[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What to buy, how cheap are Gundam really?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 9

File: IMG_5402.jpg (120KB, 640x1049px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5402.jpg
120KB, 640x1049px
I've recently gotten excited at starting Gundam since I've seen how cheap they are, but before ordering I've learned that there's an abundance of cheap knock offs on the market. How do I tell what's legitimate and what's too-good-to-be-true?

Pic related. I found two of the same products being sold, but priced quite differently. Why is this? Is one a Chinese, low-quality fake?
>>
File: IMG_5401.jpg (81KB, 440x813px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5401.jpg
81KB, 440x813px
Here's the more expensive version.
>>
>>15766801
Get this one, OP. it comes with a free trading card.
>>
Just so ya'll know, I know almost absolutely nothing about Gundam and it's modeling.
>>
>>15766803
Are the trading cards special? Is it really worth the extra $18?
>>
>>15766799
Read the descriptions. One vendor is gouging the price to include trading cards.
>>
>>15766799
high grades really are that cheap, Amazon is just a really inconsistent place to buy it from
>>
>>15766807
No, it's just a difference in sellers. One's jacking up the price for an extra token. Different vendors charge different prices.
>>
>>15766812
This is very exciting to me. I usually buy Warhammer, so I'm almost insulted to see the prices of some of these models, it is so unbelievable. I have built a couple in the past, and they are so easy to assemble as the snap and slide together and so well-made and durable. It is quite unbelievable. This is very attractive to me now.

>>15766808
>>15766813
Why would someone do that? Just go on the internet and lie about a price just because it has a card? I get for money but how can they get away with this?
>>
>>15766799
How do these work? Can I use them for any model of 1/144 ratio size?
>>
File: IMG_5403.jpg (97KB, 640x1009px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5403.jpg
97KB, 640x1009px
>>15766824
I forgot the picture.
>>
>>15766819
>I usually buy Warhammer
My condolences for your terrible addiction. Games Workshop makes inferior products (their paints are nice I guess) and charges absolutely ludicrous prices for them. It isn't like they use some magical plastic. A box of imperial guard figures is nearly indistinguishable from a regular old bag of army guys you'd give to a 5 year old, except you get way less and they cost well over ten times as much.
Gunpla is a much better addiction, Bandai's stuff at least has engineering, and not only that, they actually fucking try to improve. And they succeed. The RG Unicorn they just released would have been absolutely impossible to pull off a few years ago.
>>15766824
what?
>>
File: h99_113.jpg (108KB, 900x520px) Image search: [Google]
h99_113.jpg
108KB, 900x520px
>>15766824
>>15766827
Well, I wouldn't suggest using the small stands for some of the 1/144 models.. But all bandai models either have holes that directly connect to their stands, or come with a piece that lets them connect to them.
>>
>>15766856
Are there better alternatives?
>>
>>15766819
I used to buy Warhammer too.
It really is crazy how much cheaper gunpla is.
And it has simmilar amounts of detail if you're good at painting it
>>
there's a gunpla/plamo general just for this man, where everyone but one tumblr tripfag talk gunpla and even do builds together as events
>>
>>15766911
bandai's 1/100 scale stands will hold up even the THICCest 1/144s without a problem.
unless you count the neo zeong, but that's just being cheeky.
I don't think Action Base 1s are sold any more, but AB 3s are just as big, sturdier, and more poseable.
>>
File: IMG_5405.jpg (102KB, 640x1009px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5405.jpg
102KB, 640x1009px
>>15766844
I thought Warhammer models had pretty good high-quality detailed models, at least that's what they tell me. I'm pretty ignorant of any modeling from other companies or games

I'm looking for stands for any models I might want to pose. Probably for 1/144 size models.
>>
>>15766844

>rg unicorn

Oh fuck, this is a real thing now? Does it actually do the full transformation without replacing parts?
>>
>>15766933
All of Bandai's stands are perfectly fine from a quality and price perspective, and they all use the same set of connectors which are compatible with all their models.
And Warhammer figurines are generally decent molds, and certainly made to a better quality than dollar store crap, but they're nothing particularly special. They certainly aren't worth inflating the price to literally hundreds of times the value of the plastic they're made of.
>>
>>15766944
Yes, and despite the fact that it's a 1/144 scale RG, it's both the sturdiest and most poseable unicorn model yet.
>>
I wish Bandai would produce fixed-pose gunpla. Articulation is nothing but a hindrance, leave that stuff to action figures.
>>
>>15766933
Depending on the kit, you might get one that comes with a simple stand. Off the top of my head I know the Nobell Gundam, Master Gundam and Fuusaiki, and Brave Commander Type come with simple stands.
>>
>>15766949
>>15766844
>>15766918
>>15766949
I thought that Games Workshop's higher prices were owed to the lore writing, rules balancing, and other features and upkeeps of the hobby and other facets of the franchise other than the modeling? Doesn't that make sense, or is it far from justified?
>>
File: But hey there's also ebay.png (199KB, 632x595px) Image search: [Google]
But hey there's also ebay.png
199KB, 632x595px
>>15766819
>I get for money but how can they get away with this?
Because it's Amazon, one of the first places most people look for stuff (least in the west). All it takes is the occasional person who doesn't shop around to happen by and buy one and their effort pays off. They're just a particularly blatant example because they toss in a card to try and make it seem a better deal.
>>
>>15767022
GW's higher prices are due to running a global business with stores all over the world. They have to pay rent and staff cost on those things.

Gunpla basically comes pre-designed concept wise and they just make the mold and go. Compared to GW who have to design every model from the ground up and you can see why it's more expensive.

Plus that's what the market will pay. The value of something isn't dictated by it's cost
>>
>>15766819
>Why would someone do that?

Because people will buy it. I mean we blame dick companies a lot but a good portion of blame lies with consumers
>>
>>15767059
>McDonald's higher prices are due to running a global business with stores all over the world. They have to pay rent and staff cost on those things.
>>
>>15767022
>>15767059
Prices are not determined on based on expenses. They are determined by a profit maximization curve.

Everyone who has gone to college knows this btw.
>>
File: 1494960769271.jpg (15KB, 374x378px) Image search: [Google]
1494960769271.jpg
15KB, 374x378px
>>15767059
>Gunpla basically comes pre-designed concept wise and they just make the mold and go.
>>
>>15767059
Every single thing you just said is misinformed except:

>Plus that's what the market will pay. The value of something isn't dictated by it's cost
>>
>>15767297
It's entirely correct. What do you think pays for GW stores? They have to sell models to run them, they're considered marketing rather than independent shops.

All Gundam designs come from anime or manga, they're pre-designed as opposed to having to go through a concept art stage as with any other miniatures
>>
>>15766799
If it's from IBO it's a cheap knockoff, stick with UC mobile suits
>>
>>15767313

NO, YOU IDIOT, GUNDAM SHOWS ARE MASE AROUND THE MODELS AND TOYS AND HAVE BEEN FOR DECADES. THE NUMBER OF KTIS THEY SELL DETERMINES HOW SUCCESSFUL THE SHOW IS. THAT'S THE ENTIRE POINT
>>
File: HAHAHA No.gif (489KB, 300x222px) Image search: [Google]
HAHAHA No.gif
489KB, 300x222px
>>15767267
>>Everyone who has gone to college knows this btw.
>>Assuming that everyone on this board has gone to college
>>
>>15767313
Knowing what the design should end up looking like is precisely none of the work that goes in to engineering a gundam model. Are you aware that they are articulated? And built with color separation? They aren't just statues like warhammer figurines.
>>
>>15767316

IBO had some decent designs, just super Gundamy
>>
>>15767313
They're designed to be models from the get go they don't usually just poop something out randomly. Designers like Katoki work on both the anime and model side of things. Regardless it's all the same company responsible for both the concepts and models.

I get what you're saying, they have the anime and manga to profit from, but that's not really true. Gundam was cancelled because it couldn't sell toys and it only got a new lease on life because it was able to sell model kits.

There was a period where video sales were a huge deal for anime but with the advent of streaming merchandising and Japan's slowness to adapt, merchandising is king once again.

The engineering that goes into Gunpla is also a hell of a lot more complex and expensive.
>>
>>15767329
What is
>super gundamy?
I like ibo, only seen s1 doe
>>
>>15767417

Not super Gundamy

They're much more contemporary edgier designs in a lot of ways
>>
Also started with warhammer and finally gave the last of it away, should have kept the ink paints though they would have been handy as fuck for panel lining some areas

Still trying to find a good reliable place in Aus to buy from. going to check out the local Shin Tokyo as they are the only place i know that have stock on hand. Staying away from ebay till its a last resort
>>
>>15767059
dude, you do know the games/animes/mangas are all commercial for the toy right?
>>
>>15766953
It's slightly bigger than 1/144.
>>
>>15771483
I don't think you know how scale works.
>>
>>15771547
Shut up.
>>
>>15767059
I'm sorry, but the molds for GunPla is really expensive. Bandai has extremely low margins for their products, which is why there has been an influx of P-Bandai products.
>>
>>15771547
The RG is taller than the HG 1/144 Unicorn, which I assume is accurate to scale. This makes the RG not 1/144, but slightly larger in scale.
>>
>>15767059
Games Workshop are also dicks with a lot of shit. cutting back on crap while doubling the price and trying to make it seem like they're doing you a favour.
>>
>>15767059
There still exist? People than defends the retarded GW polices?
>>
>>15775190
The ones who got suckered into buying £100+ sets every year or two because the cynical fuckers screwed with the rules to omit a lot of the older shit and have systematically screwed every third party retailer out of getting the new stuff.
>>
>>15766799
It'll be easier on you to just look at dedicated gunpla sites. Check out the guide in the gunpla general threads. I only fall back on Amazon if a site I'd prefer is sold out
>>
>>15775112
>the HG, a line notorious for being incorrectly scaled, is more accurate than the RG, a line that is known for striving for accuracy.

Okay.
>>
>>15775112
Why would the HG be more accurate?
>>
>>15775241
>RG, a line that is entirely about gimmick at the cost of accuracy
fixed that for ya
>>
>>15775244
You've never even seen a RG kit before, have you?
>>
>>15775241
RG are not about accuracy, and many have altered aesthetic detail. The mission goal of the line is supposed to be "What would it look like if it was built today", hence the "Real" in the name and the first release being based off of the 1:1 statue.
>>
Where can I find a 1/12th scale Gundam kit?
I want my Sentai Figuarts to pose near it.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.