it, makes you delusional.

No, the movie was just boring, impressive effects and good acting cant save a shitty plot.
>>
>>15771756
>He doesn't know that Shin is a remake of the original and deals with the fukushima disaster just like how the original dealt with Japan getting nuked
>>
>>15783787
I feel like it's a solid movie, and a really good Godzilla movie. There's a difference between the two. Toku fans are usually pretty tolerant of things like mediocre CG and bad English because it's kind of a given, so as a Godzilla movie, it might be a really good one for someone with these tolerances built in. I still found Ishihara's English immersion breaking, but I could just laugh at it, I'm used to it.

But someone watching this movie without much understanding of the franchise or genre may not get it. The CG is shoddy a lot of the time, Ishihara's acting isn't the only one that could've used some work, and the movie is just very Japanese, which may be a point of disconnect for some people.

Personally, I thought the human drama helped supplement Godzilla's might. He was stationary for a lot of the film after assuming his "final" form, but that was something of a necessary breather, and watching what was basically a fringe outfit of workers from various different fields come together when they normally wouldn't be able to was great, they all had the common goal of saving their nation, and that trumped bureaucracy. There were good messages of togetherness, coupled with the criticisms you mentioned. On top of it all, it just lent credibility to Shin Goji seeming like "god incarnate." I think the movie was ambitious, and I can see why people might have disliked the human drama in it, but it would have lost meaning if Goji just destroyed everything in sight every 5-10 minutes. Goji's Atomic Breath scene here really sticks with me, it came in at about the one-hour mark as a total and utter defeat for Japan, then the second half (which I actually preferred) served the purpose of them defying said defeat. Not perfect, but a really good movie depending on the standard its judged by.

Objectively, it's maybe a 6/10. In the franchise's context, it's probably an 8/10. At least for me. That soundtrack is fucking incredible though someone will shit because NGE.
>>
>>15783787
As someone who's only watched a few Godzilla movies in my life, I just considered it an okay movie, nothing stellar, but still nowhere near being the worst thing I've ever seen.
>>
>>15782413
>>15783787
im pretty sure Final Wars was also ambitious....
>>
So how was the movie treated in the UK, now that it's been out? Sometimes I see fans saying things like "being a Brit Godzilla fan is hell", does that still stand?
>>
>>15785162
Yes.

It was a full house when I saw it (at the Prince Charles). Loved it myself, heard a lot of people talking about it positively, but also a fair few not liking it.
>>
>>15785072
I love Shiro Sagisu, I really do, but my only complaint with the soundtrack is how many Decisive Battles there are. I didn't mind it in the movie, but while listening to all the tracks at once it gets kind of repetitive.
>>
>>15785341
True, that's totally valid. I liked that they sounded different, but it could've easily been another tune each time.
Thread posts: 114
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.