[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Heavy Gear

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 12

File: 450px-Heavyg000.jpg (52KB, 450x276px) Image search: [Google]
450px-Heavyg000.jpg
52KB, 450x276px
How does /m/ feel about Heavy Gear as a series and a wargame?
>>
Haven't actually played it, but I really like what they did with the game. They got a good variety of robot armies these days and a couple of really nice designs in there.
>>
>>15761539
the reason i ask is because my friend wants to role play in the heavy gear universe using a D&D spin off. I know nothing about the universe really so its hard to do.
>>
>>15761536
I loved Heavy gear 2 when I was a kid.

I still have my disc but I haven't played it in years because it's almost impossible to get it to run on win7
>>
>>15761553
>D20

Not even once.

Everything else depends on a lot of factors, like the actual period you're going to be playing in.

But if you're playing on the main planet, you basically got the North and the South with a planet-spanning equatorial desert belt between them. North and South are split into various member states who all wear different hats and they used robotics rather than slavery during the early phase of the colonization.

Those robots, which have limited neural network AIs with about the smarts of a horse, are used as all-terrain light combat units. They fold like wet tissue paper whenever they come up against a tank or a chopper, but being sealed and powered allows them to operate inside the roadless badlands effectively. Which is where most conflicts take place.
>>
Found it a bit fiddly of what I tried it, seemed quite good though.

Rest of it was hit and miss, fuck knows what they were thinking with the animated series they did on it.
>>15761569
HG2 was mostly better than the first game but they screwed the feedback from most guns, everything felt the same compared to the difference in what you used in HG1.
>>
File: 2017-06-11-13-08-08-miniature_1.jpg (292KB, 584x438px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-11-13-08-08-miniature_1.jpg
292KB, 584x438px
The wargame is fucking rad, I've got mountains of it and went and super autistically named all my pilots.

Link related: https://ideaswithoutend.wordpress.com/2017/05/14/heavy-gear-army-backstory-btrt-special-unit-k71/
>>
>>15761536
soft
>>
I really like the Heavy Gear RPG and I appreciate that the Heavy Gear miniatures game actually has a pretty workable EW system.
>>
>>15761536
Got the first kickstarter, been wanting to play since I was 10, but things keep getting in the way.
>>
>>15761536
too bad heavy gear assault looks like s hit
>>
>>15761569
Copying and pasting from the archives -

Here I am.
These are the steps to getting Heavy Gear 2 to work on Windows 7.
http://pastebin.com/bYNvVtzJ
Pirate Bay's down, but you can find the ISO for the disk really easily from the Internet Archive (it says it's shareware, but it's the full thing.)
https://archive.org/details/Games_Machine_Heavy_Gear_II_Activision_1999
And if you can't get download it for whatever reason, here's a direct link; it's inside /games/heavy gear 2/ Plus some extra stuff you can take if you want.
https://mega.co.nz/#F!fUJSyBDB!UvkWaU4EteLzth1e60vFYA

Culling fix -http://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/355-heavy-gear-ii-culling-fix/
>>
Are we not talking about the show?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9xP7-yaGgw
>>
>>15763514
the pom pom girls look like they're holding human heads......
>>
>>15763514
I love how it's canon in universe as a bad pro-wrestling style show put out by the Republic as propaganda.
>>
>>15761553
D20? Don't. Just don't.

Play either 2nd edition Heavy Gear RPG, or the much, much, MUCH simpler Heavy Gear D6 RPG.
>>
>>15763514
I appreciate it as a full season of Armored Core intros
>>
>>15763514
It got really, I don't even know, when they started having mechs with hoverboards and fights against giant skeletal dinosaur robots.
>>
>>15761536
I love heavy gear. I grew up with battletech and heavy gear games and HG will always have a special spot in my heart.

1999 was gold for mech fans as mw3, HG2, and starsiege came out and i was loving it.

I like HG because the roles of mechs in the universe make sense and there is a cool diversity of infantry, tanks, mechs, and air.

I just wish they would get a better god damned artist.
>>
File: KodiakWeb08-600x600.jpg (76KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
KodiakWeb08-600x600.jpg
76KB, 600x600px
>>15763360
assault hot poop.

the UI is unintelligible from the start menu to the in-game player UI. I had no idea how to re-load (if that was even a feature), once you went prone you couldn't stand-up, and the combat felt entirely unsatisfactory. You could unload on someone and it didnt feel like you did anything because the game didn't give quality feedback on all your hits.
>>
>>15764040
I heard there was a really good Heavy Gear shooter on the PC.
>>
>>15764107
It's called MWLL.
>>
>>15763420
>https://mega.co.nz/#F!fUJSyBDB!UvkWaU4EteLzth1e60vFYA

So it looks like this link contains the game pre-patched and fixed, is that right?
>>
I have no idea if this is true, but I heard the pinkies on the mechs in Heavy Gear are opposable.

I thought that to be a clever idea, since it basically allows you to grip an object twice.

I've seen the concept before in a manga where one of the security guard robots has those. Can't remember the name though, i was a bunch of Japanese crap and I was 14 at the time.
>>
>>15764286
Yes but you have to apply the culling fix after downloading it. Then it will run smoothly on win7 and 8.
>>
>>15765087
Plus you will also have to mount the play disc (provided in the archive dot org link) in order to run the game.
>>
I haven't done much with Heavy Gear beyond read through one of the rulebooks, but I've had some fun with hacking the Silhouette system (mostly from Jovian Chronicles) into some sort of space boat tactical combat game. Sadly, I couldn't go very far GMing it due to not enough actual plot, but it's a fun experiment and something I'll certainly hang onto.
>>
>>15764107
There were two. The first won't run on modern PCs and the second is super hard to get running and will crash on you a lot.
>>
Someone uploaded Heavy Gear 1 on /vr/

>>>/vr/4180679
>>
>>15765761
Too bad it doesn't work on modern PCs.
>>
>>15765829
Maybe someday someone might fix it or release a patch of it. Who knows. Besides the 2nd disc is good in this one. I got from piratebay crashed when I mounted it.
>>
>>15765761
>>15765836
Weird shit is that my copy of HG1 came on one disc.
>>
>>15765850
There were different releases.
>>
>>15766358
Obviously but it's still strange, I'm sure it wasn't a DVD release, so somehow they either compressed shit down better or the two disc version was needlessly duplicating stuff.
>>
>>15761976
What miniature is that on the left?
>>
>>15767132
Looks like a Kodiak.
>>
File: heavy gear assault what.jpg (489KB, 2200x1203px) Image search: [Google]
heavy gear assault what.jpg
489KB, 2200x1203px
My biggest beef with Heavy Gear Assault is that they changed all the designs too much. Way too "generic" looking now, and they removed all the skirt armor from designs because they said it got in the way of everything when animating and clipped into things nonstop.
>>
File: heavygear grizzly.jpg (198KB, 976x670px) Image search: [Google]
heavygear grizzly.jpg
198KB, 976x670px
>>15767662

Heres what a Grizzly should look like.
>>
>>15767662
I'm torn about Assault.

On one hand, I want it to fail because the makers are a bunch of faggots whose every decision, be it design or business, is pure retardation.
On the other, if Assault fails chances are there will be no way in hell we'll see a new, actually good HG game ever again.
>>
There anything like Megamek for HG?
>>
>>15767764

LITERALLY the only reason they are making Heavy Gear:Assault is because the Mechwarrior liscense was already taken by the retards making the spectacularly awful Mechwarrior:Online, so they made Heavy Gear instead.

They were one of the biggest modding groups for Mechwarrior 3 and 4, and wanted to finally make a real MW game.
>>
>>15767787
That explains why it's blatantly clear they don't give a single shit about the source material at all.
>>
>>15767787
To be fair, that's also exactly why they made Heavy Gear 1 and 2 too.
>>
>>15767350
>>15767132
It's a Raven and a Naga
>>
>>15761553
>D20.
I really hate hacks than do it, it's such a mess of a system. Even GURPS, in his autistic screeching way, is a lot better for that shit.

About Heavy Gear, I love it, Southern Mechs are my jam, such cute scope dog ones like the Iguana or the Black mamba specially. My true waifu is the Sidewinder tough.
Jovian Chronicles is also pretty good, more Gundam like with rather hard sci.
>>
>>15767830
What? Heavy Gear 1 and 2 were made by the same company who were making the mechwarrior PC games.

Fucking Heavy Gear 1 was the same engine as Mechwarrior 2.
>>
>>15767942
I love Silhouette but it desperately needs an update. There was going to be a new edition of the HG RPG but Arkrite took the money and ran, there's been no news about it for over a year and DP9's only response is to just shrug any time anyone asks.

In the meantime the D6 conversion has been gaining ground as the defacto new edition HG RPG:
https://banzaidyne.wordpress.com/heavy-gear-d6/
>>
>>15767952
Yes. And they lost the license so they made Heavy Gear.
>>
>>15767960
Nice, speed reading it all and it seemed interesting enough (it's also a good way to introduce Heavy gear, very condesnced snipets etc). It's dream pod aproved? Because I see plenty of art of them.
>>
>>15768029
Apparently, yes. The dude who makes them also posts them on the official forums and gets permission from DP9 before doing so, and it has been featured in both the official and unofficial fan magazine at some point or another.

That's half the reason it's the defacto new edition.
>>
>>15768076
That's cool, for what I read in his blog, he is making some alternate HG universe and all, I will have to follow him for raiding stuff.
>>
>>15767662
They look like cheap plastic toys now
>>
>>15767662
The grizzly seems puny along the spitting cobra, I approve.
>>
>>15771138
They're actually the same size, ALL the Gears in this stupid fucking game are the same size, because they all use the same skeleton and the only """"""""difference""""""" between any of them is the fucking armor parts.

Griz just looks smaller because the Cobra has that ugly ass bubble "armor" giving it more bulk.

Sorry if I get all mad about it but none of the Gears in this game look even remotely like their tabletop counterparts except in the most superficial of ways, the whole thing is a fucking insult to HG fans.
>>
>>15771169
It looks really lame, even HG1 + 2 managed some differences, not to mention having the weird arse walker gears.
>>
File: heavy gear spitting cobra.jpg (63KB, 450x560px) Image search: [Google]
heavy gear spitting cobra.jpg
63KB, 450x560px
>>15771138

This is a Spitting Cobra. I dont know how they could fuck up the design so bad in HGA, when they have little 3D miniatures with designs that the fans love.
>>
>>15771366
It's not made with the fans in mind, it's made with poaching users from MWO.
>>
>>15772096
And seeing as how they've been failing to get ANY interest at all from that community, the whole game is literally nothing but failures.
>>
>>15774025
True, the MWO community like their failures and being ripped off in a specific way.
>>
>>15771366
I like how obviously inspired by Okawara the mechs are.
>>
File: image.jpg (109KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
109KB, 500x500px
>>15767662
Left reminds me of The O
>>
>>15774847
DP9 doesn't hide the fact the Gears are heavily inspired by the VOTOMs designs, they admit it freely and quite readily.
>>
>>15774896
And Jovian Chronicles is their Gundam Homage, right?
>>
>>15775180
Yes, and just like the HG/Votoms connection they're not shy about it.
>>
>>15771169
>because they all use the same skeleton

CONSOLES
>>
>>15775250

HG moved well beyond VOTOMS long ago though,

Honestly, the only thing the two settings really had in common to begin with were similar robots.
>>
>>15775266
No one is saying otherwise, dude.
>>
OP here,

My GM said we're playing in the badlands on the way to some central city. I dont know where he found this D&D hack but its kind of confusing and so far I have been kind of saying nothing and trying to learn the lore.
>>
>>15775654
Tell your DM he's a fucking idiot for not using a system that can actually work for HG.
>>
File: fLPA60Z.jpg (123KB, 662x881px) Image search: [Google]
fLPA60Z.jpg
123KB, 662x881px
Mekton Z > Heavy Gear
>>
>>15775654
Send him some signals. I speed read the d6 and i'm sure it's a lot more easy than wathever unholy concotion your DM is making.
>>
File: Char-Drinking.gif (500KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Char-Drinking.gif
500KB, 500x375px
>>15775913
>MFW the campaign I was running crashed because my life fell to pieces.
>>
>>15775258
It's PC only tho
>>
>>15774896
I realy meant it. I think Okwara's real robot designs are great. It's funny how he isn't talked about that much despite being first guy to be ccredited as a mechanical designer and having career spanning four decades.
>>
>>15776275
They are my prefered kind of mech too, I could see people actually using them unlike the majority of other mechs. Dunno why they aren't more popular too, Code Geass ones where fun to see fighting in the s1.
>>
>>15764017
I think the main artist croacked or something, so the pseudo animu style will probably die off.
>>
>>15763420
I'm running Windows 10 but want to play. What do?
>>
File: ashanti book hunter.jpg (125KB, 420x926px) Image search: [Google]
ashanti book hunter.jpg
125KB, 420x926px
>>15781274
Ghislain Barbe is still alive, and posts daily random sketches every day on Facebook.

He stopped working at DP9 in the early 2000s, but has done some artwork from time to time. The last few books before SilCore had another artist that honestly wasn't as good as Barbe. There have been a bunch of other artists that have done new artwork for Heavy Gear Blitz, many with a more realistic tone.

As for dying, that was his wife last year. From cancer.
>>
>>15781934
Have you tried running it?
>>
>>15783373
I mean is there a guide for how to boot it in Windows 10 like there is for Windows 7?
>>
>>15783739
None I know so far
See here if there is something you can find
https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Heavy_Gear_II
>>
>>15776275
I think it's mostly because he started off MS Gundam.

The whole shtick with robots is that mobile suits are icky and you get all sorts of browny points for being less similar to them.
Even if it means you whore out his other works, you successfully deny his most famous work and thus deny the guy in question.
>>
>>15782358
Oh, it was the wife?
Well, I don't hate his stuff, specially the mechs, but the new ones ain't bad.
>>
>>15782358
>>15786578
His mechanical art is far better than his character art. His drawings of mechanical things is fucking SUPERB, but his characters look... amateurish at best. You'd almost think they were done by completely different artists.

Whatever happened to that Japanese chick they got to do a lot of the Blitz art? She's fantastic at character art.
>>
>>15767662
If you isolate the hip design i think it is a pretty clever and neat way to remove skirts from the mechs. but why the fuck did they have to alter everything else to make it look like shit.
>>
>>15775913
I donĀ“t like the catalog approach of mekton z. whenever I hear people talking about mekton it is always to point buy some weird mecha build
>>
>>15787455
Part laziness, part trying to look clever despite the laziness, and part just not giving a shit about the IP at all.

As much as I love HG I just fucking want the game to fail at this point to teach those idiots a lesson.
>>
>>15787491
MZ hasn't aged well, and quite frankly the system is hot garbage to begin with. Far better games have come out since its time and MZ should just be allowed to die.
>>
>>15788628
Mekton Zeta is a perfectly fine game and I honestly don't get what people have against it.
>>
>>15771169
>all gears are the smae size
for
what
purpose
>>
>>15790712
Laziness.
>>
>>15771169
>same size
That's retarded.

I miss the old HG games. Why can't we get proper HG video games anymore?
>>
>>15792083
Dunno, and it's a shame, a semi-hard sci fi universe than has plenty of cool stuff, good mechs and other vehicles etc would make a great turn based game or something too, the new Terran invasion for example has plenty of shit going on.
>>
>>15792088
Darn. A video game that is either turn-based or like the old HGs would be fun.

King Cobra is awesome.
>>
>>15792102
I would even like a Grand strategy like stuff in Terranova, it would be cool as fuck.
Great taste, tought Iguana it's my waifu. South gears best gears.
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.