[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are all Gundams as depressing as 0080? Because this was devastating.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

File: Gundam Hamburger.jpg (81KB, 721x534px) Image search: [Google]
Gundam Hamburger.jpg
81KB, 721x534px
Are all Gundams as depressing as 0080? Because this was devastating.
>>
yes , even when they don't try to be
>>
Zeta is depressingly bad and a shit sequel to the original
>>
>>15765080
No. Without getting into spoilers, Turn A has a very powerful and emotionally intense ending, but I wouldn't call it devastating or depressing.
>>
>>15765080
No, there is Gundam X, which is pretty optimistic.
>>
File: thunderbolt daryl.png (2MB, 1710x956px) Image search: [Google]
thunderbolt daryl.png
2MB, 1710x956px
There's Thunderbolt which is even more bleak and depressing.
>>
>>15765080
>cannibalism
pretty dark
>>
>>15765118
How can a cancelled series be optimistic?
>>
>>15765212
What does its cancellation have to do with its tone?
>>
>>15765080
Most are pretty depressing. 0080 takes the crown in that area though.
>>
I was depressed after watching stardust memory because I thought it would be better than it actually was.
>>
File: hdkdg.png (49KB, 186x247px) Image search: [Google]
hdkdg.png
49KB, 186x247px
>>15765080
>ones that aren't depressing at all
SEED (shit)
Unicorn (shit)
F91 (worth a watch)
>>
>>15765183
but in 0080 you actually cared for the characters
>>
>>15765080
Stargazer's full of suffering, but the ending is a bit ambiguous
unless you read the manga

SEED was pretty sad too since most of the characters are gone by the end.
The original ending had Kira die and Athrun crippled

Victory has a lot of death, but its overall tone is actually pretty optimistic and hopeful
But it just becomes darker when you consider all the terror that follows despite that hope

IBO and TB kinda do the same thing, but a lot of it is just done for cheap shock value like the gore stuff in SEED
>>
File: 1501547437946.jpg (114KB, 1000x749px) Image search: [Google]
1501547437946.jpg
114KB, 1000x749px
>>15765080
0083 has some pretty dark implications.

>Synapse is allegedly executed
>Monsha, Adel, Bate and the rest of the Albion crew likely died during the Gryps Conflict
>Uraki has to settle with a cunt who considers him second best

I think Keith and Mora are probably the only ones who get a perfect happy ending among the cast.
>>
>>15765183
thunderbolt is just edgy, though
I was there just hoping to watch the machines getting down and dirty and barely cared for the characters.
>>
>>15765406
It's definitely dark but it's also a case of, "I don't care about any of these people," so it's not too depressing.
>>
>>15765419
Getting fucked up in a war is now edgy
>>
>>15765444
I won't look mature and above it all if I don't bitch and whine about anything mildly dark and call it edgy regardless of context.
>>
>>15765183
Thunderbolt isn't depressing, it's just autistic
>>
>>15765080
>devastated by Chinese cartoons
Seek help
>>
>>15765264
{u}
>>
>>15765183
fuck the zeeks TB is zeek propaganda
>>
>>15765444
Not him, but Thunderbolt doesn't spend enough time developing its characters or conflict for the audience to care.
People like to say shit like "tunderbolt is about the futility of war" but they never go in-depth to explain why they think so, they just see the smoke and mirrors.
When characters die in Thunderbolt I feel nothing, no sadness, no sense of loss, nothing, and it's because there's nothing behind them.
We're never shown the reasons for why their fighting beyond mission briefings, there's no presence of a greater ideology or even a sense of unification among the feddie soldiers.
And Io is a generic dudebro soldier.
This would be fine if Thunderbolt was just trying to portray itself in the light of an action-packed war film as seen in the 80s and 90s.
At times it tries to seem like more then it is by including things like Daryls past, and other gritty elements it pulls out of thin air to make some kind of connection with the audience.
But it falls really flat there.

tl;dr Thunderbolt has no substance and any "substance" in it is smoke and mirrors.
>>
>>15766221
>tl;dr Thunderbolt has no substance and any "substance" in it is smoke and mirrors.

I don't disagree but it's about as effective as you could get in an hour long run-time. I think it's fine for what it is though people shouldn't compare it to stuff like 0080.
>>
>>15766221
Thunderbolt I love for Naruyoshi's free jazz and brutal spectacle backed by Takaya Hirotoshi's characted designs. 0080 I love as a complete package, a touching story. BDs cannot come out soon enough. Will rewatch.
>>
File: just like the simulations.jpg (109KB, 900x876px) Image search: [Google]
just like the simulations.jpg
109KB, 900x876px
>>15765107
>Turn A has a very powerful and emotionally intense ending
>I went in believing this meme
>nothing really happens: the gundam series

The only episode that was cool I guess was the episode revealing the dark history. The final battle with Turn A and Turn X was lackluster as fuck
>>
File: IMG_0876.png (370KB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0876.png
370KB, 854x480px
>>15765080
D-dun worry anon!

They got their happy end in another life!

Really!
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.